Speaker 1: With Robinhood, not only can you trade individual stocks and ETFs, you can also seamlessly buy and sell crypto at low costs, trade all in one place. Get started now on robin Hood.
Speaker 2: Trading Crypto involved significant risk. Crypto trading is offered through an account with the Robinhood Crypto LC. Robin Hood Crypto is licensed to engagement virtual currency business activity by the New York State Department of Financial Services, Crypto Health thro robin Hood Cryptos not fd IC insured or SIPC protected. Investing involves risk, including loss of principle Securities. Trading is offered through an account with robin Hood Financial LLC member SIPC, a registered broker dealer.
Speaker 3: Back Dah's episode five on Your Leisure Podcasts, Thank you Again called us a portal.
Speaker 4: The feedback keep sending us in with the suggestions.
Speaker 3: We greatly appreciate it, and we'll try to get into our definitely into our topics.
Speaker 4: We're gonna start right away with maybe of silence.
Speaker 5: Man here, so we're going to talk about snapchat. Snapchat is interesting for a few different reasons. But yeah, he said a moment of silence because we you know, we said, like the death.
Speaker 4: Of Snapchat definitely.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Snapchat something I never really was really keen on. I never really got on the snack. I never got on the Snapchat, but obviously it became very popular, especially amongst young people. Instagram kind of took the features a lot of it, most of it.
Speaker 3: So it becomes popular for that alone. Like, well, a couple of things. Number one was that it had the filters, Like most people even like that we're on Instagram will go to Snapchat to get the features, the filters and put them on their posts. But another thing that they had, which actually was against them later in the future, is that the pictures the content was only available for a short period of time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, twenty four hours and then like disappeared and stuff like that. So all right, so Snapchat. Before we even saw talking about Snapchat, we got to go back to the last episode we talked about Kylie Jenner, So she plays a major part in Snapchat as well, because about a year ago, year and a half ago, she had an issue with Snapchat and she tweeted pretty negative tweet about Snapchat and that right after she tweeted that, the stock price dropped six percent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was their owndoing though, like I think they had an update. They updated and it changed the design of change the design.
Speaker 5: So she tweets that she's leaving pretty much or she's not feeling Snapchat anymore, and it's the stock price dropped six percent the next day. This is crazy, which equals a one point three billion dollar drop. So she she dropped the company's value one point three billion dollars in one day off of one tweet. Pretty powerful. So the first quarter of twenty eighteen, Snapchat had one hundred and eighty one million users. Second quarter of twenty eighteen, they had one hundred and eighty eight million users, So they were on a steady decline. They had a study that said forty percent of their staffers were planning to leave. They have three thousand employees. Forty percent of their staffers are playing the lead, which is almost half of their employees. They still haven't made a profit yet. Yeah, they made They haven't made a profit yet, right, And that's interesting too. Not to go off topic, but a lot of these companies that we see are not profitable and have never been profitable. So if you look at it from like a small business standpoint, it's like a small business, you can't run a bakery if you've never made a profit. But a lot of these multi billion dollar companies have never made a profit, and they've been in existence for five years, six years, so it's interesting, like Uber or lyft, so all right, so, but the interesting thing about it is that it was looking like the death of Snapchat. Right, They was looking good at all twenty eighteen, But towards the end of twenty eighteen they were able to actually pull themselves together and they're kind of stable. They stopped losing users. So now people are saying, is this the rebirth of Snapchat? Kind of like Twitter? Like Twitter was kind of went through a similar situation where for a while people kind of thought they were dead and they had a resurgence and now you know, Twitter is moving up again. But Snapchat still has a lot of problems. Though they have a lot of debt. They they still haven't fully understood how to monetize their system yet because they're not profitable, and they have their biggest competitor, which is Facebook. Right, so Facebook, Facebook is interested in the social media game because we've seen them take over and like we talked last episode about Amazon, Facebook might be the Amazon of social media, right, So in twenty and thirteen, they they offer Snapchat three billion dollars to buy them out.
Speaker 4: I think it was like four billion, alright, three to four.
Speaker 5: They offered them that amount to buy them out, and they didn't take the deal. Now, the reason why I was interested is that the year before that, they paid one billion for Instagram exact right, and and interesting at the time they brought Instagram for one billion because I remember the guy CEO of Instagram at the time, he was on the cover of Forbes and they was like, Instagram gets brought and this is the early stages of Instagram. So obviously they had the vision to offer them one billion because it's actually a good deal looking at it now. But everybody was saying, why would you pay one billion for a company that never made any money? They asked the CEO, They said, Instagram has never made any money, and he said, that's not true. We just made a billion.
Speaker 4: Dollars, right, So you.
Speaker 5: Know, if you look at it from that standpoint, So they buy Instagram for one billion in twenty twelve, then they buy WhatsApp for nineteen billion, which is gonna buy it for the petitors in twenty fourteen. Now, people especially in the America, I don't think peop will fully understand the power of WhatsApp. But overseas WhatsApp is huge. Like overseas, everybody use WhatsApp, not.
Speaker 4: Just overseas, like people who have family.
Speaker 5: But what I'm saying, if you have, if you're trying to, because it's free and you know you can. You can do facetimes, you can do calls, you can do texts. Pretty much everything you do with a cell phone you can do through the WhatsApp. So they paid nineteen billion for WhatsApp. So when they offer Snap three billion, a lot of people were surprised that Snap turned it down.
Speaker 4: Said no, man, say, it's kind of.
Speaker 5: Hard to turn down three billion dollars. That's an interesting decision. But the risk that they run in that is to say, okay, either get down or lay down, right like mber Vine another moment of silence, so Vine people don't even remember Vine anymore.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they had the eight second clips.
Speaker 5: They had the eight second video clips. That was it.
Speaker 3: That was it day Yeah, and so like so like what happens is like Instagram and Facebook. Really they look at these features, they said, oh that's really cool.
Speaker 4: All right, the next update we're putting it.
Speaker 5: On they so, now that was so crazy. Vine Vine was all over the place. Within two months, Instagram took them out of business because they had eight second video clips. Instagram released ten second video I think fifteen first, I think it was ten. At first they took their It was disrespectful. It was like for one second more.
Speaker 4: Then they took the Snapchat filter.
Speaker 5: So no, no, no, I know, but I'm I'm saying that Vine thing happened within three months and there were no more Vine great. So then they took Snapchats filters and the stories and the thing pretty much everything. No apology. Yeah, and Snapchat has struggled since, right.
Speaker 4: You know. But there's an interesting thing also in Snapchat.
Speaker 3: In twenty sixteen, they get off with another deal from this company named Google thirty billion. You know what, they say, no, say no again, wow, thirty billion. This time Google was like, listen, face, look is all competitive. They have Instagram. What's that We're gonna try to We're gonna throw more money at them and offer them this and again they say no.
Speaker 5: Wow, Well there you have it. I mean. The interesting thing is that the stock ip old a few years ago at twenty seven dollars. Now it's at nine dollars.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean a couple of things work again.
Speaker 3: So like when it started, it was like cool to have your content disappear, right, But what's happening is that social media influences, like on Instagram, it actually works for your benefit now because people can go back in time and look.
Speaker 5: I don't know how you market it on I don't know how you market yourself on Snapchat because it's it's such it's so disposable, right, it doesn't stay.
Speaker 3: Like, how could somebody look back at what you were trying to say?
Speaker 5: If it's gone, they have challenges. But the stock from the stocks that go to twenty seven to nine, it's pretty disturbing. And actually last year they was actually contemplating taking it off the stock market and making private again, which hardy ever happened when that happen, Yeah, that hardly ever happened. So I don't know, man. Sometimes you know, it's we always talk about not selling and keeping your independence, and I respect that, but it's a thin line. Sometimes you have to know when to sell and reinvent yourself, right, Like it's a couple like Elon Musk is a perfect example of that, right, So he starts with PayPal. He sells PayPal I think for like two hundred million dollars. He flips that into SpaceX in Tesla. Now he's one of the richest people in the world. He could have just stayed with PayPal, but who knows if he would have reached the status that he's at now. Same thing with Mark Cuban, right, Mark Cuban has I forgot what his company was called, but it was a sports streaming type.
Speaker 4: Of h He was like one of the first guys who.
Speaker 5: Video for sports. Yeah, who buys it for a billion a couple billion. He flips that and he buys the Mavericks and a lot of other companies, and now he's Mark.
Speaker 4: Cuban, So buy more company.
Speaker 5: In business, sometimes you have to know. It's like fighting, right, you gotta know when to walk away. You gotta know when the fall.
Speaker 4: It's like poker, you should what's your analogy on the parties?
Speaker 5: You gotta leave nothing. So I used to go clubing a lot in my younger days. So I mastered the club scene, and I realized that nothing good happens after three am. That's when all the fights happened.
Speaker 4: When everything settled.
Speaker 5: Yeah, nothing happens at three four am. Right. You might leave a party at two and it might have a half an hour left of good partying, But you had two and a half hours, right, So the risk of having a half an hour left is not worth the Well, the reward of having a half an hour of a good party is not worth the tremendously bad things have to happen for that extra half an hour at your stay, so you have to leave. You have to leave the party at two am. So this is similar is sometimes you can stay at the party for too long and you know, you wake up next day and like, what did I do? So Snapchat, I don't know. What's an interesting story. We'll see, we'll follow it. But thirty billion, I don't know. That's tough. That's tough to turn down. Man, for a company that's never made any money and it's not projected to make any money anytime soon. Somebody offers you thirty billion you've never made a profit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, difficult.
Speaker 3: If somebody's gonna learn from this, hopefully them and then other companies will learn from it.
Speaker 5: Or it'll be a case study hard All right, Well, Snapchat, we'll see, we'll see what happens with snapchat.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, we're gonna move to a new segment.
Speaker 5: Here's a little story that must be toold.
Speaker 1: Listen up, gangsters and honeys with your head done.
Speaker 3: The best story tell us stuff now right up myself. Gray out, its gray down, its gray out, it's gree douts. Right, we're gonna do this new segment is like you said, we'd like to go into some case study in some behind the scenes of sports entertainment that people don't really know about but probably should, and sometimes it gets swept under and overlooked. And today we want to talk about a gentleman named Junior Bridgeman.
Speaker 5: Yes, Junior Bridgeman. So, Junior Bridgeman is interesting for a few different reasons. Right, you probably never heard of him before, but he was an ex NBA player. He played from nineteen seventy five to nineteen eighty seven, so he had a pretty decent career. He played twelve years in the league. Journeyman. You know, he wasn't a star player, but six men at best, I think. Yeah. So at that point in time, NBA players, you know, they weren't making tremendous amounts of money and good income for that time frame, but nothing. How we know now one hundred million dollar contract stuff like that. It wasn't making that. So he actually reached his peak salary of three hundred and fifty thousand in nineteen eighty five. Right, So he's an interested person because a lot of times we talk about athletes and entertainers and how they make bad decisions with their money and they make a lot of money and then when they retire, they broke, they have to file for bankruptcy. So he as I said, you know, mid level player. He made decent money, but not a tremendous amount of money. So towards the tail end of his career, he starts planning for his future outside of basketball, right, because he knows that basketball is only going to last so long and it's going to run up eventually.
Speaker 3: He started starting not schedule in nineteen eighty five, so he was making three hundred and fifty thousand, but in the off seasons, he started a job like he was selling life insurance.
Speaker 4: Like most people think, like NBA player, like, what is he doing? Like he had to earn more income.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so he starts, so he gets introduced to the franchise game, right, fast through franchises, and he starts to study franchises in the off season, and he actually starts to work at a local Windy's. And this is interesting, right, So he starts to work at a local Windy's in the offseason. So at the time, it's kind of a weird situation because you have an NBA basketball player who's working in Windy's, right. But he didn't work in Windy's obviously because he needed the money. He worked in Wendy's because his plan was to buy a Windy's franchise and he wanted to learn that in the workings and the culture of the actual business. So he's figured what better way to learn about it than to actually work in the franchise, I think, or something like that. So he starts to work in Windy's. By Tommy retires, he has three Windys franchises. Right. In the next fifteen years, he turns those three Windy's franchises into one hundred and sixty Windys franchises and also one hundred and twenty Chiles franchises, So he had one hundred and sixty Windy's franchises, which made him the second largest franchisee holder for Wendy's in the world, No. In America, in the world. He owned the second amount, the second largest amount of Windy's in the world out of anybody. He also brought in another legend, well, an NBA legend, Chauncey billups to twenty thirteen, two thouand thirteen.
Speaker 3: Chauncey's at the tail end of his career but wants to go into the entrepreneur world and knows about bridgement, and he says, can you help me?
Speaker 5: Yeah, So him and Chauncey by thirty Wendy's.
Speaker 4: But not just thirty.
Speaker 3: So like they buy thirty Wendy's in the Saint Louis area, which pretty much is every Wendy's in Saint Louis. They buy in every restaurant in the city of Saint Louis. That's pretty remarkable.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So he ends up his last his biggest salary was still on your fifty thousand, right. He ends up owning one hundred and sixty Windy's, He one hundred and twenty Chilis, and he amasses a network for four hundred million in the process. But that's not the end of the story.
Speaker 3: No story gets better. So we're gonna go from city Saint Louis. In twenty sixteen, he wants to go bigger, bigger vision, so you know, he decides that he's gonna look into Coca Cola, and twenty sixteen he buys a company. He starts with a company Heartland Coca Cola Bottling, and that takes over the region of the midwest of Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, and he becomes a distributor for Coca Cola in that region, right, and that gross is even more money.
Speaker 4: Okay, story doesn't that in there though.
Speaker 3: After that, he partners with a gentleman in Canada to take over Coca Cola Canada. So he went from Saint Louis to city to taking over Midwest region of distributing to taking over the country of Canada's bottling and distributing for Coca Cola.
Speaker 5: So he sells his win these franchises, right and buys Coca Cola distribution centers right in Canada, well in the Midwest.
Speaker 4: I think he has eighteen in Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska.
Speaker 3: And then from there he takes over the entire distribution facilities for Canada, which is crazy. And then right now like present day, I think he's in talk he might be the front runner to buy Sports Illustrated, Like it's off his heal. I think he him and Dan Gilbert, who is the owner of the Cleveland Paths, are like the finalists to buy the company. And he's leading Canada to buy Sports Illustrated, a magazine he probably hasn't been in but since maybe the eighties.
Speaker 5: So okay. So I heard Dane Dadd say something a few weeks ago. He said, y'all, y'all sell records. I sell companies, right, And that's kind of what we spoke about even with Snapchat as far as a lot of times in business, part of business is building a legacy, building a company and keeping it. But another part of it is building it and selling it and then moving on to the next thing. Right. So that's pretty much what he did. What he's doing, right, He's constantly moving up the ladder by leveraging his businesses. He's building businesses and then he's selling businesses. And another thing, it's interesting a boy his stories. A lot of time people, you know, they ask how do you become an entrepreneur? How do you start a business? You don't always necessarily have to start a business to be a business owner or to be an entrepreneur. Right, So he's an entrepreneur, he's a business owner, but it's not he doesn't own Wendy's, but he owns He owned a lot of them. He owns, you know, Coca Cola in a sense by owning different centers and distribution. It's not his company, but that's another way to go about it as well. Franchise's owning franchises. You know, lebron owns some Blaze pizzas. So we've seen this play before and that's one of the good things with you know, buying into an established business already is that you're not reinventing the wheel, right. They have a set formula in place, So that's another avenue, you know, if somebody is looking to get into business but they don't necessarily want to start everything from the ground up. It's good exactly and like he's.
Speaker 4: Like it's a play on words, but like hes.
Speaker 3: This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure they definitely can be, but understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to safe plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member FDIC.
Speaker 4: Ernest What's up?
Speaker 3: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like the checkout is fast, the receipts are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds Odds are they're using Square. We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners. Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run and grow. It's not just about payments. It's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most Ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward.
Speaker 6: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer, speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod katz thirteen. Just go to Indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast terms into is applying hiring Indeed.
Speaker 3: Is all you need is a real franchise player, right, Like he owns a bunch of franchises and sells them. But like in our world, in sports world, franchise player is the most dominant and the best player on the team.
Speaker 4: But like this guy has another player on it, Like he is.
Speaker 5: A franchise and he's somebody that you probably I'm almost sure that nobody's heard of him.
Speaker 3: I mean, but even that franchise you remember, like early maybe mid two thousands, like we sat down and we were trying to like get money together to get a franchise, and it was like this ice cream company that no one quite heard of, and then like.
Speaker 4: Two years later that becomes Coldstone.
Speaker 3: Like so we had that vision and yeah, sometimes it doesn't work, but that doesn't mean you stop, Like let's start a new vision.
Speaker 5: And even Rick Ross, right, we look at we look at somebody like Rick Ross, who and I made a post about that as far as like the importance of family business where he owns I don't know how many, but he owns a lot of wing stops and he also owns checkers now and his family, his sister and his mom, they helped run a lot of the locations. So that's somebody else.
Speaker 4: Who's just not saying it themeing Lemon Pepper for no reason.
Speaker 5: Right. That was Wings in his cillar, right, and he's not you know, he could have opened his own restaurant, but he chose to go with an established line that he believed in that he already was eating on a regular fasis and it's not wrong with that. A lot of times, you know, we look at it like if it's not one hundred percent something that we started ourselves, we have to get out of that mindset, because collaboration works in a lot of different ways, right, So you can collaborate with somebody you know, or you can collaborate with somebody that you don't know, But if it's mutually beneficial, that's what business comes down to. So you don't have to do everything yourself. And we could break that down on a micro level as far as just you know, having business partners or you know, a lot of times you feel like you have to do every single thing yourself, or you have to have a complete control of the situation, and that's not always beneficial. You know, you can learn from other people's success and you can duplicate their success. There's nothing new under the sun. So it's important not to feel ashamed or embarrassed if you're not actually starting the idea yourself, because it can still be successful. You can still make a lot of money, you can still employ people, you can still be beneficial and do good things.
Speaker 3: And there's valuable lessons like when he originally started doing the Windy's and working and their customers were coming in and laughing like this is an NBA player, this is what hes succumbed to, but not realizing like his vision is long term, like I'm gonna turn.
Speaker 4: This and now you're in the store that I own.
Speaker 5: How many of his people that he was playing with on the off season was going out partying, blowing their money and probably laughing at him as well, right and now looking so the league gratification is another another thing as well.
Speaker 3: They're probably drinking the products that he's bowing, which is that's kind of crazy man.
Speaker 5: All right, Okay, so yeah, that's that's that's interesting. That's an interesting examined nation of an entrepreneur. So we want to jump into the political realm a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we had an interest in a few weeks and one in particular, Cory Booker has announced that he's running for president.
Speaker 4: For those who are not familiar, Correy Booker was the mayor of the city of Newark.
Speaker 3: He is now a senator in New Jersey and he has fought for criminal justice reform, he's fought for housing reform, and he's had some some pretty interesting ideas, and we're gonna touch on one of those ideas.
Speaker 5: Corey Brooker is interesting for a few different reasons. But you know, he used to live in the projects when he was the mayor of Newark by choice for like a year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, by choice, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if anybody like he has an interesting story on If anybody's ever watched Netflix Explain the Racial Wealth Gap, I think it is the last episode of season one, and he tells a story about how his family came into wealth and.
Speaker 4: The importance of owning homes, which is why he fights for it. But by choice, he.
Speaker 5: And one of the worst projects, yeah Newark, in Newark, and he lived there for a year, so some people called it a gimmick, but he still live.
Speaker 3: There, like right now, he said he lives in a basement in d C. Like, yeah, he owns a home in Newark, but he's humbled themselfing like listen, man, I have a landlord in DC.
Speaker 4: Like that's just how I'm living right now. I'm a single man.
Speaker 5: Remember when Mark Zuckerberg gave Newark one hundred million dollars for the school district? Whatever? What happened with that?
Speaker 4: Who's the man?
Speaker 5: Baraka? Now?
Speaker 3: I think that you know what they they they did invested, they had new it was for education, right, yeah, yeah, they built some some some some pretty decent academies in Newark, and he was on the Breads Club speaking about some of the growth they've seen, okay with these students, So we.
Speaker 4: Can't just dismiss I was just wondering what happened. But it was Devin and Christie at the time. Yeah, Chris, okay, Yeah, but.
Speaker 5: No, I wasn't dismissing it. I was just I just I didn't hear anything since that had happened. I think it happened on Oprah. But yeah, So Corey buckets into for a few different reasons. But one of the things that so okay, he announced that he's running for president, right, so you know, when you announce your running for president anything, you start to say different things that you want to do, you want to implement stuff like that which you're running on your platform. So we talked about the racial wealth gap in this country and how disturbing it is, right I think, on episode two. So now it's interesting to see because some of the candidates are proposing different ways to kind of bridge that right into to lesson that the racial wealth gap. So he has an interesting idea, and his idea is for baby bonds, so he wants every baby so right now, right now, we talked about the racial wealth gap for adult families, right and all the top of my head, I think it was like the average black family has a net worth of seventeen hundred and the average white family has a networth of one hundred in sixteen thousand.
Speaker 3: Well, he was on the Breakfast Club, I think maybe like this week, and he went further on to that Bostonian article we were talking about where the average white family in Boston is a network the worth is two undred and fifty thousand.
Speaker 4: And the average black family is eight.
Speaker 5: Dollars in Boston in Boston, eight dollars, eight dollars yep, yes, eight dollars, ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let that sit in for two seconds.
Speaker 5: So all right, so he had even So now was even interesting when I was reading an article that he's proposing the baby bonds. That so the wealth the networth for young people. So eighteen to twenty five, the average white person's networth is forty six thousand dollars, and the networth for young people eighteen to twenty five, average black person's networth is twenty nine hundred dollars.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we spoke about networth.
Speaker 5: No, we did speak about it, but we spoke about it for families, but not. So it's actually that's actually shocking to me because I don't I knew very few people twenty five and under that had networths of forty six thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: No, I didn't either.
Speaker 5: So but this and that's the average network for a white person eighteen to twenty five. So what happens is that the white person's networth families, it actually increases right as they get older. But the black if you notice, the black network actually decreases because the black family's networth is seventeen hundred. But the average black young person's networth is twenty nine hundred, so it actually goes down, so it gets worse as you get older.
Speaker 3: This is one thing that we know about wealth, that is it's going to be true. Wealth grows and grows and grows. Right, being rich, you could make some mistakes and that they'll take you out of that carriage, but wealth will continue to grow.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: So what he wants to do is have a thousand dollars baby bonds, So every baby that's born into America, every single baby, gets one thousand dollars on the born right, and then it's depending on your income. So if your family makes under one hundred, if your family makes under one hundred and twenty six thousand dollars a year, you will get up to two thousand dollars added to that bond every year until the child turns eighteen.
Speaker 3: It's so the account is a savings account that's going to be managed by the treasury.
Speaker 5: Right treasures earning three percent?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you're right, so like they project if it does three percent, but it's so if at that rate, if somebody's family income up is over one hundred and twenty five, they don't get anything.
Speaker 5: No, that's what saying, Yeah, no, you get a thousand dollars and you're born. When you're born, right after that, you don't get anything, right exactly, And even the two thousand dollars is the most that you can get. Yeah, So it's like a sliding scale. So if you make one hundred thousand, then you might get five hundred dollars, right, but if you're below the poverty line, then the most you can get is two thousand. The child's the.
Speaker 3: Federal poverty line, I believe it's twenty five thousand. It's like that family, that family afford that they stay at that rate. By the time the child has gotten to eighteen, then I think it's like forty.
Speaker 5: So what happens is that? So right? So, right now, the wealth gap between young people whites and blacks, it's sixteen times. So young people have sixteen times the net worth of black young people. So what this new proposal will do will actually lessen that to one to four. So it's still not equal, but it'll have the average white person's networth will be seventy niney eighteen to twenty five, and the average black person's network eighteen to twenty five will be fifty seven thousand. So what they're saying is that this can actually change the course of the wealth gap and almost erase it within a generation. Right. The thing about it too is that so people actually talk about reparations, So this it plays in line with reparations, because it's been proven that the easiest way to do it would be through reparation. Right, reparations is to give Black people, give Spanish people, just give them money, right, But obviously politically that's very hard to get through.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: So this is a way of reparations. But it's not race based, right, because everybody is for everybody, But since proportionally Black and Latino families are more impovished than white families, even though it's for everybody, it will proportionally affect Black and Latino families at a higher rate.
Speaker 3: It's like when he did prison reform, right, Like he changes laws for imprisonment, right, and it's for everybody, but it proportionally helps people of color because they're the ones who suffer more.
Speaker 5: Right. So this is an interesting take on the reparations argument because, as I said, it's not something that you're just giving to one group of people. You're actually giving it to everybody. But it's going to affect one or two groups of people a lot more. Now, the thing about it is that it's only going to be for young people, for people that.
Speaker 4: Are born right now, they're still trying to right now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so it won't affect like adults or even you know, teenagers or whatever. It'll be. So you'll have to wait a generation before they actually see the effects of it. And another interesting thing is to see, you know, education. That thing has to be tied into it as well, because okay, it's great to have I think the idea is a good idea. But if somebody turns eighteen and they have forty thousand dollars and now they have access to that, right, we don't want them just to spend it.
Speaker 4: So that's one of the things. So, like we's explained, it's a four step program.
Speaker 3: So we pretty much explained the first three steps or step one was you get there thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: The Treasury takes it into your account.
Speaker 3: Step two is through the tax code, children will receive two thousand based on the income of the family. Third one is the fund sits there in account three percent hopefully annually. And that fourth step is that the account holder can't access it until they're eighteen, and it has.
Speaker 4: To be for a usable reason.
Speaker 3: It has to be for education, or it has to be for the purchase of a home, or if they keep it there, it could be for retirement later on.
Speaker 4: So they have to have specific reasons why they're taking off.
Speaker 5: They just they just can't take it off take it out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I think, I mean, I think it's a great idea, But this is this is not the first time we've seen an idea like this.
Speaker 4: No. Hillary Clinton, she tried it and then like as soon as her campaign got.
Speaker 5: No, it was like, let's little known fact, Hillary Clint in two thousand and five, I think two thousand seven, I think when she was running the first time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she that was proposal.
Speaker 5: No, it was and they quickly scrapped it quickly.
Speaker 4: Tony Blair tried this and.
Speaker 5: Tony Blair actually implemented.
Speaker 4: It, and yes, as soon as he left office, scrapped done.
Speaker 5: With Conservative Party. Okay, so the UK. Tony Blair was the Prime Minister of the UK. So reparate. When we talk about reparations, this isn't something that a lot of times people don't fully understand the concept of reparations, right, other people have been given reparations, right, We've seen We've seen Japanese Americans get reparations from Ronald Reagan. We've seen Jewish people get reparations from the Holocaust. It's something that politically is not as far fetched as it's made out to be. Right, and people realize that, as I said before, the racial wealth gap is something that if anybody's intelligent, they understand that that is it's a problem, and it's not something that just affects only black people. It spills over. So it's in everybody's interest to try to fix the problem. And this is a worldwide problem. So when Tony Blair implements it in Britain and then the Conservative Party comes and they just eliminate it because they say, now it's like welfare and you're giving you know, poor people just you know that that's something that is done out of ignorance, right, Because if the goal is to actually make up for things that were done in the past that have systematically hold people that, then the only way to really reverse that is to have a systematic thing put in place to help those people. It's not out of charity, it's just the right thing to do, right, So Yeah, so we have seen this before and it's not as far af fetched as people think because it was put in place in the UK even though it was reversed, and Hillary Clinton, who had a very good chance of actually becoming president, had it as one of her campaign points, even though she quickly scratched it. So we'll see where this reparation argument goes. Because there's another candidate. I believe that she wants to actually do reparations different So everybody has different ways about it how they want to do it. But I think the baby by ideas interesting at least it is interesting.
Speaker 3: Because it it really is about equity, right, So everybody starts at the playing field, and as you'll see it, like the people who needed more will.
Speaker 5: Be so that the argument will be like who, how do you pay for it? Where's the money coming from? The right, that would be the argument, because I mean, I don't think anybody would be opposed to people, you know, babies getting money, But where's this money coming. That's a lot of money. You get every baby a thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: And then it'll come into it.
Speaker 3: Well, if their parents aren't citizens, is that how do they get to There's a lot of issues there.
Speaker 5: It's a lot of issues that can be raised.
Speaker 4: But the idea, I think it's great.
Speaker 5: No, it's a great idea on surface. So we'll see. Like I said, the political environment is very interesting right now. You know a lot of people are running for president that are announcing that they're running for president. We have a black female and announced. We have Corey Bookers, black male that announced, and you know, I'm sure as the weeks some fall, we'll be having more and more people from the Democratic Party and Independent Party that will announced that their run for president. Then of course you have the current president, Donald Trump, who I'm pretty sure he will be seeking re election, so we'll be it'll be interesting to see. But economic definitely plays a major part in the political game. So that's the thing too. We can't separate the two right. A lot of times people you know, we say, okay, well I'm not voting. If you decide to vote or not, that's your personal decision. But we can't just say I just want to focus on economics and not politics, or I want to focus on politics and not economics. They go hand in hand economic empowerment, it is political empowerment. You can't you can't separate the too. All right, okay, final words.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we spoke about Corey Booker and what he's done for obviously the school to prison pipeline system, racism when it comes to terms of imprisonment, and in immigration, and what we've seen in the past couple of weeks, maybe last week, we saw Meek Mill and Michael Rubin and Robert Craft and Jay Z create reform, which is great for criminal justice, and within that week we also see a young black male be picked up by Ice for immigration, and it'll be interesting to see how this plays out. But I know that, you know, they're putting some support behind him, twenty one Savage, so we'll see that maybe you know, this case may spark some immigration reform, so they'll be interesting to see. So, I mean, it's unfortunate that this happened. I know, he has a family three about three kids, and he's I think he filed.
Speaker 4: For citizenship and saying like four years. So I'm it's just unfortunate.
Speaker 3: So hopefully, you know, reform started the criminal justice and hopefully we'll see something that happens to immigration as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, we'll see, we'll see. All right, all right, guys, So once again, thank you for rocking with us. We will see you guys next week. Yeah man peace.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we give you the game.
Speaker 3: Now you gotta go out to your neighborhood and give it right back. Psychondric said, that's a fact.
Speaker 6: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed. Stop struggling to get your job post seen on other jobs sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer. Speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod katz thirteen. Just go to Indeed dot com slash pod katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need