Speaker 1: Hey, guys, Sager and Crystal.
Speaker 2: Here, independent media just played a truly massive role in this election, and we are so excited about what that means for the future of this show.
Speaker 3: This is the only place where you can find honest perspectives from the left and the right that simply does not exist anywhere else.
Speaker 2: So if that is something that's important to you, please go to Breakingpoints dot com. Become a member today and you'll get access to our full shows, unedited, ad free, and all put together for you every morning in your inbox.
Speaker 3: We need your help to build the future of independent news media, and we hope to see you at Breakingpoints dot com.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you, guys this and again this. We don't We don't know the ideological leanings of this person. We don't know, if you know, they could be politically all over the blue.
Speaker 4: We don't know. But let me ask you guys this question.
Speaker 2: Do you think I'm right that even if it is like a clear cutcase of like some white nationalist or groper type or whatever that this guy turns out to be, that Trump will just pretend that it's otherwise or use this anyway to his ends.
Speaker 5: I'm curious about him saying yesterday he had some sense of the motive before this. That tells me that maybe they think or they thought they had reason to believe that there's some I don't know, like what is going on?
Speaker 2: Were they going off the supposed trends in super bullets. I mean, we didn't spend enough time on that because it was so it's so disgusting to me that the Wall Street Journal ran with that, And apparently it turned out there were like some arrows like potentially already printed on the bullets, because there are little like markings on there that they were like these arrows, I think that must mean he's pro trans which was completely invented, and you know, all kinds of lay people. When this news came out of like markings on the bullets indicating transgender ideology, people were like, what would that even be? But apparently no one at the Wall Street Journal that reprinted this thought for two seconds to ask that question.
Speaker 5: Or they reported, well, here's also what's interesting is that they reported so Steven Krab got it first, and the journal was probably rushing because of Stephen Crowder, which is already just like what the hell? But they reported that ATF was taking these markings seriously, and the journal probably failed to contextualize how thin the like evidence was that that was, you know, something to take seriously. But what it says to me is that somebody at ATF was taking it.
Speaker 6: Very, very seriously. And so because of that. Okay, here, so we've got a press conference coming.
Speaker 7: In no way, I mean, real quick to Chris. But like Trump said, he I don't care. Trump is telling Trump Trump already answered your questions. Yeah, that's probably so, I don't care who did this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the problem is, yeah, sure we got radicals on the right, but they're doing it for the right reasons. I mean, that's what you know, that's the whole justification for January six. We already know he pardoned a bunch of you know, violent JA six riders. All right, here's the pressor.
Speaker 8: Leaving the rifle in a bush.
Speaker 9: Messages related to a to visually watching the area where our rifle was left and a message referring.
Speaker 8: To having left the rifle wrapped in a towel.
Speaker 9: The messages also referred to engraving bullets and a mention of a scope and the rifle being unique.
Speaker 8: Messages from the contact.
Speaker 9: Tyler also mentioned that he had changed outfits. I know there's been speculation as well as to the writing.
Speaker 8: On those casings.
Speaker 9: Here we go, those those bullet casings, and I believe we have that.
Speaker 8: As well, and I'll share that with you now.
Speaker 10: So the area north of Campus Drive Road where the suspect crossed over, you saw some of that in the video that we released last night, consists of a grassy area with trees on the edge of the UBU campus.
Speaker 9: Investigators discovered a bolt action rifle wrapped in a dark colored towel. The rifle was determined to be a Mouser Model ninety eight thirty out six caliber thirty six caliber bolt action rifle.
Speaker 8: The rifle has scope mounted on top of it.
Speaker 9: Investigators noted inscriptions that had been engraved on casings found with the rifle.
Speaker 8: Inscriptions on a fired casing.
Speaker 9: Read notices, bulges, capital, OWO, what's.
Speaker 8: This question mark, inscriptions on the three on fired.
Speaker 9: Casings red he notices exclamation point, catch, exclamation point, arrow symbol, right arrow and symbol, and three down arrow symbols. A second on fired casing red oh, bella.
Speaker 1: Chow belle chow bella chow chow.
Speaker 8: Chow, and a third on fired Casey Red. If you read this, you are a LMAO.
Speaker 11: We are indebted to enforcement across the state who's worked seamlessly together local law enforcement, state law enforcement, and our federal partners with the with the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
Speaker 8: We're grateful for everyone who work together in such a short.
Speaker 9: Amount of time to find this person and to and to bring justice. I want to think the public who has been so engaged reviewing, reviewing videos, helping us with sending in tips and helping us get to this point.
Speaker 8: I want to thank the family members of.
Speaker 9: Tyler Robinson who did the right thing in this case and we're able to bring him into law enforcement as well. I especially want to thank the family of Charlie Kirk Erica, Charlie's.
Speaker 8: Parents, his children. I want us to.
Speaker 9: Be thinking of them as we bring justice in this case. They will be involved in that justice. We will be working very closely with them as we move through this process as well. This is a very sad day for again for our country, a terrible.
Speaker 8: Day for the state of Utah.
Speaker 9: But I'm grateful that at this moment we have an opportunity to bring closure to this very dark chapter in our nation's history with that. Will now turn the turn the microphone over to the director of the FBI.
Speaker 4: Cat Those bullet markings are hard to decipher.
Speaker 8: This is what happens when you let good cops be cops.
Speaker 12: The FBI and our partners are proud to stand here today together to bring justice to the family of Charlie.
Speaker 8: In honor's memory.
Speaker 13: I want to express my deep gratitude to President Trump, the Vice President, and the entire White House who have been so incredibly supportive with both resources and just personally to the FBI as a team. They had our backs to the entire way, and I just want to express my gratitude for giving us the resources we need to operate in this space to bring this sort of justice at this sort of speed. In thirty three hours, we have made historic progress for Charlie. Governor Cox, our partnership has been absolutely incredible these last few days. Our partnership will ignore your state and local partners, your sheriffs, your GPS community has been unbelievably impressive in the hardest of times, and a case like this cannot be solved, cannot be brought without partnering with your state and local authorities.
Speaker 8: The FBI has a certain role to play. We will play that role and we will lead up with federal government.
Speaker 12: Governor Cox, we are so grandful from your state partnership that let out on this investigation a little bit of the timeline. Charlie shot at twelve twenty three pm on Wednesday. The first FBI agent's arrived on scene in sixteen minutes. We chiefs the police at twelve thirty nine and secured the scene.
Speaker 2: This is cya to try to convince people they did a good jobs.
Speaker 13: We utilize these assets to transport personnel, specialty technicians, passage rescue teams.
Speaker 8: We also utilize these assets to go.
Speaker 13: Back and forth from the East Coast and here in Utah to transport forensic evidence and other evidence that will be analyzed that is being analyzed at our FBI laboratories in Quantico and other laboratories including the ATF.
Speaker 8: In my direction, the.
Speaker 12: FBI released the first set of FBI photos of this suspect.
Speaker 8: At ten am local time on nine to eleven.
Speaker 12: Then shortly thereafter, the FBI reward of one hundred thousand dollars was.
Speaker 13: Released at ten forty five am Local myself and Deputy Director Bon Gino arrived on the scene at ap propably five thirty PM on nine to eleven. The Governor let a press conference last night at approximately eight pm where in my direction, the FBI released and ever before seen video of the suspect.
Speaker 12: We also released new images to the public of the suspect. And just last night, the suspect was taken into custody at ten PM of the time, in less than thirty six hours thirty three to be precise, thanks to the full weight of the federal government and leading out with the partners here in the state of Utah and Governor Cox, the suspect was apprehended in historic time period.
Speaker 8: And I want to highlight what Governor Cox.
Speaker 13: Said, This would not have been possible without you the media and you the public.
Speaker 8: That's why we went so public.
Speaker 6: So the suspect was on the loose for more than twenty four hours.
Speaker 8: Transparency.
Speaker 4: The trumpet is a frame historic historical.
Speaker 13: Authorities along with the federal authorities processing that crime scene quickly.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I even had.
Speaker 13: The ability to walk through.
Speaker 12: That crime scene and walk through the steps the suspect took to.
Speaker 13: Learn more about what was needed and what resources we need to prayer to create a full picture for the FBI and leadership back in Washington. Furthermore, thankfully to state local partners, forensic evidence has been seized and continues to be garnered. Forensic evidence has already been evaluated FBI laboratories in Quantico and state local authorities here. We will continue to process evidence as we see it.
Speaker 2: As we collected, we can probably get out of this. It doesn't seem like we're going to get any more news, right.
Speaker 5: Unless they take questions, but that could still be another ten minutes.
Speaker 1: Let's well, let's go through with a cake.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you if they go to the let's go through the cases.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's go.
Speaker 7: Let's let's go. So, yeah, I got them here, uh in order. The first one they said was, notice is Bulge's ow a, what's this? Which is some it's some furry bullshit? What uh it's I mean? People can just google, People can just google this provocative internet meme associated with furry fandom with strong sexual connotations notices bulges.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, I'll look it up so you don't have.
Speaker 6: To describe it to me.
Speaker 7: Then then hey, fascists catch which seems pretty clear what that is.
Speaker 2: And then it said Okay, it says the notice is bulge thing parodies furries and online role play subcultures is from no your meme.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right?
Speaker 7: Oh Belachow Bella So Bellachow is a is a Italian anti fascist song. So that that that is the thing that that that plus hey fascist catch is him signaling that's where they would have gotten the Antifa stuff from this. And then if you read this you are gay l m a. Oh that that gives Groy patrol.
Speaker 5: Which is sort of, by the way, similar to what we saw in Minneapolis where you had troll language.
Speaker 6: And this is just so I mean, it just makes your stomach sink because.
Speaker 7: We have two troll languages and then two Antifa stuff. So is the anti FA stuff there to like convince people that this is that he's anti Like, we're going to find out more about this guy. But you know, it could be that he's actually an actual ANTIFA guy, you know, who grew up in this household with this you know, his dad in the sheriff department and then kind of rebelled against his dad.
Speaker 1: That's certainly uncommon story happens.
Speaker 7: It could also be that this is a Groy patrol who's just it's no and that we have a troll assassination.
Speaker 1: Assassin or something.
Speaker 2: It can also be did you guys look into this like online cult that people were theorizing the Minnesota shooter was part of because they had all kinds of symbology that was all over the map too. And I can't remember the name of these sort of like linked like neo Nazi death cults basically online radicalized death cults where some of the some of the mo is like gaining notoriety and out doing each other in your you know, acts of terror and murder that you commit. And there are you know, number of instances where the killers appeared to be linked to this like basically online death cult. And that's another that's another possible. Like clearly this person was very online, Like we can say that, yeah for sure, with the language.
Speaker 4: You know, the use of memes.
Speaker 6: You know, it looks like a gaming keyboard in the picture, the.
Speaker 4: Board in the picture.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean just and also just that's the life of a twenty two year old man oftentimes in uh in this day and age.
Speaker 4: Not to sound like.
Speaker 6: But it's true.
Speaker 2: Really, so person was clearly very online, and there's certainly enough, you know, like just the fact that there's any anti anti fascist stuff in there is going to be enough for Trump and co. To say to say this is that's a good point on the left, you know, it's radical Marxist blah blah blah.
Speaker 4: So that's certainly what they'll be going with.
Speaker 14: You know.
Speaker 2: Whether that is fully the case or not, I think it still remains to be seen because the indications are kind of all over the place, like the if you're reading this, you're gay, lmao. I don't know, don't know, guys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's unclear, uh right now which direction this is going in. Because to me, when I look back on the Minneapolis shooter, I don't think it's it's unfair for the right to say that whatever was going on ideologically on sex and gender clearly played into that. But also it was troll language, and when in that case the shooter died, so it's almost impossible to decipher the troll language from a mentally ill person and no restruction or the other that it.
Speaker 6: Was going in. This person is alive. This person is alive.
Speaker 5: And actually, as we pulled out of the presser, I just saw this update from the New York Times authorities in this news conference have described extensive evidence that they say ties the suspect and custody the shooting of Charlie Kirk, including statements to relatives suggesting that he committed the crime, social media messages, and physical evidence. So I would say, at least in this case, the odds of us getting a much more complete picture of where this person was coming from. And this is a good thing, by the way, just exploded, because otherwise you get into ink blot test territory where you can kind of laughch on to one part of the picture or another part of the picture, and it's more easily used as a football. So if you can get more clarity in this case, I think that is like a huge blessing.
Speaker 6: But we'll see.
Speaker 2: Well, the other thing is just you know, even if let's say that he had been killed or killed himself, or you know, the cops ha killed him or he'd killed himself or whatever, then the conspiracies would also run wild, right like the fact that he they have him, that he's alive, that he can speak for himself. Not that it's going to put all conspiracy theories to bed, but it will put you know, it will make it more difficult for those to gain I think widespread public acceptance and traction. And I think I think it matters a lot that they have this guy. You know, listen, and I've already talked about how I think Trump is like the worst person possible to be our president at a moment such as this. Part of why I obviously posed him into the election, part of why I was very deeply concerned about what a second Trump administration would mean and would do for this country and for the world at large. But you know, I think like just the fact of having a suspect who at this point at least very much looks like this is the guy at least, then you know that it helps relieve some of the like the mystique and some of the theories, and potentially some of the like you know, follow on inspiration, because you know you're gonna see him not go out in a blaze of glory, but you know, be humiliated in a prison jumpsuit and you know, brought pretty low. So I hear you get like, I think those things matter.
Speaker 6: I think that's I hope that's true. I think that's likely true.
Speaker 5: On the other hand, it does bother me or It does worry me that you get into and it's too early even to be speculating too much, but you end up with like Charles Manson, cult around someone. I don't mean like a literal cult, but like a cult following where people are obsessed and get fixated on someone in prison for you know, just cause, or like even Mangioni, you see some of this after he said he was innocent, which means you could like really be mister directing people in different ways. Hopefully that doesn't happen here, but says like I had nothing to do with this. I'm just to quote Lee Harvey Oswald, I'm just a patsy. So I guess there's still always potential that things could go in a bad direction. But yeah, I agree Chris, I think this is likely a very good sign.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, and he's not as good looking as Mangioni, so will be less inspirational for people.
Speaker 4: Tell me, I'm.
Speaker 1: Hawaiian.
Speaker 7: I don't seen any Hawaiian gear yet, otherwise I think you'd see a lot of people calling him a boogoloo dude.
Speaker 6: Well, that was a thing.
Speaker 5: I mean that movement basically collapsed too. Yeah, that was that was around that was like a Proud Boy adjacent if I'm remember incorrectly.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but yeah, but kind of wacky and cultish and yeah and extremely online like trolley, very trolly. Yeah, and you know, believed in like random violence and accelerationism and yep.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well the other thing massive like meme that's you know, hyper meme focused.
Speaker 2: So this like so that, yeah, I means God only knows what weird online subcultures exists that you know, relatively normal people have no idea about, you know, be careful parents what your kids are consuming on the internet.
Speaker 4: I'll just say that.
Speaker 2: I mean the other part, the other part to say about the press conference is cash retal has been you know, I mean it's been ridiculous during this whole thing, right, tweeting out, oh, we've got a subject in custody and then having hours later really well turn down that guy was in a sense, sorry, oops, we're still looking. They delayed that press conference yesterday, was supposed to be in the afternoon and reportedly, you know, it ended up not happening till like nine o'clock n at night, reportedly because they were waiting for Cash and maybe Bongino as well to get into town and then they just you know, stood there like idiots during the press like they hadn't they didn't actually speak or participate at all. So you delayed this press conference. They claimed it because it was because of rapid developments, which made everybody think, oh, they must be on the trail. That was not the case at that point, just so that he could be there for the photo ops. So clearly he was trying to project a lot of authority here in this particular press conference and a lot of command and using a lot of very Trumpian language about how historic the man hunt was and that's what happens when you let good cops be cops, was one of the things that he said to try to cover the fact that he did not come across as a strong leader here. And there was also a reporting about, listen, we know that a bunch of FBI agents have been pulled off at their jobs to assist ice. We know some of them have been like roaming the streets in DC. We know that the head of the Salt Lake City FBI office was fired we're not really sure why in recent weeks as well. So a lot of cya in this press conference from Cash Betel as well.
Speaker 5: Well, that's I mean, again, what we're learning just minute by minute here is the suspect. I find this very disturbing, and I think it should continue to disturb people, whether or not we can, you know, rightfully celebrate that the pictures were put out there and enough that someone came forward. That's all good, and I hope justice has served. This is a stone cold assassin who was able to escape a densely a densely packed event on a college campus and stay at large for over twenty four hours, so god knows what could have happened in that time period. Thankfully, you know, it doesn't look like anyone else was hurt. It doesn't look like that was the case. It doesn't look like more damage was done the twenty four hours. But if you have, again, a stone cold assassin who murders a political speaker in broad daylight in a densely packed area, I have no stomach to celebrate their father walking them into or their father turning them in more than twenty four hours after that happened. I don't think that, at least as of right now, reflects good police work at all. I actually think that picture of him from surveillance cameras.
Speaker 6: Probably could have been released.
Speaker 5: I don't want money Morning cornerback to me, quarterback it, but it does seem to me that could have been released within three hours of.
Speaker 6: The event happening rather than twenty four.
Speaker 5: So you have this mass panic, you have misinformation being leaked to the press in the twenty four hours because there was a killer on the loops, presumably in Utah. So I just I think, you know, it's too early to say any of that definitively because we don't know what was happening behind the scenes, but I think it's a very high possibility that this was actually a not great, a less than adequate investigation and law enforcement response.
Speaker 2: Not to mention the lack of prevention, when we know that this guy had been spotted on the roof multiple times prior to Charlie Kirk's arrival, and this tip was apparently you know, provided and nothing done. You know, the law enforcementisode, Charlie had his own security detail, and then there were apparently only six police officers there to secure the event, which you know, I know, like certainly the landscape for people doing public events of this sort going forward is going to be a very you know, very very different. I saw Ben Shapiro is apparently going to pick up the rust of this tour. This was supposed to be the first stop, first step, first stop on this new Charlie Kirk College tour.
Speaker 4: So he's going to pick that up.
Speaker 2: But you know, also we have to look at like, were there things that were missed leading up to the day that could have prevented did this horrific series of events? You know, for them, this horrific murder to start with.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I mean, obviously I have a lot of thoughts on that because part of like, I'm on the board of a group that does lectures for students and student chapters and all of that and have done it myself. And I checked in with some of my friends in that space and they made an interesting point, which is that our discourse has gotten so poisoned that it's now actually also difficult to do indoor events because when you do an indoor event, trolls will.
Speaker 6: Like buy up all of the tickets.
Speaker 5: And so it's actually why you've seen a lot of conservative speakers start doing outdoor events because it kind of makes it easier to be in front of the public and when you're doing campus stuff. Nobody has like the resources to screen the roofs, like local police departments don't, which to me is insane post Butler that you know, people would do an outdoor event without screening the roof. But then we're also just talking about college campuses where kids should be free to have speakers in and yell at them and challenge them and scream at them or whatever you should. I don't have to worry about a sniper on a roof. I mean, it's so insane that this is where we are. But you cannot be doing outdoor events anymore where you aren't clearing a roof that's two hundred feet away. It's that is such a pathetic commentary on the country. I mean, that is just unbelievable on a college campus where kids are just interacting with a thirty one year old like pundit, It's completely insane.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the studio I have been hit.
Speaker 2: There's there's going to be as we learn more about this individual, there's you know, a lot of room for commentary also about you know, internet culture and what it's doing to everyone's brains. You know, this appears to be a guy from a middle class family. You know that we don't know what the life was or what struggles might have existed or whatever. But you know, I thought, I actually thought, Emily, where you were going with your commentary when you say I don't have room for praise of you know, a father his son in twenty four hours later is I thought, you don't have room for praise of that father.
Speaker 4: Thank God you did the right thing in the h No.
Speaker 2: No, but you raised a killer and I do think that there's something to be said about you know, about that as well.
Speaker 5: So crazy, yeah, and who But this is what's so crazy about the internet too, is that you have kids from seemingly normal backgrounds who are parented well sometimes and again I'm not making assumptions in this case, but who are parented well and don't need to be partying and doing drugs to get into the wrong crowd because it's coming through the screen, and that screen is their portal into darkness. Whereas in the past, there was more friction you had to start, you know, getting involved in shady groups of friends or whatever it was, but now there's just way less friction to go down dark paths because it all comes from the little screen that you keep in your pocket, and that is horrifying.
Speaker 6: I can't imagine for parents how horrifying that is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is pretty horrifying. As a parent, I can tell you it is pretty horrifying, which just why you know, you definitely have to be aware of what your kids are doing with their time and who they're spending their time with. If they're you know, they're on their devices a lot, you need to take note of what sort of content they're consuming.
Speaker 7: Yeah, the Internet is real life, yes, and forget that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there's rampant speculation on the timeline right now. Of course everybody it's a rorshack test, everybody seeing what they want to see in this guy and his profile and what he wrote on the bullets and whatever. So we'll we'll let that speculation go on. But is there are there are other stories you guys want to get to? Will a way to for more any more news With regard to Tyler Robinson, this is.
Speaker 6: All I've been able to think about philosophical days. I feel you on that.
Speaker 5: And it's crazy because there's a ton of stuff going. I mean, we had drones over the Polish skies. There's potential law enforcement going into Memphis. It's not as though this is a slow August news cycle as it was, you know, maybe a couple of weeks ago. This is a packed news cycle, and it just seems so hard to focus on anything else.
Speaker 2: Emily, how do you think that the that this murder will change like influencer culture and public events and how people think about their you know, their what they're doing and how much they're available, how what their security situation looks like? Like what are you hearing from people on the conservative side on that.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm scheduled to be on Megan Kelly's tour this fall, actually on a stop in San Antonio with Glenn, and you can imagine Glenn. I can't imagine the security that Glenn has to worry about constantly.
Speaker 6: So, I mean, I haven't heard anything in that space. I don't know what's up.
Speaker 5: I assume everything is going as planned, but I also just am so I don't know about you guys, Like I'm so blackpilled that a lot of what you know, elite influencer prominent, high profile influencer culture says it just seems like there's such a dark subculture of irony posting and all of that that I'm I'm.
Speaker 6: Glad I liked how Dean Withers reacted.
Speaker 5: I thought that was extremely classy, and I thought his raw emotion was really powerful. And I think, you know, probably eighty percent of gen Z watches Dean Withers, whether than the left of the right, and says that was a really that was the appropriate reaction.
Speaker 6: That's what this country should be about.
Speaker 5: Or Jank like that was that's exactly what this country should be about, but doesn't to some extent. This is the problem is with the other twenty percent or ten percent or whoever it is, who are not at all. I mean, they feel like they have no control or agency and they don't give a fuck what you know, how Dean Withers.
Speaker 6: Or Jank reacts or how anyone else reacts.
Speaker 5: It just doesn't matter to them because it's all cringe and everything is ironic and there's a nihilism to it that I mean. I think influencers are probably going to do some really great stuff over the next year and be great about civic debate and push each other in public and you know, try to have like really hard conversations. I think that's great. Do maybe more of what we do which is left on right as as often as possible.
Speaker 6: I think that's all great.
Speaker 5: But to me, I don't know that that makes any difference whatsoever with the five percent of just utterly nihilistic people who were disillusioned with the political system.
Speaker 2: Yeah, unfortunately, I'm less hopeful that that even will be thencome. I mean, I guess for some influencers, but most of what I saw was, you know, I mean, frankly, most of what I saw often the right, from Trump on down, was like, this is war. We want vengeance, Let's crack down on free speech, Let's destroy them. You know, they want to kill us, this is this is war, et cetera. And so I didn't really see many people out there using it as a moment to say, hey, let's come together and you know, let's turn down the temperature and resolve our differences. So and you know, again, you've got an arsonist in the in the White House. I just you know, Ryan, I know you were one of the reasons we really wanted to have you on yesterday, and you were traveling so here and able to but we were trying to think of historic parallels to this moment, because you knows, as awful as it is for someone to take a shot of the president.
Speaker 4: That's part of American history. There's always going to be people.
Speaker 2: Who want to kill president, even you know, even the legislators, the Minnesota legislators, that legislator who was killed in the legislators that were targeted. It's like, okay, well these are still political officials. Like very unsettling. But part of what made this so shocking and really sort of solidified for me that we're living through this very different era, like it's not new, we're living through it is the fact that he is this. You know, he's an influencer, he's an activist. Obviously, it hits really close to home. But you know, what do you see in terms of historic parallels? Are there other periods of American life that we can look to as being even somewhat analogous here?
Speaker 7: Yeah, And I watched you guys talk about it yesterday and Soccer's right, So yeah, I said, you know, I couldn't think of anything other than the pre Civil War period, which is very ominous because you know, that's a dark like fifteen years heading into what then becomes the Civil War. And he he flagged them famous example yesterday which was a which is this guy Elijah Lovejoy who was I believe in Ohio, either Kentucky or Ohio newspaper editor who was a hardcore abolitionist and murdered by you know, bro, you know, pro slavery forces. His cousin. I'm not his cousin. I think it was his brother. Oh what people can wikipedie all this. But his brother was Owen Lovejoy, who was a congressman who was anti slavery congressman who was also turns out a a an ally of then wig politician Abraham Lincoln. And when when Lincoln was running for president, it was it was really there was there was a lot of skepticism about him from the anti slavery side. It was Lincoln really with us or not? And it was Owen Lovejoy who basically was Lincoln's kind of validator to the left saying no like and and you know, no, no, he's one of us. He just can't really say it because he's trying to win a national election. And Ohen Lovejoy got so much of his own credibility, not just from his own politics, but from the fact that he was the brother of this martyred anti slavery editor Elijah Lovejoy and martyrs play a radicalizing role in in all movements. You know, Chris Edges mentioned this yesterday on Twitter that when when when movements, When when somebody has martyred in a movement like Charlie Kirk.
Speaker 8: Just was.
Speaker 7: It, it sanctifies violence, no matter what that particular person felt about violence. In Kirk's case, he was, you know, strongly for discourse. You can hate what he said, but he was about persuasion and argumentation. You can you can hate that he was for argumentation on behalf of something that you think is terrible, but he was not advocating for for violence. But what happens with his martyrdom is that now people in the movement who call for discussion and debate will say, no, you know, Charlie Kirk tried that, or you know, Elijah Lovejoy tried that, and look what happened to him. He was killed by our evil enemies. And the only thing we can do is war like that. That's the only option that's that's left to us. And if you don't do that, you are betraying the legacy of our marker. And and it's very hard internally in those factional arguments to argue against that, even if you can point to and this states, you know, not that Charlie Kirk is MLK, but like MLKA was very you know, all about nonviolence. But what a lot of people said afterwards is we'll look what it got him. You know, it got him killed. The only path forward is to fight for him, and to fight violently for him.
Speaker 5: Well yeah, because it's I forget who said this, but it it's it shows someone who's like trying to have a back and forth and trying to say, like, let's let's debate. Let's uh, you know, debate really rowdily if that's an adverb, but let's let's do it.
Speaker 6: And that effort was ended with a bullet.
Speaker 1: So what messages that say, don't do that anymore?
Speaker 6: Like it's not your gen z.
Speaker 5: Charlie Kirk has been an ever present fixture of your social media diet for five to ten years, and that doesn't matter whether you're political or not. This kid was on south Park. This guy was on South Park because he was well known enough to be parodied on.
Speaker 6: A pop culture platform like that.
Speaker 5: And you have for years been scrolling through this guy yelling at the libs, debating on college campuses all of that on a podcast, and suddenly the video that you scroll past is him engaged in that very say, same act and ending literally in a geyser of blood. The point that some people will take from that is, you know, dialogue doesn't work. It doesn't work because you can end it with a bullet and that's a horrifying there's a horrifying takeaway that people might walk away with.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Chris Hedges wrote a piece Brian, I don't know if you read it that talked some about, you know, the role of the martyr, and I thought made some very salient points about the way that a martyr can be used in a movement to further radicalize. And this isn't speculative, Like you can go and look on the timeline at the number of people who were saying that's it, gloves are off.
Speaker 4: Now we're waging war.
Speaker 2: They want to kill us, and then President of the United States, as we played earlier, saying you know, well, you know, it would be nice if we could solve it at the ballot, but that's not really possible because it's we don't even have a ballot box.
Speaker 4: It's so rigged, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 2: So you know, that's what's like when you add those the sense of political existential stakes, which in some ways, you know, I mean the states of politics are high. Right, there's I don't want to sugarcoat it, like there is a reality that the political stakes are high in fact, and then you add to it this tinder box of gun culture, untreated mental illness, mass inequality, increasing the economics that we have been covering the economic numbers this week, but they're not looking great. Things continue to trend to higher inflation, higher inflation, higher unemployment, more jobless claims, et cetera. And you know, and then you have these other existential fears over AI, over climate crisis, over you know, migration for some see that as an existential, you know, existential type fear. And you're looking at you're looking at a powder keg. That's that's the sense. And you know, Ryan, do you think that the so I don't. I don't particularly enjoy the pre Civil war comparison. That one is really scary. I don't love the seventies comparison either, but I guess it's somewhat less scary. Like do you think do you see parallels with that time period as well.
Speaker 7: The yes, and probably more so with than than with pre Civil War, because, as you pointed out on the show yesterday, the slaver class and also the anti slavery folks properly understood the fight over slavery as as existential and fundamental to the soul of the country. What is what is that today?
Speaker 1: Like that?
Speaker 7: Does that doesn't exist? Like that the two parties agree on, like most things, Ran, I.
Speaker 5: Don't know if you've you've ever read the biography of Barry Goldwater that Lee Edwards wrote.
Speaker 6: It's a he was a historian.
Speaker 5: He was actually at the Heritage Foundation for a really long time, but he was Goldwater's comms director.
Speaker 6: He was at the March on Washington. He was involved in a lot of the.
Speaker 5: Like conservative political activism in the rise of the Reagan Revolution. And my friend Chris Bedford and I talked to him in June of twenty twenty as DC was like in a state of rolling crisis and asked him how it compared to nineteen sixty eight. And I've taken a lot of heat for reposting this just in the last like I don't know, forty eight hours whatever it is now, But he said, he told us when we asked how it compared to nineteen sixty eight, I was kind of like saying, like pushing him. I thought to say, like, no, it's not as bad, don't be hysterical whatever. And he said, now it's worse than nineteen sixty eight because some of those like institutional points of consensus have frayed, and that is a very very different time to and that is like so that you do the Civil War parallels feel more accurate in a point like that.
Speaker 2: So, guys, I want to sorry. People are sharing a clip and now let me see if I can play it of the governor talking about how family members believe that Robinson had become more political in recent years. So let me go ahead and see if I can share this clip and we can react to it.
Speaker 14: On the other side, investigators interviewed a family member Robinson, who stated that Robinson had become more political in recent years. The family member referenced a recent incident in which Robinson came to dinner prior to September tenth, and in the conversation with another family member, Robinson mentioned Charlie Kirk was coming to UVU. They talked about why they didn't like him and the viewpoints that he had. The family member also stated Kirk was full of hate and spreading hate. The family member also confirmed Robinson had a gray Dodge Challenger. Investigators identified an individual as the roommate of Robinson. Investigators interviewed that roommate, who stated that his roommate, referring to Robinson, made a joke on discord. Investigators asked if he would show them the messages on discord. He opened it and showed several messages to investigators and allowed investigators to take photos of the screen as each message was shown by Robinson's roommate. These photos consisted of various messages, including content of messages between the phone contact named Tyler with an emoji icon and Robinson's roommate's device.
Speaker 2: So the commentary there again as that spoke to a relative who had been with Tyler just recently. Tyler mentioned Charlie's coming into down, talked about why he hated them him and said he was full of hate. I can tell you the what a lot of people on the right are saying online is they're tying it into Oh, he went to college and became radicalized, so you know, and radicalized against the right and you know, became this like murderous antifa guy, and so you can already see you know, the obviously this administration already has been very aggressive against universities. The right has been very this has been part of a political ideological project anyway, So I fully suspect that piece will be used further to go after and.
Speaker 7: You know, maybe this is maybe this is me just reaching for what I want to be true. But uh, if filled with hate recently becoming filled with hate, would they would they be using that in the context of becoming anti fascist.
Speaker 1: I couldn't tell that, yeah, filled with hate.
Speaker 2: I couldn't tell if he was saying that he was filled with hate Tyler, or whether he was saying Charlie Kirk was filled with hate and that's why he didn't like him.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: It was a little bit unclear in what the governor was saying there, but people are taking you are saying it to mean that Tyler was saying Kirk was filled with hate.
Speaker 7: Does he say did he say anything? And maybe we can find more of this clip, but did he say anything about what these messages were? Like the clip cut off where he before he told like what the jokes were that he was telling and what the messages were.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen. I have not seen that, but we'll keep We'll keep looking and seeing if seeing if they indicated what those Discord messages were, because yeah, that would certainly be that would certainly be relevant to.
Speaker 5: Know and and this, you know, we don't need to even continue finding way to underscore this, but the fact that someone was posting messages on Discord, I think, you know, we've we've seen the furry reference so far Discord. That's indicative of somebody who is deep, deep in online culture.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the radicalization seems less to be doe with, you know, whatever academic institution he was at, and more to do with whatever Discord server he was at.
Speaker 7: Also, the the arrows, it looks like and maybe people have some better clue into this, you know where they said that down right.
Speaker 2: Or up side upright, down down down, Yeah, fire.
Speaker 1: Too, I mean hell divers too or what?
Speaker 4: That's what I had to run some video game meme.
Speaker 6: The time says.
Speaker 5: The list of messages on the suspects casing is described by a government cox include apparent references to online culture and gaming quote up arrow, right arrow and three down arrow symbols as described by Cox, maybe a reference, uh maybe a re so a sequence of moves on a controller that released a bomb in the video game Hell Divers. Oh wow, another engraving quest. Owo, what's this? Is a phrase used for trolling in online role play communities.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's a furry specific I guess. I don't know. The Internet was a mistake. I don't know, guys, what to tell you? What to tell you? She is onto something in China, shut it down? I mean it's this is yeah, I mean, the most twenty twenty five thing you can imagine.
Speaker 1: Like total gam gamer troll.
Speaker 2: Brain rot gamer troll engravings on you know, bullets that are used to murder a prominent activist, an online influencer, and with the videos being streamed into our feats basically in real time so that we can all over and over again watch watch one of the gorious, most horrific things you can possibly imagine, Like what what hell are we living through?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Seriously, I.
Speaker 5: Yep, it's hard to understand right now what this is going to do to zoomers who have already seen so much. I mean, I think back, I'm slightly younger than you guys. You guys were like your brains were fully formed when some of the like beheading videos we're hitting Twitter in you know circle like twenty thirteen.
Speaker 6: I forget when.
Speaker 5: Fully was, but I saw that when I was like probably sixteen, And it's not normal for the human brain to experience that. It's not normal for the species to experience that. Where it's you can zoom in, you can it's posted so many times in the hours after Charlie was shot. It was I probably saw it fifteen different times on my feed, you know, if you were trying to get the news on a mainstream website. It's not like this was in the bowels of you know, something somebody downloaded on like bear share and sent to their friends over email.
Speaker 6: Like that's not what it was.
Speaker 5: It was on a mainstream website, and it sounds tripe to us now, But I'm just thinking to somebody who was like probably sixteen and saw a human being beheaded multiple.
Speaker 6: Times, like this is so much worse.
Speaker 5: I mean, they saw Brian Thompson, they saw all of that all over, and it's a level of exposure to violence that previously only would have existed in like war zones. But even then you're experiencing something physically and in person, and the disconnected nature of watching a total stranger that you will never meet, you do not know, and then being incentivized to weigh in either with a great thought that's classy, or with a horrible thought because the algorithm that pushed that video to you is also demanding a response from you. We're so absolutely fucking cooked. We're just cooked.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, what else can you say?
Speaker 2: Like, And that's before we even talk about the you know, the images of a genocide that we've been seeing every single day, the horrific video of Arena who was murdered on a you know, public transit, and this is like maybe I'm misremembering, but the beheading videos, like you had to like actually like I never watched it. You had to like kind of intentionally. This was almost unavoidable.
Speaker 7: Go ahead, Ryan, No, no, I I we were breaking that in real time, and I'm going to head it up. And then I put it in a different tab because I didn't want to see it. Yeah, and then as and then I was I'm going back to working later, I clicked on that tab not knowing what it was, and there it was, and it's still in my mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, that image of Charlie will ever be out of my mind because it was I mean, it was horrifying. And I just you know, one thing that I can't quite fully describe or put my finger on, but like, think about, Okay, this killer puts these brain rot memes, engraves them intentionally, like went out of his way to do this so that you and I and Ryan and the whole world could talk about it and decipher his Internet memes that he put on there for lulls. And there's this sense of there's this sense of disconnect and unreality where it's like it's that nihilistic nothing matters, you know, the more like outrageous thing you say, the more like disgusting and hateful thing you say, the more sort of notoriety you get. And and this sense that other humans are quote unquote NPCs, right, they're not really real. I mean there's just this I don't know, this sense of sort of disconnect from your fellow human. And there are always going to be sociopathic type people out there who just naturally have that disconnect from humanity and are able to you know, pull a trigger and blow someone's tibits from you know, two hundred yards away and you know, have no regrets about it or whatever, or.
Speaker 6: A knife in the case of Arena, right, Like, that's it.
Speaker 2: Right, So that was a very intimate murder. You know, that's very intimate to be that close and to murder someone in that way. But yeah, I just I have a feeling like this type of Internet nihilism is converting many more people into basically like sociopaths with little sense of fellow common humanity.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that's what Like, I'm genuinely not trying to make this a partisan or anti Trump comment. I'm saying this as somebody who's Charlie Kirk's age thirty two. He was about to turn thirty two when Donald Trump says what he said about elections, that is something you heard from the Fringes when I was growing up, when we were growing up. And the fact that that came out of the president of the United States, president the United States mouth after so many people in gen z just saw what they saw. I think genuinely, like boomers, people in Trump's demo have no idea what type of rocket fuel that is for nihilism and violence and danger, and it horrifies me to think about that combination.
Speaker 6: It really really does.
Speaker 2: I mean Ryan the you know, some of the violent weather underground and those type of movements. I mean I feel like that comes from a similar place of like, you know, oh well we the political system like failed us, and so you know, there's this is this is the only thing that Matt, this is the only thing that could work. I mean you can also see it in terms of like, uh, this, you know, the parallels are not perfect guys here, so forgive me. But the Hamas Palestinian like violent resistance too. It's like, hey, we tried, we tried, this thing didn't work, so our only path forward is is violence.
Speaker 7: The difference between uh you know that kind of organized violence and this is that what you could hate it, but it has and you can disagree, like I think the weathermen were reckless adventurists who uh you know, on and on people care about my you know weather ut of ground critique. But like the point is like they had they had an idea, like they were going to spark a revolution whatever, Like it had an it had a one two three, there.
Speaker 6: Was a grand strategy.
Speaker 1: I think it's an.
Speaker 7: Outrageous one two three and stupid and counterproductive and blah blah, but it was a the was a one two three, Like what is this?
Speaker 1: Like this feels like trolling.
Speaker 7: It feels like taking someone's life in the most with the flick of a wrist with for a personal catharsis and just joking like like you're in a discord server like to but this is to take someone's life with references to like video game memes and meme and furry memes is so sacrilegious to humanity. Mm hmmm, So keep that on discord, like you want to.
Speaker 6: Feel you want to feel black pilled.
Speaker 5: The weather underground could actually organize a group of physical people to plan.
Speaker 7: Right that way, they blew them so, they blew themselves up, but at least they were able to get more than one person in a room.
Speaker 5: They were not yet they were they right, right right, And so that's a huge difference from a lone wolf Internet radicals or Internet nihilists, because think about I mean think about this that he was not part of a literal underground community of dozens of people who are organizing in back rooms.
Speaker 6: This is somebody who was alone.
Speaker 5: When you are part of a radical revolutionary group, whether it was right or left underground or whatever else. These are people who had, like that was a sense of purpose and belonging community. This is somebody who has no and that's all like everything that Ryan said underscore, like awful, horrible way to define community through violence like that. But this is somebody who is who's trying to find purpose in saying there is no purpose and is trying to make that point the Oh my god, I mean, it's just so depressing to think about.
Speaker 7: I think I have a clip here that's a little bit more of the the family member stuff if you want to roll back through this again, just like so.
Speaker 4: We can see if are you able to share it Ryan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let me do it here.
Speaker 14: The family member also confirmed Robinson had a Gray Dodge Challenger. Investigators identified an individual as the roommate of Robinson. Investigators interviewed that roommate, who stated that his roommate, referring to Robinson, made a joke on discord. Investigators asked if you would show them the messages on discord. He opened it and showed several messages to investigators and allowed investigators to take photos of the screen as each message was shown.
Speaker 8: By Robinson's roommate.
Speaker 14: These photos consisted of various messages, including content of messages between the phone contact named Tyler with an emoji icon and Robinson's roommate's device. The content of these messages included messages affiliated with the contact Tyler, stating a need to retrieve a rifle from a drop point, leaving the rifle in a bush. Messages related to a to visually watching the area where a rifle was left, and a message referring to having left the rifle wrapped in a towel. The messages also referred to engraving bullets and a mention of a scope and the rifle being unique. Messages from the contact Tyler also mentioned that he had changed outfits. Wow, I know there has been speculation as well as to the writing on those casings, those those bullet casings, and I.
Speaker 8: Believe we have that as well. We already do this and I'll share that with you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, we already got the casings.
Speaker 2: But the so, in my understanding, right, this man murdered Charlie Kirk and then went on a discord server to be like talking about the gun and talking about changing his clothes and basically.
Speaker 1: Talking about it seking his roommate for help.
Speaker 4: Is that what I'm understanding here.
Speaker 1: That he's doing.
Speaker 7: He's doing that police talk, which makes it deliberately difficult to translate into English, but that.
Speaker 4: Does That is wild. That is wild.
Speaker 2: You did this and you got away, you left your gun, and you're like talking about the gun, talking about where you left it, talking about how you changed your clothes, bringing about this to your buddy on a discord server, like when it.
Speaker 6: Took twenty four plus hours.
Speaker 5: They didn't until this person's again, like until this person's dad turned them in.
Speaker 6: This was in a.
Speaker 5: Public place full of CCTV at a densely crowded event, and this person is bragging about it on a discord server afterwards, and the FBI more than twenty four hours in about thirty six hours in had nothing except for by the grace of God, this person's father had the willpower to turn them in. So increasingly looking like from my perspective right now, is increasingly looking like uh, possible antif nihilism, but also horrific.
Speaker 6: Law enforcement response.
Speaker 5: I mean, just what the hell of crazy?
Speaker 6: That's so dangerous? It's so dangerous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there and and then cash hotel has the temerity to go out and brag about how historic and how incredible, how incredible of a job they'd done. I mean, it's just it's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: I Mean the truth is that you don't.
Speaker 7: Law enforcement doesn't have to be that great. If you if a picture gets out, like, right, you're gonna get You're gonna get found.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because everybody is the public, right, and almost all the public is going to be on your side. Right, There's gonna be very few that would actually be willing to you know, harbor the Charlie Kirk murder, not turn them in, you know, right.
Speaker 7: So unless he's you know, going you have to wear a ski mask and then people be like, what the hell are you doing wearing a ski mask?
Speaker 11: Right?
Speaker 1: Maybe the other so just during the pandemic, maybe could have stuck in.
Speaker 2: You could have gotten away with it. Yeah, Or if you're posing as an ice agent, you could pull out.
Speaker 1: All that's true. I'm an ice agent on the roof.
Speaker 2: Yeah, actually, yeah, that would be been even more of a twenty twenty five murder. And then the other aspect of it, you know, to add to the sort of dystopian unreality, the whole thing, because I know you guys saw this, like influencer who was there, who was posting to TikTok, like follow me on TikTok, and like mugging for the camera, which again is like, you know, even as you're living through this horror, you're still like somehow disconnected from it, even as you're like in the real world, still disconnected from it. And after the fact, I know, we like apologize, I'll be a better creator, whatever, but you're like disconnected from the very reality and the humanity that you are existing with and living through.
Speaker 5: Because your reality is that your career is tied to the algorithm, and so you are This is like Marshall mccleuan, You are as a human being changed by the medium that is controlling your life. And these mediums are not changing us for the better. There's just clearly we are being warped into our own thought processes having dictation by the algorithm because you start thinking in terms of the algorithm, and people need to be extremely careful about it, and we aren't, and the tech companies aren't. The tech companies X included Elon Musk is condemning all of this, but he owns a company that has one of the most major roles in poisoning US algorithmically, poisoning US algorithmically. So it's just like it reminds me of the video of that went viral in a totally different vein of that young man who was saying he was working really hard and couldn't get ahead, that went megaviral like a month ago, and it was he was dead on in his description of the economy. It was, it was accurate, it was poignant. And then you look at the bottom of the TikTok and it says things like hashtag follow me, and it's think about that, I mean, hashtag follow me, hashtag so like you had hashtags basically.
Speaker 6: Being like I want to become an influencer something to that extent.
Speaker 5: And it's just like that is just I don't know that you could possibly be much more depressed about the state of the country.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think it's an accelerant, Like I don't think it starts with the social media. I think it's it's an accelerant the internet culture for a society that's already sick in any number of ways. But yeah, I don't I don't know what to say about it. And we can wrap up here pretty soon, because I don't I don't see you know, I don't know what else we're going to get right now. But Ryan, you got any any last thoughts you want to add in here?
Speaker 7: No, I mean the only uh, you know, for people like myself who don't want this to be like a leftist, the only hope is that he's trolling with his hey fascist catch and that sort of stuff, mellow chow and the belli chow. That that that that's that, that's some kind of a troll in a in a misdirection.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think I hear Mac. What's Mac saying?
Speaker 5: Oh? No, that was actually it was you heard yourself through my microphone, gotcha?
Speaker 7: So, uh, you know, these are just you know, dark, dark, dark times really and it's uh, it's still hard to believe that Charlie Kirk is dead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is just thinking that it feels it's crazy. And I mean that's the other aspect of this is Emily you brought up like the parasocial relationship that millions have with him and will experience this as if you know someone who's genuinely close to them.
Speaker 4: Was gil mm hmmm, h m hm.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's it's so like and that can go in really positive directions for some people. But again, I'm not worried about the people who are reacting healthily to this, because I know that there's a large group of people that aren't going to react ealthily to this because they have no community, they have no friends, but they have a they have a computer. And I'm just going to put this before we wrap. I just want to put this image that we've gotten in of Charlie's widow now widow on the screen because it is just you just look at her face and the video emerge of her exiting Air Force two with Ushavants and just gripping Ontosha Vance. Obviously, JD was very close friends with with Charlie. Charlie helped get JD onto the ticket by lobbying behind the scenes with what Don Junior uh And so this is something that this administration, I mean again at the White House yesterday, those young Trump staffers, that the level of doom that was ever present hanging in the air the entire day and shock it just you know, it's it's one way I think, you know, we're talking now about how people in the public are experiencing this, and that's right, because it's crazy. But just also think about how closely this is touching the way that we talked about this earlier, the reactions from this administration. This is so so personal, so personal. So it's a really scary time.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Trump had no like direct personal connection to big Balls. This is someone he knew and knew closely and you know, was looped in within minute station in any number of ways. So we'll see where we go from here. Anything else, guys.
Speaker 6: I just hope you guys, uh, stay safe.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I appreciate you guys, I'll say that, and you know, I let's we'll end on the good news.
Speaker 4: It's good news that this guy.
Speaker 2: Got caught, good news that he's in custody, good news that you know, they've got him. And I'm sure we're gonna we're gonna learn a lot more here and you know, well, if there's anything that pops up big over the weekend, guys, one or the other of us will try to cover it. Otherwise, Soccer and I will be in studio for a normal show on Monday, and we will see you then.
Speaker 6: Pull people out of nihilism.
Speaker 5: By the way, sorry, I just want to say, because like we have some very online people and we're grateful for all of you.
Speaker 6: If you see someone going down a dark path, do what you can to pull them out of it. That's the best we can all do right now.
Speaker 4: Yep, all right, guys, talk to you soon.