Speaker 1: On this episode of the Heat Check.
Speaker 2: It's my favorite time of the year. Oh my god, I love it. It's the tea is the hottest right now. This summer is hot, but free agency is hotter. He checks here to keep you up on everything happening as of eleven thirty Eastern Standard time Sunday night. We will also drop a bonus interview with NBA insider Trevor Lane, who maybe a little bit late on a possible deal between the Jeremy Grant of the Portland Trailblazers and the Lakers, but hopefully not Anthony. Teams are getting rearranged right before our very eyes, So drop that motherfucking beat that should be Rihanna. Free agency began at six pm on a Sunday, which is truthfully very fucking weird for it to begin, But I don't know when. When the Draft is two days and then you've got days between.
Speaker 1: I don't actually know why.
Speaker 2: But there are two really huge developing stories right now and a couple of big free agent signings that we.
Speaker 1: Have to get into.
Speaker 2: There are two players leaving their teams and making huge.
Speaker 1: Waves throughout the NBA and doing so.
Speaker 2: The first is Paul George Clippers put out a tweet which was, I'm sorry for your loss, but I'm not reading all that. Like that was what I saw on their twitter. I was like, that's a full memo and I don't know what it said. I just know it was way too many words for me to read all that. To say, the headline was all we needed to know is that Paul George will not be returned, even though he wants to stay in the West Coast, even though the Warriors couldn't get a deal done for him, even though he's probably not going to the Sacramento Kings, even though he's not going to the Lakers, He's gonna go to the East Coast, but he will not return. And yes, we will get into the worst trade in the history of basketball, which is that one?
Speaker 1: That one. There just is nothing worse. There just is nothing worse.
Speaker 2: Shay Gilgess Alexander, who is top three MVP voting last year, led the league in steals, led the league in deflections, averaged thirty points per game, one of the most consistent players in the league, a great rebounder, a great playmaker, and then seven.
Speaker 1: First round picks.
Speaker 2: So like to be honest, if Shay was to be traded right now, considering what we saw for Michale Bridges, like, would that be twenty first round draft picks essentially like seven for the first rounds that you got, and then Shae whatever Shay is worth, Like, Shae's got to be worth seven, right, that's fourteen picks. I just they're gonna get the They have the right to swat picks in twenty twenty five, which is the most loaded class that we've seen since probably the Scoot Brandon Miller Wemby class, but maybe even more stacked than that.
Speaker 1: For now, he is on the move.
Speaker 2: It looks like he might be ending up in Philadelphia, which is also fucking crazy because the Clippers sent two first round picks to Philadelphia to get James Harden and now if Paul George goes to Philadelphia, that only benefits Philadelphia in the sense that the Clippers are now only.
Speaker 1: Much worse team. Wow. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Philadelphia still might find a way to fuck it up, but I expect this to resolve itself in the next couple of days. Jesus Christ, the Clippers are a dumpster fire. They also picked up Kevin Porter Junior, the guy who beat the shit out of his girlfriend and was out damn league and has been playing for Olympiacos Like not a joke, that's where he's been playing.
Speaker 1: I don't know what's up with Rip Jerry West Rip.
Speaker 2: That's all I'm gonna say. The other big news right now, Klay Thompson is leaving the Warriors. I thought I'd never hear that ever. Klay Thompson will no longer be a splash brother, Steph Curry and Clay will not finish their careers together. Why turns out Klay Thompson's in his feelings again.
Speaker 1: Shocking.
Speaker 2: Klay Thompson feels disrespected by the Warriors, so he's willing to take less money to play for another team than the team that drafted him. He won all those rings with one of his best friends is on the team, and they're still gonna pay him twenty million even though they're in the luxury tax and maybe hardcat but no, he'd rather be paid thirteen million to play for the Lakers because he felt disrespected the team that gave them one hundred and ninety million dollars over five years after he tore his ACL and then was out for a year, played in an unsanctioned scrimmage and tore his achilles. He was out for two and a half years, never was the same player, and they still stood by him. He can't stop pouting because he wants a MAX contract even though he does not deserve it, and even though he didn't deserve that one after he tore his acl That is not a good look for Clay.
Speaker 1: This is bad.
Speaker 2: I cannot wait to hear what Draymond Green is gonna say about this to shit tomorrow. Who is in the Clay Thompson sweepstakes? The Dallas Mavericks for one, through Orlando Magic for two, and now the Clippers and the Lakers and the Sixers.
Speaker 1: What's crazy is by the way, I saw a.
Speaker 2: Tweet from back in twenty nineteen where WOJ was saying that Klay Thompson was willing to explore an offer with the Clippers.
Speaker 1: If they didn't give him his max back then.
Speaker 2: Klay Thompson's been strong arm in the Warriors for five years. I don't know where he's gonna go, but I tell you what, I don't even know if he's gonna be effective. It does mean the end of an era for Golden State, though it I just never thought it would happen, honestly, And for my man, Mike Dunleavy Junior, you've been fumbling the bags or you lost out on I don't know. You could have gotten a deal done with the Spurs for Chris Paul, but you waved him so No, you traded Jordan pull for Chris Paul.
Speaker 1: And then got really nothing back.
Speaker 2: So you don't have anyone to even like Phill Klay Thompson's shoes. Clay's gonna leave probably for nothing, maybe or very little. You tried to figure out a way to get Paul George, but you couldn't do it. It's just been a bad, bad tenure for Mike Dunleavy Junior.
Speaker 1: But there are two free agent signings that I do love so far.
Speaker 2: First in my favorite move of free agency, KCP Kent Tavies Collet Pulp two time champion by the way, two time champion with two different teams, three years, sixty six million to the Orlando Magic and do they need him? Oh yeah, because what happened in that Cleveland Cavalier series.
Speaker 1: Orlando had no shooters.
Speaker 2: They were I think they shot like twenty percent from three two wins catastrophic loss. Two things actually about this catastrophic loss for the Nuggets. And also, by the way, the Nuggets offered very similar amount of money for KCP, but Calvin Booth went on record and said that they would be fine without KCP. So KCP was like, fine, we'll see, I'll find you will be pull shit. Stop talking, Calvin Booth.
Speaker 1: Stop.
Speaker 2: KCP was a very important piece to their championship run. And now they got to figure out a way to get another three and D guy. And don't tell me it's Christian Brown. Just don't I love this for Orlando. Now they can throw out Jalen Suggs and KCP, who are all NBA defensive type talents. In terms of defense, they can both give you a good three, a great move.
Speaker 1: The Magic are on the come up, and I think they might even be headed for more moves.
Speaker 2: They might get Clay second. Speaking of Golden State, like I said, they wave Chris Paul. Chris Paul goes and finds a new home in San Antonio, which is a low key, very sneaky good move. A guy who can give you a ton of assists of Victor woman Yama and slow down the offense to a pace that actually makes sense, and not giving the ball to cheering me Sohn, which made no sense. CP three plays with another generational talent and help him improve the same way. I think that he was very good for DeAndre Aiden. Plus he can fill in for Greg Popovich if Greg Papovitch gets technicaled out of a game and yell when Greg Popovic either gets it you know, to kicked out or where he loses his voice. A lot of interesting smaller moves. Now losing Paul George and the Los Angeles Clippers make a couple of moves. They get Kevin Porter Junior. Like I said, two year deal, James Harden signs two year seventy million, which I don't know what to make of because to me, I felt like James Harden's value had diminished below thirty five million a year. But somehow he's saying he's taking a pay cut to be a good team guy. He left money on the table, that's what they're saying. The Clippers are now going to move Russell Westbrook somewhere.
Speaker 1: It might be the Nuggets.
Speaker 2: Who knows who does not shoot threes well, but he does play defense. If Kawhi goes down, I think this Clippers team could win thirty games, maybe less.
Speaker 1: Honestly, maybe less.
Speaker 2: Who's on that team besides Terrence Man, I don't I don't think anyone if Kawhi is injured. Phoenix has made some interesting moves. They signed Mason Plumley to a one year deal. They re signed Roy O'Neill four years.
Speaker 1: Forty four million.
Speaker 2: They brought Bull Bowl back on a one year deal, which none of this move is the needle in anyway for me. The Sons are in deep shit, deep shit.
Speaker 1: The Sixers.
Speaker 2: I think Darryl Moury only knows like has like ten players numbers in his phone because he brings back Eric Gordon, Like, Okay, I don't know what the deal terms are, but Eric Gordon is back in the mix. Like he literally just brings guys over that used to play for him in Houston, just like PJ.
Speaker 1: Tucker. Is anyone else noticing this?
Speaker 2: He brought back Andre Drummond, who was on the Sixers at one point, to backup and beat. And then of course the Wizards, my man Troy Weaver comes in as a consultant and immediately starts fucking shit up. They drafted a center with the number two pick in Alex Aar and then went out and signed not one, but two free agent centers when they already have a center in Marvin Bagley, who, by the way, already played for Troy Weaver, Jonas Valanciunis, mister Powdy mcpotterson himself three years.
Speaker 1: Thirty million, what.
Speaker 2: Rashawn Holmes is getting thirteen million, two years twenty six million. I thought Rashawn Holmes was not gonna be an NBA player anymore.
Speaker 1: Wasn't Rashawn Holmes on the Wizards? I don't know, wasn't he on the Pistons? I don't know. Washington has people in.
Speaker 2: Charge, but boy, oh boy, does this feel like some old Wizard shit. Actually, it sounds more like old pisto and shit, because like they love, they loved having five centers on the team that they didn't know what to do with Jesus Christ. Finally, the MAVs made a big move, but it will also end up costing them. They signed Pelican's Naji Marshall three years twenty seven million, which I like. Naji Marshall was really good in that Pelican series in the first rounds. But it turns out they're probably losing Dereck Jones Junior in the in the process on a technicality because he switched agents and there's like some fifteen day waiting period, some sort of technicality where he can have to wait before he can resign, and that apparently is going to be too late.
Speaker 1: They both have eyes.
Speaker 2: On Klay Thompson. There were a ton of players who resigned with their teams. Here a list of the important ones. Pistons resigned Kate Cunningham five years, two hundred and twenty seven million dollars on a max extension. Raptors resigned Scottie Barnes five years to twenty five on a max extension. That's a shitload of money for a guy who can't shoot threes. Emmanuel Quickly five years one to seventy five to the Raptors, Wow bam Adebayo three years one sixty six to the Heat Pascal Siakam gets resigned four years one ninety to the Pacers. Nick Claxton does end up resigning with the Nets, which is pretty surprising four years, one hundred million, which is kind of what I thought. Of course, we know about the King's resigning. Malik Monk four year, four years seventy eight million, Kevin Love two years eight million back to the Heat. Oh, how the mighty have fallen. Here's an interesting one that no one saw coming. Max Christie resigns.
Speaker 1: Four years, thirty two million dollars with the Lakers.
Speaker 2: Are we sure Max Christy isn't a clutch client, because that's the only thing that would make sense to me. Obi top End resigns at four years sixty million to the Pacers, which is fascinating considering that the Pacers still have Jeris Walker on the roster.
Speaker 1: So what's gonna make mean for him? Is he gonna what?
Speaker 2: I really don't know how he's gonna get into the rotation. Alex lenn resigns with the Kings one year, three million, Patrick William five years ninety millions to.
Speaker 1: Stay with the Bulls. Holy shit, Bulls, what's the vision?
Speaker 2: DeAndre Jordan re signs that one year three point six million to the Nuggets.
Speaker 1: Just to make sure that those nicolea you'gic on off splits are still abysmal.
Speaker 2: Luke Cornett on a one year deal and to MIAs Cada on a four year deal to the Celtics. Hell yeah, Tomas Cada, get your Bread. The following players had their options picked up or opted.
Speaker 1: Into their player options.
Speaker 2: Jericho Sims Knicks, Cam Reddish by the Lakers, Tory Craig to the Bulls. I don't know what they're doing, Garrison Matthews by the Hawks, Wile Jayshawn Tate by the Rockets, Sam Houser by the Celtics, Delano'banton by the Blazers, Jackson Hayes to the Lakers, Josh Richardson to the Heat, Bruce Brown to the Raptors, which is just to portray piece, let's be honest, and PJ Tucker the Clippers, which be honest, probably is a trade clip trip as well. There's some players though being released by their teams or having their team options declined, making them free agents. Oh also, I think d Low opted into his contract and he's gonna be traded anyway. Including ten first rounders and five lottery picks. Teams are just like, we don't want you, baby, Joe Ingles by the Magic, Sidik Bay by the Hawks nineteenth pick in twenty twenty. Omar, you're at seven. Kyra Lewis thirteenth pick in twenty twenty, which makes perfect sense. Potter by the Jazz, Dominic Barlow by the Spurs. A lot of Spurs fans very pissed about that one, which, like, I just don't know that we need to get up in arms about that. Tristan Vucevich forty second pick in the twenty twenty three draft by the Wizards, Xavier Moon, who, by the way, last year in the Summer League was an I could think he was. Paul George kai Jones nineteen pick and twenty twenty one by the Clippers, um Killian Hayes number seven pick over in twenty twenty, Evan Fournier, Buddy Beheim chim as he met to Stanley Umoud, Troy Brown who is the fifteenth pick in twenty eighteen, and James fucking Wiseman Warriors pick number two in the draft in twenty.
Speaker 1: Twenty by the Pistons.
Speaker 2: Trajan Langdon basically waiving the entirety of Troy weavers life's work.
Speaker 1: Honestly, He's like, fuck these guys. These guys fucking stink, honestly.
Speaker 2: Pressure Toe Chewia number twenty in twenty twenty, which is very sad.
Speaker 1: Dakwan Jeffries by the Knicks.
Speaker 2: Luke Kennard twelfth pick in twenty seventeen, but they're actually working on a long term deal Chuma Okeeke sixteenth pick in twenty nineteen by the Hornets, Mo Wagner by the Magics, but I think that they're still working at a long term deal for him, Isaiah Joe and Aaron Wiggins, but they're working out long term deals with okc Lester Keonees by the Warriors and Seth Curry by the Hornets. Wow players currently opting out of the player options and becoming free agents. Jalen Smith opted out of his final year of the Pacers contract, Damian Lee and Joshua Kogi opted out of the final year of the Sun's contract, Caleb Martin heading to other places leaving the Heat, and Thomas Bryant opting out of his final year with the Heat as well. So much to get over later, but that's it for now.
Speaker 1: On a Sunday night night, that's pretty much all popping as of midnight.
Speaker 2: Let's turn to an interview I did with NBI insider Trevor Lane on the Front Office show. He was joined on my other show at MGM Tonight, which airs on the radio in most as markets from seven to eleven Eastern and live on Twitch and YouTube as well. I'm joined by my other co host, Nick Ashew and Ryan Horbot. Was a fascinating interview, by the way, So let's get right into which.
Speaker 3: Ah and with that, there's no way to segue to Trevor Lane, but we will with that. Maybe he's going to a farmer's market tomorrow, I have no idea. Let's start with before we get to the Lakers, the breaking news to Jontay Murray getting traded, uh to the Pelicans. All three of us really do like this move. Think it's a certainly a better spot for him. Your thoughts on that trade and maybe farmer's markets too, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Way, yeah, I mean, first of all, that was a great movie reference there. I love it old school, but uh yeah, look, de Jontay Murray ultimately going to the to the Pelicans obviously a big disappointment for Lakers fans who were hoping to get to Jontay Murray in a trade.
Speaker 5: Honestly, I'm a little.
Speaker 4: Bit underwhelmed by what the Hawks got in returning to Jontay Murray in a couple of second round for Johntay Murray, a couple of second round picks and then.
Speaker 5: Dyson Daniels, who's a fine player.
Speaker 4: But you know, if you're Atlanta, you move away from the Tree Young Murray experiment and you move into the future round Alex Sar, Trey Young, and then you move on from there.
Speaker 2: I think it was two first round picks, was it not? Maybe I'm tripping. I thought it was too.
Speaker 3: Fir yeahs swap So no, not a swap. Sorry, but it's twenty.
Speaker 2: Twenty five first round pick in a twenty twenty seven first round pick, but the least favorable of locks to tell us that which'll probably be we may maybe it's maybe it's box Bucks could be imploding.
Speaker 1: We never know, Trevor would ever know.
Speaker 2: In terms of the Lakers moves, we've been hearing pretty much all off season that Rob Polinka just thinks it's impossible.
Speaker 1: To make trades. But here we are with all of these trades happening.
Speaker 2: As somebody who covers this team and is tapped into the fan base, how infuriating is it to watch players that you want to come to your team end up on pretty favorable trades.
Speaker 4: Well, certainly there's a lot of Lakers fans out there right now that are questioning whether or not.
Speaker 5: The Lakers tax is real.
Speaker 4: If this is a real thing, like teams just don't seem to want to trade with the Lakers now. I think you can make an argument here that when you're in the Hawks position and you can get a twenty twenty five first round pick, which is ironically the Lakers first round pick, but not something the Lakers could offer, that there is certainly some value in that, especially when we look at Cooper Flag and him being a guy who could potentially be available in this twenty twenty five draft. So that is certainly something and it's something to keep in mind when we're evaluating this. But yeah, from a Lakers perspective, seeing de Jon taint Murray, who is a guy the Lakers were heavily involved in targeting last trade deadline, seeing him go elsewhere doesn't feel great, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Who is on the target list now in terms of like Laker potential Lakers that you guys might want to acquire in the offseason.
Speaker 5: Sure, I mean there's a few guys.
Speaker 4: When we look at Cam Johnson from the Nets, that's a player who you know, we're expecting that team to try to move towards the future. Move off of some long term salaries, so maybe there's something there.
Speaker 5: Jeremy Grant.
Speaker 4: I always hesitate with the Portland Trail Blazers though, because they've never traded with the Lakers, and that's that's kind of a source of pride for the Blazers that they have executed to trade with the Lakers. So that's part of it too, right, So j Grant somebody who could be out there. Maybe I think it would make sense for the Blazers to move on from them. But would you know he actually send Would they actually send Jeremy Grant to the Lakers?
Speaker 5: That's a question, but exactly they really do.
Speaker 4: But de Jontay Murray was the biggest name probably that was realistic out there, especially now with Trey Young almost certainly staying in Atlanta with the Murray trade. So it's uh, it's slim Pickens at this point.
Speaker 6: I was a big fan of the Brownie pick because it made me a bunch of money, and I like a good storyline and I'm just hashtag team Dad and I just like, what were you gonna do a pick fifty five? I don't think anything was really going to move the needle for this team.
Speaker 4: What were your thoughts same, you know, And I'm right there too, And I think it's an interesting divide between people who are parents there are people who are not.
Speaker 5: People like myself who I have a daughter. I think about, Hey, how.
Speaker 4: Amazing would it be to be able to do something like that with your kid, And so that, you know, I got to sympathize or empathize.
Speaker 5: With with that type of situation.
Speaker 4: But I do think that at the fifty five pick in the NBA draft, look, there is there's legitimately players that are at that stage of the draft that are telling teams don't draft me because they want to go somewhere an undrafted free agency. So I'm not gonna worry that much about it. It's not like it's not like they spent the seventeenth pick on him. I don't think that there's a reason for all of this outcry over the Browny selection using that pick. I think that's more than fine on Bronnie. And you know what, he is a legitimate NBA talent in his own right that is worthy of being selected there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we also know, I mean, yet how many players at fifty five and it's really gone on to Yeah, I mean it's like like men who went at fifty seven Isaiah Thomas, the Thomas last pick of the draft, and again there could be somebody in this, but yeah, you look at this and say it just it made more sense for them, I think at that point to go with the unique story that's there. Talking to Trevor Lane bet MGM tonight. So now you say obviously that you think Bronnie is obviously an NBA talent in his own right, What does his rookie season look like with this team in your eyes?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think he's going to spend a lot of time with the South Bay Lakers. He'll be with the G League club, he'll be developing. And that was a big part of this was Clutch Sports Rich Paul. They wanted to make sure that Bronnie was with a team that was going to be invested in his future and developing him and understanding that he's not ready to step into the NBA right away. Yes, he'll be a draw at Summer League. They'll be buzz in the building with Bronnie is playing, but he's not going to be expected to step on the floor and play right away for the Lakers, and that's going to be a critical part of this, giving him that time to develop. He is a legitimate talent, but it's going to take him time to get to the point to where he is able to step on the floor in the NBA. I do think we'll see him have that moment where he plays with his dad, and that's going to be an incredible moment. But I would not expect to see him night in, night out playing with the Lakers. I think he's going to be spending most of his time playing with the South Bay Lakers in the G League.
Speaker 2: It feels like Trevor, Paul George, and Clay Thompson are somewhat bells of the ball in this free agency, a lot of options, teams trying to figure out a way to make those deals work. What would be your prediction in terms of where those two players go?
Speaker 4: You know what I think when we look at this, we look at Klay Thompson, we look at Paul George. I think specifically, this is actually a win for the NBA in terms of their new collective bargaining agreement. This was done with targets painted on the backs of the Warriors and the Clippers to try to force them to move talent off their rosters and really target these big spenders and and send some of this talent to other teams around the NBA. And so Klay Thompson and Paul George specifically being two guys who could wind up leaving their teams and going elsewhere. I think the NBA is going to be able to point to the CBA and say it's working, this was the plan. It's working. You've got the Clippers with Steve Bomber, who has infinite money now balking at the idea of paying Paul George and giving him a four year deal and ultimately sending him on somewhere else. You know, I think that's a big piece to this story here. But in terms of ultimately where these guys wind up, I do kind of buy into, as strange as it sounds, the Warriors being interested in Paul George, but I have a hard time not believing that he's just going to walk into Phillies camp space. It seems like it's such a clean exit for him to go head over to the Eastern Conference where things are much much easier and walk into that Philadelphia seventy six or camp space. And then when I look at Klay Thompson and I see what the Orlando Magic need another Eastern Conference team.
Speaker 5: I think he makes a lot of sense there.
Speaker 4: So if their incumbent teams don't come with the offers that they're looking for, and so far that has been the case, the offers are not there for them, it wouldn't shock me at both of these guys wind up making a move.
Speaker 5: Eastward really quick.
Speaker 1: Casep also looks like he's going to be a free agent.
Speaker 2: I saw some comments by GM Calvin Booth that were very similar to the comments that he made about Bruce Brown last year, basically saying if Casep.
Speaker 1: Walks, we're going to be just fine.
Speaker 2: And that's what he said last year, and they were not Trevor just fine. Like what's your take on what's happening with the Nuggets and just that perspective from Nuggets GM Calvin Booth.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're on the money. I drew the exact same connection.
Speaker 4: I said, gosh, they said the same stuff last year with Bruce Brown. They were talking about Peyton Watson and how he was going to step into this role and everybody was going to be so impressed with him. And I like Peyton Watson, but losing Bruce Brown certainly hurt the Denver Nuggets, and cous Cobo Pope.
Speaker 5: Will be an even bigger blow.
Speaker 4: I think he's one of the best three and D guards out there in the NBA. I think he will be a big loss for the Denver Nuggets. And again, this is when we're looking at these teams that are right up against that second tier apron These are the kind of difficult decisions that the NBA wanted them to have to make to redistribute talent around the league. So Contavious Coal Pope is a guy that's going to be in high demand.
Speaker 5: Around the league.
Speaker 4: We know the three and D skill set is something that everybody is looking for. KCP being a multiple time champion now with multiple clubs, he is going to be a key target.
Speaker 5: Like if if Philly.
Speaker 4: Does not wind up with Paul George, like I was predicting, they could easily pivot to Kntavious Colboll Pope and make that would make a lot of sense for them. So I do think that Denver appears to be resigned to their fate that they're going to lose Contavious Cobwoll Pope. And despite the brave face they might be putting on. It is going to hurt.
Speaker 6: Do you think Cleveland looks to do anything with Evan Mobley or Jared Allen, maybe looks to move one of those two.
Speaker 5: I think they keep them. I think they keep you know.
Speaker 4: I know there's been some talk about Jared Allen and potentially moving on from him, but I think he's a really good big on a on a great contract. I don't have a problem with the twenty million dollars that he is owed. I think that makes a lot of sense to keep that pairing together. Even Darius Garland they're calling his bluff currently, we'll see and when push comes to shove. But if he has for a trade after a Donovan Mitchell deal gets done, I do think that the Cavs are they're invested in this group. Maybe they ultimately move on from guard Erland if he does ask for a deal, But I think Jared Allen, Evan Bobley, I think they're guys to build around for the future.
Speaker 5: They're building blocks.
Speaker 4: Donovan Mitchell is said to be a big fan of Jared Allen, and if that's the case, I don't see him going anywhere.
Speaker 3: Talking to Trevor Lane BETTEMGM tonight. We've talked obviously about a lot of teams that have a lot of needs and a lot of offseason decisions to make. But we obviously we obviously, if I could speak, it's a Friday, this is how things go. We watched the Knicks have right now to this point, the most aggressive offseason with anybody. And it's really not even official, but we know this is how the NBA works. The stuff's agreed upon long before it actually becomes official. Is there any other team East or West, doesn't matter that you look at and you say, I think they could try to at least match what the Knicks did in terms of major regression and spending money. And obviously they're retaining some guys too. It's really the Michail Bridges trade that was the big deal. But somebody that may have the same mindset that the Knicks have already had.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I look at one team out west, the Sacramento Kinks.
Speaker 5: You look at them in the situation that they're in right now.
Speaker 4: They got their taste the playoffs year before this past season, and they liked it. They hadn't hit the playoffs in seventeen years. They want to make sure that they are back there in that spot for the foreseeable future. They want to be that playoff team, and you look at what they've got right now, you can tell they're probably a piece short.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 4: The West is extremely difficult. This is a brutal gauntlet to get through the West. But they've already been connected to guys like Zach Levine. They've got a few pieces, specifically Harrison Barnes, a guy they're looking to upgrade from. I look at Sacramento, particularly with Daron Fox not agreeing to an extension with them just yet and wanting to see what they're going to do. I think Sacramento could be the next team to make a big move, whether it's Zach Levine or somebody else. They've already had a good summer retaining Malik Monk, and now I think they could be in play to make the next big move and land another wing to help out this roster.
Speaker 2: Trevor, the Chicago Bulls have been a team that I feel like has been delusional about their standing in the NBA, and now it feels like the vision is becoming a lo little bit clearer for them that they can't keep doing the things that they've been doing. I still don't understand though, what it is that they're trying to do, you know, getting Josh Gitty and then Madus, who are similar players in the sense that they can't shoot. Can you help help us understand what it is their vision is.
Speaker 5: I wish I could. I wish I wish I could.
Speaker 4: Nobody knows what the what the Bulls are doing at this point. You know, we've been saying for a while now that they needed to move on. They had that brief, brief period where they had Lonzo Ball was healthy and they looked like this exciting, fun team, and everything has just fallen apart since then. I'm worried that they're going to give too much money to Demartin Rose and to stick around just in an attempt to stay in the play in. They were rumored to have been offered a top ten pick last year at the trade deadline and not take that for Alex Caruso instead because they wanted to make the play in, instead taking the deal for Josh Gitty this summer. I sure hope, and I know Bulls fans are ready for it too, that they do decide ultimately to fully commit to a rebuild. Because it's what they need right now, and it's what Bulls fans deserve. And you know what this whole adage of well, fans aren't going to be patient for something like that, They're not going to sit through it. No, NBA fans are smarter than that. They understand what it is that teams are looking to do. As long as there is a clear plan, as long as you can see what that end goal is, fans will buy in, fans will stay loyal. And that's what I think the Bulls need to do. They need to fully commit to the rebuild. That might mean a sign and trade for Demato Rose and send them somewhere else and give this team a much brighter future. That's what the Bulls need to do right now.
Speaker 3: Has someone that covered the Wizards myself? I watched that team do the same thing for years. It was all about getting the eighth seed and that's it, and all it does is delay the inevitable for an organization. So maybe the Bulls have finally figured that part out. Trevor Lane, host of The Front Office Show, and Lakers love having you on, man, really appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Hey, thanks, guys, appreciate you having me.
Speaker 2: That's all the time that we have for this episode of the Heat Check. Come back Wednesday for an a new episode breaking down more Free Agent moves, or maybe an emergency episode on Tuesday. Check out the feed for past episodes of many episodes which drop unexpectedly like a curested Grand Slam Silent Jay. It was floating in the air for forever. Do not forget to follow the heat Check throughout Free Agency and Summer League and the Olympics. That means download, that means subscribe, That means tell your friends.
Speaker 1: I'm not ever getting a vacation.
Speaker 2: I promise you that even that incredible Laddy from the Nigeria you met outside of the Whole Foods who you said you would shout out on the podcast, tell her, hey, keep doing the Lord's work helping kids. But also do not try to get me to give money to the police for drug rehab or prevention, because we know the government's pumping drugs right into our system, okay, right into our black and brown communities. They do not give a fuck about a drug use, especially considering that they're still on that three strike bullshit in certain cities. Anyway, when you get some downtime, girl, check out the Heat Check with Trister Creek is dope and don't forget to follow us at at this Heat Check and at Trista Creek on TikTok, Twitter and Instagram and of course at some point YouTube. Thanks Anthony. Big shout out to Anthony. He's doing everything that he can to break Laker's news. Give him a follow Laker's Lounge. I'll ask you, girl,