Speaker 1: Hate everybody.
Speaker 2: We can't agree on anything in this country, including what time it is. Welcome everybody that's robes on TJ Daylight Saving time the way we do it now, you're forward or against it?
Speaker 1: Do you want them to change this?
Speaker 3: Before reading all the research.
Speaker 1: That you've provided here, There you go.
Speaker 3: My answer has always been, yes, I get depressed when we have to turn the clocks back. Yes, I get an extra hour of sleep, but that doesn't in any way compensate for the fact that I hate when it gets dark at four point fifteen here in New York City in the winter time. It's oof. That takes a toll on me mentally.
Speaker 2: Okay, like everybody else, they hate it because of the moment, the moment being when you switch the clocks. You don't have a problem when they switch the clocks. When we spring forward, that doesn't mess you up necessarily.
Speaker 3: Well, no, because it stays lighter longer, which makes me happy. When it gets darker early, it makes me sad.
Speaker 1: And you know you know this better than anybody. But the weather is not in control of your mood.
Speaker 3: You tell me this, all right, but it does it. They have been the mood when things get dark at four fifteen.
Speaker 2: It's personal to everybody and that's the issue, and we're trying to make it uniform for the whole country and it's difficult, but yes, it's talked to, being talked about right now, it's being talked about again. It's talked about pretty much every year. This happens pretty much every year, and there's some bills that have been sitting in Congress for years and years. They introduce it and they want to get rid of this bi annual thing we do, which is switch the clocks. So they want us to all be on what as we sit here, we're currently on daylight saving time, which means we put the clocks.
Speaker 1: Forward, yes, in the springtime.
Speaker 2: So the way they are right now, a bill that's been now approved in Congress would keep the time as it is and we'd never switch back.
Speaker 1: And here we are.
Speaker 3: How's that sounding amazing? And by the way, it was overwhelmingly approved in the House wheep this time. However, it doesn't mean that's where we're headed, because why would we ever expect the House and the Senate to agree on anything.
Speaker 2: Well, this is when they should agree on. This is what we should have a debate about. During war maybe not.
Speaker 1: It doesn't seem of all.
Speaker 2: That was going on and we had a shut down, they can get this done priorities.
Speaker 1: But yes, it is.
Speaker 2: They bring it up every year, but it's a big deal now, Rose because yes, not only did it get brought up.
Speaker 1: It has passed the house robes.
Speaker 2: It's one step away from possibly this country going to a full time daylight saving time, no more switching.
Speaker 3: And the President has already said he absolutely will give his stamp of approval. In fact, he has been encouraging. I believe he started making comments about this as early as May of this year, twenty twenty six, and was kind of saying, you're an idiot if you don't want more sunshine. I mean you paraphrasing a little bit. Is that?
Speaker 2: Do you find that's an oprah simplification of what's happening. But that's the argument that most people make. This is stupid. Why are we doing this? It throws us off, It throws our bodies off.
Speaker 3: It does get a lot easier now in current times where my phone automatically updates and a lot of our electronics automatically update. But I have to tell you, I remember being so annoyed. In fact, we do have some manual clocks. I'm like, for the love of God, twice a year I have to change the yes and you end up doing most of it. But the few times I've had to do it, yeah, that's I am put out.
Speaker 2: So what I'm saying, what you're saying is right. It is inconvenient. It's an annoyance. We have to go through it every year. And yes, it's difficult to all of a sudden change your clock, your body clock to all of a sudden, I gotta get up an hour early or hour late. Things get thrown off that I buy. The problem here is we're having the wrong argument. I didn't even realize that, but it's the wrong argument. We're arguing over whether or not we should go to daylight saving time full time. The argument should be we should absolutely get rid of the way we're doing it now doing it the switch is what everybody kind of agrees is wrong.
Speaker 3: That's the annoying part that's wrong. And especially I will say this now that my kids are older, it doesn't affect me. But when my kids were younger, that one hour through the whole schedule into Mayhem, I couldn't believe how much a baby or a toddler got thrown from one hour from a one hour change, and it really was disruptive for a couple weeks until your child gets into a new rhythm, and twice a year you have to go through this. I remember that being an added annoyance from birth, I think from birth up until probably even like like double digits. It threw my kids off, and I'm sure a lot of parents had that have had or are having that same experience.
Speaker 2: What romes You bring up a very good point that doesn't get talked about enough in these debates. Your circadian rhythm. Let's we're gonna talk about it here a little more later. But for kids, they don't have one. I know that out when they're born. They don't have that internal clock. It develops over time. So if a kid trying to develop an internal clock, you just took an hour away, or you gave an hour twice a year, it's hell.
Speaker 1: It is bad on kids, and that's exactly why, And.
Speaker 3: That means it's bad on parents, which affects almost everybody in this country at some point in their lives.
Speaker 1: Between your clocks and your kids. You really hate.
Speaker 3: Daylist, Nay, I really do I've actually felt very passionate about it for most of my life. I'm kind of embarrassing to admit, but I have felt passionate about it.
Speaker 2: To the point I was shocked that we were bordering on a relationship fight over daylight saving.
Speaker 1: It was I didn't know you would that bad.
Speaker 3: You actually told me that you like the switch. You look forward to the switch. I have never heard anyone say that before in my life.
Speaker 1: But I like the little gift you get.
Speaker 2: I like the change. I like all of a sudden, we just wake up one day and there's more light. I like robes that we wake up one day we get an extra hour of sleep.
Speaker 1: I like the switch. I've become some way a customed robes my entire life. This has been the case. Why you want to change it now?
Speaker 3: The change has been constant, which is why you like it, because you're used to it, because.
Speaker 2: There is a rhythm to it. I am used to it. My body is adjusted to it now. That's my thinking. Actually, I didn't realize there is science that backs me up.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying, why did you just search for the science that validated your feelings?
Speaker 1: No, normally, I would do that.
Speaker 3: I did, just wanted to check, okay.
Speaker 2: I did not have to this time because it was just hitting me in the face.
Speaker 1: TJ, you are right, boom boom, Wow.
Speaker 3: That's just a Monday or a Tuesday or a Wednesday.
Speaker 1: No, but this was interesting to hear.
Speaker 2: So do we have to explain this everybody, because sometimes it's a little difficult for me to understand daylight saving time.
Speaker 1: I get them mixed up sometimes.
Speaker 2: So daylight saving time we set our clocks back one hour in the colder months, we set our clocks ahead one hour in the warmer months. So we're in it now as of this recording, but it goes from March to November. Daylight saving time standard time is November to March. Makes sense, so standard time, you turn the clock back an hour, we get earlier sunrises and we get earlier sunsets. You don't like the earlier sunset part.
Speaker 3: I absolutely cannot stand that. And I think it does go back to my childhood. I remember doing homework and thinking it's pitch black and it just made me feel eh, And you know, I just there was actually something fun And maybe this is because of our early morning ritual being broadcast journalists for so many years, I thought there was something exciting and fun about driving to work in the dark, like I was doing something that no one else was doing. And I liked that feeling. And literally I remember I was like, oh, it's already light. My job isn't that special. Everybody else is up now too. It's funny there coming and going. There was something about the light differential that I somehow viewed negatively.
Speaker 1: Look, everybody has their thing.
Speaker 2: You have your reasons, and that's okay, yeah, and you are passionate as hell about it. So daylight saving time, So when we turn clots ahead an hour, what happens there?
Speaker 1: You know what I didn't ask you about this first?
Speaker 2: The earlier sunrises, the early not the late sunset, but the earlier sunrises. Forget the work part of it, but just naturally on a weekend, it.
Speaker 3: Feels weird to me that the sunrise is here at five. I get five thirty in the morning, it's already getting light. I feel like that's strange.
Speaker 2: Sorry, just getting a text message there from Sabine. I'm sure she's asking about the sunrises as well. Okay, so daylight saving time, we turn clots aheadun rises later.
Speaker 1: What do you feel about that?
Speaker 3: I like it?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 3: I like because we're always up early, and I have before most of my life, and I there is something cool about being up when it's dark and I know the sun's about to rise, so light is coming, and I don't know, there's just something about the anticipation of the sunrise. I like it.
Speaker 2: One other things, what's too late for a sunrise for you? What's too if the sun's still not up at what time is that?
Speaker 3: I like the sun to be up around seven am.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're totally in my camp. We're gona get to that in just a second. So what's happened now in Congress this year? Robes, Yes, this kind of came as a surprise and we saw the news first cross But the House has passed this bill. It's called the Sunshine Protection Act. Funny name from the Sunshine State Representative Anna Paulina Luna, Republican from Florida. She is sponsoring at this time.
Speaker 3: So funny. Her last name means moon like this.
Speaker 2: Anna Paulina Luna from the Sunshine State has sponsored the Sunshine Protection Act.
Speaker 3: I love the name. I think it's hilarious.
Speaker 2: You can't make this stuff up though, but threeh eight to one seventeen in the House, that's overwhelming.
Speaker 3: Overwhelming. They can't agree on anything. Everybody can agree we want to protect sunlight.
Speaker 2: And they call it the Sunshine Protection Act. It makes them sounding like their heroes or something.
Speaker 3: It's hilarious.
Speaker 2: Okay, So this would make what we have now, what we're sitting in daylight savery time, permanent throughout the country. Robes some I did joke about it, but there are some people who are asked for comment in Congress about this. They said, just say, we got better things to do. Like why are you asking me about I don't have an opinion? Like who cares? Why are we doing this in the middle of Iran war inflations?
Speaker 1: What it is?
Speaker 2: We got fights and stuff and we got all this going on, We got ice, we got robes.
Speaker 1: Why are we doing so?
Speaker 3: We have to protect the sunshine.
Speaker 1: I have to protect the sun so.
Speaker 3: I have guardians of sunlight.
Speaker 2: Okay, a little sarcastic there, but they have tried this year after year after year, but it's gone through this time.
Speaker 1: Robes.
Speaker 2: You mentioned the Senate though, Okay, it got proved in the House overwhelmingly. Word though about whether or not this could become law. It sounds like that was a pretty immediate pushback. It doesn't sound like this is actually gonna.
Speaker 3: Become well know, and it seems like it's a senator from your home state who's leading the way.
Speaker 1: You know what.
Speaker 2: As we continue with names and Senator of Margason named.
Speaker 3: Cotton, can't make it up.
Speaker 1: I didn't know we were gonna go this direction on the show.
Speaker 2: But yeah, Senator Tom Cott has already come out and said he is pleading with them not to even bring it up for a vote, and if it does, they'll try.
Speaker 1: To block it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it seems like the Senate Majority Leader John Thune is inclined not to bring it to the Senate floor, so they won't even vote on it.
Speaker 2: I salute you fellas. Go back a little bit, folks. This was actually one hundred years ago that we ended up here. It was called the Standard Time Act of nineteen eighteen. This was actually a wartime measure ropes. They were trying to save energy, They were trying to save coal and oil for heating homes, so they made the switch. It only lasted a year, so they re peeled it in nineteen nineteen. Move forward to nineteen sixty six with the Uniform Time Act of nineteen sixty six. That's when Congress gave themselves we have the power to change the time zones all across the country. That's when it goes into place. Now, we did this thing. Now in nineteen sixty six rope they made the system that we currently have, the bi annual change. But in nineteen seventy three they changed it to permanent daylight.
Speaker 3: Saving time the year of my birth. That makes a lot of sense. Maybe that's why I'm so passionate about it.
Speaker 1: They canceled it the next year. Wow, because it didn't work.
Speaker 3: Okay, So if we've already tried this and it didn't work, why have we not learned from that?
Speaker 2: Because people don't remember history. They remember when their kids were young and daylight saving coust hell, they remember changing their clocks. They remember all the annoyance annoying they have. Those are people all elections. It's personal people. This is personal for.
Speaker 3: People, and it affects everybody.
Speaker 1: It does, but it's very personal. People have their reasons.
Speaker 2: So they tried it in nineteen seventy three, they'd haven't yo the emergency daylight saving time energy Conservation Act.
Speaker 1: You like that one.
Speaker 3: It was about energy. It wasn't about annoyance. It was about conserving energy.
Speaker 2: It was because at the time there was a fueling crisis, so they wanted to conserve injury concern.
Speaker 1: What did you just say, angel energy?
Speaker 2: So one year later, Robes, you were born. Oh my goodness, you were born in daylight saving time.
Speaker 3: See that's what I said. It just comes to me naturally.
Speaker 2: It was year round at the time, year round daylight saving switched it back.
Speaker 1: Why would they switch it back in just a year, Robes, because people were pissed and it didn't work. It didn't work in one of the major arguments.
Speaker 2: And I'm curious to what you think about this, Robes, kids were going to school and pitch black darkness in some places in this country.
Speaker 3: Do you know what's funny? You asked me why if I recalled or if I remembered why people were against this, And I said, I thought it was because kids were going to the school bus stop in the dark. I must have remembered that from childhood, that that was a big conversation that people were upset about it. They didn't want their kids going to school in pitch black darkness, that it was unsafe.
Speaker 2: They also made arguments ro overy the time this is we'll get into some more of the safety issues, but as far as having cars out on the road, people driving in the mornings, rush out and whatnot, they have some evidence that they do believe led to more accidents. Now, nineteen seventy three year robes when they put this in place, seventy nine percent of Americans supported permanent daylight.
Speaker 3: Saving time overwhelming Wow.
Speaker 2: In March that dropped a forty two percent after people actually went through it.
Speaker 1: Hell, no, we don't like this, My goodness.
Speaker 2: Now, for whatever, I would be so curious to see how you felt in permanent daylight saving time to where you might go this. People overwhelmingly switched once they actually went.
Speaker 3: That's fascinating that once they actually got what they wanted, they didn't like it.
Speaker 2: So are you saying, now, are you still willing to try it? You want them to give it a shot?
Speaker 3: Well, now, I'm kind of afraid. Why was it so terrible that everyone just completely made a one eighty and they lived through it? Obviously I was one, so I have no memory of it. But that actually does give me pause. I would like to learn more about why people overwhelmingly wanted it and then overwhelmingly rejected it.
Speaker 2: It was a lot of parents, they cite parents. There was a New York Times article I look that from nineteen seventy four. Parents, parents were that upset. Now this is not the only thing that was going on, but robes if you are madgine, there's some place you talk about, New York. We're here, Our sunrise is at what time? Now it's or in the winter, it's a little before seven maybe.
Speaker 3: Yes, I actually don't know the exact date or exact time, but it seems reasonable. I think for me. The only thing that's shocking to me is how early the sun sets here in New York during the winter.
Speaker 2: Okay, but there are some places, a place like Cleveland, that is, that experiences later sunrises than a lot of places in the country far our west, in the Southwest, they get earlier sunrises. But ropes, what if kids in the winter are going to the bus stop pitch black darkness and the sun doesn't come up until nine nine thirty.
Speaker 3: That's tough.
Speaker 1: How does that feel?
Speaker 3: That's tough? And look, I know there are countries that deal with this certain parts of you know, Scotland and all of these northern European countries. They get like incredibly small windows of light and a lot of darkness, and that is overwhelming. But you're choosing to live there in that latitude, and you understand that that comes with the territory. But I do think, yeah, that is tough to have the sun not rise until nine am. I get that.
Speaker 1: No, that's a legit push back. I get that for us, though, Let's go eight eight thirty.
Speaker 2: Like Sabine goes to school Rope, she has to be in the school by seven fifty.
Speaker 1: I think it is.
Speaker 2: I get seven fifty to think for the next hour. She's in pitch black darkness. Kids going to school through the winter and every morning rush hour is in the dark as if it's nighttime. That feels a little weird and it might be a little dangerous. Oh that's the time you got more people out and more kids out walking the street.
Speaker 3: That's legit that I do understand that argument. And it is something where it sounds like a good idea until it's actually put into practice, and then you realize the reason why this system has been in place for as long as it has.
Speaker 2: So what do proponents say, well.
Speaker 1: A lot of them say robes.
Speaker 2: There is a safety issue here having to do with there's more light in the evening means less crime. If you take away two hours of darkness, an hour of darkness that's one or two hours, it fewer crimes are going to take place.
Speaker 1: Does that makes sense?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? Do that makes sense? Yes, when it's dark, yes, you might be more inclined to do something that you hope nobody will see.
Speaker 2: Also on the safety front, car accidents, but they focus on the afternoon and evening, the evening rush hour. There's more light in the evening, so you can have fewer car accidents as people are making their way home.
Speaker 1: Does that make sense?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? Get that.
Speaker 2: They throw out energy savings as well, and they also say there's more family time at the end of the day. There's more time for people to spend time together.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: People, I think when it gets dark, you wind down, you might go to bed early, you might just kind of go into your own private spaces because you feel like you're you're just it's cavernous, you're denning, you're kind of in your own space. I get that far. If it's light, you're out, you're active, you're participating you're more social.
Speaker 2: Okay, so all that makes sense. But here's what your opponents say, robes one. See, those are practical things in life. The opponents are talking about something else, long term health consequences. It's better for your natural body clock to not be on daylight saving time. You need more light to be awake and alert in the morning, baby, and you need more dark in the evening in order to fall asleep. Now, just you don't have to get too deep into sign.
Speaker 3: That all makes sense.
Speaker 1: That just makes it.
Speaker 3: But then, so was this what you were referencing at the beginning, That we're making the wrong argument there it is we should be advocating for standard time, not daylight saving time.
Speaker 2: We should first be arguing to get rid of the system we have, the bi annual switch.
Speaker 3: Should I think we can all agree to that the switch is what's annoying.
Speaker 2: That we need to But that's the thing. We're not in agreement about which direction to go, daylight saving time or standard time.
Speaker 3: I've never heard anybody make an argument to stay in standard time.
Speaker 2: Because we're not listening to scientists. We listen to the arguments on TV. We listen to the politicians. We listen to people get on and I'm not I'm not knocking before this, but most people it's personal.
Speaker 3: I've never heard anyone say we should stay on standard time the entire time, and obviously just the idea of daylight saving. Who doesn't want to save daylight sounds good, that sounds protection, that sounds good. Standard time won't.
Speaker 1: Won't camp has.
Speaker 3: A PR problem? Absolutely standard But I didn't even know you had a CAMP. I didn't know that was an option. It was always either switch or full time daylight saving. I've never heard the argument made to just stay on standard time.
Speaker 2: Baby, we're having We're all in agreement that the current system sucks. So which one should we go to? And yes, Roades, once you say it that way, who wants to go get anything? Yeah, just give me the standard.
Speaker 3: I want the saving, I want the sunshine protection. I don't want standard standards mine.
Speaker 1: Let's we'll just take a standard room.
Speaker 3: I want the executive suite.
Speaker 2: Okay, So, yes, we have a PR problem, Robes. This was a quote from run researcher. It puts us permanently out of sync with our natural environment. If you do daylight saving time, you are permanently putting yourself out of sync with nature and what your internal clock is doing. By doing so, we're gonna explain any even more. But Robes, you read that statement there from the Academy of Sleep Medicine, the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. I said, we're listening to the wrong people. There is a camp, and it's doctors who think we need to change.
Speaker 3: Their voices should be louder than is what I would say. But here is what the American Academy of Sleep Medicine had to say. An abundance of accumulated evidence indicates that the acute transition from standard time to daylight saving time incurs significant public health and safety risks, including increased risk of adverse cardiovascular events, mood disorders, and motor vehicle crashes. Although chronic effects of remaining in daylight saving time year round have not been well studied, daylight saving time is less aligned with human circadian biology.
Speaker 1: All right, here comes not pay close attention to this next.
Speaker 3: Part, which, due to the impacts of the delayed natural light dark cycle on human activity, could result in circadian misalignment, which has been associated in some studies with increased cardiovascular disease risk. Metabolic syndrome and other health risks. It is therefore the position of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine that these seasonal time changes should be abolished in favor of a fixed, national, year round standard time.
Speaker 1: That's the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. They do this.
Speaker 3: Has anyone put forth a bill asking that standard time become the noise permanent?
Speaker 2: Yes, they have, and it went nowhere. It's never gotten a vote. Actually, sweetheart, I don't think I have it in here. Even the title of it I think is boring.
Speaker 3: I think let's just all stay standard.
Speaker 1: It's it's I think it has a boring title.
Speaker 2: But yes, there's one that's not getting an attention, and it hasn't gotten a vote and certainly not gonna get pass. It does have a pr problem. Now roads the next thing here, Stanford Medicine. This is probably the most cited study, comprehensive study when it comes to this particular thing. And they looked at three scenarios that we're talking about. What happens to people if they're on permanent daylight saving time? What happens to people they're permanent standard time? What happens to people when they're doing the bi annual switch.
Speaker 3: How do they look at those scenarios if we haven't experienced them.
Speaker 2: They are studying people in those particular okay segments, So they're studying people and the and they did this so all. It wasn't just in the US, but they study why is he wearing glasses? Sorry, we're looking at something. I just got distracted. Like I always say about you chasing the laser, I saw something in that.
Speaker 1: What is that? Anyway back to the circadian rhythm? Where because the.
Speaker 2: Conclusion is clear the work, we are doing the worst out of.
Speaker 1: The three options. Wow, like do one or the other permanently? Don't switch?
Speaker 3: I agree, I'm actually so on board with that.
Speaker 1: And now here's a problem.
Speaker 2: Not the problem, but here this is where the science comes in and it makes it clear. They say in their study they can account for the switch. If you switch full time to standard time, you would have three hundred thousand fewer strokes in this country and two point six million people.
Speaker 1: Would not be obese. They're scientists from Stanford.
Speaker 2: Now, if you want me to break that down scientifically how the study was done, I don't have all that for you, but what I can tell you is that they noticed a drop off in people when they studied who stayed on standard time. Their bodies were more in line constantly with the rhythm of the earth the day, and in doing sol robes, it makes an impact on your health, a positive one because the lack of sleep, the lack of circadian rhythm we're talking about hearts here robes leads to very serious and adverse health PROCEM.
Speaker 1: Yes, and they have a number.
Speaker 3: I mean, that is remarkable, but I guess I can understand it from what little I know about. When you don't get enough sleep, when you're sleep deprived, when your sleep is messed up, you have higher cortisol levels and your body literally goes into starvation mode and starts just you have hung You're more hungry, you are storing fat because your body is protecting itself. And so I know that sleep issues absolutely lead to waking.
Speaker 2: Okay, so this is what you'll appreciate robes. They studied people who are on full time daylight saving, which is what you prefer.
Speaker 3: I think, I prefer, I thought, I prefer.
Speaker 2: You'll appreciate this. It had the same health impact, not as much, but by two thirds. It had the same impact with fewer strokes and fewer people obese, but only two thirds of the results, so it wasn't as impactful, but still impactful.
Speaker 1: The point being, get off what we're doing.
Speaker 3: That you're talking about saving lives and at least pretty significantly vastly improving the quality of life for a large number of people.
Speaker 2: So as you see headlines, you make robes, it does go to you're telling me we can improve health in this country. We've been fighting obese to left and right and not don't seem to be getting anywhere, you're telling me, So we.
Speaker 3: Get I love fascinating, but I love robes that we see these public debates and back and forth and quick little quips and clickbait robes.
Speaker 1: There's something to this story.
Speaker 2: That something as simple as changing the clock and keeping it the way it is can improve the health of literally millions of people.
Speaker 3: That is remarkable. We're just well, I guess this bill could help a little bit, but we're actually putting forth, or at least the House put forth the wrong bill.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, it helps some, it could, but and this is the next argument, This might be the thing that gets you to get on board with standard time. The body circadian rhythm. We understand generally what that means. You have a natural body clock, and it is twenty four hours. It adjusts to it. Just natural science, it happens. We have this circadian rhythm and a clock. It's a natural clock that regulates our body. It doesn't just regulate your sleep wake schedule. It regulates hormones, It regulates digestion, it regulates all kinds of stuff everything.
Speaker 3: It's obviously super important.
Speaker 2: There are twenty four hours in a day. Your circadian clock is twenty four hours and twelve minutes. Right, Okay, this messed me up, It really really did. I was trying to explain it as best I can. What doctors are saying here, Robes, is that you need help jump starting your clock, because soon as you start your day, you're.
Speaker 3: Behind twelve minutes behind.
Speaker 1: Your twelve minutes behind.
Speaker 3: That's where the snooze button's great.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: See when I'm dealing with folks, No, you're twelve minutes behind, which means Rope, you need help kickstarting your day.
Speaker 3: I'm just thinking I needed twelve more minutes of sleep, Christ, which is usually the bare minimum.
Speaker 2: But still when you wake up, you're still twelve minutes behind. You can hit twelve as much as you want, you're still behind in the day.
Speaker 1: So how do you catch up?
Speaker 2: Part of the way you catch up is that light hits you and it gets you going.
Speaker 3: When's the last time you woke up to sunlight?
Speaker 1: Sweetheart?
Speaker 2: Some of us are just freaks. Okay, some of us are just freaks of nature. And it's a mind thing for me.
Speaker 1: And you know this.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter how much sleep I got the night before. It's what do I have to do today?
Speaker 3: You wake up at three am, no matter what, and.
Speaker 1: I bounce up.
Speaker 2: I don't go sit for a second and drink some coffee. We got stuff to do.
Speaker 1: That's just me.
Speaker 3: I think everyone's feeling my pain nor Sunday morning, Saturday morning, I wake up alone.
Speaker 2: I hate when you describe your relationship with me as something being in pain. I knew as you were getting at but it still stings.
Speaker 1: A little bit.
Speaker 3: I love you, baby.
Speaker 2: But the circadian rhythm, you're twelve minutes behind. So let's say, Robes, you get up at the sun rises at seven, your body is still at about six forty five. The clock gets later, Robes, So what if it doesn't the sun doesn't rise until seven thirty, you're still behind. Doesn't rise until eight, you're still behind. You need that light. You need that thing to kick in and start you to get going. If you don't have that, robes is why you see people sometimes at work at ten o'clock, like, what the hell is wrong with you?
Speaker 1: And they're still grogging and dragging the clock is off. It's a re wow thing.
Speaker 2: So we are every single day waking up behind. We're behind schedule, and we're trying to catch up. And the later it is that it's dark, the longer it takes us to catch up.
Speaker 3: That makes absolutely makes sense. Makes I just don't understand why we haven't heard more from doctors and scientists. And I actually think if people are presented with all of this scientific evidence, it's kind of an easy call. Look, I actually am just for not having a switch. I don't like the switch. I've never liked it. It irritates me. I've never fully understood. I've heard all the reasonings from the school bus you know stops being dark, to this was made for farmers and so farm workers could have light when they were working in the fields. I've heard all of it, but I just felt like in present day, none of it really made sense, and so I appreciate this, and I could absolutely get behind keeping it to standard time. I just I'm against the switch.
Speaker 2: Isn't this Isn't this go in line with how we always sometimes we miss the point in public debate and in conversations rose because we needed to be in click baity form, in short, social media digestion.
Speaker 3: Form, and we lead with emotion, yes, and personal.
Speaker 2: It's personal people, and it's hard to get somebody around what I'm just saying ropes. It took us thirty minutes here to explain, to go through it all, to have a conversation about it, and most people just see a headline they're getting rid of daylight or getting rid of the switch.
Speaker 1: Awesome. I hate having to switch to my clox. That sucks. I want more light at night, and yeah, I love that.
Speaker 2: And then when December comes around and you're living in Atlanta and it's nine point fifteen in the morning and it's still dark, you go, what the actual hell is happening? Why do I feel like this right? It's not until you go through it. So maybe we do need to go through the exercise, But I'd hate for us to go through the exercise ropes and go to permanent daylight saving time, and they go, oh, we messed up. It should have been permanent day permanent standard time, and then have to switch back to that.
Speaker 3: But then if we switch back to that and then we just stayed there, I'd be cool with that.
Speaker 1: That'd be a tough transition.
Speaker 3: One time, they one time, and then we don't have to switch again, whatever it takes. I'm just against the switch.
Speaker 2: Last thing I'll give you here is just the polling where we are Gallop last year Gallup polling, fifty four percent are in favor of specifically permanent daylight.
Speaker 3: Saving Okay, I mean that reads that's a.
Speaker 1: Little closer than I.
Speaker 3: Not overwhelming compared to what it was in nineteen seventy three. You're right, that is not as big of a push publicly. Which is so interesting to me that Congress was so quick to or at least the House, not Congress, but the House was so quick to pass it so overwhelmingly so when their constituents aren't necessarily overwhelmingly behind.
Speaker 2: Why this is why, now, young ladies from Florida, I said the young lady, the congresswoman's from Florida, and they have issues there with I mean, she's looking at for her constituents when it comes to I mean tourism, people.
Speaker 1: Being down there, hanging out, being outside all the time. That kind of makes us make it. I can see that it might not.
Speaker 2: Work for everybody, but only forty percent Robes were against that, fifty four to forty percent. I just wanted to throw this in there for shits and giggles. Democrats versus Republicans. I don't know what that is.
Speaker 3: That's weird.
Speaker 1: It's weird, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Forty four percent of Democrats are in favor of permanent daylight saving time. Only thirty four percent of Republicans are. That's bizarre. I wouldn't think that would split along party lines. But okay, and then this is interesting. Fifty three percent of lower income Americans are for keeping it permanent, thirty five percent of middle income Americans are for keeping it, and thirty three percent of higher income So that's I don't understand that.
Speaker 1: Either, I don't know, Robes.
Speaker 2: This was I was kind of almost dismissive of this, or roll my eyes or when you start looking into it, Robes, there's so much that's in a headline or in that clickbaity headline or something on social media. There is more there, and this is important. It's just too bad the conversation around it doesn't make it sound important.
Speaker 1: It just everybody said, yeah, me, even the president, this is ridiculous. Only a fool with.
Speaker 3: It like this against sunshine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's dismissive of a significant policy debate that could actually impact every single American but certainly impact millions of Americans health.
Speaker 1: We should talk about a little more seriously.
Speaker 3: Then, I agree, we do. I agree.
Speaker 2: Where are you now that we've Now that we've gone through the conversation, where are you on daylight.
Speaker 3: I'm fine if it's daylight saving time or if it's standard time, just end the switch.
Speaker 2: Okay, for your for the sake of your relationship. What do you think would work better?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: You want the sun to rise later?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: It doesn't I'm up at three, It doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: We get up before the sunrise, no matter what, whether it's daylight saving or standard time, we're up before the sunrise.
Speaker 2: Well, however, you all do it, which camp you're in, just please when you do have the conversation just know there is more to it than just setting some clocks, hitting us anooze button, and dropping the kids off at the bus stop. There is a lot more to this, So I thought it was a fun one able to talk about this.
Speaker 1: In a way on.
Speaker 2: A way to talk about this now, Robes. I am so appreciative that we have where we are. We can have conversations a lot differently than we did.
Speaker 3: Yes, we can actually put in some perspective and some careful opinion just based on experience. But I think it's something that resonates with everyone because we've all we all experienced the impact and the effects of that switch. So we'll see what the Senate does, but it's probably not going anywhere, So get ready November first, going back to standard time, everybody.
Speaker 1: We'll see what happens. Sorry, appreciate Joel as always, See you soon, see soon, see soon, see you soon. I said, see you soon. Yeah, okay, Sorry, see y'all. Not get enough sleep the kitchen na k