Speaker 1: And welcome into another episode of Tiger Territory, part of the Foul Territory Network Detroit Tiger's podcast. I'm Karen Steckley with me in his old ways as a man who would never be pulled for a pinch runner, but if he did, he would leave the field gracefully.
Speaker 2: He is Cody Stavenhagen. How we doing.
Speaker 3: I'd be pretty pissed if I got pulled for a pinch runner, but.
Speaker 1: But you wouldn't make a stick about it on the field in front of cameras.
Speaker 2: And so I might, I might, I don't know, I might maybe? Okay?
Speaker 1: Well about Cody every day he closer to Rafael Devers, And I initially thought, all right, we are recording this a couple of hours after a four or three loss by the Tigers to the New York Yankees. That, of course is after Monday, a five to three win over said New York Yankees. And and you know, like this was this was a game tonight, Cody that I you know, I couldn't really like prep for much in advance, because it's like the mood was gonna be dictated a lot by the result. And honestly, that's kind of where the Tigers are at in general. Where whereas when May was so bad, we say this all the time. May was so bad, it's so cool to say, like, oh, yeah, you know, best record in June, you know, and all these things and all these things are kind of lining up, and then there's a game like today that you feel like you should win. You certainly could have won. Had a couple of things gone differently, you would have won it. But it's still is it still was a game that was very much reminiscent of the culture of the Tigers that for the most part, has resulted in more success than failure over the past couple of years. So again, it's kind of hard to dive into, like what the first the I guess the A one of this game, but maybe the A one of this game, speaking of base running, is is Joey Korra Joey Korra sending Riley Green in the fourth inning? Uh on a base hit by how you lee who by the way, you know, springing a couple things together. And if you guys are watching on YouTube, we have a great screen grab from Cody Uh that kind of illustrates really what's what's what makes this a little bit tough to talk about. I think tougher than I think people are giving it credit for him. We'll get into that. Cody Bellinger fields this ball as cleanly as possibly you could possibly field this ball, and it's straight at him, no no veering to the left or to the right, really and throws Raley Green out comfortably.
Speaker 2: I think is a good way to put it there, Cody.
Speaker 1: And it was a really aggressive send. It was a send, I'll be honest with you. It was a send that at the time I was like, not gonna work out, and then you see the screen grab and you and you could really like Monday morning quarterback saying that had no chance, no chance at all. By At the same time, I try, and I think people who have listened to us for the past couple of years to try. I try not to be like really prison of the moment with the sins. I try to look at from the macro perspective, and I think, if this is what you do, then you have to keep doing it, and you're gonna have to live with leading Major League Baseball and runners thrown out at home that started at second base, which I believe at according to Tiger's data, is the case for the Tigers. So is it as outrageous as it's being perceived right now or is there some sort of middling ground to be had by this decision?
Speaker 3: Oh, I think we're going to our threading the needle segment right off the bat, because you just look at the screen grab, Riley Green is like, I'm not sure he's even three quarters the way to third base when Cody Bellinger fields this ball. Cody Bellinger brings the ninety first percent island arm strength, sending Riley Green right there seems rather reckless. And again, we've been talking about this for years now. The Tigers are aggressive, They're gonna run us in some outs. I still like to think there's got to be some line between aggressive and just overly aggressive, neckless stupid, and I think this one falls on the other side of that line. I think it's pretty hard to look at this screen grab and say otherwise. But some nice perspective from our friend Eddie Badgiic on Twitter. He ran some numbers based on win expectancy. I've done some stuff like this before based on like run expectancy. I don't necessarily expect anyone to understand this. If you're if you're not into such analytics. But basically what Eddie discovered is that there there was like a minimal difference here. There were two outs. Zach McKinstry's coming up against Carlos rodon Your your chances of scoring if Riley Green stays put at third really aren't great. You're it's great if he's safe and you score, that's a pretty good boost to your odds of winning. And then basically the way Eddie crunches it down is like the break even point was eight percent. Is there an eight percent chance that Cody Beunger's throw is off line or that really that Riley Green is safe? I would argue his throw was a little bit offline. It was toward the first baseline. Aj Hn jeffter Game said the throw was on the money. I, you know, whatever, we can disagree on that it wasn't a perfect throw, and Riley Green was still out by a good bit. I look at this and it's like, Okay, is there any chance Riley Green is safe eight percent of the time here? That is a pretty low bar. I think if you run this play ten times, he might be out on nine of them. But you said it earlier here all right, Well, you run it one hundred times, you know, is there enough variants? Are there enough bad throws? These safe eight times? And does that make such a sind worth it? In a two out spot where you're at the bottom of your order, you don't feel good about that run being driven in. And I think that's part of the calculus here, part of why the Tigers are so aggressive. They are at least putting pressure on the other team to make a play. At the same time, I think the overarching point here is that, like the odds of scoring one way or another just aren't very high here. So people get emotional about it because it looks terrible. Rightfully so, because it's an out at the plate it ends up being a one run game that kind of incites some outrage. And if you really want to zoom all the way out thirty thousand feet, look at run expects and z and one expectancy. There are chances of scoring in that situation just weren't good no matter what. So maybe it's not the worst thing to make force the opponent to make a play. I would argue that if it looks like your runner is going to be a dead duck by several feet, you should just still hold them at third and see what happens. Trust your guy see if he can see if he can sneak it somewhere or so that's what I got for you.
Speaker 1: Sure, And you know it's again we use this analogy all the time. And you know, is it a you gotta hit on sixteen type deal? And you know, typically those odds on hit on sixteen are better than what you just laid out there with the with the Riley Green situation, So I understand that. But at the same time, uh, again, if you want to go thirty thousand feet like this, send is probably not done. If McKinstry is last year's McKinstry, you know, especially against lefties, like like like there's there's a whole and you know, to his credit, like he has put together some better swings and we'll touch on that here in a second. But it just I you are playing the New York Yankees. You are trying to claw every single win that you can, and like sometimes recklessness is kind of needed and warranted by situation.
Speaker 2: Now again, if if mcgonagall's.
Speaker 1: On deck, if if you know, I know, it's Ryan Green running, But if Riley Green's on deck, you know, the guys that you really trust. Hell, even like Kerry Carpenter, you know, had there not been a lefty on the mount, blah blah blah, like I probably would feel differently. But Zach McKinstry has struggled to hit the ball this year overall. And Riley Green, while not looking graceful, is at least like a smart baseball player and can run it well.
Speaker 2: You see what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: They're not necessarily with the speed, but just like you know, can run it well as you know, instinctually, And and he had no hesitation there.
Speaker 2: He was aware of the situation as well.
Speaker 1: And so like, if you just want to say it was a bad call, I'm not going to disagree with you. But if you want to make it this overarching, like this is why the Tigers are, you know, not winning these like one run games, I would argue that you're putting yourself in worse situations to lose the one run games. Then necessarily the fact that, like you know, these particular plays are costing you, if that makes sense, Like you only get to this point if Zach McKinstry is struggling at the play, you know, you only get to this point, if you're only score, if you're you know, not being able to you know, get runs across against you know, a good lefty like Rondon and and so you kind of have to have this game plan. And if you have the game plan, you have to stick with it and you know, correct the Bellinger correct wells, you know. And also the fact that there are two outs. I know Aj was asked about it afterward. I don't think he was committal about whether two outs really like played a part in that, but uh uh to.
Speaker 2: Me, it does. To me, it does because even if even.
Speaker 3: Think it plays like that in the past, based on the two out thing, I think he's just We've asked about a million of these plays over the years. I think he just kind of is now giving stock answers, which is honestly fine. He's never gonna come out and throw Joey Kuurr under the bus. That's just not gonna happen. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And you know, even if you like are wanting to be a little bit more positive about McKinstry of late, one would argue maybe it's better than it for him to start out and ending Uh then uh, you know, at the bottom of the order, set at the top of the order, then then you know have a runner.
Speaker 2: On with with with with two outs there.
Speaker 1: So people are probably gonna say that that was a little bit too calm, but for from for from us Cody, But that's just kind of how I feel.
Speaker 3: Well, that's that's just the truth. I don't blame fans for getting angry or emotional when you watch something like that. That's why we do try to point out, like, what are you know, what was the actual maths say here, And it's probably not equivalent to like the emotional reaction that comes, And that's just is what it is. I still think it's part of a larger point though, that the Tigers aren't as good of a base running team as they were a year ago. All the little things, the little things they're costing them in one run games. We saw it again tonight, like they did have two outs on the bases. Ben mal Jerry, who had a nice major league debut, still got doubled up on a ball that he probably shouldn't have been so far off first base. On the Tigers have actually ran the bases a little bit better the last week or so, up to sixteenth in base running runs above average at zero point four, so they were in the negative. They were in the red in terms of running the bases for the majority of this season. They have been a little bit better as of late, but they were the number two base running team in all of the league last year. Believe it or not. They're not leading the league and outs outs on the bases anymore, but they're still pretty high up there. They're totally inept when it comes to stealing bases. It's actually crazy. They don't steal a lot third lease in the league. That's kind of been the case for most of the aj Hinch era. But part of that right is being smart not wasting outs. Well, they still waste outs. They have the third lowest success rate when they do try to steal, sixty nine percent, so that's costing them. Some of the dumb mistakes are costing them. Not scoring when yeah, a guy's coming from second, it's dinged kind of their run value. And beyond this particular play like that is something this team is still combating. As we talked about, are they getting their identity back? Are they playing better baseball? They're playing a lot better baseball. Like start off on kind of a negative note here, but like things have been much improved so far this month, and that's great, but some of the little things of the margins, like can still be tuned a little bit. They take extra bases at the top of the league, but overall they're just not as good of a base running team as they were one year ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and again I would have probably add to like I feel like over the past I don't know, three or four weeks, there have been less there has been less aggressiveness, like, less recklessness, certainly on the bass pass. Like there's been a several plays where I'm thinking, oh, you know this, this would be a touchy first the third and they haven't even tried it.
Speaker 2: So maybe that's one of those.
Speaker 1: Maybe this what makes a play like this stick out even a little bit more. All Right, we are going to take a quick break and then after we'd we're gonna get to get Casey Mice speaking of things and how they feel and what the end result is. Casey Mice had one of those outings today. But first a word from our sponsors.
Speaker 4: You know why you're enjoying this minute because we're happy, Krats. We're happy because we're wearing mac welding.
Speaker 5: Yes, I'm six foot five and nobody can give me tall clothing, but mack Weldon allows me to have it, so I don't really have to care about how I look, and I still look good Because I don't put a lot of time into what I do to pick out my clothes. Mac Weldon takes care of it for me.
Speaker 4: Classic always in style made from the world's most comfortable performance materials. Summer gets sweaty, don't let unnecessary sweat spots emerge. Mac Weldon's air Knit X fabric helps you out. Their lightest fabric is fused with nylon mesh for maximum airflow. Skip the midday wardrobe changes. The barely there feel also keeps you feeling more dry and fresh. Don't sweat the heat this summer feel as effortlessly cool.
Speaker 6: As you look.
Speaker 4: With mack Weldon. Go to Mackweldon dot com and get twenty percent off your first order of one hundred and twenty five bucks or more with promo code foul. That's m A C K W E L d O N dot com code f.
Speaker 3: O U L.
Speaker 2: All right, coming back here. You know Casey Mize.
Speaker 1: And and I believe it was you askeding the question about this in the in the in the clubhouse after the game. You know, there was so much to love about Casey Mice today. I was like prepared to say things that would have been definitely a prisoner of the moment about Casey mees. He really three quarters of the way through his outing, he ends up five point two. He gets tagged with the four runs, six k's, one one walk, and I thought, like, you know, credit to Dingler two in the in the in the approach and the coach of staffanos up.
Speaker 2: The sequencing was amazing.
Speaker 1: I thought the tunnel, the tunneling of the split and the slider combined with the fastball that had I would say above average below for Casey Mice today was excellent. You know, didn't you know, didn't nobody on the Tigers today allowed a runner, allowed to hit with a runner in scoring position. Yet they still end up losing. And again like one of those outings that was way better than five point two and four or earned runs. Cody, like I thought, I was thoroughly impressed. He misses a call third by zero point four inches against Jazz and then hangs I don't even say it was hanging slider. It was just a little bit too much in the in the play and writing kind of in this in the sweet spot for a guy like Jazz, and you know that, you know, talk about one runs. That's two run home run. That makes a difference in a one one run game. So what do you what do you make of Casey today? Oh?
Speaker 3: I mean, Casey Miyes was was stellar, no doubt. Interesting, Like, yeah, a few things go differently, right, There was an infield hit against them there that Jazz chishumball had a thirty seven degree launch angle in April. I don't think that's leaving k America Park on several days, just depending on the weather and the temperature and the air pressure, that thing might not leave k America Park. But he did hit hard, it just kept carrying. It's hard because yeah, I had asked Casey. You know, Casey Mice, our favorite pessimist here, was not happy after the game, not happy with the loss, and he was pleased with his stuff. But I kind of asked, like, is it harder to feel good a game like that, given the importance of every win? And you know, he said, yes, you know, that's exactly it. And that's kind of where we're at. If you want to shine on the bright side here. If the Tigers doing up deadline sellers, it's not just Terrek Scuble who's going to be pretty in demand. Casey Mii is probably gonna be a top five, if not higher, starting pitcher available at the trade deadline based on what he has done this year. If he continues to pitch like this, I mean, this is a guy everyone should want on their team and a guy that, you know, even though he doesn't have the track record of Tarek Scuble, and even though injuries have been a concern, could certainly net you a pretty good prospect. The hope, obviously, is to avoid a trade deadline sell off and to keep Casey Mice and Terrek Skuble and feel terrific about your rotation going into the postseason. We can talk a little bit more about that, but I think the big point is just man, Casey Mies is stuff. It has not been this good, this consistently at any other point in his career. He's had two il stints and the stuff has stayed terrific. And that's I mean that that's a good thing for everyone involved here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like when I was thinking about the the mis, you know, trade decision should it come to that or whatever, like the I like, my prediction would be again, you know, be nice to not have to get to this point, but my prediction would be that in all the you know, the athletic ESPN, MLB dot com, like all the post trade deadline articles and grades and all this stuff, would be like, you know, underratedly like the Casey mis wind up being like the best addition at this trade deadline, or Casey Mys like might be like sneakily like maybe someone who's not as locked in, I say, did they overpay for Casey My's Like that's like like those are the kinds of things because I think it's like he was an All Star last year, but after the All Star break, you know, obviously he you know, he was not nearly as effective. I mean, I think Casey My still has like some people who aren't realizing how good he really is and what the what he's doing now with that new kind of what do we call it, the the straight slider, you know, as opposed to the looping slider. You know that that he works in there.
Speaker 2: So like, I I think if you're one of.
Speaker 1: Those people that wants Tarrek schooble to pitch well so you can get a better return. You must have been out of your mind excited tonight that case Mys look good so that you can get a better return for Casey my should uh you know when the Tigers inevitably trade him, right, that's the that's the mentality that you have.
Speaker 2: But but yeah, I thought he was good.
Speaker 1: I thought he like he he was recognizing the moment even like during the game, like you gotta pop out in the second ending, and he was like mad at himself, like he was, you know, almost kind of carrying with him a little bit of like a like a tearch schoobl as close as Casey Mice can get to a tear school intensity. Like I thought we were seeing that from Casey myes in this game. And I mean that obviously in a in a in a good way, like he was mad at himself even when he was great. And then, of course, you know, like I said, the Jazz play, you know, just kind of didn't.
Speaker 3: Go his way, Casey said. Casey. Someone asked him if he thought that jazz chism review was initially a strike, and he's said, I just always assume it's going to go against me that way, I like, don't get upset, and if it does go in my favor, I'm happy.
Speaker 1: I thought watching alive, Watching alive, I did think it was gonna be one of those plays that like nick the corner like or one of those balls like it. They ended up even though it was obviously really close, ended up being like farther away from the strike zone then I initially thought, because I just thought it would you know, the tunnel there would have been there. But you know, like I said, credit the jazz and credit I thought was a good challenge by Dingler obviously, even though it did not succeed real quick Cody, let's let's acknowledge Ben Maljerry.
Speaker 2: Major league debut. Two hits, one pitch, one hit, you.
Speaker 1: Know, can't chalk it up any better than that. Obviously scored a run there too. Really cool, really cool. We're we're gonna got a lot of CBA talks in the offseason, obviously, but this Ben Maljerry thing is one of those things that could potentially is will already has like gone away, someone that just like is just kind of given a chance and he rises up the ranks, you know, and he's drafted in what the eighteenth round and twenty twenty twenty, only twenty six years old. And uh, and he gets he gets his moment in a really cool moment with his family there as well. And then in relation to the actual baseball part of this, the Tigers opting to option Trey Cruz after only a couple of games in the majors and and bring up Ben there. I get, you know, obviously, just a bunch of lefties here coming up. But what do you think seeing, you know, seeing the moment there from from Ben?
Speaker 3: Yeah, a few things here. Number one, the story of how he found out was really cool. They were playing the minor league game in Wooster so out in New England. That's kind of where his family's from. He has all his family at the hotel. Gary Jones just comes down for the smile on his face and gives him the news. So he finds out, the family finds out all at once. There were no phones involved in this call up, so that was a cool moment. Obviously, he comes out, gets two hits on his first day. I can't ask for much more than that, I think. Obviously, there have been a lot of people wanting to see Ben Maljerry for a while now, and of course when we finally see him, it's not to replace Jami Jones, it's to replace Trey Cruz after what three four days in the major leagues. If you think just because aj Hinch let Col Keith it against a lefty, that the Tigers aren't still all in on matchups, you are mistaken. They swapped out Cruise for mal Jerry basically just just because they're facing left handed starters in two consecutive days. They're gonna see the Yankees again next week in New York, so we will see how along this last. But they wanted another right handed bat in there, even though Tray cruis a switch hitter, is right handed swing weaker than the left handed swing, so they wanted mal Jerry's right handed bat. I think it'll be pretty fascinating to see how long they roll with this. You could argue they should swap them out for the Houston series. Houston, they're gonna face I think all right handed starters. There are a couple good lefties in that pin. But I think the fact you see the Yankees again on the other side might bode well for mal Jerry getting a little bit of a longer look here and for those still begging for Jami Jones to be off the roster, it arguably does set up a showdown or get the wheels in motion for the end of that because if you do decide to bring a Trey Cruz or a left handed hitter up, you could have to choose between Jami and Ben mal Jerry. Maljerry probably better in the field, or when glabers were as is activated, you're gonna have to choose between how you lead Jami Jones and Ben mal Jerry. They're suddenly kind of more of those right handed bat options. And yes, Mile Jerry, eighteenth round pick, guy who has really earned his way, hit his way to this spot. I'm not sure what to expect of him in the major leagues. I think the hit tool is okay. Is it really like a carrying tool? Maybe not. But he's solid in the field. Can you even play a little center if you had to? You know, probably a little bit of a fringy guy, but you just you just never know, especially look at how he's hit the past two years in the minor leagues. Carry Carpenter a great example of of sometimes these things that just feel cool but fizzle out like sometimes they can be for real.
Speaker 1: Yeah, any and we'll reserve judgment about what's for real or whatever. You know, just you know, tonight awesome moment for for him and and his family. So yeah, wanted to wanted to give him a shout out there and you know, forever it's worth, don't know how good he'll be. Look pretty comfortable, so you know what, chock chock chalk that uh in the positive element there and yeah, maybe it's maybe it's a case we're athletically you just kind of have to carry them.
Speaker 2: Longer than, you know, than you otherwise would. So we'll see about that. All right.
Speaker 1: We are going to take a quick break and then afterward we're gonna we're going to decipher are we buying with the Tigers?
Speaker 2: Are selling us right now? But first we're from our sponsors.
Speaker 6: This episode is brought to you by FanDuel Baseball Fans. The MLB season is in full swing and FanDuel is giving you a chance to call your shot with daily Dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet. For a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why FanDuel is the home of home runs. So are you ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com slash podcast. To opt in for daily dingers, make your free pick on who's hitting a homer playball Swing for the Fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball. No purchase necessary, opt in required, bonus issue does non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem caller tax one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 1: All right, coming back here, you know, Cody, I jotted down some things that I've just kind of been occurring this month for the Tigers, and it's an incomplete list. It was just kind of stuff off the top of my head, and I wanted to do it as an exercise to just kind of figure out, like is this enough to you know, kind of buy into the belief we're gonna keep using the puns as long as possible here. And so here's just some stuff, you know, we didn't talk about Fromber might be the ultimate. I don't know if we've had a guy on this podcast before, Cody that was the ultimate doesn't feel all right but actually is all right. That's kind of the Fromber things. I've a little side tangent here. If you want to be entertained, don't be on Twitter during a Fromber start and then go on Twitter afterward and just kind of see all the cycling of the old tweets about people being outraged about you know, not holding the runner at first and you know, walking the guy with two outs and like all these things, and it's like like just like ultimate, just like rage, instant rage reactions, and then compare it to what the end result was, which was six six innings, four hits in one.
Speaker 2: Run, and it's like, well, yeah, it seems all right. There are times did really feel all right. But that's that's.
Speaker 1: That's the Fromber experience so far. So I encourage people to do that.
Speaker 2: Next time. The school will call out.
Speaker 1: We talked about this last time, school kind of calling out the stakes here Torque. I know he was over for today, but he had you know, some really big hits over the over the over the weekend, a little bit of a surge there. Maybe we know that's in there, mis you know, kind of pitching like a one to one. We just discussed that. Dylan Dingler once again always delivering. Uh, why this man does not have some sort of parcel service sponsorship in Detroit? Dinger Dingler delivers. That's a free that's a free one out there for you guys. McKinstry, like I said, kind of getting back to a little bit of the line drive outlook for him. The call ups Lee included, you know, not kind of being overwhelmed by the moment, you know, tech school being tech school, not just to call out. And the back end of the bullpen quietly well best you know, Finnegan today and obviously Janssen over the weekend as well, kind of shaping out, Drew Anderson shaping out a little bit more as designed, and you know that's obviously missing things like just Riley Green being Riley Green, some of the upside of carry Carpenter's bat. What Colt Keith can do like all these things? Right, is this formula to say, like can the It's like two questions, can the Tigers be good? With all these things that we're seeing in the month of June like good like the rest of the season. I think the answer is I'm pretty confident yes, is that good enough? And that's what we just don't know yet, But I do feel good enough to say that I am still butt into the belief that, like it is possible. So that's kind of where I stand on all of this. Like when I got to list those things off, like you know, and you know, and proposition you that way, what kind of comes to mind.
Speaker 3: That's a lot. I guess what comes to mind is what we've been talking about for a few weeks now, Like things are going better, playing a lot better. The brand of baseball has started to look better. The pitching has been close to dominant, which is what this team is kind of always built to thrive on. I think of all those things you mentioned, Will vest starting to look like Will Vestigan might be the biggest. So I've said, like the bullpen is probably still what concerns me the most. You need Will vest to be able to be a lockdown guy for you, and last few times out he's looked a lot more like that. And another guy who has that emotion, that edge that's good for the entire team. I think despite all that, there's still eleven games under five hundred, and they still have a long way to go. Like, I think it's just going to be chipping away at this thing. And again, there may be no more fascinating team than the Tigers right now, because like, they just won't quite die. Everyone had assumed they were sellers, of breaking my own rule of talking about the trade deadline before July first, largely because our boss is here. One is talking about the trade deadline. So, like, I don't think it's a sure thing that the Tigers are going to be sellers. Their playoff odds at the time we're recording this twenty four point four percent. Not great, but better than you would think given that their record, and you know what, yeah, you know what I think has become the most interesting development. They're odds of winning the Al Central are up to fifteen point five percent. The Cleveland Guardians are disintegrating and they're hurt, and they don't have Jose Ramirez and they just swept the White Sox. I respect what the White Sox are doing this year, but one way to think about the Tigers, like, do you think they're better than the White Sox? Do you think they'll finish with more wins than the White Sox. I've kind of been asking myself that this whole year, and I almost still want to say yes. I don't know what that means in terms of the ultimate playoff picture. And again, so much of this is depending on like can they do enough to be within convincing striking distance before August third? That's like what really alters this whole picture. And there's just no way to answer that. You have to play the games, you have to play the schedule. For all the minutes and hours we've spent on this, for all the kind of angry negative podcast we've had, I've never said this season is over and this is kind of whys are healthy playing a little more like themselves? I mean, the American League is just bad. Like how many teams that they're what four teams with a winning record? Like how many of them are objectively better than the Tigers? You can maybe say the Yankees. So I don't know if there's another one that really jumps to minds like, oh, their way, they'll.
Speaker 2: Feel better than the times themselves.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, that's that's the thing. And it's kind of crazy. We're saying about that. That about a team that is eleven games over five under five hundred and it has had a pretty disastrous season, But that's where we're at. They're they're playing better ball. You just have to keep going. Anytime you lose a series, it really stings. We know that we've already experienced that. I think this conversation like it sounds like a broken record. That's it's gonna be a broken record for for another month and some change.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it kind of feels like a.
Speaker 1: It feels like a basketball game where you know that, like you know, he gets some get some threes to fall and you're, you know whatever. Midway through the second quarter and you're down whatever. Much like in modern basketball, no lead is ever really safe. In this American league, no deficit really means all that much. I mean, and and unfortunately, obviously I don't mean this in a humorous way. Unfortunately, Cole Reagan's he's gonna have surgery. So that's a that's a that hurts, you know, other competition for for a playoff spot obviously, So like, yeah, I mean, there's there's The Tigers have every reason to be optimistic based on everything around them. Uh again, will they get to that point? Will the bad luck continue? There's a lot of metrics out there that suggest that, like the Tigers have been one of the more unlucky teams this year, and and and that's just you know, that's the game so well. Actually part of that we should get to is, you know, the bad luck is obviously part of the injuries. And you know, we were you know, talking about Ben and how much of the state you know, staying power will he have and and then Hayu Lee, who you know, want to give him credit as you know, strung together. Uh, you know some hits here recently, it kind of feels like Cody like the they're if you're holding on to hope for the Tigers, it's not going to be revolving around Parker Metals coming back and giving you a spark, or like Labor Torres being.
Speaker 2: Just around the corner.
Speaker 1: Or again, I know he hadn't been having a great year, but Wentzel Perez and what he could offer you kind of being right there even I don't know we have a real Jackson job update, but you know, like those kind of things like it almost kind of feels like this core that we've experienced might be mostly the.
Speaker 2: Core here, give or take.
Speaker 1: Obviously some some roster variance we have, you know, Hobby still dealing with the ankle injury, so like you know, some of those things.
Speaker 2: It just kind of feels like this might be.
Speaker 1: The this might be the group, This might be the foxhol guys here for the most part.
Speaker 2: And how are you feel that way? Is? How are you feel that way?
Speaker 1: But not a lot of great injury updates other than I guess Jack Flaherty today, you know, pitching in a rehab stout, and not a lot of great injury updates right now for the Tigers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jack Flaherty did have a nice rehab start. I wouldn't be surprised if that's a one and done and he is back in the big leagues. We'll see. And then that creates a familiar conversation. Are the Tigers going to go to a six man rotation? Where's cater Montero again going to get bumped to the bullpen? I think maybe at least this next time through, given you're playing what fourteen games in fourteen days, there's a chance we could see a six man and then a regroup. But every time we've had this conversation before someone else gets hurt. So let's hope for the Tiger's sake that does not happen. I think the Parker Meadows one was interesting. He had been kind of a forgotten man, broke his arm. No one was expecting him back, you know, anytime before. Certainly the All Star break probably the t a deadline. But it seems like the Tigers have left the door open that he could return this year, which, given they haven't really found a good alternative in center field, his defense alone, you know, you start thinking, okay, what if they can hang on, what if they don't have to sell? Then you get Parker Meadow's back roman center field. I don't know, aj Hinch said, the bone shattered. It's not healing like a simple break. I say shattered as a non doctor, I don't know if that's the actual term. But he went on to say it's been slow and there there's not much we can do until he gets through all his rehabs. So still nothing conclusive. Well, if he could be back this season, but the update didn't sound optimistic about about the prognosis Glabor will be back in you know, I would assume not too far from now, but aj did say it's going to be a slow ramp. He's still not doing baseball activity, so clearly they're trying to be careful with this one. And then Winsle. Yeah, I mean we talked about that injury. Scary injury. He fractured his orbital bone. He's not even coming to the field right now. Seems like he's still dealing with a ton of swelling, like I don't know if he's can be exposed like sunlight right now. Very scary injury. I don't know how long that's going to keep him out, But fractured orbital the bone, that that will keep you out a while. So you're right, some of those some of those faces like probably aren't coming as reinforcements, you know, anytime soon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which you know creates Unfortunately, injuries create opportunities for others. So like you know, Hayli, if you want to kind of establish yourself as someone who has to be taken seriously as a big leaguer, like this is you know a little bit of opportunity for you, you know, mil Jerry, Like, if there's going to be opportunities either this year or in the future for some right handed bat in this outfield to be present, I guess, and so like this is for real, Maybe this is for real. These are the opportunities there created, and so yeah, I mean, it's there are a lot of things that we talked about tonight that can be considered comforting thoughts.
Speaker 2: Some of that stuff that we just went into not the most comforting. So maybe we did. Did we thread the needle tonight, Cody, did we thread the needle?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean I think so. It's it's kind of crazy in that night tonight. I'm still not sure that Tigers are a super interesting team to watch, But in terms of like the big picture, I don't know if there's a more interesting team in baseball in the lead up to the trade deadline, given they have schoobl given they played terrible, and now they've been one of the best teams in baseball in June, Like this is this is just a fascinating circumstance. It's been kind of a soap opera all season long and a variety of ways, and we may just be getting started.
Speaker 1: I can't remember a season where the hype on social media before July was hey, only six and a half back, and it was like serious you know, like yeah, like it was like serious, like, hey, only six and a half back of the wildcard, you know, or you know, only this many games back of the division.
Speaker 3: You think about six and a half is still a lot, but six and a half is not that far from being like four and a half, which suddenly just feels a.
Speaker 2: Lot more manageable.
Speaker 3: But then if you lose a series, you're just back where you started. And that's I guess that's part of why this is so interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean again, just the it's the ultimate thrill of victory and agony of the feet that might be the twenty twenty six Tigers and will be here the entire way. I want to thank everybody for following us on x FO, Twitter, Ech, hoy stave in Haagen, I'm at Kieran on to score, Steckley pot page at Tiger Territory, Underscore, YouTube apples, Spotify, subscribe, rate, review, you guys know what to do. We appreciate all of you. So for coy stave in Haagen, I'm Kieran Steckley.
Speaker 2: Everybody have
Speaker 5: Ye