Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's our two on this Tuesday, Dan and the Danets, Dan Patrick show Down to Danette seating off for the day. Fritzie's here, Marvin's here, paul E yours truly, and the back room guy. Stat of the day brought to you, as always by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. Our favorite Maurice Jones Drew, former NFL running back, works for NFL Network. He'll recap what we saw last night, how dangerous are the Minnesota Vikings, and what would he do with Sam Darnold moving forward with that contract.
Speaker 3: Good morning.
Speaker 2: If you're watching on Peacock, our streaming partner, thank you for downloading the app. Our radio affiliates as well. Pull question. We had it in hour one. We're going to keep it for hour two. Todd, give the wording on that.
Speaker 4: Which NFL franchise feels like it is in the worst shape. Giants, Browns, Raiders, Bears, Panthers, Jags, Titans, or.
Speaker 5: If you're so inclined to other and we have some early results that.
Speaker 3: You're interested, Okay, I am interested the Giants. How about we guess?
Speaker 5: Okay, Marvin's are not the first place, Marvin. Maybe they are the Titans.
Speaker 3: Okay, Paul, after last night the Bears, I'm gonna say the Giants.
Speaker 4: We've got twenty seven and a half percent. Say Giants, twenty four percent, Browns, followed by Raiders, Bears, Panthers.
Speaker 2: I don't think the Bears are in a bad situation. I think they've had a bad situation with the head coach. You've gotta have stability. If you have a rookie quarterback, you've got to have the same coach, offensive coordinator, head coach, and maybe you get that, you know, stability. This is a franchise that passed on Tom Brady late in Tom's career, and they passed on Jim Harbaugh. They don't make good decisions normally, and now you have the future of Caleb Williams at your fingertips. You got to make sure you make the right decision here. They passed on Bill Belichick. Are they getting Ben Johnson from the Lions? And is that enough to change the culture of the Chicago Bears. We'll talk to Mojo and Greg Olsen NFL and Fox will stop by as well. Vikings handle the Bears. Bears have lost eight in a row, thirty to twelve. The final Vikings now twelve and two. Bears dropped to four and ten. Falcons beat the Raiders. Falcons are seven and seven. That didn't feel like a win. And once again with Kirk Cousins, he is not done well. He's got one touchdown pass nine picks in the last five games. The Raiders dropped to two and twelve. See, I thought that was going to be a game the Raiders would win and then screw things up. Because if you're the Raiders, if you're Mark Davis, the owner, you want to make sure that you get the number one pick in the draft, worst case scenario, maybe the second.
Speaker 3: Pick, and there you got to get a quarterback.
Speaker 2: You can get shudor Sanders or cam Ward if they graded out and they you know, it feels like that's who you want, or you get Travis Hunter. But I look at the Raiders and Max Crosby will be back. I don't know if Antonio Pierce will be back. It feels like I have no information on this, but getting that number one pick maybe attracts more attention with coaching candidates there, did you leave your microphone on Marvin? I?
Speaker 5: Sure did.
Speaker 6: Preach.
Speaker 2: I like that, go all your bad self, like when you're in a movie theater and there's something that's getting ready bad gonna happen, and then you start to say something.
Speaker 7: It definitely felt very churchy. Oh okay from my part growing up in the church preaching. Sorry did you sing in the church choir?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: And the children's choir, oh you did? Yeah, my Zion Baptist Church children's choir. Okay, from about eight to eleven. Okay, that's how long church service.
Speaker 3: Was, from eight in the morning until eleven. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow, I needed a pitch clock in church, you know. I needed them to speed it up a little bit there, because it used to be like an hour when you go for a Catholic Mass, and then all of a sudden, it's like, uh, we we cut short some things here, speed up some things here. You want to get more people to go to church, make it thirty five minutes? And why why was my family always late to church?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 2: You know, granted my mom had to get six kids together, throw all of us in a station wagon, but even now when my wife goes to church, we're late because you go you wait till the last minute to get out there the door when it goes to church, at least in my family, it's like, let me see, it's gonna take seven minutes to get there. Let's leave and uh six and a half minutes. Nick can't find parking. Then you walk in because my wife's always.
Speaker 3: Like, oh god, I walk in late.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: Then you got a walk and there's bad seats.
Speaker 2: And it's like, it's okay, all right, I'd rather sit in the choir all the way up where the organ is.
Speaker 8: Yes, Paul, and the families that walk in late, the door creaks open and breaks the silence, and everyone does the judgmental turnback look to the late family. It's not that important to that, but not that important. And then you have to like, like you're breaking into a building, you tiptoe to your seat, excuse.
Speaker 3: Or you leave right after communion?
Speaker 6: Oo.
Speaker 2: That was That was a great move by me, although I have to admit, well, I did admit finally too my you know what I didn't admit my my brothers and sisters they ratted me out. I used to drop them off for church, and I would carry a pair of con and put them in the trunk so I'd drop them off and I would have my younger brother, my two younger sisters, and I'd drop them off and I'd say, hey, get me, you know a leaflet, give me the the pamphlin.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I'd go shoot basketball.
Speaker 2: And then I'd so I'd get my put my cons on, and then I would go shoot, and then I'd come back and pick them up, and then we go home. And you know, I had proof. And then they finally ratted me out. They said, you know, Dan doesn't go to church. And my mom was like, Danny, I go, what Dave says that you don't go to church. I go, I go to church. I don't go into church. Although there was a two year window, I pulled off one of the great ones. I said to my mom Notre Dame football re air Sunday morning, Lindsey Nelson and Paul Horning. You got to watch a truncated you know, they would cut down the Notre Dame game.
Speaker 3: And I said to my mom, I said, Mom, it's kind of like church. It's Notre Dame football. And my mom let me get away with that for two years, and.
Speaker 2: Then all of a sudden, my brother and then my sisters and then everybody became a Notre Dame fan, and then that ruined it. So then I had to go back going to church. I had to go to church every single morning when I was growing up. Every day it's Saturday, get dressed up, going there, little guy sit there. I had no idea what was going on. I just knew that I was already in trouble. I already had a sin, and the original sin. And I said to my mom what did I do? And she said, you didn't do anything. I said, I got a sin. I can't even get rid of it. I can't even go to confession. And then she goes, don't worry about it. It's a really minor sin. I said, I didn't do anything, and she said, you'll get a chance to get rid of it.
Speaker 4: Yes, Tom, how long did you get away with playing basketball? And what made them finally decide this is bull? I'm gonna we're gonna rat Dan out. There's no way he can get away with this.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know why they turned on me, but you know, snitches get stitches, and you know, I take matters into my own hands.
Speaker 3: With my younger brother. He said, you do it again. No, you know.
Speaker 2: It's you know siblings, they're gonna turn on you can't trust him even now, turn on me now? Yes, I think the eighth commandment is thou shalt not nark? Isn't it checking my notes? I was an altar boy.
Speaker 3: I think it's thou shalt not shoot hoops?
Speaker 2: Because my mom goes, don't you want to be closer to God and be an altar boy? And I go, no, No, Mom, I gotta make jumpers like I'm gonna I'm gonna make it rain.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna buy you a house, all right. Maybe I'll get you a dishwasher, yes.
Speaker 7: Martin, Yeah, be in all states way more more.
Speaker 2: I think Pete Merrivis said that if you if you said heaven or being all state All state, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, careful, third team all state. Yeah, wait, he's got to be first team. No, I wasn't first team. That's third team. That's all right, I'll take it. I'll take it.
Speaker 2: Maybe a shooting contest with me and steven A. Maybe maybe set that up there, Fritzie, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Good, look into that. That sounds fun.
Speaker 2: I might worry about Van Peasey more than I would steven A. I think I played one pickup game with van Pelt.
Speaker 8: From the free throw line.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think he's probably got some nice for him, you know, shooter. All right, dang, I got sidetracked there.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: June in Virginia beach, Hi June, thanks for holding what's on your mind today?
Speaker 9: Good morning, Dan and Danetts. I call you every year around this I'm Today is my son, Marty's forty third birthday, and he just celebrated seven years of beating als. It has taken his body, but it's not taken his spirit, or his intelligence or his sense of humor. And Marty was almost born with a love of sports. He learned to read when he was three years old because he wanted to read the sports page and read about his football teams. And he picked the Detroit Lions when he was three years old as his team. So there have been a lot of lean years, but he's stuck with them. Barry Sanders is his all time favorite athlete. And I just like every year for you guys to sing happy birthday to him and give him a little lift. And I know that I'm going to be calling you until you retire every year for Marty's birthday because he's convinced that he has the Stephen Hawking kind of als it's gonna take his body, but it's figured out it's not going to kill him, so it's going to leave him alone. So looking forward to a long life.
Speaker 2: Well, June, you might have to call me when I retire from this just so we can say and sing the following Happy birthday, June.
Speaker 9: Thank you very much. Yes, I love you well, we love you too.
Speaker 2: Thank you very very nice that you call in and Uh June and Virginia Beach Uh, Andrew and Washington, Hi Andrew.
Speaker 10: Good morning, Dan Denne's thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 6: Have to follow that up.
Speaker 10: Happy birthday, Marty. I now want the Lions to win the Super Bowl this year, just for Marty.
Speaker 6: Seriously.
Speaker 10: On another note, there's no bad ideas about the NBA. How about every place on the active roster on the bench has to play sometime. You bring it back to you know, when you were in grade school and everybody got a rotation, So maybe that's an option that.
Speaker 6: Everybody has to play.
Speaker 10: But Dan, I did call because I'm going to join the surgery, the shoulder surgery group tomorrow, and I wanted to see how yours was going, what your recovery is like. What your PT was and how you are today.
Speaker 3: Everything's good. I do PT a couple of times a week here in the.
Speaker 2: Man Cave and making great progress there, So good luck with that. Andrew shoulders, they don't have it down yet. It's hips they do knees pretty good shoulders. That feels like an inexact science just from my own personal surgeries that I've had. But once again, minor surgery is when it's on someone else. Whenever they put you under, it's not minor surgery. Just say, let me see Rick and grand Rapids. Hi Rick, Uh, first one line line one, Marv Hey Rick or Rodney?
Speaker 3: This is Rod Hey, rod how's it going good? What's on your mind?
Speaker 6: Good? Good?
Speaker 11: Hey, first time caller, long, long time listener. Appreciate what you guys do. Uh, No bad ideas for the NBA. Since I'm in the heartland of NBA in Northwest Iowa here, how about we just make everything a three pointer except for inside the box.
Speaker 3: I don't want more three pointers.
Speaker 6: I don't.
Speaker 2: But once again, no bad ideas. I don't know if they do something with the court, I don't. And once again, we talked about this at LinkedIn the first hour Baseball's trying, but baseball needed to try. The NBA has had, you know, a steady decline in the last ten years.
Speaker 3: Baseball's had.
Speaker 2: Baseball had a great year this year, and there are things to build on the gold net bat.
Speaker 3: Do I like it?
Speaker 2: No, that doesn't mean that I would reject it. I'd like to see it if you did it in spring training. I mean that's how it started with the pitch count, Like, let's just see it before you go.
Speaker 3: That's stupid.
Speaker 2: If I would have said a red, white and blue basketball and a three point shot back when the ABA came into business, you'd be like, what yeh makey?
Speaker 3: That's silly.
Speaker 2: A lot of the stuff that was going on in the ABA, the NBA adopted, the NFL has adopted, Like you have to adapt or you get steamrolled. And you're going against this behemoth in the NFL. Now they're going to play games on Christmas Day. That was the NBA's coming out party. They don't care. They want to eat everything in front of them, the gambling, everything, and baseball and basketball trying to keep up having gambling. It it's it's nothing compared to the NFL.
Speaker 4: Yes, Dodd, what if you miss a three and they subtract three points from your score. That'll kind of reduce the number three points, especially the ones that aren't very good at taken them.
Speaker 6: What you just do?
Speaker 4: We were up seventy one sixty three and out sixty eight sixty three.
Speaker 6: What are you doing?
Speaker 3: There's no bad ideas to lose three points when you missed. There is no bad ideas today.
Speaker 6: None.
Speaker 3: All right, we'll take a break. Maurice Jones Drew will join us.
Speaker 2: Last game, which team feels the most hopeless right now? We'll take a break back after this. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Fox Shortsradio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 12: Hey Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 13: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 12: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 13: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 12: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 13: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together, I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 12: So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 3: That's Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Over the last three games, the Bears have been outscored fifty three to nothing in the first half. Chicago's the first team to have three consecutive scoreless first halfs since the twenty eighteen Jacksonville Jaguars. Congratulations.
Speaker 3: How stead of a day.
Speaker 8: Stant of to day statuta day stand outa day.
Speaker 3: This is the start of the day.
Speaker 2: Stout of the day, brought to you by Panini America. Here's some advice for Bears fans. Don't watch the first half, just wait around and watch the second half might be a little more enjoyable.
Speaker 3: He is Maurice Jones.
Speaker 2: Drew, NFL network analyst, RAMS Radio color analyst, and former NFL running back. Good to see you again, Good to have you on the program. How threatening are the Vikings?
Speaker 6: Mojo well first and foremost, Dan, great to be back. Second. No Jaguars lander will be allowed while I'm on here. No more Jaguars slander. We've had enough.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, we've had enough.
Speaker 6: Stat of the day, you know, unless it's positive, we don't want to talk anything negative about the Jags, all right. Stat of the day was a little That was a little tough for me to hear you say that.
Speaker 2: Okay, I've learned my lesson. I'll try to be nice. Let me see if I can find something nicer. How about when I was gonna say.
Speaker 6: It's okay, we can move on, you know, you know, Jags near and dear to our hearts here and the Jones Drew household. Been a tough season, but we can move forward.
Speaker 3: Well, I didn't have this one.
Speaker 2: The Raiders have trailed by double digits, in all fourteen games this season.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that doesn't That doesn't help either. That doesn't help. But we're going the wrong way. Let's talk about the Vikings.
Speaker 3: Okay, how threatening are the Vikings to me?
Speaker 6: I think the Vikings when Sam Darnold is and the way he's playing, they can beat anyone, especially in the in the NFC North. Now with Detroit going through all those injuries, and I know Dan Campbell's fired up about the the challenge that will be for his team, But in the NFL, it's it's about the Krim, Dela Krim. It's about the talent that you have on that roster, and miss is so many guys that they have right now on defense, David Montgomery out for this season. That's gonna be tough to overcome.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 6: I'm not saying they can't do it, but the way the Vikings are playing, they're my favor right now to win the NFC North.
Speaker 2: What would you do with Sam Darnold's contract moving forward?
Speaker 6: I would I would actually sign Sam to a two to three year deal, continue to let JJ McCarthy sit and learn, very similar to what kind of the Packers do with Jordan Love. If Sam can continue to play this way, I think the Vikings have a great chance to continue to build a roster with him and then obviously move on from him in a year two years, and then put J. J. McCarthy in there, and you're reading a role you got to you had a winner. So to me, I think they put themselves in a position out Let me be honest. I wasn't a believer in Sam Darnold. I don't think many were because of what he did in New York, and I know he played better in Carolina. I know he sat with the Niners, but what we saw from him as a full starter in New York was tough to watch, right, a lot of turnovers, a lot of mistakes being made. But kudos to him for working on himself, working on his game and going into Minnesota into a situation where you have a lot of weapons around you, and he's really taken advantage of this opportunity. So to me, he's earned the right to play again next year, especially being what where they're twelve and two right now and and you have a chance to win the North. To me, that's a huge accomplishment for not only does the Vikings organization, but for Sam himself.
Speaker 3: Pristine give mojo.
Speaker 4: The poll question question is which NFL franchise feels like it is in the worst shape? Bears, Giants, Anthers, Raiders, Browns, Jaguars, Titans.
Speaker 5: What in that group who's in the worst shape moving forward?
Speaker 6: You know, again, I told you no Jaguars slander, so you didn't have to put them in there. Also, Brian Callahan is a great friend of mine. No Titan slander. I feel like that franchise is on the rise, that they have a good defense, they're rolling. To me, it has to be the Giants, and the reason being is you let go of I want to say two or three players in free agency that are playing well for the McKinney in Green Bay, obviously Saquon and Philly, And I want to say there was another player that's actually playing really well that they let go of free agency. You just can't let talent hit free agency and not bring them back. You just can't do that. And a lot of that was because they paid Daniel Jones a ton of money. Now you let you, you let go right, And now you're sitting there in disarray trying to figure out what's going on. Another tough season for them and what makes it worse for me is that they did the off season hard knocks and the way they were talking about their players right, and that to me just is.
Speaker 3: This kind of like, I don't know.
Speaker 6: Now, Yes, the Browns have a tough situation. I think all those teams are in pretty volatile situations. But to me, the Giants just how it went about it, what it looked like from the outside, and then getting a peak on the inside it looked exactly what we thought it was going to look like, and then the season you have it just doesn't work well for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was really surprised that they allowed those behind the scenes phone calls and you have the you know, the GM talking to Saquon Barkley, and it just it was embarrassing because I mean, not having you know, read the room, understand what you're saying. You're saying it on TV cameras and you're basically saying this one Barkley, Yeah, go ahead and see if somebody likes you. But you know, come back to us and let us know. Man, I'd be out the door be like nope, I'm not going to look back on this.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, shout out to the scout too, or the one of the personnel people were like, are you sure you want to do this? Right? He was there to make sure, like are you sure you want to let saquad walk? And they were kind of like, yeah, oh yeah, We're not going to pay a quarterback forty million dollars to turn around and hand off to a thirteen million dollar back, Like, well, guess what. Philly is more than happy to do that. And you know, to be quite honest, he shouldn't be. He should be paid ten times that amount to what he's done for Philadelphia in their offense. Right in a situation where he won them a couple of games while guys were hurt, and he's been the focal point of that offense. He needs to go back. You know, if it's me and I'm I'm glad I'm not his agent, because we'd be going back to the table, Sir. I'd be knocking on the door, like we need a couple a little bit more of this pie that you got going around here, you know.
Speaker 2: Maurice Jones drew NFL Network and List. I don't know if Kirk Cousins is your friend, but I have to ask you, is it time to bench Kirk cousins in Atlanta.
Speaker 6: Okay, so this is the thing. I we had this conversation. I do a show every Monday for the people in the UK and Ireland for NFL, and it's we do a Monday night show and we talk about it. Like, Kurt is a great guy. He's great in the locker room, but you can't continue to turn the ball over at the rate he turned the ball over. And to me, I believe, look, if you want if you're fighting for this spot and you want to win it, maybe you feel like, hey, Michael Pennix, is are ready yet? Or I gotta go see that. I can't sit back and have this guy and ow throw a touchdown for what four or five weeks, continue to lose games that are winnable games and put us in a position where where we're not playing well. Now, he does do a great job off of play action pass, but they've been in some drop back pass and situations where he's just made bad decisions. And to be quite frank with you, I don't know he's still hurt or if Father Thomas caught up to him, But sometimes when he throws the football, it doesn't seem like he had a lot of that pizazz that he had on it when he was in Minnesota, and so for me, I just think it's time to see what we have. And I know they're in the race, and I know they're still winning, and I love Raheem Morris, so I'm gonna believe and trusted him. But if I was the coach, I would have pulled Kirk a while ago and saw the young guy was gonna do.
Speaker 2: What's the difference with Josh Allen this year as opposed to maybe the last couple of years.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, So first and foremost, I think he's just playing with the confidence and understanding of this offense, and it must be the same offense. Uh. You know, obviously Joe bradyer in their connection, but Watson him versus the Rams. So you gotta remember this is again I worked. You said, I worked for the Rams, big Rams fan. That's why I said, no slander for the Rams, Jags, Raiders, we refuse that. And the Titans because my guy Brian Callahan and Nick Holts. But I saw Sakuon Barkley versus the Rams, and I was like, this is the best player I've ever seen football, And my god, like this is crazy, you know, then double back a couple of weeks later, the next week or something crazy like that. Here comes Josh Allen and I was like, no, this is the best player ever. Right. He was throwing the ball. He's had a couple throws. If they were arrows, they would have killed some of those receivers away. He just hit him square in the chest like he was putting the ball in positions. The Rams defenders were in great position, and he was the throw to Mac Hollins for a touchdown, a couple of throws to Mary Cooper, and then his ability to take off and run and he's he's again, you're bigger, he's your biggest runner, right, so he the goal line opportunities. Then you see the way he's running and taking the time, Well, he picks his spots when he wants to be superman. If that makes sense, I think that's what that's what's the difference we've seen between Josh Allen now and Josh Allen before. He always wanted to be superman, always want to make the throws, always want to do all these things. Now he allows the game to come to them, meaning they're going to run the football. He's not gonna take chances. And then they have play calls where they probably talked to him throughout the week like all right, this is where you could be Superman if you need to be. These are the moments where we need you to be Superman. We need you to run the ball here, We need you to extend the play and throw the ball down the field here on this third down, Like there must be a code word that they tell him where he turns from you know, park in to Superman. And he goes out and does it. And again a guy like like I said, like he's clearly right now. You know, obviously I'm a running back enthusiast and I love RBS and I'm all over. But what he's done the last couple of weeks scoring forty points in back to back games against defenses that have played really well throughout this season. And I mean, what's that? Who had forty eight that last week? He has forty two the week before, whatever it might have been, Like like my goodness, And so to me, he's just he's really learning his when the moment is for him him to go out and show what he can do. But he's relying on his teammates and that's that's what's great to see.
Speaker 3: Great to talk to you as always. Hope you're doing well.
Speaker 6: Oh always, Well we'll get going. Look listen, I'm gonna be honest with you. I had youth football, I had high school football. Uh we lost the state championship game to the number one team in the country. I'm still haven't moved out of my bed in three days.
Speaker 3: Did you did you cry?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 6: I don't cry, just I just you know, replay the game over and over and over again. But our kids played really well. We just we did. We had some opportunities we didn't take advantage of. And so I watched the tape. I'm sitting here. I mean I I silent cried, which means I didn't like boohoo, but like a couple of tears dropped, because you know, just losing. Losing is hard, but you can learn from losing. And I'm learning that I'm a terrible loser. And I'm again we're going back to the drawing board. We're ready to go see the kids in a couple of weeks. You know, is Uh going to do Christmas? He's gonna get Christmas this year. Sanna doesn't come to losers houses. You know what I'm saying. But the kids already know, like Sena doesn't come. He doesn't like that. He loves winners. So we gotta, we gotta read, We gotta figure this thing back out again.
Speaker 3: Is your son being recruited?
Speaker 6: He is, He is being a recruit. He has offers by call in Utah right now, has a couple other schools talking to him. So uh, he's a sophomore, but he had a he had a really good sophomore year. And we're getting ready for our junior year here. Like I said, back back to it. No Christmas this year.
Speaker 3: Good to talk about it.
Speaker 6: Good to talk to you as well.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Mojo. That's Maurice Jones Drew. He has the most rushing yards, rushing touchdowns, scrimmage yards, scrimmage touchdowns of any NFL player five seven or shorter.
Speaker 5: That's something.
Speaker 3: Stead of the day.
Speaker 5: Stat of the day.
Speaker 3: Here comes that one stat of the day. Okay, all right.
Speaker 5: I have to hang your hat on. Yeah you have to reach a little higher to hang the hat on, but you gotta hang out well.
Speaker 2: Does Muggsy Bogues have the best stats of any player five foot five and under in NBA?
Speaker 6: History.
Speaker 5: Likely.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I gotta google Earl Boykins. Oh ooh, Earl.
Speaker 3: Muggsy was pretty Muggy was a starter in the league. Muggsy was pretty good. Yeah, Paul, If.
Speaker 8: We did greatest American sports athlete under five to ten, because you can't go international because then Messi ruins the whole thing for everybody, that would be a fun topic.
Speaker 3: The best American athlete five ten or shorter? Where are we going? Because that's that's the cutoff.
Speaker 8: Is it under five to ten or five to ten in under your call?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 2: Who That's when guys will lie about their height. That's when they'll go, hey, I'm not five five ten and a half. I'm actually five nine and three quarters. Is Jack Nicholas five ten or under? I think he might. Now he's probably listed in the program at five to ten, but when I met Jack, he wasn't five to ten.
Speaker 8: Yes, Paul, you know old school basketball, Calvin Murphy, the NBA guard, Yeah, he was great Hall of Famer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's clearly under five times, I think, Yeah, I think, uh, five to nine. Uh, can we check and see what Jack Nicholas, Barry Sanders, Barry Sanders, Oh boy, pretty great. He was five to nine.
Speaker 2: Let me see if we can get Jack Nicholas's right there, Todd, are you googling right now?
Speaker 5: I was texting a upcoming guess something.
Speaker 7: Oh okay, yes, yes, Marph, it says Jack Nicholas is listed at five to ten.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so he's really five to nine.
Speaker 2: Well no, I don't think he's five to ten, but he's barely five bear go barely?
Speaker 3: Okay, I respect that one.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Todd. Uh who else would be under five? Five to ten and under? I think you have to do five ten. There's a lot of people who listed at five to ten, five to ten are under. All right, let me take a break, uh, Michael Vick and a couple of college jobs. We'll talk about that. More phone calls as well.
Speaker 1: Back after this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio w APP.
Speaker 2: Once again, no bad ideas when it comes to helping. I don't want to say fix the NBA. Help the NBA. That's all just being open minded, sort of like baseball's been the last couple of years. Me just try some things, throw them out there. See if they were. I think the NBA needs some help making it a little bit more enjoyable. Tune in factor.
Speaker 3: Ratings a steady decline in the last ten years.
Speaker 7: Yes, morph the NBA should go with the elm ending. They had it in the All Star Game a couple of years, where there's a target score. Yeah, where it always ends on a made basket, almost like pick up basketball. Yeah, instead of oh, they run the clock out, somebody's you know, winning by fifty points or thirty points or whatever. It's always going to be a tight game and you're always playing to win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's drastic, but it was interesting. There was a curiosity factor there. Once again, no bad ideas. Speaking of which Michael Vick maybe two coaching opportunities good idea, bad idea. I don't know how much coaching experience he has. One is Norfolk State. Now, he was obviously very big time athlete in Newport News, Virginia that area and Sacramento State. Sack State wants to get into the PAC twelve and they've been a successful smaller school what is that FBS FBS FBS, and you know they want to up the ante. They want to get into the PAC twelve, you know, the new and improved PAC twelve and Michael Vick. I don't know if there's any ties to Michael Vick with Sacramentum. We certainly know with Norfolk, but I could see that happening. I could see, and you're starting to see this. You know, Eddie George is coaching in college d and of course took a college job. Ed Reid almost took a college job. And these are smaller schools, historically black colleges and universities giving them an opportunity. But Norfolk State with Michael Vick, I don't know, you know, what is any coaching experience? Maybe high school, but I don't know. But see everybody, everybody wants to get to get the Dean Sanders effect. That's what North Carolina is hoping for. Bill Belichick, you got your Dion. Well, no, there's only one don You can have Eddie George. Eddie George a wonderful guy, not Dion ed Reid, He not Dia. Michael Vick not Dion. You got to have personality, and he has more than enough. But he has been in our world, in our life for thirty years. We've seen prime, We've seen all of this good, bad, great took the job at Jackson State. Everybody's like, what what are you doing there? He was just there just to get people's attention, and then Florida State didn't hire him. Travis Hunter was going to go to Florida State. Dion's like, Hey, I'm bringing my boys, and uh, why don't you come with me?
Speaker 3: We're going to Colorado.
Speaker 2: And I think even Travis Hunter's like, damn, it's cold there, and Shador's like, oh no, we'll heat it up. End up winning the Heisman. They had a great year, almost qualified for the college football playoffs. But if you think you're getting Dion Sanders, think again. In one guy, that's it. But if I'm Sacramento State, all right, you got people's attention with Mike Norfolk, I get that one, just you know, geographically, but trying to get a coach that kids are going to want to play for that they know who he is, and you know, Mike's Mike's kind of reserved. He's shy almost now. He wasn't when he was on the field. That was his personality. If you're recruiting, like this is what this is? The knock on Belichick? Can he relate to these players, his personality, how's that going to come across. I don't know how Michael Vick will be in the room with you know, these parents zoom calls. Kids want to be a dual threat, you know, a quarterback.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't have any idea.
Speaker 2: What Norfolk State football program has been like the last ten year, five years. I know Sacramento State has played playoff games FBS.
Speaker 7: Yes, Marvin does every single college college coach need to be charismatic.
Speaker 2: I think if you're trying to get Dion effect, then like, if I'm hiring you, what am I hiring you to do? Like, I need you to go in there and you're the face, So be in the face. You've got to be out in front. You got to be recruiting. You got to you know, when you're at the press conference, when you're being interviewed, you're there all the time. You're you're out front. And this is what Belichick's going to have to do. Hey we need you go to the basketball game. Hey you know we got booster meeting here. Hey we have this, we have that. We that's what college is now. You can delegate to a certain degree, but if you're going to be that focal point, that figurehead. We want to see you. Then it comes down to I know Belichick can coach. Belichick gives you an advantage over every coach in America because he's a better coach than any coach in America. So you always have an advantage going into a game. I don't know. Now Michael Vick was a player coach, then might be a little more interesting for me. But good if he gets an opportunity. And look, I've spent time with Mike. I've mentioned this before. You know, we know what he did with dog fighting. Everybody knows that he went to prison. He paid a price. He went to a hardcore prison, and when he got out, Tony Dungee took him under his wing and said, look, I want to help you. And one of the things he did, he said, I want you to go and talk to these kids at a prison outside of Tampa. And Tony asked me, Tony had done me a favor, and he said, I want you to do me a favor. I want you to come down here with me with Mike. And I got to see Mike in a prison yard and I'm guessing ninety five percent were African American and probably ninety five percent were under twenty five years of age, but they listened to it. When he spoke, they listened and he went around. There were even there were guys who were in their jail cells who weren't allowed out in the yard that you know, they had done something where they were on lockdown. Mike went in and walked around and talked to everybody who was there in their jail cell through the through the bars and spoke to them. And you could see the reaction from these kids. And they were kids twenty five and under, it felt like. And Tony Dungee wanted wanted Michael to kind of share his experience he had been in prison, and I, I, you know, I do root for him. I like, Mike, did he make a terrible mistake?
Speaker 3: Yes he did.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 2: I went to dinner with him with Tony Dungee one night in Tampa, and uh, you know, he was very reserve, very quiet, and probably not trusting of me because I was a member of the media. But you know I could I could tell where he just looked around the whole night. We were in a booth and uh, I think it was Lee Roy Selman's restaurant and he just looking around constantly because people would walk by and he didn't know how they were going to react to him. But I mean we've had him on subsequently and we've talked football, and you know, he he knows what happened, and you know, he could even have a dog and want to have a dog for his kids, and you know, so there's a lot tied up in all of that, and I don't know, it sounds like, you know, these universities may be past that and giving him an opportunity to coach. So maybe he can walk in and you know, he doesn't have the same impact that Dion had, but nobody does. But maybe they'll listen to him. Maybe you can recruit, maybe he can build something there at Norfolk State or Sacramento State.
Speaker 7: Yes, Mark, because maybe sometimes the name is enough if you're a quarterback and you're the parents, So the parents might be more geek to meet Michael Vick than It's almost like the Deon Sanders thing, like they don't know Diana as a player, but their parents love them. So if my kid was twenty and Michael Vick walked in, I'd be super excited, no matter how charismatic. He might or might not be. Just the name alone rings bells to where. You know what, Let's give Sacramento State a shot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe maybe yeah, Pull.
Speaker 8: I'm reading the Sacramento b this morning and the reporter said it's premature say Michael Vick as the next coach. They're talking to a number of coaches and his name leaked out.
Speaker 2: Well, the Norfolk State thing, that's real, and I get that Final Hour on the way. Catch up with Greg Olsen, NFL on Fox Analyst. More of your phone calls as well. Eight seven to seven three DP Show email address DPA Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle the DP Show Final Hour in this Tuesday straight Ahead