Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is nick shot streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the Official Dallas Cowboys at now. Here are Bill Jones, Everson Wolves, and Nicky Spagnola.
Speaker 3: And it's a Wednesday at eleven am inside the SWBC podcast studio here at the Beautiful Star Infrasco. And that can mean only one thing.
Speaker 2: What is that?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 3: Not sure what that means? But we are here on a Wednesday instead of a Monday.
Speaker 1: We're gonna wake this place up, all right, pretty quiet.
Speaker 3: Mickey's gonna wake this place up with the shirt he's wearing there. Oh nice, right, the bright yellow sleeves.
Speaker 5: I remember that they discontinued that they did in nineteen eight.
Speaker 1: I think this was about twenty sixteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right. It was at the Cowboys Golf Club that you got that.
Speaker 1: That's right, right, absolutely, that's.
Speaker 3: Official Cowboys gear that he is wearing there. I've got one deep in my closet somewhere.
Speaker 1: Mine was deep too, and I dug.
Speaker 2: Like, let's do something.
Speaker 3: Different, all right, and we're going to dig deep into this Cowboys team here over the course of the next forty five minutes to an hour, depending on when we run out of gas as we close out them up.
Speaker 2: Of may we run out of gas real fast.
Speaker 3: I saw some football players on top of the building across the way you did the practice field, having a skull session.
Speaker 1: Right now, an unofficial walk through.
Speaker 3: Yes, on top of the building where they do the little team though, right outside the offices over there. So there are football players on the premises as this is the second week of OTAs.
Speaker 1: But they're not officially practicing. That's okay, let me just throw that out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's anyone that's listening.
Speaker 1: No one wants to get fined.
Speaker 3: One hundred thousand dollars out of whose pocketbook? The head coach, I know it. And the head coach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wife to the head coach.
Speaker 1: He the owner, The owner has nothing. They got accused of being too physical last year, back to back years.
Speaker 2: So it was a kay.
Speaker 1: So it was fifty then one hundred.
Speaker 3: That'll get you explain that to your wife.
Speaker 2: So McCarthy, right, you have to pay this.
Speaker 1: So he he basically was, you know, when he was talking about it on Thursday, he was talking about how you know, we're being very careful. And somebody said that i'd have anything to do with, you know, getting fine last year, and uh and and everybody laughed, right, and he goes, well, well, I'm glad you find humor in it. My wife and I don't think it's real funny.
Speaker 2: Man, that is crazy. Yeah, I thought they would go to the owner.
Speaker 1: So they went uh one eighty to the other side from physical to basically might as well we just started. We're just talking to that, not even playing touch.
Speaker 2: We're going to talk it out. We'll just talk it. I mean when they walk it out and talk it.
Speaker 1: When they did passing drills and they were in eleven on eleven, it was like, you go ahead and catch the ball and we're not defending anything.
Speaker 5: We'll see now the players probably, you know, to coach McCarthy's defense got.
Speaker 2: A little carried away, right camp. Yeah, And they got.
Speaker 5: Out there and started competing a little bit, right, And so someone's watching and they said, hey, that's too much.
Speaker 1: If you're telling them you're going to play football, they're gonna compete.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you got your boy out there. You know, we hadn't seen each other in a while. Let's let's let's we convene. That's interesting.
Speaker 1: They backed off.
Speaker 2: I would mean it would be I would be passing hat in the locker room. Okay, you were. You were practicing too hard. I saw you too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: They well, the team can benefit from not having.
Speaker 1: His should not get any injuries in.
Speaker 2: That, right.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's a Seawn Lee injury in twenty fourteen ORed in the month of me.
Speaker 1: I remember that one. It was a it was a run to to the right and he was going, you know, to stop him, to turn him back inside. And uh, when I think it might have been.
Speaker 2: Zach Martin.
Speaker 3: Zach Martin, he was a rookie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was fourteen, kind of blocked the way he turned back inside to try to cut it off, right, and uh.
Speaker 2: And didn't they have that video on?
Speaker 3: Uh? It was it was during an opening, it was open practice. The media was at Valley Ranch.
Speaker 1: And and basically what he did he tore an a c L that was about halfway gone anyway. But anyway, I remember it was a week or so later. I was in the locker room and he comes walking in on crutches. Right, he had just had his had his had his surgery, and I looked at him and I shook my head. I go, Sean, it was an ot A. What are you doing? He goes, well, I was just trying to do the right thing on you know, that was my responsibility to turn it back inside.
Speaker 5: And that was a testament to how Sean did need to down.
Speaker 1: Yeah a little bits, that's him.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, yeah, ia all that.
Speaker 1: So so anyway, yeah, it was powder puff o t A out there. I guarantee you they.
Speaker 2: And they stayed away. They should they should actually give them T shirts.
Speaker 1: Elen o t Yeah. Well, but to you know, and and and Dak talked about it, and he said, well, you know, he said, uh something to the fact that you know, while we can't go full speed, he goes, I can go full speed in my mind, and you just get mental reps to understand what we're trying where he can anticipate, he said, And that's what everybody else has got to do. So anyway, we'll have a lot of impressions of that. By the way, today's what May thirty first, Yes, so that means tomorrow June first is the June first releases, remember Ezekiel Elliot, So on June second, the Cowboys will recoup some salary cap money.
Speaker 3: Not just some, but ten point nine million dollars will be.
Speaker 1: But they also so he was going to count sixteen million in change against the cap. Now that five point eight has to still be accounted for, so they'll clear about ten ten million dollars.
Speaker 2: Has anyone had Zeke Elliott sighting?
Speaker 1: I think maybe at the dak Stadium. I don't know. Yeah, but yeah, no.
Speaker 2: So he has been visited.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you want to jump into it right now? Yeah, let's go. What do you think?
Speaker 1: So did you see what Mike McCarthy said about.
Speaker 3: Yes, last Thursday is press conference Mike McCarthy talking about as they looked back at uh short yardage and goal line situations last year. What was the quote?
Speaker 1: So here's the entire quote. He's somebody else replace Wait till next segment, let's go. He said. Somebody asked him about what, you know, how is going replacing Zeke? And he said, well, I don't think you just go out and replace Zeke. I don't view it that way. Kapanominics. That's real, and sometimes you have to make decisions. The coaches were doing short yardage and goal line last night, and you know he just jumps off the tape. It's really not about replacing Zeke. It's about opportunities for other young guys.
Speaker 3: And they weren't looking at short yardage and goal line plays from four years ago. Now we're looking at short yardage and goal line plays from last year.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: And so the head coach understands that there were twelve rushing touchdowns. There were twelve of fourteen conversions on third and one, and when they were at the one yard line, he was scoring seven touchdowns inside the five.
Speaker 3: So the whole situation changes come Friday as far as Zeke's market.
Speaker 1: Right and we'll see what ends up. Well, he could have signed it. He could have, yeah, but he hasn't.
Speaker 3: But he wasn't going to get the Cowboys' best offer right until.
Speaker 1: Friday, and so they could.
Speaker 3: So that would be he could have offers on the table from other teams right now, and he could be telling those other teams that I'm waiting till June second.
Speaker 5: And who would those potential other teams be? What's been what's been special rumors?
Speaker 1: And then everybody else said, WHOA, no, we we hadn't done anything.
Speaker 2: So was it?
Speaker 3: Well, Tampa Bay's got Skip Pete is a running backs coach, and they have no salary cap money available. But they I don't know if they had a June first cut or not.
Speaker 1: They did resign Fournette, right, they.
Speaker 3: Let right four nets out there and as well.
Speaker 5: Right, So wait, skip Pete, that's his name, right, So what's he going to coach? I mean, what running backs are there? You know who's there? He comes to a team with no quarterback.
Speaker 1: Well, they got they got a quarterback.
Speaker 2: Quarter back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's already slim Thickens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it really is. So you sent me down to Tampa.
Speaker 3: Tampa Bay has in their running back room. A third round pick from last year was Shot White. Chase Edmonds, who they signed in free agency. He was cap casualty in Denver. Keishawn Vaughan, who is a third round pick in twenty twenty, Patrick Laird, Ronnie Brown, not that Ronnie Brown. Yeah, And Sean Tucker. Oh, Sean Tucker, who I really like from Syracuse. However, he may not play this year because he's or he may not play in his NFL career. He should have been could have been like a second round draft pick, but he was detected with a medical condition. At the combine. So what you're challenged, So he wasn't even able to run to train for the for.
Speaker 1: The drafts, skip better coaches, asset.
Speaker 3: Coach what so there is room at the end in Tampa.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we'll see is a whole if you just want to concentrate it on what the head coach says, you know, we understand thoroughly.
Speaker 3: My ears perked up when he said that.
Speaker 1: It's right there in college.
Speaker 3: It's it's not just talk that they value Zeke and and look at what the Cowboys. I mean, we talked about what Tampa Bay has in their running back room. What are the Cowboys have?
Speaker 2: No right?
Speaker 3: And you've got Tony Pollard.
Speaker 1: And by the way, he was taking part in some of the drills, so that was encouraging. And he looked like he you know, they weren't going full speed, but he was moving so it wasn't like he was out there limping through things. Excellent, So that was encouraging.
Speaker 3: And you've got Ronald Jones who they signed in free agency, who, by the way, in Kansas City last year played in six games and got thirty eight offensive snaps in Kansas City.
Speaker 1: That makes you feel good.
Speaker 3: Deuce Vaughan, of course, the sixth round draft pick out of Kansas.
Speaker 1: Date who is as small as advertised.
Speaker 3: Which is five to five one seventy nine pounds.
Speaker 2: I think they got one over the five.
Speaker 1: I think they got him at five six.
Speaker 3: Well, the combine had him at five feet five inches tall.
Speaker 1: Right, and my and this and this thing, this thing the roster we got uh has number forty two at five six seventy six.
Speaker 3: So maybe you got Milik Davis and Rico o'dowdell and Hunter Lipke.
Speaker 1: Don't go to sleep on Malik Davis. They like him, and he showed up last year. I think he had like thirty eight carries.
Speaker 3: Do they like him on the goal line in short yardage situation?
Speaker 2: That's five?
Speaker 1: He's two five?
Speaker 3: And what is zeke? Zeke is to twenty five?
Speaker 2: I know, yeah, I know that says nothing to me. Yeah, not at all.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, just to be a complimentary, complimentary running back, not to.
Speaker 5: Do well, that's one. But we know that Malik Davis was a good is a good player. We saw that last year when he got some time.
Speaker 2: And see that's what.
Speaker 5: We all remember from Okay is the block that he missed but otherwise he had a decent season for someone that's playing behind two very good running backs.
Speaker 3: All right, I think the one of the big questions here is how many offensive snaps do you want Tony Pollard to have in a game. And we'll break it down over a season, over a season, basically on offense, you have in a seventeen game season, a little over eleven hundred snaps.
Speaker 5: Can I make a difference between snaps and touches, because to me, it's it's touches. You know, that's when you when we give him a lot of touches, then that's when you can see.
Speaker 2: Him get fatigued. I don't know about the amount of plays.
Speaker 5: I don't nobody's blocking, but I know when it comes to the touches, the more touches that we get him, the more he's fatigued and he's calling, he's tapping out.
Speaker 1: And so if he was getting I was doing it real quick. If I did it right, fifteen carries a game over seventeen weeks, that looks like that comes to about two hundred and fifty snaps in the season. Yes, that would be about right.
Speaker 3: Okay, Here here was the breakdown last year. Here was the breakdown. Yeah, as far as snaps go, last year, right, what what do you think the percentage was of snaps divided between Tony Pollard and Zeke Elliott last year?
Speaker 1: I'm guessing it was thirty thirty eight percent to whatever.
Speaker 3: Thirty eight percent for Pollard, yes, and sixty two percent for Zeke. Tony Pollard had five hundred sixty seven offensive snaps last year and Zeke Elliott had five hundred fifty eight. So it was a fifty to fifty split last year. But the perception is that Zeke is on the field a lot more than Pollard. Well, as it turns out, Pollard was on the field as much as Zeke was last year. So my point is, and so if even if you want to push Paul, where do you want to push Pollard?
Speaker 5: Two?
Speaker 3: As far as those snaps go, do you want anything to go sixty to forty?
Speaker 2: You keep it.
Speaker 3: I think you wanted fifty to fifty, just like you had it. And you can give me more touches as you go along here. Okay, I went back and looked at the first game of the year last year and last night against Tampa Bay, and you know you could tell from the get go the very first snap of the season, they're going to make a concerted effort to have Pollard on the field as much as Zeke. So on the first play of the game, both of them are on the field and Pollard lined up wide and then he went in motion back in the backfield. They handed to Zeke. Then on the third play of the they're back on the field at the same time time and they run an end around with where it's like a double reverse, giving it to CD and then he kind of passes it over to Pollard and they lose ten yards. And I was jayous, Yeah, right, And so they were trying to figure out ways to get Pollard on the field the same time. Well, you can figure out ways to get Pollared the football and more than you give it to whoever the other running back is. But I think you want him so that he is strong throughout the season. Basically a fifty to fifty split Pollard versus the other running backs. Now, who on this depth chart do you want to take those fifty percent of the snaps?
Speaker 1: I would have to spread him out between two or three guys, right, And I'll just go back to what McCarthy said. Kapanomics that's real. If he wasn't making a ten point nine million dollar base salary this year, he would have been in that locker room right now.
Speaker 5: And we want we want intelligent touches. Bill, You don't just want to just give anybody that touch.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's all right.
Speaker 5: We're just gonna be counting percentages here. Okay, you got yours in, all right, this time it might be thirty one, But then it's Malik Davis's turn, but it's thirty one. You know, we try to move the chain, So you're gonna you gotta be smart about the touches, right, you know, you gotta be strategic on who's gonna have it at the particular time. So touches is one thing, but sometimes the flow of the game might predicate that thing.
Speaker 1: You want him in there banging away on third and one and you get it now it's first down. Are you handing them to the ball again?
Speaker 5: You could have possibly the way a drive could turn out. You could have several very important thirty ones. And you gotta be smart on who you want to give it to, right, and how many times you want to give it to him with this backfield.
Speaker 1: And from powered I mean what's his deal? Basically his ability to bust the run right. NFL dot Com did a deal on top ten explosive runners in the league and it was a combination of some next gen stats expected you know, yardage, and then they broke it down to ten plus runs, ten yard plus runs, percentage, and then fifteen plus mile per hour runs okay, and percentage. Pollard ended up fifth. He had an overall score of eighty seven. The number one guy was Justin Fields had a ninety eight, but he had far fewer carries than Pollard did. And they're different carries, right of course, because a lot with the quarterback it's not designed to run apparently, so that gives you an opportunity. But he had thirty one ten plus yard runs, so sixteen percent of his carries were at least ten yards. And when it came to fifteen plus US miles an hour run, he had forty three of those. So you don't want that to go down because you've given them more carries. You still want that explosiveness.
Speaker 5: Those carries are most likely not on the goal line, and they are most likely not short yard is placed that pilot had. Okay, Those are usually first and ten second long, and we learned how to.
Speaker 2: Stretch the field.
Speaker 5: You remember how we used to do it with doorset, and we see with Pilot you stretch the field, create the weakness, and you cut back inside. Yeah, you can do that on second first and ten second long, thirty one goal line.
Speaker 2: You can't do that.
Speaker 5: It's hard to create that kind of scenario to where you can create softness for a Pilot or any one of his size. That's tough to emulate with someone that's not Zeke Elliott.
Speaker 1: So two things happen right away when everybody sees June one, and so the Cowperys are going to have ten more million dollars in cap space. Well, the first thought, well, you got to go get DeAndre Hopkins, right. The second thought is that, well, my thought is you can use that money now. It's not like you can go and just splurge. Now you've got available cap space to sign guys to extensions. Trayvon Diggs maybe c d Land at some point. And by the way, Trayvon Diggs was not at the OTA. Now he's done that before, working out with his brother and whatever. And I understand it's voluntary, right, Hambrick. I still think of that every day standing there listening him to say what do voluntary mean? But again, you also have ten million dollars extra to say, hey z, how about two and a half three million dollar base to return with his incentives?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: And you can you can do the incentives in a way that they won't count against the cap because if you give them incentives that he accomplished the year before, then they're likely to be earned and you've got to pay for it. And if he doesn't get it, then you get a rebate the next year. But if you give them the type of incentives that he didn't have the previous year and he gets them, then they charge you next year for that. So there's a way to work on that. So yeah, I think that no one's brought that up right away. DeAndre Hopkins right.
Speaker 2: He's going to cause more than ten bis.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, absolutely what he was making. I mean, he's a twenty million dollars wide receiver, yes, absolutely, And you spent your money on your wide receiver with Brandon Cooks. By the way, in Cincinnati, have.
Speaker 6: Sean Watson wants Cleveland and in fact fact and bring that up in regards to Zeke as well, Cleveland could use another running back to go.
Speaker 3: With Nick Chubb also, but there are six teams that are picking up cap space on Friday, and the Browns are one of those teams. Like the Cowboys, estimated ten point nine million dollars becomes available for them, and so I would think DeShawn Watson has that targeted for DeAndre Hopkins, that extra violence.
Speaker 1: So it'll be interesting.
Speaker 5: I think he could be back in Cleveland, back in Ohio, back in Ohio.
Speaker 3: I mean, Cincinnati was another team that was mentioned because they lost some p Ryan, but they did draft Chase Brown, rookie out of Illinois to go with Mixon. Good player, he's good, Yeah, yeah, he's good. He's a different type back than what Zeke is. Zeke is more of the I mean, is the Ryan type to go along with mixing. So that made a lot of sense too. But they've got and the other thing on Zeke is he he now knows what the market is for running backs as opposed to back in March when he was let go. Okay, so he he sees that there's not that kind of money out there that there has been in the past for running backs, and so I would imagine if I'm if I am Zeke's agent. I want to see what the cowboys best offer is, and you know, see what else is out there, take it to the Cowboys and see if they'll match it. And the Cowboys up until this Friday haven't had the ability to match it. Well, now they presumably have extra money that they may not be spending elsewhere.
Speaker 2: How influential you think Dak might be.
Speaker 3: I think very I think just like just like DeAndre, just like Shan Watson wants DeAndre Hopkins in Cleveland, I would think that Dak wants And I would think Tony Pollard wants Zeke Kelly at the right too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I would imagine the coaching staff too.
Speaker 3: It sounded like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, everybody, he's like, oh, I got all this money. Now we all know because normally, and they have around ten million today, you need about that to operate through the season because you're gonna have injuries. You're gonna have guys you're gonna have to pay on ir, You're gonna have guys get hurt that you pay injury settlements too. And if you look at what happened last year, I think they ended up playing oh gosh, do it off the top of my head. They ended up playing like seventy two guys at some point during the season to get through the season.
Speaker 2: So it seems like a lot.
Speaker 1: Well, when you have injury.
Speaker 2: And I don't know, here's the real thought about the number.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is a lot, But the whole landscape on it had changed with the pandemic because the rules changed as far as injured reserve goes.
Speaker 2: And now about the norm.
Speaker 3: Now, if you've got a guy who's spraying an ankle, you don't have to put him on season ending injured reserve. He can just be out four weeks. And so you're going to naturally use more players, so you need more at deft on your roster that way, and you got a fund and larger practice squad too, And the practice squad rules are different where you can have veterans on your practice squad and there's.
Speaker 2: A norm right right now.
Speaker 1: And you got to fund your practice squad and that's sixteen sixteen guys over eighteen weeks. And those guys, if they're there the whole time, make right at two hundred thousand, which is why when you see some of the undrafted free agents, you came around too soon they're guaranteeing them two hundred thousand. But the guarantee is if you don't make the team, you'll at least be on the practice squad.
Speaker 2: Is what is the base salary for a rookie?
Speaker 1: Yeah, first year, it's I think it's almost getting close to six hundred thousand and maybe five hundred and.
Speaker 2: Chain so andreft of free agent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if he's on the if he's on the fifty three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, rookie minimum.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what was your what was your rookie minimum?
Speaker 2: I think like twenty eight thirty. I got thirty. I think i'd got fifteen signing bonus by god.
Speaker 3: So really, when you look at the training camp rosters, and all teams have ninety players on their training camp roster, if you look at throughout the course of if you chart it throughout the course of the season, with practice squads and injuries and all that stuff, I would estimate that on every team's camp, eighty of those ninety players will be on a roster at some point during the season, which is a total difference than what it's been in the past.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So good stuff.
Speaker 1: Now, all right, I told you we're going to like this place.
Speaker 2: Up.
Speaker 3: We got a lot more to get to and mix shots continues at a moment.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Chris.
Speaker 4: I'm Douk Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. Blockchain dot Com is one of the most trusted ways to buy, sell, and trade crypto. Whether you're always on the go or stay closer to home, blockchain dot Com is just a few taps away put the power of crypto in your pocket, so no matter where you are, you can trade on your terms and build a crypto portfolio to fit your life. For cryptopros, rookies, and anyone in between, blockchain dot com makes it easy to own a piece of the future. Blockchain dot Com trusted by millions. Trust it by America's team.
Speaker 7: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 5: Star Sports Tools is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at the team Hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the Star and talk ex'es and o's with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 8: Hey honey, can we talk?
Speaker 3: Of course?
Speaker 1: What's up? Well?
Speaker 8: I just thought you should know. I've been curious about the new Doctor Pepper strawberries and cream.
Speaker 2: Have you felt this way a long time?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 8: I just think I'd really like the taste of doctor Pepper swirled with layers of flavor.
Speaker 3: If you feel that way, I think you should try it.
Speaker 2: Babe.
Speaker 8: It's amazing. I mean you're amazing too.
Speaker 3: Nude Doctor Pepper Strawberries and cream the new flavor.
Speaker 1: You deserve. Demited shots Cape post Roofing and Waterproofing. That's a proud partner of the Dallas Cowboys. From corporate homes to your home. Have your roof checked by choice, not by chance. Call now two one four two two five four eight six Oh, that would be Kpostcompany dot com dot com.
Speaker 3: All right, we've got this breaking news. The according to the twenty twenty Collective Barty Agreement, this is the rookie minimum salary. In twenty twenty three, mickey, you estimated it was around five fifty some k try seven hundred fifty way thousand dollars. In twenty twenty three, the rookie minimum salary in the in the NFL is now up to seven hundred fifty thousand dollars. Last year it was seven o five. Twenty twenty one it was six sixty, and twenty twenty it was six ten. Okay, it will go up to by twenty twenty eight, five years from now, the rookie minimum will be nine hundred and seventy five thousand dollars. In contrast, ten year, twelve years ago, twenty eleven, twenty eleven, it was three seventy five. It's gone up from three seventy five to seven fifty and twelve years. In fifteen years, it's gone up five hundred thousand dollars. In two thousand and six it was two hundred seventy five thousand dollars and now it's seven to fifty.
Speaker 1: So now you know why the salary cap keeps increasing, right, It's got to otherwise you can't. You can't keep up with the increase in the base salary.
Speaker 2: Well, and the TV contracts are doing well for the owners.
Speaker 1: Well, next year, man, that sour CAP's going to go up twenty five million.
Speaker 3: Now, let me show you how this benefits veteran players. Okay, because if you now look at the difference, and I think this is probably something that even veteran players were pushing for because veteran players were getting pushed out of the league because of the difference in the minimum salary for a veteran player versus a rookie in the past, where you you could say basically five hundred thousand dollars if you take the young guy over the veteran guy. This year, seven point fifty for a rookie is the minimum base eight seventy for a player with one year of service. For a player with six years of service, it's one million. There's not that much difference between a rookie and a six year veteran.
Speaker 5: That's what the six year veteran would say when he goes in to negotiate, hey, hey, I got a lot more experience than this guy. Yeah, and this way make it almost the same.
Speaker 3: It's going to keep players in the league longer. Those third year, fourth year, fifth year guys can now stay in the league because a difference in pay has not for a you know, these are core players on your team.
Speaker 5: But you're talking about so the bookies are happy because they have the minimum went up, and the veterans are happy because they get to stay now potentially.
Speaker 3: Now, basically what has happened because free agency has flooded the market so much, is that everybody is making the minimum once you get past the first wave of free agency. That's why you had guys that were signing for one year contracts at the minimum, which is one point one million dollars for these veteran guys.
Speaker 5: Well, Will McLay is pretty good at that, right, Yeah, I mean we.
Speaker 3: Doah, so you have to well and that also and New England has been good at this over the years where it's not necessarily the guys you're drafting this year, but the guys that are going to become available two years from now, three years from now where in your draft preparation you have to get to know all those players because you're going to have an opportunity within three years to acquire one of those players.
Speaker 1: And the other on their benefit too is if you sign these guys to one year veteran exception, you get a break on their base salary, Like you can pay them that much, but it only counts a percentage less And as long as you only give them a small signing bonus, like maybe one hundred and fifty thousand, I think that's the limit. So you can sign guys to veteran exceptions and save some money on the salary cap. And you know what, when it comes down to it, every ten twenty thousand dollars counts nowadays because it's so tight and because you've got to use so many players to get through the season.
Speaker 3: All right out well else from because we have we got able to watch them on a field.
Speaker 1: And we will get to do that again tomorrow.
Speaker 3: That's right. And we've had media availability since the last time we convene. Know, you have filled up your legal pad with so many notes. What what next?
Speaker 1: We got to watch the kicker kick and they did it. Who's the kicker, Tristan Viscayno, so he's the guy now, well he's the only one the guy right now, or as John Fossil said, it's Tristan and everybody else on the planet Earth that's not on another team.
Speaker 3: Sale or female. Right.
Speaker 1: So they did a kicking you know, it wasn't a full rush, but they the only person missing in the kicking operation was the holder. So John Fossil was the holder and they were kicking indoors. So uh on his first oh, I did on his first nine attempts, he hit from thirty three thirty five, wide right from thirty seven, and then was good on thirty nine, forty one, forty three, forty five, forty seven and on fifty one. I don't know what he did, but he just did not hit the ball. Uh, and it was wide right.
Speaker 3: And shit he did he didn't whiff, No, he just didn't hit it.
Speaker 2: Well. It was he hit it two pay like in golf.
Speaker 1: It was it was it was almost like he got fifty hit is fat? Yeah, he is fat.
Speaker 3: It's almost like he the Fossil pulled on Charlie.
Speaker 2: I better stop.
Speaker 1: We got got the fifty yards in his head, right.
Speaker 2: I imagine that Coachy doing crap like that. Everybody's out there watching it.
Speaker 1: Just the kicking because he had he had good pop.
Speaker 3: He had good pop.
Speaker 1: And then when it was fifty one and he was mad. I could see his look on you know, it was like.
Speaker 2: We need it was it was well viewed, right, a lot of people out Oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we saw it.
Speaker 2: He could feel pressure. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So anyway, that was the longest that was. That was the long one.
Speaker 3: And you don't need a kicker with as much pop now for kickoffs because of the new fair catch rule. If he could just pop.
Speaker 1: It up, if somebody's gonna catch, but you got to get it past the twenty five.
Speaker 3: Well they can get it past accurate, but you don't have to get it into the end zone. You got to be accurate though, right, you can't kick it out of bounds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll take accuracy. Matt Barr was accurate. He couldn't kick long, right, he was accurate.
Speaker 1: Because the idea is they just give me, give me.
Speaker 2: My point, give me my sweet spot, and I'm gonna make it. Can you kick?
Speaker 1: Can you kick it? You know, to say the three yard line or the five yard line between the hash and the sideline and pin them in a corner and then your chances of covering it are much better. Well, now, if you do it, you know, guys can just say okay, fair catch and I get the ball to twenty five. So but again, the kickoffs, you would like the percentage of him to be touchbacks, a high percentage, and you got to be pretty good.
Speaker 2: Can he can he reach the end zone?
Speaker 1: All? I haven't seen that. I think, Oh yeah, I'm sure he can't. Okay, but again I'm sure that you know, at some point they'll sign a veteran guy or somebody to come in here and check. We got somebody for you, somebody new.
Speaker 3: Yeah, producer supreme. Other than producer Supreme. Chris Beam just notified me of a guy who could be a wild card in this search for a kicker. Have you ever heard of Harry Kane, English Premier League. My son in law Collins favorite team, Tottenham Hotspurs. In fact, he gave he went and watched one of their games over in England just last week and got me some souvenir Hotspur socks. Harry Kane on Good Morning America This Morning says he wants to explore life as an NFL kicker after the after the Premier League? Is he going to retire from the Premier League. It's something I'd love to do.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's something that It's something that Jack Jones would love to explore.
Speaker 3: I bet Harry King would come in here and try out to be a kicker.
Speaker 1: One thing.
Speaker 3: When he makes a lot of money in the English Premier.
Speaker 1: League and when they kick in soccer, they just blasted right, there's not two little uprights saying okay, now you kick it between They just got a quick kick it.
Speaker 2: Ask me about asking to talk to Brett one hundred yards.
Speaker 5: He talked to Bread if we can find Brett with Brett?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Brett, Well, he was in Denver last week and they did not sign him.
Speaker 2: Still, I think, jeez boy, that was.
Speaker 3: Quick producers supreme. I I just looked up Harry your salary.
Speaker 9: I don't know the exchange rate, but I know it's it's definitely higher. He's making ten point four euros right ten ten point four million euros right now playing frostsper which is like I don't know, I know it's in dollars, it's higher, so basically it's probably making about fifteen million.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think he's gonna get the Cowboys get ten point nine million available come Friday.
Speaker 1: And what did you say the minimum was for our first year player?
Speaker 3: That's right, seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars. Come on down, Harry Kane.
Speaker 2: Kenzik Cook?
Speaker 1: Oh can he kick Kenzink too?
Speaker 2: To Zinke Canny kick?
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm sure, yeah, I kick. Help try to do I'm sure Mike could care.
Speaker 3: Tell you what that fan base that that that Premier League's got the young guys, not the Mickey Spagnola's of the world. They're watching every Saturday and Sunday morning.
Speaker 5: Is it because of the celebrity that's the attached to it? Is this the same league where you've got the actor from Canada.
Speaker 2: He's one point owner of the lead of the team.
Speaker 5: Oh there, yes, yes, okay, so they made a big deal out of yeah, thank you Rex.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they made a big deal out of that. Yeah. Yeah, they were being followed.
Speaker 1: But tell him, tell him, make sure he knows though if he comes here.
Speaker 2: The actor is Ryan Reynolds. By the way, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: Newspapers and TVs don't pay for interviews.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, he.
Speaker 1: Gets it's only eleven million there, you know.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's only eleven million the exchange rate, So that's his starting point. Okay, that's good, good idea, all right, Time for another break.
Speaker 1: He's a kicker on this earth, all right.
Speaker 3: And there's more mixed shots coming up in a moment.
Speaker 7: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 4: I'm Doak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. Blockchain dot com is one of the most trusted ways to buy, sell, and trade crypto. Whether you always on the go or stay closer to home, blockchain dot com is just a few taps away put the power of crypto in your pocket, so no matter where you are, you can trade on your terms and build a crypto portfolio to fit your life for cryptopros, rookies, and anyone in between. Blockchain dot Com makes it easy to own a piece of the future. Blockchain dot Com trusted by millions, Trust it by America's team.
Speaker 3: Hey Cowboys, Fins, ready to spice up your next watch party? Bring Yo Kierro guacamole be the game day hero. The Yo Kiro means I want and we know you want. Great fresh tasting, ready to serve guacamolea for your homegating and tailgating events. Made with real avocados and the perfect blend of spices. It will be the star of any party. You can find us at your local Albertson's or tom Thumb in the Delhi section. If you can't find it, talk to your store manager and tell them Yo Kiero, Yo Kierro walkom only.
Speaker 5: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends. Want to stay at the team hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, Tour the Star and talk x's and o's with me Everson Walls with Star Sports Tours. You can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 1: To mixed shots, the schedule is set at limited. Tickets for the twenty twenty three Dallas Cowboys season at AT and T Stadium are available now. Don't miss your chance to see your Cowboys live at AT and T Stadium when they host the NFC East rival Eagles, Giants, and Commanders, plus the Rams, Seahawks, Patriots, Lions, and Jets. Visit Dallascowboys dot com slash tickets or SeatGeek dot com, the official ticketing provider of AT and T Stadium.
Speaker 2: Good jobs, Bagad, All right.
Speaker 1: I almost had to you know what I've started doing now reading the newspaper when I read, yes, well you can you can read online, right. And as I'm reading, I'm editing people's copy. I'm editing, putting in what it should be instead of what they wrote, because, like we learned long time ago, they host host is a noun, not a verb. You play host because you're the host, but technically host is when you host. Yeah when a verb, but yes, but you're not. It's not a verb. As you know when we host it. Yeah, it's not a verb.
Speaker 2: That was very uninteresting.
Speaker 3: Just give you a little insight anything interesting.
Speaker 1: When I read.
Speaker 2: Insight, I would go with air instead.
Speaker 1: Of But we spent five minutes on some soccer player. It sounds like a Vegas drown singer.
Speaker 5: Harry Kings sing.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to skew your audience a little younger.
Speaker 2: No one young people, No one young is listening to this. They don't care.
Speaker 1: Oh yes they do. You'll be surprised.
Speaker 9: Even though most punters are coming over from Australia to punt in the NFL.
Speaker 2: Huh, well, bring him on.
Speaker 3: There's been a lot.
Speaker 5: How much money are they looking for, that's the thing. Are they getting paid over there versus what punds get paid over here?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I doubt it.
Speaker 1: Bunch coming through, Okay, so you want to know what else I got them?
Speaker 2: Yes, please tell us, please save us.
Speaker 1: This guy's another English lesson. This is I've got a bunch if you need them.
Speaker 2: By the way, Grammar.
Speaker 1: Try to even try to help out their TV guys, right, go ahead, so one Kelvin Joseph, Yes, my guy saw him out there when they went to Nickel and he was working in the slot. About that.
Speaker 2: I saw that last week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we'll see. They're giving the opportunity. You know what, it's not, well, frustrating is not the word. But when you see him out there, he's got great feet, man, and he's got great speed. Now if he just learns what he's supposed to do right, because there's a lot of talent there.
Speaker 2: So in the slot.
Speaker 5: I wonder if the Cowboys can can simplify it a little bit more for him. Is there a way to do that so that he can just play instead of thinking because you can't see it, and I tease about that's my guy, But I can see the potential. Of course, we know about the mistakes, the mental mistakes, but you can see the potential in this guy. And I see why they signed him. I just want to see him come through, you know. I want to see him.
Speaker 1: You know, you know his biggest problem is he hasn't played that much football. You know, he didn't play that much at LSU. He transfers sits out a year, didn't play, and then plays a year and gets towards the end of the season and decides when I got to protect myself and I'm sitting out and then he gets here and he didn't get many defensive snaps, So hey, you just need.
Speaker 5: To if they think he's worth it, they should have signed someone to watch film with him, because playing defensive back, he's got the instincts, you know, he has that.
Speaker 2: He just needs the knowledge right and it.
Speaker 5: Shouldn't be that hard to be able to just sit down with him one on one and show him exactly. First of all, when I coach the kids, I tell him these are the things we don't do first. Now you cannot do this, okay, and you go from there, you dumb it down from there, don't do this.
Speaker 2: Then you got all this other stuff available to you.
Speaker 5: That should be a way to approach this guy, because one, once again, he's got just as much talent as anybody in the secondary.
Speaker 1: And if he could just use it not be so jumpy. Yes, the other thing at corner that I noticed is uh my dark horse Eric Scott. Yes, yes, there was a couple of times I saw that with Trayvon Diggs not there. He got a couple of snaps with the first team defense on the right, Stevon Gilmour on one side, and he was on the other for a few snaps because they were using the Sean Wright over there quite a bit.
Speaker 5: But yeah, when you when you have the depth of this secondary and then you go straight to him, Yeah, when Diggs is not there, that's pretty good.
Speaker 1: Tom didn't put you out there.
Speaker 2: Well I was over there playing with myself.
Speaker 3: But he wasn't a draft.
Speaker 1: Pick, that's right, and not one that they traded up to the first pick in the sixth round. So we got to remember that. And uh uh. And he looked right too. He's a I think they listed to him at six ' one.
Speaker 5: He just looks like he has he has their awareness about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so did see that. Matt will let's go, who basically missed all last year. They had him working at left tackle with the kind of the second team guys. Tyron Smith was at right tackle with.
Speaker 2: Really with the first team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was out there and he was participating too. They kind of held Zach Martin out. Terrence Steele was out on the field but he's still rehabbing.
Speaker 2: And who was on the left tackle.
Speaker 1: Some guy named Tyler Smith. So this is it's where he's going to be. This is I think. So that's crazy and we'll see what happens, and not as much as.
Speaker 5: Tyler Tyln tyronn over here that.
Speaker 1: That's right and we'll see what happens. And Matt Farniac was at left guard.
Speaker 5: You know, when I went to the Giants, I realized that I was a better I felt more comfortable on the right corner than the left corner after playing left corner here all my career, because I guess I'm just more comfortable on the right side, you know, from playing different sports and things of that nature. And maybe Tyrant has figured out the same thing.
Speaker 1: Also, the supposedly defensive end from Florida A and m Isaiah Land, he was playing linebacker. Just what I thought they would.
Speaker 2: Do with them. What's going on with Marquis.
Speaker 1: He's still at safety and he you know, they were changing everybody. Marquis Bell, Marquise Bell is his teammate. Interesting and I can't remember if we talked about it last week or not. When we talked with Dan Quinn, he said he first noticed Isaiah Land when he was scouting Marquise Bell.
Speaker 2: And he saw him and.
Speaker 1: That would have been his big year when he was a junior, when he was the FCS Defensive Player of the year and he said so when he when they got to the combine and guys were working out or whatever, and he said he called Marquise and say, hey, what's up with this dude? You know, you know about him and he said. Marquise said he's a dog and he said, I kept yeah, And he said, so I kept an eye on him. Now, they didn't draft him, but they surely went after him right away, and and and dan Quinn talked about how you know, you have to have a vision for guys, and he said, my vision was I've got a guy that can rush the quarterback but looks like a linebacker and he's like two twenty five. So at times and they were working like two sets at a time, the veteran guys over here, the rookies on this end, and they had overshone in Land playing linebacker with the young guys. Yeah, look it looked good. Now we'll see, you know, obviously we have to qualify everything we saw with helmets, jersey, shorts, no contact, but just you can see how guys move, right, he can tell. So, yeah, it'll be interesting to get another look tomorrow when they get back out there. Michael Gallup was running really well, catching the ball. They were doing some drill and they were throwing the ball into the end zone and it wasn't against anybody was just catching the ball and the ball was overthrown and he just reached out with one hand and grabbed it and brought it in.
Speaker 5: You know, you think about Michael Gallup, He's got to be one of the most important guys on the team.
Speaker 1: I think so this year he'll be good. Good we got a tour.
Speaker 2: Number two receiver.
Speaker 5: That would be so cool him coming back the way he was, because before his injury, we saw him do some crazy crazy stuff, right, I remember him going down the sidelines for a touchdown. I don't know how he did it, almost like it felt like look like he tried to almost caught wheeled himself into the end zone one time. And so his balance, his athleticism before that injury, it was it was pretty freaky.
Speaker 3: I like the fact that they're using him in a variety of rights.
Speaker 1: Now, moving them around and Cooks can do the same thing. He can play inside outside, and he is as quick and fast as advertising have.
Speaker 2: They been walking Gallop in the slot.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that I saw him line up in any of those but again.
Speaker 5: And see that's the thing about the receiver. You give him an advantage if he can play different sides and of course play the slot right, and you can't be predictable.
Speaker 1: And you almost got if he can, and you've got three receivers that are totally interchangeable. That's because you know CD can go inside. Yes, So yeah, that part looked pretty good, seeing what he can do.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then one DeMarcus Ware was hanging around helping the guys with some of their pass rush, teaching them things, and and he looked good. I was like, come on, you don't need to go in the Hall of Fame. You could still play, right. He goes, well, I showed those young guys that I could still get around him. So he shows when I can do that. Then they listen, Uh that he was talking about how the process is really something else, sitting there posing for them to make his bust. But he's all in, he goes, they keep me busy. So so one more OTA practice and then the following week is mandatory mini camp. But I would imagine the amount of physicality will be about.
Speaker 2: The same powderpuff.
Speaker 3: So are you surprised at all that the Cowboys haven't brought in a young developmental quarterback.
Speaker 1: I thought they might.
Speaker 3: As you look at the Cowboys quarterbacks with Dak turns thirty in July, Cooper Rush turns thirty in November, and then Will Greer he's twenty eight years old. They don't have a quarterback on their roster under age twenty eight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and all they did for the rookie mining camp was bring the guy in for a workout and then they didn't bring him back for the OTA.
Speaker 3: So clearly there's not anybody that they right, you know. And I just did a little search through all the rosters and there's probably about ten teams in the league that ten to twelve teams that only have three quarterbacks on their roster. And maybe some of that too is they're not doing much in the off season, you know, but maybe they're waiting maybe during the season there's somebody they like who gets let go of whatever. As far as a practice squad type.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because you don't need to know the system. He just needs to come in and be a practice player.
Speaker 3: I mean, you're looking at someone like that for the future, so developmental for them, but clearly there's nobody that they really like. Beyond, you know.
Speaker 1: And you know the NFL is trying to help out with the new rule that you can have the emergency third quarterback not count against your game day actives.
Speaker 3: But again, now the rule on that, though you is he has to be on the fifty three.
Speaker 1: Yes, cannot be out of the practice Yeah.
Speaker 3: He's not. Can't be a call up from the practice squad.
Speaker 1: So, I mean I went back and look, I was trying to refresh myself. Greer basically was on the fifty wasn't. He was on the practice squad the first week of the season, and then he was on the fifty three all the way through, So he was already on Because somebody asked the question, will this cause teams to keep a third quarterback on the fifty three instead of the already doing it here? But they were already doing it here. Because you got to be able to figure out if I waive him to get him on the practice squad, is somebody else going to grab him from me? You've got to be pretty good at deciding how that.
Speaker 3: And if you look around the league, there are teams that I think would pick up Will Greer.
Speaker 1: I think so too, you know, I mean there's barely enough quarterbacks to be a backup. I mean the fact the fact that I just went through rosters and I found about twelve teams that only have three quarterbacks on their roster in May tells you that there's the pickings are slim as far as quarterbacks unless you're waiting for the USFL.
Speaker 3: And I looked at it this morning. I looked at the USFL rosters and they got guys that are thirty four years old starting quarterback.
Speaker 1: And the XFL.
Speaker 3: The XFL have enough quarter because I was thinking, well, maybe they're looking at a guy that's playing in the USFL that they might sign after the season's over. And I didn't find it.
Speaker 1: Nothing caught your attention. But they could quarterbacks, not enough of them out there.
Speaker 2: I'm a cornerback. I don't.
Speaker 3: Are you surprised they only have sixteen cornerbacks on there.
Speaker 5: I'm surprised you got the fussing about not having enough quarterbacks?
Speaker 2: Who cares?
Speaker 1: Who cares better for you?
Speaker 3: Right? Well you'll care come October.
Speaker 2: Have you ever heard of Hector High School out.
Speaker 3: Of Actor Odessa Actor? Yeah? It now defunct high school?
Speaker 2: I think true.
Speaker 5: My cousin, he's come to hang out with me today. He was on that nineteen seventy two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, championship squad had Odessa as a starter.
Speaker 2: Old Mitchell he was the man. He ended up going to Texas Tech and met, of all people, Bill Parcells. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Parcells was a defensive.
Speaker 2: That's right. Yeah. Wow, he's upstairs waiting on me.
Speaker 3: He probably knows the Shepherds.
Speaker 5: Of course I knew them Tony four. I know the that's the uncle, and I was in.
Speaker 3: Love Woody Shepherd and Darryl Shepherd.
Speaker 5: Was in love with the Unfortunately the mother died. I was in love with her when she was we were both like ten years old.
Speaker 3: Of course, of course that's a sterling Shepherd's family, Derek Shepherd. They're all from Odessa.
Speaker 2: I knew them way back then.
Speaker 1: So Parcells was there with Steve Sloan was the head coach, that's right, because I remember the story. Steve Sloan left there to go to Old Miss and when I was working in Jackson, he was at Old Miss and Parcells didn't want to go there and he went Vanderbilt. Maybe it was I think, or was it Vanderbilt?
Speaker 3: I think you remember that. Did Sloan may have gone from Vandy to Tech.
Speaker 1: Yes, and then too, oh, yes, that's right, and.
Speaker 3: So Parcels was that's yeah, what's the connection?
Speaker 1: And the story was Bear Bryant told Steve Sloan because he was Alabama and he was like Bear's son, and he said, take that job. It's a it's a it's a job killer. And sure enough you got fired third year or second year.
Speaker 2: I was there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he got fired because they couldn't recruit. They were getting out recruited because they have money. No, they were late to the game on integrating their football.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, yes, that's what I was going to say.
Speaker 1: Oh and the negative recruiting that was going on by the other schools, Oh my, And you just couldn't overcome it. Cutting over come Colonel Rail, you couldn't overcome playing Dixie's just amazing when.
Speaker 3: I got that's why the Shepherds wound up at Oklahoma because Barry Switzer was ahead of the games as far as grading you very proactive. That's right, all right? Does it? For this addition of mix shots back to our regular time for our final off season edition of mix Shots on Monday right, make you have a quizzical look.
Speaker 1: June fifth, right ye, ahead of the mini camp started.
Speaker 3: That's right, will We'll always ahead of the main camp free camp on the next edition of Mix Shots, See Them Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.