Speaker 1: It's the Son of a Butcher podcast. We come to you every Wednesday. I am your host, Claude Harmon. This week's guest Scott Vincent, been playing the last two years on Live and I think it's one of the kind of cool, feel good stories. Here's a guy that was playing the Japan Tour, had status in Asia, won a tournament, got into the first live event in London last year, and I spent the last two years playing his golf on Live. But I think there's been so many stories and so much stuff written about money and excess and all of this stuff. But I think Scott's story is one of the stories that doesn't get talked about. A lot didn't have big time status and wanted to try and use live as an opportunity to play in better tournaments and play against some of the best players in the world. And that's what he's done. He had a breakout year this year. He'll be playing on Live next year. So he has a very unique story on how he got to professional golf from Zimbabwe. But before we get to that, we want to talk about our friends at AG one. If you're a regular listener to the pod, you know that I've been drinking ag one for about a year now. Why did I start doing that? I really wanted to try and work on my wellness, my eating habits, and as soon as I started drinking AG one daily, I noticed a massive, massive spike in my energy levels. Why. That's because ag one is a foundational nutritional supplement that supports your body's universal needs like gut optimization, stress management, and immune support. Since two thousand and one, ag one has led the future of foundational nutrition, continuously refining their formula to create a smarter, better way to elevate your baseline. Help listen, I've talked about this. I travel an enormous amount. I'm probably on the road over twenty weeks a year.
Speaker 2: It's hard for me to have the same kind of fitness and you know, wellness regimen that I have when I'm at home.
Speaker 1: And that's what ag one has really done for me. Because I've said this before, I don't I don't need a lot of vegetables I should, But since trying out ag one, it's it's made a massive, massive difference and it's something that I think you can do as well. Ag one is the supplement I trust to provide the support my body needs daily and that's why they've been a partner for so long. If you want to take ownership of your health, it starts with ag one. Try ag one and get a free one year supply of Vitamin D three, K two, and five free AG one travel packs with your first purchase. That's what I do. Take it on the road with me. Go to drinkag one dot com backslashch three. That's drinkag one dot com backslash ch three. Check it out if you want to improve your daily health and fitness regiment. So let's get to a really really cool interview with Scott Vincent. I really enjoyed it and I think you will too. Scott, let me see if I've got this straight. Born in Zimbabwe, live in Colorado. Up until two years ago, you're playing on the Japan Tour. There are strange journeys that people get on to play this game, but competitively. And you played golf, U College, Golf, Virginia Tech. So you've been kind of all over the place, spend some time on the Asian Tour. In the last two years you've spent on Live but the journey to get to where you are now Zimbabwe believe it or not. A rich history of Nicky Price, one of the greats of professional golf. How did you get out of Zimbabwe and first of all get to Virginia Tech. We got to start there.
Speaker 3: Hey yeah, I mean Nick Price had a huge influence in Zimbabwe golf and I was part of his academy growing up and that that played a huge part in my development coming through. Amazing coach called Roger Bayless who helped get us all started, and just one of those guys that did it for the love of the game. He didn't care that he made nothing from it. He was just happy to pour into and yeah, help help get all the fundamentals right, help help develop us young kids coming through, and just anyone that had a passion and was willing to work, he was happy to give the time. So a huge I give a lot of credit for him and getting my career going.
Speaker 4: From there.
Speaker 3: There was a connection with Virginia Tech, so I was probably the fifth Zimbabwan to go there. Brendan Deong is one of the better known guys that went there, but the McDonald brothers myself, Sean Farrell was another one. But yeah, Brendan's obviously the top guy that made it from Virginia Tech onto the PGA and had an amazing career, And so that was kind of the connection. But how I got scouted was through the Orange Bowl that happens every year in December, Okay, just a great spot for international kids to come and play and get some exposure and see college coaches come down and have a look. And so that's where the coach saw me and obviously like what he saw and wanted me to come out.
Speaker 1: Was it a big, big move to come from Zim to Virginia Tech, Because I mean that is a law. I mean, South Africa's a long way away. Zimbabwe's can almost seem like it's even further away. Was there a little culture shock when you got to play college golf? You're playing Division one, You're playing in a big program. You know, Virginia Tech has a massive athletic program as well. Did it take you a while to get adjusted?
Speaker 4: It was a huge shift.
Speaker 3: The culture of the food, the people, just how they studied as well. Like I never had a computer growing up, so everything's done on a computer. So I got my first computer, had to learn how to type, spent the first year basically just trying to figure out how to use this thing. And then yeah, I mean, I mean college was amazing. Like like you said, Virginia Tech has a huge athletic program, and obviously golf has been fairly successful too, but yeah, it was.
Speaker 4: It was incredible.
Speaker 3: I loved I loved every moment that I had at Virginia Tech. And funny story because it ties in with liv golf, is my very first college tournament was at rich Harvest Farms.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, that lives played the last two years.
Speaker 3: Played there the last two years, and obviously coming from Zimbabwe where the courses are very different to playing this course, which is a really strong, big golf course that can host a major, you know. Essentially, I remember coming off of that tournament calling my dad and saying, I don't think I'm good enough to play college golf.
Speaker 4: Maybe I should come home.
Speaker 1: Maybe because of the golf, Because of.
Speaker 4: The golf course.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was just so big, and I hadn't played a golf course like that where you're not hitting wedge into every single hole. It's like now you're hitting four, five, six signs or woods into holes. And it was just something that I and even now as a professional, you play that course and you have a better respect for it because of how tough it cam play. So funny that then we go back and play it as a live player now and okay, it feels a little bit different because you've gotten used to the style and your prep works different. Maybe you developed a bit more as a player, and yeah, it's just kind of done a full circle, which is quite funny.
Speaker 1: So you turn prone twenty fifteen. Did you go to Q school and the usual routes that everybody tries to take you try and go, you try to get on the PGA Tour. If you don't get on PGA Tour, you're trying to get on corn Fair, corn Ferry, go to Europe Asia. What was which qualifiers and qualifying schools did you go to?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so first off, I wanted to do the typical route, go through corn Ferry, went to Q School, got through I think pre quality, then didn't get through first and so it's like now what? And so I was playing a bit of mini tour stuff and picked up very quickly that this is not what I wanted to do and just or not play on mini tours. I needed to play a full season somewhere and just by chance, a buddy reached out to me and said, hey, we're going to do Asian Tour Q School, you should consider it, and I was like, nah, I want to be in America. You know, I've spent time in America. That's where the best are. I want to be out here. I was like, Okay, well, I've got nothing else to do in January. Let me go and give it a shot. Go win first stays and finished fourth in the final stage of Q School. Full talk art now and playing out there. Amazing players, huge culture change as well, out of your comfort zone.
Speaker 1: And very different. I mean Asia. I think out of all of the tours, scott probably has the most diverse types of golf courses, types of grass, types of conditions that you're com playing. I mean to me, the knock on the PGA Tour and the corn Firy Tour has always been but I think the golf is very similar. Right, You're always going to play in pretty good conditions, You're always going to play in pretty good weather. And back in the day when I when I started playing, you know, started working and working with players. I went to work on the European Tour and Trevor Immlman was, Yeah, I've had him on the podcast. He's one of my good friends. Trevor was the first person I work but back then it was Trevor Adam Scott, Sergio Garcia, Ian Poulter was they were choosing Europe as a way to kind of cut their teeth, and I thought the same thing again, Europe, You're gonna have to learn how to travel, You're gonna have to learn a lot of different golf courses, different weather conditions. But Asia is a completely different kind of That's a whole nother. Like you said, the culture shock of the travel, the culture shock of the food there is. There is so much more I think to being a competitive professional golfer and making it then what people think it is. And I think one of the great things about going and playing time. I mean, Brooks kept a Brooks played in Europe. He didn't take the traditional route, he missed in the US, didn't get his US card, missed European Tour school, and then got onto the Challenge Tour. What do you feel like those type of experiences did for you and how have they helped your development not only as a player, Scott, but as a person as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it has a huge impact. It just it opens your mind up and you play against different people with different styles, and like you said, the foods and stuff are just nothing that we're used to in America. And to be honest, like I love it, I miss it at times. The camaraderie of the tour. It's one of the friendliest tours I've played on. But like you said, you know, you're playing on golf courses where you have no idea what you're going to. It could be perfectly fine in pristine, amazing or one of the words golf courses you are gone to. But regardless of that, it was you know, I'm here for a reason. I've got to figure that out. I've got to come play my best, give my best effort and learn something and try and put a good result in And so that that was the cool part of that is that we all did that together. We all kind of jumped on similar flights off we went, stayed in random places who knows where, and just got on with it. There wasn't much to complain about it. We just we just kind of plodded along. That's we were all on the same boat, which was cool, you know, there weren't these big names or little names. It was we were all doing the same thing. And yeah that what that does is it just develops you as a person as a player. You learn a lot about yourself and it develops your game. Of course, you're going to learn different shots, different different ways to play. And Asia Asia really helped with that. And and through Asia, you know, I got access to the European Tour as well.
Speaker 1: And you Rookie of the Year in twenty sixteen on the Asian Tour. So you come out of college, you miss where you want to play. Everybody wants to play on the PGA Tour. Everybody wants to play in America. That's where the best players play. But you say, okay, I've got so a lot of players I think, Scott that I find interesting is they don't do what you do. Their dream is to go, Okay, I want to play the PGA Tour. I don't make it on the PGA Tour. Okay, I want to play the corn Fairy. And if you don't meet those two targets and those two goals, then I've seen so many players say okay, well everything now is is a come down, right, Everything now is kind of it's kind of beneath me because I thought I was better than this, and I really don't want to be And I see a lot of players in go they get status somewhere else, but because they didn't get status where they wanted to, they struggle because it's almost like they self sabotage. They were like, oh, well, I'm too good to be here, so I'm actually not going to go out and do what you did. Is okay, I'm in Asia now, I want to play in America. I want to play on the PGA Tour. But what you did was you went out and you're Rookie of the Year in twenty sixteen. So you go and have a really good, solid opening year of professional golf. What do you feel like that first year on the Asian Tour where you were Rookie of the year. What did you learn about yourself and what was the jump from Okay, I played college golf, played four were you there for four years? So four years college golf Division one, So you know how to travel, you know how to do all of the stuff. But then you go and you don't have the success that you wanted to have them, you know, by getting onto the PGA Tour, getting on the corn ferry, you go to Asia. You weren't planning even to go to Asia. Then you go out, you get through first stage, you win first stage, win first stage, and then basically finished top five. So now you're fully exempt. What do you feel like was the jump from college golf to professional golf that you kind of noticed and went, Okay, this is different now, is it? Or is it just golf? And you go into the mindset of saying, listen, even though this is Asian Tour, it's just golf.
Speaker 3: It I mean, in the simplest form, it is right, it is just golf. But I think from a personal level, you have to start owning it yourself. It's like, Okay, here's where I'm at. What's the best I can do with where I'm at? And how am I going to get to those big dreams that I have? Obviously the plan A didn't work out, But as we know, like as we've seen with so many other players, there's so many different ways to get back there, and different journeys develop different people differently, And mine's being a little bit different in that I've gone through Asia, tried a bit in Europe that didn't work out so great, come back to Asia, gone to Japan. But it's just been a cool journey of just me learning more about who I am and what I am like as a player, and how I can continue to figure out ways to optimize that and be better. And yeah, like you said that first year, I mean it's quite a few years ago, and trying to remember a little bit more of it. But obviously that was a validating moment in my careers. Okay, yeah, we you know, we came to college, we figured that out. Okay, we were good enough for college golf. Now it's another level up. You know, not many people get to chase their dreams at the professional level, and you don't know if you're going to be good enough.
Speaker 4: Obviously you have big dreams.
Speaker 3: And you want to be good enough, and you're dreaming of winning majors and playing at the highest stage. But is that going to be a reality. You're not sure. And so going to Asian Tour maybe getting Work of the Year was a little validation. It's like, okay, good, that was great. Now how do we move on from that? We continue to look at ways to improve and get better.
Speaker 1: One of the few Western players that played in Japan. There's the Asian Tour, which is crazy on to itself, and then there's an entire another world which is golf in Japan. And for people that don't know, it's hard to find a country more obsessed with golf than they are in Japan. And the Japanese Tour is very, very specific, and then you go into a completely another cultural shock of the food in Japan. If you don't speak Japanese, it's a struggle. You've got to get yourself around. How many years did you play on the Japanese Tour?
Speaker 3: So I did two full seasons out there. Obviously I've got a little messed up with COVID and how that all works, so two and a half something like that, and I still have full status out there. But honestly, Japan's one of my favorite countries. Like once you kind of figure out the little things and how to move around, and it's one of the simplest, most amazing love the culture, love, food's amazing, love so many things about it. It's one country and it's big, but it's small, and so the travel in and around that is just incredible. And I'm excited to be going back there in a week's time to go and play some bill.
Speaker 1: You go back which tournaments you.
Speaker 3: So, I'm gonna play the there's one called the ab ABC event. And then two weeks later I'm playing Doune.
Speaker 1: Phoenix on Phoenix fiftieth anniversary of the Dunlap Phoenix. Brooks is going, Brooks is Goings is going, He's won it twice. Yeah, what's what's playing a golf in Japan like on tour because obviously you're not Japanese, there's a language barrier golf course. I love the look of the golf courses Japan that dormant to where everything is burnt out, and then the greens and the t's are bright, bright green. I love the way some of the golf courses in Japan look.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah they're they're pristine, like they take so much pride in doing everything one hundred percent. Some of the best greens I've put it on and played on their courses are incredible, and so it to me. I loved it because it felt like right, this is kind of a slightly.
Speaker 4: Smaller version of the PGA Tour.
Speaker 3: And so good conditions, great conditions. You know, tons of people watching, so you getting used to the crowds.
Speaker 1: Of television, big stars in Japan, I mean, the the players in Japan that are good are rock stars in Japan, phenomenal. I mean they are. I mean, And it's interesting that you said that because out of all of the tours, and it's funny Adam Scott has said to Scotty loves going to Japan, right, I mean, obviously the unicloth thing now it helps, but Scotty's always gone and played in Japan. And it's interesting that you mentioned that playing professional golf in Japan is probably the closest you can get to playing on the PGA Tour because the crowds are huge, there's television every week, there are big superstars. All the manufacturers have trucks, everybody's logoed up. So I never thought about that, but that playing in Japan is probably as close to being on the PGA Tour from an experience as a player as you can get.
Speaker 4: Absolutely yeah.
Speaker 3: And so seeing that and tasting it's like, this is perfect, This is amazing preparation for I'm trying to get to and just loved it, you know, it depends an amazing place.
Speaker 1: You got your first win in twenty twenty one, Yes, do you remember it?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: What was different? So you get your first really that's your big that's your first big professional wine. I always ask players did you need to play as good as you thought you did to win your first tournament? Or was the experience different? Because I think so many players Scott feel like the only way they're going to win golf tournaments is just to come in all guns, blaze and shoot four rounds in the sixties and it's just going to be this amazing m to shoot sixty three on Sunday or do something special? Was the experience afterwards? Did you have this kind of thought process saying Okay, that wasn't as hard as I thought it was?
Speaker 4: Right on?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you it up so much in your mind and you think it has to be absolutely perfect. And I found that a lot of times just golf in general, there's always a testing point at some point during the round and which way is that going to swing? Are you going to let it swing in your favor or against because you're going to get tested at some point. Obviously the nerves and everything and like that's all that's all part of it. But at some point during the round you're going to face something that's really uncomfortable, really challenging, really difficult, and what are you going to do with that?
Speaker 4: Are you going to let it.
Speaker 3: Linger and affect the way that you're going to finish the day or you just this is all part of the process, and so yeah, absolutely, it was just it was just one of those days where the whole experience and just being in that was just incredible. Obviously, the golf kind of followed, and I did play really good golf.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was. It was cool.
Speaker 3: I had to make a six footer on the last hole to win it, and I couldn't really feel the putter. I was so nervous and stroked it and I went in and it was It was amazing, and my wife was there and so we we had a special moment together. It. Yeah, it was like you said, it wasn't like I had to play absolutely prep golf.
Speaker 4: It was just I had to be there. I just had to experience it.
Speaker 3: I just had to do my opining almost get out of the way and just let it happen.
Speaker 2: Wanted to take a moment and thank our partners at RAPSODO. If you've been listening to the pod, you know that I'm a big fan of their launch monitors, and I really like the MLM. It utilizes Doppler radar, so you can use it with your iPhone or your iPad. And the thing I like about this it's under three hundred dollars, right, so a lot of the launch monitor technology out there a little bit more expensive, and I think launch monitor technology is getting, you know, cheaper and cheaper because different companies like Rhapsoda are saying, Okay, how can we help the regular golfers. Yes, if you've got thousands upon thousands of dollars, there are different models you can buy. You see them on tour. But for the everyday golfer that's just trying to get better, you're going to get remarkable accuracy. You can use this indoor or outdoor.
Speaker 1: It's portable. And the cool thing is so the shot.
Speaker 2: Tracer that we're used to seeing on TV behind all the players shows you the shape of the shot. The MLM has that has performance combines, and again, as I mentioned earlier, under three hundred dollars. I just think if you're trying to get better at your golf, having this type of technology for this price allows you to look at a lot of the same numbers that the best players in the world are looking at. So obviously I work with players that are winning majors, winning tournaments, play all over the world. But when I'm not on tour, I work with regular everyday golfers and I'm always trying to figure out ways that they can get better. And I think for under three hundred dollars, you can use it with your iPhone. It doesn't really take that much to set up. It's simple to use, and you're going to get really, really good feedback and you're going to understand your numbers better. They've reacted my promo code just for listeners. Use promo code CH three for fifty dollars off the MLM plus the Premiere Membership Bundle. The membership unlocks combines as well as session insights, slow motion replay, and video storage up to ten thousand videos. So again, the promo code is CH three for fifty dollars off the MLM Launch Monitor plus the Premium Membership Bundle. Rhapsodo is making fantastic products. I'm a huge fan. Check them out. They can help you with your.
Speaker 1: Game when you get your first win as a professional, right, what does it do for you mentally? Because you've been basically your entire life has been about that moment, right, and you've built it up, and you've thought about it, and you've done all these things to make sure it happened. When it finally happens, what's that experience like for you personally? Do you just kind of go? Do you exhale? Is it validation? What is it?
Speaker 3: I think at that time it did feel like a sigh of relief. It's like, man, I've knocked on the store so many times and it hasn't opened it finally, you know, But I think over the years or a few years on, it's just like this, this game that we're chasing is just so fickle. It like comes and goes and comes and goes, and it's like if if everything's about winning or losing, it's just it's that just seems pointless to me. And so what I'm trying to do is make this more about the person I'm becoming. You know, who am I becoming as a player and as a person. And so that's how I'm trying to judge it more now, whereas back then I was all about winning, because you know, for the longest time, who's the longest person that's finished top ten almost every single weeks and it hasn't won. You know that, everyone said, Scott Viciica, but and so it was. It was just nice to get past that and put that to bed and just move on with me becoming the person undercoming.
Speaker 1: And you won three times in Japan, you want to tournament that qualified you to get into the Open Championship in twenty twenty two. Yeah, and then so you go through like you said, you go through COVID and then you go and then not out of nowhere, but Live happens.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And we have heard so much over the last two years about the money aspect of Live, all of this stuff, all these guys getting the bag. Well, you're one of the guys that is the opposite end of the spectrum from the Brooks, the DJs, the Brysons, who all got a boatload of money, who all made a decision that a lot of people think was largely based on money. Your journey to Live was through the International Series, which lived in a partnership with the Asian Tour to try and have an opportunity for players coming out of Asia to get to live. And you won what I think it was the week before the first tournament in London. You won an International Series event which qualified I remember, I mean you were thrown in first year on Live, three different teams. But the first tournament that Live has in London, I was there. First tease packed, they throw you out.
Speaker 3: With DJ and Phil. Incredible. It's like, who's this guy? That's what I'm thinking as well I can imagine what everyone else is thinking. So just yeah, amazing. Like for me, Live came out of absolutely nowhere. I was playing in Japan and I thought, let's go play this one in London.
Speaker 4: Lives so much.
Speaker 3: It's it's a nice person, it's it's in London, my sister live, well outside of London, my sister lives there. And win that and it's like, oh, you're heading to the live of it next week. I'm like, okay, cool, what's that? And so yeah, just came out of nowhere.
Speaker 1: Was the decision to say, okay, I've got on to a live event. I can play all eight this year. Was that a big decision because I think so many people that are listening, we've heard so much on both sides, right, We've heard the tour side of things, We've heard live side of things. I actually think people are tired of hearing about it, right because at the end of the day, it's golf, right, but not everybody, not everybody chose to go to Live and it was a money grab for you. I talked to Wayde Ormsby about this as well. Who's one of the livers or it's an opportunity for me to play and somewhat try and climb up the ladder that guys like DJ and Brooks and Bryson and Phil they don't have to climb up the ladder. Now, there were times at their career that they did, but there were a lot of guys that I think went to Live that have gotten tarnished with this brush that you're a sellout. So you're just looking for a place to play and trying to find a tour where you can get a foothold, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I you know.
Speaker 3: One of the things is that we want to play against the mists in the world, and like in Asia and Japan, we don't get to see these guys very often.
Speaker 1: A couple times a year, Like you said, Dunlap, Phoenix, there might be maybe Ricky Fowler comes over. There's maybe one superstar from the US, but a lot Live gets beat up because everybody says it was worthless. It was worthless. It's worthless. But as a player, you're looking at the caliber of players that have come over to LIVE and you're like, wait a minute, I can go play with multiple major champions and currently when Live happens last year, you're looking at playing against arguably one of, if not the best player in the world at the time, Cam Smith. When Cam finally came over and decided to play, DJ Brooks, Bryson, Phil, Matt Wolf, all of these guys. You have this opportunity to say, listen, I don't get an opportunity. I can't get on a tour like this unless I qualify for the PGA Tour, even Europe now, unless it's the Middle East Swing. You just don't get that quality of people. So I know a lot of people think, oh, the Live fields are bullshit and the players aren't any good. But somebody like you, you're looking at that, going, this is an opportunity of a lifetime for me to play against some of the best players in the world. And then they throw you out in the first one and you get paired with Phil who's won six Majors and you get paired with DJ, who's arguably i mean Phil's he and Tiger are the best players of his generation. DJ's one of the top five best players of his generation and is a superstar. What was that experience like for you? Because you're Scott Vincent from Zimbabwe that lives in Colorado, that plays on the Japanese tour, and then you've got Phil and Dju both flew over on fifty million dollar airplanes. I mean, there's a big difference between what you're doing and what they're doing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like I said, for me, it came out of absolute nowhere. I was just playing an Asian door event the week before, and next thing I know, I'm paid with Phil and DJ, and I'm like, oh, is this even happening? Like why is this happening to me? I'd happily just play off Hall sixteen somewhere and just carry on. But that, like, looking back, that experience is just invaluable. You can't you can't put a price tag on that, Like to hit that first t shot with them, to play the way I did, I actually had an amazing then I played really well. I think I shut three or four under that day, which was incredible under the circumstances. And to rub shoulders with these two guys that I've only ever seen on TV. I haven't seen them in person before, and like, just the whole thing was so cool.
Speaker 1: Was it hard not to fan boy it right and focus on your own game because all of a sudden you're playing with one of the greatest players of the modern generation in Phil Mickelson, who's won you know, so many major champions. I mean, he's an icon of the sport. And then DJ. You know everything about DJ, how far he hits it, the swag, the whole thing. Is it hard in that situation, when you get thrown into a group like that and a big tournament to focus on them and not focus on you because you're, like, man, I get to watch Phil Mickelson's short game today up close. I get to watch Dustin Johnson in a real tournament, drive it close, right? Is it hard to say, Okay, I've got to stay focused on my sub because, like you said, a lot of people go out into that situation and play terrible, right and just go listen. The situation was really big for me. It's a big tournament. I never played in a tournament this big, and then they prepare me with you know, former world number one and two time major champion and you know Phil Mickelson.
Speaker 4: That's that's not easy, no it yeah it was.
Speaker 3: It was something just I think for me in that moment, I was getting very self conscious. So actually I was thinking more about myself and how I was going to look in front of them, which I wish I was more of, Hey, we get to watch this up close and upfront, because I think that's a bit of approach to learning and watching and trying to take in as much. But yeah, once we got going and through a couple holes, you know, I golf, it's a golf and you sittle right into it and the hardcore you got that.
Speaker 1: I tell players like yourself all the time that are new in that situation. It's always that's the same thing. You're worried about what they're going to think about the way you play. And I tell guys this all the time. They don't give a shit about you. They couldn't care if you shot sixty two or eighty. And that's not that's not being rude about them or rude about you. They just they don't care. They're focused on trying to play, and I think a lot of guys in your situation. You get into that situation where you get paired with Tiger, you get paired with Rory, and you know you're like, oh, I don't want to embarrass myself and I don't want to look bad in front of them. They don't They couldn't care less about your game, And that's hard to think like that, but you have to think like that. To be great, you have to not worry about other people and not care how they play.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's funny because like I'll go and play a pro am with someone and that's exactly what they're thinking about me, Like I'm worried about them and how they.
Speaker 1: Don't care less, you're worried about yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so that's exactly how I suppose do it think. Being out there for this year or two years now, you start to realize that a bit more, that everyone is just kind of locked in on what they're doing, and like whether you're shoot in sixty two or eighty two, it's like whatever, you know, we're going to walk the fairways together and have a conversation and carry on with them.
Speaker 1: They do anything in that round, that first round where you were paired with DJ and Phil where they hit a shot or did something where you went, Okay, I'm in the show now, that's that's different. This is a different type of player than that I've been around.
Speaker 4: I mean, they are phenomenal players. You can't quit.
Speaker 3: DJ's ball striking is absolutely incredible. Like the sound it makes coming off the face is just it's just different. And you don't hear that definitely not an Asia because they're not built like he is.
Speaker 1: And you certainly don't hear that in Japan either because to play with a player. And again, I don't think people everybody that watches competitive golf thinks that the players are interchanged. Right, the golf that's played in Europe is the similar golf that's played on the PGA Tour. Right, there are different players. And if you play in Asia and then play in Japan, you don't see someone like Dustin Johnson who's six foot four, who hits it the way that you don't see someone like a Rory McElroy who hits it as far as somebody like Rory hits it. You just don't see that in Asia, and you don't see that in Japan. You might see it from a player, but the player isn't really that good. He doesn't have another box of tools in the toolbox. He Yeah, Okay. You see players in Asia and Japan that hit it a long way. You don't see players like DJ hit it a long way that have been number one in the world, that have won multiple major championships, like a Rory, like a Bill, like these icons of the game. And so when you see somebody like DJ, you just go Does that make you go, Okay, I need to hit it further? I need to get in better shape. Do I need to try? I mean, because there is that thing, Scott, when you play all of a sudden you come from playing Japan and Asia to live to where you're playing against some of the best players in the world, do you kind of go is it imposter syndrome? And you're like, oh, man, am I supposed to be out here? Am I as good as these guys? Am I going to stick to my own game? Or am I now going to try and do something that I can't do? That isn't me?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think I think it's only human nature to kind of go that way a little bit and start comparing yourself to everyone else in it, and I found, at least for me, it's just so deadly like if I start comparing, like why why can't I wedge it like Karen Smith or or public Karon Smith or or I mean, he does so many things really well, and it's just like you can get in this hole where it's like I'm not good, and then you start forgetting what you do well. And so yes, there's a time and a place for picking things that they do and asking them questions and trying to absorb as much information and maybe learn a shut or two. But at the same time, I think it's really important to also realize what you do and kind of stick to your game plan and your way that you operate around the both course and keep that kind of.
Speaker 4: Close to home, because I've gone.
Speaker 3: Both ways and disappeared off down a rabbit hole where it's like I'm just not built to do that, or I don't understand how to do that. Now maybe down the road I will, but just no, so let me not compromise everything that I'm doing just to try and figure out something that someone else is doing. So that comparison thing is is I've got to be very careful of that, but you can definitely learn a lot.
Speaker 1: So three live teams. Last year you were on torqu yep, you're on.
Speaker 3: I was on iron Heads, I believe at one point, and then I think I started on Smash but she won, was the captain for Smash. Yeah, something like that.
Speaker 4: That was before Brooks came Well brooksk.
Speaker 1: So now we cut to the chase twenty twenty three. You go to the irons Heads, Kevin Nah, See Wan Kim, yourself, Danny Lee four point seven million dollars this year. And if I'd have told you last year, Scott that you were going to have the year that you've had on Live this year, because I don't think again, Yes, there's a lot of money that live in the Saudis have been brought into professional golf. And yes, you can make the argument that guys like DJ and Brooks and Phil and Bryson that they didn't need that kind of money anyway because they'd already had these amazing careers and they were already multimillionaires and.
Speaker 4: Stuff like that.
Speaker 1: That was not the case for you, Right, You're not flying around net jets every week, you're not building you know, twenty thousand square foot houses, right, that's not the golf world that you live in. So to have this opportunity to come to make almost five million dollars this year, to be a full year on a live team, regardless of which side of the fence people are that are listening that, whether they're pro live anti live. Your experience and what did you like about the opportunity and what did you feel was different about the live opportunity that was different than having full status on the Asian Tour, that was different than having full status in Japan? How is the experience different for people that are listening that having been a part of.
Speaker 3: It, Yeah, I think for me the biggest thing is that it's completely out of my comfort zone. Like I've I understand Asia, I understand Japan, and there's a comfort level to that. This this whole live thing for me as a player and a person is it's very uncomfortable because it's new territory.
Speaker 1: You're playing in the US, you're playing big tournaments, huge outside the US, You're playing probably in front of more people than you normally play. For me, I mean they get big, big crowds in Japan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But and the courses and the style of courses, and just how demanding it is, just off the tee into the green, on the greens, around the greens. It was just more about am I going to embrace this or am I going to kind of shy away from it? And so we've been working really hard and just trying to embrace these moments because as a player and as a person, you're going to face these things that may make you feel very uncomfortable throughout your life. And I think this year, more than ever, I've embraced some of that a little bit more and just kind of faced it, which doesn't guarantee that you're going to pull it off and do it perfectly fine, but it's going to help you down the road. And so this year was just facing a lot of those uncomfortable situations and moments. And Saudi, for example, was a hugely uncomfortable week for me.
Speaker 1: You know, as you go into the final individual round or tournament of the year and Live was in Jedda, the top twenty four guys on Live are guaranteed their spot for the following year, and then everybody else kind of goes into this kind of pool of players. Some of the I mean, listen I think a lot of people also don't understand the inner workings of Live. There are players that have multiple year contracts, guys like Brooks DJ, they're captains, they've got there, they've got contracts for a long time. Someone like yourself, you're on a year to year opportunity to try and keep your playing privileges. So for you to finish in Jedda on Sunday and basically play your way into another year on Live, it's a massive, massive thing for someone like you at this point in your career.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So, like I was saying, that day was just very uncomfortable. One of the things that I've tried not to do is look at the school board, look at where I'm at. You know, I felt like I've played really well this year, but looking back, I was around thirty first, and thirty first. To get to twenty fourth as a massive jump that you need to make going into the final event and obviously have a great second round where I'm now in the second last group, but again I don't know where I stand over all, and I don't know what I need to do. And I get pulled into an interview and the first thing they bring up is you sitting right now at twenty fourth position, and I'm like, great, the whole thing that I've been trying to do the whole year, it just gets camp is right there accidentally. But again it was perfect for me because then I had to deal with that as well, and so now I know exactly what I need to do and where I need to finish. Now I've got to go play the next day and sleep that night and just deal with everything that comes along with that.
Speaker 1: So No, Saudi golf course is tricky. It's tricky because it's a desert style golf course. If you hit it offline, you're not going to have a good lie. It's wide open, it's very very windy, and on Sunday when you shot or under, it's blowing twenty to thirty. And you get out on those holes near the water. Thirteen, it's always haling off the right. There's water right, it's dead left. Sixteen, it's always haling off the left. What did you learn about yourself? Because then your back's up against the wall right, So then you know exactly what you have to do, right, Okay, So you know that if you're on the bubble going into Sunday, So you're the twenty fourth guy. You know that if you're inside the top twenty four next year, you have full status on life, which is a huge opportunity right now, the amount of money they're playing for to have another opportunity to play, it's massive for someone at this stage of your career, coming from where you've come from, right, coming from the tours that you've come from, playing where you've been playing. So how do you go about that mentally because you're trying not to get caught up in the moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you're trying everything you can, and the moment's there, like you can't really avoid it. So again it's just am I going to embrace this? Am I going to learn from it regardless of how the result comes out or shy away from it? So you know that night was it was a tricky night to get good rest. But again you kind of remember in your your bank of memories that I've played well with not very much sleep. So that's okay, And yeah, we just I just went into the day exactly like I would treat it any other day. Hit my routines take up half the putting greed to do all my putting drills and then yeah, just just cruise through the routines and play. And again, I don't look at school boards, or I try not to because I find that just gets me caught up in results and all over the place. So I'm just playing and I don't really know where I'm at. I just know that this is important right here, So let's start it in. Let's the best shot that we can. And we're not trying to play safe or push or anything. We're just playing golf. And so I played amazing like that whole day, and like looking back and dissecting that round, it's like the cool thing was is that under those circumstances, like a few more puts go in and it's like, I'm actually at a chance where I could win.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you had it on the background, you had a legit chance to win. I mean because the margins were so tight. There was only really there was probably ten or fifteen guys within like one or two shots of a lead. Right, And it was a tough day Brooks. That wasn't he was the leader. He shot zero the day before. He didn't really have his best stuff until late. We made puts when he needed to do. You say to yourself Okay, I've got a game plan, I've got an idea of what I'm going to try and do. Did you have a target score in mind? Did you have any of that or were you just basically saying, listen, I'm just taking each each each shot, each hole as they come.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just each shot as it comes. For me, that seems to be the best way to go. Didn't really have a target number or anything, and it was just less play because like so often is like the round cannot start the way you want, but it can finish even better than you expect, or vice versa. You know, you can start off hot and then it can kind of just get all funky and you just not really finish and take advantage of the holes that you should. So for me, it was just we just play. We just played like this was going to be a great day of learning, regardless whether it worked out or didn't, and grateful it did. And it came down to Sergio's part on the last hole, which I couldn't watch. I don't want to be standing there wishing something on someone else. I just got away and and eventually the news comes that it was good enough.
Speaker 4: So just amazing.
Speaker 1: There are a lot of people that the team element of live. They don't get it. They don't understand it. They think it's a gimmick. They don't think it's real. Your experience of being on the iron Heads this year, what did you like about it and what is the team part about it? How is that different and helpful? Maybe in a way that you didn't.
Speaker 3: Think it's a special bond. You actually like your team is like your family in a way. Like the one thing I really loved about the Ironheads and Kevin and his captain Sye is he just he let us do our golf on our own, like he knows that we're all good enough and he doesn't need to coach us and tell us what to do. He just let us do our own thing, which I really respect and I think that was great. But at the same time, he could bring it in and we could go and play games together, and we could compete and keep it fun, and we went out for dinners, we hung out together. It was you know, obviously a.
Speaker 1: Little bit like I'm guessing, like college golf again, a lot to where you're traveling, kind of staying in the same hotels. I mean, to me, that's one of been one of my favorite things about the experience on Live, which has been vastly different than the PGA Tour, is it does feel a little bit Live. To me, feels a lot more like when I started traveling in Europe on the European Tour in the early two thousands. It was a traveling circus. It was the same group of people, and you mentioned Asia's a little bit like that, because you don't have this massive disparag difference between the superstars and everybody else, right. I mean that's the thing in the US that people don't realize the PGA Tour. It's very different because the superstars, you don't really if you're not a superstar, you don't see these guys, right, You're they're certainly not on the same planes as you are, right, They're not on you know, whatever airline you're taking, because they're either flying with all the other superstars private, So there's a big difference. And I think the cool thing about Live for me is it does feel like a traveling circus, like we're all big, one big family, and that part of it's fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so fun, Like we joke around together, there's internal jokes, and then when you feel another member coming and making fun of when you're defending them, and so it's like, it's just an amazing atmosphere and I think I think it's really cool and special and it's a game changer because golf can be very lonely. You do a lot of things on your own. It's an individual sport, that's just the way it is. But this team thing just adds a different level to it.
Speaker 1: Do you watch as you're trying to not watch your own score, are you watching the team score?
Speaker 3: Yeah, watching how the team's doing, seeing, hey, how's Danny playing today? Okay, good, that's great. Let's you know, let's see we can help out or whatever. And there was something Danny talked about when he had his win in Arizona. He wasn't worried about himself. He was just seeing how the team was doing and we were moving up nicely and that fired him up. So yeah, it's it's cool. It's something else to chick well outside of yourself, which is great.
Speaker 1: So twenty twenty four, do you reset your goals because obviously now you've had two full seasons on lift, so you played all eight the first year, you played fourteen. This year you'll play a full schedule next year. The mindset of going into that first live tournament in London to where you get thrown in the deep end with DJ and Phil and you're thinking, Wow, this is way different. Is the mindset now Okay I feel comfortable. Do you feel like, okay, twenty four is my opportunity to say, okay, now, maybe I feel like I can win, Maybe I feel like I can win more than one time? Is that the mindset moving forward? Do you adjust based off of the two years you've just had.
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think overall, you know, there's still these big dreams and goals that I have personally from a golf standpoint, and so it's just about am I continuing to move closer to those? And I think when I stopped trying to learn and get better, that's when I think my golf career is probably coming to an end. And I think right now, I've just got tons of learning and growth to do. You know, I'm always trying to find ways to get better. I'm like this off season, I'm so excited for it, Like I can't wait to see the changes that I can make going into next year. And I think, just for me, just I'm just trying to get better each and every day. You know, we can learn, we can grow, we can we can find ways to improve, and that that's what I'm going to do. We we do have some goals that we would like to achieve, and I think people would call that crazy, but I think I've got to shoot high, you know, I've got to shoot for staff.
Speaker 4: So we'll see that where that ends up.
Speaker 1: Lastly, you you pot with the flag in. I have no idea how you pot with the flag it Fitzpat Matt Fitzpatrick Fitz does it? Yeah, you pot with the flag in from every distance?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What I mean? Bryson, We've I've talked to his crazy ass about this as well. The rest of us look at that that aren't flag in putters and go, what the hell are you doing? What is the thought process behind the flag in?
Speaker 3: I think it started in COVID when we had to leave the flags in, and then I started hearing some stats backing it up that you actually make more putts. And then I started to find that it was something smaller for me to aim at, and so aiming at the pin smaller than the hole, and so it kind of lucked in my focus a little bit.
Speaker 1: Never thought about that one and that one. Okay, that's that's the first real answer anyone's given me. Okay, all the numbers Bryson tried to give me all that bullshit. It was just like, you're crazy, right, But the focus from and I would imagine from three five those short range puts leaving the the flag in it does give you an extra focus that you're just going to try and hit the middle of the flag right in the cup right. You worry about it bouncing it out.
Speaker 3: It's happened one time, but from what distance.
Speaker 4: It was a longer putt.
Speaker 3: It was like a forty foot putt and it was forty miler, no wind, and it just timed it perfectly when it flag is ending back. So it's only happened once. If it does get really windy, sometimes I do take it out, especially on those shorter ones, but I think I think it's been good to me, so I'm gonna keep going with it.
Speaker 1: Well. One of the cool things about talking to you, and one of the reasons why I wanted to talk to you, is I think over the last two years there's been a lot of divisiveness with regards to live versus the PGA tour and the fans and everybody feeling like they're getting pulled in a lot of different directions. But I think one of the good, really cool, feel good stories about what Lives done has been your story and your journey. For a guy that didn't really plan to go to live, it kind of fell into your lap. You got an opportunity, and you really really taken advantage of this opportunity in it it has been life changing for you. And I said this to you earlier today when I saw you. One of the cool things is when you walked in to the clubhouse and Jetta, all of the players that had finished, all the caddies, everybody, everybody when you walked in stood up and clapped and because they knew that you secured another year that you can tell you know that doesn't happen anywhere else. Your friends that you play with, that you know in professional golf, on whatever tour you're playing, they're happy for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But I think one of the cool things was to see the response of everybody on live from player caddy and all the people associated with it. They were also genuinely happy for you when you did what you did. In Saudi Arabia and secured another year of playing privileges. To me, that was something that was really cool, and I think everybody's really excited to see what you can do next year and listen with as hard as you work, and you're one of the hardest working people I've seen in a long long time. I mean, you put the hours in and I like the fact that I watch you. I'm OCD, I'm a rule. I mean, I need structure, redvant. I take a lot of comfort in the fact that you and your caddie literally every week take up half of the putting green and it doesn't matter what the size is because you've got your process in your drills and you do them every single day. And I think a lot of guys I remember saying to DJ once about the fact that there wasn't a lot of room on the putting green and stuff like that, but he said, you know what, I kind of like the fact that kid does the same thing every time. So that process that you're going through, obviously it's working. I've just never seen anyone set up that many stations on a putting green at a professional event, but it's obviously working. Congrats on a great year and you really looking forward to seeing what happens in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 4: Clud yet appreciate it.
Speaker 1: So that was Scott Vincent, And like I said, I think it's a it's a good story. I think, you know, there are a lot of stories around, you know, what's happened over the last couple of years, and I think everybody has been focusing on, you know, the money element of it, and a lot of you know, the war between PJ tourn Live and whatever side of the fence you're on on that. I think Scott talks a lot about, you know, the decision he made, how it's impacted his life, and he now has opportunities to play in tournaments that he never would have had opportunities to play in, and as an opportunity to play against a pretty strong field each and every week out on Live. Keep an eye on him because I love the way he goes about things and I like his game and I'm excited to see what he can do in twenty twenty four. Thanks everyone for listening. I know it took a couple of weeks off from the pod, had some technical issues, was on the road, but I put a question out on people that you all want to hear for the pod. I'm gonna do my best to try and get them. We've got some great guests coming up over the coming weeks. And thanks for listening. It's always fun when I'm on the road. I get a lot of feedback from people saying listen, love the podcast, and that always makes me feel really really cool. Son of a Butch comes to you every Wednesday. We will see you next week.