Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news, The Stock Movers podcast, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market. Harnessing the power of Bloomberg data. Let's take a look at some of the stocks on the move today. Were joined by Bloomberg's Veldana Hirich Don what are you looking at?
Speaker 2: I'm also taking a look at Amazon because it did say it's bracing for a tougher business climate in the coming months, which really is echoing those concerns that we've heard from a range of companies about tariffs related economic turmoil and how potentially it might crimp consumer spending. And when it reported results earlier this week, it actually posted a decent first quarter, but it said its operating profit in the current period would be weaker than what Wall Street analysts had been anticipating. In issuing its forecasts. It said its results may be materially affected by many factors, including tariffs and trade policies.
Speaker 3: So tarif was only mentioned once in their beliefs too, so you have to wonder, like how much hedging there was around that. Also, take look at Wendy's that's not up by eight tens of one percent, but didn't they cut their forecast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I love talking about a company that maybe you know, we use, or you can just stop by on your way home from work, get get a frosty.
Speaker 4: It shares our.
Speaker 2: It shares our up one percent as of right now, maybe amid this broader rally that we're seeing. But it did lower it sales outlook for the year. And it's just the latest restaurant chain to take a hit from potential consumer on ease about the shaky economic conditions. As we just mentioned, the US is facing a challenging consumer environment.
Speaker 5: It's CEO said, just again, as a reporting from Marko watch US same restaurants sales they fell for the first time since the height of the pandemic. That's interesting. I didn't know it's been on such a strong winning streak. So something has changed maybe so in terms.
Speaker 4: Of the consumer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, important to keep track of, you know what these companies are saying about the state of the consumer, especially something like I said, we can stop buy on our way home from work and pick up a Frosty, but maybe people are doing that less and less these days.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean that's a some way discretionary, right, all right, let's go to do lingo. I'm wrapping it up here. I mean talk about discretionary. You would think that learning a language or using other tools that would be discretionary.
Speaker 4: But that's not CEP sixteen percent right exactly.
Speaker 2: It's soaring today and it's actually one of those stocks that is up for the year. It's up more than fifty percent for the year given including today's gains, but it raised its full year sales and profit outlook. It's cited artificial intelligence offerings it's as helping to drive some of that demand towards its higher priced subscriptions. Shares are up up for the year, and subscriptions for its highest year products, which is called Douolingo Max, continued to grow in part because of these new AI features. I'm a dual lingo user. If I can brag, I have a one eight hundred and twenty seven day streak.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh. Yeah. But language in French? Wow? So are you fluent now? No? WI I wish I were, But I do try to take dealt lessons.
Speaker 2: I do not pay for the subscriptions though, so, but it does seem to be working with some consumers.
Speaker 4: Some people are attracted to these offerings or you the are you learning? Yes, I'm definitely learning. Yeah, it's just taking.
Speaker 1: A long time.
Speaker 4: I see.
Speaker 3: It was just on Open Interest and said that to learn Chinese you got to do like five or two thousand hours.
Speaker 4: But it works.
Speaker 3: You just have to do it and you just basically a lot of people do it, but they don't finish it, and then that's where they don't get the real fluency. It's ever Spanish, it was five hundred hours.
Speaker 4: Really. Yeah, Well, I'm at this streak where I can't stop.
Speaker 2: I can't go back to zero, you know, so I have to do a daily lesson for the rest of my life.
Speaker 1: The Stock Movers podcast from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.