Speaker 1: Welcome into Northside Territory File Territory Networks Cubs Podcast. I'm Sahadev Charma with my partner Patrick Mudey. We are your Cubs beat writers over at the Athletic and Patrick. We are just a little over three weeks away from the trade deadline. The Cubs are somehow still hanging around in this I shouldn't say hanging around. They're in a playoff spot. They look pretty good at times. They are not a perfect team. We know they are a banged up team and the pitching, pitching and pitching is what we're going to be talking about for the next three weeks. I don't know how easy it is going to be to swing a big deal to dramatically change this rotation. But every year, I think you wrote this every year around this time, if if the Cubs are in it, Jed Hoyer is adding to the bullpen or adding in some way helping his team, improving this team, primarily the bullpen looks like a way that they always try to find some way to change things around. If you listen to Craig Council talk every spring training, he talks about bullpens a lot, and it's the same like four or five guys that you're leaning on in April are almost never the same ones come September. I think that's what we're going to be seeing. There's gonna be a lot of interchanging parts over the next three weeks, but maybe as we get closer to the deadline, we'll finally see some of those more significant moves. But that's what we're going to be.
Speaker 2: Watching, and that's the.
Speaker 1: Really the topic for the next few weeks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wouldn't get fixated on like one name or sort of be locked into this idea of the you know, playhoff starter who pitches into the eighth inning type of guy. There aren't many out there. That's not how playoff games are run. And I think there's when you look at just the amount of injuries the Cubs have endured, there are a lot of ways for them to get better, and I think they can be creative and I think that accentuates one of their strengths that they're they're pitching group, the buy in that they get a manager who has a pretty good feel for these situations and how to you know, put guys in positions to succeed. And so I think if you think about a pitching staff maybe one through thirteen, more than can you get a number one starter? Number one a type starter? Like if you look at that, we were just going to talk about this off the air, like look at the standings, Like who who's like a guaranteed seller at the end of the month.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's not. It's not a long list. And and like some of these teams are going to be waiting till the very end, because like the Mets, you'd say, just looking at where they are, you'd say, guaranteed seller. But they're gonna wait. They're gonna wait till the like until they have to make a decision.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Outside of that, it's like you look at the A. Elliotts two teams, it's the Angels and the Royals. The rest are kind of in it. And that's insane. There's some bad like what we thought were like dreadful teams and they're right back in at the Red Sox are a game and a half out of a playoff spot. This is it's a weird year. Uh. The expanded playoffs have changed the way we look at things, and it's gotta be a little frustrating for teams that are obvious buyers because Jid Hoyer can't like fans may be clamoring for him to make a move, but you're gonna be you know, I know they don't like hearing about, you know, sacrificing the future. But you have to think a little bit about the value that you're giving up and right now. To make a significant move on what is it July eleventh, as we record, you have to you'd have to be overpaying significantly. The Tigers aren't gonna want to give up right now, like a team like the Tigers who have you know, at least one maybe two significant uh you know, trade pieces, potential trade pieces that could alter a team's rotation. With Schooble and Casey Mize, they're two and a half games out of a playoff spot. These teams that are built to win now, that are within shooting distance a shouting distance of a of a playoff spot, are are not gonna want to sell unless you completely bul them over, and even then they may not want to. I think it's just it's kind of interesting. Uh it's going. It's interesting to look at where the teams are, but it's going. It just I think it leads to kind of a boring, uh, deadline potentially boring. We'll see what happens in a few weeks. It's not gonna I just don't think it's gonna be busy for a couple of weeks. Still.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we just did a mail bag for the Athletic and you know, there were certain questions that just sounded really pessimistic about the Cubs and really.
Speaker 2: Doubtful that Jed Hoyer uh is going to do anything.
Speaker 3: And you know, I get that to an extent, like we're not out here patting the table like they're they're gonna go get Schooble. I would be shocked if Schoobl's you know, pitching at Wrigley Field in August just not there.
Speaker 4: MO.
Speaker 2: The the distance between them and.
Speaker 3: The Brewers and a first round by I think it's just too too far. No knowing how they operate, and I think they're realistic here of Like to think that they're going to make up like four to five games on the Brewers over the next three weeks is just not realistic. I think they play the Brewers maybe like seven times late August, early September. It's kind of that Labor Day window they've got, you know, two series in a short timeframe. Just given that, you can't expect the Brewers to just like fade and you know, with everything that comes to dealing with you know, expecting them to rip off another ten game winning streak is not realistic. But like getting relievers who you trust to pitch in playoff games is not unreasonable. Getting you know, a competent major league starter who can help you get to October, I don't think that's realistic. I think they have to do some shopping for the future here. This is one of the few times when teams are actually like willing and motivated to really seriously discuss players and make big moves. So we get baseball is such a region sport. You follow your team, We cover one team and some other stuff around it, And so I think sometimes your frustrations with the team you follow are not really unique. That there are probably twenty nine other front offices out there or fan bases out there wondering why you do something. This is just how baball in twenty twenty six works.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was actually a little surprised at how pessimistic some of the questions were, just regarding the team in general, Like some of the questions. It's like the team is playing pretty well all things considered, Like I did not like people get very frustrated with with the bullpen. It's like the bullpen is how is this bullpen even like getting outs at times? Like guys are either overused or really shouldn't be on a team that's contending for the playoffs like these are Like these are a bunch of guys that have been defaid and they're not going to be perfect. Some of these guys have done well all things considered, but they need to add to that area for sure. Whether whether that means like guys getting healthy and coming back and helping the team in the bullpen, or or adding at the deadline. I think that's that's just absolutely a must. And they may not be the most exciting names right a role as Chapman may not be added to this bullpen, but that doesn't mean that you can't suddenly build a really solid to strong bullpen without getting that no doubt stud reliever. Yes, I think it would be nice to get like a nice stud in that bullpen. I'm not sure if that's going to happen. Your point about adding for the future, I think is an interesting one. Can they be more aggressive in that regard. I don't think it makes sense to be very aggressive to go get a rental starter for the reasons we've talked about they are unless they ye make up a ton of ground here and suddenly the odds of winning and getting that winning the division or getting that buy shoot up. I don't expect that to be the path taken. It makes more sense if that guy's available. One thing before we take a break that I just want to mention, like this, this farm system was probably bottom ten entering the season. They've had a good year. Have they had a great year. I wouldn't say that, but they've had a good year, especially with the bats, and I think there's a lot of potential. You know, a lot of guys have kind of shot up the rankings. Obviously, Hartshorn has been huge, Owen Ayers has been really big. Pedro Ramirez who's at the major league level. Now, there's a few guys at that Triple A major league level that are interesting. We had a question about that. Would they move any of al Contra, Pedro, Ramirez, Biasteros or Shaw. You know, I think al Contra is the most likely of that group, but they're all valuable in a sense, some very valuable, and then you have the younger prospects, the guys that haven't hit the big leagues that are intriguing. I think there's enough there to make big moves or small moves and help this team significantly at the deadline. I guess we'll see how if, like the the one move that could completely change things would be that guy that that starting pitcher that is around beyond twenty twenty six. I don't know if that move gets made. Those moves are really hard to make, but you're right that teams do get motivated. And if Jed says, hey, I can give up a little bit more than I'd love to, but I'm getting a guy that can help us win these next two months and in twenty seven, maybe it's worth it. Well, not exactly sure how the lockout affects everything, but we'll see. We'll see what type of move they can make. Let's take a quick break and maybe talk about potential return or what a guy can help, whether someone can help this team. Justin Steele, it is in the latest news on him.
Speaker 4: It's summertime. You know what we do at FT, We look for hacks. How can we feel like we can do it all outside with something that's breathable, something that feels premium. Fabletics hooks us up. I've got the cloud jersey t It is super soft crats, but it works at the gym, it works when I'm on the show, it works when I'm going to meetings. It is the true super utility player.
Speaker 5: Same here. Difference is I got the nice stripe across, so you can have style and also I have versatility because you know what, I'm gonna go to the gym probably in the same stuff that I'm gonna have my meetings in and the same stuff that I'm gonna go out and have breakfast in. So you know what. This is where Fabletics.
Speaker 1: Got me and Kratz.
Speaker 4: Everyone can shop now at fabletics dot com slash foul to get seventy to eighty percent off everything when you sign up as a new VIP. Take a quick style quiz and be sure to select foul when prompted to unlock this offer. This is a limited time offer, so don't wait again. That's fabletics dot Com slash foul for seventy to eighty percent off everything as a new VIP.
Speaker 1: Well, I got to pay attention to where I'm putting things in there when I'm when I'm playing commercials a little bit better there. But you guys love that open so much. I figured I've played for you again. Uh, justin Steele, we've talked a lot about this, Patrick, but there was another update. Uh, and basically a lot of what we've been saying for ever since he had that setback and then took so long for him to start throwing again. How does he get built back up to be a starter? Was just like this flashing red sign for both of us, like, how is this possible? How is this going to happen? We had Jed Hoyer basically say it's not realistic. That was what three weeks ago now, two weeks ago now and Craig Council has set it again and maybe for emphasis, maybe who knows for what reason they're saying this, but it's become clear like how does this guy build up to be a starter? Tell us that you were there to tell me what would council exactly what he was saying and what you're hearing from the road there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think this will probably be a pretty quick segment, quick segment, and I think there is some you know, do you check the comments occasionally on our stories and you know, I just wrote a quick news reefin.
Speaker 2: I was like, is this old news? And it's like, no, Well this was.
Speaker 3: You know, the I think the firmest, most clear declaration of how the Cubs are viewing this situation. And the reason it was news was this past week Justin Steele visited with doctor Keith Meister, who had performed last year's season ending surgery and had diagnosed the flexer strain in late April, and so Steel was cleared to resume throwing off a mound the first week of August. And that to me sounded slower because we've been kind of asking around about this. I mean, you were in New York when, you know, I think Jed made those comments. But Steele had resumed some form of a throwing program at that point. And you know, again it comes with dispute my interpretation that that sounds a little like slower than an anticipated in terms of a first week of August.
Speaker 2: But Counsel's point was, look.
Speaker 3: In that you know examination, you know, nothing bad popped up.
Speaker 2: There was no like.
Speaker 3: Sort of new or negative development. According to Council but there was this go ahead to begin throwing off the mound the first week of August, which is a good development for Justin Steele, who obviously has dealt with a really long road back to get really just back on the radar, and that's you know, obviously frustrating.
Speaker 2: It's been slower than anyone would have hoped.
Speaker 3: But that when I ask counsels like that doesn't leave a lot of time to build back up.
Speaker 2: And he's like, yeah, we've been clear on.
Speaker 3: That, you know, And he's like, it's it's not realistic to think that he's gonna build back up as a starter, and.
Speaker 2: So you know, what is that mean? We don't know, he's got to start.
Speaker 3: You know, we're still you know, got the All Star break and then a couple more weeks before he's throwing off a mound. But obviously Justin Steele is a very good competitor. He broke in as a left handed reliever and did well in that role, and to his credit, you know, pushed for this starting opportunity and really.
Speaker 2: Took advantage of it.
Speaker 3: I think with all this stuff, you know, you have to think about the future as well, Like there's assuming the lockout doesn't last forever. There will be some form version of a season next year that you know. Justin Steele obviously wants to pitch for a long time, so it's kind of balancing that caution and also that sense of competitiveness that he wants to be out there. So I guess, you know, you can't think too far ahead with this stuff. But my takeaway from Baltimore was, you may there's a scenario in which, you know, he becomes an interesting pitcher who could become part of the equation. I don't like putting dates on it, but obviously first week of August you're looking at you know several you know, more weeks from that.
Speaker 2: Because of how they progress.
Speaker 3: You know, when you're talking about bullpens, live vps, you know, presumably a minor league rehab outing because he has not pitched in a major league game since April twenty twenty five. So you know, whether it's this kind of goes back to our previous segment of the trade deadline. It's like you can't really count on like Edward Cobert to come back and be that top of the line starter you were hoping for. You Ben Brown's gonna need a lot of time. Steele is a question mark. You know, Daniel Poalenci is on a you know, should be more of a I believe it's thrown off a mound after the All Star break or at least, you know, going forward with his throwing progression. But they have a lot of interesting names, and not all of them are going to come back and be healthy and perform at you know, one hundred percentile outcomes. But I think as you're going about the trade down on you add a couple of interesting arms, and then you have this whole group of really talented pitchers, and if a couple of them land on your playoff roster, I think you feel a lot better about things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you mentioned the three names Poalencia, Brown and Steel. Obviously we know what role Poalencia has, but you and Brown, I don't know what role they're going to hold. I mean, Stele, it sounds like best the case scenario is multi inning reliever that's still valuable, that can still help. It's not the ideal situation and it's not what people wanted back in March, but it can still help the team. And right now they just need healthy arms, healthy and effective arms. If he can be that for them. They'll take that. Obviously it's not the ideal scenario, but you'll take that. We'll see what Brown can be. We just don't have a timeline on him, so it's hard to say like he can come back as a starter or he's going to be an effective reliever. I just I don't feel comfortable with any declaration there until I know when he's throwing again with some urgency. But that's not there yet. And Poalencia, you know he'll be back eventually, it sounds like, and we know what he can do when he's healthy and feeling good out there, so he's an impactful bullpen arm. We know that when he's right. All right, let's take a quick break and come back and wrap this up.
Speaker 6: This episode is brought to you by FanDuel Baseball Fans. The MLB season is in full swing and FanDuel is giving you a chance to call your shot with daily dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why FanDuel is the home of home runs. So are you ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com slash podcast. To opt in for daily dingers, make your free pick on who's hitting a homer playball swing for the Fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball. No purchase necessary, opt in required. Bonus issued as non with drawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem caller tax one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 1: We've we've talked a lot about pek Er Armstrong. I don't think there's been a shortage of Peaker Armstrong segments. But he just continues to, you know, excel in and do things that we just haven't seen before, or you know, perform in a way that demands attention. I think it was Wednesday ninth he had, you know, another big performance to homer game. He's he's now you know, the Sho Heo Tani injury suddenly opens up a pathway for him to be become an MVP favorite. Ah, he's one of the It's interesting because people still don't there's still pockets of people that still don't see him as a great player, or that he's just too streaky to be great. I don't know. I think he's figured something out. We talked about this. I think it was last episode with the Walks. I think that added to his bag of tricks, kind of makes him this this very special talent that like it's all kind of come together and we're seeing this is what it looks like when in a you know, an elite talent reaches their ceiling. I think that's what we're watching right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's important to sometimes take a step back because like Pete has so many highlights, and there's been so much stuff kind of going around Pete this year that sometimes you lose sight of it. But you know, he's Nation League Player of the Month, and you know the five or six categories, those numbers he put up, you know, we're on par with what.
Speaker 2: Lou gerrig and Babe Ruth.
Speaker 3: Only three three dudes who have done it ever in Major League history.
Speaker 2: And then you know, if Pete had nineteen.
Speaker 3: Home runs and nineteen stolen bases at the break instead of whatever it is now twenty one and twenty three. You know, I don't think that will make a huge difference, but the round numbers of cubs with multiple twenty twenty seasons Pete, Ryan Sandberg, and Sammy Sosa, and that kind of jumped out to me. Not only was he the fastest player to twenty twenty this year, you know, to have years like that when you're this young, it's it's kind of mind boggling.
Speaker 2: Mind boggling. And we've seen the evolution of Pete.
Speaker 3: Council on Friday in Cincinnati kind of reiterated what what you've written, Sadev. What you know, we've all kind of seen that this idea that this is the best version of Pete, but it's a more sustainable version, meaning he's going to slump inevitably. You know, there are nights when you're gonna face a Hunter Green and and not look great, and you're you're going to be be frustrated. You know, he he didn't have a great second half last year, but that his ability to uh stick to a plan, take walks without losing his aggressiveness and and athleticism like that is you know, guys who do that, you are among the best hitters in the game and he's already maybe the best defender in the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a it's been fun to watch this evolution. It's so rare to see this. I believe upset it on the podcast. I know I've written it, but you just don't see guys doing this with their walk rate. We knew he had the power. He showed that last year. That was a development that we were like, oh, this guy has is it's not just okay power, it's pretty special power. We know he has the speed, we know about the defense and now and now he's added this wrinkle and it's uh, it does if he can keep it up. It's the type of thing that you know makes you level off during his slump, so you're not so you're that slump. That hitting slump isn't so detrimental to the team that it's like all you're bringing is defense, which is great with him, it's still valuable, but if he's taking walks too and getting on base, he's a threat. He's a problem for other teams. So just a game changing talent that kind of takes helps take this offense to the level that they're expected to be at, which is among the best in baseball. All right, that's it for this episode. We'll be back with one more this week. Thanks so much for listening to everyone. This is Northside Territory. Make sure to rate, review, subscribe, subscribe to the YouTube channel, and subscribe to The Athletic where Patrick and Iron top of all things Cubs. Thanks for listening and watching everyone. Take care.