Speaker 1: At least, is the Drive with Dale Lolly and Matt Williamson on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and Gold cast in Steelers Nation Radio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, welcome to the Drive. I am Dale LOLLI he is the Matt Williamson and Matt Lots of news coming out of the meetings that are taking in Minneapolis or just outside of Minneapolis at the Vikings facility. The NFL owners voted thirty two nothing to allow players to participate in the Olympics.
Speaker 3: Wow, thirty two nothing. I mean, I don't know how many votes they have, right, and we've talked about this quite a bit this week. I don't know how many players will take them up on it, or you know, what percentage of the roster will be NFL guys, maybe all, maybe one, maybe two. I don't know. I have no clue. I don't really know. I guess I guess I should look into what the rules are, you know, like they can play some dudes both ways. That's interesting. I mean, I definitely think the dedication to spreading the game of football worldwide is strong with the league really strong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, and there will be some other countries that can field teams that you know, they may have more NFL players on some of those teams. Yeah, I might not say American. That's a good point, Like I could see like the Canadian team, for example, there's I don't know, forty guys in the NFL that are Canadians, maybe more than that, maybe less, I don't know the exact.
Speaker 3: That might be a great opportunity for those players. Yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: You know, some other countries may have some some guys that are capable of doing it, but I just think there are some very specific There are some specialized players who do nothing but play flag football in the United States. Oh right, right right, and they may have an upper hand on some of the NFL players because quite frankly, the NFL players aren't gonna have time to try for this.
Speaker 3: That's the thing that you're just gonna have to pick it up on the fly. Obviously there's some extreme overlap, but it's not like.
Speaker 2: The Steelers mini camp is in three weeks. Yeah, the end of the Olympics are going to take place in July. So if every team's mini camp is taking place as it does across the league sometime in June and.
Speaker 3: Then training camps right after the Olympics too. Yeah, you know, like you got to wedget in there. Your only time that you're off. But it is a unique opportunity, and you know, I mean it's pretty cool, you you know, stay Olympic village and go wherever. I don't know. And it's not like these hockey tournaments or whatever, where the rules are basically the same, you know, like you just they are a slight difference, you know, but I think they pick it up quick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm surely of course extreme extreme athletes.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: The NFL owners also passed the rule allowing on side kicks at any point when a team is trailing.
Speaker 3: When they're trailing, yeah, you can't.
Speaker 2: Take take out of the equation. What happened in the Super Bowl where the Chiefs scored with like eight seconds left in the third quarter. They're down three scores or four scores, whatever it was, can't do and they couldn't go on side. If they scored eight seconds later, they could have.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's a weird example because it's so late in the third quarter and you're getting beat that bad in the Super Bowl, But that that might happen five times throughout the course of the year. Yeah, you know, there.
Speaker 2: May be a you know, any you know, team might be down two or three scores in a third quarter and say, hey, we're going on side, Like why not? We can't stop these guys.
Speaker 3: I think it goes out saying but just to reiterate it, I mean, you still have to announce it. There's no surprise on sides because it's a different formation.
Speaker 2: But honestly, the on side kick is actually one of the more exciting plays in football.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, if it was executed correctly, if it bounces it in the air, you know, right, it's it's worth staying around for it. It doesn't happen a lot. But still that's a good rule. I mean, I think they just kind of screwed up the original rule. Yeah why may why limit it to the fourth quarter to begin with?
Speaker 2: I get you know, it was a brand new rule with the kickoffs. You had to kind of figure out what that was going to look like, so they had to have some guardrails there for it.
Speaker 3: But and maybe only you know, the Super Bowl is the biggest instance, but maybe it only happened three or four times in the course of the year. Where a coach is going, oh, I wish I could outside here. Yeah, so it's a small tweak, but a good one.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They also the Lions withdrew their proposal to change the playoff seating or even got to a vote. Okay, I think they realized it, don't We don't have the votes for this, Okay, okay, and we're fine with that, I think. I mean, again, the reasoning behind it was trying to get people not sitting late in the year. But I don't know that would be the end all be all for it, you know. And again everybody wants to throw out the rarities that occur. Right, Well, what you know, this eight win team gets to host a twelve win team. Well that's happened like three times in the last forty years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we cited it yesterday. The Seahawks with a losing record hosting a playoff game has happened once.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, happened one. And I've again, I've seen I've seen the Steelers be on the wrong side of that. Again, an eleven win team had to go to an eight win team. I've also seen the thirteen and three Broncos have to be a wild card and have to come to Pittsburgh. Yeah, which had won twelve games that year they were the two seeds.
Speaker 3: It's not that uncommon for the wild card five seed to have a better record than the four seed. No, but when your.
Speaker 2: Division win your division, that's you know, everybody knows the rules going into the season. Yeah, it's not like they surprise people with this. Somebody said, well, what you know, if a team goes six, and this was on the message board today, if a team wins sweeps its regular seat, it's it's division games and loses all the other ones, they could still win a division. You're not going to go You're not going to see a six and eleven team win a division, No, no, never. The rest of the teams in a division would have to be completely and utterly garbage.
Speaker 3: Right, I mean that that's what never happen, and they'd all have two wins from you anyways loss.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but a six and eleven team, for example, would be if they didn't make the playoffs, we'll be picking like eleventh or twelfth in the in the draft.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, maybe earlier.
Speaker 2: So you would have to have four of the worst eleven teams all in the same vision ten.
Speaker 3: I mean that never ever, it's that's rare than Seattle.
Speaker 2: It's not. It's never happened that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's almost impossible to happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: A point I wanted to make about that yesterday that kind of slipped my mind is unlike other sports, every schedule is an equal.
Speaker 2: He's my point with the whole thing. Mike de Corsi, who writes for the Sporting News today was was Tim Benz wrote about it in the Trib. In the Corsi, who I have a lot of respect for, you know, said he was one of the ones that brought up why should an eight win team host a twelve win team? I'm like, when you when your division, yeah, yeah, you know this is like this. You know, if you want to go to college basketball, which is what Mike primarily does he comes college basketball, then make it a full open NCAT Yeah yeah, yeah. And then the the ACC champion is the five seed because they, you know, somehow want a week conference that year. But that never happens that way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And my point is none of the schedules are the same in any right.
Speaker 2: That's and that's what I told them, Like, the schedules aren't equal.
Speaker 3: But at least the ones in your division are close, you know, the four teams of division play a similar, much more similar schedule than you know, the Steelers, Ravens, Browns, and Bengals play similar schedules more so than the Vikings do right to them.
Speaker 2: You know, we're going to see the teams in the NFC West this year, for example, have some reasonably gaudy win totals because they play the AFC South and the NFC South is their crossover games. It's just worked out that way this year. And well, of those teams in those in those two divisions, six of the eight aren't great.
Speaker 3: Aren't great, right, and don't project to be great? One of them be better? And we think want to be worse, we think, of course. And then there's like the flip side too, you'd be like, man, the Giants, they got last place schedule, they should have a nice easy run. Then we got that for the year this year for them, that way, they're projected to have the hardest schedule in the league. Yeah, that's a bad year to be the last place team in the AFC West. Or it's just how it works out.
Speaker 2: And and you know, this isn't this isn't like college football or college basketball or anything like that. You the league. I can tell you who. I can tell you who. The Steelers schedule is going to be five years from now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, there's a couple of variables, but right yeah.
Speaker 2: Other than you know, the teams, you know, a couple of spots that are determined by who they match up against based on wins, where they finish in the division.
Speaker 3: You can still pencil in wherever seeding they're in, they're going to play the NF North team that or AFC North.
Speaker 2: Team, for example, the Steelers twenty twenty let's go to twenty twenty seven schedule. That's that's even two years from.
Speaker 3: Right, right, Well, we know based on six games matter what.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that they're going to play the Bengals twice, the Browns twice, the Ravens twice. But they're also going to play the Broncos, the Chiefs, the Raiders, the Chargers, Cardinals, Rams, Seahawks, forty nine Ers, and then there are three games that are determined on where they finish in the division. They played AFC South, AFC East, and NFC North. They finished with the same finish as them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they play West. I guess the twenty seven they play all the West, all the North, and that pretty much takes up fourteen of your seventeen games.
Speaker 2: Right, But if you know, if teams are making their own schedule like they do in Okay, so this twenty five win team might not be the same as this twenty six win team.
Speaker 3: Note close.
Speaker 2: You know, that's why you look at stuff. You know, they have their ratings out there and the strength of schedule and all that stuff comes into play. Well in the NFL, Oh, you can't really do that because the schedule was set.
Speaker 3: And again we talked about this yesterday. I like the idea of team building to win your division, you know, to beat your opponents, to be your geography, you know, all that the stuff you deal with year after year.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Not, man, we got the Broncos on the schedule in twenty twenty seven. We better find someone that can beat patzertain.
Speaker 2: Which is actually you know where the Steelers got themselves into trouble in twenty sixteen, is.
Speaker 3: That, like the Patriot, they built the off season a.
Speaker 2: Man off season. Hey, we gotta we gotta go out. We gotta find a figure out a way. They had just lost to the Patriots in the AFC Championship. We got to figure out a way to beat the Patriots. Yeah, yeah, they were still good enough to win the division.
Speaker 3: But how do we get over the hump of the big bad Wolf?
Speaker 2: But then, all of a sudden you run into a team that plays a real physical style of football, which you should have been built to handle in the AFC.
Speaker 3: North, but usually you are.
Speaker 2: Usually you are in that situation you weren't because you.
Speaker 3: Know, yeah, you're looking for Edelman and those guys, you know, right, Yeah, I definitely think that can be a mistake. I'm sure teams do it with the chief now, you know that the Bills and Ravens look around like, Okay, we've done well in our division, but haven't got to quite where we want to go. Is it worse sacrificing some stuff? I think you can do that.
Speaker 2: If, for example, you're the Bills this year, you can look at the at the rest of your division go well, we should win our division. Yeah yeah, but can we beat the Chiefs? Whereas the Ravens might look at this and go, eh, we could lose the division to the Bengals or Steelers pretty easily because they're both good teams. Can we worry about what we need to do to beat the Chiefs or the Bills.
Speaker 3: Bills are a good example. I mean, obviously they're stronger on the offensive side of the ball, and they have been particularly in their playoff performances. But what knocked off the Chiefs a deep defensive line that the Eagles had they could really rush the passer, and they drafted three defensive line I think in their first four picks. Right, I mean that probably is not an accident.
Speaker 2: No, but to that point, that works against anybody. That's just something that works. Never a terrible strategy to get out. Then their d line need to work, right, Yeah, so work. We'll see about the Tush push stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I still think that is going to be the one that's going to be the most contentious.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It seems like the one most talked about too. Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: I still think there's there's going to be a reasonable push to make.
Speaker 3: That happen to eliminate it.
Speaker 2: I think, so I kind of lean towards that too. Sixteen Well, No, okay, that's I just was looking at the latest update here. It's still uh no proposal to band Tush push and NFL fails by two votes according to esp.
Speaker 3: Will stick around. Yeah, they need to get to twenty four.
Speaker 2: They get to twenty twenty two, okay, twenty two to ten.
Speaker 3: It was sixteen just a month or so, So maybe you're going to see it this year.
Speaker 2: There'll be some kind of modified proposal to what this was. Right, right, it's going away. It will go away this year, but I would expect it to go away in the near future.
Speaker 3: The way I understand this proposal was just banning the tush push specifically. Yeah, I would write it you can't aid any ball carriers.
Speaker 2: I would go back to the yeah, yeah, pre two thousand and five rules where you just can't aid the runner.
Speaker 3: Right, no matter who it is, anyone with the ball in their hand, the offensive player can't push them in.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: I've also seen the argument put out there, well that was never called because teams didn't do it, they didn't design it, nobody did it. Yeah, yeah, yeah, like there was no there were There weren't situations where you saw these drums and these guys just moving down. It didn't happen that way. That's why it was never called. It was on the books and wasn't called because it didn't happen.
Speaker 3: Right, Like, I was in here thinking if there's a running back, fighting for yardage like Nausey often did with a bunch of people around him. He's not going down, and this tight end comes flying over to try to knock someone off the pile and runs into Nausey's back and helps them gain two yards. I'm not throwing the flag on that, you know what I mean, But it's if I'm behind them, you know, driving them and doing the work for them, basically flag. Yeah, you know, so I hope that's how it goes, but we'll see.
Speaker 2: I think that I think that would get much more support from the coaches around the league.
Speaker 3: I would also think it's easier to officiate.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know, as opposed you know, you know what it is when you see it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's a design. It's a design play with its own formation. I mean you know it's coming before they even snap it. Yeah, you know, I guess I'm glad it got close. So it makes me think we'll have one more year a toush pushing.
Speaker 2: I would think, so, yeah, And then you know, I get the other side of the argument that you know, well stop.
Speaker 3: It, which is what okay something said for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, somebody can show me how you can stop it regularly, then I'll believe that it can be stopped on a you know.
Speaker 3: I just hope a quarterback doesn't get hurt this year, and that's the reason we get to twenty four next year.
Speaker 2: You know, Yeah, especially Hurts because he's one does the most. You know, Yeah, Hurts gets hurt.
Speaker 3: Hurts gets hurt.
Speaker 2: I don't want to see that.
Speaker 3: But uh and Mike commind a great point at the owners meeting too that there just haven't been that many times has been recalled in the history of the league to judge it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, So let's get to a break. I am Dale Rollie. He is the Matt Williamson and this is the Drive on the Steelers Audio Network. We've got a lot coming at you today, star studded show. Nice, We're gonna take a break. We'll be back with more right after this.
Speaker 4: At least.
Speaker 1: He's the Drive with Dale Lolly and Matt Williamson on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and Gold Steelers Nation.
Speaker 2: Radio and welcome back. I am Dale Lolly. He is the Matt Williamson and you can tell by the music that we are joined on the Justin Miller Hotline by Bob Labriola, the Dean of Doom, the lord of living in his fears, the editor of Steelers Digest in Steelers dot com, How you doing, Labs.
Speaker 4: Theush Push survives.
Speaker 2: Barely by the skin of its well tush. It is still it is still alive and semi well. Matt and I were just talking about that in the previous segment, Bob, and the fact that it got twenty two votes. If you believe the reports that have come out of the owner's meeting here would suggest that maybe a couple of minor tweaks next year, we could see that go away.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I just I don't. I just don't see it being overturned or band or whatever the word is, until there is some something that happens, you know, where somebody gets hurt, because you know, it's an offensive play. We love offense. Anything that benefits the offense is good, good for ratings, which is good for everybody. So you know, to me, the thing that I've been reading that I am happiest about is that the playoff receding thing bit the GOA.
Speaker 2: Ask you about that, Yeah, yeah, that one. That one didn't even get off the ground. The Lions pulled the proposal before they even got into the meeting, because I think they realized nobody support nobody else is on board.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, one of the things that Judy Batista speculated on was that, you know that what is it twenty twenty six or it might have something to do with the eighteen game regular season. I don't exactly understand or what or know what she meant in terms of how that would be tied together. You know, maybe, and I'm speculating here, maybe what she was referring to was that whenever, you know, Roger Goodell tries to I won't say implement that because it's gonna it comes down to a vote of the you know, entire NFLPA, But whenever that is put up for a vote or whatever, maybe there is some sort of issue with playoff receiding tied into that whole eighteen game regular season package proposal whatever. I don't know, but I'm just glad for now that it maintains the integrity of if a team wins its division, it should get a home playoff game, and it should get preferred playoff seeding to the rest of the playoffs over teams that make the wild card. That's I believe that. I will always believe that. Maybe I'm old school, but that's the way I think it should be.
Speaker 2: Well, let's go down the rabbit hole with that, bob, because if you're going to do that, when you also go to eighteen games, one of the things that.
Speaker 3: We think eighteen games definitely happen.
Speaker 2: At some point, eighteen is going to happen, and it's probably in the next few years. And one of the reasons why that this was table was because of that, As Judy Batista wrote, if you're going to do that, shouldn't you then instead of having four divisions, have two eighteen divisions in each conference to make it more like, to make your maybe you don't play everybody twice, but maybe you play everybody in your division once or something along those lines, just to make it more equal, because you're gonna have to figure out a way if you're gonna if you're gonna receive the playoffs like that, my twelve and four record might not be the same as you're eleven, or twelve and five record might not be the same as you're eleven and six record because we don't play the same teams. You got to find a way to equal out the schedules a.
Speaker 3: Little bit more.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, again, I think that the NFL regular season is lessened if you don't have two Steelers Ravens games an example, you know, two Eagles, Cowboys, even Bears, Packers, yeah, Packers, Bears, whatever. You know. I just think that some of those divisional games, uh, you know, when and when the league realigned in two for the two thousand and two season into you know, fourteen divisions, you know, four divisions in each conference, sixteen game schedule at the time, I mean, it just made perfect mathematical sense. But over the course of that it also I think created rivalries that are good for television, that energize the fan bases excuse me. And so you know again, I think that if you're cutting back on some of those divisional matchups, I mean, maybe, you know, Houston against Jacksonville doesn't move the needle, but as I was just saying, Pittsburgh Baltimore definitely does.
Speaker 2: I'm just not sure where they get the extra game at if they when they go to eighteen games. I you know, because right now, as we know, the schedule works out that you play with the seventeenth game at well, now you got to play one one extra team in the other conference, and it rotates through. But as things are now, you play three, You play your regular your schedule, you play another division within the conference, you play another division outside of the conference, and then you play the three teams and you're within your conference that finish with the like record as you.
Speaker 3: I've heard some people throw out trying to create new rivalries. Eagles play the Steelers every year, the two New York teams play every year, the two LA teams play every year. But you start doing the you start connecting the dots.
Speaker 2: But there's still there's still gonna be an extra game though, because if that year that you playing the you're gonna play the Eagles twice.
Speaker 3: Four teams if they happen to be the same seed as you, it would happen rarely.
Speaker 2: So we're gonna have to see some kind of tweaking of the schedule one way or the other.
Speaker 3: But what's funny, though, Like when you do the AFC NFC and you go you draw a line from the teams that all should play each other, there's not as many obvious ones as you think, and all of a sudden, you got Arizona playing the Dolphins or something.
Speaker 4: How about this, the eighteenth game is an international game, You're.
Speaker 3: Still gonna play somebody.
Speaker 2: You still have to figure out who you're going to play, though.
Speaker 3: But I could definitely see what I mean, Yeah, I think that will happen.
Speaker 4: I'm just looking for yeah, because I think that's another area where the league's gonna want to continue to grow and expand. And so if the eighteenth game is an international game, maybe they figured out how to work that out. I don't know, make make more teams playing overseas, make more teams play overseas. Maybe it opens up more venues, more different countries.
Speaker 2: I definitely think that's in the works.
Speaker 3: I think the eighteenth when it gets to an eighteen game schedule, I think every team will go overseas one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's all part of the of the processor. I just don't know how you pick that additional team that you're going to play unless it's it's the other because you play you play one division in each conference outside of every year, Like I'm looking here at the Steelers schedules for the next four years. So in twenty twenty eight, they play the the AFC East. They also match up against the NFC East those they have the NFC South team that finishes with the same record as them. They have the AFC West and AFC South teams that also finished with the same record as them. That doesn't leave any other divisions.
Speaker 4: Let me just bread this out. It's not the same record, it's the same model spot.
Speaker 2: The only other thing that they could do would be to match up against the other team from the NFC that you don't play that year. So for example, that year they play the NFC South.
Speaker 3: You play two third place teams in the NFL or whatever. Or knowing the NFL, I just thought on me if it's a good idea or not, but everyone on the planet would tune in. It's some boring time of the year. You get a bunch of ping pong balls, Here comes the Steelers, and then you pick one out of the NFC bin. Oh, you got the Commanders this year. You know that's your last game. Okay, you know everybody would watch, That's true, everybody would hopefully.
Speaker 4: That's also the same year that the NFL goes to My greatest fear for the draft one one pick a day for the entire month of April, and uh, you know it's all.
Speaker 3: I'd be on the.
Speaker 2: I'd really be on the air a lot Williamson on the air.
Speaker 4: I mean, right, I'll give you a couple of years to get those vocals right, right, Maybe you can start doing bench presses. But I don't know. I I just think that and I always suggest that to be absurd, but I think that, you know, absurdity sometimes. Yeah, oh man.
Speaker 3: I do think there's a lot of merit though, to building your team to win your specific division. You know your geography, what are the rates? How do we you know, do the Steelers draft? Why you're black? If it's not for Lamar Jackson and Derrick Henry, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Uh right, and yeah, and I think divisions have developed identities.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, there's no doubt about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and uh, you know, I like it. It interests me, you know, when there are random games on, you know, I often would I would rather watch a division game usually. I mean there are obvious except but I mean, if you know, for example, if it's I don't know, Buffalo against New England or the Cardinals against Jacksonville, I'd watch the division game just because even when it seems like, for example, Buffalo against New England. You look at those two teams right now, that would not seem to be a very closely contested game based on what you think of those teams and where they have been recently in terms of standings and stuff. But division games, I think are always more likely to surprise you with the outcome because of the familiarity of the teams we mentioned.
Speaker 3: Earlier too, like Jaggs, Texans might not move the needle, but it might in five years. You know, Stroud and Lawrence is great, you know who.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So anyway, Yeah, I'm a I'm a believer in the division thing. I I like a lot of a lot about it, and uh, you know, I would be in favor of maintaining that.
Speaker 2: While we're on that subject, Bub and I just thought about this. We haven't really talked about Cleveland trying to build a dome in in up in Cleveland out by their up by their airport. That is non a f C North type football. I mean, when you think about the a f C North, you're thinking about teams that are playing out in the elements and doing those kind of things. It just kind of goes against what the division is about in many ways.
Speaker 4: Sure, But I mean I think that that is a reflection of their current ownership.
Speaker 2: So it's not even retractable. It's just do I think it's just a dome. Like buff Buffalo is building a new stadium right now. If if somebody wanted to say, if Buffalo should have a dome, and I would get Okay, I get it. You know, Minnesota should have a dome, right because it's ridiculously cold up there, you know, in the middle of the winter. But Buffalo said, no, We're not building a dome because this is what we are. This is part of our our you know, what makes us the Bills, the Browns, building a dome stadium in Cleveland goes just goes against the AFC North in general and what they.
Speaker 4: Should be and what everything you think about, you know, Sundays on the on the shores of Lake Ears.
Speaker 2: It actually takes away one of their few things that that gives them an advantage on some Sundays, Like there's been some games up there where weather has been a major factor and it levels the playing field for some bad Browns teams or Red eight eight or that. You might explain that one to our younger listeners.
Speaker 4: But yeah, right, that was a brutally bitter cold day where the Browns were hosting the Oakland Raiders and they were in position. The Browns were in position to kick a game winning field goal, and in his in his I don't know, I'll call it genius, Sam Ertigliana decided, well, let's run one more play and he tells Brian Sipe, you know, if it's not the play was red right eighty eight. If it's not there right away, throw it into the dog bomb, will kick the field goal and win the game. Well, Brian Sipe didn't do that. He threw the pass into the end zone, it was intercepted and the Browns did not get to go to advance. That wasn't an AFC championship game, I don't think.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: They saved that for games against the Broncos.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you know, the Browns were very much a Super Bowl contending team that year in my opinion.
Speaker 2: Oh they were many of those years during the eighties. Yeah, they just couldn't get.
Speaker 3: Over the hollow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was you know, I laughed very hard that day. I remember that was very enjoyable. But you know that that's a day, like you were describing, deal where it should have been an advantage for the Browns. Cold, raw, windy. I see all those things against a California team, but they still choked. So, you know, Yeah, getting back to the original point, I wouldn't be in favor of a dome in Cleveland. I don't think you need a dome in Cleveland to pack the joint those fans. You know, it's like putting a dome over lambeau Field. Yeah, I just don't think that those fans need that to show up. What they may need is, you know, respective respectable competitive team. But who knows, Maybe ownership now believes up there that it's easier to build a dome than it is to be a respectable competitive team.
Speaker 3: Lads, do you see the Browns as a distant fourth in the North right now?
Speaker 4: I do, Yeah, I don't, I don't know distant. You know, last is last, to paraphrase Juju, last is last. The Browns is the Browns. I just don't have a lot of belief that, you know. I think ownership up there sometimes gets a little too involved that you know. I will never forget the look on Andrew Berry's face their GM when they announced that Shador Sanders picky. I mean, so who knows. I don't. I don't. I really I don't know what to expect from Browns. They don't seem to me to do a lot of things where you after they do, then you say, oh, that makes sense. You know, even the Miles Garrett contract, the Deshaun Watson trade and the contract they gave him, the Johnny Manzel pick, the Brady Quinn pick. It's you know, I I from the franchise when it entered the NFL. The Cleveland franchise entered the NFL in nineteen fifty. It was so it was almost like a well oiled machine. You know. The Browns were They were always always, always near the top of the Eastern Conference. You know, the NFL even attempted, because the Browns were absorbed from the All American Football Conference. They the NFL even attempted to embarrass them by their very first NFL game, They had to play the defending champion Eagles, and the Browns kicked their butt, kicked their butt. The Browns were also very progressive in terms of African Americans, Bill Willis, Mary and Motley, all those kind of guys. You know, all the innovations Paul Brown made in terms of game film and you know all of that stuff. The Browns were the first franchise to have radio helmets, in the radio signals and the helmets so that Paul Brown could communicate directly with the quarterback.
Speaker 2: That franchise is still on pretty well, that's just in Baltimore.
Speaker 4: Now, right. But you know, again, like I said, so many things about that franchise were cutting edge, so well thought out, you know, just kind of I won't say militaristic, but they offered like a well oiled platoon of soldiers or you know whatever, whatever kind of comparison you want to make. But now, I mean, I just I don't know. You just never know what's going to happen. And as I said, very rarely after it happens, when you go wow, that makes a lot of sense. Wish I had thought.
Speaker 3: Of that, Labs. You might have noticed it from the article I wrote from you recently. I was not a big fan of the direction of their draft either, right, I mean doesn't add up to me at all. No offensive line, mean, what are you doing?
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, and all the picks they had it just I mean, I don't know, and yeah, the and the the trading away from Travis Hunter.
Speaker 3: Two quarterbacks, two running backs.
Speaker 4: What are you doing if if they had, as you pointed out, if they had used that bounty they received from that to address the issues that their roster had, than okay, but they squat they blew those picks. Those picks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't understand it.
Speaker 4: I mean, right, I can't understand it.
Speaker 2: Well, Bob, this is why we have you on the show, because you are a true historian of the game and insight into not just the Steelers but some other teams in the division. And and I think people forget that's two different franchises, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Right, the good one left out right.
Speaker 4: And that's and that's why the Steelers hate the Ravens because at the time it was Steelers Browns was bitter from the beginning, and uh and the and the Ravens are our Modell's Browns, and so there was a lot of hatred. They're already built up. They didn't even have to a lot of times, you know, with a new team, not that the Ravens were an expansion team, but you catch I drift, it's a new team there, it takes a while before you start hating.
Speaker 2: Oh that was that was a team that the Steelers had just played in the playoffs like two years before that, when they were the first Ravens team, like they had just met in the playoffs.
Speaker 4: And beat them three times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it was yeah, I mean, that was all across you.
Speaker 4: Think about it. The Steelers have done that twice to that franchise nineteen ninety four, in two thousand and eight, beat them three times.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, well, Bob, we will let you go and appreciate you drop them by. We didn't uh, we didn't get to talk all that much about the tush push and all that stuff. But plenty of time to talk about that, and there's there's plenty out there about it. Everybody has their opinions about it.
Speaker 4: But and thank thank you for not making me talk about OTAs.
Speaker 2: Oh, not a problem, not a problem at all. Are you going to OTAs?
Speaker 3: I said, we'll be broadcasting from down there next week.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I mean, uhh, if you guys are going to be broadcasting, I'll come down at least once just to make funny stop.
Speaker 2: By the cafeteria at least, you know where you can stop by the table and talk to us while we're on the air broadcasting during ota.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, all right, there you go, There you go.
Speaker 2: Our guest has been Bob Labriola, editor of Steeler's Digest in Steelers dot Com, the Dean of Doom, the lord of living in his fears. He's Matt Williamson. I'm Dale Lollie. You're listening to the Driver here in the Steelers Audio Network. We will be back with more right after this.
Speaker 4: At least.
Speaker 1: He's the Drive with Dale Lolly and Matt Williamson on your twenty four to seven Home of the Black and Gold Steelers Nation Radio.
Speaker 2: And we are back. I am Dale Lolly. He is the Matt Williamson, and is Bob Labriola just said, there Matt. Next week OTAs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I actually see football stuff.
Speaker 2: A couple of weeks of OTAs and we'll get a week of mini camp as well. When I say a week, they actually go Tuesday through Thursday. Okay, right, that's right, right, So it's really nine practices on the field. They are football like. Yeah, it's football like.
Speaker 3: They were more.
Speaker 2: Involved in the rookie mini camp.
Speaker 3: So funny. I was on a Dynasty podcast this morning, and I guess tooting first time they hand him the ball he fumbles in Ota, we know he's a fumbler. I'm like, and they're like, should we be worried about it? I'm like, the big conversation was to be overreact to OTAs. I'm like, yes, you overreact to OTAs, but nobody hit them. Nobody right.
Speaker 2: It's like you can't even say, well, I hit you know, hit the handoff, hit my shoulder pad, and.
Speaker 3: I right right, right right, or something like. That's not a great sign a fumbler. No cackle didn't blast him in the ball and flying.
Speaker 2: Out and he knew it wasn't he wasn't gonna get it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's probably just like, don't fumble, don't fumble, oh.
Speaker 2: Man, don't think about pink elephants.
Speaker 3: So that's quite me if I'm wrong. But next week we got Memorial Day no show three from down there.
Speaker 2: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, down there Friday, no show. So basically from here on out, folks, at least until mini camps or i should say training camp starts at the end of July, and I'm just guessing here that's probably starts sometime around you know, if you can do the math, just go backwards two weeks from when they play their first preseason game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so when it camp opens you're talking about.
Speaker 2: So you're probably looking at somewhere in the one, two three, the fourth week of July that the training camp will start. We will go back to four days a week and actually or something sorry, five days a week. Actually during training camp, every day they practice, we do a show. We do a show, so sometimes it's more than seven day a week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, right, so good stuff. So we'll have three shows. Players should be joining us next week too, right, Yes.
Speaker 2: We will have player interviews and everything. I should say though that we won't have video down there. Friday of this week will be Friday this week will be our last day for video on YouTube until until training camp starts off, and we will have our all of our shows at training camp throughout the rest of the season. Then you can find us on like every other platform out there. Yeah, you can still listen and uh obviously we'll still do our Twitter Thursday and all that stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it won't be much different. Good stuff. But yeah, that's just I just like to get back down there. And I haven't seen any of the new players in person yet, really, I mean, I want to see you're like Why You're Black is ridiculously huge. I've never seen Metcalf in person. I mean, I bet it's.
Speaker 2: A little whoa you know. So, So we'll get an opportunity to do all that next week again. We'll be broadcasting live during the OTA practices so well, and we'll will.
Speaker 3: Be commenting on like boy, that is a heck of a catch.
Speaker 2: Orge. We can't cover three right now, but we will have players coming over to join us once the session is done, so you want to hear that. We'll get some interviews with some of these guys. There's a list out there of guys that have been requested. You'll really like the list of guys. We'll get some of it. We won't get all of them, but we'll get some of them because there's only nine sessions total. But you will enjoy listening or being able to hear these guys chat with us for ten minutes or so at the end of the show. You won't want to miss that, and you can't get it anywhere else. That's key, that's the key. That's why we do these shows. But that's going to do it for hour number one. He is Matt Williamson. I am Dale Lallie, you're listening to the Drive here on the Steelers Audio Network. We'll be back with more right after this