Speaker 1: Countdown with Keith Olderman is a production of iHeartRadio. And we're back from a week off, just in time for me to put this podcast on hiatus for my health. Yes, it was a bit of a dodge. I took the week off so I could go see some doctors. I'm okay, there's nothing life threatening. I don't even think there's anything that seriously threatens the long term future of this podcast, so you can turn it off now. I have to explain though, for at least two weeks, maybe a month more likely, I will not be doing this podcast because I have been diagnosed with atrial fibrillation, which, apart from the fact that it's a bad, bad thing to have if you have trouble saying the letter L, a true relation as I do, A FIB is the most common cause of arrhythmia in the heart. And what you don't want in the heart is arrhythmia. You like it to go thump thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, And mine is making a sound sometimes anyway, much more close to some jazz drummer going nuts with the symbols and just making this kind of sound in the background. This came up somewhat suddenly in retrospect, it's clear I've had many of the symptoms for a long time, possibly years, but there never was anything debilitating. And then during my physical three weeks ago, now I guess it is my GP, who is a cardiologist and a good one, was talking about how great my heart looked and how young it looked for an old guy like me. And then he said, and it's just for wait a minute, two words or three words you don't want to hear in the middle of an exam. Wait a minute, and it's a fib. So we are now exploring the non intervention kind of treatments for it, one of which involves reducing stress and no offense to you. You're the best part of this podcast, But the topic matter is for me like juggling flaming chainsaws. It's nothing but stress. What's alarming and what I now see, maybe in fact, a symptom of this aphib is the fact that the whole process of producing this, which normally I should be able to do in my sleep, because other than the improvement in the quality of the equipment, doing this is basically what I used to do in college radio with razor blades. Standing up. This is actually should be a simple process. There's only two of them a week, there are limited deadlines, and yet the whole thing seems daunting sometimes. So this is probably in fact the aphib because this sense of being exhausted and not having energy, and being artificially fearful or anxious about things, these are all symptoms of it. I urge you to get checked if you ever have anything that doesn't seem right about your heart, get it checked anyway. I mean, that's a standard rule. But look particularly for this aphib thing, because it can be treated in many different ways, the first of which is they give you medication that ensures that you will not have a stroke, because that's one of the great fears. If your heart beat is not going in the right way, your blood can coagulate in and around your heart and cause a clot, which could cause a stroke, and then you're in trouble. As my cardiologist said twenty twenty five years ago, when he would find this in somebody, the next thing would be to put them in a cab over to a major medical center where they'd have to stay at least the night. Now, he says, I give you this box of pills. I stick this monitor on your chest and you don't even have to take the pills for another four or five hours. So we're in the still in the pills stage, and I'm feeling a little bit better actually, and then we go to the more invasive things, which include fude. One of the treatments includes probably the best. The best treatment for an irregular heart beat involves a mild shock to the heart to reset the rhythm and encourage the heart to go back to them bum bum bum bum bum love dub love dub. You know the rest. Now, perhaps like you or certainly like me, when I hear shock to the heart, I think, Claire. So what I wanted to do here was to do some headlines of the day. And also I have a great story about my dog Ted and his heart problems, which I have been keeping from you because I wanted to wait till there was an established story there, and it's a story. I'll save that for last. And I want to talk about my first TV boss of bosses, the late Ted Turner, and how basically what you see in TV everything including ESPN, Ted Turner created that, although he did not directly create it, but I wanted to do, since you know, the possibility is they're going to hit my heart with the electricity. Are you sure this is a good idea, since they're going to do something like that, or keep me on these medications for a long time. I wanted to go big picture here first, just in case I don't resume this podcast in a month or less or whatever, or I get so well and feel so good that I say, to hell of it, I'm not resuming this podcast. I wanted to just talk big picture for a change, not the day's headlines, but the big implications, the sort of things people leave out of this commentary world because we are so occupied with these trees in front of us, and the forests are full of nightmares. Besides being insane and capable of just the one emotion, what can I get away with besides being lost in Iran? And we are lucky that Iran has not already invaded Washington and taken over. I guess we're lucky. We have to remember something that is becoming increasingly evident but is not being set alout. Donald Trump is Boss Tweed. Boss Tweed is a man who, in today money probably stole several billion dollars from the city of New York in the eighteen sixties, when there were no taxes, he was the all time financial crook, and Trump, I think, is going to exceed him. Also, whether he knows it or not, Trump is reducing us to a second rate power, threatening democracy here and around the world, as you know, elevating China and trying to although I don't think there's enough left in Russia to really make them a world power again, elevating Russia, or at least Prutin has managed to manipulate Trump for whatever reason and by whatever means those things, pee tapes and everything else that's almost incidental, I'm sorry to say. For those of you who like me just giggle over this because you're thirteen. The fact about Russia is that Putin has successfully and continues to successfully manipulate Trump into doing things that stave off, you know, a Russia that looks like nineteen oh five with mass starvation. I believe, truly. Still, I am still somewhat hopeful. I am not willing to say to hell with this America thing. I'm not there yet. I am still willing to believe that it will someday be illegal to use Trump's name anywhere or to say it out loud, unless it is preceded by popular Anglo Saxon epithets, the way it was basically illegal to use Hitler's name in Germany in the recent past, for like the thirty years after the Second World War. I still think we are going to wind up there. I also still think this all ends with one of them, one of the Trumps or one of his lackeys in the cabinet, accidentally electrocuting everybody at a cabinet meeting every day. I have a different favorite as to who's likeliest to do that. I think with the revelations about cash Patel and his pictures of his bourbon with his name on it, his own branded bourbon, that it's not enough that he was accused of drinking bourbon more or less by IV drip by the Atlantic I guess it was. And then he threatened to sue, and then he started to investigate the leaks, and then they came back with the next story, which was he wasn't just drinking bourbon, he was drinking bourbon out of bottles with his name on it, that he gave out his gifts. If that were not bad enough, this is where we are you've heard of this character, Mark Burns, big fat guy who goes by the nickname pastor. I thought for a long time he was a past pastor. Mark Burns is how he identifies himself. In fact, it's a nickname because I'm confident that I have read much more of the Bible than he has, and it's not on my top one hundred reading list. He wrote the other day that he went to Trump National Durral in Miami, big words for a crappy golf course, and he made history. He led the dedication event for President Donald J. Trump and the unveiling. He wrote of the twenty two foot statue created in his honor, if you have not seen it, it's a giant statue of Trump, twenty two feet high at a golf course, and it is the color of urine. Big picture here. I think it's time to look at this and stop saying he makes everything look like gold, or he puts gold on the wall. Call it what it is. Donald Trump recognizes only one color. It's the color of pists. It symbolizes him. It is his life's work. But color of you urin the stuff on the White House walls, that's not gold. It's the color of urine. Stop calling it gold. It's urine colored. His hair is urine colored. He is urine colored. He's President Donald Urine Trump. The more we get that point across, the better we will all be. But back to Mark quote Pastor Burns. Now, you might think that a statue twenty two feet high gold of a living being, that they all stand around and talk about how much it's history and how deeply honored they are and dedicated, and all these religious leaders were there, you might think that was.
Speaker 2: What's that story in the Bible again.
Speaker 1: The golden calf? Worshiping the golden calf. No, Mark has reassurance for you. Let me say this plainly. He said, this is not a golden calf, worship the Lord Jesus Christ and him alone. The statue is not about worship. It is about honor. Mark, bullshit, it's a golden calf. You're worshiping a false idol. I don't care much about the rules of your religion, whatever it is. Apparently you are in sign trumpology. But honestly, you would think by now that any deity supervising any religion that we've heard of or haven't heard of, would have already thrown a bolt Mark's way and said, hey, some of an irony here about your name being Burns. So we have Patel brand bourbon and a giant twenty two foot tall golden calf statue of Donald Trump, and it's urine colored. Those are the big picture issues on the MAGA side of this. But more seriously, I'd like to mention here just in case this is the last one, and perhaps when I resume, and I'm using when when I resume these I can pick up on some of these individually, because I think they're actually quite interesting, and they're the kind of things you think of when somebody says, yeah, it's fine, we're just gonna throw some electricity through your heart. How does that feel? The leading threat to democracy in this country right now is not Donald Trump. He is obviously the precipitate for all of this. But the leading threat is a small time Democratic party worldview. To quote the late John Candy in the movie Splash with my friend Tom Hanks, think big, be big, my friend. Right now, the big ideas on the left are, ooh uh, Kevin Newsom's gonna write mean tweets? Or should this candidate go on? Joe Rogan's podcast asked, these are not big thoughts. These are thoughts you have on the way home from work while you're going to go out and get drunk on Patel Brand Bourbon. Think big, be big. We need a party that is thinking in terms of what this country will look like if it still exists fifty years from now, and what we can do to save democracy, not just now, but after we defeat Trump and MAGA in this fall, and in twenty twenty eight and in twenty thirty two. And they have not gone away, because the biggest problem of the last fifteen years was and I understand why he did it, but Joe Biden and everybody at that stage of the liberal side of the equation of politics in this country who viewed the election of twenty twenty and the successful inauguration after Trump led a coup attempt in twenty twenty one, who viewed that as some sort of thing that merited the two word phrase the end. Like I said, when Obama was elected and everybody said, oh, we can take a breath, And when are you crazy? You think these people are going to go away now? They're angrier than they were, They have been thwarted, They are three year old children, and you took away their dream of killing you. So let's think big and be big. And some of these things will never happen, but if we don't start thinking about how to achieve them, we will not also come up with other ideas about how to achieve lesser doable things and maybe maybe just pull off some of these things. Like the most important thing we could do to preserve this country going forward is eliminate senatorial balance. There is no reason anymore on God's green Earth for Wyoming to have as many senators as New York. I don't know what the actual formula needs to be, but there should not be as many votes in Oklahoma as in California, not in the Senate, not in the House. We recognize the wisdom of it. In the House, people vote not empty land. I like empty land. I like bison as I will discuss later with Ted Turner about Ted Turner. He's not my guest, obviously, but we can't keep this going much longer. Eventually we will be ruled by a minority of fifteen percent of the population. Here's something else that we should work towards. You want to reform voting in this country. Well, it's very simple. You want everybody to be registered an IDD. Okay, we'll do that with this caveat you get automatic registration at birth or naturalization, or I don't know, when you register your car or get a license. There are all these other things that they say, we have to show an ID to get a license or to buy a loaf of bread, even though nobody's ever had to show a loaf of bread or to get an ID, or show an ID to get a loaf of bread. I don't know where that one came from. They keep saying this, you can't buy a pizza with an ID. Where are you buying your pizzas Moscow? Maybe they are automatic registration to vote when you are born, when they take the baby's toe prints and they say eighteen years from now, this baby's eligible to vote. Done. And by the way, mandatory voting. I've been pushing this for thirty years, longer than that. They have it in Australia. And if you don't vote, you get fined. We could do it the other way, since it's America. We could reward people with fifty dollars off your income tax if you can prove you voted. We have to eliminate the electoral college. That's obvious, and that's not a project that's going to take the storm or take the entire campaign world by storm in the midterms or in twenty twenty eight. I don't think we're going to get that done in the next fifty years. But why are we not thinking long term about this? Ideas of immediate concern and consequence can be done if there is some measure of bold leadership. You saw the Virginia Supreme Court throw out redistricting. There after it was voted on. The voters of the state approved it, the Supreme Court disapproved it. Well, the Supreme Court apparently did not know that there is absolute control of the mandatory retirement age for judges in Virginia given to the state legislatures. If you changed it today to fifty three, all of the members of the Virginia Supreme Court would have to retire two weeks from now, and then you just go back with your new Supreme Court and have that vote taken again and restore the redictory we're redistricting. We need that kind of thinking, and that has been proposed, and that has to be done, and anybody who gets in the way of this needs to be eliminated from the Democratic Party and perhaps prosecuted, as we should do with John Fetterman. There must be a way to take John Fetterman and not let him get away with this the way Mansion did or Kristen Cinema did. My old bedfellow. Politics make strange ballot bedfellows, and none of them have ever been stranger than her. Why not if this is my last podcast, you can quote me on that. Put that on my tombstone. Got to be a way to force him out. Got to be a way to do something, because he's a liar. He lied all the way through the campaign. He has lied every moment. He has lied to every voter. He should be sued by everybody who voted for him. If everybody who voted for him sued him for a million dollars, he would flee the country within hours. Anyway, back to the more realistic ones. Eliminating the sanatorial balance, automatic registration at birth or naturalization, mandatory voting, eliminate the electoral college. And there's more to come, but just as a pause before I get to the rest of my list, and you probably have your own list. Project twenty twenty five was it's a crazy wish list. But the fascists had the vision that they would someday change everything. They started to create things on that list when Barry Goldwater led that party. We have spent sixty years staving off the Barry Goldwaters of this land, successfully sometimes obviously more recently not so much. We have been staving them off. They have been planning to unroll abortion rights, women's rights, voting rights, everything that we call America, everything that has changed since the New Deal. They're still angry about FDR, and they are finally doing something about it. And the actual anger that has motivated them and Trump and the support for Trump dates to nineteen thirty fing two and the election of nineteen thirty two when a good man named Herbert Hoover was garrotted by this class trader FDR. The anger has been building there for more than nine decades. And we what do we get? We get moderates, we get Gavin Newsom going on Joe Rugan's podcast, I don't know. Let's have a conference about it. Think big B, big my friend, commit to the prosecution and the restitution demands of the Trump family and his family of crooks and inside traders for all the money they've stolen. Commit to removing tax breaks for churches that are now just political organizations or fronts for political organizations dressed up in clerical robes that they bought on eBay. Pastor Mark burns he's worshiping a golden calf, but because he says it's not a golden calf, they all go, oh, two gates. Fine, God wants Trump. That's not God you're talking to. The red tail should have been a hint. Commit to investigating and prosecuting the foreign bankrolling of conservative influencers and organizations like Seapack. You have an admission from the new rulers of Hungary. The new leader, Peter Madjar says, oh, by the way we've been bankrolling Seapack, it shouldn't be that difficult. We start with Hungary and then all those match laps and such, they will flee the country too. Obviously, there's so much to do with the Supreme Court. We need ninety one Supreme Court justices. We need to eliminate lifetime membership on skotis. Perhaps we want to go even bigger than that, and think about the president nominates ten candidates the Senate nominates four candidates and you put them in a bubble machine. You put them in a plastic ping pong ball machine like the National Hockey League draft lottery, and one of them becomes the Supreme Court justice. Take a little of the politics out of it the only way we can do it now, which is by random chance. Although that somebody would try to fix the lottery. I'm not saying the National Hockey League lottery was fixed, but just because they keep letting the bad teams making bad choices have the number one draft choice because they're in the big markets, that's not That's okay. Never mind, Commit to prosecuting Scalia and Clarence Thomas for the corruption we've detailed here and has been detailed in a thousand places, and commit to candidates, Democratic leaders, people who want to be president twenty twenty nine need to commit now to prosecuting Barrett and Kavanaugh and Gorsich for lying to the Senate during their confirmation about Roe v. Wade. They lied. Think big b big make home schooling illegal. I mean, I know, perhaps it's more convenient for some of you, but I mean, if you want to teach your kids how to live your life and do yours. That's fine, but get them out of the house so they can meet people who were not identical to you and them. When states put in racist ap history classes like the one Florida announced in the last week, like the entire program in Oklahoma, we need candidates who will say, by the way, we're not going to let you use those for college credit outside of your own states. Does your son want to go to Yale, soony purchase cal Davis, no offense to any of those schools. You can't get in with your Florida degree. Sorry that history thing. You're sixteen credits short. Spent another couple of years in a real high school somewhere. Go back to the FCC and have the fairness doctrine or equal time restored. I know dying, television is dying, but there should be some sort of FCC intervention in cable and streaming and the internet. Not that they would rule, but some sort of avenue so there can be appeal and so monopolies can be attacked. And on the subject of monopolies, think big B Big my friend, corral the tech moguls while there's still a chance to stop them, because, as has been noted, many times. Every goddamn science fiction movie from nineteen forty to nineteen ninety featured a billionaire who had his own island and his own rockets. The goal should be to take all of the money from Jeff Bezos, Elon Musk, Zuckerberg, the Ellisons, and the other robber barons and use it for public good. Our forefathers did exactly that, and not all of the money. They didn't bankrupt Rockefeller, but they just took the bite out of him and Morgan and all of the others, and Jay Gould Republicans led the way doing that one hundred years ago, one hundred and twenty years ago, one hundred and fifty years ago. We can too, and we have to, because ultimately it is either the robber barons or democracy. They are not mutually coexistent. Think big, be big, my friends, unify with the small liberal parties and go governments worldwide to encircle and shut down the fascist operations in Europe and elsewhere, like Reform UK and here like MAGA because MAGA and Reform UK want elections, but only until they win decisively, then there'll be no more elections. Also, particularly to Reform UK as it's grown again in last week's elections there in the local elections, the council elections. Nigel Farage personally consists about seventy five percent of the actual evidence that the old UFO conspiracy theory that many world leaders are in fact lizard people. He is seventy five percent of the evidence that that might be ture. You ever seen him smile where his mouth extends back to each ear. Here we need to remove Chuck Schumer and the other dead weights and the moderates. Amy Klobershar has now come out against redistricting in Minnesota, and now I think I should mention I believe she was a little worse for wear once at the White House correspondence dinner and she got a little too close. That came up a little bit too close to me like this, can you see in your earphones what I'm trying to demonstrate? And I think she was. I think she might have been saying she liked me. It's just a little close. We want a democratic party in which the declaration that you're against redistricting on behalf of democracy is the immediate end of your career. Amy Klobashar should have been forced out of office, and Tim Waltz should have been able to appoint a successor already this morning. And remember on broad projects like the filibuster, like mandatory voting, like reforming the Supreme Court, all the big ticket items. Just because the Republicans would do it does not mean it's a bad idea for the Democrats.
Speaker 3: Do it.
Speaker 1: Stop thinking that it's a reason for the good guys not to do something. The best time to hit the man with the knife is when he is having trouble getting it out of his pocket. Stop thinking of reform or progress or improvement or we'll get to single payer eventually, and start thinking these issues are life or death of democracy issues. Unbalance the Senate. Defang the entire issue of voter fraud by making registration automatic in some way so that you don't have to do anything extra or pay more money, because that's the whole thing. It's a poll tax. Think big, Be big, my friends in the Democratic Party or its successor. While I'm on this, Medica, The second biggest threat, of course, is an inert news media. I don't know how many commentaries I've done about this, It must be in three digits. By now, preoccupied with their own careers and safety, as if they did not live in America and the future America they are helping create by their lack of attention, it won't affect them in some way. Tell me about it. All of you who've lost your jobs or gotten fired or work at CBS News, and you know what's going to have to happen. Somebody we're not expecting is going to have to risk their own careers. Somebody's going to have to get fired on the air, Somebody we do not expect anything from. The perfect example, the mean candidate for this is Kristen Welker of Meet the Press, totally clueless. Once or twice in her entire tenure has she said anything, followed up in any way or embarrassed anybody From MAGA. Margaret Brennan is an option. It wouldn't be enough for George Stephanoppolis.
Speaker 2: To do this.
Speaker 1: It wouldn't be enough even for Jake Tapper, as bad a guy as Jake Tapper is and as useless as he is, it wouldn't be enough because that would be written off as he's just the left winger. Somebody's going to have to do a cross between Cronkite and Howard Beale somebody who is not expected to be willing to risk anything. Now, who could those people think Tony de Couple is going to do that? Maybe you want to redeem yourself. Somebody could do this. Somebody could lose it in an interview with Trump and just tell him the truth and say this is where I am leaving broadcasting and going to run a bar, and I mean lose it. Tell him the truth. Tell him he's crazy, tell him he's losing in Iran. Tell him he's not popular, tell him he's lying, Tell him he's insane. Tell him he smells like crap. Tell him his hair is the color of urine. Go ahead, Tony, show me you're actually made of something. The Hollywood Reporter recently put out its most powerful list of people in New York media. Rebecca Blumenstein, Caesar Condey, who runs NBC News, although I don't think they've seen him there in about two years. Jerry Cardinally, Jeff Zooker, Joanna Coles, Anderson Cooper, Barry Diller, Meredith Kopit, Levian, Kara Swisher. Somebody please explain to me what it is she's supposed to be doing. David Haskell, Alman, Kara Medovich, John Kelly, Rebecca Cutler who apparently runs MSNBC, Rachel Maddow who actually runs MSNBC, Emma Tucker, Andrew Ross Sorkin, who's the one who sits there and goes, Joe Kernan. I don't think you're right about that. That's power, and Emily Sunberg. Any names I just mentioned to you there strike you as somebody who'd risked twenty dollars to save the democracy, let alone twenty million dollars. Rebecca Blumenstein or Stein is the head of NBC News editorial Still. The last time we heard from her was when she was one of the people who tried to bring in Ronna Romney McDaniel as a commentator on NBC and MSNBC. Did she get fired for that fiasco? She did not. What has she been doing since? She has been running the editorial content on NBC News, so she is Kristin Welker's boss. And what has she really been doing. She's been writing a book about her days at The New York Times. She is the head essentially of NBC News, and she's not writing memos about how to save democracy through good journalism. She's writing a book and it's not even about NBC News. It's about her days, the good old days at the New York Times. She's everything that's wrong with media. I never met her. Politico put it this way. The idea of bringing the Trump flunky into NBC News began with negotiations for the NBC coverage of a Republican debate, and I'm quoting Politico though that process. Through that process, rather McDaniel built a good rapport with Boodolph Brown and Blumenstein. McDaniel left the RNC, signed on with the CIA Talent Agency, and what looking for a TV contract. While McDaniel had talks with other networks, she was trying to avoid working for CNN, but had serious discussions with ABC. NBC always had the inside track. Quote Rona had a good experience with Carrie and Rebecca and felt more comfortable than with them with then with some of the other networks. A person close to McDaniel said, log rolling, I believe is the term. All that conversation was about putting Rona McDaniel on NBC News. Was trying to advance her career and the career of those at NBC News who were going to put her on and that's what television news is, and most of news still is Hey, the country's on fire. Yeah, but I made another twenty thousand dollars. I am encouraged about the new bosses at Disney suing the FCC and Brendan Carr and by inference Trump over the chilling effect and their attempts to quash the First Amendment, and in so doing they quoted then DC Circuit Judge Brett Kavanaugh, who wrote in twenty seventeen that the government could not quote tell Amazon or Politics and Pros what books to promote or tell the Washington Post or the Drudge Report, what columns to carry or tell ESPN or the NFL network, what games to show or tell, how appealing or bench memos, what articles to feature or tell Twitter or YouTube, what videos to post or tell Facebook or Google? What content to favor? Brett Kavanaugh, twenty seventeen. Of course, the Trump administrations have tried to do everything Kavanaugh said they could not do. On the other hand, disabuse yourself of the notion that Brett Kavanaugh would say again what he said in twenty seventeen now on the Supreme Court, or even remember that he said it, or remember what he said last week, Hey you got any of that? Where's cash? Pttel on the free stuff. People betray themselves and us on a daily basis in this country. That's where we are especially betraying themselves. After this thing about ABC and Disney suing the FCC, the newsletter's status turned for comment to Floyd Abrams. They identified Floyd Abrams as one of the nation's leading First Amendment lawyers and did not note that he was the quizzling who represented the scumbag anti free speech fascist David Bossi in the case that put us here, Citizens United. Floyd Abrams first Amendment champion until Citizens United, which killed the First Amendment. Thank you, Floyd. As we have seen in the last year, especially to quote John Houston's character in Chinatown explaining to Jack Nicholson's character how he Houston's character raped his own daughter quote, most people never have to face the fact at the right time and the right place, they're capable of anything. Thank you, Nancy Faust. Yeah, this is not the final countdown, but Nancy never recorded a song called this is not the Final Countdown, So I had to take what I had. Thank you, Nancy Faust. It's probably the only song she never did record. Is there a song called that Let's run some headlines before the break? A Keem Jeffries is apparently panicking over that virgin idea that I mentioned, the forced retirement of the entire Supreme Court and doing the whole thing over again rather than pulling the emergency switch. The Times, during a private discussion on Saturday that included Democratic House members from Virginia and Representative of Keem Jeffries of New York, the minority leader, the most dramatic idea they discussed, which would involve an unusual gambit to replace the entire state Supreme Court with the goal of reinstating their gerrymandered map. True mixed reactions on the call, said the people who were the other people on the call, Stephen Miller and Fing Trump, and it was not clear that it would be even viable or palatable to Governor Abigail Spanberger and Democrats in the Virginia General Assembly. A warning here to the governor and the members of the Virginia General Assembly, get your asses in gear and save your state, or be prepared to be exppelled from this country. Governor Spanberger, who The Times was nice enough to identify as miss span Berger. Nice sexism. I didn't even use that against her, and I'm really pissed at her. Spanburger would have to sign off on any legislation. The Times wrote that lowered the judicial retirement age. She has not been briefed on the proposal. The people involved in the discussion or briefed on it, said, well, why hasn't she been She was in the house, acheme. You should have met Abigail at some point or is The Times referred to her Miss Spanburger. The governor Virginia Times condescending, mfing bastards. Do it? Do it now? Do it? Before I finished this sentence, we don't have a lot of time left, and your state map is vital to the nation. I don't give a crap about Virginia in the grand scheme of things. We're talking about whether it's going to be Republican owned for the next two hundred years. Get off your ass, Governor and minority leader while you are still minority leader. Trump again on Iran. The latest Iran's response to his latest bullshit proposal to not end his bullshit war is, according to him, unacceptable bullshit. Anybody notice he just rotates the lies. Every day, Trump says, A, he won in Iran him personally, he won. The next day, he says, B he may start blowing them to hell. The day after that, he says, see piece is close in Iran is begging, sir, please, We have tears in our eyes. Can we have a deal, sir? Please? Sir? Once some more? And our media, from Fox News to The New York Times, the whole gamut nods to this like a row of bobblehead dolls on a giveaway day at a ballpark. Can't you see it? It's a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday thing. He says the same thing in the same order. It should be obvious to fourth graders. I would rather have fourth graders populating the news organizations of this country right now. This is the one true thing that I worry about sometimes in my moment of absolute egotism. There is the possibility that this podcast is one of the top two or three news sources in America, not because it's particularly good or because I do it, but because everything else sucks. On the newest Iranian response, Trump, I have just read the response from Iran so called representatives. I don't like it totally. Unacceptable. Well, F Trump, we don't like you, and yet somehow you're still here. Urine hair from the Supreme Court, sam Alito lying no. The claims that Samuel Alito made about voter turnout in Louisiana in a landmark Voting Rights Act case where based on a misleading data analysis, a Guardian review has found, writs the Guardian. The New Republic version of this. In the Court's majority opinion, Alito claimed that the kind of racial discrimination that it prompted the creation of the Voting Rights Act no longer existed. He said black voters now participate in elections at similar rates as the rest of the electorate, even turning out at higher rates than white voters in two of the five most recent presidential elections nationwide and in Louisiana. Alito wrote he was citing a Friend of the Court brief submitted by the Department of Justice. That's Trump's Department of Justice, which is something out of Orwell's nineteen eighty four. It's the Department of Trump Justice, which is of course illegal. It relied on a statistical methodology that is not preferred by experts in determining statewide voter turnout. The brief calculated black and white voter turnout in Louisiana as a proportion of the total population of each racial group over the age of eighteen. This is generally considered a suboptimal method because it includes people who can't vote, including non citizens and people with felony convictions. In other words, Alito's arguing that there is no longer a disparity in who votes in Louisiana, and he uses this by and proves this by cooking the effing books. Sam Alito should be in prison, John Roberts, this is your last chance. The best thing for this country right now would be if we did not have a Supreme Court. It would be chaos. It would be better than this. Sam Alito is a crook. He is a megalomaniac. He is rewriting law and now changing numbers to justify his political prejudices and his hatred of minorities. Get him the out of here, John Roberts. When I said earlier, we need a Cronkite moment or a Howard Beale moment from somebody, now, I think Supreme Court Chief Justice of the United States John Roberts might be the right guy. I'm not holding my breath, speaking of which Erica Kirk has given the commencement address at White Trash College. I'm sorry I misread that Hillsdale. As Ron philip Kowski noted on social media, her husband wrote a book on how kids should not go to college. Missus Kirk is requesting privacy at this time. Also more speaking bookings cash only. Google's chief scientists its lead on Gemini AI went to give a scientific lecture at UC Berkeley, complains a tech dude. Modern AI research was the topic. He was not there to debate Gaza or Google contracts, but protesters disrupted the event anyway, and within ten minutes it was shut down. Goodf him, af Google. If you're not going to address public issues in public, don't speak in public. It's simple. F off tech nerds. And by the way, leave all your money from the United Kingdom after it literally lost more than one thousand local council seats to every party except the World Party, the band from the eighties. Keir Starmer's Prime ministership appears finally to be dying slowly. I have not thought that any of the challenges to it would actually unseat him, but it is now evident that there is a rebellion brewing inside his party, because even British labor recognizes when it is time to change the leaders of the leading liberal unit, our version of labor, the Democrats, No Chuck Schumer another twenty years. Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy went on Fox to defend along with his wife an idiot, They're the Great American Road Trip. This is a reality show that they have shot that will start dropping episodes online next month. They shot this while he was Transportation Secretary. And I know how unseemly this sounds. On the other hand, why are we complaining about this. The less shit this idiot does in the office, the better. The less shit the idiot wife does on Fox, the better. And again, the bottom line here is he's been out out of the office. He's been shooting a reality show, something he's done before and represents the limit of his intellect. The further Sean Duffy stays away from the office, the fewer plane crashes we will have and the more of us might survive this. And Garrett Graf is back at doomsday scenario his website on the White House Correspondent's Dinner, It wasn't an assassination attempt attempt quote. I wrote last week about how the shooting he put shooting in quotes, bless you, Garrett graf was so strange, and how there seemed plenty of reason to doubt that the suspect, Cole Thomas Allen, fired at all. With some further evidence, including the release of higher resolution security camera footage, graph Rights, some evidence from the government statements, and mostly worked by The New York Times, I'm prepared to be convinced that Cole Thomas Allen fired his shotgun once. But man, oh man, this still remains just about the strangest shooting I've ever seen, he continues quote. The higher resolution video shows several things not evident in the low quality version that Trump tweeted in the out hours after the incident. That's Trump who painted the gold not gold but gold and colored urine, including that Alan was evidently brandishing the shotgun as he ran through the checkpoint, and we can see the muzzle flashes from the officer who opened fire in the bottom left corner of the video. There is still no indication Garrett graft Rights on the video of a muzzle flash from Alan's shotgun, nor any reaction from the officer who is the apparent target that he is hit by a blast. One more quote, and I I have to send him a check But Garrett Graf rights. The high resolution video of Alan barging past and through the Secret Service checkpoint raises its own set of meaningful new questions about the security. The one officer who opened fire does so in the most reckless way, firing basically every shot at the suspect when one of his own fellow officers or agents is down range of the shot. He amazingly misses the suspect with every shot, and only by some miracle, also misses everyone around him. This, mister Graff concludes, could have been a mass shooting event from blue on blue fire of the Secret Service officer alone. Derek Graf Doomsday scenario is his site. It's a great subscription. It's worth it. Are our intrepid reporters in the mainstream taking notes, just reading this the way I did. Perhaps yesterday, the New York Times put a thirty one paragraph piece out about the White House correspondence dinner and the aftermath of the so called shooting, so called assassination attempt, and the thirty one paragraphs are entirely devoted to whether or not they should still have the dinner, nothing about the discrepancies in the video that this man and his laptop were able to perceive. The New York e fing Times. Thank you, Garrett Graff, you have tried. I appreciate you, But generally speaking, where fed? Okay? Two more segments before hiatus, and I am not sure changing you with this episode, am I? This might last you until I return. The rest of this episode is all Ted all the time. The real story of Ted Turner's triumph over intense suicidal impulses that he talked about with us the lowest level CNN staffers forty five years ago and who helped him through it, and the amazing recovery of another Ted, my first rescue dog. Ted, the producer of this show, I can now tell you in December, had eight hours of open heart surgery and he was on a heart lung machine. All Ted all the time. You'll give us twenty two minutes. We'll give you the Ted that's next. This has countdown, you know, this is countdown with you know Keith Alberman.
Speaker 4: Hey, millions of Americans from many backgrounds, many lifestyles.
Speaker 1: And several voices of my past who I wanted to put in here just in case this is the last one, and I don't think it is. You're not getting away that easily. My late friend Richard Lewis. It's tough for me to hear his voice. It is still impossible for me to believe he is not with us. So in a sense, there he is introducing countdown with the theme from the CBS Evening News on radio introducing him, followed by the newscast I interned on a scant fifty now forty eight years ago. It's not fifty eight yet, hopefully it'll be fifty eight eventually, the Channel five ten o'clock News with Bill Jorgensen in the summer of nineteen seventy eight. I've told that story and the story of the fabulous and gritty and highly principled newscaster Bill Jorgensen. And I'm always sorry that Bill Jorgenson did not associate himself or get tied in with in some way somebody else who I wanted to talk about in this episode, rather than doing a worse person segment here as they normally do. Who passed away in the past week? Ted Turner. Ted Turner put me on television he didn't do it directly, and given the amount of alcohol he was doing between nineteen eighty one when I started with CNN and nineteen eighty four when I left CNN, he probably wouldn't have remembered at any point there that I worked for him, although several times we did encounter each other directly. Once, as I have told here, almost resulted in a fistfight, another time almost resulted in a fire that would have consumed RFK Stadium in Washington. It was an interesting period of time with Ted, and I'd like to pray tribute to him, because if you can imagine this, a man who's passing was covered on networks worldwide as the father of essentially what we have now in television and in video news, so covering the whole gamut from TV to streaming to online stuff to videos on TikTok. I don't think he got his due nine tenths of what you see on television right now. Ted Turner either started, thought of himself or inspired And there are still dozens and dozens of people who you see and you listen to, who he rose or put in position to rise to prominence in this business, and they are still there and at a time when I am at that very sad maximized window in which all of the role models and all of the key people from my past are gradually slipping away, is almost indescribably important. And I'm going to read to you something I wrote about him in twenty fourteen and the reaction that that got and why, particularly Ted's decline, and I want to discuss how Ted's decline, as sad as it is, it's amazing that he lasted as long as he did so that he could decline, but how Ted's decline actually may have unfortunately put us some degree in the position we are in right now politically. As I said, he started my career indirectly. He was running CNN. It was already at the end of its first year, the beginning of its second year, and he'd already made his mark in sports, and people were forgetting that part of it. He'd already made his mark in cable. He was the guy who put the Atlanta local garbage UHF television station on the satellite for this burgeoning thing that he saw called cable. Because his father was an early television mogul in the sixties and in advertising, mostly in the South. He started my career indirectly because they needed to populate CNN Sports with a wave of people who worked cheap, and then when those people turned out to be really good and got real jobs, the big jobs of the day at the Channel forty five in Scranton, which would have paid more than CNN did in nineteen eighty, he had to get a second wave of people to go on and do sports and news and all the rest. So one of the interesting truths, and I don't know that it was Ted's idea. It may have been his fact totem the oddly named Ed Turner, it may have been his idea. I never did find out who this was who thought this up. But the original hiring process at CNN favored married couples who both worked in the business. Was your wife also a newscaster, We'll offer you more for both of you to come down there, because obviously the family moving was more likely to stay because they weren't both likely to get another job somewhere else, but they were often getting their first chance to work together, and they filled two jobs for the price of one move. So the company was populated by people who were married to each other. We had television directors who were married to producers, and we had we had co anchors who were married couples. It was it was quite an adventure. And then there was the second wave of people like me who had just no television experience, but who managed to after the first day anyway, not knock the camera over. And that was me. I met Ted for the first time at the Football Talks the nineteen eighty two strike. I have told this story. I walked in and my camera crew and I had won CBS Sports caps from the president of CBS Sports because I asked him a question. He had not been asked about the effect of the nineteen eighty two National Football League players strike on CBS Sports, and he had said, if you asked me a question, I haven't been asked already. Name was Neil Pilson. If you asked me a question I haven't been asked for I give you all. And we thought jobs, and he thought caps. So we had caps. And I didn't think twice about it. But there comes my camera crew to go interview Ted Turner as he walks into the Football Strike Talks at the Durral Hotel on Lexington Avenue in New York, in nineteen eighty two, and my camera crew is the same one, and they are proudly wearing their CBS Sports caps and Ted recognizes me as he comes down the long hallway towards the meeting room, and suddenly he sees the camera crew with me and the CNN microphone, and there we are wearing CBS Sports caps. And he'd berated me in front of everybody. He wouldn't answer any questions, he just insult to me. And I thought, I don't like this job, not particularly, and I don't like him doing that to me in public. Maybe I'll just sock him. And instead I had another idea, which was to stick CNN bumper stickers over the CBS Sports caps so that the next time he saw the crew, when the crew came in to take pictures of him meeting with all these football players he was trying to impress, there were CNN Sports caps and he loved that and vowed to get us all CBS or CNN Sports caps for Christmas. And there they were, and I reminded him as he left, don't forget the caps, and he gave me a dirty look, and then for Christmas he gave us caps. The second time I was at a football game with Ted when he, as I will describe in this piece that I aired in twenty fourteen, he managed to have essentially a pickup game of the striking players in front of literally invited guests at RFK Stadium in Washington, and he was so inebriated that, as I said, if he had lit a cigarette, the whole place could have gone up easily. That was Ted's life, and I wanted to emphasize something I heard nowhere else. And I've told the stories about his womenizing. I just told the story the other way the other day about him and the camera person at CNN who he propositioned and who stood up and slapped him at a French restaurant, the French Restaurant in Georgetown, and then they tried to make it good with her and gave her a job at the assignment desk, which led to her working in television news as an anchor for twenty or more years. Worked out, okay, nothing untoward happened. The only person who got actually violated in any sense there was Ted getting hit in the face, not that he would have felt it because again, there was so much alcohol involve but the one thing I did not hear in any of the obituaries of Ted Turner that kind of disappointed me was this truth. Jane Fonda saved his life. There is no other conclusion Ted Turner was on a suicidal jag, whether or not he was overtly trying to kill himself with alcohol or just was passively doing it because he didn't want to do it in some other way. I'll leave to your conclusions and the conclusions of his various biographers. But I had one story. I don't think I've ever told it publicly. I've told it privately many times, and it was well known around CNN in nineteen eighty two, again because of that football strike. I spent a lot of time in Washington at the CNN bureau in Georgetown in eighty two, and to a lesser degree eighty three, probably a couple of months old, told and Ted was still drinking. And one day one of our production assistants Runners Couriers, full time employee, lovely woman named Paula, and I'll just leave her last name out of it. Paula wonderful, nice, pretty intelligent. I don't know what happened in her career. I hope it was good. She was just a nice person there, and she was just a friend of mine, and she used to come out on shoots with us to get an idea of how to do that. And that's all it was, and that's all it was going to be. And that's you know, that's it's just somebody who worked with And Paula comes up to me one day and she's white as a sheet. And Paula was I don't know, five two, five three, And Paula was many wonderful things, but imaginative was not one of them. So I never had any doubts that this story was true.
Speaker 3: Keith.
Speaker 1: I just got back from picking up mister Turner at the airport and I went, oh, boy, here we go. No, no, it wasn't like that. That's how big his reputation was among the women at CNN already by that point. I didn't have to say what she thought I meant, or what I thought she meant. She said, no, no, no, I we didn't have the all the crew cars were out. I had to go use my and she had like a Simca. She had a car with a you know, a square footage of like forty square feet. There might have been a passenger seat maybe, and the car, knowing Paula, it was full of garbage anyway, and she had to brush it off to get him. She drove to Washington National Airport, she explained, and she picked Paula up and he didn't care because he was kind of drunk. And they drove back to the hotel. And I think he stayed at the Georgetown Holiday Inn, where the rest of us did. I think CNN was usually fifty percent of the population at that hotel, and it was ninety seconds walk from the bureau, so it made perfect sense. And I think Ted may have stayed there on a quick flying trip through DC. And Paula went to get him, and she was shivering and white as a sheet, and she said, Keith, I never got to say anything other than hello, mister Turner, this is my car over here. We haven't good with the crew car. Then no, that's not a problem, that little lady. Thank you, ah, she said. He got in the car. Then he started talking about talking about when he finally decided to do it, which way he was going to kill himself, not whether or not he was going to kill himself, but which way he was going to kill himself. And I went, oh God, and he he said, he said, you can't do what my daddy did. You can't. You can't. I'm adding the accent and the whole routine. You can't. You can't do what my daddy did and blow your brains out in the in the in the toilet, because then you never get the blood out of the grout. You had to redo the whole toilet in the bathroom, and you got to pull out the sinks. And he talked about apparently he went through every possibility of ending one's life and two possibly the lowest ranked employee in all of Turner Broadcasting, Paula. This is how self destructive Ted Turner was. And then he met Jane Fonda. Jane Fonda, I only know I met her once, very briefly. She was about eighty and extremely fotatious and a gas to be with. And the one thing I don't think anybody ever got to read people who hate her, people who love her, people who just know her from the movies. And she might have been taller, but not by much than Paula in Washington. Jane's not a big, big person, but the gigantic personality ten feet tall, and I knew of her only through my friend Donald Sutherland, who had a relationship with her, and described it in some detail. Nothing nothing, nothing scandalous, and nothing too detailed, but enough to make me respect Jane fondas as a as an alluring individual. How's that for euphemisms? But she saved Ted Turner whatever it was that was about Jane Fonda, the Jane Fonda that that Ted Turner knew, and I guess Donald Sutherland too, and Roger Vadim and whoever else she was married to or involved with. Ted Ted was told by Jane you have to clean up your act. A. You're killing yourself. B. If you want to be with me, you have to clean up your act. And he did in nineteen eighty two. If you had said to me, okay, Ted Turner is going to last, He's going to be alive when you're sixty seven years old, I would have taken that bet for any amount of money, and I would have taken the rest of the possibilities of what would have happened to him that in him living to twenty twenty six? Are you kidding me? I'm not sure he's going to live to what time is it now? It's ten after four, I'm not sure he's going to make it to five thirty. And I'm not being exaggerative here. And Jane Fonda saved his life. And what did he do with it? Well, he repopulated the bison in this country. All the bison who exists in the United States, basically have Ted Turner. To think, much of the private environment mentalism in this country was founded and funded by Ted Turner. He took the money that CNN began to produce for him in car load lots and spent it mostly on charity and the environment and goodwill measure measures across the country. And it turned out and the world, and it turned out he was an extraordinarily sincere individual. And he meant all the things that he intended with CNN, some of which were achieved in some of which the opposite of which was achieved, and none of which would have happened without Jane. Period. She saved him. The second half of his life was sobriety environmentalism and one terrible mistake selling CNN and that horrible time Warner Merger. If he hadn't done that, and he said that he might have been in position to do real damage to the creeping fascist movement that he recognized twenty years ago. And Trump, and I mean Trump particularly because Trump worshiped Ted Turner. Everybody has somebody they think is much better than them in life, and Trump's was Ted Turner. Not only did he worship him, he envied him, and he was most importantly afraid of Ted Turner. I never figured out what that was about, but I heard it on countless occasions from countless individuals. And you can go through all of the public comments that Trump made about Ted Turner over the years. Something about Ted Turner terrified Donald Trump. If Ted had been with us for the last ten years in a more realistic sense than he was, Who knows if CNN had been with us in the last ten years, If CNN had just had Ted Turner's name attached to it directly rather than this succession of morons who have run it over the years, who knows how life would have been different in this country. And that leads me into what I promised before. I'm going to reread this script with which I opened The Olderman Show on ESPN two on March twenty six, twenty fourteen. I think the script is self explanatory. I think it's worth reading it again, and then the reaction to it, I think is the punchline that you may enjoy. All right, are you ready?
Speaker 3: Here goes?
Speaker 1: We begin tonight with the Sports Emmy nominations. Yeah, yeah, we got Best Daily Sports Studio Show. I'm delighted for the staff. They should get something besides having to work with me. But my attention was drawn to the Lifetime Achievement Award they will be giving out at the ceremonies here in May. To Ted Turner, how did he not have one already? What you watch now? Essentially he invented all this, not ESPN. He didn't have that idea. Simately this idea would surpass and subsume one big idea that he did have. But sports on national television on more or less a daily basis, Ted did that, and the Daily Sports Studio show on at the same time every day or night. Ted did that too, and buying sports teams to have something to put on your television station. Ted did that too. WTCG Channel seventeen Atlanta was the fringiest of fringe television stations when he bought it in nineteen seventy, but then six years later he bought first the Atlanta Braves and then the Atlanta Hawks, and he bought a couple of satellite dishes, and the FCC made the fateful decision to let him put Channel seventeen up on the satellite so it could be shown on those fledgling cable systems around the country. Ted Turner, who was shameless among other things, promptly outbid George Steinbrenner and the New York Yankees and signed the first baseball player ever to take advantage of what we now know as free agency, Andy Messersmith. Messer Smith got what looked like all the money in the world from Ted Turner, more money than any baseball player had ever gotten or would ever get. One million dollars yeah, over three years. With one catch. He had to wear uniform number seventeen like the station number, and instead of having Messersmith written on the back of his uniform shirt, he had to have the word channel, so his uniform for at least the first couple of days read Channel seventeen. Baseball stopped that right quick, and it also stopped Ted the day he decided he would like to see what it was like to manage the Atlanta Braves. His lifetime record was oh and one. But the cable sports genie that was out of the bottle, and nobody was stopping it. And the bottle and this is a fitting analogy if I've ever written one, had Ted Turner's name on it. Next came news. Even then, his crazy idea cable news network rested squarely on the first regularly scheduled nightly sports newscasts in national television history, CNN Sports Tonight at seven eleven and two am Eastern, while Sports Center was on for fifteen minutes one night at seven pm and an hour the next at ten seventeen pm Sports Tonight on CNN. Was there come News or high Water? Seven nights a week. Of course, Ted Turner wasn't just shameless, He was also technically penniless. So he hired a couple of real veterans to run and anchor the thing. Bill McPhail, who helped invent the NFL on CBS and Monday Night Football, and his former CBS colleague Bob Westler, and Nick Charles, a star of Washington and Baltimore sports casts. He spent the money on them. Everybody else well. In nineteen eighty one, Ted Turner sent Bill McPhail to hire somebody like me. When I told Bill I made forty two thousand dollars the year before working in radio for Charlie Steiner, Bill spit his drink halfway across the room. We were planning on hiring six guys to start with for a total of ninety five thousand. Later, when we recalibrated, who got what of that ninety five thousand, they got me anyway, And they got Dan Patrick and Hannah Storm and Fred Hickman and Dan Hicks and Gary Miller and dozens of others and reporters and cameramen and editors and executives on shorts production assistant wound up becoming the president of CNN. His name was Jim Walton. He worked on one of my shows. Another became president of MSNBC, Phil Griffin. He was my field producer in New York. ESPN reshaped television sports, but early on CNN staffed ESPN and much of the rest of the industry. And I'm skipping how Ted Turner mainstreamed World Cup yachting at least for a while, and Ted and TNT and Ted and the Goodwill Games and Ted and World Championship Wrestling whose matches were held right above the CNN newsroom, so you could hear the wrestlers falling, particularly on Saturday afternoons when they were live in the newsroom in Atlanta, you could hear them fudding into the ceiling. And by the way, the Braves winning fourteen straight division titles under his ownership, and the repopulation of bison in this country. But my favorite Ted Turner story comes from something he did not pull off, not that he didn't try. When the football owners forced the players out on strike in nineteen eighty two, Ted sent me to cover it every day for eight months, and then one day he showed up to meet with the players, and after a little tiff that I, by the way, mentioned earlier, when he came out, he announced that he would bankroll and Tedle buys two games, one at RFK Stadium in Washington, the other at the Rose Bowl in southern California. Basically, it would pit each of them pick up teams of striking players the American Conference versus the National Conference. He called it the All Star Season, All Star season, acronym all Star Season. I asked him about the acronym. He winked at me. He shushed me, and then he took aside and he asked me what I thought of it, and I told him nobody would watch and he would lose money. And he looked at me and he said, nobody watches you, and I lose money on you.
Speaker 4: So what?
Speaker 1: He then explained that what he was really doing was setting the owners up. If he could put the games together and get them on TV with no more than a month's lead time, the players Union was going to partner up with him. Ted Turner's real motive for the ass the All Star Season ass ass ass was nothing less than creating his own football league, twenty four teams to begin play in this country in nineteen eighty three and be televised exclusively on TBS. All he needed was the players going along with him, and then a labor court ruling that they would go and get that the owners had forced the players union to strike would thus allow the union to negotiate with new employers. It's a standard provision of the National Labor Relations Board. Obviously he didn't get that court ruling. It's still the National Football League as opposed to Welcome to season forty four of Ted Turner's ass but Ted was shooting for nothing less than killing the National Football League and replacing it with a new one that he owned all by himself. Ted would have owned football, technically co owned it with the players. It would have been pure goddamn socialism. And don't forget, nearly all of this was done on a shoe string budget, with borrowed money, with all of us his employees convinced he was crazy, and the whole thing wouldn't last till next Tuesday, And when we would get our paychecks, we would race each other to the bank to cash them, just in case there wasn't going to be enough for everybody. A Lifetime Achievement Award in Sports Television Emmys. Ted Turner has been in the Television Hall of Fame since nineteen ninety one. A Lifetime Achievement award. Hell, they ought to give him two a couple days later. Again, that was March twenty six, twenty fourteen. I got a letter at my home, very unusual. I didn't give that address out. I got the mail somewhere else. March twenty eighth, twenty twenty four Mister Keith Olerman, two hundred and e sixty ninth Street spelled correctly I might add New York, New York one zero zero two to one. Dear Keith, your piece on Ted Turner and the Lifetime Achievement Award was fantastic, and you're right when you say he should get two of them. Keep up the great work, Keep up the great work. Is underlined in black sharpie, boldly with a stroke underneath it with best wishes, sincerely Donald J. Trump, and its signed. It signed rather reminiscent of that birthday card to Jeffrey Epstein, it signed just Donald. When I say Ted Turner somehow terrified Donald J. Trump, somehow was Trump's dream and nightmare at the same time, I ain't kidding he was so important to Trump. Trump wrote me a fan letter about him. One more edition before we wrap this up in on the actual hiatus, and it is the story of my dog Ted. And if you're tired of me talking about dogs, a screw you, b you want to hear this one anyway. This is one of the most fantastic things that has ever happened in my life or anybody else's. That's next.
Speaker 2: This is countdown.
Speaker 1: On the twenty eighth of July twenty twenty five, I took my first rescue dog Ted, who had come to me nearly what seven years previously as Spaghetti, a dog who needed a Maltese of several months who needed heart surgery. I took him in for a checkup. Ted was supposed to be a foster. I was a perfect foster fail. Ted became part of our little family of mostly dogs and me, who they shared ownership of. And I said to him, I will do anything for you except call you Spaghetti. So Spaghetti Saghetti Teddy Ted my dad's name. How perfect. Ted is a wonderful dog. He's about eight pounds with a personality of about an eight hundred pound animal. He loves people. He goes hunting for girls in Central Park. He likes to cuddle up next to girls on blankets in Central Park. They all say the same thing, how did you teach him how to do this? And I say, I didn't teach him how to do it. I'm hoping I get to learn it from him. Anyway. Ted was having a checkup for his heart. He had the surgery and it was brilliantly successful under the guidance of a cardiologist and surgeon at the Animal Medical Center in New York named Dennis trafney. He came through it with glowing results so good that they wrote up the results of what they called a ballooning to loosen up a stuck valve inside at his heart, they put a thread in through his juguar vein stopped his heart, pumped this little balloon in his heart to knock the stuffy kind of valve open and closed again and again, like you knock the rust off hinges by continually opening and closing the door. And he was fine ever since. But as often happens, as usually happens with Malteses and with other small dogs, Jack Russell's our common breed for this. King Charles Cavaliers are common breed for this. He developed mitral valve disease. Most Malteses will have this. It will contribute to their deaths. However most of them have it as an annoyance. It is quite literally a hole in the mitral valve, and it causes blood to regurgitate, and it screws up that system by which fresh blood with oxygen in it is pumped around the body and the other blood, the used blood, if you will use that expression, is brought back into the heart and filled again in the lungs with oxygen. It slows that down. It tires them out, but usually it hits in their teens and if it hurts them, if it contributes to premature death, it will be by a factor of a year perhaps, and a Maltese in good health can live to seventeen. I believe the record might be twenty. I know of some who have led lives of eighteen years. Ted was seven and a half years old, and he had been a year before diagnosed with this disease that his sister, Rose was diagnosed with in twenty eighteen. Rose had had by this point had had mitral valve disease for seven years. They start with a drug called pemo Benden, which is essentially a chewable supplement that improves the heart in every area except the mitral valve, so that everything else is working at top form, and if it works right, you are essentially improving everything else while the mitral valve disease reduces the quality of the heart's efficacy in one area and you balance it out. Rose's use of this drug has been so effective that she has never She takes two a day, one in the morning and one at night, and she has never needed a third one, which she can have let alone any kind of intervention. Rose has since twenty eighteen gotten those two pills, and every one of her checkups has been better than the previous one. Stevee, my oldest dog, has this too. She has the following symptom every couple of weeks. She does this one cough every three or four weeks. This was the extent of her disease, her mitro valve disease. As she approached her fourteenth birthday, but Ted was beginning to well. He liked to sit on my lap during walks. Walks were okay for him, a little tense. Ted doesn't like dogs out there who are bigger than he is without written authorization. He's one of those dogs. He will not bark or bother dogs his own size or smaller, and he's often quite friendly to them. As I said before, he loves people. He has a wonderful personality and is as handsome as the devil. And he's very loud, and he will bark a whole lot, and he loves to sit on my lap outside. He loves to stand on my lap and bark at passer by dogs. He's wonderful he is my son, and like my dad, Ted, he's actually an architect. He builds himself a little cocoon every night out of blankets, and sometimes I swear to you he puts them in perfect form. He's got a California ranch design he uses every six days with his head while grunting and clearly swearing like a Stevadoor. Ted puts together his home every night on my bed. He's marvelous. But on these walks, the stops to go and have a sit down on my lap. We're increasing. And I noticed that he seemed to be wanting to stop every couple of blocks or in the park, every I don't know, two or three hundred yards. When it had been every four hundred yards or every five blocks. Now it was half that. Now it was the only thing I noticed. No cough, no lack of appetite, no seeming lack of energy, just this one trait. And so the checkup on July twenty eight, twenty twenty five, was just that, a checkup, bi annual checkup, and the doctor came back, the cardiologist at the Animal Medical Center in New York said he's now in advanced mitrovalve disease. The next step is congestive heart failure and death, and I'm sorry. There's nothing we can do about it. We can increase his pemo bendin, we can try certain palliatives, but probably he has a year a year and a half, and it will be of decreasing quality, increasing stress, increasing grief. While I was stunned, Ted is as vibrant as any dog as I've ever met, and his volume embarking didn't slow down. Ted is a straight forward, full speed ahead, damn the torpedoes kind of dog. Ted leaves nothing in the locker room. And I was shocked, and I didn't see it. I didn't see any of the decline doctor Betsy Bond was talking about, and there was no reason to suspect she was mistaken. She had been She was about to celebrate her fiftieth anniversary in the field at the Animal Medical Center in New York and is revered, and as the joke goes, it is literally true that her ID is in black and white. She's been there that long, and she is that much of an THINGT already. In any event, I just didn't see it, and I thought perhaps she was reading something wrong. Well, obviously that's how you begin to act in denial. But I did have something I could do to verify or refute what she said. He was operated on as a puppy less than one year old by as I mentioned before, doctor Dennis Trafney, who had since left the hospital and become a cardiologist working with dogs and other animals in New York on a kind of freelance basis, going from veterinary clinic to veterinary clinic on a once every two weeks basis or thereabout, carrying his equipment with him and doing a great service to a lot of people who could not afford to go to the animal medical center. So I made an appointment to go see Dennis Trafney, because, after all, he had been inside Ted's heart. He knew what he was talking about. He knew what he would see. He would recognize it, he would know the territory. He scoped Ted and felt his chest and assess things, and closed his computer and looked at me and said, no, she's right, and in fact, I think she may be under selling it. This is what I would do if Ted were my dog and he was my patient. So I feel that sense of proprietorship. I would call the University of Florida at Gainesville. I would call their veterinary clinic, their small animal hospital, and I would do it, not just today, I'd do it right now. I'd go out into the lobby of this building or out unto the street here and phone. I would not wait till you get home, because it's already late in the afternoon and you will have lost today. If you call today, you can get this process started today. Don't wait till later. Well, my blood ran cold at that. When was the last time you were told something like that about yourself or about a dog. Don't wait till you get home to make this call. You have to do this now, not half an hour from now. Ted blissfully unaware of this, simply barked at a large dog walking past us. I called, prepared to call the University of Florida, and then I realized I didn't know why I was calling them. I said, Dennis, why am I calling them? And he looked at me like I had three heads. They're doing the Japanese surgery there now, and I blinked at him briefly and went, they are the Japanese surgery was something that Dennis Trafte and I had talked about in twenty eighteen when he operated on Ted for the stuck valve in his heart. It was the backup in case that did not work. Because in Japan, at a clinic in fact Yokohama, right outside of Tokyo, they had developed, perfected and put into use surgery to repair mitro valves and other small, microscopically sized body parts in the hearts of small, almost microscopically sized dogs like Ted. They were doing the equivalent of surgery on a human infant, but on small dogs, and essentially it was bypass surgery. The dog would be hooked up to a heart lung machine. A profusionist, which is what somebody who operates one of those is called, would be operating Ted's or whoever's body his heart and lungs, her heart and lungs. While this delicate surgery was done, the surgery itself was not that much of a problem. The process, the expense was, and it was being done in Tokyo. There are all sorts of issues about getting your dog to Tokyo from say New York, but now they were doing it the University of Florida. I had no idea, he said, Well, they're not promoting it yet because they just started that I think last year maybe or two years ago. But one of the Japanese doctors is coming over and spends I don't know, five months a year here and he does the surgery and he's training the surgeons there and they're doing it. And Ted would be a really good candidate, I think for this. And I sard you recommend him, and I'm sure they would at the AMC, and I said the AMC, they don't. They said there was nothing to do. Well, there may not be official methods of recommending this yet, and I'm sure they're not convinced that this is any good. After all, it's only been done on Earth for the last ten years. They had begun to do it in London, I believe in twenty twenty again repatriated Japanese surgeons who decided there was a field to work in outside of Japan, and who also altruistically, as is the case with the doctor who went to Florida, doctor Matsura, they wanted to bring this to America and teach American surgeons to do the surgery, so that this surgery could be done at every place where there were dogs facing death because of what could now be corrected surgically. Damn the torpedoes and the cost. If you wanted to spend the money and they had the time. If you had eight days to keep your dog in a surgical icee you after eight hours of open heart surgery, why not what is more important to you? Roughly the same price the life of your dog, particularly if he's eight years or younger and might be getting nine years more of life out of it instead of a terrible death or a mid range SUV about the same cost. Well, now they were doing this not in Japan and London, but in Florida, and so we put the wheels in motion to apply to the University of Florida, Gainesville, which I had never been at, nor contemplated going to, and an application a reference, a referral by the Anamal Medical Center to the facility in Yokohama in Japan, and to the Royal Veterinary College in London, the three places on this planet where they did the surgery. Now I immediately went into a stage in which I looked at Ted and his robustness, and we walked home and he was fine. I think we only stopped once. So He blied all of the issues that were behind the idea that he was sick, That he was not slowing down because he wanted to spend more time on my lap. He was slowing down because he was running out of stamina, because his heart was very seriously damaged by this disease. None of that was apparent, and I suddenly began to think I was setting in process something that would risk his life for something that need not be risked. In other words, very bluntly, was I going to send him onto an operating table for a very risky procedure that could kill him, for a disease that would not kill him? In other words, bluntly, Again, further on the bluntly scale, was I making the choice to kill him at the age of seven and a half. The application proceeded. We had zoom meetings with the University of Florida doctor Matsura and his fellow doctor Greta Chu, and in one memorable zoom meeting, they scared the hell out of me. This exacerbated my feeling that what if I was doing this for me rather than for him. I mean, I knowe the death by mitra valve disease for a dog is unpleasant, to say the least. It is essentially an internal smothering. Fluid goes into the lungs on top of everything else that stops working. Now you have fluid in the lungs, there are awful coughs. There are resting breathing rates of fifty breaths a minute while the dog is deeply asleep. A good number for a dog in a minute is twenty. Twenty five is great, thirty is okay. Some dog in deep sleep with great lungs and great hearts are as low as fifteen. The dogs who succumb to mitrovalve disease, it goes.
Speaker 4: Into the fifties.
Speaker 1: It's a horrible thing. It is literally your dog gasping for breath, with no improvement possible. And the disease, as horrible as it is, sometimes sounded like it was better than the way they describe this operation because of all the things that could go wrong, and all the things you'd have to prepare yourself for. And when I say all the things, they listed thirty or forty things that could go wrong, and they do that deliberately. The demand for this surgery is extraordinary, and they had just gone to doing two of them a week. Because it is an all day operation. It requires three people who are designated as surgeons, the profusionist, doctor Chu, who is the number two on this and doctor Matsura, who is at this rate anyway here in this country thirty weeks of the year working at the University of Florida, and there can be unbelievable consequences. Usually not on the table. The dog is usually since he supported by a heart lung machine, is usually in good shape throughout the surgery. It is in the hours thereafter that the nightmare can begin, when the body will not restart, that it's been through so much, that it's been through so much damage because of the mitro valve disease, that simply eight hours of open heart surgery on an eight pound dog is a terrible ratio. And the dog succumbs, and there are blood clots, and there is internal bleeding, and there are shocks, and there are strokes, and there are organ failures. And the night after the surgery, the hours between two am and sunrise after the surgery are the dark period. Then every hour after after that that the dog survives, it improves the chances that there'll be another hour. Then another day, and another month and another year. But the point of that conversation is to get you off the list. If you are not prepared to go the distance, you've got to go to Gainesville, Florida. You've got to stay there with your dog for at least eight days. He's going to be in the ICU, and you're not going to see him for at least forty eight hours. When you see him, he's going to be wired up and he's going to see you for about five minutes, and then you'll see him in increasing doses during his stay there. But the reason we keep him there is he is still at mortal risk until we give him back to you literally one week after you checked in. Then we should probably have you stick around for another week and have you recheck him in another week after that, and then there's a recheck at your local hospital a month later, and then at two months, three months, six months, a year if you're lucky, And then there is that haunting thought of what if he doesn't really need this? Ted was accepted. I didn't have a zoom call in Japan. He was accepted in Japan. He was to be accepted in London, but something went wrong in the process, and by the time that needed to be resolved it was an academic question. I was ready to take him to Yokohama to go through a sort of soft He wouldn't have been in a cage somewhere, He would not have been in an embargo situation somewhere, but he would have had to have repeated tests so that he wouldn't carry rabies into Japan. The Japanese islands are free of rabies and they intend to keep it that way. But he was accepted at the University of Florida. The question now became when would he be scheduled. Our conference calls were in August and the beginning of September in twenty twenty five, and the next set of dates for this surgery, the mitro valve surgery at the University of Florida, was to be in March of twenty twenty six or March of twenty twenty six, and Ted would be put on the emergency list. If there was a cancelation, perhaps he could be scheduled earlier, and repeated checkups at the Animal Medical Center were recommended, and I should take good care of him and look for the following things and not stress him out too much, and keep him on walks, but keep him on short walks, and be very responsive to when he wanted to stop, and perhaps carry him home, and look for this, and look for that, and look for this. And I was one of the lucky ones who had been accepted. And all this time I'm still thinking, what if he doesn't really need this and I'm making a choice to put him on that table, and what if he doesn't survive it. I can't think of anything more horrible. And everyone can counseled me, Oh no, no, no, you're doing something extraordinary for him. You're doing more this way. No, no, no, no, tell that to yourself at three o'clock in the effing morning. Unfortunately, or fortunately perhaps in one respect, that became an increasingly academic question, as it was while we were waiting for something to happen with his scheduling. Is it going to be March? Something going to open beforehand? Maybe January December? Perhaps if we were really lucky, something would happen. What kind of operation could I make to get him down there? We had all sorts of transportation issues, if you recall, in the fall and early winter of twenty twenty five, with airplane schedules being completely ruined by the Trump administration and flights being canceled in long delays, And what if I couldn't get him there in time? And what would I do? What about a train? What about making him a care dog? I mean he was good at smelling those many seizures that I have in connection to the not so harrowing sounding disease I have called restless legs syndrome. It's a real thing. But would he be qualified to get on a train?
Speaker 4: I get a car?
Speaker 1: How would I get there? I have it never been that? What's it near? One of the variables ended very quickly while we were waiting for further word from the University of Florida, and doctor Matsura and doctor chu Ted began to really show symptoms of this disease. And by that, I mean his heart rate got out of hand. You could see the hair moving on his chest with every heart beat, and when he would fall deeply asleep, his breath would get up to thirty five forty five a minute, and then he began to gasp for air, and as September became October, I had to rush him to the Animal Medical Center. Four different times each time he stayed at least one night, I was with him on a walk when he went into congestive heart failure. I could see it on his face. I could not pinpoint the exact moment, but we were walking along and he slowed to a stop and looked up at me, and suddenly his eyes were a little cloudy. And Ted has beautiful perceptive piercing I know what you did last summer eyes, as do all malteses. And I saw it, and I knew it had happened, and it was October and he needed the surgery, and it was clear to me he not only needed the surgery. And all those worries I had about making him go on to a table when maybe he really didn't need this and I was risking his life unnecessarily they were out the window and replaced entirely by I need to get him on to that table as quickly as goddamn possible. His grade, and they grade the candidates for this surgery at the University of Florida, drop from A one. You have the disease, but it's not urgent B two, which was Ted's initial assessment. It's worsening but still totally manageable, not impacting his life significantly. He's he could plateau, he could get better, he could wait for a while for the surgery. And then you get into the numbers that indicate that congestive heart failure has begun and the dissent could be within a matter of weeks, certainly within months. And that was the day they turned Ted from a B two to a C three. He stayed one night for three days, and his habits, his willingness to eat, dropped to almost nothing. And it got so bad that at the AMC one of his two cardiologists who worked with him on a regular basis, one was Airon Achilles, and the other was a great, great doctor Hunter Enderly, who took unbelievably personal care of Ted. In the worst of the hours in September and October and November of twenty twenty five, he gave him the cheapest, saltiest, tastiest human chicken in a can. And Ted would eat that, and we said, screw it, we're just trying to get him in one piece onto that operating table. Whenever that day comes. He ate that stuff. I mean you could smell the salt on it. But he liked it. And he would eat it, and he would eat nothing else. And when I would go over and visit him while he was hospitalized, he would eat it out of my hand and then just curl up in my lap for an hour or so and just sleep, breathing monstrously, heavily all that time, slow motions. Suffocation of the first dog I ever rescued, who I promised to do anything for, And I could do nothing for him but wait. On the night of Friday, November seventh, just as November descended, the dark November of our souls, as Melville wrote in Moby Dick, about quarter to seven, I think it was my phone rang and the return address was Gainesville, Florida, and I went no way, and it was doctor Greta Chu, who said, there's been a cancelation. We have an open Could you bring ted here and be here on And I said, yes, I'll be there. And she said, I didn't tell you what day it was. I said, I don't care what day it is. Is it tomorrow? We'll be there tomorrow And she said no, but almost, it's a month from Sunday, December ninth. I said, we'll be there. What time? Well, we check in about nine to forty five, I'll be there at eight. So the next month literally became Hunter Enderley and Aaron Achilles and the senior cardiologists at the AMC, Phil Fox, Betsy Bond, all of them just trying to get him to the finish line. Any trick we had to do, anything we had to do to improve something called see reactive protein score, which was an overall indication of inflammation, which I learned. I learned awful lot about mitral valve disease. And then as it became increasingly apparent that there was nothing I could rely on in a million years to get us there by commercial air, and of course the variables of flying with the dog. Would he have to go in the hold? Would he have to go in a cage in the back? Could he sit on the floor? Could he sit on my lap? What about the train and the guide dog? Could you know, wear dark glasses and lie and said, was bad trouble with my vision? Was he? Was he a support dog? Was he a seizure sensing dog? None of this, None of it made sense. Pay the two dollars, as the old line goes, I called up and rented a private jet. I have never been on a private jet in my life. I never anticipated doing it. I think it is wasteful, I think it is ruinous. I don't like it. I don't like small planes. I did it. I did it round trip, and I said, well, okay, I'm going to sell that baseball card and this I used game used baseball and I'm gonna sell that, and I'm not going to buy this, and I'm gonna do I'm gonna do it. We have to be there. We have to be there that morning. It's his chance, and I don't know if it will work. I may be bringing him to his death, but I know this. Whatever his chances are, and they guestimated seventy percent, that's seventy percent he has, and his chances of seeing the year twenty twenty seven if we don't do this are zero percent. So my attitude switched entirely to I'm going to get this done. Ted who I often quote as the producer of this show, sits at my feet as he is sitting now in my little studio. It is perhaps the only time he is entirely quiet. It's the best kind of producer. He's there to support and lick his feet. We got there. We flew out of Teeterborough. And by the way, was I ever wrong about flying in a small plane? Oh my goodness, I don't know how the hell I'm ever going to get on a real one again, which is going to be extremely costly in the days to come. And moreover, Ted loves flying, who knew, even on the way down, as sick as he felt, he just enjoyed the hell out of it. And we got to Gainesville on Sunday, December seventh for December eighth check in, And just after we arrived the airborne floods. It rained like hell, and I don't know how we would have gotten in commercially or any other way the rest of that day. We would have missed the check in at nine forty five. His window, his chance on December ninth might have gone to some other dog. And so on the ninth of December I got an uber and Oliver we went to the University of Florida, which is a magnificent, sprawling, gigantic community that, other than the lack of snow and hills, immediately reminded me of Corneill University, especially the emphasis on agriculture and the intellectual superiority of that environment, even though it's surrounded by horse farms and open piles of manure. Just like itthaic of New York, rural, rural, rural, educational oasis, rural, rural, rural, A magnificent facility at the University of Florida. The city in Florida, by the way, Gainesville, that is furthest away from any beach, and so furthest away from your idea of what Florida cities look like. There's Spanish moss on the trees. It's just Georgia called Florida in many senses. I like the town immeasurably. The hotel was great, and it was a hotel full of dogs because half the people who were there were there to have their animals treated at the small or large animal hospitals at the University of Florida, which, by the way, have a footprint the size of Madison Square Garden. I have never before, being an arrogant New Yorker, ever thought of myself as the guy who just fell off the turnip truck. The yokel from out of town says, gee, you look at all the big buildings. That was me. Their waiting room is three stories tall. It's a five minute walk to the back, and in the back of the waiting room there's a bagel shop. There's a bagel shop that serves mixed coffee like a Starbucks. The waiting room at the Animal Medical Center perhaps the finest facility in the Northeast, as a bench and a bunch of chairs, and they've recently celebrated the reopening of the parking space out front three hundred parking spaces at the University of Florida. I was kind of impressed, and then I met the doctors. Doctor Chu was gracious and professional. Doctor Matsua was warm kind. I was told later that his favorite thing after one of these surgeries is to be the first to take the dog he has operated on out for a pee. I'd like to see your heart surgeon do that with you now. There was one shocking moment when I handed doctor Matsura my boy Ted, who, of course tail wagging and bright eyed, even though he was so sick. I handed him to doctor Matsua, and doctor Matsua involuntarily felt how powerful, overly powerful his heartbeat was, and he just went and I went, yeah, I have a feeling we got here just in time. And he said yes, you did. We will take care of him. I would like to say that the next twenty four hours were the longest of my life, but that would be a lie, because my job was to get him there, and I did it. I spent the money, I made the effort, I got the right doctors to help him. I devoted that month to him. I couldn't do anything else, but I did it. I did my part of it. I'm not the surgeon. I know the difference. I was preparing to say goodbye to him when I handed him to doctor matsur if I never saw him again. I knew at that point that the worst outcome was not him dying during the operation or after it, but him dying of this terrible disease and essentially suffocating over months while I watched and could do nothing. That was the worst outcome. Something untoward happening during the sury was the second worst outcome. Everything else was perfection. And so I waited, and they spent the rest of the day examining him and checking blood pressure measurements, and I believe thirty six different locations on his body, and he's not that big, so they knew exactly where to make the incisions, a day's worth of pre operation screenings, and the next morning, I guess about six am, he went in and was given the initial sedation so they could do even more tests and take more scopes and take more pictures and take more videos. Because, as I said, the premise of this is not that it's untoward outer space miraculous surgery. It's that you are applying what you would do to a baby that size only to a dog, and each time you do it, you learn a little bit more, hasten the process, lower the cost, and eventually the dog, god willing, this becomes available to almost everybody. The surgery itself began, I guess a little before nine on December ninth, Tuesday, twenty twenty five, and it lasted until about four pm. They told me to expect a call. There's no reason to hang around. They weren't going to let me see him. There was nothing I could do if it went wrong. Go back to the hotel and wait there, try to rest, do something. There are caves with bats in them if you want to go see that, and I was like, yes, that's exactly what I want to do. You'll be hearing from us no later than five point thirty six o'clock, six o'clock, they haven't called. Now I'm beginning to go cold. At six point twenty, the phone rings. It's doctor Chew. Everything went well. There are a few minor glitches, but nothing untoward. He was much sicker than we thought, just like you said, but you got the inflammation down sufficiently. That sea reactive protein crap. That worked out. Okay, good job by you and the guys at the AMC. She didn't put it quite that way. Now we wait. We wait to make sure his heart gets going again on its own, all of his organs. And if you do not hear from us overnight, that's good news. On Wednesday the tenth, my eyes opened close open slowly to the light coming in through the window with the Hilton on the campus at the University of Florida.
Speaker 2: And I looked at my phone and it was seven forty five and the goddamn morning. And I shouted.
Speaker 1: And the phone. I don't think it was ten minutes later, as doctor Chew, he's doing very well. There was an hour in there where we weren't sure which direction it was going to go, but he fought through it. He had what we call smoke and I said, what on God's name is smoke? Well, it's kind of a precursor for blood clots, kind of a haziness that appears in our videos and our scopes, and it was there, and we thus have to increase the blood thinners so that the clots don't form and the stroke doesn't happen and he doesn't die because of that. There's still many risks, but that's the primary one. We're beginning to see it dissipate, so you can come see him this afternoon. Okay, fell back asleep, immediately, got up in plenty of time for the pre arranged hour, went in and saw him, and I walk in and there he is in his oxygen room, awake, sitting up, not sedated, not zoned out by the drugs, a lot of wires, wearing a sweater. Doctor Matsura is there, a big smile on his face, shakes my hand. He says, I think it went very well. So far it has. There's no more smoke. Doctor Chu smiled. They opened the gates. I petted him, I leaned down and kissed him, which is when he recognized me from the smell, I assume, and started barking his head off, and I know all of Ted's barks, and that one was get me the f out of here, at which point I said, i'll see you tomorrow. Let's not agitate him any further, and they put him back in And the next day I came and saw him and they brought him into the room with me. They detached him from all of his connections, and I saw him for maybe twenty minutes that day the Thursday, and then Friday it was more like an hour, and we went for a walk with doctor Matsura, and then Saturday it was a couple of hours, and Sunday it was more and Monday they examined him and discharged him, and I took him back to the hotel, and I had thought about going immediately back to New York, but the point was that in that first week after the surgery, he's got to stay away from other dogs, and he needs to be carefully controlled because he's on blood thinners because the clot risk is still there, so he can't fall. So if you're going to have him anywhere, he's got to be in a position where if there is a fall or a collision or something, you can get him to the hospital immediately. Why am I going back also to New York when these doctors here in Gainesville who just did a literally life saving, last minute job, and you can see it in his eyes. They were just inside this heart. They know not only what they should see, but what they are not seeing. They were just they So we hung around for a week, just me and Ted, going for like three walks of maybe five minutes a day, and he got better and better and better and better. And Ted, who was on when we left New York seven different medications, and who was on in the week until the recheck before we left Gainesville, Florida, two days before Christmas twenty twenty five, Ted was on seven different medications, eight different medications, most of which had to be refrigerated, and I had to give it to them three times a day. And he wanted to run around because he felt so good because of course his heart now worked and it wasn't leaking blood all through him. We come out of the recheck a week later and he's not on any medications anymore except the blood thinners. Three months on the blood thinners, that's it. We flew back to New York the next day, once again an hour on my lap Ted looking out the window, clearly getting the concept, barking happily and waving his tail, waving his tail like a scimitar, waving his tail at the clouds. He loved flying, took a nap, woke up and got up and loved flying the rest.
Speaker 2: Of the way. That was Christmas.
Speaker 1: Every day since then Ted has gotten a little bit better. The major issue with Ted at this point, Ted causes my wrist to hurt because he pulls on our walks. He pulls on the leash because he has so much energy because his heart is now fine. The first time he was rechecked at the one month mark at the Animal Medical Center, doctor Aaron Achilles, who I mentioned before, with doctor Hunter Enderley, the two local managers of this project, said well, he's doing fantastically. The results are this is a different dog. It's just great. But we want to continue the PMO bendon just for precaution. And I said, you know, he was taken off the PMO bendin after the surgery, and she went, what, well, then, these these are not tremendous results. These are unbelievable results. This is perfection. The official opinion of the Animal Medical Center on this procedure on this surgery, on the Japanese surgery to use doctor Trafney's term is there now in favor of it, and they now recommend it, and they now tell their clients who are in this situation, and unfortunately there are dozens every month. You should call the University of Florida a small animal hospital, because this works and it will save dogs. Ted was the eighty third dog to get this surgery in North America, or South America for that matter, or in fact anywhere except London or Japan. Eighty third. If he had been born ten years earlier than he was, if I had become a dog person ten years earlier than I did, he would have been out of luck. We would have had to find a different planet to go to. They didn't do this surgery in twenty and fourteen anywhere, and now we had this. When I first found out about it, my first response was, what about the other Ted's whose humans can't possibly afford this figure, Well, I'm going to pay for somebody who can't do it. And then in discussions at the University of Florida and discussions with friends of mine, it dawned on me that it's not a bad gesture. But the problem is that doesn't increase the number of dogs.
Speaker 2: Who get this operation and get their lives saved.
Speaker 1: It just changes the socioeconomic nature of one of them or two of them. So while I make efforts to, you know, fund another program somewhere so this can be done, maybe here in New York, maybe an expansion of the program, since it's already up and running at the University of Florida. They are dark twenty two weeks a year while doctor Matsura is back in Japan while we work on that. I am very happy to say that I met someone who's dog was also dying of mitral valve disease, and who was in fact in worse shape than Ted. And this guy had this, then he is now fine. Then he is now off meds. Because this works. The punchline of all of this, especially in the context of other things I have discussed here on this program, was when they told me about the smoke and the threat of blood clots and thus seizures I've mentioned before. I believe I'm pretty spiritual. Certainly dogs have increased my spirituality and my belief in the meaningfulness of the universe and the intentionality of the universe, But I subscribe to no religion, and most of them make me laugh out loud at the obviousness of the scam that they are perpetrating on people. But the belief is a different issue altogether. I just think you can talk directly with whatever you think the universe is. If you like to go to church because you like to sing, have a nice Sunday. Otherwise, I think you can do it in the privacy of your own mind, and in the privacy of my own mind. When they told me what faced ted on that night of nightmares in the hours after the surgery, as December ninth became December tenth, I said, one thing, universe, blood clots, strokes, heart disease, give it to me instead. I think it's nice to know that sometimes somebody, something, some entity in the universe listens to you and says it's a deal. By the way, the Large Animal Hospital down at the other end of the waiting room at the Small Animal Hospital at the University of Florida at Gainesville, that's where they do dentals, dentals on tigers. And as I said to doctor Darcy Aiden, who's one of the heads of the Small Animal program there like me at Cornell grad Corneill Vett, and I'm Cornell agg I said, they are sedated for that right if you or a dog, If your dog or a dog you know is up against it, particularly if it's heart. The University of Florida. Hopefully in the next ten years that can expand to University of Florida or over here, over there, over there, over here, over here, right now, call them, I mean, I said to them, if I ever had a heart problem, could I just come down here and scrunch up on one of the tables. If you guys could work on a bigger you know, a bigger canvas than you're used to, I'll sign. I'll sign something all right on that point, I've done all the damage I can do here. Thank you for listening. The musical directors have Countdown or John Phillip, Shaneil on keyboards, handling of the orchestration, Brian Ray on guitars, bass and drums. Their work is produced by Tko Brothers, and I think mister Chaneale and my friend mister Ray with all of my heart. Nancy Faust is the best baseball stadium organist ever. She's responsible for the satirical and pithy musical comments and for a great deal of the support for this program. Thank you, Nancy. My announcer today is my late friend Richard Lewis, and I thank my other announcers Larry David, John Dean, Stevie van Zant, Jonathan Banks, Dennis Leary, Kenny Maine, Tony Korneiser, Nancy, the late Howard Feyneman, all of whom we're willing to associate themselves with this rag tag podcast, and we signed on nearly four years ago. You are all the best. This program was produced by Ted and Stevie and Rose and Kit and my late boys Mine and Mishu. Everything else was, as always my fault. That's countdown for today, Day four hundred and seventy seven of America held hostage again exactly nine hundred and eighty six days until the scheduled end of Trump's lame duck and lame brained term, unless he's removed sooner by the Epstein files remember them, or Iran where he's losing because he's an idiot, or by Patel Brand Bourbon, or most likely by the urine colored walls of his oval office and his urine colored hair in my absence. This is what I ask of you. Do not say that is Trump Gold, say that is Trump. Urine. The next scheduled countdown will be I don't know. I bet you can bet on it somewhere until the next one. I'm Keith Olberman. Good morning, good afternoon, good night, good luck, and think big, be big, my friend.
Speaker 3: A total and complete disaster. Trump is not that stupid. He's made some deal with the deem state to throw the election of Democrats. That's something. This can be.
Speaker 1: Countdown with Keith Olderman is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.