Speaker 1: Hey, party people, It's Rosie Perez. If you like sasa as much as I do, I hope you'll join me in person. At WNYC. We're celebrating a new podcast that goes deep into the history of salsa in Nueva York. We'll talk about the music and get a special live performance from two time Latin Grammy winner Ella Brick. June thirtieth. Tickets at WNYC dot org, slash events.
Speaker 2: Hello Slave, Yes, I was in a meeting.
Speaker 3: I just read here text.
Speaker 4: It is January ninth, twenty twenty six, and producer Julita Martinelli steps out of a meeting to answer a call.
Speaker 5: He he is getting out today.
Speaker 2: I'm heading right there to the nursing home right now.
Speaker 4: It's a call that we we've been waiting for for a long time.
Speaker 2: As we speak, they turned for him out now.
Speaker 6: Then the reason they didn't tell.
Speaker 2: Is yesterday because the policies they can tell you when they're coming on.
Speaker 4: Marieta's on the phone with Swave, a former juvenile lifer and the subject of our Pulitzer Prize winning podcast about life after incarceration. I met Swave over thirty years ago and stayed in touch with him for decades while he was in prison. Then in our podcast Swave, we documented his release in twenty seventeen and his reentry. Rita was a producer and host of the second season of the podcast.
Speaker 3: In our second season, we met Suave's mentor and father figure in prison, a man in his nineties named Frank Ross. Frank was awaiting a decision that could grant him his release from prison, and today there was finally news.
Speaker 7: He has been turned for as we.
Speaker 3: Speak, Okay, I'm gonna I'm trying to find a flight tonight as soon as possible. How do you feel and emotional?
Speaker 8: I mean, here's that man been in prison.
Speaker 4: Yeah, after nearly fifty years behind bars, Frank Ross was free. There were no friends or family waiting outside the prison gates. Frank was transferred alone in a gourney.
Speaker 3: That's because Frank is being released under Pennsylvania's Compassionate Release Statute, also known as a medical transfer. That's a law that creates a pathway for seriously ill people in prison to be released to seek out better healthcare on the outside. Frank has been battling cancer for years. He is now terminal. Do you remember when the only big weight you felt on your back was that you couldn't do anything for him.
Speaker 4: That for years, Suave told me about the guilt and the regret that he felt at leaving Frank alone inside. After he was released from prison, Frank taught Suave how to read and write, he mentored, and he fathered him along with hundreds of other young men in prison in exchange. Suave always thought that he would help care for Frank in his final days when they were both in prison.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh, I can't believe it. Okay, well this took me totally my surprise, but I'm happy. I'm happy for you.
Speaker 4: Now Suave could repay the man who had given him so much, and Frank Ross would just maybe have an opportunity for a dignified death on the outside, maybe because nothing in the prison system is ever predictable or simple. From Futuro Media, It's Latino USA. I'm Maria jo Josa Today Released to Die Part one. In this three episode mini series, we're going to follow the story of Frank Ross. He's a ninety three year old man sentenced to die in prison, and we're going to follow his journey to the outside through something known as compassionate release. Frank's case highlights one of the fastest growing trends in incarceration in the United States. It's something experts called the grain of American prisons. We will also take a deep dive into Pennsylvania's Compassionate Release program, how healthcare inside prisons is failing older people, and what it means to have a chance to die free. Between two thousand and one and twenty eighteen, more than thirty thousand people aged fifty five or older died in prison. Experts say those numbers are on the rise. Never have there been so many older people behind bars, and the number is steadily rising. By twenty thirty, they will be one third of the prison population.
Speaker 3: The reason harsh sentencing practices that started in the seventies and peaked through the eighties and nineties to today. Data shows that this led to more people than ever serving long sentences, including life without parole. And you've probably heard the term mandatory minimums.
Speaker 4: Coupled with three strike laws and other tough on crime policies that meant more people going to prison and for longer periods of time. Prison populations exploded, loaded with vast racial discrepancies and sentencing, and with so many life sentences or decades long sentences. It was only a matter of time until those people became older and sicker, with prisons unable to meet their healthcare needs.
Speaker 3: That's part of the reason why almost every state and the federal prison system have some kind of compassionate release policy. It's a way to grant early release from prison to sick or elderly incarcerated individuals who have no other real avenue within the court system. In Pennsylvania prisons were Frank Ross's, an incarcerated person may petition the court for a temporary transfer to either a hospital, a long term facility, or hospice. In order to be considered someone like Frank must meet seven different parameters. Most importantly, they must be seriously ill and expected to have less than a year to live, and be able to prove that their healthcare needs are better met on the outside. If they were to be cured of their terminal illness on the outside, they could be returned to prison.
Speaker 4: Compassionate release is for people who know that they're going to die. The question is will they get to die on the outside, And that is all Frank Ross hopes for. Were that's going to pick up the story from here.
Speaker 3: The day of Frank's release, Suave rushes to the healthcare facility for seniors where he's been transferred. Frank is already there, in a shared room, separated by a flimsy curtain surrounded by bare white walls. He texts me to FaceTime him. Yes, Hi, okay, Hi, mister Ross. Congratulations.
Speaker 6: You don't have to do that, just talk to the phone.
Speaker 3: The first time he held a cell phone. Yeah, oh wow, woa. Technology has really changed. Frank tries to put the video call on his ear. He's never held a cell phone. He was convicted in nineteen eighty and was always kind of an old school guy in prison. He never even got a tablet. Hi, mister Ross, how are you? Congratulations?
Speaker 4: No good picture that I mean better?
Speaker 1: Don't tell really.
Speaker 6: With it.
Speaker 3: On his first day out of prison, Frank seems primarily occupied with swab his weight. I mean, he calls Swave his son. After all, he looks good, right, How do you feel.
Speaker 6: Well? Right now?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: Frank is hard to understand. He's ninety three, he's lost his teeth, and he doesn't have dentures. Besides the ravages of cancer, he's also struggling with cognitive decline due to the mania. Over the last few years in prison, he was mostly bedridden, sometimes in a wheelchair, and fully dependent on other incarcerated men to care for him. I'm very happy because of your news.
Speaker 1: I am.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm getting on a plane tonight so I can see you tomorrow morning. Before we hang up the phone, Frank lays down his chief interest in letting us in to make this series. He's hoping it will help him bring some attention to his writing.
Speaker 9: Get him an agent, because he's trying to get some of his workout. You have your boxes and stuff, but you're yes, of course, we're going to try.
Speaker 7: To get to an agent.
Speaker 3: Frank hopes to get more of his writing published before he dies. The only item Frank insisted on bringing with him from his prison cell was a box filled with stories nearly five decades of writing. To understand who Frank is as a person, you have to understand that, above all, he is a writer, and writers dream of sharing their love affords. That's how Suave and Frank crossed paths three decades ago at a maximum security prison in Philadelphia. Suave was in his early twenties and Frank was in his late fifties. We actually told this story at length in an episode of Suave season two, but I'll give you a summary.
Speaker 7: Hey, Frank, what's going on, buddy.
Speaker 3: This is a phone call between Suave and Frank from twenty twenty three, when Frank was still in prison.
Speaker 8: I'm over here, man, I'm away there telling my people how much you showed me when I was in prison?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 5: And what did you do?
Speaker 6: I learned how to do.
Speaker 7: How many screenplayers have you written?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 6: I got forty five? Now and I got.
Speaker 3: Forty five screenplays and ninety short stories. A portion of it was published. Frank was profiled in newspapers decades ago. Some of his books are still out there for purchase. And more than a writer, Frank was a teacher.
Speaker 7: There was hundreds, if not thousands of people in the DC that he showed how to read and write, and I.
Speaker 4: Was one of them.
Speaker 3: Frank was an old head, an old timer, and someone who commanded respect. Saba says. Frank didn't really get involved in prison politics. He never got in trouble, and he minded his own business. When he took a liking to someone, though, he approached them with a curious proposition.
Speaker 7: He was one of the dudes that he had enough heart to step to me. I guess he's like, hey, young boy, let me talk to you. And I used to tell him, look, man, what can you get for me?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 7: I got some pen and paper for you.
Speaker 3: That's how he and Swave became close. Swavee was illiterate, but over time and under a teacher like Frank, Swave learned how to read and write. Frank then encouraged him to pursue an education, and Suave eventually graduated with a bachelor's within prison walls. Frank did the same for countless others. Over time, Swavi learned that Frank had made a promise to try and atone for his mistakes and to help others. Here's another old phone call with Frank when he was in prison.
Speaker 6: I've been almost.
Speaker 3: In his late forties. Frank was convicted of killing a man. Until then, he had never been in trouble. He was a war veteran. He had a business, a wife and kids.
Speaker 7: I used to call him the late criminal family man, ron kids. First time arrested in his life.
Speaker 3: Frank doesn't claim to be innocent. He accepted his life sentence and in prison put the old version of himself away. He refused visits, he asked his family to move on, and spent nearly his entire time in prison completely alone, except for the young man that he took under his wing. Now years later, as I prepare to go meet him in person for the first time, I think about a conversation I had with Frank over the phone as he waited for his compassionate release application to be reviewed.
Speaker 6: In my comment, but I didn't say I've learned to like to come home. I don't think you ever do if you check your right life. But I asked, I can happen no more.
Speaker 3: Frank said he would never earn the right to come home. He took someone's life. All he was asking for was mercy.
Speaker 4: When we come back, we learn more about what it means to receive compassionate release, and we hear about Frank's challenges of trying to start over even though he's terminally ill.
Speaker 10: Stay with us was yeah, he was killing that cat.
Speaker 11: Checking Canal and Spotify, the La Mesa Expertos an acilty los Angos universo conicolos program as, the Toya Burrido and No projected the Frank Cooliwood tambienus Monolos as he Scucios la Is and Spotify.
Speaker 4: Hey, we're back. Before the break, we learned about Frank Ross's life, how he ended up in prison, and the challenges of his release under Pennsylvania's Compassionate Release law. Senior producer Julia Ta Martinelli is going to continue the story from here.
Speaker 3: The day after Frank is released, I meet Suave outside Frank's store on the fourth floor of a senior living facility in Philly. We make our way into the room. Frank looks frail, much older than I'd imagined his were bring an unfastened hospital gown that's fallen down to his stomach. He's hooked to an oxygen tank and fast asleep. Swavey wakes him gently, holding out the balloons.
Speaker 6: I know it's not. I know it's not.
Speaker 8: The next week I have to take care of your pop, had to take.
Speaker 6: Care of you.
Speaker 3: Swavey lays out a pint of chocolate ice cream, a slice of chocolate cake, cookies, and other goodies.
Speaker 7: So what I'm going to do.
Speaker 3: We're gonna say, Havy herb day to you?
Speaker 5: Do you have herbday?
Speaker 6: Do you new?
Speaker 8: Happy Birthday, Dear Frank.
Speaker 12: Two Freedom, Happy birthday to.
Speaker 3: You, Happy birthday. Frank smiles through the celebration, but it soon becomes clear that he's not doing well. It's at that moment that I noticed how swollen and Frank's legs are. It looks really painful, and as the sheet slide, I see a palm sized ankle monitor snapped tightly around his ankle, a mandatory condition for his release, you know, in case he runs away. This man who can't walk on his own or get out of bed. It's not long before visitors start rolling in.
Speaker 11: Bross.
Speaker 3: Frank's face lights up, first his sister in law, and then his friend Mohammed. They spent decades together in prison. Mohammed is eighty four, out for a year now after securing his own release under commutation from the governor.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you, hey man, it's my pleasure time.
Speaker 6: Hey you look good.
Speaker 1: Listen manabe call I said, I sat up here.
Speaker 4: I think you've kind of bath.
Speaker 13: People are able to see you today.
Speaker 3: He's right. Within a few minutes, Frank's bed is surrounded. I count four former lifers in the room, men who all were one sentence to life in prison and thought that they would grow old and die inside together here free, eating chocolate cake, sharing war stories, reminiscing silly things like who still owes who money for commissary ice cream?
Speaker 12: He always minded from the Iceland and mumble, I don't know what ice s creaming behind. I don't know how you feel about You're a friend when.
Speaker 6: On the line.
Speaker 3: At some point, Swaby walks off and stands by the door. I see him discreetly wipe his eyes with his sleeve.
Speaker 2: How do you feel at him, to see him smile and not and not have to worry about counttown. I just think that for us, this is what it is all about, changing policies and prinking people.
Speaker 3: Good to see you again, he might get out of the way. I step out of the room to get the family privacy as Frank meets nieces and nephews and other family for the first time.
Speaker 7: That's right, I.
Speaker 6: Heard so much about.
Speaker 3: On the way out, Swabe tells me that he feels overwhelmed. He says he's worried about how frail Frank looks.
Speaker 5: His compassionate relea stuff to me is bullshit, fully bullshit, because can't remember where he's at, sitting in the bed with an ankle minor of this bab you call that compassionate.
Speaker 8: First of all, I want to say I am extremely happy that somebody decided enough, it's enough, right, But now I'm also extremely mad that this man should have been released ten years ago when he first got cancered.
Speaker 3: The thing is, legally, Frank couldn't be considered for compassionate release any earlier, even though he's had a cancer diagnosis for years. Frank is representative of an issue that many others are also facing. There are currently more than ten thousand people that are considered senior citizens in Pennsylvania prisons today. While there aren't public numbers on how many of those are ill and have also submitted petitions for compassionate release, we do know that only fifty four people have been granted compassionate release over the last fifteen years.
Speaker 4: Advocates say the problem is in how the compassionate Release Statute is written. While it's meant to remedy the crisis of those ag behind bars, it falls short of actually being able to assist many people because of the built in requirement for their deaths to be imminent and in the midst of their illness. They also have to be able to find a lawyer to take on their case. The reality is that by the time someone like Frank reaches this age, their closest family members have often already died or those connections to the outside world have faded over the decades.
Speaker 3: Not to mention that if, like Frank, they're lucky enough to be granted release, they must remain under constant monitoring. That means wearing a heavy and sometimes painful GPS tracker on their body twenty four to seven.
Speaker 4: And remember, they can't seek out healthcare to get better. If they were to be cured of their illness, they could be sent back to prison. So people like Swave, lawyers and activists in Pennsylvania have long asked, where's the compassion in that.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back. Hey, we're back. Where are we going?
Speaker 4: So we're in Philly now, I'm looking at I think thirtieth Street station. We're in a car on our way to Germantown, which is a little bit in the suburbs.
Speaker 3: A few weeks later, we're in Philly again, this time with Maria. She's known Suavet since ninety three, and while he was in prison, she often heard Suavet talk about Frank on the phone.
Speaker 4: And yeah, the team is reunited. Suave, will you tell me on our way to meet Frank Ross? It's I'm just I'm so overwhelmed because it's real life.
Speaker 3: Suave has been spending nearly all of his time outside of work with Frank.
Speaker 9: I just stay there all night, hang out because it's twenty four hours a day visits. So how am I just going at six o' five that night, leave at four in the morning, come back at eight and he probably wouldn't even know I'm gone because by the time he wake up, he see me.
Speaker 8: I always tell people what I'm doing for Frank Ross is what I couldn't do for my mother when she was on hot that bad, which is take care of her.
Speaker 3: Swaba's mother died before he was released from prison.
Speaker 8: I mean, I would want somebody to do that for me if I was in my dying bed. So this is what I should have been doing, you know. So I'm just doing it for Frank.
Speaker 3: When we arrive, Frank is wearing a sweater, sweatpants, and tennis shoes. He's seated up in his chair, hair combed, waiting for his visitors.
Speaker 11: How are you.
Speaker 3: To see you, mister n Look at you with your lunch.
Speaker 6: How you doing?
Speaker 3: You look good? I didn't even recognize you when you want in. Swaby walks over to Frank and hands him a folder. It's filled with hypewritten pages, short stories that Frank once mailed to suave It while he was in prison.
Speaker 4: We'll show you something.
Speaker 3: I got it, they talked quietly as they look through the pages.
Speaker 4: There these little secret communication thing going on.
Speaker 6: They just a lot.
Speaker 1: If you got anything, there.
Speaker 6: Was his stump.
Speaker 7: Frank had a picture.
Speaker 3: Following an afternoon eating Hogi's Frank's request, lasting and sharing stories. Frank turns to me, they're like old man, like old man.
Speaker 4: They'll tell you that I.
Speaker 13: Have and uh, what would you mention.
Speaker 11: This?
Speaker 3: He asked me again if he's already told me he has dementia.
Speaker 13: And that is whoo who excremated?
Speaker 3: Too bad. Frank says that dementia feels quote cuckoo crazy. He says he first realized he had it a few years ago when he had to be hospitalized and taken outside the prison.
Speaker 13: All kind of cuckoo stuffing bettering in your head.
Speaker 3: So what does the mencha feel like? All kinds of cuckoo stuff running in your head?
Speaker 13: What you think my mother she was hit in the house and she would dirty lad with maggot. He was about your complex kids back, he's a horrible.
Speaker 3: He describes a moment in the hospital where he was suddenly transported back to the house where he was born in nineteen thirty three. His mother was there, but she was dirty and her hair was matted. She looked horrible, he says. He started crying, and.
Speaker 13: I remember when them prive I couldn't believe that my mother, And then back.
Speaker 3: To the Frank says, that's when he started asking questions and he realized that he was seeing and hearing things that weren't there, things that had already happened, or things that he simply imagined, but all of it felt so real.
Speaker 6: I was the only one knew I had. How did you didn't even know that?
Speaker 13: You talked to you about each other?
Speaker 6: They walk didn't come back.
Speaker 3: They got it now, He says. It was in that hospital that he realized that he was surrounded by other dementia patients. He would talk to them about something, and then they would forget and have the same conversation all over again. He realized then that he was the only one that knew he had it.
Speaker 13: I knew I had, but I didn't know how to control it.
Speaker 4: They control you.
Speaker 3: But he couldn't control it. It was terrifying.
Speaker 13: I don't know how whether you can tell you. I don't know why he can tell you.
Speaker 6: How to add I know.
Speaker 3: Suddenly Frank gets really agitated. He's mad at Suave for not telling us that he has dementia, just like the men he met in the hospital. Suddenly he forgot. Dementia is a progressive, irreversible syndrome. It leads to memory laws, cognitive decline, and reduce functional ability. The disease, coupled with his cancer, is starting to ravage his mind and body. I stopped recording on the way out. I can see the hurt in suavest and it's then that I realize how limited our time with Frank really is. Frank has made it clear to me over and over that he wants his story told, but I fear we're fighting against time, and soon Frank is going to have to take on another fight against the prison system, who will attempt to take him back. Over three episodes will explore Pennsylvania's compassionate release program as it stands. As we continue following Frank's life on the outside.
Speaker 6: He didn't recognize him.
Speaker 3: He didn't recognize ye at all.
Speaker 6: He's got to get the fuck out.
Speaker 8: I don't know who is you doing.
Speaker 3: IMPOSSI the private healthcare system within the state's prisons, which many incarcerated people say fails to provide adequate care. I half an hour, lady, he came back and he said, Ms.
Speaker 4: Scott' sorry to tell you you have breast cancer.
Speaker 3: Well here from people attempting to change these laws so that incarcerated men and women can be released to receive the necessary care that the law demands before it's too late, in the ways in which a system that he is too sick to remember still holds Frank's faith in his hands.
Speaker 9: He already put a petition to revoke his compassionate release, took to the courts, and now we've got to vote to court to.
Speaker 4: This episode was produced Bylli. It was edited by Marlon Bishop. It was mixed by Stephanie Lebau. Scoring and sound designed by Jacob Rossari. Fact checking for this episode by Roxanna Aguire. Fernanda Echavari is our managing editor. Nancy Trujillo is our production manager. The Latino USA. Team also includes Renald Lanos Junior, Luis Nuna, Dori mar Marquez, JJ Krubin, Ariana Rodriguez, and Nicole Rothwell. Beni, Lei Amidas and I are executive producers. I'm your host Bardiao Josa Latino USA is part of Iheart's Michael Dura podcast network. Executive producers at iHeart ar Leo Gomez and Arlene Santana join us again on our next episode. Dear listener. In the meantime, look for us on all of your social media and don't forget to join Futuro Plus. You get to listen to everything ad free and have special virtual events. So join futuro Plus now, Notteva, Yes Joe.
Speaker 3: Latino USA is made possible in part by Public Welfare Foundation, catalyzing transformative approaches to justice that are community led, restorative, and racially just. The Melon Foundation. MELON makes grants to support the visionaries and communities that unlock the power of the arts and humanities to help connect us all more at Melon dot org. Funding for Latino USA's coverage of a Culture of Health is made possible in part by a grant from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.