Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Oh, welcome to the man Cave live from the Mercedes Benz Studios. I'm Steve Almedi Maswappo Covino Y. I want to shout out all my vatos locos forever Carnalitos on a Taco Tuesday. That's Rich Davis. We're Covino and Rich and for Dan Patrick. Did you wake up early this morning and do trolo fit? I did always do trolo fit right before the show, right yeah, right before the show. Shout out to Creeper and thank you guys for hanging out with us again.
Speaker 3: CNR.
Speaker 2: We're normally on five to seven on the East. Check our podcast search Covino and Rich. Most cars on the road could use a little tlc Rich. Oh at Maco, we bring your car back to life with affordable paint jobs and light collision repairs. Got a free estimate today? Uh oh, better get Maco now. I'm reading all the feedback, a lot of great answers of what has gotten the biggest glow up over the last fifty years, being that the NFL draft went from a bunch of old balding guys with Beije phones in a wood panel. What seemed like a VFW hall an old NFL draft look like, honestly your dad playing poker with his buddies in the basement somewhere.
Speaker 3: It really did.
Speaker 2: It was like a bumper pool table there in the corner dark board. Yeah, some duds down and now practically five hundred thousand to a million people show up in a city. Celebrities are out and about. Like I said before, the graphics packages. They have people printing jerseys with the new players names on them in the back and Goodell's giving bro hugs to every guy. The NFL draft might be the number one answer on the board. Some close runners up wrestling the world of UFC politics on a bigger stage. And I thought of another one. What's got the biggest glow up over the last fifty years? We've picked a round number fifty years, so from the seventies till now, what's blown up the most? And unless you're dad, was you know, mister Olympia or Grandpappy was the guy that was the one guy that went to the gym. I really think gym's fitness, all the different workout plans, personal trainers. Your dad may have had, as you always say, the bullworker or some dumbbells in the garage. Maybe maybe if your dad was I look like a strong man from the fifties, just like a bigger upper torso, but no real muscle tone. The most you saw maybe in the eighties as a kid, was your one friend's dad who was in shape, might have in the garage had a bench press. Yeah, but everyone you know Now, I would say most people you know in that case, I have a membership to some type of gym.
Speaker 3: I want to throw.
Speaker 2: Booties into the conversation because growing up, I'm not sure anybody had one. Now everybody has one. It's a great answer, right, So, yeah, Booty's got the evlation, the evolution of the butt.
Speaker 3: Like Sir mix a Lot was early on it.
Speaker 2: Sir was way early. Did his video on top of ass Mountain? Can you been trying to vacation there?
Speaker 4: Ever?
Speaker 3: Since? Yeah? I was.
Speaker 2: I went to Seattle. I'm like, where's as Mountain? The ones Sirt Mixed Lot stood on. I couldn't find it. So anyway, biggest glow umps and evolution based on the NFL draft, because it really has come a long way. It's a spectacle with oceans of people. Now I got two examples. It doesn't have to be events or anything like that, could be a person. How about we were just talking about Maco and how your car needs a little TLC. Yeah, how about like cars like I mean any car for that example, but like Kia comes to mind because years ago Kia was like a weak ass car. Now you see, like, what is the thinger? No? But now you like, is that a nine inch nails logo?
Speaker 3: What is that?
Speaker 2: Is that a nine inch nails car? No, it's a Kia. And you see these new cars. Pick any car and just think of how it evolved. And man, that's man. The Centro when I was a kid looked like ass. Now that's kind of cool looking. Any car. I think cars in general, just the idea of the new Bronco like any car, just what you have in your car. Yeah, just cars like and as far as most most new cars have a pretty much a flat screen TV in the front glow ups. How about our boys, Spot here, who's on the videos at Cavino and rich Spot Center if you want to see him when we met Spot in nearly two thousands, and I see this respectfully, it's a it's a compliment. He looked like Jonahill, Like like old Jonahill. Now he looks like Travis Kelsey's brother or something. It looks like a Kelsey brother. So I mean, glow up, sure, real thing. I mean that that's a personal example. Yeah, I mean why is that wrong? Because no one knows spot? I said, look him up at spots, check out I mean scrolla what better example than a person? I mean, check out spot if you want to see Jim selfies you want to. He went from like lazy guy, couch potato dude, the guy flexing on social media, putting out first traps.
Speaker 3: I don't post that much. You don't have to scroll back that far to fat.
Speaker 2: Spot, Big Mike who runs his place, You know Mike that runs ihearted Fox Sports. He was saying, simply, how we communicate with each other? He goes, think of.
Speaker 3: Set personal communication.
Speaker 2: Think of like your beepers and your first cell phones compared to how now you are. Your iPhone is an appendage. You can't go anywhere without your phone. I remember, well, I we talked about like a month ago my phone. I dropped my phone. I broke. I was without my phone for two hours while I had to drop it off of the Apple Store. Those two hours, I felt like I was living on a little house on the prairie. I was like, do I need to churn my own butter? Do I need to go hunting?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I just didn't have my phone for two hours. So the biggest glow ups of our lifetime, all the past fifty years, your calls, now your feedback eight seven, seven ninety nine on Fox. The top three for US WWE Wrestling, WrestleMania, I mean, spectacle production, crazy, UFC, just major event. Comic Con was a great one. That was Danny G's nomination. Nfltraft has to be the number one. I suggested. Spot Rich was mad at that, so I'll say su yes.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 2: She went from like the brider Frankenstein to like a decent looking older lady. She was hideous And I said that, like not really respectfully because Nicki Glazer, who I love Nicki Glazers does a really funny bit if you follow the comedian because she was just old enough. She does a whole bit about how when Susan Boyle came out on what was that Britain's Got Talent or X factor or whatever it was, she goes, we were all appalled, like how could some and so hideous sing like that?
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: It's really the stage her giant head. So there been glow ups throughout the years. You could chime in with yours at cobin On rich In for Dan Patrick. In fact, you know what, the phones are all lit. So we'll take some more of your feedback. And while we do that, let's talk about the NFL Draft for a second. Two days away, right, Yeah, as my kids would say, two sleeps, two more sleeps. It'll be like Nudy magazine day. NFL Draft day is big. And I'll tell you why. I mean, you know this, but if you're if you root for a miserable team, the NFL Draft gives you, gives you hope, like if you're if you're rooting for a team that's consistently a bottom feeder, there's a sense of like day of hope. You know, it really is sounds it sounds corny, but it's a day of maybe this is the year we'll get that, we'll get our Patrick Mahomes of new beginnings. Maybe we'll get our Lamar Jackson or Josh Allen. Maybe we'll get our you know, Nick Moosa or you know, Miles Garrett. Maybe we'll get our guy that will change. Ah, you know what speaking of I'm sorry to interrupt. You said, you know, like twelve times right there, So you made me think of Rocky Balboa. You know, he got a major glow up from Rocky two to Rocky three, remember or and even Rocky three to Rocky four. He went from like you he smells meanly absolutely to Rocky three he had that poofy hair. Remember he was all ripped, like, yo, look at my poofy hair. Now I hang out with mister T. And then in Rocky four he was super ripped and shredding. He's like, yo, now I'm like playing like I'm wearing like Hugo Boss shirts. Absolutely, and then Rocky five he was like downhill again. But by Rocky four we saw the evolution. He went from like I Meanzo's goon to like a sophisticated guy. I know he got manhandled. I know he got manhandled and you know, almost beat to death by Drago, yeah you know, in this fictional movie. But yeah, but remember he was wearing that hat. He was a hit man, and he got all sophistical. I said, I thought The progression of Rocky's intelligence was always funny to be. You're right, he started out as Gazzo's goon yo yoh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: He was living.
Speaker 2: He was honestly one step above like Hobo living. Then by Rocky four he was all sophisticated robot and then you know, it gets beat up by Drago and like dumbas Dom and Legio and them like Punchy. I got what you calle it relaxed brain. Absolutely. I mean you said, you know, like like like fifteen times, so you made me think of him, he intentional, I said, you know, yeah, I know, but you saw his evolution. So the greatest evolutions of our lifetime, the biggest glow ups. But honestly, you saw how ripped Stallone got as that went on, no doubt you know what. You know who got a glow up physically? And then uh, we'll talk more about like events and things. Chris Pratt, big Seattle Seahawks fan. Remember Chris Pratt was just like the funny, chubby guy on you know, sitcoms and news. Then all of a sudden it was like ripped Chris Pratt, Like what what happened here?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Good example, let's say hi to.
Speaker 2: Chloe Kardashian. What about her? Chloe was like the the outcast sibling, like oh poor Chloe. Now it's like there's people that are like, no Chloe. So let's go to Mike Virginia. We'll take a couple of quickies and then we'll talk about the actual NFL draft. What's up, Michael?
Speaker 5: How you doing?
Speaker 3: Guys?
Speaker 7: What's hi?
Speaker 5: Guys?
Speaker 7: Hey, so real quick.
Speaker 5: I would think a movie franchise that had like you glow up is probably fast In or Furious and but technology wise, I'm fifty years old that I think had a really glow up and it's like evolutionized. You guys are probably filling them right now. It's the phone because I remember using that rotary dial and you know with the phone, and now we got the self you know, Android and Apple phones, and it's just ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definite game changer. I mean, you're right, your grandma had the rotary phone on the wall, and now we don't even call people. We just carry around the little computer on her hands. So yeah, that that is insane. Pete in Florida, what's up, Pete?
Speaker 3: What's up? Pete?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 7: Guys, thank you doing?
Speaker 2: Love?
Speaker 4: The show. Hey, you know, I think the NHL has really come a long way in the last fifty years, with the you know, the Winter Classic and the Outdoor Games and the Old Star event they had this year, with the four countries growing up in the you know, being sixty eight years old hockey, unless you had a local channel, you weren't getting anything. So coverage is great too.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Pete.
Speaker 3: Great answer, man. Thanks.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say the the thing they did this year was was a not so much a glow up, but a big step in the right direction for hockey. How about this, Rich, I mean again, these are obvious ones. I don't want to steal everyone's great answer. We're going to get to your phones. Eight seven, seven ninety nine on Fox. Guess the Easter Bunny brought me this past weekend? What did the Easter Bunny bring you? By the way, shout out to my peeps. Brought me those mini Cadbury crack eggs that I can't stop eating. And handheld like a bootleg Game Boy device, but it's bootleg meaning it has over forty thousand video games on one little handheld console. So it's Arcade games, Atari games, Sega games, every game on this one little thing right color screen is great. Game Boy games. I never really played game Boy, but it's a handheld device, but it has all our old school like Nintendo games, RBI Baseball where you get, yeah, it's bootleg. People are like, where'd you get that.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Whatever, Like my girlfriend got it from has expired, so I don't know. And it's great. But when you think about glow ups, I'm sitting there playing RBI Baseball and I'm just thinking about the glow up of video games today, like they're so advanced that they're no fun for me, you know what I mean. Like I remember we're playing RBI over something that's out today. It looks like real life people. It's ridiculous. Remember talking about there's a Tom Brady meme a couple of years ago in his final season where they showed this is how long Tom Brady's been in football, and they showed picture one was him like pixelated in an old Madden game. And now he was in like you know, Matten a couple of years got like a Minecraft character or something, and now those games look so good where your parents are like, is that a real mom? That's not a real thing. That's that's the game insane. But you know I'm in that mindset. I'm playing all this primitive stuff. I'm playing a primitive game of Tech Mobile and the coolest part of the graphic is bo Jackson given a high five. Or I'm playing playing old school double dribble. And you know, you see the games today, like man talk about glow ups and technology. Video games have come a long way, much like the NFL draft. I really do think it's a top three, if not number one answer, and we'll see it this week of how far the draft has come. You don't think the reverse dunk graphics were good. They were cool and double dribble, but that was the epitome. That was like the the height of cool graphics growing up, the double dribbles, slam dunk.
Speaker 3: Now next level glow up.
Speaker 2: Brian. You know, we'll take a We'll take three more quick phone calls Brian and South Dakota's up. Brian, Hey, guys, good morning, good morning.
Speaker 4: Hey love listening to your show.
Speaker 5: As far as your glow ups, I think you're missing one of the most obvious tiger Woods and golf.
Speaker 2: Yeah, golf was like you're like, no, young player. No young person was into golf, no at all. And Tiger Woods made golf cool. Really, you know he That is a great answer, proof that one guy could make a difference. I mean he made it cool when we were kids. Who was like chee Chi Rodriguez and doing funny handshakes and it's not cool. Fish and Pa, what's up man?
Speaker 1: How you doing?
Speaker 4: Buddy?
Speaker 2: What up?
Speaker 6: I'm thinking wrestling? Early on I'm fifty seven. So early on there was a haystack cow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, big, big fat farmer guy. Yeah, they was wrestling. Has come the longest way man.
Speaker 6: He was like five to six pounds, bibbed overalls, bare feet and it's part of the show. They would bring him in on the forklift to get him up into the the ring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that that was wrestling. Got to be a top answer. Would you say serious, serious question as far as evolution and glow up as we're saying, as the kiddo say, wrestling beat the NFL Draft, or would you say, yeah, I don't because you think of the you said it. It was like they were doing the draft from your grandpa's basement, smoking cigars like there was nothing going on. And now it's a global spectacle. That's yeah, wrestling still it was low budget, but it was still a crowd there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're into it. It's still had a lot of action. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I really still think the NFL Draft is one of the craziest evolutions we've seen, and no one really talks about that, like it's comes such a long way and it's weird though, because we've seen what a spectacle it is. For whatever reason, it's been a trend this season that a lot of kids are turning down the invites. Well, I mean because it's cold there. I've known you since two thousands. I mean we've been friends for twenty years. Yeah, since we were young men in our twenties. When we first were friends, the NFL Draft wasn't even that big of a deal. It was big, but wasn't in a city where they had fans and a spectacle. It was more like in a hotel, the hotel conference. It evolved to that. So I'm talking in the last twenty years the NFL Draft test. Yeah, I still think even though WWE is a great answer as far as production value and where it's come and Netflix and everything else, I still think the draft is the craziest evolution we've seen. All right, let's Scott wrap it up in Connecticut. What's up, Scotty?
Speaker 4: Hey, sticking with football?
Speaker 3: How about fantasy football? Dude?
Speaker 2: You know Matt Berry is an old school pala oars. When we worked at ESPN, Oh, Marvin's cousin. Yeah, Marvin's your cousin, Matt. But I remember him telling us the early days of fantasy football. The calculations and the paperwork and the calculators had to be broken out for the early days of fantasy football.
Speaker 8: And they used to have to wait until the stats came out in the newspaper, the official stats.
Speaker 2: And yeah, and now you're getting up to the second stats. And by the way, that might be the game. Yeah, it changed the way you watch sports. I'll give you two more. You opened up a can of Wormscott, because I thought it two more.
Speaker 3: That is a great answer, by the way, because.
Speaker 2: When you say fantasy football and how it went from where am I going gambling? Yes, it's just now sexy and you got sexy women talking about it on TV. Yeah, gambling went from taboo and your dad had those little sheets at were and the local bookie might have been like, hey, you got you five dollars sheets. I remember there was a guy in Brooklyn. I used to know you give that those little little sheets. Whereas you could do the parlay for five bucks. There was there was like bookies in every town and that was how you made a bet. Now and had you had to go through gazo And on TV it was frowned upon, like when al Michaels would make a joking reference like people might have been mad at that last second field goal. It was almost an inside joke between gamblers and the broadcast. Yeah, beautiful women talking about it on TV.
Speaker 8: And remember and Musburger used to slide in little bedlines.
Speaker 2: Musburger was great with that where he'd make the little almost innuendos and like if you understand now there's beautiful women on every network doing gambling. Yeah, it's like a sexy sort of thing. Fan duel and this and that and you bet MGM and every game Bro networks weren't even allowed to talk about it.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: Watching the Mets game yesterday and like mid game they're like you could in game bet the number of strikeouts, Like in game you could in game bet strikeout counts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, our buddy Scott Farrell, that's all he does. Now I love that guy.
Speaker 2: But instead of gambling, I'll give you one more weed. Marijuana. Marijuana was like, you know, it was something taboo. You would sneak weed into your college dorm, if your parents smoked weed. It was secretive because it was like it was the most oddly kept secret, glorified. And now you walk down.
Speaker 8: Now we're all smoking at the white table pre show.
Speaker 3: I was just accepted.
Speaker 2: But it's sophistication except spotty.
Speaker 3: He takes edibles.
Speaker 2: You're not you're not. You're not far off. By the way, for people that don't know us, we don't do that. But you have weat shops, which is right, the weed shops out here in la or like like scientific labs. No, it's it went from buying dirt weed from a shady guy in college that you were like, did he actually give me a cavin. It's a funny story where the guy actually gave you a bag of grass, no dirt.
Speaker 3: In college because there was a shady.
Speaker 8: As I say, on the East Coast, you guys just had that that they called it chocolate.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, no, this is actually dirt, not dirt weed, just dirt. But it's such a quick and shady transaction. You're like, you drive away and you're like, oh, it's just dirt.
Speaker 3: I guess he gave.
Speaker 2: You a BANDI allegedly one hundred years ago.
Speaker 8: So, but you're right in southern California. Now, these spots are like showroom floors for like a car dealership.
Speaker 2: It looks like you're at some sort of Apple eye store. Honestly, there's a place in the valley. There's a place in the valley where I went to go get some THC cocktails, which they have for I was having a party stop by, and it's also the clientele you assume it's like burnouts and potheads. I saw one of our iHeart executives there with his wife. He's like, hey, what's up. It went from taboo, I'll tell you off there it went. It went from taboo to like, oh yeah, when you want you want an edible or you want to drink, so I think weed, Fantasy football, UFC, the NFL Draft, wrestling, there's you can make a whole list of things that have evolved crazily, if that's even a word in our lifetime.
Speaker 3: Alright, the end.
Speaker 2: Your answers and your feedback, Thanks again. Sports Radio Nation. Dan Patrick's show at Covino and Rich hit us up at Covino and Rich at Fox Sports Radio. You know what I noticed, If you ever go to any legal wee shop around the country, you know who A lot of the clientele is a lot of the clientele is our parents generation, who were hippies back in the day, and they're fascinated as senior citizens that they could walk into a shop. They went their whole life going to woodstock, going to the clubs, was you know, sneaking it around. You go into a legal weed shop in the United States, clientele is our parents generation a big part of it. It's come a long way, no doubt. All right, Wilson, coming up, we are going to talk about the NFL Draft because we are two days away from some teams changing their stars forever and two sleeps. And you know what, I want you to start thinking about this, Coubino, what was your biggest swing and miss as a fan? What was your biggest whiff? What was your biggest Like this guy's like you're pumped up and you're like, I was so wrong. I'm not as wrong as you, So I can only think of yours. But I'll think about it and your feedback again at eight seven, seven ninety nine on Fox at Covino and Rich. We got more CNR on FSR in for Dan Patrick next.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out. We like to get you involved, to take your phone call, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on Planetar.
Speaker 9: Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino on Rich wherever you get your podcast, and of course on social media.
Speaker 2: That's Covino and Rich. Hey, Rich, you ever call one nine hundred mix a lot just to kick your nasty thoughts? Or no, I've done it. I've done it. You know I got some nasty thoughts. Maybe I'll call later and kick it. Cavino and Rich. I mean you are the guy that tried to find ass Mountain for spring break. That's right on a serious No? Is it one eight hundred mix a lot or one nine hundred mix a lot? Ndred, Yeah, well I got to kick some nasty thoughts. Do you ever have that one terrible friend as a child that when the moms and dads weren't home, they would use the home phone to call dirty phone numbers. There's an evolution for you. You used to have to call love line. Now you can just chew up the hub. But honestly, like there was always that one jerky like what are you doing on my phone, and your your buddy would be using your home phone to call certain numbers like my parents are gonna kill me. What are you doing exactly? We are talking evolutions and that is part of it. Our buddy Wes hit us up and said, what about your your conventions, the Covino and Rich Conventions, the CRC, And this is just my way of promoting that. We have a party coming up. We have a huge party and everybody listening right now. This is your invite June twentieth, twenty first and twenty second in Vegas. We're doing live broadcasts. We have people coming, friends, family, romans, countrymen. Everybody's coming, So book your flight to Vegas June twentieth, twenty first and twenty second, three day party and details are coming soon and coming soon, so follow us at combnoorish. But our very first get together as a radio showy, it was like forty dudes in the folding table. You know, a few people. Now it's a big event. Now it's a big event. So women there now, yeah, yeah, hot women parties not just dudes. Yeah. By the way, a great place to kick your nasty thoughts. Las Vegas, June twentieth to the twenty second. All right, now let's move on to the NFL Draft, which, by the way, is the ultimate evolution. That's why we got here in the first place. It's just a major, major event. Here's where you are honest. Here's where you are truthful. What NFL draft move or hey, I'll open it up to NBA. We don't need to just do the NFL draft or a trade. I'll be honestly. You could throw even a trade or an acquisition by your team, but the draft is two days away. What was your biggest miss as a fan fight is Josh Rosen. I really bought into the fact that he was hyped about proving everybody wrong. You gonna show everyone, you know. But I did believe in his conviction, like he had some sort of chip on his shoulder and something to prove, Like, yeah, everyone who passed on me, I'll show you guys. I was like, yeah, go get him, show him, show me you're a tiger, show me you could do. Get him. Yeah, what's wrong about that? You were that fuel fires me. I was like, you know what, they passed on this dude and he's out there public like that, Yeah, maybe he will be something and prove everybody wrong. Now to know our show, you know that I Rich Davis, big forty nine ers fan. There's video if you scrolled back far enough on our social media where when the forty nine ers drafted Trey Lance. I was the guy that jumped up and I was like, yeah, that's the future, baby Lance. Ris jumped out of his seat onto a seat like Tom Cruise on Oprah. He was standing up. I was jumping. I was jumping on Oprah's couch essentially. He was so pumped about it. Why do I have this visual? Was it on air? I did it on I was streaming like Instagram Live or something, and then we posted it. I for sure remember the moment. I mean, I'm with Rich all the time, so I remember though thinking a couple and didn't want mac Jones. I remember I was. I was in Texas at my wife's family's house and I was watching Draft night with some friends. Whoooo and jumped out of his socks. He was so pumped about Trey Lance.
Speaker 3: I remember.
Speaker 2: And by the way, he's not a complete and total I mean he wrote him off completely. I mean, what have you seen that I have? I know, I know that I'm saying but do you think that he really is, Like he'll never be backup quarterback for the Cowboys last I checked, and hasn't really got much playing time and was a number three overall pick. That's a definition of a bust. And you guys gave up the house to go up and get them there. I remember thinking, oh, you know, I really don't want mac Jones. And now the forty nine is Quinci Delli have mac Jones as their backup. But I remember thinking, come on, no mac Jones, Trey Lance, come on. I was I was sold on the athleticism, and I know there was not much tape of him, he only played a year, but I was convinced that the forty nine ers with Trey Lance, had their guy. They had their Lamar Jackson, they had their my Homes. I was like, he's gonna do it.
Speaker 8: The forty nine ers traded three first round draft picks twenty twenty one, twenty two, and twenty three, and a third round pick twenty two.
Speaker 2: And the only reason the Niners don't get more crap for that is that in that same draft, mister Irrelevant, the last throwaway pick that no one cared about, just happened to be a guy that's about to get paid fifty million dollars a year brock Purty, So you could argue it was a push if you got brock Purdy with the last pick and you wasted your pick on on Trey Lance. That's the only reason why no one is harder on the forty nine ers. They salvaged it with it with brock Purty somehow. But I was way wrong with Trey Lance. And I love the videos that float around this time of year, Danny, where you see a bunch of Buffalo Bills fans like joshll and oh he's gonna stink, and you know videos of mel Kiper and other people saying things like oh, mahomes, he won't translate to the NFL. This is a time where people infamously say dumb stuff and I love it. So let's chop it up. That means that's getting fall I mean calling now be Dyland. I remember seven seven as a Syracuse fan because that's where I went to college East Coast.
Speaker 3: What's up.
Speaker 2: I remember watching Donovan McNabb play and really loving d nab when the Eagles drafted Donovan McNabb and by the way, you could see our interview with Donovan. I know it was a couple of months ago at the Super Bowl, but we did have some good old school Syracuse memories. That's on the Fox Sports Radio YouTube page. But Donovan McNabb was drafted by the Eagles. The Eagles the fan base were crying in their ass soup. They were in their campbells and there campbells. They were like really mad about Donovan McNabb and I mean he didn't win a Super Bowl, but he was a Pro Bowl, top level quarterback for them, but they did not want mcdebb. I remember them booing the pick of d deb What were you the most wrong about any he's beloved? Yeah, Danny, you're raidersan has there been a Raiders pick? Where were you? Like, JaMarcus Russell, that's my guy? Like, what is your guy?
Speaker 3: Yeah? You nailed it right there out of LSU.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean we watched him play college ball at a high level and then there all the stories about he throws eighty yards on his knees from his knees or whatever, and so dude had a cannon, but he just didn't have what it took, you know, between the ears, it turns out and had some bad habits and was lazy, and there's all those crazy stories out there now about you know what happened with him in his time in Oakland. But I was a season ticket holder at the time. I had to suffer through the bad play and he would he would literally throw an interception, put his head down like Napoleon Dynamite, and run off the field. Oh and it was just interception after interception. It was hard to watch. But yeah, when he was drafted, I'm not the only one that thought, oh man, this dude's gonna light up the NFL because he did have a strong arm.
Speaker 2: Not everybody's game translates to the pros. I think he might be the best example, though, Kuvino, of someone with just such talent that I don't think most people would have ever thought that Jamarco's Russell would have been that much of a bus Like maybe it wouldn't have worked out perfectly, but I mean that might have been the best example of like, wow, shocking how it didn't even work out a little bit. Eight seven, seven ninety nine on Fox we just talked about the evolution of the NFL draft and what a spectacle, what an event. It is so now we're talking about the biggest busts and I throw Sally Scuds into the conversation. Danny, I have another one from your childhood being that you're a Raiders fan? Will you a believer in Todd Marinovich.
Speaker 8: That's one of my childhood memories, actually going to the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum to watch the Los Angeles Raiders. Yeah, and you know it was it was guys like oh Man. Back then, Vince Evans was at quarterback and he could run the ball. He was an older QB. He was fun to watch, but the Raiders stunk at the time. That was right before they moved back to Oakland. And yeah, I'll never forget this guy, Todd Morenovitch's first game. I was there as a little kid and this guy was holding up this big sign that said Todd You're the future and he was screaming at Todd.
Speaker 3: You stream Todd.
Speaker 2: That's the beauty of this day, from the belief and that clean slate of there's promise and you know, unfortunately it doesn't always work out. And that's what we're getting at. So let's go to the phones eight seven, seven ninety nine on Fox. You want to talk to well, it doesn't. This doesn't necessarily need to be like I said, NFL draft. It could be a player that your team got. It could be a guy that came up your minor league system. Here, I think Taylor, like he was a first round draft pick for the Yankees that everyone he got a bar fighter, had such high hopes on injury, Yeah, took him off and he never was He was like the highest talented pitcher I think ever, they say the greatest high school pitcher of all time before every team had a guy that threw a hundred. Brian Taylor was a baseball card. I remember getting like, I was like, you got to get the stadium club Brian Taylor, because Brian Taylor was the Yankee prospect that was like, he throws over a hundred. Yeah, and he's gonna be the future, the high school legend. Like people said, the greatest they'd ever seen. He was a number one draft pick for the Yankees and timestamp I just looked him up. He's fifty three now, so that's still the name that comes to mind. And he's fifty three. Let me throw two more at you. One's a baseball player that came up my team system. That I thought was going to be a twenty year staple and another NFL prospect gone wrong. I remember I was a young boy and I'm a big Montana guy, like Joe Montana was my hero. Oh, I thought you'd be Hannah Montana guy. I do like Miley. I remember there was a quarterback that also came out of Notre Dame and everyone was like, he's just like Montana. You'll see Oh, is it h Vince Vaughn from Rudy, No, it was, it was actually Rudy. There was a guy that came out of Notre Dame Seattle Seahawks, and I remember thinking, Yo, this guy's gonna be legit Rick Meyer. I thought he was gonna be the next like cool young quarterback in football and that did not work out. And as far as baseball goes. As a Mets fan, he had a couple of moments. So I can't say he did nothing, but I'm shocked how Noah Cindergard was like grand opening, grand closing. Now you would think I would say Matt Harvey, but but Cinderguard to me, he never if you look at his stats, he never even had like a fifteenth to twenty year win season. Like Cinderguard had a couple of moments where because the Mets had a playoff run, tall, handsome, blonde guy, they called him four. I remember thinking cinder Guard was gonna be the ace of the Mets rotation for like the next decade plus and Cavino it lasted like a couple of years, and then he bounced around three or four teams, and now he's not. He's out sad all the promise in the world. So we want your phone calls next as we get excited and hyped up for the draft. Two more sleeps, the ones that you had so much promise and hope in that just let you down and never turned out to what you thought. Plus we got Shack Diesel Trivia next hour giving away prizes here on the show the number eight seven seven ninety nine. On Fox we got more Cavino and rich In for Dan Patrick Night. Now, be sure to tune in to Fox Sports Radios Draft Night Live, which is Thursday, as you said, two days from now eight pm Eastern through the first round of the Draft. Cider, Jay Glazer, former Jets, GM, Joe Douglas, College Hall of Famer, our very own LaVar Arrington and Fox Sports lead college football reporter Jenny Taft are gonna have all thirty two picks, predictions and reactions. That's Thursday, eight pm Eastern, First rounde to the Draft live here on Fox Sports Radio, and there'll be a live simulcast on the Fox Sports Radio YouTube page.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP.
Speaker 2: All right, hanging out for the Great Dan Patrick. As The DP Show and the Dan Nets make their way to Green Bay for the NFL Draft. You got your buds, Covino and Rich. I hope they brought their freezy freakis because it's cold out there, right, How are you supposed to cover a draft when it's so cold?
Speaker 3: For real?
Speaker 2: Isn't that why a lot of people are not going a lot of these draft picks are like, no, I'm gonna stay home my parents in their living room.
Speaker 8: I mean, it's not that cold there. High of fifty four today, spremetime. Let me look ahead at the draft. It's going to be a high of fifty seven on Thursday.
Speaker 2: Are they crashing in the Coach gott Leiaf's House, or what are they doing with Aron green Bay, your thoughts on the biggest draft letdowns, your swings and misses, the players you thought were going to change your team stars well Rich as one of the most interactive shows on radio, Cavino and Rich and for Dan Patrick. I just wanted to see what chat GPT how to say about it, or as Charles Barkley calls it, Chuck GPT, what is chet GPT tell you? I said, what are HEYI boy NFL draft busts, Just to see what AI says, which at GPT says, I would say. You know, unfortunately, one of our pals who's always been cool with us, Ryan Leaf, is probably on the list. He's on the list at number two. JaMarcus Russell number one. Yeah, yeah, out of LSU Trent Richardson, but rich is.
Speaker 8: Trey Lance taking that spot because more number one pick were involved than just the one for JaMarcus?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Matt Leonard, who by the way, is really lovable social media. On social media with his wife. I think Matt Leinerd found this net. She same with Ryan Leaf. You know, he's always been great with us. And again this isn't about like, uh, this isn't necessarily busts. More of it was and you were so yeah, you were so hyped about that. Yeah, and you really believe like this guy was gonna be the answer to change the franchise and just never worked out the way you thought that the infamous Sports Illustrated cover from My Mets, Remember it was all those pictures that never worked out, like Pulsifer and Paul Wilson, and you know, there's been teams that have been like, this is the starting rotation moving forward and they all stink.
Speaker 8: We talked about him a little bit on Yesterday Afternoons Covino and Rich in our five to seven pm Eastern time slot. Ricky Williams, Remember how the Saints gave up almost everything that draft to go up?
Speaker 2: If correct me wrong, wasn't Dick sold He sold on Ricky Williams And of course he Williams had a little bit of a productive career after the Saints, But yeah, that was a huge letdown for that organized Shanni Manzel would be on that list. But is it because of his size that no one really thought it would translate? Well, there were people that thought he'd make an immediate impact just because of his vibe and his personality and Johnny Football. I thought he would be what Mayfield is, you know, I thought he would be that type of player in the NFL. You know, speaking of how running backs have, you know, had a little bit of a comeback to the last year or so, Saquon showing the worth of a great running back Derrick Henry. Is Genty gonna benefit from that? You think there's a team that's thinking, oh, you know what we might have, We might have the guy.
Speaker 8: Know what's crazy? And it's a wild card going into Thursday. There's rumors now that the Jags might consider taking Genty at five right in front of the Raiders. And then there's even been some grumbling or mumbles about or rumors about, Yeah, they go like Bill Belichick style about the Patriots even considering all right at four. That's so yeah, everybody says the days of the running back being drafted in the first round is over. But now we have a running back who could go top five.
Speaker 2: You know what's said about this too? Though you already mentioned all the promise and all the hope that the draft brings, right, maybe it's just our expectations that were wrong. It's really not them. I get it some people's game doesn't translate. But maybe our expectations were wrong from the get go. Maybe that player gave you everything he had, that's all he really ever had, But it was you that was wrong, not them. Let's go to John and Reno Covino Rich and for Dan Patrick. John who comes to mind for you?
Speaker 7: I call him Glass Joe, but his name is Sam Bradford for the Rams, and he's the reason why they don't do any more big.
Speaker 2: Contracts, you know, Sam Bradford. Uh, well, if he's gonna bring up Glass Joe, I want to bring up Don Flamenco. I always thought he would be alive. What about I thought it would be a bigger stary. I believed in him. You know we're talking about all these all these quarterback bus did you I saw on social media someone said, uh never forget fifteen years ago was when mel Kiper said he would retire if Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen wasn't a future Hall of Famer. So listen, we all miss right right? Mo and Tempe?
Speaker 3: What's up?
Speaker 7: Mo?
Speaker 8: Hey?
Speaker 7: Great job showing Nan for dam today. Thanks as a lifelong fifty year old Laker. Far I got a long listed guys, but I'm gonna go with Lonzo Ball and Andrew Biden.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel bad for Lonzo Ball though, because he was good. Injury took him out and LaMelo's doing great. And by the way, I'm just thinking, should our Sanders comes in with all this hype, you think he'll be that guy? I mean, no one's rooting against him.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 8: I think he's too good of an athlete to completely figure it out.
Speaker 3: I think he'll figure it out.
Speaker 2: You shall say Fresno and Jason, you're on with Covin on reach. Hey Jason, Hey, what's go on?
Speaker 7: Guys?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 7: Hey, I used to yeh m guys liberally with you guys because you Gause are awesome.
Speaker 2: But thanks man.
Speaker 7: What about David Klingler or Dan maguire.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's those are These are great answers that and again you feel bad because they they had high hopes. They wanted to succeed. It just sometimes, like you said earlier, Covino, Josh Rosen even was like you're gonna see I'm gonna show you and you shall know.
Speaker 3: It didn't happen.
Speaker 2: So your answers at Coveno and Rich at Fox Sports Radio. You got some Shack Diesel trivia next hour right here on CNR