Speaker 1: Are those FreeDOS? Are those fredos? Get out? Now? It's one more.
Speaker 2: Thing, Armstrong and Getty, one more thing before we get to the delicious Freedo. I mentioned on the Armstrong e Getty Show that I was at Costco yesterday and they had on display their new ninety eight inch television. And I've seen some really big TVs before, but the picture wasn't that great. This ninety eight incher was. That was really impressive. I mean it was like super great oled whatever that is.
Speaker 1: And I was, that's seven feet.
Speaker 2: I got more. I got a seventy seven, which is a pretty big television eight feet and this was way bigger than that. They had them side by side because they know what they're god, I know, and it was weird how I wanted that, That's what I was just. It was just like you talk about wants versus needs. I mean, nobody needs that. I don't need that on any level whatsoever.
Speaker 3: I like, I'd get ahead ache because I mean, how far away from that thing you.
Speaker 2: Have to be in order to not well the picture is so great, Like with my my super big television not as big as this, and you can have your face right up against it and it's perfect. It's amazing the technology they've gotten.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I think for most people there's a ratio of distance from screen to screen size that bigger is not always better.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm certainly willing to push the bound.
Speaker 2: Yeah, depends on a refresh rate. That's what it's all about, the way my brain works. But I don't know, it's just but just in general, wanting various things you don't need. I philosophically, I just I love that whole topic. I talk about with my kids a lot. I think about it my own life. Wants versus needs. But but something that is not a need, but it brings you consistent happiness. Yeah, you know, assuming you can afford something ish. You know, if you enjoy something on an ongoing basis. Is that? Now what are we alive for? Man? Way, we've all purchased things that like after the first time you use it or very soon it's just to give me, brings you no pleasure you thought it would have, didn't. I mean, so those things I hate. I hate when I do that.
Speaker 4: And if you do the crappy, tedious, grinding stuff and get through it and you re energize by watching, I don't know an eight foot TV?
Speaker 1: Is that a bad thing?
Speaker 4: You know what's interesting psychologically is the not universal, but damn near universal lust for a larger and larger TV among males.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: And you know what, Katie, it's not like showing off or anything. I don't care if anybody ever sees it button me.
Speaker 2: I know nobody will see it but me and my house. Well it's a good point. Hey, you're the perfect example. But if I'm sitting there in my man cave with my wall sized TV watching I mentioned the Masters on the show, I'm very, very happy. But the world, well, that's all that matters.
Speaker 3: It's like, you know, Jack, if this TV makes you happy, it makes your kids happy, so it means you're a good father. I see it wins all across the board.
Speaker 2: As you're getting this, what depends why it brings you happiness? I'm sure Like I don't. I've talked about like I don't care about home decoration stuff like certain countertops mean nothing to me. I would get zero happiness out of that. But I know people that every time they walk into their kitchen, if they saw that in particular kind of countertop, they would enjoy it. So fine, I have a.
Speaker 4: Countertop that both Judy and I miss really sack. So reminisce about our counter Wow, how cool it was.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So that's foreign to me. But so it's got to be one of those things that you're gonna. It's gonna. I've got a jacket. I know you don't care about clothes, but I've got a jacket. It was way too expensive. I enjoy it every time I put it on. I mean, I just the enjoyment I get out of it, and it's been consistent for years. It's just it's inexplicable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't care about clothes a lot. Not often.
Speaker 4: When it's when that's time to look good, I'm really into it. But day to day I couldn't give a crap.
Speaker 1: So uh to the.
Speaker 2: Move on? Yeah, not really for you to look at you your assault of the earth, good Presbyterian stock or something. I don't. I guess I do have a hoodie I lost years ago that I wish I still had, got enjoyment out of it every time I did. I just I could not tell you what happened to it.
Speaker 1: I wish some dude had not brought that up. Some dude has it, that's right.
Speaker 4: Probably yeah, I I I don't even know if I can tell this story, I'll get Oliver klemped. See, you gotta be old enough to remember back when you had to break in denim yourself, they didn't make fake ass pre worn guitars and freake fake ass pre worn jeans.
Speaker 2: See you've gotta you've got a tear in your jeans. Oh that's on purpose. Oh, I see, you're a rebel society lost your pants to be intact. You guys, want here a fun fact.
Speaker 3: A girl that's not wear a pair of jeans that has holes in it without some guy making a comment, Oh you got holes in your pits, couldn't afford the whole pair of jeans.
Speaker 2: Shut up for over it.
Speaker 4: So anyway, But back in that era, when perfectly worn in, you know, pair of jeans, jeans jacket, whatever, took years and years of commitment. I had the ultimate perfect jeans jacket, just perfectly worn in, and I left it exhausted and sleep deprived in the Amsterdam airport. Some dudes, Yeah, some fing euro junkie is probably wearing my perfectly worn jeans jacket that wouldn't fit over my fat ass at this point. Anyway, probably wearing it around with pride. Fine American Levi's denim euro junkie. Anyway, to the topic, do sure I've found this very very interesting. Hitch Hiking is back in Washington, d C. Except they don't call it hitch hiking. They call it slugging. That used to be a thing in DC, and it's back. It's organized hitch hiking. And they open up its Woodbridge, Virginia, which I know very well. My daughter used to live there. Almost there. Six forty seven am recent Wednesday, the commuter lot at this train stop is started filling with workers and suits, military uniforms and fleece quarter zips. In the still dark, they formed an orderly line in Lot eight. Car pulled up, driver rolled down his window. After a brief exchange, two commuters hopped in for the thirty minute drive to the Pentagon, zooming past gridlock traffic.
Speaker 2: They're headlocking, found floating in the Potomac. No, no, they were found going to work. Slugging, a Washington, d C. Tradition is back.
Speaker 4: They're commuters who want to bypass the capital's notorious track and the high tolls. Well, and the drivers want to bypass the high tolls. That you have to pay to roll in the express lanes so easily. Either you're inching long in traffic for interminable amounts of time to get to work every day, or you're paying thirteen dollars and thirty five cents to be in the diamond lane the express lane to get into the city and times, you know, twenty two work days or whatever it is per month on average, that think gets really really expensive. And so everybody is a lot of people line up and it's like a rideshare thing of park and ride whatever you want to call it, but slugging matches suburban riders who are sick of paying or sitting with drivers who are really looking for somebody to the cost. But the fun part probably it works really well. Mostly young, upscale clientele for that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: A lot, but not exclusively.
Speaker 4: They talked to the ears of forty four year old forty eight year old one works at a university. A bunch of people from the Pentagon do this, but there are absolutely unwritten.
Speaker 1: Rules to it.
Speaker 4: It's like Uber, except you know, it's it's I'm not doing this for a living, I'm giving you a ride. We're splitting the cost, so you're gonna be cool. And actually this this one person actually says people are way worse since COVID. Interestingly enough, but so slugging has long had its own culture and etiquette.
Speaker 1: If the driver doesn't talk, you ride in silence.
Speaker 2: Love it. Love that. Yeah, you shut your yap. The driver is in charge of.
Speaker 1: How much chitter chat there is.
Speaker 4: If there is conversation, certain topics are considered off limits.
Speaker 1: No politics, of course in DC.
Speaker 4: I mean, come on, no religion, and you don't say an effing word about my driving.
Speaker 1: Not a word.
Speaker 2: Seems like you're a little close to that car in front of us. Ye're out, get out. Trump is bringing Jesus back to schools, and it's important to me. I need to get into work. No way, no way, it takes it. You got a cattle prodect until they jump out into the the traffic.
Speaker 4: Other rules include not graping about the temperature or the radio station. I love this driver rules. It's like me with my kids, my car, my station, my rules. I broke that rule with my brother driving us to the Chiefs game. I just couldn't take it anymore. Dude, I can't feel my feet.
Speaker 2: I'm worried. About when we get out of the car, I'm gonna fall down. I can't feel my feet.
Speaker 4: But since COVID and there have been a handful of polls I've seen about this, people are ruder than they were pre COVID. She's this one gallasy regular faux paw. In recent months, a driver speeding down the road at more than eighty miles an hour. A rider opening a bag of free Doo's, filling the car with a scent she can't stand.
Speaker 2: I don't like people eating around me in a closed space. Hate that.
Speaker 4: Well, you get in my car and you start open up chip bags, crunch, crunch, crunch again, cattle product.
Speaker 2: Oh I reach over, I open up the door and I shove you out.
Speaker 3: Or the person that snaps her gum, Oh oh, I'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna watch you roll along the ditch in my rear view mirrors that drive away.
Speaker 3: A friend of mine was snapping her gum the other day and I looked at it and I went, are are you serious right now? What?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So, uh yeah, I guess this is increasing in popularity and back when people are struggling and blah blah blah. All right, So COVID made us ruder Yeah, that's what I've seen that in a couple of different places.
Speaker 2: I'm no car pooler, but anytime I'm stuck in like San Francisco Bay Area traffic or something like that going into work, I think, for an allegedly smart beast, it's amazing that this is the way we've all structured our lives. That we are all individually taking hours out of our day and hours off of our lives trying to get to working back, and this is the best we can do. It's always surprising to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I remember when we used to take calls and we talked to super commuters, not supercomputers, supercommuters, totally different conversation, and they would say, essentially, I'm making so much money, I'm trading my life now for a better life down the road when I'll be financially secure maybe, which is a great bargain. Unless you know, the lights go out before you get a chance to enjoy the fruits of your labors.
Speaker 2: You die, mean, Yeah, that's what I meant.
Speaker 1: I meant die.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think unless you're lying to yourself, which I think is often the case, that you're going to continue doing this the rest of your life.
Speaker 1: Super commuting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just like commuting a lot. I've known lots of people did their whole lives.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 2: I don't know why, but you know, teach to teach their own.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sure, I keeps radio in business.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, true. Yeah, keep doing it, folks, that was my point. Keep doing it. Yeah, don't worry about it. You're never going to die, so keep keep commuting.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm too polite in the backseat. I remember taking a cab in Las Vegas and had the scariest driver and we got there, but I wanted to say something so badly, like let me out, let me out, but I just.
Speaker 2: Bit my lip. You don't speak past tune.
Speaker 1: So yeah, there's that.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess that's it.