Speaker 1: And now Move the Sticks with Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks. What's up everyone?
Speaker 2: I am Bucky Brooks and this is Moved the Sticks and I'm joined by my guy Lance Zeroline, the man who does everything for the website as related to providing all the profiles, breaking it all down. How many profiles do we knock out this year?
Speaker 1: We only got to like four forty five? My editor said he did. He said, don't write guys that can't get drafted. I don't want to have to edit them. I said, I don't want to have to write them, so bet, and we're on the same page.
Speaker 2: I mean, you gotta love that. I appreciate all the work because that is man laborious. When it comes to like forging and something profiles, that's you know what I'm.
Speaker 1: Gonna tell you. The sneaky tough part is I'm watching tape and uh late October for some of these prospects, and then early November, and there's two things that are really tough. I'm gonna start with the easiest one, where you think you have a player based on tape, you know his speed or this or that or length or whatever, and then you get the measurements or you get that. Now we're half to wait til Pro Day for some of these guys to run. Xavier's Restrepbo ran a four eight forty. I gotta go back and change part of my my scotter report to reference his speed, Like you have to put that in there, And truth be told, Bucky, I don't. He probably doesn't get drafted with a four eight forty. That's not say he can't make a team, but it's real hard for teams to, you know, get on board with drafting a shorter slot receiver with a four eight forties all he has to his name. And so going back and you know, re relooking at and retouching up some of the some of the scouting reports, some of the strengths and weaknesses I wrote up after Pro Day's one thing. But I'll tell you what else is tough. I wrote Josh Simmons and he was out for the year. So I wrote him in late thirty late November, early December, and I run him up. Man, this guy is athletic. I like him. I'm gonna give him a sixty two that means kind of an average starter grade, kind of a two basically. And then you finish up the whole class. By the time I'm done with the whole class, and you go back and watch Josh Shimmons and you get your bearings under you about what it all looks like, and you read, you know, you get recentered. I went and watch him the other day. I'm like, man, this guy is easily a high sixty four. Like he's easily the most he's the most talented tackle in the draft, easily the most talented tackle. But it's different when you watch a guy, you know, in November before you've really got a good feel of the whole class. And remember, I'm hitting start again basically in October November, I'm not. I don't really look in June or July like I used to because I just found that it kind of was a waste of time. I get an idea, but I don't want to. I don't want to cloud my process with bias. You know, just looking back at some of these guys that like Josh Simmons, that guy should be a top six pick realistically, but he's not gonna be. You know, Walter Nolan's got some maturity issues. That guy's a top ten pick realistically.
Speaker 2: You took me to where I want to go. It's time for the winning combination, brought to you by Low's and Lance. Like, I kind of wanted to have that conversation because what I like to do to kind of keep myself honest is like I read a lot of the stuff that is on the internet, and someone that recently posted kind of like a composite of like they talked to a bunch of different scouts and coaches about the guys and the names that you know, they made a top one hundred and so I always kind of like to look at my list compared to somebody else's list to see if I had did I have any egregious errors? Am I missing somebody? And on this list they had Walter Nolan at six And at the end of last week I brought walteron Nolan up on path to the draft because I kind of dug into his background and excuse me for not knowing this, but he was the number one recruit in the class when he came out, like the same class as Travis Hunter. Walter Nolan was number one. So then I was like, well, wait a minute, Like I saw the talent. I looked at my notes. I liked what I wrote, I had him in my like top fifteen. But I'm looking. I'm like, let me go back and look at Texas A and M. And you're like, oh, whoa, Walter Dolan kind of got that that get down. And then you go and you look at him play at Ole Miss and you see first step quickness, hand you said, you see the penetration. You see him flash dominance where he has some takeover the game ability. And unfortunately, I would say for us in the TV world, man, sometimes we get roped into having the same conversations about the same guys, and we neglect guys that should have more conversation. And my goal this week on Path was, hey, man, we need to have this conversation about Walter Nolan being a legitimate guy where everyone is kind of pencils in. Mason Graham is like, oh, Jackson Milla six, Jackson Milla five, Mason Graham firsty tackle boom. Walterton Nolan's gonna go a lot higher than people think.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing I've got him regardless of you know, there's like people I talk to at A and M said high high maintenance, got some high maintenance stuff to him, and look I've been told he is gonna fall. Realistically, he's ahead of Coaston Loveland. I've got him fifth in this class. You just turn on the tape and watch tape. You can't go in any other direction other than Walter Nolan is a top defensive tackle on the draft, you really can't. I like Mason Graham. He plays hard, but I think that he's, you know, kind of a standard hard playing defensive tackle that some shorter arms can't really long limb his way around guys. As a rusher, Walter Nolan is explosive on all three downs. Walter Nolan is a guy that can disrupt on first, second, or third down. He's you know, he's long, he's quick, he's he's he's very physical and aggressive. If we just work off the tape, You're right, he does deserve a lot more conversation. I don't think I think some of the I think some of it is driven by the fact that he may not be a top you know, a top ten, top fifteen pick, even though his play warrants it. But we had this conversation with Jalen Carter. You know, Jalen Carter, we had plenty of conversation about Jalen Carter and he ended up going tenth. Like Walter Nolan, You're right, we haven't. I mean, truth be told Walter Nolan, James Pierce, James Pearce yep, and uh, you know Will Johnson because he didn't he never ran, so there's gonna be a question about his speed. And I'm missing I'm missing one more, but there's Josh Simmons. Man, these guys right here you could be looking at you know, I don't know what's gonna happen Will Johnson, but the other three there's maturity issues, some character concerns, whatever the case may be. I mean, realistically, those are top I mean we're talking about tops six, eight, twelve. And so I ask you this, Bucky, let me flip it on you. When as a team do you say, are you comfortable enough with my room is strong enough? Even if this guy's mature or whatever. Like everyone has a different standard or a different breaking point. But I'm really curious when somebody says, man, I'm I'm drafting the talent and we will, we will work on getting a good mentor with this guy. We're going to get a plan for him. Because those three guys, I just mentioned and Will Johnson is a speed thing, so that that's a little different. That's real, real first round, high end talent that may slip to the you know, the back half of the first round, which is crazy to me.
Speaker 2: Okay, So here's the thing, and here's the challenge on our side, right, So a lot of times we're tasked with lisk and I just realized that I got to do a mock draft today, so I flow through that pretty quickly and get that done. So but lance is one of the things that I'm always pretty resolute that I want to be able to look back at my list in three or four years and be able to own whatever I put out there in terms of top fives, how I got them ranked or whatever, and ignore because it's easy on our side to get caught up in well, I want the list to reflect what the draft looks like in terms of win guys come off the board. But that's not the way that it should be done. That all of this should be done is in three years, how do we expect this guy to impact the league? Because that's the line of demarcation when we're great thing, the guy is our expansion expectation for how the player is going to play by the end of his third season in the league. And those guys that you believe are going to be stars lack of Jalen Carter. We always sit here and talk about, Man, Jalen Carter should be the first player in the draft. All the other stuff clouded us. And so what has happened for Jalen Carter since he's shown up at Philadelphia. He looks like the best defensive tackle in ball and that's what the grades should have been. It's not really our job to deem people for the character stuff, right team's job. My job was talking about, well, look, he may fall because of his character, but this is the player. The player is this and everyone has a different level of tolerance for character issues and those things. But as you talked about the guys that you name, Nolan, Pierce, Simmons, Johnson, all the excellent players, all the worthy of being top twelve players based on what they put on tape. Now, the other stuff someone else can unpack that. But the talent is certainly there. And I feel like for some of the guys, man, look, James Pears has become almost like a bad word on TV, even though on our side we don't have anything to document why he's falling.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, And I you know, I keep my grades separate from the character stuff. Now I will change round projections because that's supposed to be where I think you'll go based on league intel. But I mean, i've got James Pearce, a is a sixty four, which is a true first round player. I've got Josh Shit, you know, Simmons. I was just kind of late. Like I said, I wrote him too early. Frankly, his grade should be higher, but I'm not going to change it. But I got him at a borderline first. But I mean, frankly it should. You know, my grade should probably be a six four eight, which would put him in the neighborhood maybe even higher. A sixty five, which is a boombus number because of you know, some character or whatever. But I've got Walter Nolan up there, I've got James pears like I don't mess with I typically don't mess with that stuff because, like you said, I've got to just watch the tape and put the information that's out there on the tape because I know everyone's going to be reading it. And what do you say? I got to say strengths and weaknesses. I mean, I can put something about character concern and maybe my grade, maybe it could be altered a little bit, but typically I don't like whatever I see on tape is what I see on tape. And you're right, TV mainstream, big TV shows, it's a lot of Shador Sanders talk. But the reality is Shoudre Sanders is probably not one of the you know, I don't know if any of the quarterbacks are a top ten player in this draft, but guys, we're talking about our guys who are top ten talents in this draft though, and they're not talked about much.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing that is irritating. The other thing that has been irritating about the process. And this isn't supposed to be like a thing where we're airing out grievances. But let's be real. Like we've talked about Camboard and the way that we've talked about him, the way we've put him up there, he's gonna go number one. But I think everyone should understand cam Ward is not the best player in this draft. Like whether you talk about Travis Son, Abdua Card or whatever, Ashton Gitty, whatever, but like they are multiple guys that are better players, better prospects than cam Ward. He may be the first quarterback to go and we're going to celebrate him and give him his flowers as that. But when we're grading the player for the player, there are other players that are look at the front of the line when it comes to cam Ward. And let's also talk about this because of the Shudur Sanders thing or whatever. And even though I had him rank like him and cam Ward, to me, I get the same grade. I just have a preference for Chadur over cam Ward. But let me be honest about my grade when it comes to Schaduur in camp both of them, I gave bottom of the first round grades And the reason why bottom of the first round because it's hard to talk about like on TV life bottom of the first round. That means you don't like him. No, it means what I'm saying is solid starter. That's what it means. It doesn't mean that I believe that he is going to be an All Pro, superstar, Hall of Famer or whatever. It's a solid starter grade. And you're a conversation with Ballard or Ryan Poles or anybody in the league would tell you, look, man, your great is to reflect how you expect them to play, and if we're being true to the process. Look, if you told me that Shadur Sanders were drafted twenty six by the Rams, I was like, that's actually perfect because that's where he would be graded at. In most years, he's graded bottom of the first round. The Rams are picking there he would go. If he was twenty one to the Pittsburgh Steelers, That's perfect because I would say the great reflects where he goes. Where teams mess up when they draft people much higher than the value or the talent that the player brings out. And I know on TV we mess up and we cloud the minds of fans by saying, oh, people get pushed up. No, they shouldn't get pushed up. If a player is not a blue chip player, you cannot take him in a blue chip position because it throws off everything when you get down the line and you start talking about expectations and those things. If you take an average player in a blue chip spot in three years, you're like, man, we mean we took him third overall. He's not giving us because he never was that player.
Speaker 1: Never was that. Yeah, I took a lot of bullets in my starting a round in the second Monk. I mean, I've watched all these guys and I'm like, man, NFL team, I'm just gonna go with what I see because I trust what I see. And I put Shador once. I had him falling in the mock past a couple spots, and at that time Raiders were a potential and Jets. But I you know, the second Monck is before free agency, and so I was like, man, if these teams tighten it up with free agent quarterbacks, he's gonna fall because the great the tape doesn't say you draft him this high. And so I had him slide down. I had the Browns jump up and grab him at twenty nine. Woh woh. The Internet was not happy with me for doing that, but I just had to be real because that happens a lot. Sometimes guys get drafted earlier. The next one, I put him at twenty four. This last one, I'm probably putting them at twenty one with the Steelers, and I think it's because you know, you have to find you're right. There's a long history of passing, Like can you imagine passing on Abdull Carter and someone are going to argue the Titans are doing this. You know, you could make this argument. You're passing on Abdul Carter, You're passing on Travis Hunter, Yeah, Cambell, you know, or Shador or any other court Jackson Dart, any other quarterback. And I think with the NFL, Brian Billick, I've said this story before. He's made the comment before. When I was in the room and he was talking, he said, as soon as you draft the first round quarterback, the hour glasses turned over on your job, and if you don't develop that quarterback, you and your general manager get fired. Usually the head coach for sure, will get fired. Sometimes at GM. And he said, you know, Kyle Bohler got in you knowing nothing against Kyle Bowler, but he said, we drafted Colin the first. And his whole point was, you know, if you're comfortable taking a player with the nineteenth pick, you should be comfortable take a quarterback. That is, you should be comfortable taking them with the fifth pick, because either way, you're gonna get fired if you don't develop them. And I thought that was interesting. However, I would also say, now, wait a minute, who are the guys were passing on in the draft. If we were to take a guy number five. So I just think that this draft, very very rarely have I had quarterbacks. Trevor Lawrence would be the one time, and you know, and he's been I think, kind of average so far. Very rarely have I had quarterbacks as the very best player in the draft to be hot Garrett Tekwon Barkley. But it's rare to have quarterbacks who are actually on film the best players.
Speaker 2: It is rare. And we talk about the value of the position, and that is the other thing when it comes to it. Lance we talked about first round quarterbacks versus not. We did all the research and what was crazy to me, like since twenty fifteen, over the last decade, we talked about Pro bowlers. Nineteen Pro Bowl quarterbacks were first round picks from twenty fifteen to whatever. Nineteen Pro Bowls are taken in the first round in rounds two through seven. Four quarterbacks pick two through seven have only made four Pro Bowls. Second round pick was Jalen Millroe. Seventh round I think was Brock pretty Garnermentshew, No, not Jaylen Melville, Jaylen Hurts, yeah, Jalen Hurts, sorry, Yeah. Garna Minshew was a Pro Bowl, he counts in that. Brock Perty would count that. But that's what we're talking about. So when we start to have these conversations and we always get to it right Like on TV, we talked about, like, hey man, who's the second round guy that you can get nobody like because the odds suggests that it's not going to happen if they're not graded as a first round talent. The odd suggested they're not going to be a player that really makes a dent in the league. And this year reminds me of the twenty the Kenny Pickett year where we talked about these guys Kenny Pickett, Desmond Rhader, Malik Willison, whoever else was in that class. Oh man, somebody's going, oh, somebody's going no crowd. No, yeah, Matt Crown was the one. And so I say this to you to remind me, hey man, grade the player for the player and live with the grade. It is un likely that if there's someone that doesn't pop for us when we're looking at quarterback, it's unlikely they're gonna pop in the league like that.
Speaker 1: So, Bucky, I had done this a ten year study, and you're talking a lot about kind of a lot of the stuff that I did. So here's the number.
Speaker 2: Buck.
Speaker 1: You either think they're a starter, and if they're a starter, you're really risk your job you put them in a first That's what it is. Over the last ten our last ten drafts, thirty five first round quarterbacks, fourteen third rounders, six second rounders, and the second rounders. As you mentioned Jalen Hurts, but you got Christian Hackenberg, Kyle Trask in the second round. Will Levis like, it's it's a dead zone. Now, there was a time in the what was it the fourteen draft. I think it was where you had Jimmy Garoppolo, you had Derek Carr. That was a little different time. But now when you look at it, it's really teams are saying, look, if we think a quarterback is a first and this is why Jackson Dark, Tyler Shuck uh Shador Sanders, this could swing either way for him. But what you're not gonna what you rarely see as many second round picks. Only six players in the last ten drafts have been picked in the second round as a quarterback. And the reason simple, if we think you're a quarterback, we're pushing you into the first that's we're gonna get the extra year on you because it's too expensive a quarterback, especially now, we're gonna get the extra year, we'll get the franchise year, we got the developmental time. And if we don't think you're for if we don't think you're a starting quarterback, why are we gonna take you in a second when there are much better cornerbacks you're this is a picked over Your position group's already picked over. I got real cornerbacks. I got real linebackers who are gonna start this year and could and his history tells us could make Pro Bowls. Why am I gonna put You're gonna go to the third round. So it's almost like you're either in the first or you're in the third. Historically, this year could break the moll because I think Milree goes in a second. I think Tyler Shuck probably goes in a second.
Speaker 2: I think there's a lot of conversation. There's a lot of conversation on h Like I said, Bruce Feldman talked about don't expect to see Tyler shop going to the top forty. You had Tom Tayler Server put a reporter out saying NFL coaches and scouts have told him they believe Jalen Murlroe is a better running quarterback than Lamar Jackson was in college, which I was like, hold on, like you probably won't check check the facts, oh jack Lamar Jackson had four thousand rushing yards in three years. He had back to back rushing seasons with fifteen one hundred yards. He scored fifty rushing touchdowns. I love Jalen Murro. I love his superpowers. Jaalen Murran get close to doing what Lamar Jackson did as a collegiate player. So it's compair to even make that comparison.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not even doesn't make sense because you're telling me a running quarterback, Well, you have to be able to throw something. Jalen frankly cannot throw like Lamar Jackson did in college. Jalen's decision making his accuracy. It's not good passing tape. Honestly, Jalen Milroe's tape is not very good this year as a pastor. That's why some of the late him. I mean, he's an incredible athlete, don't get me wrong, but I think a lot of the Lamar Jackson Jalen hurts He's not Jalen Hurts either. Jalen was a better thrower of the football coming out. Jalen was just a little tardy from a timing standpoint. But he can spin it. He's got an arm, he's got a really tight spiral. He's got rare leadership stuff to him. He's got you know, Jalen Hurts is a guy that I really learned from because I just didn't think that guy could be a full time starting quarterback and be a good one. But when you have, you know, and I do think the Eagles have done a nice job of putting him in position to succeed, like they're asking him to do things he does well, which is the key for all quarterbacks really when you get right down to it, don't ask a quarterback to do something he doesn't do well, but maximize his strengths. And so if you draft Jalen Milroe knowing that you know it's gonna be somebody has to really have a plan for him. And you know, I do wonder Bucky. In this day and age, people get a little sensitive. You and I know each other, so I you know, we can talk about whatever. You know, some quarterback, you know some teams are having a conversation. I talked to teams who already aren't having a conversation about Hey, if it doesn't work at quarterback, we.
Speaker 2: Put him a running back.
Speaker 1: We're gonna make the shift. We'll make the switch. Now. Look, listen to a lot of those guys who I don't know the last time that was successful where you came in starting as a quarterback.
Speaker 2: Well, I would say that it reminds me a lot of our colleague Michael Robinson when Mike Robb was coming out of Penn State. And this is a long time Mike, Mike rob made a man. He made a transition that you never would think you go, You go from quarterback to being a slobbery knocker at fullback. That is crazy. But that speaks to the type of athleticism that he had. But like, you can't tell me that Jalen Milroe couldn't be an offensive weapon if it didn't work out. He couldn't be someone that you line up in the dot and do that. He would have to learn how to do pass protection whatever. But I mean he's four three nine, he's two hundred and twenty five pounds, four three nine. You see the body is ripped up like yeah, but you give him every opportunity to make it as a quarterback. I mean, no different than Taysom Hill, you know what I'm saying, Like he's a much better player than taste, but similarity, do you try and find ways to put those athletes on the field. And sorry to lead the listeners on this this dialogue and this dissertation on quarterback play, but it's funny how the conversation and how we spend so much of our time talking about it on TV that it prevents us from talking about some of the other guys. I'm glad you brought up Josh Simmons because that was a conversation that I wanted to have. But also, what's your take on Will Campbell Because there's a lot of like he kind of bores people in terms of like, oh the arm length and he's not this and not that. But I don't know. I saw him at LSU start right away, have a lot of success in what we all view as the toughest conference in football. I guess a lot of big time past rushers. What's your take on what would you dassy about?
Speaker 1: Well, so, my dad as a as a former NFL on line coach. He always said anyone who says arm length isn't important doesn't coach on line, because that's it is important because if you don't have it, you have to be really you have a small margin for error when it comes to pass pro and really beyond pass pro, just run blocking anything. Because offensive line play is about first in right, you want to be first in usually typically that is with hands, and so if you are going to be a shorter arm tackle, and to be sure, shorter arm tackles are considered anything under thirty four inches. Will Campbell's under thirty three inches. That's like Jonah Williams when he came out. I like Joonah Williams, but Joonah Williams has not been as big a factor as I was expecting him to be coming out. They tried to playhim a tackle and it's you know, it's been pretty average over there. I think Will Campbell has really heavy hands. I think that right now. There are some inconsistencies with his timing of his hands, so the link does come into play from time to time. I just think he gets sloppy with the footwork sometimes, and I do think that's correct. But when the bullets are flying. All the work you did in practice, like it's got to you got to turn it into muscle memory. But what he's really special at is he has incredible recovery. Even when he gets beaten, he recovers and gets people blocked. And that that is a skill, that's a talent, that's an athletic ability that you have to acknowledge for being a guy that stands kind of straight up. And I ask his trainer, Duke Mannyweather, about us, So what does he say about playing? You know, he plays so high up and he said, well, he said, when he comes out of his stance, he kind of pops up anyway. So why not start there? So he you know, there's no delay. He starts there and then he takes off. Because he's actually a good run blocker. Even though you know he's not a he can bend. He just doesn't look like he's a bender. But when you see him play, you see the bending, you see the athleticism. I think he's a tough ass guy. I think he's somebody will hit you in the mouth. I think he is a mentality player. And I think he's a patriot. You really want to know that, I sink. Mike Rabel's gonna say, Man, that's a Patriot. I'm gonna get Patriots in here, and we're gonna start with this guy. We don't have a left tackle and we need more Patriots. And I think that's I think it's that simple. I like Will Campbell. I think there's some holes in his game. I think there's some holes in Kelvin Banks's game. This is not a real clean tackle draft, to be honest with you, not at the top.
Speaker 2: Glad you brought up Kevin Banks, because Kevin Banks is a guy that I feel like people haven't talked enough about. He's kind of kind of flown, not under the radar on the process. But man, this conversation about him being a top ten pick, that your buddy Ryan Poles could take a look at him, maybe at ten for the Bears if they just need another body, if you want to kind of continue to fortify the offensive line. He's interesting, But I want to go to another guy. They talked about Tyler.
Speaker 1: Book putt Ryan Poles on me. I'm not like that with Ryan Poles anymore.
Speaker 2: He's a GM now, he's a big time I'm sorry. I'm sorry. Okay, Like your former friend.
Speaker 1: The artist report Buck. I just write reports. I'm just trying to write reports. That's all I'm trying to do.
Speaker 2: So Tyler Booker like this, I think I think he did good.
Speaker 1: I think I think he couldn't be a good bear, though, I think he could be a good bear. You're right, because they.
Speaker 2: Kevin Banks. Yeah, Now what do you think about? What do you think about Tyler Booker? Like people are making out like the one thing that I love and appreciate about him, he strikes me as the bodyguard. He's the bully on the block. He's going to do it. It may not always be pretty whatever, but he is going to give you the attitude. He's going to move people. But there's always in his game, Like people would tell me that, hey he's a gap scheme only player. You don't want to see his big, lumbering self in his own scheme. But what did you take? You know a lot of group.
Speaker 1: I went and watched him, So I watched him for the Joe More Awards too, which is the top offensive line in college football. So I've spent a lot of time on a lot of these guys. I think he nailed it. Everything you said is accurate. It's exactly how I see it. And and he's not, you know, the best athlete. He didn't test very well from an athletic standpoint. But when I watch him on tape, and I went and specifically search for lead pools and outside zone blocks because that's going to be on the move. I want to see him on the move. He's okay, he can do. He can get some lead polls. Now you don't want to weigh way out in space, but he can. He can pull a little bit. He can come from opposite the opposite guard spot and come around the corner for you if you need. It's a little better coming from playside guard to pull over the outside of the tackle. But I think what you said is important. He is a grimy, tough guy who you want to add. The teams who are most excited about adding him they want somebody who is a bully in their building. They want a leader, and they want a guy that's going to take charge in the offensive line, and they want somebody who's gonna get chippy if you mess with the quarterback. You know, he's not the player that Quenton Nelson is from in terms of the entire package, But He's got that same type of mentality that Q Nelson had coming out of Notre Dame, which is kind of a rare mentality, and books that.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I think there's some limitations in most drafts. I think he's a second round pick in this draft. My own hometown team to Houston Texans. Man, they need somebody in the locker room that can they can they can get rally the troops and turn it into you know, turn it into a bodyguard squad for the quarterback c J. Stroud And and he strikes me as someone that Demico Ryans would love. Demico talks about swarm and I can't remember what it stands for, but it's a mentality, it's a work ethic. And I think Booker, to me, he won't fall past twenty five. I couldn't see that mentality falling past a team that wants a mentality in their locker room. Now, he could go as early as twelve to Dallas to replace Zach Martin, but he's you know, I think Donovan Jackson from Ohio State is more talented. He's a better athlete. But Booker, people who like Booker are going to like him for everything you talked about at the beginning.
Speaker 2: Of what you said, Yeah, the bully. Yeah, it's funny you talk about Donovan Jackson because to me, he is really solid, he's really kind of clean. When you look at him, there's a lot of things really really well. I can't say that he's exceptional in any area, but we've seen those guys play ten twelve years Lance in the league, like just solid Kevin Zeitler types that just play and play and play and just have a lot of success. Let's talk to a break very quick, and then we'll come back and we'll talk some more offense, but really we'll start moving to the defense. All right, Lance, So I want to clean up the offense, though. I want to ask you a couple of questions. Who is the wide receiver that we've slept on throughout this process in terms of a guy that we just haven't talked enough about. I feel like the conversation has been about really three guys. Ted McMillan has been on, Matthew Golden, and then the conversation about of late A Mecca Abuka.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I thinka goes into first. I think Luther Burden is one hundred, that guy from the very outset. I couldn't get people on board with me on the LU on the Luther Burden train this guy. So you have to go and specifically target his intermediate and deep throws. There's a lot in that offense, a lot of quick game built in. Let's just get the ball in his hands. Throw slants, throw wide receiver, you know, screens, throw hitches. And when people talk about his productivity, I hear people say, well, his productivity this year. Did you watch Tate? Did you see his quarterback? You ain't going to be quarterback. Brady Cook had a good year, a pretty good year last year on tape, I thought he was like a fourth round type, third or fourth round type player. This year looks undraftable, and he's big, he's got a good arm. There's a lot of traits. He was really bad this year. So how are you going to put production on Luther Burden when he's asked to catch a lot of short stuff and his quarterback just had a really rough year. For me, he he's got good play speed. He plays faster maybe than the time speed. When the ball is in the air. He is a terrific ball winner. He is really competitive. It reminded me of Garrett Wilson when I watched him. I think Luther Burden in my personal grades, is my top wide receiver in this draft. I've got him over Milling Golden and Egbuka. I think people are sleeping on them way too much. And I don't know if there's something else to play here, but Luther Burden if he gets to I don't even think he needs the right spot. I think Luther's just going to show out as a pro. He's going to get out of that Missouri offense and where he had some limitations, and I think you're going to see a different wide receiver. I think people need to remember what they thought of him before the year started.
Speaker 2: You know, it's funny, man, because when I look at him, I just love everything about his game. He's a catching around specialist. He's tough, he's physical. I've made the comparison to Deebo Samuel just in terms of like what he does with the ball in his hands, and he's underrated in that regard. Let's talk about some other guys. You got the Iowa State guys, uh, the Jays as I call them. You got the big guy. I think it's Higgins, and then you have Yoel, who's like the shorter, quicker, move around guy. You also have some other guys. I just feel like like we have an empty the clip in terms of like wide receivers that can play, guys that we like other guys, because it seems like there's so many guys. Jadi Broyles from Utah State is one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you weren't. You weren't a senior bow where you go.
Speaker 2: I wasn't a scene. I was the East West, Okay.
Speaker 1: So Jalen Royals look like. I love Jalen Royals. My grade on him is I got a second round grade on him. I think he goes in the third is my guess, but some people think fourth. I'm just telling you. He's got great size, he's physical from the slot. He catches everything, great hands. I think he's one of the safest wide receivers in this draft. You're not gonna line him up outside and stretch the field, but he could end up being a high volume target. He deserves more conversation than he gets. I think Trey Harris, you know, I came into last year. I watched Trey Harris last year. I thought he was coming out and I was like four to fifth. I watched him this year and I thought he was a second. I think he goes into third. He didn't run as fast. He's in the low four fives. But man on tape, he can win deep. And then when you throw on the ball underneath, so they do a lot of and you know, all miss kind of simplifies sometimes, so you got a lot of vertical it's kind of that you're on that linear plane. So you got verticals, and then you got stop routes, and then you got hitch routes. And they don't ask him to do a lot of you know, sink and break and run more complicated routes. You want to give him the ball on a three yard hitch. He is going to be a bull in a china shop after the catch. Like he is a really physical runner after the catch. He does have that ability to get down the field and create explosive plays. I don't care that he doesn't run a five. I don't care that he doesn't run a four to four because unless you have safety hop it's going to be him versus the other guy, and he's a bully when the ball is in the air. So I think Trey Harris should have a little bit more conversation. I think he's going to be a good wide receiver number two in the league. And then another guy who you know, battled some injury last year and came back or was it this year that he got injured?
Speaker 2: It was this year?
Speaker 1: Tory Horton from Colorado State. He's a good football Tory is a good football player. And once again we get so caught up and talking to the same names over and over. But Tory Horton is a good football player who I think could end up going in the third round and in becoming a quick contributor in the NFL.
Speaker 2: Okay, So back to the Harris conversation. It's funny because there was one conversation about Trey Harris before the combine and then it was like he went to the ether, like he just disappeared because he didn't run a four to four time, even though on tape we see him run by guys time and time again in that old miss offense. And is one of the dangers of being so caught up in the combine and the numbers, is that guys that we liked on tape, we kind of pushed him to the side in lieu of guys who were the super athletes at the combine. Look Man Harris was a guy that was a big play specialist. Like think about a number of deep balls we saw Jackson Dark throw to him, and all of them were not schemed up a he's wide open. Because Lane Kiffin was a master of the pen. He ran by some legitimate guys. And one of the things that I learned from Mike Holgerman and your caskal, they said, like, when you have a big guy that is over six y two who runs four or five to four or five five, that's moving for a bigger guy, and that you want to give them credit for being able to do that. So it's just funny how forgotten he has become in this process. When we talked about him, like leading up to the combat, we talked about him potentially being a look a bottom of the first round guy. That's what the conversation was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know his ten yard split is a one five six, which is pretty good. It shows you how quick he can accelerate vertical leap of thirty eight and a half and a broad a ten five. So he's got some explosions. Yeah, yeah, I mean, so I don't I don't really get it personally on him. I do wonder sometime if there's a natural tendency in the even in the league. He started off at LA Tech and then he came, you know, he came and had two years at old mess started off at LA Tech. I do wonder sometime if there is a little bit of a subconscious bias against guys who started smaller programs and then portal to larger ones, and maybe that will go away now that the portal is a mainstream.
Speaker 2: I wonder, yeah, like, there may be something to it, because even the Matthew Golden conversation, there's that conversation. I mean there there is that stigma. A little bit goes from h Town to then being at UT, like and then at UT you're trying to figure out what if he's so good, why wasn't he featured? And then people say, well, because you paid as the bond the money, so you had to feature him. Maybe, but coaches are coaches. They see everything every day. They didn't feature him like a number one all the time, but it showed up on occasion. Uh, anybody else on office? Oh running back, I gotta go to this running back thing because hey, man, there's some love on the street for Dylan Sampson from Tennessee.
Speaker 1: Good. I was hoping you were gonna say, Dylan Sampson, you can't watch to Bucky had twenty two rushing touchdowns in the SEC. Twenty two rushing touchdowns, and he gets tough yards. He gets fifteen yard running touchdowns. He has really really impressive instincts in short yardage, like he's only two hundred pounds in that neighborhood, but when he gets the ball in tight quarters, he's got that Emmett Smith quality. You know how emmittt could find just the smallest crease and work his way through. I think he has some of that. I think when it's all said and done, he is one of the Dylan Samson for me is my let's see, I got an Ashton genty, then O'maron Hampton, and then Dylan ham and then I got Dylan Sampson three ahead of quin Shawn Judkins, ahead of Caleb Johns. And who I think is I didn't love him on tape as much as maybe some other people did. And no, I think Dylan Samson is a good running back if he were two hundred and ten pounds no one blinks, and he goes in a second and no one says a word. He's about two hundred pounds, and now all of a sudden, you know, we got question marks about him. I don't have any questions.
Speaker 2: It's funny because of my last top five, I put cam Scatterboo over top of him, and some of it, yeah, but some of it is like Lancelike sometimes you just want to give guys visibility, and so I had given Dylan Sampson some visibility. But look, I really loved camp schtabul And at the same time, I really like what Dylan Sampson brings to the table. When I watched him at Tennessee, man, speed, quickness, balance, burst, all that stuff he puts it in. And the fact that you talked about, man, you just don't score twenty plus touchdowns in the sec like you put the ball in the paint. People can talk about that offense and how they spread it out or whatever, but I saw him carve up some big time defenses like scooting and scoring around the corner.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I got an argument with a personnel director about him, and they were trying to send me videos of him with big lanes to run through I'm like, yeah, we can all do that. I can show you Caleb Johnson if you want, Like, we can all go to a play and screenshot. This isn't hard. But I watched that joker on every carry and he is really like he's a talented, instinctive runner. I think, the same thing you know in Cam Scattabull. It's it's really interesting talking to teams who are there's internal fights in buildings right now about him because you have some you have one section which will fight for him, and then you'll have other scouts or coaches or whatever. Well, typically coaches are on his side, to be honest with That's kind of what I'm finding, and it's because they don't like there is no preconceived notion he's a guy that looks like, you know, a mini version of Mike Alstad or whatever. All I know is when you watch him play, he's really hard to tackle and he can catch the ball out of the backfield. He scores a lot of touchdowns. He's rarely stopped on first impact, rarely. He creates for himself with tremendous power and the bursts average. The speed is gonna be below average in terms of top end speed, but when you're trying to the way I see him Bucket is I want to have a number one back, a good number one, And then scatter Boy is my closer. We're gonna come. We're going to beat the hell out of you with these two guys, And like, can you imagine if Jim, you know, Hardball, got his hands on him. I mean, he's gonna want to We're just gonna play bully ball. He's gonna get a couple and all he's gonna want to do is get downhill and break people off. So you know, for me, Scatterball is that perfect second back for a team that wants to play power running down the downhill.
Speaker 2: This look quickly to defense. We talked about the defensive tacles and those guys. Anybody else that we need to touch on who haven't we haven't kind of put enough light on. I've talked about before coming from Michigan State and those guys. But someone who we have about is TJ. Sanders. Did you like him from South Carolina?
Speaker 1: I did? I did, And you know, he's it's interesting. I thought he's a little small on tape and then I saw him at the combine. He's not the biggest guy, but he's built really well. You know, sometimes you just got to get eyeballs on somebody. It's hard to tell on tape. You get eyeballs and you see guys who have the body type and who don't. And he's got the body type. Like I said, he's not the biggest guy, but he's got a real NFL body type. And I think I think he needs to be talked about. I think Shamar Turner out of Texas A and M some questions about the medicals on him. He had a leg injury, so he hasn't been available for this process. His agent says he's been medically cleared. You know, you got to check in with teams to find out if they have him on the border or not. Shamart Turner justin mattaweek eight. That's the kind of player. Shamart Turner is the undersized interior lineman who is really explosive and really really fierce. He doesn't give you any quarter at all. Every snap is you're in a fistfight. And his problem is buck he has like five to fifteen yard penalties. He can't stop himself.
Speaker 2: He's like a hockey gooon.
Speaker 1: If you mess with one of his teammates. He's running over and cleaning you up. And it's not even like can't you do it inside a play where they can't catch you, like you can't do it after the tackle and they're resetting the football like it's it's late late. But he has a joy for football. Talking to people at A and M. They love him. I mean, they absolutely love him. And I thought the fifteen yard pill leasion, I wanted to find out, is this a guy that has anger issues? Is he out of control? Is he an issue in practice in the locker room? Not at all. They love Shamar Turner and they said he just goes to war for his teammates. He just has to reel it in a little bit. But Shamar Turner is somebody who you need to talk about. Shamar Turner. And as I mentioned, the other defensive tackle was as you said, TJ. Sanders, those are two guys who can make plays on the here. They're not just drain cloggers like they're guys who make plays. And Jamary Caldwell from Oregon is another one of those guys, kind of a sloppy body type and you think, eh, but then when you will put the tape on him and Vernon Broughton have these weird body types. Vernnon Broughton from Texas. I think both of them get drafted in the fourth. These jokers just make a ton of plays. They're all over the place. But you know, I know enough to know that NFL teams like guys that look a certain way and have certain traits. But then once you get past the third round, it's like, let's go get the best for one we don't care who are the best guys. Who are the best, most talented football players we can get? And I think that's when Jamari Caldwell and Vernon Broughton, two defensive tackles in this draft, are gonna pop up. I like both of those guys. They make a lot of plays.
Speaker 2: Let's go linebacker situation. Everyone is all we talked to nausea about Jalen Walker, Joha Campbell. There's love for especially the guy kid from UCLA Sweat Julia's love for him. But Dennis Stetsman from Oklahoma and someone that kind of called my I love the playmaking. He ran faster than people anticipated at the combine. Uh when you look at him and wrote his profile, anything to you about him. What about him and Barrett Carter, Because I feel like Barret Carter is just well, he got rocks in his in his in his pants, and they have just dropped him to the bottom of the ocean when it comes to the draft. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Barret Carter. I had a second round grade on him last year when I wrote him up. Now lots changed. I mean, I think he's going to go into fourth probably. I think the one thing is I thought he was a four to four low four five four four forty guy and he came out at his pro day. I'm gonna pull it up for you right now. And this is what I think it really hurt him is he was supposed to be one of the things that stood out with him was going to be his uh, his speed, and then he ran a hold on a second up right here. He ran a four to sixty three. That's not slow, It's fine. His ten yard split was one five to nine. But when you think a guy's going to run a four to five to two, and then he has a thirty three inch vertical jump, which is not the most explosive vertical jump. He weighed in at two thirty two. I think that's one of the things that hurts a little bit. I know on tape, I like him on tape. I mean, you know, the testing and that's all part of it. But on tape, I think he's a pretty good player. I like Barrett Carter. I think he's worthy of going on day two. From the tape, I think because of his testing, he probably goes on day three. Schwessinger has some of the best instincts I've seen on tape the last several years. I mean, it's like he's moving with the play. It's like he knows where the play is. And he's not the biggest, strongest guy, but because he's ahead of the blocking scheme, he doesn't get touched up the way some linebackers do. He's able to slip blocks because he's running the play for you and he's running the track for the running. So he went from he's a one one year starter with like a billion tackles and I guess the word and I'm sure you heard this was I heard from somebody who knew people inside the UCLA program that said he was just wrecking show Kelly's offense when he was on Scout team defense, and for some reason, all the players thought he should be, you know, he should be a starter, and he didn't start until his last year, and then he was a killer this year. Now he's been a special team's ace the entire time of he was are he's a former walk on, but he's got good speed. He's an explosive. I think he's got like a forty inch vertical. He's got explosiveness to him. The one guy it's not a great it's it's considered a down year for linebackers. The one guy that Danny Stutsman is a good player. He ran well. Danny Stutsman's going to be a starting linebacker in the league. I think he goes in the third round. Another guy that deserves more attention is Demetrius Knight from South Carolina. Kind of a throwback in terms of body type, about two hundred and forty eight pounds. He's big, he's physical, he can run a little bit. He runs pretty well for being his size. They say he is a phenomenal leader in the locker room and on the field. A phenomenal leader, very upbeat, a guy who brings good, positive, high energy to the field and to the locker room. But he also is gonna split your wig for you if you try to get down hell on him. So you know he's got that physicality between the tackles, and he's got the demeanor that you want setting the tone on defense. But once you get past Stutsman, Knight, Schwesssinger, Campbell Walker, you start running into you start running into some ifs and butts. I think from there and you better have good special teams play. Even though I like Barry Carter too, I give him a sixty two, which is a third, But I just I don't think. I just I don't think he goes in there. But Jeffrey Bossa from Oregon, I think he'll be a solid player. Smell Munden has had some foot injury issues. I think he'll be a solid player. Uh, he gets it gets a little trickier after that. So if you want linebackers, you probably need to get him inside the first.
Speaker 2: Ninety picks, last position group to cover. Just be the DB's. We'll lump them all together. We've talked about all the usual suspects at corner. Everyone has. We talked at nausea about jadefe Aaron, We talked about Will Johnson. Uh, we got the injured guys Shavonne Ravel and those guys Benjamin Morrison, Maxwell Harrison has gotten love, caught fire of late. Let's move beyond that. Who are the other guys? The other guys that we need to talk about? That may not be first round guys, but when we get into that run and the second and third one, we're gonna be on the live show, Like, who are her names that we need to talk about? We need to at least flush out.
Speaker 1: Jacob Parish, Kansas state cornerback. Tremendous, short, area of quickness, very very sticky. There's sometimes he reminds me of Gyr Alexander when he was coming out. He is a really sticky corner with sticky feet and is a natural fleet, free flowing athlete. He's got that basketball athleticism. I like Jacob Parrish a lot, and I think he ran like really really well if I remember correctly too, so I keep getting third on him. But I'm telling you, I think he's I think he's definitely gonna outplay outplay that. From a trade standpoint, he weighed in at the combine. I'll give you his combine numbers here in a second. But Jacob Parris is the guy that I'm gonna get hyped on when we are on the broadcast. He ran a four three five, he's got thirty seven and a half ins vertical, a ten to nine broad He is five foot ten, one ninety one. I mean, you know the problem we have right now, Bucky, that you've probably seen too. Is it used to be oh good, we'll just throw him in a slot. Well, a lot of teams now want bigger, They want those hybrids now in the slot. So if this guy were five eleven and a half six foot, we may be talking about him in the first round. But it's strange because it's not like he's one hundred and seventy five pounds. He's one ninety one ninety one running in the four threes, and he's five to ten. That's kind of average size. But there are some teams that say, we just don't unless you're an absolute doll, we're not going to play you at slot because it's too valuable for us to have, you know, a run defender in the slot. So I don't know where he goes. I think he's a really really good cornerback. He's somebody that I think is is going to be a good NFL player. I also think Jonah Sanker the safety out of Virginia. He is a heat seeking missile downhill. He's he's got real NFL size, six foot by two hundred and sixteen pounds, runs pretty well, can run and hit you. He's got some instincts underneath. But he's one of those guys that as soon as the play gets started. You know how there's some guys that are defensive players, and there's others who are running into the fire. You know, they say, like firefighters, you gotta have a different mentality when that cage door locks in the UFC, right, we've got to have a different mentality. Jonah Sanker is one of those guys that where's the fire and he's flying in there trying to trying to go hit and be hit. So I like that. I like that, and it's funny because I'm finding the teams like him too. He doesn't get a lot of talk from the general public, but I think he's one of those guys that every team secretly hopes, Yeah, that's our guy in the third round. That's our guy in the third round. Well we'll see which one of y'all win the race.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'd be so interesting to see what that looks like, how that looks in terms of the guys who like those type players, who want to put those players in the back end. It's great that you brought up the different the shift that we're seeing in the slot players because so many colleges are playing with the quote unquote star position, that hybrid nickel. You have a lot of different options that if you want as a slot defender, do you want a safety type, do you want a corner type, and those things the other things that's shifting. Kyli Gordon getting paid from the Chicago Bears moving that up into the twenty million dollar category. The nickel position lance, Now we're really looking for guys that have a specific skill set for the slot. The nickel used to be the throwaway. Ay, anybody that's little, we're gonna make them a nickel. Anybody that's five eight, five nine, we're just gonna put them and make them a nickel corner. We'll put them on board and kind of that's where they go. Now it's a legitimate position, and it's interesting because you have to grade twelve positions on defense for starters, and a nickel position is one of those.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's why john Dy Barron. You know, some people are gonna look at Johnny barn from Texas. They're gonna say, well, where do we put him? Like we can't define his value. Another I talk to another defensive coach who told.
Speaker 2: Me, oh, I love it.
Speaker 1: He's he's Brian branch all over again. I got a nickel who can play out in the slot if I want. And so when you look at a guy like Johnny Barron, he's got the versatility to play over a pass catching tight end in the slot. He can play true slot, he can play the overhang nickel that star where he can get after it as a run defender, and he can step outside and play outside. So I think it's his versatility that may have him as the first. Almost Travis Hunter, I almost don't count him. He's like when Tiger Woods used to talk about, well, who's gonna finish second, Well, Travis.
Speaker 2: Is going to be the best.
Speaker 1: He's my first receiver in the draft. He's my first cornerback in the draft. So who's after him? I think Bearing goes first because ahead of the other corners, because he tested well. He had a great year this year, a lot of ball production, but versatility you just referenced it. Man, the ability to play in and that nickel role and outside, to play inside and outside comfortably and successfully, that's kind of rare. So I think that it has made grading these guys a lot more difficult. Brian Branch really showed you just go get a good football player, and a defensive coordinator is going to figure out how to play. He'll figure out how to play the safety, he'll figure out how to play the corner. But you know, it is it is tricky. They played Malachi Starks there this year. Georgia did, but he got beat on a lot of routes. Not bad, he just you know, he just wasn't like he's playing n He's playing cover nickel basically. So when I'm watching him in coverage stuff, he's going up against some pretty good sec wide receivers. They want to dial the tape back to twenty twenty three, and he's playing more of a split safety role. He's a lot better. I mean, he's coming downhill making plays, and so it really it really makes it more challenging to look at those players. But at the same time, for some NFL coaches, they see, oh man, we love it. We love it because now we can be varied in our defensive approaches and our personnel groups, and you can't really out scheme us. I mean, isn't that really what it gets down to, Bucky right now is we don't want you to be able to mismatch us. We want to mismatch you up front, but which happens a lot with D line and O line. We don't want you to mismatch us on the perimeter with skill.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's such a compelling thing. Last man, we made it. Now we stressed it out an hour. We stressing out an hour talking about all this stuff and look bad. It's on me. Let me finish it because that was a winning combination brought to you by Lows. We help you save. But no, like we stressed out, and there's so many things to talk about. I think we have another podcast before we go to the draft. I don't know, maybe Wednesday or something. We'll come back and kind of talk about that. I know, we got the post stuff I got you on one of the days, and then we'll pull some other guys in.
Speaker 1: But we got the mock. We got Buckie. We got Buckie Brooks's mock four point zero.
Speaker 2: I guess something. I'm sitting here working on that right now as we go through it, because I'm a little late to the party. But we will get it. We're gonna get it done. But look, that's today's a podcast. Moves to stakes me, Lancey. We'll be back later in the week to discuss all things the draft as we get ready for a huge event, maybe the biggest event on the scouting Community's counting until next time, I'm Bucky. That's lance We'll talk to you