Speaker 1: Wow, Wow, Hey everybody, It's Wednesday, October fourth, twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the NFL Fantasy Football Show. It's me and your man named g Marcus Grant, joined by Michael f. Florio. We are previewing Thursday Night football and the early Sunday games from Week five plus we're asking what to do about some key fantasy names returning to the field. So here we are. We are through four weeks. I'd say this is a quarter point of the season, but with a seventeen week season, like, the math doesn't quite work out.
Speaker 3: You hear a lot of times like, oh, the seasons is played in quarters, and it's like, yeah, it was perfect for that analogy. And then we added the seventeenth Yeah, the seventeenth game.
Speaker 2: And now it's weird. You know, you made it weird, NFL. You made it weird. We're gonna try to not make it weird. Today.
Speaker 3: We got plenty to talk about on this show. We got some fantasy heroes.
Speaker 2: We are previewing the entire Week five slates, and we're asking about what to do about some key names that are returned to the field. But let's get started, as we always do, with some fantasy headlines. The ongoing headline out of Cincinnati has to do with Joe Burrow and that calf injury that is very obviously limiting him right now now. According to both Burrow and head coach Zach Taylor, the quarterback is going to continue to play through injury. Meanwhile, t Higgins has a broken rib now. He said earlier in the week that he wants to try and play through it. He also said that he can't sleep on that side. And I'm like, bro, you can't sleep on it, but you're gonna let somebody like hit you. Terrible idea. It's a terrible idea, but you're a different person than me. But either way, we know the quarterback is going to try and get it out. We'll see whether or not t Higgins tries to gut it out. Would we and when I say we, I mean the Bengals and fantasy managers be better off if these guys just sat and rested and got healthy.
Speaker 3: I think for the Bengals were past that point, Like I think you should have listened to Jamar Chase and let Joe Burrow rest the first month of the season. They're up coming schedule after this week against the Cardinals, they get the Seahawks, the forty nine Ers, the Bills, the Texans, and the Ravens. Yeah, good luck in that stretch with they compromise Joe Burrow for fantasy, though, we gotta do what the Bengals are not doing. We have to sit Joe Burrow. And I also think it's okay to sit T Higgins because he's a risk of leaving early and they've als also been struggling to get him the ball right now. The only must start Bengal I would say, is Jamar Chase.
Speaker 2: I mean jam Archez definitely is. And even he was frustrated. You heard that last week when he said I'm always bleeping open. I don't think this was any sort of him having beef with Joe Burrow. Those guys go way back. I think this was just him being frustrated with an offense that can't move the football right now. And I definitely do think if the Bengals were in a different situation, if they weren't one in three and really looking up at everybody else in the AFC North, they probably would try to sit Joe Burrow. But as you mentioned, they don't really have that luxury you, my dear friend, and fantasy you do have that luxury. Hopefully you have another option, because Joe Burrow right now not the guy you want to rine with. Speaking of riding, Arthur Smith says the Atlanta Falcon is gonna keep riding with Desmond Ridder. Look, there are a lot of people this past week that were tweeting out gifts and tweets about Taylor Heineke. Hi, it's me, I'm people. I was tweeting out Taylor Heineke gifts because it just seemed like they couldn't keep going with Desmond Ritterer. But here they are.
Speaker 3: So as long as Ritter as the quarterback, are any Falcons pass catchers startable?
Speaker 2: Nope?
Speaker 3: Right now, Kyle Pitts has the lowest the highest rate of uncatchable targets in the NFL, and Drake London is third. So there are two top pass catchers that they use top eight picks on. They cannot get the ball. And yet despite the fact that all Falcons fans and everyone here is saying like, hey, maybe you should make the quarterback switch, Arthur Smith's doing exactly whatever he wants to do, which is what he did last year, and stick with a struggling quarterback until the season was really over. You would never guess that Arthur Smith grew up a billionaire, right.
Speaker 2: It's still is amazing to me that, you know, the son of the founder of FedEx refuses to work through the air. It just doesn't really make any sense to me. I can't figure that out. At this point, the only startable Falcon is b Jon Robinson. Yep, that's it. There are no other Falcons players that I feel comfortable having in my lineup. And we have reached the point of the story where Kyle Pitts is not only benchable, he is droppable in a lot of leagues. That's how bad it is. And look, maybe it's not all on him. He is dealing with an injury and he's trying to fight through that. But between the injury, between the scheme, between the lack of catchable targets, Kyle Pitts once again has has let us down. I mean it's again, it's not all on you, Kyle. We love you. It's the people you hang out with that's the problem.
Speaker 3: It seems like, take your parents tell you when you're a kid.
Speaker 2: Right, he'd be careful of the company you keep because right now it's a bad reflection on you. That's all. In some other news folks who are coming back calling this welcome back. Now what we are. They're a handful of guys, three in particular, that are set to, if not make their debuts this week very is very soon. The first one Jonathan Taylor, who's been on the pup list, he is back. He's expected to be practicing again this week for the Indianapolis Colts. In the meantime, Zach Moss has been playing really well. Anthony Richardson is back, He's running the football really well. If Taylor can come back and play in Week five, what does this mean for the Colts backfield?
Speaker 3: I think Jonathan Taylor, if he plays for the Colts, he plays for your fantasy team, unless we hear that he's on like a heavy snapcount or anything like that. If we don't hear that and we hear its full systems go you start him. And then for Zach Moss, I think he's a player you want on your roster, preferably not in your starting lineup. We know that if anything happens to Jonathan Taylor, and look, it's not like he hasn't been dealing with an injury. It's not like he hasn't been pretty vocal that he does not want to be here right now. So if anything was to happen to Taylor, we know that Zach Moss is an RB two with RB one upside. As for Anthony Richardson, I think this only helps him right Like, he's gonna keep getting to run the option. He's gonna continue to be heavily used near the goal on. He's a must start quarterback.
Speaker 2: The thing about the Colts backfield is that they really have been a one back offense. In Week one, it was Deon Jackson that got most of the work. He played seventy plus percent of the snap. Since then, Zack Moss ninety eight percent of snap, seventy six percent of snaps, eighty one percent of snaps. It has been the Zach Moss show. Now, if they in turn is that they're going to do that with Jonathan Taylor, the upside is huge. I mean, let's not forget this is a guy that two seasons ago we were drafting as the number one overall player in fantasy football. Obviously it didn't work out. Injuries and things sort of conspired against him. But it's not about talent. If he's getting this opportunity, he is talented enough to really take advantage of this and goes back to being a high high end RB one. Cooper Cup is eligible to come back. The twenty one day window on him being activated is now in progress for the Los Angeles Rams, Pukaakua is they're already fitting him for a gold jacket for Canton, apparently after the first four weeks of his career. Obviously, when Cup comes back, that means they're going to have to share some targets. Pooka Nakua does not go away, But how much do you downgrade him when we get a healthy Cooper Cup.
Speaker 3: Look, he goes from being a top five wide receiver to more of a wide receiver two I would say for fantasy purposes, But if there's any team that can keep two wide receivers afloat, it is a Sean McVay offense. We right now have pukaaku as a top five fantasy tight end, but two two out Well is a top twenty wide receiver. Tyler Higbee is a top ten tight end, And for years we had two top fifteen wide receivers with Cooper Cup and Robert Woods. Coming into the year, I thought Puka Nakula would play the Robert Woods role. He's been playing the Cooper Cup role with him sideline. I think Cup comes in and obviously becomes the number one target again, but Pooka can still do a whole bunch of good things. He will still be heavily involved, and you still want to start.
Speaker 2: Him in fantasy. And you talk about Matthew Stafford supporting two wide receivers in LA with Cup and Robert Woods, you can go back even further. He did it in Detroit when he had Calvin Johnson and Golden Tate, and then after Calvin Johnson retired, he had Golden Tate and Marvin Jones and made both of those guys really successful. So we know that Matthew Stafford can support multiple pass catchers. This is a team that runs a lot of free wide receiver sets too, and I'm wondering who the odd man out is. I think at this point probably Van Jefferson. In those sets, it's it becomes a you know, Cooper Cup Pukakakua two two at well, which, by the way, a Cooper Puka two two lineup is a I mean, it's like a Disney Channel show. That's all I know. It's amazing. So I'm with you, though. I think Pooka come comes back and becomes a wide receiver two. But you're not putting him on your bench because he's just been too good at this point.
Speaker 3: Apparently the three of them, Puka, Cooper and Matt Stafford have been eating breakfast together.
Speaker 2: See, this is the This is the information we need to know. If we had known this a couple of years ago with Cooper Cup, he would have been like the number one overall pick. We didn't find out till later. Now we need to know this. Jamison Williams is eligible to return for the Lions. He was serving a suspension for violating the gambling policy. Now Dan Campbell has said that he is going to play a fairly limited role at least early on when he returns. We have expectations for Jamison Williams. We hope he can do well. We haven't really seen him play that much football his rookie year. He was injured most of the year, played six games at the end of the season, was injured all of this preseason, and then was suspended. I mean, would you feel confident putting him back in your lineup right away.
Speaker 3: No, it is no secret that I love Jamison Williams. I'm very high on him and I want him on as many fantasy teams as I can get him. But like you said, he's coming off the injury. He hasn't been with the team for a month. We don't know how healthy he is. He could be on a snap count, like they're saying, I want to take a wait and see approach. I think the upside is sky high. I keep saying it during draft season, like he brings league winning upside. But the beauty is you didn't have to draft him as a starter. You were drafting him as a backup anyway. So unless you're desperate because of buys or injuries, just leave him on your bench for now and kind of let's see him do it before you plug him in.
Speaker 2: Very much taking wait and see attitude with Jamison Williams, especially because the Lions offense is sort of rolling along nicely. I mean, I'm on Ross, Saint Brown is still doing his thing. Sam Laporta has been great, Josh Reynolds has been making plays in this passing game, and they still haven't exactly figured out how to completely integrate Jamiir Gibbs into what they're doing yet. So there's a lot of places for Jared Goff to go with the football. So I'm with you. I'm not just gonna jam Jamison Williams back into the lineup. I'm gonna wait a week or two see how the Lions are using him before I go on and make that decision. Gonna step away for a quick break. Stick around for more of the NFL Fantasy Football Show. Time nowt to jump.
Speaker 3: Into the Week five game previews.
Speaker 2: We have started the buys. This week. Four teams are on a bye. We got the Cleveland Browns, the Los Angeles Chargers, the Seattle Seahawks, and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers all taking the week off. Teams that are not taking the week off and getting things started. On Thursday, the Chicago Bears head to Washington or Maryland or the DMV somewhere in that part of the country and they're gonna take on the Washington Commanders. You can see that game at eight fifteen pm Eastern Time on Prime Video. The Bears still looking for their first one. I don't know if you've seen the meme. There's a meme going around it is, you know, has your team won a game since Elon Musk. I'm over Twitter and it has the logos of every North American pro sport major Pro Sports league team, and all of them are grouped in the well. Of course it happened in October twenty twenty two. And off to the side, all by themselves are the Chicago Bears in the no column because they have not won a game in a really long time. We're gonna get into winsor losses here, but we are gonna get into Dj Moore, who's playing some good football right now. So more or less seventy five receiving yards for Dj.
Speaker 3: Moore, I think he's gonna have more in this game. He's playing really good football, and last week we saw him kind of explode and he was putting up numbers before the Bears offense really started clicking. I think, justin fields, I still think better days are coming for him. I don't think last week was just a product of playing the Broncos. But Dj Moore right now on pace for a career high in receiving yards. I think that continues with more than seventy five this week.
Speaker 2: I think it continues with more than seventy five as well. The passing game for the Bears is pretty much Dj Moore and Cole Comet. I mean, that's been it for most of the season. And where once upon a time we sort of tried to avoid the Washington defense, this year they have been vulnerable. I mean, they have given up a ton of yards to wide receivers. They've given up six receiving touchdowns to the position, that's tied for most allowed in the NFL. So again, I'm with you. I don't think it was just the Broncos. Playing the Broncos help, but it's not just playing the Broncos that helped. Justin field, I think they're starting to turn a corner offensively, and I think you're gonna see Dj Moore have another nice game on the other side, more or less than zero point five receiving touchdowns for Terry mclauren. Claaren has one touchdown this year. It was on a fumble recovery in the end zone. So will he actually score a receiving touchdown this week?
Speaker 3: I'm hopeful. I'm hopeful that this is the week. And part of the reason I've been critical on Sam Howe, besides the fact that he has five interceptions in twenty four sacks through four games. Is that he's struggling to get Terry McLaurin and Johan Dotson the ball. And I think that this is one of the best young receiving groups in the NFL, and if you can't get them the ball, that's a problem. So I am hopeful that in this cakewalk of a matchup against the Chicago Bears, that they emphasize getting Terry going. I have a lot of Terry McLaurin, so I'm definitely in need of a touchdown.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think they get him one. I think they are really trying to emphasize getting him in the end zone, getting him going. There are a lot of places that are going with the ball though, because Johan Dotson's getting targets, Curtis Samuel starting to get work. Even Logan Thomas every once in a while is sort of working in there. But I do think for this offense to be successfu full long term, Terry McLaurin has to kick it into gear, and so I think this is a week that they can really emphasize trying to make that happen. Turn out to the Sunday Slate starting early morning in London. That game kicks off at nine to thirty am Eastern Time. You can see it on NFL Network and on NFL Plus. Jaguars at the Bills been a rough start for the Jaguars. Did we overhype Trevor Lawrence this year?
Speaker 3: I think so, and I'm as guilty as anyone. I thought he would be an MVP candidate this season and that has not been the case. So far this year, he's averaging fourteen and a half fantasy points per game and one touchdown per game. But this goes to last season as well. Per our great Joel Smith, in his last eight games since Week fifteen of last season, Lawrence is averaging thirteen Fantasy points per game QB twenty five in that span, behind Baker Mayfield, Josh Dobbs, and Daniel Jones.
Speaker 2: I think that's the thing that we sort of ignored. We saw the big comebacks, we saw the way the Jaguars were playing and winning games, were like, hey, man is going to be great, They're getting Calvin Ridley's going to be amazing, and we sort of overlooked the fact that when you broke down Trevor Lawrence's season on a week two week basis. It was kind of up and down, and there were more sort of meh weeks than there were great weeks for Trevor Lawrence, and so I think we sort of tried to push that aside and just think that at naturally everything progresses. So maybe we did get a little bit too high on Trevor Lawrence. I'm with you. I was very much in that camp as well. Maybe not MVP, but I was very big on him having a good good season Texans. At the Falcons, we talked about Bijon and him being the only Falcon worth starting. Are you willing to go back to Tank Dell after he sort of let you down in week four?
Speaker 3: I think I am at least, and I know some people out there might be like, oh this guy, look, he didn't give you much production at all last week. I'm getting away. But Nico Collins had a down game two weeks ago and a lot of you were like, I'm pulling him from my starting lineup? How'd that work out? One hundred and sixty eight yards and two touchdowns later. This is the thing. Wide receiver is a position with a lot of week to week. These guys are going to have the high highs and sometimes low lows. But he is on a Texans team that passes the ball a whole, bunches a shout. Is maybe the best rookie quarterback ever. He is playing out of his mind good right now. Second most passing yards through four games for a rookie that is, and he has not thrown an interception. I think you just you continue to roll with the top two wide receivers there.
Speaker 2: I think you do. And to your point, look outside of the Justin Jeffersons and Stefan Diggs's and you know, in a healthy Cooper Cup, aside from those guys, you are going to have the highs and lows. That is just the nature of the position, especially in fantasy. So give Tank Dell another shot. Don't just quit on him because he had one down week. It's going to be fine. There will be better weeks for Tank Dell. It's coming. Panthers at the Lions, Jamier Gibbs has not been what we wanted him to be. Is it time to put him on the bench?
Speaker 3: Unfortunately? I think so. Unless you know you're desperate because of injuries and buys and all that.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 3: Sometimes you don't have it better option. But Jamir Gibbs is playing really good when he gets the opportunity. On a per touch basis, he clears David Montgomery in almost every stat but it doesn't matter because David Montgomery's getting all the volume. He's getting the goal on work and against the Panthers, I think this is a game where the Lions are at home, they're going to have the lead, and when we saw last week when they're playing from ahead, it is David Montgomery times. So I question if Gibbs will even see the volume this week.
Speaker 2: I'm going to go semi contrary and say that you can start him as a flex this week, mostly because the Panther run defense has not been good. Now, this could again blow up in my face and it's David Montgomery scoring another three touchdowns on the ground, But the fact that the Panthers have struggled against the run gives me a little bit of hope that if they decide to give Gibbs some touches, that he can turn that into something. I think it's weird and frustrating that we got so excited because they're like, we're gonna use Jamiir Gibbs in ways you couldn't imagine, and I never thought that one of those ways would be like, you know, sideline cheerleader.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just not you. But I agree with you. I think if you do play him this week, you're hoping that he the big players are eventually gonna come. You're hoping that it starts now. Hopefully it starts now. Titans at the Colts. As we get back to our Week five game previews, we talked about Jonathan Taylor and if he does come back and play in Week five, is he a must start against a good Titans run defense. Yeah, one of the hardest matchups for a running back. But again, if he's playing for the Colts and there's no word of him being on a limit, especially with four teams on by and all the injuries to the running back position, I find it hard to believe that you have two options that you feel confident in starting over Jonathan Taylor.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I just again, if they're really gonna give him that kind of workload that they've been given to Zach Moss, I don't know how you don't start Jonathan Taylor. I don't care what the matchup is, if he's gonna get ninety percent of the snaps, he's gonna be in your lineup. Plus, if you drafted him, you have been holding onto him, sitting there for four weeks waiting to use him. What are you waiting for? Put him back in your lineup.
Speaker 3: I have a team with him, and I've already put both of them in there.
Speaker 2: No, it's just like slide them in right now and then if you gotta make a change on Sunday morning, and make the change on Sunday morning. Whatever. Giants at the Dolphins. I mean, look, we know the Dolphins you're starting. You're starting to You're starting Devon a Chan, probably Raheem Moster, Tyreek kal Jalen Watnall. They're starting a whole bunch of Dolphins.
Speaker 3: Their defense, their defense.
Speaker 2: Are you starting any giants?
Speaker 3: This sounds gross to say, but you don't have to love it. But I do think multiple giants are in play this week as a streaming option, Like I think Daniel Jones is a streaming option because they're gonna be trailing. He's gonna have to throw the ball a whole bunch. We've already seen he could put up points with his legs and then the Dolphins get pressured below league average rates, so hopefully he has time there to get the ball to Darren Waller, who I still think you could start as a tight end. And then Wandel Robinson. I think he is a deep a little bit of a deeper streaming option because he's just the number one go to wide receiver right now. I love that we have no b roll because there's no good highlights to show.
Speaker 2: I means, what are we going to show him? Just Daniel Jones running for his life and taking sacks and the throwing pick six is like, that's kind of it. Look, if Saquon Barkley plays, I think you can start Saquan. Will you kind of keep an eye on on his his ankle situation and whether or not he's going to be available this week. If he plays, I think you can start him. I'm with you on Wandale and he's a guy that I sort of have been liking and riding up as a sleeper the last couple of weeks just because they just want to get somebody the ball in space, and Wandale is that guy. I was trying it with Jalen Hyatt. They just Jalen Hyatt is sort of on the Marvin Mims plan where he just can't get on the field, and I don't really understand it because the Giants are bad, and so why wouldn't you try something else, anything else? But you know what, that's why I sit here and talk about fake football for a living. In Brian Daboles on the sideline with a headset throwing tablets, throw tablets at his quarterback. Good job, Saints at the Patriots. Mike Stommay got queasy thinking about the offense in this game. The Saints passing attack has not been great. Last week, Derek Carr was played despite a shoulder injury, and it showed in a lot of ways. It's hurting. It's hurting. Chris o'lave, it's hurting. Michael Thomas, what do you do about this Saints passing game in fantasy?
Speaker 3: I think it's well. Alvin Kamara is a mustard. And I know it's weird to talk about a running back when we're talking about the passing attack, but he was. He led them in every receiver. He had more points on catches than anything else in week. In his first game back, Chris o'lave had his work. He hit one catch for four yards last week, it's a Derek Carr problem. Derek Carr was clearly not healthy, but I still think you roll with him because the upside is far too high. It giving you at least fourteen and every game before that. Michael Thomas right now is outside the top forty wide receivers. Rashid Shaheed is as well. I actually think I would play Shaheed over Thomas because the upside is high. He just needs one long catch. But it's pretty much a lave or buss.
Speaker 2: It's just a lave for me at this point. It's funny because at one point in the game, I think Derek Carr went out, Jamis came in. He threw one pass, it was intercepted in the Saints are life. All Right, that's enough of that, so they went back to Derek Carr again. But it's it's kind of brutal in New Orleans when it comes to that passing game. Ravens and the Steelers. Speaking of brutal passing games, the Pittsburgh Steelers likely without can you Pickett for several weeks as he has a knee injury, so the Mitch is back? Which Steelers do you feel confident in starting with Mitch trubiskyit under.
Speaker 3: Center none zero zero, like you probably still't have to start George Pickens, and starting him is hoping for a long play in this one. We know that he's capable of taking a catch and breaking a tackle and going the distance, but if he doesn't do that, you might be looking at single digit fantasy points. Nause. Harris had his best game of the year last week, and he still got outscored by Jalen Warren. If I'm starting a Steelers running back, it's Jalen Warren. And it's sad to say right now, but I'm trying to avoid all all the Steelers if possible.
Speaker 2: I mean, Jalen Warren hasn't been great. I mean, you're right, he's been the better of the two backs. He hasn't been great. I think I can ride with Pickens simply because last year and Trubisky had to play, he actually had a decent connection with George Pickens. He was able to get the ball to Pickens and Deontay Johnson. We know there's no Deontay right now, so I think Pickens does have a little bit of value this week. But it's not pretty. It's ugly there. People are wondering whether or not Matt Canada has a Twitter burner at this point.
Speaker 3: That's how things are going in Pittsburgh right now.
Speaker 2: Not great, not great. That'll do it for this edition of the NFL Fantasy Football Show. Stay happy, safe and healthy, do good and live well. We're back tomorrow to preview the rest of the Week five matchups.