Speaker 1: Trust me? Do you trust me?
Speaker 2: Right? Ever? Lead you wastry? Trust?
Speaker 1: This is the truth, the only truth.
Speaker 3: If anybody ever tells you to just trust them, don't welcome to trust me. The podcast about Colt's extreme belief and manipulation from two horse girls who've actually experienced it. I'm low Lablanc and I'm Megan Elizabeth. This week we're joined by Jasper Hoffman, writer, podcaster, and former Mennonite. In part one, today, she's going to tell us about how her parents went from being a punk rock atheist and an anthropology major to homesteading and homeschooling, which eventually led them to church, first a non denominational one and then of course, a Mennonite church that came into town when Jasper.
Speaker 1: Was a kid.
Speaker 4: She'll tell us about how it then escalated to her family moving to the Midwest, getting rid of all their material possessions and committing wholeheartedly to being Mennonites with redacted encyclopedias and physical punishment in the basement for children who are considered rebellious, and why she was forbidden from going back.
Speaker 3: To school, and stay tuned next week for part two because she will tell us about leaving the church, but before we go to men and I was going to try to make that a thing before we go to into the Medonit world with her, Megan, what's your cult het thing?
Speaker 4: Well, as you might know, there's a guy named Samuel Bateman who started as called sure Is and he was sentenced to fifty years in prison, which is incredible. We've been following the story through your mom. We've had Gnomes on the podcast, we have mckel coming up on the podcast. Lots of people who have escaped from this man's grip. And I've been watching court TV of him representing himself.
Speaker 1: Can you say Ted Bundy, Oh my god. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Something I learned this weekend was that so called sovereign citizens represent themselves in court because they don't recognize the government and they don't recognize lawyers as like legitimate and Sam apparently because I was watching this with my this presentation with my mom, she was whispering to me saying, that's why Sam represented himself because he subscribes to this idea.
Speaker 1: Stop.
Speaker 4: Well, he did a really bad job, thank god. And it's just so number one, he's like really turning on this Michelle Dugger voice, so he's almost talking like a woman now, Like he's trying to be super sweet, so you know, he like like the sweetest sweet as sweet could ever be is his new cadence, and he's impossible to understand.
Speaker 1: You can't.
Speaker 4: He cannot make a clear point to save his life. He thinks this is all about like the girls being in the tractor trailer. The trailer, I guess I'm not attractor trailer, and like he keeps being like, I didn't know they were in there, and it's like, that's not the problem. You did know they were in there, but that's not actually what any of us really care about. Yeah, it's just always fascinating to watch these people really think that they are smarter than the average bear.
Speaker 1: Yes, I know, please please keep that in.
Speaker 4: So I I'm so glad he got served way more than the fifty years, because then there's all these other child endangerment clauses, whatever the fuck it's called. I'm not a lawyer, and I know that, so you know, he's going to jail for a long time. It's so satisfying and more to come on this story, Yes, definitely, And it's been really fun to see all the women at his child together in cahoots, you know, like cheering each other on, like yeah.
Speaker 3: What a nice ending to a very otherwise very alarming story.
Speaker 4: I know. I mean they're just like making direct eye contact and being like, yep, you're an asshole.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I know. It's so sick. It's so awesome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, God, it's the earth is healing.
Speaker 1: What about you? What's your cultios thing?
Speaker 3: I went to my first cult conference, which I'm so sad you weren't able to attend, I know, but been meaning to go to this for years. So IXA is the International Cultic Studies Association, and every year they have a conference. It's in a different city every year. It was like Manchester a few years ago, so I definitely didn't go to that one because what am I made of money? But this year it was in San Diego, which is just a couple hours south of us in LA and so I was able to go and met my mom there and saw so many of our former guests, which was so cool because some of them I've only ever seen in the little square on the on the screen, I know.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I got to go to some presentations there, some really interesting ones. There was this guy Dave Buddha who did one that that was just like a fascinating premise, which is he called it planned obsolescence in personal growth.
Speaker 1: Okay, this idea that.
Speaker 3: Like, you go to these larger group awareness trainings like a Tony Robbins or whatever, a landmark, and you are sort of sold this idea that you're going to have a permanently altered state of your life after that, when in reality, there's a very knowingly, a very temporary and fleeting emotional state being induced in you in these weekends. Yes, and the goal is to get you to try to keep chasing that feeling with the belief that it's going to be eventually permanent. But instead it's actually like they are well aware that it's typically not. I mean, of course, there are some people whose lives are changed forever, but for the most part, and he was, you know, kind of describing how it's a bell curve and most people are in the middle, and of course there's people on either end of the you know, extremes, but generally, you go, you feel something, you go back to your life, you don't feel it anymore, right, And so just the idea of planned obsolescence, which for the folks who don't know that term. That's kind of like this idea that let's say your iPhone or whatever technological product, whatever product you have, is designed to not last forever because if it eventually breaks.
Speaker 1: Down, you do have to buy another one.
Speaker 3: And I just thought that was a really cool concept to apply to like self help seminars.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I relate to this a lot, and that the two by two is the cult that I grew up in. We would have these conventions that were like four day long, pretty intense seminars, you could say, and afterwards you would feel, in my experience, would almost bring all of our parents because I'm looking at this from my head into like an OCD state of mind where it's.
Speaker 1: Like fresh slate, clean slate. We've got to be perfect from here on out, you know. And then it would just be like.
Speaker 4: Slowly, slowly, you'd start to make human mistakes and then pray.
Speaker 1: It would it be like.
Speaker 4: Ramped up for next year's convention where you felt so guilty for not being perfect, and everyone would pray, Like people would literally pray that they would die on their way home from convention.
Speaker 1: So that they would be clean.
Speaker 5: Ah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's all in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think like, you know, it just pretty typical, this idea that there's some state of perfection you're going to achieve, when, of course, we are human. We are human beings. Yeah, we're human beings. And I did say beans. I just want to clarify that was intentional. I was being cute. Sorry, I don't think it's.
Speaker 1: I was like, totally, we are we're human beings.
Speaker 4: Although I will say that Tony Robbins conference did permanently jage my life, but not for reasons about him. I just left it early and came home and caught my boyfriend doing that.
Speaker 2: Jesus Christ.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know if we can attribute that to that. No, but I did leave. Oh so look at that. I was like holding the notebook.
Speaker 4: I was holding the notebook, the Tony Robbins notebook that I'd filled out, and I was like, I'm leaving you.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Anyway, what a perfect breakup story, Tony, call me shout out.
Speaker 1: Anyway. That was just one of many.
Speaker 3: There was another one on how cold you know, how many of them replicate their coercive dynamics even after the leader dies. You know, there's just a lot of interesting stuff, and so folks check out, it's if you feel so inclined. Sounds like some future topics for us to discuss. But for now, Cindy, shall we talk to Jasper? Let's do it. Welcome Jasper Hoffman to trust me. Thank you so much for being with us.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited to be here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so much to talk to you about.
Speaker 3: First of all, you host a podcast called The Plain People's Podcast, and the reason that you host this podcast is because of your own upbringing. First of all, what does plane people refer to?
Speaker 5: Good question, because a lot of people mistake it for the planes people because they think it's people that are out on the planes and it's not.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 5: Plain people is a term that's very commonly used within the church and then outside of the church to describe members of the conservative Anabaptist churches. So that would be conservative Amish, Mennonite Brethren, a little bit of maybe like the Hutterites.
Speaker 2: But yes, so the plain people.
Speaker 5: It ties into wanting to be separate from the world, so they want to be viewed as plain and simple. So the plain People's just a nice little umbrella term to kind of include all those churches.
Speaker 1: Do they talk to each other?
Speaker 3: Like in my head the Amish people don't like Mennonite, you know what I mean, thinking like of a.
Speaker 4: Like West Side Story kind of thing where they hate each other, but they sound like they kind of have a lot in common.
Speaker 2: They do.
Speaker 5: I will say that any cult or any church is a lot like lasagna, where it's pretty much all the same ingredients, but everybody has their own little unique flavoring and everyone thinks that they are the winner.
Speaker 1: Of the pot luck for sure.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so they do talk to each other, and it's very common to for churches, like if you'll leave Amish, then they'll go to Mennonite, or some Menonite will.
Speaker 2: End up going Amish.
Speaker 5: And then there's kind of to make it even more confusing, you have Amish Menonites. Oh so you just kind of have every branch that you could possibly want to go into.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, wow, yeah I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm so curious about the ins and outs of the different ones, But firstly, let's start with the one you're in. Also, something so fascinating by your story is that you were not born into it. You your parents converted. So what was going on with your parents before this happened? How did this transition happen.
Speaker 2: It's funny.
Speaker 5: I had a conversation with my mom at breakfast over this because she was like, did you tell anybody like this portion of it? I was like, no, that's your story. So I try to keep their stuff for their own telling. But ultimately as an adult now I'm in my forties, and it changes the perspective of looking at your family joining a cult versus when you're in the experience. So I look at them as individuals, not only as my parents, and I really think that what was happening. Obviously, we didn't have social media back in the you know, up until recently, so it was more difficult to connect with people that had common lifestyle goals as you and My mom grew up in Hollywood, she went to private French school. She grew up in Rolling Hills, so she went to school with Jodie Foster Christie Brinkley. So it's like, not how you would think would want to start quilting. Yeahs opposite world, Yeah, okay, totally.
Speaker 2: And she was a punk rocker, so wow.
Speaker 5: I was really into alternative living, which kind of makes sense when you think about joining into a cult, because it too is alternative living and it's just not going mainstream.
Speaker 2: So I think there was.
Speaker 5: Always that with that attraction there for something that was like a little bit unique and different. And my parents met in college in northern California, in Humboldt County at HSU, and my dad was an anthropology major my mom was studying history, so they were very fascinated with culture also, and they ended up getting married and lived in southern California, where I was born, and by the time I was three, they realized they didn't want to raise me in the city, and so they moved back up to Humboldt. And if anybody knows anything about humbold County, it is hippies, lots of weed, and very alternative, off the grid living. And so it should come as no surprise that in the early late eighties early nineties there was this very large movement which we see today with the tradwife movement, but there wasn't social media to really drive that and to curate that, so instead it was a lot of homesteadying and a lot of people that were pulling their children out of public school to homeschool them, way before it became accepted like it is today.
Speaker 2: So I was a product of that. So I went to public school through third grade, and at that time there was some changes in the family dynamic.
Speaker 5: My grandfather passed away, and so my mom, who was a self proclaimed atheist punk rocker, made a promise to her father that she would take me to church. He was devout Catholic, and so she started attending a non denominational church with me. And at this point I was nine years old, so I was in third grade, and through this non denominational church, we were introduced to the homeschool group that was there, and it was large. I mean we had several families, so the variety was there. Whether it was somebody that was secular that just was anti government, or it was this fundamentalist movement with conservative Christians. So it was kind of like you could fall into the spectrum, and so it was very welcoming for my parents. I feel like, at that time.
Speaker 3: What is a homeschool group, Like, it's just a smaller version of school. Then at that point, right, how does it work exactly? I was homeschool for part of my schooling as well.
Speaker 5: It was very organized, so we had a secretary, we had somebody that was curating different field trips, we had lots of learning experiences.
Speaker 2: The families really connected and got together. So yes, in a way, we were not all studying together, right, So we were within the home doing our own schooling and had our own curriculum based off of a family's needs, which is what ties into how we were introduced to Mennonites. But for community and connection, there was a lot of support whenever it came to doing field trips, into doing I see a lot of things. So you weren't just isolated kind of on your own, right, right, right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: I will say I remember like playing a softball team in high school that was the homeschool team, and I was like, this is gonna be a piece of cake, and they like beat our asses. A very organized system. The practicing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in high school, I was in the I was in a homeschool program in Burbank in LA. But it was like a lot of like actor kids, So it wasn't it wasn't like that organized.
Speaker 1: And I went to homeschool prom and it was the worst. It was so bad. Nobody knew each other. It was so awkward.
Speaker 4: Were you voted homeschool prom queen? Of course not left early.
Speaker 3: I was like I feel so alone anyway, so I feel you okay, So well, I'm just so curious of how it felt to be a third grader with these parents who are seemingly so cool, and then all of a sudden they're like, wait, we're doing this now, Like what were you thinking and feeling?
Speaker 5: I liken it a lot to just being bore, like a lobster. So you have no idea really what you're getting into with this.
Speaker 2: And I was sick. I was nine. All I wanted to do was ride horses and not have to sit in school. So to me, they did. They did ask me.
Speaker 5: My parents did ask me if I would be interested in being homeschool So I did have some autonomy at that point and a voice, I feel like, and so at that time it sounded fun. So initially it was great. And the only thing was is I just remember there being a lot of contention in the home because my parents are artsy fartsy, and all of a sudden we're trying to learn math and having somebody, you know, everybody hates math and the family, and so I just remember it being a lot of arguing over like science and anything that just didn't come naturally.
Speaker 2: For us, and it was difficult, so through that homeschool group, though at the time there were not a lot of supporting textbook companies, so we had Abecca Christian Light Publications. There was a few other that were coming.
Speaker 5: Like from Bill Gothard, more fundy type of things than Brooklets.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly so.
Speaker 5: And the nice thing about, I guess homeschooling is that you can kind of pick and choose your curriculum based off of how you want to teach your children. So one of the textbooks companies was coming out of Crocket, Kentucky, and they are called Roden Staff and they produced the text most of the textbooks used in Amish and Mennonite schools, and a lot of homeschool families like how simple it is to teach out of the Rowden Staff books.
Speaker 2: They make it very easy.
Speaker 5: So a lot of the families were sourcing their books from Roden Staff, to the point where Roden Staff had reached out to the secretary of the homeschool group to see why, because obviously there wasn't a church out there, and so they were trying to get a little bit of a feel for the area, and so they had asked if they sent missionaries there to do a Revival week long service of Mennonite.
Speaker 2: Would there be interest?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: Oh, so there was? And my parents were like, I'll never forget. My mom was like, oh my god, those are the people that make the quilts. Yes, So we ended up hosting a family. They sent missionaries down from Alberta, Canada and up from Farming to New Mexico.
Speaker 1: What does Revival week mean? Really quick? What does that mean?
Speaker 2: So? Really?
Speaker 5: Like from what I remember being that age, it was pretty much church service, every evening evening service. And I think they were just gauging what the opportunities were and what the interests were, if if it was worth sending and establishing a pop up church there, which there was, so they did.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 5: My parents are one of the founding families to bring Mennonights to California.
Speaker 1: Pute a claim debate.
Speaker 4: So these revival people come and they're bringing their books and there are things, and you're going to church every night, which ps sounds like my worst nightmare. And you are like this seems weird or cool or interesting or I think at.
Speaker 2: That time, well, I mean to be fair.
Speaker 5: The week prior to that, I had a horse that kicked me in my face, and so I had a hole.
Speaker 4: Oh my goodness, that's important to note. So you're in a weird state of mind.
Speaker 5: And literally yes, So I literally was like had to miss some of the revival because I was just like laid up with my face like completely just massacred.
Speaker 2: So there was that going on. But I remember just being intrigued. I mean, it doesn't I was nine, yeah, you know, and I'm going with other children that were in the homeschool group, so it didn't seem like I was really at odds. And so I just really don't think that I had a full understanding of what was going to be required of me. Yeah, and there is.
Speaker 5: It's the love bombing phase of any church, I believe, and any abusive relationship where everything just looks so pretty on the outside. And to boot, they have amazing food. So you've got great, great food you have you know, everything is like just very warm and comforting and it feels fun.
Speaker 2: And it provided a lot of.
Speaker 5: Structure for families in the area that had a lot of dysfunction within because I think naturally people are drawn to these authoritarian, high control, high demand religion because I mean, you guys know, there's something internally. That's like not being met a need, and people don't know how to source that from within, so they're looking for a guidebook. So typically people that were joining in were coming from very financially irresponsible families, people with a lot of dysfunction, mental illness, abusive homes, alcoholics, you know, any addicts. They're just naturally kind of flocking to this structure, especially conservative churches, because they have a guidebook telling you what to where.
Speaker 1: Yeah, here's your framework for a life, totally.
Speaker 2: Literally, so it takes all that guessing out of it, and the responsibility too if things go wrong.
Speaker 3: Right, So, Amish people do not use electricity? What about Mennonites or like, explain that, because I feel like it's going to be a question.
Speaker 2: It's really not black or white, because why make it easy.
Speaker 5: So a lot of Amish do have electricity and phones and technology. Not all do, okay, okay, not all Mennonites do, okay, okay. So you have some Mennonites that are even more conservative than Amish. And interestingly enough like the work that I do now because I'm actively working within conservative church churches and especially I've been in Ohio for the last two and a half years working in Old Order Amish communities, and they are all in agreement that I grew up more conservative than they are currently as Old Order.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 5: Oh wow, yeah, So just because it's Mennonite doesn't mean like it's the one hundred calorie pack snack pack of the Anabaptists.
Speaker 2: Like it still is in some ways more conservative. Right.
Speaker 3: So I'm picturing like like, oh, there's a revival week, We're gonna all play what's the word that I want?
Speaker 1: Little House on the Prairie.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, it's cause playing little House on the Prairie. Yeah yeah, But don't we see that today with the childwife movement?
Speaker 1: Certainly?
Speaker 2: Right, right, right, it's the same stuff.
Speaker 5: It's just you're not putting it online for people to, you know, and promoting it and getting discount codes on protein powder.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: I saw my mom my whole life and like very long dresses, the hair up. We were often mistaken for Mennonites. Actually, people would think that we were a lot. But I can't imagine having a mom who was punk rock, who changed.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, what an arc? What was that evolvement? What did it look like?
Speaker 2: It was? It was gradual.
Speaker 5: So my mom was always really into vintage clothes from so she's shot vintage in Hollywood before it was cool.
Speaker 1: The vintage clothing pipeline.
Speaker 2: So she always dressed a little.
Speaker 5: She was never in pants ever, but it was always really cute, like cool things from the fifties, you know, forties, fifties. So to see her just kind of naturally go into like wearing jumpers and.
Speaker 2: Things made sense. It wasn't so extreme.
Speaker 5: And I think I also have a hard time separating like my own experience, to think about what it was like to watch my mom, because I know for me what was the most difficult was slowly having to lose my identity at that age by things, you know, so like my clothes were slowly I was not allowed to start purchasing pants, and I always hated dresses. I was such a tomboy, and so it was like the slow progression of like losing access to TV.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we still really maintained because it was a mission church and it was a little bit more liberal than the one I ended up in later on. I think there was a lot of leniency towards us as we were looking at joining into the church. They weren't. It wasn't like we were coming into something established.
Speaker 5: Right where I mean the majority of people that were attending were not met at night.
Speaker 2: They were interested in joining in, So there was like not the strictness that you I found later on. Right.
Speaker 4: It's always leniency when you're love bombing people, that's it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But then I look back.
Speaker 5: I look back with a lot of empathy though, on the first family that came to California, thinking about how overwhelming that must have been for them, coming from growing up in the church and then suddenly having to sell their dairy, sell everything, and then end up in northern California with thirty families constantly at their house that are so dysfunctional, wanting their lives to be fixed by this one family.
Speaker 2: I mean, the amount of pressure that that must have been on them.
Speaker 5: It was a lot, because I know some of the families that were there were really really messed up in a lot of ways, and they look to the church to save them in a way, and the church being two families.
Speaker 3: Okay, there's a revival week and you're going and your parents are like, actually, we like this, Actually, we like this so much, we're going to try to start this church here. So how did that transition happen into like we are full time Mennonites, because that's a big leap, you know, half.
Speaker 1: Time to fall time, part time to fault time. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So that was a course of about three years, I would say, of gradually kind of becoming more and more established. But what my parents realized is that they wanted to go to a more established church. My parents really, in comparison to a lot of the other families, really had their shit together. They were financially really smart, they were pretty level headed with a lot of things. We weren't meeting a lot from like the Mennonite families to provide support, and so I think they realized they wanted to go to something that kind of met them.
Speaker 2: Where they were at.
Speaker 5: So that looked like moving sight unseen to the Midwest, which was very difficult for me. That's when things started to get really hard around the time I was fourteen.
Speaker 2: So there's a church directory for all the churches, and you can look it up and it will tell you all of the members that are in a particular church, who the bishop, minister, everything, their children, who they've married, and phone numbers. So we began my parents began looking for.
Speaker 5: Property that was conducive to all of their goals as far as home steadying, and they found an area here and stud Illinois, and it just so happened that there was an established church with a school, but it was a more conservative Mennonite church, so it was kind of like a step up.
Speaker 1: That's not till you're fourteen, though, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So there's a chunk of time where you're living a men in Night lifestyle in northern California and it's not this like super conservative vision yet correct.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I feel like it's like still kind of I was having fun. I had my girlfriends and we were riding horses, and I was still being homeschool.
Speaker 2: I didn't go to Menonight school.
Speaker 1: It was menon night Light. Yes, men in light, Men and Light. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I heard you tell a story on a podcast about you coming home and your belongings were gone? Yeah, when did that happen? And can you tell us that story?
Speaker 5: That's really like when we're starting to move, because they've made a decision that we're moving, and at that time, like I was volunteering at a local vet clinic because I was always very interested in animal science and horses and I wanted to be a vet. So this is where things started to kind of rift because I knew that I wanted to pursue some sort of higher education that I was not going to.
Speaker 2: Get in the Mennonites at all.
Speaker 5: And so around that time when they decided to move, that's when I was coming came home and you know, everything's gone pretty much like we don't have a TV anymore, and we're not listening to musical instruments and we're making the shift. And then when we moved, that's when everything was really perched because we were not taking anything with us. Oh wow, like my grandfather's player piano was and that was like my last piece of like connection to what I wanted. You know, I wanted to learn how to play the piano and that was taken and that was really, I think, really hard.
Speaker 1: That's awful.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like everything you have an emotional attachment to or that it's like part of your identity is just like gone.
Speaker 2: It's gone.
Speaker 4: If I would come home from whatever I homeschool were church, I guess you don't come home from homeschool.
Speaker 1: From playing with your friends, from beating people at softball.
Speaker 4: And like all my books had been gone as a child, I would have gone feral insane, like absolutely would never recover.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, what's the expectation of, like what you do with your days? Then?
Speaker 5: After that, so the whole focus then shifts to learning how to be a keeper at home, And that was always really kind of like there right, the subtleties.
Speaker 2: The difference was is that I never molded into the good keeper at home gentle spirit girl, because all I wanted to do was be outside.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, that was it.
Speaker 5: And so I very much rebelled and was able to rebel a little bit with that and still kind of get away with it and ride. But when we started packing up to move, I had no choice in the say, and had a lot of trepidation. I remember, and yet you're stuck, like when you're fourteen, you can't get out of that.
Speaker 2: You're just a product.
Speaker 5: You just got a it's awful feeling that helpless.
Speaker 2: Up until that point, I feel like it was just a gradual well.
Speaker 5: We're just not going to turn the TV on or we're not going to you know, listen to our music anymore. But the reality really sunk in and there's no coming back from that too.
Speaker 3: Wow, So you land in this new area, in this new church and new menonit. School life state, Yeah, what's the new lifestyle then, what's happening every day?
Speaker 2: Well, so at that point we moved in August, two weeks before I started meda night school for the very first time, which was ninth grade.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm like a seven layer dip of education because at this point I've been public school, I've been homeschooled, and now.
Speaker 2: I'm going to Mennonite school.
Speaker 5: And the adjustment for that is really hard because I'm, you know, going back into a school setting and all of this church is established.
Speaker 2: You know, the girls my age, they've all grown up together.
Speaker 5: They've never had somebody come in from the outside like at their age. They had sent me letters prior to moving, welcoming me saying they were excited like I had. All these girls that were reaching out. So that made me feel a little bit more comfortable, like they'd sent me photos of what they looked like. And so we moved in and I started school two weeks later, and it was a really large learning group for me. I was the only girl in ninth grade and there were only two of us in ninth grade.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, who so there's another The boy, Yeah, there's a.
Speaker 2: Boy was not very welcoming and so Medda Night School is different where they have the upper graders in one classroom together with the lower grade, and then depending on the side, sometimes they'll have like the middle grade, like sixth and seventh, but this one we had seventh through tenth altogether in our classroom. And in Illinois they go state by state.
Speaker 5: They abide state by state laws as far as the age of how long they can stay in school. So in the state of Illinois, it was sixteen or tenth grade. So that's as high as the school went. Oh wow, Like, I'll never forget walking into the library. The encyclopedias were missing pages, they were glued together, they were blacked out with mark or anything that had to do with science, psychology, things that I had been raised around. And so it started right out the gate like feeling very, very, a lot more serious and a much larger opt in in order to be here.
Speaker 3: So they wouldn't be a science textbook, So what textbook would they be blacking out?
Speaker 5: Even Well, they had the textbooks, but they were from Roden Staff, remember, so everything was church proved, but it was the encyclopedia.
Speaker 2: Anything that had yes that came from outside information.
Speaker 4: Oh my, imagine being your job to go through an encyclopedia and blackout that.
Speaker 1: That makes me don't learn that?
Speaker 3: But yeah, oh my god, you're like, sell, Oh I see something about molecules, that's the devil.
Speaker 2: Yeah crazy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was hard, Like it was immediately as soon as we got here. It was a whole different ballgame of seriousness. I feel like in expectations on me, which up until that point I had not And that's difficult to move at that age to begin with, and then all of a sudden have to be forced into compliance and changing. We obviously moved into a more conservative church, so there were rules and it was like I had to abide by them. It was a really difficult learning curve, and I was in trouble a lot.
Speaker 1: With the me too.
Speaker 3: So you guys are more than me. I was so scared of authority, but.
Speaker 2: I was too. What the thing was is like I didn't know what the authority was innostantly like messing up, and then there's all this pressure because you're coming into it. It's like the Lord of the flies.
Speaker 5: Yeah, where you know you or I was a huge threat because it came from the unknown territory of the world.
Speaker 4: That I will say that there is this stage too that I've witnessed. Maybe you'll agree, maybe you won't, But like when a family joins a higher control group, at first their love bumed right, and then once they do join it, the expectations on them are suddenly higher than other families, and.
Speaker 1: You're required to like extra proove yourself.
Speaker 4: So you've gone from like them, being very you know, oh it's okay if you do that, like your transitioning, you're learning to like suddenly you're this example to the people inside of people from the world joining and you have to be extraordinary.
Speaker 1: I feel like I saw that even in Mormon Church too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I don't know if you thought it was your experience, but it is.
Speaker 2: And I see that like podcasting too. It's like one of the ways that people from the inside of the church will try to diminish what my experience was is by saying that.
Speaker 5: I wasn't born Menonite, so I'm not really Mennonite, and I didn't experience what it was like to be Menonite.
Speaker 2: And I like to remind them that anybody that joins into these actually has a much harder life because you are always proving your worthiness for citizenship.
Speaker 5: It's pretty much, you know, trying to come into a foreign country and learn the language and learn all of the nuances of the culture and then having to prove always that you were worthy of citizenship. So it is they're even more difficult on people that join in and the pressure also then if you have parents that haven't learned how to self regulate, and they're joining into these cultures anyway, they don't have a cut off switch and valve of like I don't need to prove myself like I've done enough, I'm in church compliance.
Speaker 2: There is still a.
Speaker 5: Need to feel worthy and approved and needed, and so that doesn't change when they join into these cultures. What it does is then it fuels them into going more and more and more conservative because they're still trying to earn approval from some sort of authority.
Speaker 2: We've just switched out the parent role to now the church being the parent. Right, So it's very common for families to stay at a church for a little bit, and then they'll go to a more conservative one, and then a more conservative one, and before you know it, they don't have cars and they don't have paneling on the walls. And that's I've just seen that pipeline. It started with the punk rockers and the pitch.
Speaker 4: Just yeah, crazy. Did the Mondon Nights do they live on compounds? I can't remember, Like the Amash do they live together or.
Speaker 2: So they don't, but they live close by.
Speaker 5: And really from the Homish perspective, it makes sense because of transportation, right, so they cannot drive cars.
Speaker 2: They can own cars, but they can't drive them. That's the loopholes.
Speaker 5: So if you have a if you have a child that doesn't isn't a church member yet, they can drive you in your family car.
Speaker 2: Oh man, So they will live close.
Speaker 5: By just for the proximity and the ease and then manna nights. We live around each other, but not necessarily on accountpound Did your family drive? Yes, we had vehicles only church approved and church approved colors.
Speaker 3: The colors beige, black. That's like a cool color. I know I was expecting.
Speaker 2: I don't know, right, Yeah, so you can have black, navy and some more subdued plain colors.
Speaker 1: You can't show up in a bright yellow now or red like.
Speaker 2: God for red.
Speaker 5: And you had to have church approved cars in vehicles.
Speaker 2: The tire had to be church approved. You couldn't have any chrome. You had to cut off your antenna.
Speaker 4: Oh same we If we didn't cut off our antennas, the workers would snap it because that's the radio.
Speaker 1: Oh oh my god. Wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you don't want people to know that you could be possibly listening to the radio and that it would cause somebody to go.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I forgot about the antennas, you guys, I forgot what they what purpose they served?
Speaker 1: Everyone has. So when you're in.
Speaker 3: School, your daily activities or are they just like okay and now we're washing the clothes and we're baking the pies and like what was expected of you?
Speaker 2: No, we actually had curriculum, and in some ways I liked it because it's like our math class was. I mean, they talk you how to do taxes and balance a checkbook, and I feel like.
Speaker 1: It's amazing.
Speaker 2: Oh there are a lot of great things that you can learn in the school. But yeah, No, it was very, very very regulated, regimented.
Speaker 5: And we also obviously had to recite Bible versus and write things.
Speaker 2: So there was the spiritual component as well. But no, I mean it was it was a very structured school for sure, and we had recess. We were for a time being allowed to play co ed softball. Volleyball, I know, it's always volleyball is controversial, you know. Yeah, it's like it's I don't know why. It's like the gateway to sinning.
Speaker 4: Well, because because they know you're going to head to the beach someday and do it. They know that that volleyball, you're going to say I want to play on the beach in a swim suit and then somebody's going to be in my swimming suit. Sure, very common to Roderick as well. What do we do? They want to play volleyball?
Speaker 3: Okay, so the school is has some some things that are it's like not, no, I should go to the school teach me how to do my tex Yeah I need to. But in terms of like the expectation of you as a teenage girl and what your future is going to look like, like what is the track that you're expected to be on?
Speaker 5: Right, So it's it's just very I mean, obviously we're being trained to be housewives. So like you would look at your math and it would be like your math questions were all about like cutting recipes or adding you know, to different.
Speaker 2: Things which are phenomenal. I still use that today. So everything was very geared towards like what your career path was, and then just making sure that you were like I learned how to type.
Speaker 5: We had typing class because correspondence within the Mennonite communities is huge.
Speaker 2: Everybody always is doing letters.
Speaker 5: And so when we had art and it wasn't awful, like we obviously all cleaned the schoolroom once and the girls had the job of like cleaning the bathrooms and the baseboards and everything, and it was very much a community thing and that was expected and probably it's child labor, but also that was your skills, right, so you kind of chipped in as a community and work together to maintain your environment, which is a big part of the community still how they are. The thing was is that there was a lot of discipline that was happening also in the school, and so there was the basement and you would hear children being beaten if they were out of line, and that was hard, and so you just tried to stay out of the basement and stay in compliance with what was expected of you.
Speaker 1: What kinds of things would get you sent to the basement.
Speaker 2: My brother got in trouble for there was a school meeting called because he was using slang and he was saying, you guys seeing the work, guys is so a lot of vernacular.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: If you were not listening to the rules, you just had to be very very obedient. You could not question anything, and you know, no loing obviously or being distracted. But yeah, they knew what was expected of them too, so they tried to really maintain the discipline in the school that they would have at home too.
Speaker 4: Right were you ever taken to the basement?
Speaker 2: I was not. I was too old for that. But I wasn't allowed to come back to school the following year.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, so yes I was.
Speaker 2: I was not.
Speaker 5: They did not want me to come back. They had too many problems with me. So I only I finished my education in ninth grade.
Speaker 2: But that was pretty much it for me.
Speaker 3: Wow, what did why? Because you were questioning too much? Like why were you not allowed to come back?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think so. And I was too too familiar with the boys. I was too friendly.
Speaker 1: Oh that would be my problem.
Speaker 4: I was just going to ask you, and I was like, because I'm just picturing myself as a fourteen year old girl and like, were there cute boys here, because that would have made a different for me.
Speaker 3: Okay, I mean what I thought, we're cute.
Speaker 5: It's still funny because still to this day, I'm like, I just like a Mennonite looking guy, and my friends all was like, really, like, I just love a clean cut guy that looks a little culty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I understand, I understand.
Speaker 4: Okay, so you're like a little too familiar, like chatty kathy with them and you're not supposed to.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: There were people in my church who thought I was a bad influence when I did absolutely nothing wrong ever, but just because I would like talk to boys too much and we're cute outfits.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was caught writing notes to boys and it was but it was like I was fourteen and I it wasn't anything bad, but it was just like that was the only way that you communicating. And I'm like, I wanted to be friends with the boys just as much as the girls. The boys were more interested in what I was interested in. I didn't want to talk about like sewing. I wanted to talk about farming.
Speaker 2: So I was caught writing notes and I wouldn't stop writing notes that's iconic.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, okay, you're done learning.
Speaker 2: To many Yeah you could write too, well, absolutely not your that's crazy.
Speaker 1: So what did that feel like then? If you're not allowed to go back to school?
Speaker 2: I think, like really like there was just a combination of a lot going on at that time, because I had also applied for membership, because the girls were at that time, and there was there's such a peer pressure to you know, at the time when you were wearing your hair down and braids. I just wore one braid, which was also the rebellious thing, instead of wearing two braids. But I wore one braid, and all of a sudden, all of your peers at revival so they'll have fall revival service. And so the girls were one by one, like.
Speaker 5: Starting to wear head coverings because they were standing up to become Christian and then applying for membership, and so I succumb to that because you know, what do you do. I wanted to fit in, I wanted to be accepted, so I did that as well. And then the amount of pressure then when you're in instruction class, which is very similar to Catholicism, where you take instruction class for a year before you're baptized, and now all of a sudden, if you're coming into the church, there's even more scrutiny on you and there's more pressure improving. So I was just trying to really at that point, from that age on, to fit in, and the microscope was on me even more so when I didn't get asked back to school.
Speaker 2: There was also other things going on, and it's performance driven. You know that it's you. I mean it's not, but the church makes it feel like it's you. And so you're proving proving that I'm worthy, I'm worthy, I'm.
Speaker 5: Worthy, and there's a lot of great area and they'll move the carrot around quite a bit for you.
Speaker 2: So it's psychological torture.
Speaker 5: And then on top of it, then to find out that you're not allowed to come back to school and when you're trying to fit in with your peers is mortifying, yeah.
Speaker 2: And very humiliating, which is why they do it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So it was just another form of psychological manipulation and it really was not great for my mental health. But then there was this side of like, you know, well, I guess I'll help my mom and try to become like the best housewife possible in training.
Speaker 3: So you're still you're still bought in, Like you still like think this is the correct lifestyle.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, but at this point, like I bought it hook line and sinker, right, And so it was just I was literally immersed in it and was trying to be the best Mennonite possible. There was never any point where I was like this is blowney, right, And I have my journals.
Speaker 2: I was so pious, y'all. Like I was so nauseatingly Like I have one entry where I was like sitting in the airport and I was just like these people I was praying for them, like my journal, like they were you know, these women were working and traveling for work. I hoped that God would intervene.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, but a tweet of you and your and your own way.
Speaker 1: Yeah care about trying, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah I did. I did so Yeah, So I was.
Speaker 5: I was never rebellious in the fact where that's what was so difficult, where I was like, it wasn't like I was sticking my feet in the mud and saying no f this, like and then could get in trouble with the ministry.
Speaker 2: I was trying so hard and they were never approving of money. That sucks, Yeah, it does. It's hard.
Speaker 3: Were you sad about like the loss of the dream of becoming a vet at that point? That wasn't something that was on the table for you, right correct.
Speaker 5: What I ended up doing was just shifting my focus so much on becoming the perfect night girl so I.
Speaker 2: Would marry well.
Speaker 5: So it was like that was my next like goalpost, and I still really like I. I ended up getting a horse around the time that I was kicked out of school, and that was also a source of contention because the girls didn't have horses, like they were not allowed to.
Speaker 2: The boys could, but the girls couldn't.
Speaker 5: But there was nothing in the standard book that said that the girls could not have horses. So then it became this trying to find ways to make me look like I was defying the standard Book in order to back up their claims of like why they didn't want me to have this horse. And that was something that I did really sink my feet in, and I was like, I'm not giving up on this, like I can, I should be able to do this. I bought this with my own money, like I worked the hard. Let the horse girl have her horse.
Speaker 2: Ye, let me do it.
Speaker 1: That seems publicly accurate.
Speaker 3: And that's where we leave Part one four today. Come back next week for part two to hear the rest. Megan quick questions. So do you think you would join the Mennonite I think I said in this.
Speaker 4: Interview or maybe it's next weeks that my family was often mistaken for being Mennonite, and that was one of my least favorite parts of it was just looking so different and I really didn't like that. So I think I would be more susceptible to clults that let you dress a little bit more under the radar. That's so fair. Yeah, I just still can never get over it will never cease to be interesting to me how people go from counterculture to super conservative religions wild.
Speaker 3: Will never not be interesting to me. I mean, it happens all the time. It's so incredibly common, And every time I'm like, they went from that to that, as though it's the first time I've ever heard of that happening.
Speaker 4: It just seems so impossible. Well, but people do it all the time.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: You get disillusioned and you swing the other way. Yeah, you shoot for the stars. Sometimes you end up in a cult. Yeah, shoot for the starshoo, for the stars and reach. Sometimes you might land among a cult. Put it on a shirt. Please put that on a shirt. We should put that on a shirt. Okay, no one would wear that shirt.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for listening to another episode of Trust Me. Please raise us five stars if you are so inclined, and as always, remember to follow your gut, watch out for red flags, and never ever trust me.
Speaker 1: Bye.
Speaker 3: This has been an exactly right production hosted by me Lola.
Speaker 1: Blanc and me Megan Elizabeth. Our senior producer is Gee Holley. This episode was mixed by John Bradley.
Speaker 4: Our associate producer is Christina Chamberlain, and our guest booker is Patrick Kuttner.
Speaker 3: Our theme song was composed by Holly amber Church.
Speaker 4: Trust Me as executive produced by Karen Hell, Gareth Georgia hart Stark and Danielle Kramer.
Speaker 3: You can find us on Instagram at trust Me podcast or on TikTok at trust.
Speaker 1: Me Cult podcast.
Speaker 4: Got your own story about cults, extreme belief, our manipulation, Shoot us an email at trustmepodat gmail dot com.
Speaker 3: Listen to trust Me on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts