Speaker 1: Welcome to Wired to Hunt's rutfresh Radio, bringing you the latest reports from the White Tail Woods, presented by First Light, creating proven versatile hunting apparel for the stand, saddle or blind. First Light Go farther, stay longer, and now your hosts, Casey Smith and Tyler Jones.
Speaker 2: With cooler temps across much of the country, many are seeing deer movement creep towards daylight. For September hunting. It seems the stoke is pretty high for taking down target bucks in the next week. This is rutfresh, Let's go. Welcome to another episode of rutfresh, brought to you by First Light. We are glad that we have got a bunch of new First Light to deal with this year, case, aren't we.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Man, I've been out here sweating it up in New Mexico, so having to change clothes pretty often. So it's kind of nice. A lot of different gear, you know, it is kind of cool.
Speaker 5: The h the Marino stuff I wear.
Speaker 4: I've been wearing a wick a lot. You can wear it a couple of days and it ain't no sweat, you know, as far as like stink or whatever.
Speaker 2: So it worked pretty well. Yeah, it's Uh, the marino in the mountains, especially when you're not able to get showers and stuff, Man, is just the thing. So and that's that's the thing that I was drawing the first slight first for was in twenty sixteen. Man, was that marino piece. I was told that it was the best twister. I'm telling you, hey, and I nailed it, dude, I nailed it.
Speaker 4: Sorry to bring a pittion to it.
Speaker 2: You do well? Yeah, thanks dude. So we're fixing again in the white Tail. But real quick, how's the how's the el kint going? Elk cutting's great?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 4: Uh, it's there's lulls the mill of day because it's kind of hot.
Speaker 5: But otherwise, I mean.
Speaker 4: They were rocking and rolling. We actually had kind of a slower morning this morning. We tried a new area, and uh, I kind of have Actually one of the things that we do with the element whenever we're hunting out here anywhere for anything, is we do our best to kind of cross off areas as that's unproductive ground. And I actually haven't been able to do that too much here because there's a lot of elk around. So for the first time this morning I was able to say you know what, probably not coming back here. Yeah, so that's probably a pretty optimistic way of looking at that, but that's what I do.
Speaker 6: Bratt.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, you know, another good way to cross ground off or the opposite right, to find the good spot is to hang trail cameras. And so that's something that we've been doing. You guys have been doing some of that. We are obviously apart right now, but I've been hanging trail cameras too. I actually just hung a new camera that is kind of at the back of my property because I'm not really like looking for the big buck because I haven't seen a buck on this property all year. In the year twenty three, I've not seen a buck on this property. But I do have a lot of deer around. And what I'm trying to understand is where these deer are coming into this corner. So that because i the predominant wind on this property is not a great wind. It's a really iffy wind, and so I'm trying to figure out, like when where are they coming into the corner of this property from. And if I can better understand that, then I know, I know I can hunt that. You know, that really shady wind there that's really uh, they maybe feels just just off or even like it could be bad if I know that they're coming in from you know, we've got to southeast. If I know they're coming in from the west, a little bit more than what I think they could be. So I've got that camera set up on a stake in the in the corner of that corner there and trying to understand that. So, like, there's there's a lot of things you can do with trail cameras. Like I said, we we eliminate a lot of ground, especially like on Texas Public, where uh, there's a lot of ground to be eliminated. There's only a couple of good spots, you know, and uh, every once in a while you run into something good, you know.
Speaker 4: So it's also a good thing to do for human traffic as well.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: That's that One of the things on Texas Public, at least whenever we're eliminating ground is you see a dude in orange walking around on camera and you know, like, hey, that place is pretty blown up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guarantee you it'll it'll just walking through one time. We've seen it shut down cameras pretty good, you know, yep.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And what's handy about that though, is like, you know why the why it's shut down if it does, and if it doesn't, then you're like, Okay, well they didn't walk through anything important at the time, so yeah, good to go or whatever. But it's it's just good to keep that in mind. And we've seen that happen. And you know, you start seeing a dude in there two or three times in the month of October, then you know, probably in November that place is not going to hunt very well because he's probably going to be back in there. So yeah.
Speaker 4: You know something that the longer a hunt and the more I messed with with stealth cameras, especially the more look at cameras more on a year to year traffic like data wise, as opposed to to the here and now, you like you'd think that you would be thinking about, like with cell cams, you know, like the the borderline fair chase thing is like, oh, he's in there right now, let's go. But it's actually I drift the other direction where it's like, Okay, since I have a cell cam in there, I don't have to return to this place and I can leave it out all year long. And it's almost like a sacrificial camera. I may or may not ever make it back to go pick up, or it's probably get stolen or messed with or something between now and then, you know whatever. But I can accrue like months of data without having to go and fiddle with the camera. And actually we did that on the way out here, stopped in a super super secret little spot on some public ground and put out a camera on a big creek crossing that I don't expect to do a lot right now, but as the rut moves on, you know, as things start to heat up, which is what rutfresh is about, right bringing the report as to what's going on in the deer woods. As that starts to push towards you know, late October, were in November, I expect that camera to lit up, and really I'm hoping for some good information that will lead me to making some interesting decisions for the years to come.
Speaker 2: For sure. Man, you know, the cell cams are pretty handy also in a more immediate sense, not necessarily in the most immediate, but for us, like I think about a place that or an area at least wasn't at this exact place, but an area where you and I had a camera or I put a camera out a couple of years ago, and it wasn't super far off the road and we didn't expect much out of it. It was a regular camera trail camera, and we went and checked it, like we pulled the cart on like the last day of the season, and we were blown away. It had been there since August, and we were blown away by what was in there, and we were like, there's bucks everywhere. It's sitn't even far off the road. You know what's going on. So it taught us something for the next year. But at the same time, you know, you're able to now with a cell camera. It's not like the bucks in there right now, go get him because this place is kind of far from us anyway. But it's more like, hey, there's nobody in there this season, so let's go in there. And it allows you to have a good fun hunt on public land instead of yeah, I know, it's just like the fun ant, you know what I mean, it's the same same word, but uh, that's uh, you know, that's for me. It's like, man, people want to hate on these things, but I mean, and then they can certainly be used, but in the wrong way. But so can a vehicle, you know what I mean? Like can you cross a rifle a bow and arrow?
Speaker 4: You know, bow and arrows were uh not legal for hunting for a long time because they're silent. You know, that was the thing in some states because they're quiet, so people they didn't know. They thought people were poaching because they could shoot a bone arrows. Like okay, well just don't you know you can don't do bad things?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, dude, people are going to be evil with things, you know what I mean? So like, uh, and not to say that, like killing a deer that you saw in the camera twenty minutes ago is evil. It's up to you, man, Like you know, if you don't go over the limit, they're set there for a reason, Right, shoot your deer and be done or whatever if you want, if that's what you want out of your hunting experience. But my whole thought is this, Like when I go traveling to hunt out of state or even in state, on public ground somewhere, and I got to get up at you know, two am to go do that, it would be awesome if I could go have a hunt that was fun. And I don't get like worn down at the end of the year because I'm hunting a place that I didn't know a guy was in or whatever, you know. So it's just yep for me. That's that's the main benefit of cell cameras money.
Speaker 4: As you bring that up, because last year we were in the state, Big Buck State, on some public ground and you had gone into a place to hunt that we had a cell came on, but you run a different area of property and you had a bad hunt. While you're in there, you just barely heard like a deer snort, wheeze or something.
Speaker 5: From what I remember, it.
Speaker 4: Didn't see a lot and long the on cell cam slim gems over there walking around stalking around with an aeronaux throughout the whole property, you know. And it's like if you didn't have the camera data, like take sale cam out of it, just in general, you didn't have camera data like you got to look at you would think that maybe your access was wrong.
Speaker 5: Or there was no deer on the property or YadA YadA.
Speaker 4: Because you have that data, then you know like, oh, here is the extra factor that was unknown until we looked at the camera data. So pretty cool thing. And this is the time of year to get that stuff out. I know a lot of people like to get cameras out, get velvet pictures and all that, and they're awesome believing. One of the cool things about trail cameras is just the pictures themselves. It doesn't matter, like I literally would hang a trail camera in a place I wasn't allowed to hunt just to if it had cool deer on it to look at the pictures up.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: But this time of year as a hunter, late September is the time to go get cameras in the woods because if you have a fairly efficient camera with fairly efficient settings and good I mean, you can put a camera out now as long as it's not over like a bait station, and that thing will run for almost the whole season probably, Yeah, And so you you can get all that data and you don't have to go in there at a more crucial time like say like an October twenty first or something where a deer is really starting us to establish his you know, his core area for the fall. You don't want to go in there and mess that up real bad.
Speaker 2: Sure, And we have We've got a guest today that's going to talk about the same thing where you know, as I've spoken with him in the past week, we've heard that or I've heard that he's looking at and seeing some of these deer in areas already that generally are more of a rut area and so a little less in that's kind of summertime pattern. So you get that stuff out now, you start to pick those deer up as they transition into those areas, and it's pretty low you know, it's it's it's a low risk situation for you as far as spooking deer and those kind of things, you know.
Speaker 4: So yeah, well, dude, the second best thing you can do to understand what deer doing is to put your truck cameras out this time of the year.
Speaker 5: But the first, the.
Speaker 4: Bestest thing you can do right now is listen to the Reugh Fresh report from across the country.
Speaker 2: So, Tyler, I'm not there because I am out.
Speaker 5: Hunting elk in New Mexico. You did all these interviews this week.
Speaker 2: Things for doing that, man, and who did you talk to? Man? We have a slew of dudes from all over in different areas of the US. So I'm really excited to bring forward a couple of these guys. For one, We've got Grant Forny with the everyday Outdoorsman. He's out in Maryland. He's had some success and we'll hear from him out in the Maryland area if you head south. We got our buddy Justin Henry in Florida. He's going to talk about Florida a little bit. A place that is so foreign to a lot of US deer hunters, but they're you know, so they're may be some of the hardest deer to hunt if I was taking a guess in the US. So definitely some things to be learned out in that area. We've also got Nate Crick who is with Identical Drawl. They've been out in Kansas a little bit. He's actually heading out there right now to make sure everything's in order out there, so they're hunting Kansas. And we also have Adam Keith from Missouri. Adam has had some really awesome success. Those guys do a bunch of management stuff with Landing Legacy and they're just good dudes. We enjoy hanging out with them. Got to do a turkey video with those guys or Turkey Hunt that turned into a really cool video. A couple of years back in the spring. They've got a cool place up there. So that's who we're hearing from this week. Man.
Speaker 6: Maybe it's a good diverse group from across the country.
Speaker 5: You know, seasons are starting to open up in more and more.
Speaker 4: Places, and I kind of say this every week, but we're getting closer and closer to deer season.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 8: It's season in some places right now will be loved for you and I are chasing white tails.
Speaker 4: But for the hont let's talk to these guys right quick and see what they have to tell us.
Speaker 2: All right now on the phone, I've got Grant forty with the every day outdoorsman. What's going on, Grant?
Speaker 9: Not too much, Tyle or just really enjoying the beginning of hunting season here and uh looking forward to what's to come.
Speaker 2: To Yeah, it seems like it's been pretty good for you so far. What's it like hunting in Maryland? Man? Is it big woods or what are you mostly getting after there?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 9: So in Maryland there's a little bit of everything. What I've been hunting is more more like rolling hills, you know, pretty good mixture of wood lots and big fields. Been hunting one piece of public with a lot of crop fields on private that brought up to the public.
Speaker 5: That's been pretty good. And that corn, yeah, corn and bean.
Speaker 9: And then there's also a pretty good amount of oaks on that public as well, So there's some pretty good oak flats to hunt hunt deer coming into.
Speaker 2: So have you seen that oaks drop?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Yeah, the oaks are dropping, and you know, to be honest, the hunting I have had a little bit of success.
Speaker 5: The hunting has actually been a little tough.
Speaker 9: The deer movement has been pretty slow these first two weekends of the season.
Speaker 5: Opening weekend, I didn't even.
Speaker 9: Lay eyes on a deer and pre sits and then this past weekend had a slow sit again. Friday evening, didn't see anything, and then Saturday I finally saw a couple of deer and I was able. I was actually able to connect on two does Saturday, so I was happy to fill the freezer.
Speaker 5: But really, I can't say that the deer movement has been awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, well that's cool, man. It's good to let an arrow lace. Man. I still get pumped on a shoot, doze, know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Oh? Yeah, it was fun.
Speaker 2: So deer movement's been slow now is that because the weather's stagnant. I know there's been some hurricanes kind of heading up the East coast and that kind of thing, or or is it just something else that you think.
Speaker 9: Yeah, So I think opening weekend there, the first few days of the season that I hunted, it was the warm weather.
Speaker 5: We had really warm temps, probably some.
Speaker 9: Of the warmest tempts I've I've ever hunted in, So I think that really had the movement shut down during daylight, and so I think that that's what was causing it to be pretty slow. And then the temps last week we had a pretty decent temp drop, which had me really excited for the weekend that I just hunted. And it seemed like the hunting pressure then is what made it slow. This happened even though I did connect on for basically the only two year that I saw. I think the opening week hunting pressure was having its effect and that was kind of slowing it down even with the cooler tempts that came in. So you know, kind of had kind of had a lot of things working against me there the first two weekends, but you know, I.
Speaker 5: Was happy to still be able to fill the freezer a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Are you able to run trail cameras out there?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah, I do run some cameras down there in Maryland. The cameras have been they've been okay.
Speaker 9: You know, there's there's a little bit of daylight movement here and there, but nothing crazy. Not a lot for mature bucks. I'll say that it's been mostly dozen fauns in.
Speaker 2: Daylight, gotcha. Okay, So in the next week, our pattern is going to stay similar based off weather, moon, you know whatever, or do you expect them to stay similar or do you expect them to potentially change a little bit.
Speaker 9: I think it's gonna be pretty similar next week to what it is now.
Speaker 5: The weather is going to be pretty much the same.
Speaker 9: It looks like the temperatures, it looks like maybe this weekend there's a very slight temperature drop with a little bit of rain coming in, so that could make it good right after that. But I think for the most part it's I would expect the dear movement to be pretty similar. Hunting pressure is going to pretty much stay the same here throughout the middle of September, and uh, you know, at the temperature with us not really getting a major temp drop, I think I think it's probably going to be pretty similar movement to what we're seeing right now.
Speaker 2: Okay, So on a scale of one to ten, what would you rate the buck movement to be like next week?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'll probably give it a four.
Speaker 9: You know, probably probably a little bit below average, just with the heavy hunting pressure in the areas that I'm hunting, and then you know, those temperatures that are going to be pretty stagnant.
Speaker 5: You know, not only are.
Speaker 9: They are they a little bit higher than we prefer, but it's also of like we're gonna have pretty consistent temperatures here for several days in a row.
Speaker 5: So I don't think that's going to help us. I'll give it a four.
Speaker 2: Okay. Well, I appreciate the update, man, Yeah, yeah, I hope you guys have a great, great season.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: I hope you guys are able to put down a few Maryland Bucks and wherever else you end up. And I'm sure we're going to talk to you again at some point.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 2: I appreciate the time.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, well, I appreciate you having me on, Tyler, and good luck to you guys this.
Speaker 2: Year too, Thanks man, Sea Grant see you later, all right, I'm talking to Justin Henry right now. He's out in Florida. Justin, we had you on last year. What's been going on since then?
Speaker 3: Not a whole lot, you know, just as well as I know, being from Texas.
Speaker 5: Heat, heat and more heat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's been man. I'll tell you what. The last few days here in the mornings, I've almost had to put a sweatshirt on. But it's been you know, eighty late or high eighties to low nineties. The last few days is high. So it's it's crazy that that feels good, but it does, you know. So you guys have had some heat and you've been out hunting a little bit in Florida, which is a such a weird state for most of us other people to think about deer hunting, but you guys, you live in it, and you know what's going on. What were you hunting as far as patterns go in the last week or so.
Speaker 3: Zone C, which is Central Florida open up this past weekend and I pretty much was on the food basically finding those dropping acorns, set up and runn an oak flat outside of some thick areas pal meadows and stuff, and.
Speaker 5: Hoping to catch them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the the what kind of oaks are they? Are they big acorns or small ones?
Speaker 3: They are small acorns, Yeah, I would equivalent it to about half the size of what you get out in the Midwest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and these are like swampy areas, I guess.
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean pretty much you can get into your er null areas where you're palmetto flats and stuff like that, your swamps down there by your cypresses and stuff like that, there's water. We've had a good amount of rain the past couple of weeks and stayed dried for so long. But we've had a decent amount of rain. So uh, a lot of the ditches and the swamp areas are a little bit higher than expecting.
Speaker 2: Gotcha. So the the oaks are I guess in that drier country they swamp oaks or are they like a sand post oak that's an upland or what what do you?
Speaker 3: You got some scrub scrub oaks so you're yeah, basically scrub oaks or laurel oaks are starting to drop.
Speaker 2: A little bit.
Speaker 5: And what I call like a live oak.
Speaker 3: M No, I haven't really seen any of acorns on that really, just the laurels and like you said, like a swamp oak.
Speaker 2: Got okay, So what what's the weather going to be like? And are you good at guys gonna get I know that there's been as hurricane season, so things change a lot. You know. Is is there any cold front in the future that you see.
Speaker 3: I heard a rumor that it might be like sixty seven Saturday morning. All right, I'm stoked about that. That's about for the morning time. That's about a ten degree swing the way it's been lately, So I mean, I feel like that's enough to induce a little bit movement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you know you have weird ruts down there? Is that gonna I mean, I don't know when you're hunting Central Florida. I don't know when the rut is, But is that something that could kind of start the rut? Essentially?
Speaker 3: Probably not so much with this weather, and given the time of year Central Florida is usually about mid October is when it really starts to fire up.
Speaker 5: In my neck of the woods.
Speaker 3: Now South Florida being zoned A, they are down way south there.
Speaker 5: They've been running down there.
Speaker 3: They were they actually are running before the season even opens down in South Florida. But We're still about about a month away.
Speaker 5: For it to start cracking up.
Speaker 2: Got So, in the next week, if you're to go out hunting, like say that you're gonna go hunt that that coal front this weekend, are you are you gonna change what you hunt them on, the patterns that you hunt them on, or what do you think?
Speaker 5: No? No, I think I'm gonna stick to the food.
Speaker 3: The acorns should still be dropping here, uh for quite a while, and uh, I think I'm just gonna stick tight to the food for the time being.
Speaker 2: Okay, cool. So with that, with that coming in, uh, if you had to rate buck movement on a scale of one to ten for for this next week, especially considering that coal front coming in, is it gonna jump up? And what's that number gonna be?
Speaker 3: I think I'm still gonna give it about a three to a four, uh, depending on the area.
Speaker 5: I think.
Speaker 3: I think it's generally gonna be on the same side, kind of on the slow side for the time being.
Speaker 2: Gotcha. Well, I appreciate the report, justin, and I hope that you shoot one this weekend. Send us pictures if you do, and we'll be talking to you soon. Man.
Speaker 6: Sounds good.
Speaker 3: Thanks Tyler.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm here with Nate Crick of Identical Drawl. Nate, what's been going on? Man?
Speaker 6: Hey dude, I mean it's hunting season. Yeah, so can't complain.
Speaker 7: Man, September's here and uh, TIMPs have been, uh pretty cool. Uh we're we're at so it's been. It's been pretty awesome getting out with the bow in hand and stuff like that.
Speaker 6: Can't complain.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, you know, most guys are hunting elk in September, Guys like you and I, they spend we spent a little more time in the deer woods. Especially September can be really good when you get cooler temps. Uh, you've been in Kansas and I mean, what was the weather like when you were hunting? Was it? Was it cooler or was it warmer?
Speaker 6: It was cooler.
Speaker 7: My brother and I we were actually discussing, like Opening Day was probably the most prime opening day we've had in as many years as we can remember.
Speaker 6: We had a I mean there's a big temp drop at least.
Speaker 7: Ten to fifteen degrees from let's see the tenths, like the ninth and tenths to the eleventh of opening Day, and there's some precipitation with it too, so whenever you get the big temps.
Speaker 6: Drops in little pre sip, we get pretty excited.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So yeah, we did hunt the opener and we saw some deer, but it was still still you could still tell its early season, like you really gotta I don't know, at least in our neck of the woods, you gotta kind of get lucky to snack on his open season bucks. And it's I don't know, our mindset about it is kind of just like, I mean, less.
Speaker 6: Than two weeks ago we were glassing bucks.
Speaker 7: In bean fields, so it's like we're gonna, we're gonna kind of be on until.
Speaker 6: It kind of to change.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did uh, did you trail cameras do anything different? Like did you see anything that was surprising with the cooler temps that changed their patterns or anything.
Speaker 6: I didn't really see anything. The weird thing that well, I guess it's not weird. I feel like in a lot of like hunting da and things like that.
Speaker 7: Here don't hunt the mornings early season, but the bucks that we've been hunting have been daylighting.
Speaker 6: In the morning, so that evening are our hunt wasn't as good as we wanted. Opening day evening and we went back that night, but Tuesday morning.
Speaker 7: The next morning, one of our bucks that you're chasing daylighted, and then two days later they daylighted again in the morning.
Speaker 6: So we were like, man, we need to be we need to be.
Speaker 7: Switching up our minds set a little bit about this early season morning stuff, because our that's when our bucks are moving.
Speaker 6: I think I think it's I think it's coolest in the morning because it's still in the evening it's still dropping timp and so I think it is the coolest in the morning.
Speaker 7: And then I don't know, I don't know what other things are changing at We had one of our bucks was actually still vulve full velvet my opening day and then two days later he had lost all of it. So they're definitely they're definitely changing for the season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so what have you just been hunting them on food or what patterns you've been hunting them on?
Speaker 7: Yeah, pretty much hunting them on food. We have half of our cameras are still kind of in the summer mode of on some field edges, some food things like that. And then actually before we did have an ELK tag early September, before we did that. We moved some of our cameras around you some just some more late October November stuff like drainages, stuff where we're catching pinch points. And we actually had one of our shooters go hit one of those cameras and like do a little scrape action on one of them, and I was like, that's that's where that's where we need the rest of our cameras.
Speaker 6: Because in the last at least in the last five day.
Speaker 7: A lot of our food cameras have become a lot slower just get movement.
Speaker 6: So we're like the bucks are still there, but they're changing and we.
Speaker 7: Haven't adjusted to be able to catch them on a camera or to just just see them more in the tree.
Speaker 6: So definitely need to uh to do some of that.
Speaker 2: So going forward, are you going to be changing your hunting setups and your cameras in this next week or so to kind of match what do you think you're seeing?
Speaker 6: Yeah, we we follow the food sources.
Speaker 7: We've got some oaks on our ground, so like the acorns are really starting to drop, so combination.
Speaker 6: Of that and also just like hitting those heavy trails and this is we've hunted this property for a while so it's.
Speaker 7: Not like a new thing that we're going to go scalp with boots in the ground and try to find some of that fresh sign.
Speaker 6: We know where a lot of that is.
Speaker 7: We'll still try to find some of that fresh sign in the next few weeks, but yeah, that transition really needs to happen. Until we do that, I can expect trail cameras to be a little slower.
Speaker 6: But yeah, that's kind of how it will go.
Speaker 7: And I mean the next few weeks will really, I mean, it can only get better from here. So let's say really start start getting consistent again. We're gonna wait for a pretty good temp drop before we go after those suckers again.
Speaker 2: So yeah, cool. So in the next week, if you had to think, based off of weather and all these different factors and then just the change that you're seeing, what would you rate on a scale of one to ten your projected buck movement?
Speaker 6: Gosh, I would I would say it'll be okay. I bet it'll be.
Speaker 7: Like a seven out of ten, all right, which I feel like is pretty good for this time of the year because it could be pretty slow.
Speaker 6: But the temps are okay and they're gonna be dipping.
Speaker 8: I know.
Speaker 6: I saw again later this week they're gonna be dipping.
Speaker 7: So honestly, like a week from now, I will I will expect to have had the bucks were chasing the least day I once in there, which can't complain for late September.
Speaker 2: Sure, awesome, Dave, Well, thanks for the reporting, Nate, and I hope you guys have a great season. Get after them with Kansas Shooters. Yeah, things all right. Now on the phone, I've got Adam Keith out in Missouri. Adam, it's been a while since I've seen you, man, but it's good to talk to you again.
Speaker 8: No doubt, Tyler are always a pleasure man.
Speaker 2: So you guys are. With Landing Legacy, you have this company that just does lives and breathes, like you know, native landscape, right, but you do a lot of just landscape work and a lot of wildlife work. You guys. I've been impressed for years, have known you for a long time now. But with just your knowledge of different plants and different biology and all the different things, man, so consequentially you end up killing some pretty good deer over the years, and you've had success recently, right.
Speaker 8: No doubt. Yeah, I'd tell you like, we're habitat restoration with habitat management for hunting success. So we do a lot of laying out habitat restoration that involves trying to put a hunting strategy in place, and so you know, when you do that, I feel like on your home farm, that's kind of like you're supposed to be able to hunt your own farm, but if you're in that business, you kind of have to be laying it out in a way that produces success. I mean I would feel pretty like a big failure if I didn't do it correctly, and sometimes it falls into place too good if you will. And that was Saturday night for us, I mean first night in the set and it came together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you were what were you hunting that buck? Like the pattern wise, what were you hunting them on? What were you looking for him to be doing?
Speaker 8: For me early season, I'm always trying to press against betting as close as I can. And whether I'm pressing against betting that is food sourced close by, that's right next to the bedded room, or in this case, it's one of the first scrapes that they use in the fall where we put a ca on it and in the fall, it's like, Okay, you see occasional scrape on a field edge, but like this is the one where they come in and they're thrashing it and they're working it up, and it's bare ground and you don't do anything to make it that way. They do it, and so it's kind of like a historically good scrape. And we know that it's very close to this buck's bedding, and so we just put the time in with the right wind and lo and behold, he was the first deer on the field.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the scrape, now, is that something that you see it it gets opened up because of the diurnal period or is there a weather uh function there that happens or why is that? Why does that all of a sudden become a thing as soon as.
Speaker 8: They start shedding velvet. It seems like that scrape starts starts to heat up.
Speaker 2: Okay, And I don't.
Speaker 8: Know if it's because you know, there's a lot of theories with this, but it's on the high one of the highest elevations on the entire farm, and it's an open field that's kind of brushy, and it just feels bucky when you get there in the fall, and I don't know if because it's so high that when it gets work so consistently that the scent of that scrape just drifts down all around and so deer constantly smelling it and coming.
Speaker 2: To check it.
Speaker 8: That's kind of been my idea. So it's kind of like a humongous communication point.
Speaker 2: I got you, man, That's that's pretty cool theory. I love random kind of you know, obscure theories like that that make a lot of sense still because those are the you know, you can talk about, you know, betting and bed to food all day, but everybody talks about that. It's cool when you can see stuff and be like, oh, I wonder about this. You know, in case, he's really good at that stuff. He's a very creative individual.
Speaker 8: But yeah, for me, even watching trail cameras, one of the cool things that you see is like I'll see a three and a half year old come in and work that scrape and then he'll walk off and it's like five minutes later, here comes another buck and he's checking it, and I'm like, in theory, I'm always like they're laying around somewhere to where they can either see a buck going to it or smell it or something. But it seems like they just almost take a ticket to go take their turn at the scrape sometimes in the fall and especially early in the fall, and we've seen it in the last couple of years, so we just had to capitalize on it Saturday.
Speaker 2: That's awesome, man, congrats on that going forward. If you were to go hunting next week or this next week, this coming week, like what would you change anything at all or would you kind of stay with that same scrape pattern that's near bedding or would you go would you move to food or what would you do there?
Speaker 8: Well, here in the Ozark Mountains, they're starting to be more and more acrons dropping, especially white oaks, And for our farm, we knew it was a ticking time was ticking where they're going to shift from that scrape being consistent on it to shifting more into chasing white oak acres. And so for us moving forward, the strategy would be still trying to find those acrens that are dropping close to betting. And so you know, we've got a couple of cameras right now on some big white oaks field edge white oaks that are next to a really dense area on an east slope and there was deer in there at seven fifteen this morning, mature box. And so for us, it's like, okay, we still are going to use the betting as our focal point, but we're still trying to find those almost enticers to draw them out in daylight, whether that be a scrape, or whether that be a per Simon grove, or whether that be a food plot or in many cases right now it's white oak acres.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, that makes sense. So if you were to if you were to rate what you assume buck movement would be like based off of any variables you can come up with in the next week, on a scale of one to ten, what do you think it's going to be?
Speaker 5: Probably a seven.
Speaker 8: I feel like it's a pretty good right now.
Speaker 5: Looking at the weather forecast.
Speaker 8: You know, it's still mid September to light a part of September, but it's cooler. It's a little bit almost historically cooler than normal, and over the last couple of weeks has been really hot, and this week looks pretty cool, chances of some rain. I mean, if I still had a tag, I'd be out there.
Speaker 2: Awesome, dude, Well, thanks for the report Adam, and I hope you guys have a great season. Man appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Same to you guys.
Speaker 2: Honest reports from all these fellas. These are the guys we like to have on so that everyone listening has a realistic expectation it can make good use of their free time. These guys talked a lot about hunting food for the week, and I almost hate to give out this information, but Adam Moore has written a really good short article on the meat Eater website called three overlooked food sources for early season white tails. Also, there are more one Week in November episodes coming soon, so make sure you're subscribed to the med Eater YouTube channel. Lastly, don't forget to hop over to the Element podcast and make sure you're getting the latest tips directly from us as we continue to discuss up to the minute discovery while in the field and answer listener questions. This has been rough, Fresh Stay fresh, m