Speaker 1: Hey there, folks, it is Thursday, October the sixteenth. You do not have to take our word for it for our number sixteen on our Horror hit list, because this movie has a nearly perfect Rotten Tomato score. Welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ. We continue with our deep cuts our favorite horror movies that maybe you haven't heard of as we get closer and closer to Halloween. This one robes I was surprised, but that is not a joke. This has a nearly perfect rating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ninety six percent critics score Rotten Tomatoes for our number sixteen movie on the list. Oddity, this is one of the newest ones that we've put on our list, and we put it on there just because I don't think that's a movie that a lot of people just would be able to quickly.
Speaker 3: Recall or know of or remember.
Speaker 1: Odi.
Speaker 2: It's not a movie that's on a lot of people's radar, and yet it's so good.
Speaker 1: I don't know how we I don't know. We watch everything new that kind of comes out, but I don't know why we were drawing to this one. And Oddity, even the name of this movie adds to some mystery, and it fits perfectly.
Speaker 3: It really does. So yes. This was released to twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: It's an hour and thirty eight minutes and here's the synopsis for Oddity. When Danny is brutally murdered at the remote country house that she and her husband Ted are renovating, everyone suspects a patient from the local mental health institution where Ted is a doctor. However, soon after the tragic killing, the suspect is found dead. A year later, Danny's blind twin sister, Darcy, a self proclaimed psychic and collector of cursed items, pays an unexpected visit to Ted and his new girlfriend, Yanna. Convinced that there was more to her sister's murder than people know, Darcy has brought with her the most dangerous item from her curse collection to help her exact revenge.
Speaker 1: So good write up, so good, and we didn't I don't think we got all that information before we watched it, but now that you have it, it's kind of helpful because it is a bit of a slower burn that we'll we'll get into. But that's perfectly described.
Speaker 2: There are so many twists and turns, and maybe it was a little bit too much of a slow Burn because the audience scores seventy seven percent, which is still really high. It just it pales in comparison to the ninety six percent that critics gave it. But I would give this I would give this movie in the nineties for sure, how about you?
Speaker 1: Without a question, this is a it's so rare. It's almost a quiet movie that has a bunch of jump scares that just they're creepy Crawley moments of just subtle movements that scare the hell out of it.
Speaker 3: We watched it for the second time.
Speaker 2: We rewatched it for the purpose of this episode, and even though we knew what was going to happen, I still jump. You always laugh at me, but I have to put my If I have a drink, whether it's water or wine, I have to put it down because I will spill my drink on a movie like this. And you know what, This was released on Shutter, so the box office was nothing, basically one point eight million. And that's another reason why we really wanted to put it on the list, because you didn't go to the theaters to see this, and you might not have noticed it if it just was released on Shutter And you know, that name might not draw a lot of people in oddity, what's that about? And then just move on, which is what I think we might have done initially, But then we're so happy when we finally watched.
Speaker 1: Do people know about Shutter on Amazon? Brian?
Speaker 2: I hope If they don't, now please If you love horror movies, you need to be subscribed to Shutter. It is NonStop horror movies. I'm amazed at how many horror movies are made. It just there's an abundance. I feel like you can see five new ones every day, and most of them are pretty good, yes, but this one is exceptional.
Speaker 3: Oddity.
Speaker 2: The cast, Carolyn Bracken, plays both twins, so we get to meet the sister who was murdered beforehand, and then we get to meet the blind sister who comes to try and figure out what actually happened to her sister. But the other folks are not necessarily household names Willem Lee, Steve Wall, Joe Rooney, but these are all This is all set in Ireland, and the director, Damian McCarthy is Irish, and so it was shot in Ireland.
Speaker 3: The whole thing has just got this.
Speaker 2: It creates a feel, this isn't an Irish country home away from everyone else. I just love this setting and the fields of this movie.
Speaker 1: It takes you there in a lot of ways, in a place you don't want to be. This big, empty at a farmhouse almost on a mini castle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like a renovated old farm castle house.
Speaker 1: It's gorgeous, but you wouldn't want to be there in the middle of the night by yourself walking around this place. And that's kind of the setting for so much of this creepiness. This is not a haunted house tail at all, but that place just serves as the setting, which is almost It needs to be remote, it needs to be dark, it needs to be old, it needs to be create. All of that stuff adds to these relics so good.
Speaker 2: So here's the critics consensus. And you mentioned it's not a haunted house. However, I like how they put it an elegant and spooky ghost story punctuated with clever jolts, oddity hues to the fundamentals of fright and achieves shout inducing results.
Speaker 1: Wow, that was the line of the So say the party.
Speaker 2: An elegant and spooky ghost story punctuated with clever.
Speaker 1: Jolts, clever jolts. That is a good way to put it. They were just smart, little, subtle, little nothing of a movie. You have to pay attention, and yes, it will creep you out.
Speaker 2: Because yes, as you mentioned, it's a quiet movie, so you really do have to be watching to catch some of these scary moments. There is one in particular that I get chills when I even think about it. It's so creepy. So I went through the critic reviews. This was the first time, Babe, I could not find a bad one in the critics reviews.
Speaker 3: I went through like three or four of the pages.
Speaker 2: All of them were positive, and I just picked some of the better ones that I thought really spoke to why we loved this movie as well. Oddity is a ghost story, a who Done It, a jump scare freakout, a twisty, slow burned psycho thriller, and a revenge saga all wrapped into one taut little horror film.
Speaker 1: You know, they make a Yeah, they make a bunch of good it. Don't you feel validated? Don't you love that?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: But this little nothing of a movie, if you will, that we just randomly found and love and wanted to put on the list. We had no idea that it had a nearly perfect run.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a lot of these.
Speaker 2: I won't if we see something that we might want to watch, we won't even go on to ron Tomatoes because I don't want to have a preconceived note about what it's going to be. That I feel like that's somehow it almost always impacts the viewing if you have certain expectations and then you don't think it falls short. I think it's worse when something's highly reviewed, because then I have really high expectations. But so maybe we're doing a diservice to folks who are about to watch some of these kids. We're like, it's so good, and then they might not agree. But okay, here are some other sample critic reviews.
Speaker 3: It is Jews, it Jews. I can't say that a shoes it is shoes jump.
Speaker 2: Scares in favor of a more subtle and harder to pull off gradual escalation of unease and accretion of unnerving details.
Speaker 3: I can't.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm doing poorly and trying to figure out the verbiage of this particular critic.
Speaker 3: But he liked it.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Oddity infuses originality into the classic gothic horror structure, but it shines the brightest in its masterful crafted home invasion scenes, which contains some of the most suspenseful movie moments of the year.
Speaker 1: The you know what we talk about. This is a slow burn, but it starts with a bang. It starts with action. Yeah, I forgot about that verse.
Speaker 2: Your heart is pounding because you don't know what's gonna happen, and you're not sure what happened, because then it fast forwards a year later and you're trying to piece it all together. Here's another critic review. For fans of quiet, subtle horror. This film covers all the bases, often emphasizing fear of the unknown through lingering shots of deep, unsettling shadows and almost imperceptible terrors.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, it's kind of one of those you walk into all your lights go out, you don't know what's right in front of you. There's a lot of that in this movie. To where you're looking at dark scene. I'm trying to think of any daylight scenes in this maybe when somebody pulls up into the house with a lot of darkness, but it's a movie and this whole big place. Yeah, you're looking in corners, just seeing what you're trying to see. There is a lot of that. Yeah, even the opening sequence, right, there's no electrician has a tent set up inside.
Speaker 3: Because they're renovating.
Speaker 1: Because they're renovating.
Speaker 2: They're renovating this farmhouse in the Irish countryside.
Speaker 3: Oh so good, all right.
Speaker 2: The audience reviews, I found a bad one, so I'll start with that one. The other two are glowing. But here's the bad one, which I thought was so interesting. I only found two or three of them.
Speaker 1: You agree with the criticism before, you.
Speaker 2: Know, because no, because they they all said the same thing.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 2: The folks that didn't like it, the extremely good reviews are baffling to me. It's slow, nonsensical and uninteresting.
Speaker 1: What okay, it is slow. It is slow, it's nonsensical, it's a horror movie. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The last one was what uninteresting? That's that's insane.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was somebody on their phone while the movie was on in the background.
Speaker 2: Yes, and that's somebody. You had an expectation of a completely different movie. I think if you know what you're getting into, you know it's a slow build, but you know it's dramatic as hell and totally worth it in terms of payoff. In the end, this movie isn't phenomenal for us.
Speaker 1: We didn't know what the payoff was going to be, but every moment kept us wanting to watch the next moment we got more and more interested, invested, and curious. Yeah we this movie will take you from beginning to end. And it's a short one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's sweet. The acting and the cinematography alone are just worth a watch. Here are two other ones that I love that the audience totally agreed with us. It was pure art. They really know how to create suspense. One of the best films of my life, if not the best. I would really recommend everyone to watch it.
Speaker 1: Wow, not really feel validated.
Speaker 2: And then here's the final line from an audience member. Oddity starts with a deeply thriller vibe before catapulting viewers into pure nightmare fuel.
Speaker 3: I just said that this is right.
Speaker 2: The film's terror takes many forms, each more tantalizingly unbearable until the final flawless frame. Oh yeah, the praise is high for obvious reasons. So yeah, that one bad one. I was like, dude, do you not see that you're like an outlier? In a sea of people who were all just phraising this movie.
Speaker 1: That's okay, But to say it was unter not interesting at all, is.
Speaker 3: That was wild? All Right, We probably don't need to go over Wyatt made our list, but we'll talk about who.
Speaker 2: It's for, who it's not for, what to pair it with, where to watch it, and tease ahead to our next movie when we come back. Continuing now with our discussion of one of our favorite movies on the list, number sixteen, Oddity. It is a gem of a movie. It's as most of the movies on this list, it's quick, but it is is worth every minute and you need to pay attention. It made our list because of the incredible acting, the phenomenal plot twists. It really keeps you guessing, and it keeps you creeped out the entire time. There were you know, there are a lot of cool subplots that go beyond just the supernatural spookiness of it, just with the relationships that are unfolding.
Speaker 3: It's so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a huge revenge plot in the middle of this. There's a I mean, there's a murder mystery in the middle of this, so and yeah, there's horror. This is a This is one the she pulls this off so well. This I'm not familiar with this actress. She is what she's wearing a but yeah, she's playing a blind woman, but she is carrying herself with this. She has a very subtle and understated strength and rage, like she's pissed, and it never comes through necessarily with emotion, but she delivers it in her performance.
Speaker 3: Almost in a dead pain. Carolyn Bracken is her name.
Speaker 2: She is, I mean she I think she should be nominated, or she should have been. I guess it was last year, so that ship has sailed. But I would absolutely think her performance was that good. So who is it for? If you are looking for an elevated horror movie, you know, I think sometimes you're not in the mood for one. You just want it to be campy and bloody. That's fine. This is an elevated horror movie experience. You want something more than just good kills, blood and guts. You want mystery, intrigue.
Speaker 3: Who done it? This is your movie?
Speaker 1: I'm trying to I don't want to. Yeah, I'm not gonna give that away. I'm trying to think of how many people actually died in this movie. How many deaths that you actually see on screen? We won't give it away, but now I know you're thinking, and we know the number is low.
Speaker 3: It's a handful, but not a tremendous.
Speaker 1: Zo is low. Yeah, you say elevated, this is one definitely will always say you got to watch this at night because there's a lot of dark scenes and you need to see all those dark corners in the movie. But yeah, it's I think this is almost is it an entry? It's for everybody? Anybody can stomach this no matter what you're I agree is but is it for everybody in terms of who has the do you want to sit for an elevated experience? If you're just coming into the genre, maybe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's probably what mood you're in, because in my who's it not for? If you're looking for action or a fun horror flick, this isn't for you.
Speaker 1: I don't know. It's a there is a creep factor that makes it fun. Right, you got your closest friends together, a few blankets in the middle of it.
Speaker 2: You think being scared is fun? Then yes, okay, yeah, you know what I'm saying, Like, it's not like you know, if you want that fun like shark, crocodile whatever, Jason. Not an adventure, It's not that it's it's no, there's not like a lot of action.
Speaker 3: The man.
Speaker 2: It'll move you mentally.
Speaker 3: In a lot of ways.
Speaker 2: And yes, in terms of pairing it, I I do think this is when you want somebody with you. I wouldn't want to watch this movie by myself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because so much of the movie is somebody by themselves in this big house, yes, and creepy things going on. So no, I wouldn't recommend that.
Speaker 2: And if you have any like, I just feel like, if you have any artifacts in your home, any museum pieces, any like, just I don't want to give too much way, but if you have anything that could be considered that you might think could be haunted or came from some estate sale, I would.
Speaker 3: Not want to be around that. When I was watching this film, it would start to make me really concerned.
Speaker 2: But anyway, this is again in a cozy Irish mansion in the woods. So I was thinking you could do a whole Irish coffee, fish and chips, French onion soup, red wine. It's cozy, so you could just have some fun with what you pair with it. But who doesn't love a good Irish coffee?
Speaker 1: You know, here's when I was actually going to when you I'm trying to think like you do in putting to your pairing. This is a hot toddy movie.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, mulled wine. You could do all sorts of that is you say it all the time. You actually you take molling spices like there you can get them at Williams Sonoma or whatever.
Speaker 1: You're losing me even more, it's fine.
Speaker 3: Can you put it in a crock pot?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: You put some wine in it, and it's so delicious on a cold night. All right, So yes, watch this with someone in parrot, whatever you want with it, but it is fun to keep in the Irish theme of things. You can watch this Hulu, Disney Plus, AMC Plus. And as we mentioned, this is a shutter movie, so probably anywhere you can find Shutter, you can find oddity. But please, please, please, we hope you enjoy this as much as we did. This is such a special film, so our next movie tomorrow will be number fifteen. This one has had recent box office success. It too is highly reviewed. And this is another movie that involves a cautionary tale. When you rent an Airbnb, but man, does it take a twist.
Speaker 1: You will never rent another Airbnb if this is going on in there. And it also includes oh yes, one of our absolute favorite horror movie actress and we'll get into that. So excited about this next one. We appreciate you all joining us along this journey happy horror watching on behalf of my dear partner may be a robot. I'm TJ. Holmes. We will be seeing y'all soon