Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Business Week with Carol Messer and Tim Stenebek on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 3: Here's a kind of startling statistic, Tim, Oh, more than one in ten women changed employers over the last year. And maybe that's not surprising, but most only plan to stay with their employer for about two and a half years. It turns out that poor work life balance, a lack of flexibility, and inadequate pay and benefits are driving women to say goodbye and leave their employers.
Speaker 2: This has serious implications because when it comes to tracking and retaining talent, it's very expensive, and you want people to stay at a company. If you're running a company for a long period.
Speaker 3: It was to begin to better. I mean I've only been saying that for twenty five thirty years.
Speaker 2: Everything that Carol just read was from some of the findings of Deloitte's annual Women at Work Report, which just came out today. We have with us Emma cod a Deloitte Global DEI officer. She joins us here in the Bloomberg Interactive at Broker's Studio. As Carol mentioned, Emma, it's it's you know, this is the type of stuff that's supposed to be getting better. Is it getting better?
Speaker 1: Sadly not every year. This is the fourth year that we've won't run this piece of research. We speak to five thousand women across workplaces, across ten countries, and every year when I do the analysis and start writing the report, I glimpses of hope and look, some things are improving. So burnout is down. It really reached a peak just after the pandemic when we started to come back, and I think for many of us it was this you know, always on, always on is still there, unfortunately, but burn outstand but stresses up real concerns about women's health menopause. This year, the data on that deeply concerning. And then we've got the sort of return to the office policies that are kicking in non inclusive behaviors. There's a lot of similar trends and I don't think we're just not seeing enough.
Speaker 3: Tim knows this. I say this all the time, that we have a great policy here for parents, whatever sex, to take six months off yeah primary CA and so I'm saying you guys need to do this. Amazing we have other colleagues because that's what to me, helps level the playing field of it's not just women out of the workforce for a long period of time, but it's also their partners and men also out of their workforce. And I feel like things like that might help, but help me out here to understand how do we really change the needle and a lot more of these things.
Speaker 1: So, by the way, commendable with those that policy. It's great because it really does make a difference. And if you look at some of the responses. So last year we started asking about household responsibilities and who takes the majority takes all the majority of the domestic unpaid workload, and it was unfortunately the data was women. This year, we are seeing that far higher. You know, so around half of women are taking on the majority of childcare responsibility and these are women and most of my working full time, so doing a full dose work. And then going back and we saw a lessening of those that split it with their partner. And then the adult care care for other adults is deeply concerning that that's gone up to six and ten from forty percent.
Speaker 2: Okay, I gotta tell you a parent of two young kids here, I was thinking, Carol, I was thinking last night. As I'm like picking up toys, doing the dishes. My wife is doing laundry, like she's the one who cooked last night. I did bad time. I was like, I need another person here to help. We only have one kid, but it's like I need I need another kids. No, I'm sorry, Oh sorry, just say yeah sorry, live, I love you.
Speaker 4: I met this.
Speaker 2: What I meant is like, we're not out numbered. We have one each live our Fortunately they're playing out. Fortunately they're playing outside right now and not listening, but one to eat right Like it's like, great, we're not out We're not out numbered at this point. That's what I mean. We're not out numbered yet. Yeah I know their names. Hey, this is not an interview about me.
Speaker 3: No, but it's interesting. And I'm going to say when my daughter was kid, when my daughter was little and I had aging parents, like you get that squeeze like there's a lot going on, but emma help us, Like, yeah, how how do we do things better? Because we all thought after the pandemic, Oh, everybody gets it, we need to have much more balanced like it's got a way r Yeah.
Speaker 1: So look, how do we do things better? How do what do organizations need to do so, so you know, you look at some of the data, around half of women are concerned about their personal safety at work when traveling for work.
Speaker 3: What does that mean?
Speaker 1: So so you know when you're traveling, when you're I mean, that's deeply concerning. We've seen women say that their rights are being eroded around the world, and actually this is personally impacting some women, including in fact most notably the rights are an equal wage and also the rights are to live free of violence.
Speaker 3: So this survey is global source, it's developing world as well, so yeah, and its ten countries, so it's got to se really good balance.
Speaker 1: So so you see these issues, you see mental health, you see you know, two thirds of women saying I'm sorry, I'm not going to disclose and I don't want to discuss this in the workplace. Why not because I'm worried it might make me vulnerable to layoffs, worried I might be stereotype discrimination.
Speaker 3: I think it would be really hard. I think it is hard for women to call and say I'm having a bad day, whether it's you name it, Yeah, and I don't know if I should go there. I mean, it's it's life, but it's just and these are real things that affect a woman's health. And I think that I don't know that you.
Speaker 1: Are right and ready for this because I'm my embarrassed. My daughters have twin daughters, and I embarrass them. So we have to talk about people to talk about menopause. I suffer from meendemutosis chronically. Did I disclose no?
Speaker 3: Back?
Speaker 1: Then? Would I disclose now? Yes? And so I think, you know, there is an evolution that we're seeing. But look at much of this comes down to policies. The great policies that you've talked about, so equalizing, paranal leave all of those great things. But honestly, you will only avail yourself with policies if your leader actually gets it understand So you know, yet again, every year we come back to inclusive leadership, we come back to the importance of modernizing the workplace. You know some BUSI right, and it's just seeing role models all of those things, because I can't have another year where we see data as concerning as this, and there.
Speaker 3: Is We've gaming, like I agree with things we can do, and we.
Speaker 2: Only have thirty seconds left. But I'm afraid you are going to see another year where you come back and talk to us in a year and you're going to say the same thing.
Speaker 1: I really hope we don't. I think as we see legislation coming in around the world, so we look at the EU, the Pay Directive there, the Pay Transparency Directive. I really believe that's going to start driving change. We need to see more of that around the world. And then the reality you talked earlier at the start, it's extremely expensive. Why would we invest in these brilliant future leaders only for them to have them turn around? And so I'm sorry, but you five years time, only seven percent of us are going to be with you.
Speaker 3: Just wanted to do that, right, We all talk about that. Right at the early levels, it's all the same, there's more parody, and then as it gets goes along and by the way, Steve, Steve, Tim your mother.
Speaker 4: In law, I'm just going to already see the therapy.
Speaker 3: Emma, thank you so much, really appreciated this conversation. Fingers crossed that the next year survey changes. Emma cod She's over at Deloitte Global, their DEI officer