Speaker 1: Kutbooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the Old Republic, a soul fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto gutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: It's a clearinghouse of hot takes. Break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now.
Speaker 1: In the air everywhere, and a happy Saturday to you. It is on like Donkey Kong, just hours from now. It is the Fifth Hour with me, Ben Mallor and Danny g on location, on location, from a very secret location in the bowels of a hotel in downtown Kansas City. It is the Fifth Hour, and Danny, you are not not here, but in spirit you are here. As today it is green Light Go. We talked about a lot yesterday on the podcast, and I've been trying to promote the heck out of this. The Maelor Meet and Greet at the Landing. I guess you could say I have landed at the landing. Well not yet. I'll be there later today at two o'clock local time here in Kansas City. Obviously, what doesn't matter if it's three o'clock in the east. But we're in Kansas City. So fired up, Danny, big Malar, meet and greet today. A lot of schmooze time, good schmoozing on the horizon today, So I'm excited about that and really fired. I'm gonna have the Ben Maller chicken fingers. Had a little barbecue last night. We'll have the chicken fingers today and then probably just fall asleep right after because I can get up ridiculously early for the Chiefs game tomorrow against the Broncos. But I'm looking forward. It's gonna be just a whirlwind weekend here, Danny Whirlwind.
Speaker 3: It's a good thing for you that Mahomes has very flexible ankles and hips, because otherwise you would have been walking right into a funeral.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, I realized that. And if you could have heard the amount of profanity on Monday night that I was saying when Mahomes was getting helped off the field against Tampa Bay, I'm like, oh, come on, you got to be joking, right, I mean, here I am. You know it's my one trip to Arrowhead. You know, I know you're a Raiders fan Danny and this is enemy territory and I get that and I respect that, But for me, it's like, hey, I'm excited to go to Kansas City experience. I've heard the tailgating is amazing at Arrowhead and all that has to offer. And I wanted to see Mahomes. This is the new dynasty in the NFL. Right, you had Brady and the Patriots. Now you got Mahomes and the Chiefs. I'm like, ah, here's my chance, here's my shot. And I see him hobbling off the field on Monday night, I'm like, if this f that, blah blah blah blah. I mean, I'm going nuts. And then it turns out he was fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And we've seen people in the past with pictures of Patrick with his shirt off and stuff like that, and people have put that picture out there on social media making fun of his quote unquote dad Bod. But that was very much dad Bod power, because you ain't flexible if you're DK Metcalf and you're all cut up, like you had an allergic reaction to something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I mean it was it was nuts because I watching him was like, Wow, he's I'm gonna watch Carson Wentz. I'm flying to Kansas City to watch Carson Chiefs And I was like, I don't who wants that. Nobody wants that. I saw him with the Rams last year. You know, he's a backup, That's what he is. He's a backup at this point. So anyway, he will be playing, and as far as I know, everyone will be there. I don't know. If you know my friend Tabo Swift, you know we're friends unless we're not. Ah, you are a sexy lady. I don't know if she'll be Who knows, who cares. I'm gonna have a good time and I'm looking forward to meeting everyone today again two o'clock till four o'clock over at the Landing in Liberty. I'll be heading over there. My friend Bob Fesco from ninety six point five to the Fan will be there and exciting news.
Speaker 2: Dan.
Speaker 1: Unlike every other Malard meet and greet. To my knowledge, I don't remember ever giving anything away, but I am told from sources close to the situation that the promotions department at ninety six point five the Fan here in Kansas City has provided a handful of merch some t shirts and way, wow, let's go. We will have some merch from the station here in Kansas City. So I'm excited about that and hopefully j T will make it. JT the Wingman's said he'll be here. I've had RSVPs. I said this yesterday, and I always repeat this caveat people say hey, I'm going to be there, and then like life gets in the way, right, life gets in the way, they don't end up doing it. But I've had people from Iowa, from Texas, all over parts of Missouri and Kansas, which is right across the way here, who have said their planning and coming out. So we'll see who shows up. But either way, as always is to be great. The people at the landing have been so wonderful over the years. And this is two different restaurants this family has owned in Kansas City, and they've had the Mallard chicken fingers on the menu at both establishments, and so it's it's pretty cool. So that's what's going on today, and then you know, at some point, I do think I have to sleep, Danny. I didn't sleep on Thursday. I didn't sleep on Friday because I did the overnight show. I did the podcast and then I had to run to the airport to fly here. Not that I'm complaining. It just sounds like I'm complaining. It just sounds like, but I'm not really complaining. These are good problems to have, right, There were much worse problems, and we had a rough week, Danny, Right with some friends of ours, you know, unfortunately lost their job or whatnot this week, and so that that was always tough. So it's a good problem to have. I'm not complaining. It sounds like I'm going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there were a lot of November layoffs, unfortunately in our business, and it posed the question I saw on Facebook. Somebody asked because they work for one of the major broadcast companies, and they said, would you rather be laid off before Christmas or after Christmas.
Speaker 1: I've actually thought about this because I got laid off after Christmas. I got laid off on January twentieth of nine, was when I met my maker in radio the last time. The last time I met my maker, which is has been fifteen years almost. But I've determined after a minutes long mallor investigation, Danny, there is no good time to get let go. No, no, there's no I mean, whether it's before Christmas or after Christmas. If you love your job and you think you're doing a good job and you're helping the company out and you're earning your money, there is no good time to be like, oh, and I you know, it was a weird week because, as you said, a lot of people in our industry lost their job this week. And I sleep during the day as you know, you know, you work the shift, and so I wake up too, and I thought, you know, did somebody in my family die or something like that. It was my phone was just filled with with text messages from from my friends in radio, like hey, did you hear this guy lost their job? Or that you know that woman over there he's gone, And so it was, uh, is not what you want to wake up to. But it's nobody died. As far as I know, nobody died. They let's you know, work somewhere else, or we get podcast jobs, which is normally what happens right when you leave radio, you just move into the podcast space, and that's kind of what you do. But we're doing both, right. We got the podcast and the radio, so we've got the best of both worlds right here. Yeah, So when we get whacked. They'll say, but you're still going to be on your podcast. Yeah, I say, all right, Well, as long as you're paying the full amount, I will be more than happy to the podcast. No, no questions asked, no questions asked. So this past week, you know, we're hanging out. We're excited about to meet and read. But this past week hanging out. On Saturday, I had a very full day, a very full day, a lot lot going on. I had to do some things with the wife in the morning. We're driving all over the place, and then we were going to go play miniature golf. On Saturday. I had not seen my cousin. She's been sick for a while. She had some medical stuff, but she's feeling better now. She was like, hey, you know, she lives in one of the few cousins I have in the area. Pretty Much everyone in my family, my side of the family, has just relocated, either they've died or they've relocated far away from California. So my cousin, she said, she was feeling better. She's got two little kids who even though we're cousins, the little kids call me Uncle Benny, which is I get a kick out I'm uncle Benny, even though I'm not not their uncle, but when you're a little kid, everyone is older is like an uncle. So we were going to go play miniature golf and we had a very very rare and inappropriate spat of rain. It wasn't really rain, it was more like it was like a drizzle type situation. You know. It wasn't much, but it was enough where of course the people didn't want to go miniature golfing because that's outside and God forbid you standing in a little moisture. And so we decided to change it up and we went to the place right next door to the fund Zone, which was a bowling alley. I have not been bowling in at least ten years, and it was on. It was on Benny the bowler returned and I used to love bowling back in the desk. Number one participation sport in America, and I had not been in a bowling alley, Danny you forever. And I walked into place was packed people having a great time drinking beer and you know, eating nachos and just wonderful, great energy in the bowling alley, and it's like, this is the perfect sport. You sit around most of the time. You eat, you drink, and then every once in a while you go and your fut's around with the ball and you and you roll the ball down. But it was so embarrassing. So I had my my my sister in law was there, my cousin, and all the little kids that are in my circle, right, all the little kids and talking like from age like four or five to like nine tennish in that area. There's a bunch of kids. Actually there's one a couple of years older, like twelve or thirteen.
Speaker 3: Orders.
Speaker 1: So we're all there and I come out, you know, I'm mister sports guy. You know, I'm you know, a sports radio guy, and I grab that bowling ball and I go down there and right in the gutter. Uh and uh So then I get, you know, the ball comes back and I'm I go and right in the gutter again, and the kids are mocking me. The kids are like, oh yeah, what happened? You know, everyone's mocking me. Uh and so. But eventually it was about halfway through the round that I figured out I remembered just muscle memory, Danny, it's muscle memory with this, like you I didn't bold and so long it was a disaster at first. It was so embarrassing.
Speaker 3: I thought I was going to ask you at first, because that's a really bad game to be cold with, to have not practiced in a long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was embarrassing. And it was even more embarrassing when, like the little kids now, they did cheat. They use they had the bumpers, which I'm not gonna do. I'm not gonna lie to you. At one point it was so bad, they the people I was with, mocked me and turned on the bumper. They turned on the little bumpers so the ball wouldn't go in the gutter. I am such a radio loser. Yeah. The kids were actually doing better than I was, and they were like kind of giving me the side eye. What's wrong with you? You know, you're old, You're an old, old loser, and uh you know, look at us, you know we're little kids, and uh so it was so funny. I love I love the little ones, little munchkins, because you know, I'm sitting with the adults and you know they're boring, So I go hang out with the kiddos. Right, and my my niece, she says, you're not allowed to be over here. Uncle, Benny, you're old, you know you gotta go hang up. So she kicked me out, and I'm like, crap. So I had to do the walk across to the other side. And but it was it was a lot of fun. I had a great time. And I plan on. I guess I'm I'm really getting old now, Danny. I plan on bowling semi regularly. That's that's the goal. It's not that expensive. It's fun. And it's not that you get any exercise, because you don't. There's no exercise. You just take a couple of steps and fling the ball. But it's it's great. And maybe I'll just like buy a bowling shirt. That's like the next thing after you get into bowling. You have to have like a bowling shirt and buy your own bowling shoes and all that and that how that works.
Speaker 3: I think, Wow, I just pictured you as Uncle Buck pretty much.
Speaker 1: I'm head in that direction at this point in my life. I am absolutely hitting that direction. So I I had a great time. It's now my concern. I was saying about this as I was I was coming into the studio the other night. When I when I went in, I was thinking about my weekend you know. And I was trying to process what I wanted to share with you the listener here on the podcast, and and I'm thinking, like, is that just because I hadn't been bowling a long time that I liked the bowling, you know what I mean? Or is it do I did I genuinely like the bowling? Or was it just a product of the fact that I hadn't done it? So it was kind of different, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: One of those things, Now, are you better at ax throwing or bowling?
Speaker 1: How dare you listen? That was? That was bull crap video that you saw of the act throwing and the real ones that were there that they did not try to sabotage me. No, that by the end of that night at the Mermaid, I was pretty good. I was pretty good at throwing axes. And I'm like a Paul Bunyan type axe thrower at this particular point, I am. And if that ever, you know, I don't know what's gonna happen today, Dan, we're here in Kansas City for the Mala meat greed. I don't think they have axe throwing at the landing, and I don't know, maybe they do, probably not but if there's any kind of nonsense here, there will be anarchy, Danny, but not that kind of anarchy, if you know what I mean. You know what I'm saying. Okay, I'm just pointing that out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you better take everybody's cell phones away, like Derek Cheeter.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I'll have a little with your basket when you come into the landing today, Like put your phone right there and zip it. It'll be like a like a Diddy party, right, No party, like a Diddy parties. Lebron said, there.
Speaker 3: No campus, no campus, Yeah, Ben, this is obviously a political podcast. Wrong, third Rail, my man. So you were on the air when Trump gave his speech, right.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, we were on the air. Now. I didn't really bring it up, but we were on when he announced that he was going to return to the White House. He's coming back.
Speaker 3: I was live on the radio with you the first time Trump was elected. Do you remember that, and we simulcasted his speech.
Speaker 1: I vaguely remember that. I just remember from that time the craziness of people freaking out that they never thought he would win the first time, and it was kind of similar. I felt like this time then, politics, my man, Third Rail, my man.
Speaker 3: But yeah, well, you know, some people were scared that there would be problems out there on these streets, and I think all of us were like, hey, we can be adults here. If your candidate didn't win, hopefully you could act like an adult, not go out and burn a bus and push a car over with some help from friends, riot, loot and pollute. I'm not panicked, but I was confused because the morning after, I'm scrolling through the news on my phone and I'm reading different articles about the numbers and how everything happened late.
Speaker 1: At night, and I smelled smoke outside. Jerk yourself away, what.
Speaker 3: Is going on? So I open up my patio door. It smelled like the mountain next to us was on fire. Well, now you just can't leave crap. I go to the Ventura County Star online, and sure enough, there is a huge mountain fire. That's even what they're calling it, the mountain fire. But turns out, I don't think this has anything to do with what happened in politics. Huge fire though, ben And in fact, early on this Saturday morning, I'm inside a taco bell in my area that's open early for breakfast. Last weekend, I'm at some nice hotel in Seattle doing this podcast with you, right, yeah, yeah, not so much this week. It's kind of our life in radio one week or five Star in the next week. We're PBJ.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You know, this reminds me when I was doing local radio. They sent us to the World Series. We're in Cleveland, me and the great Jeff Biggs. So I've had on a podcast and we didn't make it to the broadcast location. So this is so long ago, Dan, you'll appreciate this. We broadcast from this like skid Row Hotel. There were two payphones next to each other, and we called up on we were each on a different payphone. We called up and did our show from payphones in Cleveland. And it was October, it was cold, it was fall, you know that that old thing. And uh yeah, I mean, well, that's the great thing about audio content, right, you have to the show must go on. You have to do the show. We have to do the show, and so you have gone above and beyond the call of duty.
Speaker 3: These winds have been whipping around so crazy. Our power has been off here and there, and internet definitely is a problem. In fact, the Starbucks they've been closed two days in a row with a handwritten sign that says closed because of fires.
Speaker 1: Wonderful. Wonderful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, real professional sign on their front door. So y, so I'm broadcasting bright and early from this taco bell about to get me a scrambled egg burrito here. Ben, you know, the podcast goes on no matter what happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the show must go on. The show must go on. And with that, Danny, I present to you one of the great quotes of our time. Marie Antoinette must be proud, the famous quote she supposedly said when she heard that the commoners had no bread, she said, famously, let them eat cake. And I feel like that's what the listeners of the Overnight Show have said to me. Let them eat cake on the Ben Malor Show. So we ate very well.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: We have had a problem getting our mail. It has been well documented. I don't know where the mail goes when you send it to Fox Sports Radio. We have a mail room, but oftentimes we never actually get the mail in the mail room. I don't know. It must be like a second hidden mail room. So people have been saying, hey, we sent you some stuff and then we never got it, and we were kind of annoyed by that, and we're like, oh, what is that all about? And all of a sudden, I think it was Monday or Tuesday. This week we got the mother load of mail and we did eat a lot of cake, and not just cake, all kinds of desserts. Some of it was hand delivered. My right hand was getting a workout. I want to thank Darren. We call him Donut Darren on the show, a big fan, lives in the OC and he works out at the Port of la And even though he's a Giants fan, I like the guy. Seems like a nice guy, and he stopped by. He knows from listening to this podcast on the radio show that I've been dying to get my hands on an apple fritter donut. I've tried for about a month. Every time I've gone to the donut shop, they're out of apple fritters. It's been very upsetting to me. And so Donut Darren's like, Hey, I know a place it's open twenty four hours. I'll go buy a dozen donuts and I'll drive him and deliver them. And that's exactly what Darren did. He'd stop by and it was great to you know. He told some stories about his life and he's growing up. He's probably around our age, Danny, give her take. And he would go to games at Candlestick Park than in the frozen Tundra where the Giants played for so many years and the forty nine ers s. We're telling stories about that. And he hung out with us, and so I got my apple fritter. I had a bare claw. Just just wonderful, just great. Love the donuts, in fact, that donut shop, which I thought he worked for, but he does, and he works. He works at the Port of La is so good. I'm probably gonna go back there. It's in Huntington Beach and I'll probably go back at some point. Then I really want to thank as well Michael from Providence, who's a super fan of the show, super p one of the show better known though as The Dawn of Little Debbie and every four months or so. I'm not sure exactly what Michael does. I assume he works as a distributor for Little Debbie, but I don't know, maybe not, Maybe he's just he knows people, but he hooks us up with whatever the seasonal treats are from Little Debbie. For example, he sent a box which was about the size of the state of Rhode Island where he's from. Well, you know, he said, it's a small box, but if it's the size of the road, it's pretty big, right compared to us. So he sent and it was filled with all the Halloween Little Debbie treats with the pumpkins on them and all that stuff. And he also sent a couple of cool T shirts. His son is on the offensive line at the high school there in his town in Rhode Island, and so he sent me a high school T shirt. Was was kind of cool, and you know, I looked it up. I was always curious with these high schools because every high school, if you've been around as a high school for like forty or more years, chances are somebody went to that high school that ended up doing something of note, whether they are a politician or entertainer or athlete, musician. Chances are, over two generations at least one or two people made it. You know, you go to places like town's in Rhode Island where they've been around forever and ever compared to the West Coast. So this high school in Rhode Island turns out to be the one that our friend, Michael's son is playing football at is the same high school that produced Joe Missoula, the head coach of the Celtics, and Rocco bal Delhi, the Minneso Twins managers. So that was kind of cool, like, wow, there's been some interesting cats, some other NFL people, baseball people went to this high school, this random high school in Rhode Islands, a small town in Rhode Island, and very cool. He also sent me a T shirt from there's this ren restaurant. I don't even know what I don't know what kind of business it was, but it was named Benny's. Maybe it was a restaurant and it was it was named Benny's, and somebody had sent I think it was Alf had sent the logo. He sent a photo months ago, and Michael's like, Hey, I think I can get you a shirt that has the logo from this place called Benny's on it, which is no longer in business. And I said, boy, that would be pretty cool. I'd add that to my shirt collection. Now have a lot of shirts I wear when I'm getting ready for the show, kind of during the day, my lounge around the house shirts. And so he tracked this thing down and he sent it to me. So I added a couple of a couple of T shirts. But wait, there's more. Wait there's more, Danny, Because I would like to think, and I wish I knew who to think. Some cops from New York, upstate New York sent a box. Now this box was the size of like Lake Erie. But it was not to me. It was not to me, Danny, it was to Lorraina. So it's the one that had duct tape on it. I think that, Yeah, I think that's the one you saw. There were a couple of boxes, but I think that's the way tip right, massive right. I'm not gonna lie, Danny. That was a big cock. Dare you the uh she opens about and and they they they guess they're police officers. I guess one of them is no longer a police officer, and he he works in the snack industry, the snack food industry. So this box was filled with chips and cookies, and I mean they were all kinds of things in there, and Loraina shared with everybody, so we all got a bunch of chips and cookies and snacks and uh whatnot. And so I want to thank them. I I don't know your names. I don't remember, so I can't you didn't send it to me, so I can't give you the old fifth hour shout out that we don't can't do anyway because it's not a morning podcast or not Joe Rogan, we can't do shout outs like those those people do. But so thank you, and I uh, I'm still waiting. By the way, I remember during COVID we were yapping away and I had a couple of couple of police officers that were like, I'm going to send you a hat from my station and then because they wanted me to wear it on the YouTube videos. But I never I don't think I ever got those hats. Maybe they were lost in the mail or something. Maybe that's it. But it was great. So we had a lot of fun this week. Good food. We had Manuel from Guardina came by and he had delicious sandwiches. So we had sandwiches, we had donuts, we had cookies, we had chips. I mean, we had a little bit of everything, and it was awesome.
Speaker 3: Manuel dude is a famous AM five seventy caller.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he's a Jim Rome guy and he goes way back and he mean, we're dating ourselves. But he listened to me when I was starting out as a young whipper snapper, when I was doing the old original Ben and Dave Show in the late nineties. So that's almost thirty years that he's been listening. And yeah, he came by. He also is a long shortman, and he brought his buddy with him, who is also and works at the works at the Port of LA. I have a feeling we do. We do very well at the Port of LA. We should just do a remote like at one in the morning from the Port of Los Angeles. We would kill it in terms of listenership because those guys, I mean the apparently nothing else on and they listen to us as they're moving commerce from from Asia. All right, we'll get out on that, Danny. Today is a big day for me. Two till four, Malard, Meet and greet. If you're here in Kansas City or within reasonable driving distance, I'm looking forward to meeting you. Come on down say hello. We'll be there for a couple hours at least, and don't forget T shirts from our local affiliate here in Kansas City. Ninety six point five to the fan, and I'll be there. My friend Bob Fesco, the big morning radio guy here, he'll be there as well, so really excited to see. Hopefully you can come out and hang out with us and we can catch up and whatnot. And Danny, godspeed with your WiFi, and hopefully everything will come back to normal soon enough. But thank you for going above and beyond the call of duty and making a run to the border for some taco bell.
Speaker 3: Yes, and I'm sure pretty soon I'll be making a run to the bathroom on this fine Saturday.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, just make sure you flush and use the proper amount of toilet paper on that. We'll talk to you next time later. Skater by Flat