Speaker 1: Hi, Welcome to Desperately Devoted.
Speaker 2: The Ultimate Desperate Housewives rewatch, hosted by me, Terry Hatcher, my on screen daughter Andrea Bowen, and my real life daughter Emerson Tenny.
Speaker 3: This week we are talking about episode seven.
Speaker 2: Anything You Can Do, which aired November twenty First, can you say thousand four?
Speaker 3: Can you say anything you can do? Without saying I can do better?
Speaker 4: I can't?
Speaker 3: I sing, AMC Yeah, I feel compelled to get up in taplates.
Speaker 5: That's not really part of a podcast, is it.
Speaker 4: I mean it could be.
Speaker 2: This This episode, I have to say, is a huge episode, and it is the first episode where I went, oh shit, I want to binge this hole right.
Speaker 3: So much happens in this I mean I actually paused it twenty minutes in and I looked at it because I was like, this is crazy. I could not believe how much was happening. At twenty minutes in, which is halfway into the show, you already had Rex serving Bree divorce papers. You had Lynette dubiously scrounging around for more adhdmons, and you had Susan's first official date with Mike totally foiled by this mysterious new girl. And you had Gabby's mother in law finally get onto her affair. I mean that all happened in twenty minutes. What happened in the other twenty minutes.
Speaker 1: I know we'll talk about it today.
Speaker 6: Yes, yeah, yeah, this specific episode is just a masterclass in deepening all of the lead characters' personal stories while continuing to move the mystery plot along.
Speaker 2: There's so much to get into, and I know that we always like to start with sharing what we found to be our most desperate moments that we're looking forward to talking about when we get into this episode.
Speaker 4: Yes, what was it for you?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: I think for me, I mean it is hard, but I think for me the stress that Lynette is going through and her exhaustion and she's struggling to keep up with her own expectations of herself. I know we touched on it a little bit, that character's like it's starting to explode, you know, from the last episode. But I just find that to be a compelling, relatable issue that just continues to strike me.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, for me, I would say the most desperate moment is it has to be Missus Hooper dragging that poor collapsed jogger over into Bree's yard just to mess up how pristine and perfect from yards. I mean, I really think that missus Huber is the messiest character.
Speaker 4: It really is a messy bitch.
Speaker 2: I hate to say it, Okay, I think I have to say my most desperate moment is Susan jumping into that bull ring, tying up.
Speaker 4: Her shirt and waving that hat over her head.
Speaker 2: Which I've got to tell you is a gift on I think text. If you go to text someone like yeehaw, a photo of you doing that or.
Speaker 1: A little video of you doing and now I know what, I'm incorporating it all.
Speaker 3: Say yehaw much more often than I did I normally did. Yeah, I've seen that gift. It's pretty it's pretty funny that that's kind of made it into the whatever.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Anyways, so okay, great, well this is going to be a big one.
Speaker 5: So's okay.
Speaker 3: I totally agree with the whole Hydrangea lawn situation.
Speaker 4: Was unrivaled open in my opinion.
Speaker 5: It really, it really is, and just.
Speaker 3: The idea of setting the whole thing up of competition in general. I mean, we were talking a little bit in the last episode about women supporting women or not supporting women, and and and then now here we are with competition and at its core winning and life and your household being a game that you have to.
Speaker 5: Beat others at and be better. It's sort of amazing.
Speaker 2: And we just we get that shot where you see the as Mary Alice is narrating, you see the one jogger who kind of looks like a normal dad bod suburban jogger, and then so quickly this Adonnis just comes leaping out of.
Speaker 5: A tree, lapping him.
Speaker 2: I love how he starts running harder and harder, obviously culminating in the poor dad bod jogger collapsing hopefully not dead.
Speaker 3: He has an oxygen mascot. As they wheeled him away, they.
Speaker 4: Get a glimmer.
Speaker 1: But I did think it. I did think he had died.
Speaker 2: I mean he looked pretty dead in the wheelbarrow that Missus Hooper was wheeling over to breeze lawn.
Speaker 1: Oh man, missus again.
Speaker 3: It just you know, we should pick out as scenes and we should. I mean, for sure the naked in the bushes would be one of them. But like we should be making a list because I have her Missus Hooper wheelbarrowing the guy over to the other lawn and then dumping him in the hydrangs is beyond it.
Speaker 6: Is and I completely forgot about it. I mean I shed it feeling like I had never seen this before.
Speaker 3: But again, we weren't there, yeah, when we was being shot, And I always come back to this.
Speaker 5: It's like being in a show that I actually.
Speaker 3: Wasn't in because so much of it happened that I didn't witness being filmed, and so it is exciting to see it. I kind of do wish, you know, I want to say, like to to Christine, like you know.
Speaker 5: What was that?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 5: Was it hard to push that guy?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: You know, where the wheels rusty on that wheelbarrel? Every time I've ever tried to wheel anything in a wheelbarrel, it's not that easyasy you know, she really.
Speaker 5: Just down sidewalk.
Speaker 3: I also made me think, do you guys remember in other episodes there have been comments about lawns, like I think, Yeah, Freeze character says something about loving what Mary Alice did with the lawn, and it made me think. We've talked about the writer's room, and we've talked about our fantasy that these writers are having so much fun writing things for John the gardener about you know, his tube socks and his rubber ducky and his and his cheerleading squaws, his math class and his algebra questions. And it made me think somebody in that writing room is obsessed with lawns.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean it is the perfect analogy for the grass is always greener on the other neighbors. Jamerson, Yeah, I also have to say big shout out to the Raiders. But also Larry Shaw directed this episode, and I was gagged at.
Speaker 4: Some of the directing choices.
Speaker 2: It started with when the body is dumped on Breezelawn, and then we get the ambulance coming, and then we have all these flashing shots, like very quick cut flashing shots that look like it's an NCIS episode, like a crime scene of the various ways that the hydrangeas and the grass have been torn up.
Speaker 3: Right, And that is the directorial You're right, that was him Probably.
Speaker 2: The other directorial choice that I don't know if this is going to become a recurring motif and the rest of the show.
Speaker 1: Do you hope it does?
Speaker 2: I no, personally no, And this is no shade at Larry Shaw, but it was a very distinct storytelling choice that as we move, and this is a rapid pace episode, so it deserves these you know, propulsive quick camera movements forward. But as we cut for each woman's storyline into the next storyline, there are these crazy swooshing whippans, oh the whippans over the picket fences, which we have never seen before, to intersperse the different character storylines. And it happens upwards of three or four or five or six times in the episode. And every single time I screamed aloud, I was like, oh my god, Okay, that's.
Speaker 3: I didn't I didn't notice it either. That's so interesting, super you know. I ran into Larry Shaw not that long ago. I had a nail salon in Studio City.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, my love.
Speaker 3: And he's a new grand father, like a first time grandfather. I think that maybe he was saying the baby was like a year old and I was getting my nails done, and I think he was going to get a pedicure. He might have been getting a massage or something.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: He sort of walked, but we totally caught up, and you know, just like, so good to see your Larry.
Speaker 2: Arry.
Speaker 3: I have good I have such good feelings about Larry. Larry and I had a thing. This is well, yeah, it's not a thing. We didn't have a thing. Sorry, I didn't mean no, we didn't have as.
Speaker 5: We didn't have a thing. But you talk about you know.
Speaker 3: You work for like fourteen fifteen, sixteen hours and sometimes you're just so loopy on these things. And I don't know why, but it is why we talked about this. But it is crazy that I remember it twenty years later. For some reason. We got on a conversation about when you sleep in your bed and how wonderful the feeling is when your foot finds a cool section.
Speaker 4: That is honestly one of the joys of being a human, right, it really is.
Speaker 3: It is completely one of the joys of being a human, finding the cool spot in the bed in the middle of the night with your foot. And this is a conversation Larry Shaw and I had twenty something years ago. And I still when I think of Larry Shaw, I think of cool sheets.
Speaker 5: Oh not whippans. I bet you would like that.
Speaker 6: You know. I have to say I have known Larry Shaw longer than I have known either of you.
Speaker 4: Oh, oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So he directed the season before Desperate Housewives. I was on a television show that was a very short lived ABC show called That was Then, and it was a great show. We only got to shoot eight episodes. It was canceled after two. But Larry Shaw directed on that, so I met him prior to Desperate Housewives, and then he went on to be a longtime director of Desperate Housewives and producer as well.
Speaker 3: So I always liked his personality. Yeah, I liked his vision and I liked.
Speaker 4: His I liked his vision too. I just the Whippans got me.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna have to go back and look at that again, but I did because we touched on how competition is a major theme in this episode, and I was curious if you guys identify as competitive.
Speaker 3: Well, I've written down here in my like notes everyone.
Speaker 4: Which there was no competition about the listeners.
Speaker 3: I have to let everybody know that. Emerson was just sort of grilling me about. She's like, mom, those don't look like that looks like a writing and like look walk text. I just can't, which is weird because how could I possibly pay attention to could you possible by reading it?
Speaker 1: Which is which is what she's going to do.
Speaker 3: Heart know, maybe I don't want to read this, but let's see, this is what I wrote, okay when I paused before twenty minutes, probably closer to five. I just have always been really hard on myself. I feel like that's who I've competed with the most and probably not been the kindest too. And it goes on, but I don't.
Speaker 2: I that was the gist of an looked so much longer it is.
Speaker 5: I know it's much much longer.
Speaker 3: It says, you know, like when when it comes up in my life, and it feels like it comes up a lot when you know that you're winning or you're beating somewhat.
Speaker 5: See, this is why I'm not.
Speaker 4: You don't keep getting out of it.
Speaker 3: But I do feel like competition does come up a lot. It has to, and I mean especially in our business, but for me, and I'm so clear on this, whether it's a game of poker, whether it's getting a role, whether it's you know, whatever it is, I am competing against myself and I would I would prefer that everyone could win, Like I don't frame it as aha, I beat you, right, even if I do win something that is framed as like there's a winner and there's a not winner. I don't perceive it like I was better than the not winner. I perceive it like I did something well enough to be recognized. So I'm really not comfortable with winning, you know, with with I, But I'm very comfortable with doing my best, and.
Speaker 4: You do your best very hard.
Speaker 2: At running trade game nights, she is very into doing her best.
Speaker 4: But again, no, but I would, I would use that example.
Speaker 3: It isn't about beating the other team. It's about solving the puzzle. I get very excited at about games. I love puzzles like crazy, you know, but the it isn't about going we kicked that other team's ass, like we It's not that. It's really about, oh my god, we solve all the puzzle, you know.
Speaker 4: Like totally yeah. And I think I think I am the same way.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think I inherently fall on the non competitive side because I am so bad at sports that I and and also kind of like other things like I didn't.
Speaker 1: I've never seen you be bad at anything.
Speaker 4: But that's because I only do so many things. I said this to someone the other day.
Speaker 2: I was like, if I wasn't a writer, I don't know what else I would do, And I think I think I I do in games, in in sports, and if the rare occasion I go bowling with friends or something, I recognize like, this is not my lane literally and metaphor, this is not my lane where I expect to win. So I'm really here to have a fun time. I'm here to be supportive of other people who are more likely to win. But I think when it comes to things that I do feel skilled at. You know, when it comes to if I'm writing a script, I am competitive not with other writers, because what is the point of that. Everyone has their own voice, everyone is telling their own story. I could never tell someone else's story.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 2: I once had someone ask me in a Q and A for an animated short that I wrote and directed.
Speaker 4: They said, and it was an interesting question.
Speaker 2: She said, how are you the only like, how come you are the only person who could tell this story?
Speaker 4: And I said, you know, I'm I'm not. I don't think that I am.
Speaker 2: I'm sure there are many other people who could tell versions of this story, and they wouldn't tell it in the way I told it, just like I wouldn't tell it in the way that they would tell it. But I've told this story in the way I've told it, and I think I've tried to do it to the best of my ability.
Speaker 4: And that's what makes it. You know, this piece of work.
Speaker 3: And then see it's the world that then takes that piece of work and compares it to another piece of work and another piece of work and says which one is the best piece of work? And then suddenly you're in a competition that you didn't even want to be in.
Speaker 4: Well, which is you know? And of course we compare things all the time.
Speaker 2: It's how we make decisions about what you know, detergent we're gonna buy in the grocery store, or you know, what job we're gonna take or not take, or audition for or go up with a writing sample for. But I do think I'm competitive with myself. When I feel like I could do something better, or if I feel like I've underperformed of what my own expectations of myself are, I can be very hard on myself, and I do work on that.
Speaker 6: I love that both of you compete with yourselves. I consider myself competitive, and not necessarily in the good way.
Speaker 3: That she comes from six brothers and we're both only children. So maybe there's Yeah, I'm just sitting alone and know something about we only did compete with ourselves.
Speaker 1: Right, I think there might be.
Speaker 5: I think there might be.
Speaker 6: Because I I do like a healthy competition. I feel like it fuels me in an exciting way and not in a mean spirited way ever, because I'm also a big rooter for the underdog. You know, like, even if I'm watching a sports game that I'm invested in and I have a team or a side and they win, Instead of celebrating that and feeling.
Speaker 1: Good about that, I do feel like, what about the other team?
Speaker 6: They're probably so disappointed, and so I have that but you know, a segue because you happen to mention the only child thing. I actually think this ties in a little bit to a Susan storyline that I want to talk about, which is this Susan getting ready for her first date and Susan and Julie have a scene while she's getting ready where Julie asks Susan if she's packed protection and Susan.
Speaker 4: Says a crazy conversation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a crazy conversation.
Speaker 6: And Susan says, I can't believe you asked me that, or something like that, and then Julie says, well, I ask because I enjoy being an only child. And I just thought, as someone who has so many siblings and I can't understand what it was like to grow up as an only child. I would love to hear a little bit more about your experience as being an only child.
Speaker 4: Well, honestly, I love being an only child.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I also don't know anything different, and so I am a big believer in you know, what is the point of wanting or regretting things that aren't gonna happen or have already happened. You know, I am not gonna not be an only child. So maybe I've just made peace with it, and that's why I enjoy it.
Speaker 4: I love kids.
Speaker 2: I mean, I worked as a kindergarten teacher all through college. I think there's a part of me that I mean, I really relish the opportunity to kind of be a faux big sister to my friends' younger siblings.
Speaker 4: I think I would have loved to have had.
Speaker 2: A sibling, or at least my fantasy idea of having a sibling. But I also think I am definitely the person that I am in some part because I was an only child, and I did get to, you know, kind of dictate what I was interested in doing, and my parents were really supportive of that and didn't have to factor in maybe what my sibling also was interested in doing, or two siblings were interested in doing. And I do think they did a very good job of helping me learn how to how to share things. Although I will say I write, I like writing, I think because I am in control of building a world myself and I and you know, and then it becomes very collaborative when you get a director involved and you get producers involved in those notes. But I think I am very comfortable by myself, and that is a tendency I think I acquired as an only child, and I sometimes need I sometimes will like look at my girlfriend or look at my friend Andy, be like, Okay, I actually really need I need alone time. Now I think about actually I'm thinking about mom, when I used to play barbies with you.
Speaker 4: Oh gosh, oh.
Speaker 2: My god, this is okay, this is actually like nightmare only child behavior. When I was a little kid, I would play dolls with my mom and we'd each be at all and she would go, okay, and now this Barbie is going to the grocery store, and I would go, know she isn't. She would go, oh, okay, she's gonna go to her friend's house and I would know she isn't. And my mom would go, Okay, well what is she going to do? And I would go, well, I don't know, but that's not what she's gonna do. I was already trying to control writing the story.
Speaker 3: I do kind of remember to the point of being like, listen, if I'm going to try to create these stories to play a game with you, and you're just gonna keep shutting me down, have you not been to the improv class? And exactly yes, and logic of story telling because I'm just gonna go drink some wine.
Speaker 5: If you're going to keep it up with the nose. She's not a vet.
Speaker 3: Wow, she's not a hurt.
Speaker 5: I mean, you.
Speaker 6: Get your real job, you get it at home from Wow.
Speaker 3: Your grandpa really put up with that. But he had the most endless he was retired. No, he had the most endless patience for that. I would definitely get to the point where I'd be like, if you don't, I don't know what to say, but you're not letting me tell the story that's very funny.
Speaker 4: That is a very well child.
Speaker 3: And I really always wished for siblings.
Speaker 5: But I been a household that was, you.
Speaker 3: Know, not not particularly pleasant or happy or playful, loving or Yeah. I mean, there was a lot of stress and discourse and yelling. And I think I really crave two things. One for my parents to get divorced because I thought maybe they'd be happier because there was just no happening.
Speaker 1: That's so much for your little it was a lot.
Speaker 3: And then too that there would be somebody else there that I could sort of weather it with, and there wasn't. So yeah, it's I mean, we could get a therapist in here, and you could do it about the certainly, as you said, you can't go back, you can't change it whatever. So you look at what you got out of it. And for sure what I got out of it was, you know, some some independence, some self like like I just made things happen myself, you know what I mean, like like, and that's it can be good and bad, but it is a characteristic of somebody I think that's successful.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So ye, Andrea, if you only have one child.
Speaker 1: Right, okay, she'll be more than Okay.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Well, so back in the in the storyline of talking about as we continue to weave our way with competition being an overarching theme here, we then have the scene with Tom and Lynette where Tom asks her to throw an impromptu dinner party for his colleagues, and in that conversation he ends up comparing her to the one and only breeand acam right, And of course you can tell instantly that that is not going to go over well for Tom.
Speaker 2: I mean, Tom is honestly a piece of work. In this scene, I am like, Tom, come on, how.
Speaker 5: Great is this where you actually wrote something down?
Speaker 2: When you do that, I didn't have that that happens later, Okay, but no, I think I just I was really I was frustrated at Tom, and more than frustrated, you know what, I was disappointed in him.
Speaker 3: I know we said this maybe an episode two or episode three, that like, the men are really standing out to me as their character development happens, and in a way that I think when we were shooting it, we were so absorbed in like what the women's storylines were and also what was happening to us as a show in the real world that I don't know that I I don't know, considered, especially since I didn't work with Doug and I didn't work with Mark, and I didn't work with Ricardo. Like I wasn't really considering. I wonder what their journey is like on this, But when you look at it, all that comes up for me is how did Doug do this? He must have felt like such an ass, right, Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 6: And it's kind of interesting because as a viewer, I have to say that I can recognize the behavior is bad, and yet I still find Tom to be very likable.
Speaker 1: I think that, do you know, amazing ability as.
Speaker 6: A performer to to straddle both of those lines.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in some ways their marriage is my favorite marriage.
Speaker 4: On the show.
Speaker 2: Even though in this moment I found found myself going and I think it is because, speaking of competition, I am so competitive with myself that I really felt for Lynette in this moment because I feel like when I am in the process of working on something and I have all of my own self criticisms in my head and all of the different bars I've set for myself in my head that I need to achieve at a certain time, and I'm walking around just carrying this universe of competition inside of me, and then one external voice goes, oh, you couldn't do that better?
Speaker 4: That can like completely fell me.
Speaker 1: Right, you know, just Derail, I really.
Speaker 2: I really felt. I feel like Lynette is that type of person as well.
Speaker 6: And of course she's keeping the secret right now that her whole inner world is sort of collapsing as she's utilizing this ADHD medication to get her Yeah, so she's got keeping that from from Tom and so that only his comment only fuels that battle. Whether or not it's a full blown addiction, I don't know, but that that struggle she's having it only fuels it to go even further. And then she takes it on by saying, no, you know what, let's do it. Let's go ahead and have that. Let's go ahead and have that dinner party and see which see how it goes.
Speaker 2: Oh god, I just feel and we have we have so many different storylines kind of getting fueled to go even further. You know, we have the women showing up to the book club, which.
Speaker 3: By the way, I no, no, you got I was just gonna say I didn't remember that at all.
Speaker 2: Oh really no, clearly because you saw the movie and you didn't read the book.
Speaker 3: I loved that all the housewives were just like flipping through it, trying to get to the back page as fast as we did.
Speaker 1: Solve one thing. The baby's back. Lynnette's baby is in that scene.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, you are Sonette is pushing a stroller and so there is a apparently allegedly a baby in there.
Speaker 2: So some producer got in there and I was like, it's actually been seven episodes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, the baby, the baby. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I didn't remember there being a book club on Wisteria Lane, and I would bet you guys twenty dollars that we don't have a book club again in this season.
Speaker 2: Well, clearly you're using it as an excuse for wine. And then also to split off into the little click, which I love when Brie, again Brie, with all of the amazing moments, does so you helped me with the appetizers, and then she shuts the other woman whoever they are, who are they in the kitchen and turns back and says, you know, okay, what is going on? Right?
Speaker 3: And Susan reveals what she found out from Julie about Zach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the mysterious Dana name, which we will find out, you know, a potential lead of who that relates to later when Lynette and Susan find the blanket.
Speaker 4: In her garage.
Speaker 2: So we have that going on, and then across the street we have Paul, who they're all talking about. Who's hired this p I right, which is actually my favorite line comes from our wonderful private Investigators have.
Speaker 1: The same favorite line.
Speaker 4: Again, I get to say this.
Speaker 2: You said last week that's right, and I'm not competitive. No, my favorite line was when he looks at Paul and he goes sometimes evil drives a minivan.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's so good. That's my favorite line.
Speaker 6: And I love when, and this has happened a few times for us, when the guest stars or the recurring characters are the ones who have our favorite lines. I just think that's so cool that our writers wrote everyone so well that it wasn't only reserved for the main cast. You know, that wealth of interesting, exciting, fiery, funny dialogue was really spread out evenly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it also puts you as a writer if I feel like they are creating a world that all exists in the same tone, you know, all not the characters all sound very distinct, which of course, is the hallmark of a good writer to have distinct different characters' voices, but I feel like they speak and exist in a similar, somewhat heightened reality. That then makes the whole show work because everyone's existing on the same plane of that somewhat soapy but also grounded world that everyone's buying into.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's tricky but wonderful.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So then we've got Bri and Rex that they are called into the principal's office.
Speaker 4: They need to be called into the principles.
Speaker 3: And I love this scene. I loved the different points of view of the of Brie and Rex. I mean, because their son punches somebody and breaks his nose, I guess.
Speaker 4: Their son is struggling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and and and in a real way. I mean, I think kids going through divorce can have a really hard time, especially when they're older, and they and they you know, and I don't think this is a family that's very good at expressing and communicating their feelings obviously, so I'm sure that only makes it worse.
Speaker 2: But I mean, it's it is. I guess classic how one parent has this. You know, it's not that big of a deal. We can just pay for it and you know, apologize and me and the and and the other one.
Speaker 5: It has a completely other reaction.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I also thought it was interesting from a character development standpoint that once again you have Rex doing revealing something about their personal life in a public way. So him revealing to bree that he went to a divorce attorney and he will be serving her papers that day that day, that happens in front of the principle, It doesn't he And I wonder why can't he do this in a private way, the way that bree clearly has demanded and asked for and expresses a preference for, and he always does it in a public way. And I think it's, like I wondered to myself watching it, is Rex so scared of what Breez's real reaction would be behind closed doors that he.
Speaker 3: Has to do it just so mad. Yeah, and he wants to humiliate her. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Then we get that great cut back to the principal, and I think detention will be okay, you.
Speaker 6: Going on, but yeah, but but but yeah, there's a lot to go with the dynamics between bri and Rex nownavigating the potential dissolution of their marriage and how it relates to their children in this episode.
Speaker 2: And I really felt like in that scene in particular, I think both Brie and Rex are using their son as a vehicle to talk about Rex more than they are to actually talk about their son. You know, Brie is saying someone needs to hold him accountable, someone needs to stand up.
Speaker 4: For his behavior.
Speaker 2: It feels like all of her anger at her husband is being directed onto their sons acting out, and Rex is kind of classically going, I don't think it's that big of a deal. I think maybe he was justified in it. And it feels like he could even be talking about himself a little bit.
Speaker 1: That's super interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then we get back to you brought it up a little bit. Susan and Julie getting ready for the date and the whole looks so pretty in that scene. D that dress is hideous. I actually have my note is wtf? Exclamation point exclamation Can we talk about that dress? Okay?
Speaker 1: On mine in all caps?
Speaker 6: Terry looks amazing in that date dress? What do you remember about where were there multiple choices or was that was that?
Speaker 1: Or do you remember?
Speaker 3: I I don't exactly remember I feel like there probably were some choices, but I I don't think I felt confident in that. Really, No, I don't think so. And then like, look, is that because it was tight? Yeah, I think so. I think I think so. And I'm not sure I was wearing a bra and I think that makes me.
Speaker 5: Up to I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, what it's worth. I got I read.
Speaker 5: What the hell?
Speaker 2: And your hair looked amazing. Yeah, and I just loved the framing of you in the foreground.
Speaker 6: Kind of a nineties vibe, which was, you know, it was obviously two thousand and four, but I felt like it gave great nineties vibes.
Speaker 5: Okay, So my.
Speaker 3: Favorite thing about the thing, yes, is I think we just have to say that this is the point in the story where it becomes very clear that Edie and Susan are going to be the best Foils ever.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I mean yeah, it is like frickin' frack.
Speaker 3: In fact, they should just do the Edie and Susan show because it is really I I don't want to say I didn't remember Nicolette being so good, because I knew she was good, but like it's sort of the way we're I keep talking about Marsha like and I wasn't there for a lot of breeze scenes, but I mean Nicolette's delivery of some of this stuff is just it's just flawless, comedic timing. It's so much fun.
Speaker 6: Yes, since we covered Emerson's favorite line, which happened to also be my favorite line, I'll take this as a very strong backup option because I did think it was fantastic, which is when Edie says, get a load of you. You look so pretty. I hardly recognized you. And Nicolette's delivery was perfect and what a line, what a backhanded compliment.
Speaker 2: And then the physical comedy of how confidently Susan trots across the street in her sexy.
Speaker 4: Little dress and then.
Speaker 2: Mike has his unexpected to visit her when she walks back across the street with the purse in front of her face, like she doesn't want Edie to say anything about it. Yeah, it's just this that really killed.
Speaker 3: But aren't they just great together?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh they're still great. I want the use.
Speaker 4: Of f yi between the two of them.
Speaker 2: I also felt like that was very y two K texting abbreviation.
Speaker 4: Just f yi.
Speaker 6: Yes, yeah, I have to say too, just on a slightly more hefty note. I have this recollection about Susan and the court of public opinion about Susan kind of being the most desperate one or the most at least in the category of love, you know, and maybe.
Speaker 3: That I've heard the annoying okay, okay, or maybe annoying the most.
Speaker 4: And only may.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and that might be true as we continue on and we learn more and more about Susan and whatever. But I have to say, I just want to applaud Susan. I just want to give some kudos to Susan in these early episodes, because she is being really transparent with Mike. You know. She is like when she when when she sees that there's this mysterious hot girl there, hot woman, my.
Speaker 4: God, bending into the convertible and hers.
Speaker 1: And her jeans, and she's just there and beautiful.
Speaker 6: And she could try to be cool in front of Mike, and she could try to act like, oh, I don't care, that doesn't throw me. I'm I'm confident, quote unquote, you know, I'm unflappable, and instead she chooses to say, no, actually, I am a little confused as to what is going on here.
Speaker 1: You know, now you're canceling our date. We finally have a.
Speaker 6: Date, and and she chooses to confront him, and I thought, hey, way to go. That is really cool. And so I felt like that was a great moment for Susan. She was being brave and for flammable, she's not unable.
Speaker 4: I mean I am.
Speaker 2: I am rooting for them to come together because I love you see how much he wants it too. I mean Susan doesn't see it, but we see as the viewer. You know, even the cut back and forth to I loved seeing their various Mic and Susan support systems for getting ready for the date. You've Susan with Julie obviously getting ready. Julie is giving her her time about protection and how she doesn't want to she wants to remain an only child.
Speaker 4: But then you cut to Mike.
Speaker 2: With the dog with the dog and he's asking how he looks, and he's trying on his blazer, and I could.
Speaker 6: Just cry, I could Mike secutity. Mike's acute with a secret, but acuting I.
Speaker 2: Know with a secret that that deepens continually this episode as other secrets. Yes, well, I was going to say Gabby's secret. Mm hm, Wanita is finally onto we have Okay, I need a moment for the red flip phone flip phone that she the rose on the bed that then Wanita picks up and here's John. What does he say, if you're going to talk dirty to me, don't.
Speaker 1: Even try to talk dirty to you know, to make it up to me or something.
Speaker 2: Exactly the worst thing you could say to someone who was very incriminal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did.
Speaker 6: I did have a pang over the flip phones I and I know I think only the BlackBerry. Yeah, I think these things are kind of coming back. I've heard that there might be flip phones back in coming back nowadays. I think there's something very satisfying about hanging up a phone, and we can't do that today's phone.
Speaker 4: Hanging up on someone.
Speaker 6: You know, when you flip the phone closed, it does feel like there's a finality to the conversation you were having in versus just a little like boop with your fingers. So I appreciated the flip phone moment as well, Emerson, I really liked that part.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I also really appreciated the scene between Edie and Paul.
Speaker 4: Oh well, talk about mysteries deepening.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And and I loved the choice that Nicolette made to be putting on lipstick and sort of like to make a casual thing out of talking about someone killing themselves in the house. Yeah, to play that juxtaposition of like, I'm not really paying attention to this, It's more important for me to get my lipstick exactly right. But yes, you can't have a dead person in the house and still sell it for a good price, you.
Speaker 5: Know, like that. Yeah, she did such a good job. Yeah, she really did. She really did.
Speaker 6: And how convenient that we have a realtor right on the block. I thought that, I know, you know, she's right there. You can just say, hey, can you sell the house?
Speaker 2: But even more convenient, he gets the paper exactly she leaves behind her her binder, which has that I love that the private investigator has tracked the paper distributor of the lavender paper that the note has come on. And then we find that blank, blank slip of paper, which it was interesting to me.
Speaker 4: Because in Edie's notebook blank. Yeah, And I was like, was she gonna write another note?
Speaker 2: Did she write the note stationary?
Speaker 3: You could keep your stationary. I think it's her stationary, she gets.
Speaker 1: Her number and all a lot.
Speaker 6: Yes, I think she has it everywhere with her just a little slip so that she can pass around those digits.
Speaker 3: But it's a cool way that the storyline is that mystery part is starting to reveal itself. Yeah, and also the mysterious girl. And this is back to my stopping the thing at twenty minutes going oh my god, like Gabby's mother in law knows she's she's having an affair, Like there's all this mystery that's happening. Lynette's life is blowing up.
Speaker 4: So is Breeze. It was a lot, Yeah, it was a lot.
Speaker 2: It was a jam packed episode. And then we get Rex bribing his children. Yeah, with a car. I mean that's the biggest bribe. I feel like you can give a child who is of driving barely of driving age. And then also with the modeling agency works University for what is it called, it's like New York.
Speaker 4: Model New York.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's name for Danielle, which obviously Gabby has kind of teed up because she wants to get rid of the boyfriend's teenage girls.
Speaker 1: Talk about competition.
Speaker 3: They're not backing off of this teenage affair thing.
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean, I I did actually write down here you go, I said, whoa, wow, Gabby is so predatory in this scene with John. Honestly, it's giving what we would now call the term grooming, even though they didn't have the term for that.
Speaker 4: Then oh wow, yeah, yeah, all the way, it is a little bit.
Speaker 3: I think I agree that I did kind of find myself asking.
Speaker 2: Why you know, so manipulated and you're an adult. I mean, Gabby's character, isn't it just But.
Speaker 6: Here's something I had written down, which is that Gabrielle which says to John on the phone, Oh, that sounds like you're it sounds like you have a date. Well, I have a problem with you seeing other girls, And I wrote down I think it's very interesting she uses the term girls as though she's including herself, you know, and like why I mean, she of course can't use the word women because Danielle is not, you know, a woman, She is, in fact a girl.
Speaker 1: But I thought that is weird. What is going on with Gabrielle?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean it's the sex that good?
Speaker 2: Or like, I mean, okay, do you have like Ben having been a teenager, I can't imagine it is right, I can't imagine it is.
Speaker 6: That not a good excuse won't hold up in court, you know, not a good enough excuse even if it is that good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just I wonder what. I wonder what she felt about this storyline, you know, And again I can.
Speaker 4: Only because she's she's doing such good job.
Speaker 3: And that kind of goes back to I think it's an actor's responsibilit to fill up, fill up the homework, you know, fill up the why is a character behaving the way they're behaving, even if the audience never hears that. You have to do something for yourself. So it would be interesting to hear what she created or if she like kind of bumped up against this, or maybe she didn't like maybe it's just funny, right and clever, and maybe you just don't think about it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but at this point, I'll say, in the storyline, I feel as though, in terms of redeeming themselves, I would think Gabrielle and Carlos have the most work to do as.
Speaker 1: A unit to redeem their characters.
Speaker 5: Definitely, and they're.
Speaker 6: Both wonderful and doing a great job. There is so much more of this episode to talk about. I mean, Lynette strung out in the park breeze, heartbroken before our eyes, as her children take Rex's side in their breakup, and the iconic.
Speaker 1: Full riding scene with Susan and Edie. So stay tuned. Part two of this episode will drop later this week.
Speaker 4: I can't wait.
Speaker 6: Until then, we remain despertly devoted to you.
Speaker 3: M hmm,