Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: Ready for a break?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and so much for that.
Speaker 6: It's time for The Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com. Were on with Mbar Garcia, Brian brought us, Nick Harris and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 7: It is Wednesday, September eleventh, twenty twenty four, Season twenty, episode number twenty seven. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break. We're live from the SWBC Morgage studios at the Star. We are presented by LG. LG is the world's number one OLED TV brand for eleven years and counting. See why at LG dot com Forward slash old ed evo. We started the day today doing a little bit of remembering. Today is nine to eleven, and uh it was. It's obviously a day to remember for our country, the twenty third anniversary of the tragedies that happened there in New York and in DC. Let's let's I want to go around and tell you and just kind of get a perspective of where were you on that day? I was at Valley Ranch working and I remember I as it started to unfold, I was actually walking back to the back. There was an area in the back of Valley Ranch security area. There's our old security guard, Jake. Everybody knew Jake, right, Jake was He was an older guy, but really really nice guy. And so I get back to the back and he's like, hey, you're seeing what's going on? And so I start watching this with him. And at that point we had no idea what it was. We just knew that they'd been in, you know, playing it blown folding into building, and then it all started to happen, and then we started getting the reports and it was just amazement.
Speaker 3: It was fear.
Speaker 7: It was something that people in America, at least people in my age, had never really lived through, and so it was it was a very very unsettling time. And then you start trying to call family, and I'm trying to call my wife and she's in downtown Dallas, and so downtown metropolitan areas were all starting to get worried, like are their planes heading toward our buildings? And so you're having those kinds of conversations. So it was a pretty weird tough day. And obviously we weren't in New York, so didn't experience some of the things that those folks experienced obviously.
Speaker 3: But but I'll go around the table.
Speaker 7: I remember, what was your day like that?
Speaker 3: That day?
Speaker 8: Where were you?
Speaker 9: I was still living in Dominican Republic. I remember we got out of school around one over there, so I got home. I can't I haven't done the math to remember exactly how old I was, but I must have been around nine or ten something like that, And I remember getting home and turning on the TV and it was just showing on TV. You saw the towers and twin towers. And then at that age, I don't think I ever truly processed what was actually happening. But all you knew, even at that age, this is bad. Like you just had that feeling of like this is terribles, this is really really bad. But again you don't understand the magnitude of it and what it means. At the time, I did have a sister, she was a half sister. I still have a half sister. I still have her, but she was living in in New York and luckily fortunately she was not near all of that. But I remember in making the connection. But all that to say is like, it wasn't just in the US type of news.
Speaker 3: This is news.
Speaker 9: This is something that hit worldwide, and you did see from everywhere in the world when this was happening what it was happening, and just feeling that feeling of just being really really scared, even though I was on an island completely separate from New York, but it was just it's terrible and now understanding as you got older what actually happened and what it meant, it's it's horrifying.
Speaker 3: Nick.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I had a unique perspective I think from my generation because I was I was alive, but I was not really conscious whenever this happened. I was barely one year old, but I was actually just talking about it with my mom that's too long ago, about like where I was, how the day unfolded, and it was my dad that was the one.
Speaker 2: I was like, Ah, it's not that big of a deal.
Speaker 10: And then the second the second plane hit and it was like, Okay, it might be that big of a deal. And so growing up in the time following nine to eleven, I think my generation again has that unique perspective of that is our reality. That was always our reality. And I think whenever I talked to older generations and try to understand, you know, the impact of what that moment meant at that in their lives. You know, there was a completely different life before that. From my understanding and then growing up with this current understanding of my current life, you know, I look at events such as the Boston Marathon or you know, things of that nature, but understanding that nine to eleven is a big reason why we have the national security that we do today. It's a big reason why, you know, a lot of things were happening in my world growing up as a child, but it's always fascinating me from the perspective of the impact that it had on not only society in the United States, but society around the world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had a different perspective. Were I like you, Derek. I was at Valley Ranch. I was working in the pro skuying department for the Cowboys, and my office was right on the outside of Larry Layswell, who was the boss of the personnel staff of us at that time, and Lace popped in and said he walked in and he said, Hey, did you hear a plane hit the world? Trade Center and I said, uh no, he and I go, and so we're kind of talking about again. Yeah, and I was thinking it was like a private plane.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was thinking to maybe propeller plane, you know, maybe a jet something got off course and hit the World Trade Center. And here we are. He's like, no, an airliner and I'm like what. And so we go back to the draft room and we turn it on where our screens were. We turned that thing on, and then the second plane hit and now we're all looking at each other like, oh my gosh, yeah what And then when that plane hit the Pentagon, we were all Then Chris Hall, I remember who's you know, college scouting coordinator, goes, we're under attack. This is now where our country is now under attack. And there was that moment where you just you're trying to just take it all in. And we immediately jumped on the phone. And this is two thousand and once. You really don't have great communication. We're trying to find our scouts. You know, these these airliners are now hitting buildings and going down and hitting Pentagon and going down and field. You know, all this stuff is happening. Matter of fact, the you know, the Los Angeles Kings lost two scouts, yeah, in the Pennsylvania crash or the hijacking, and we just immediately went into mode of trying to locate where our guys were.
Speaker 7: We're trying, by the way, for those of those scouts are flying all around because they got gains.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I'm saying that the Los Angeles King scouts were in Boston looking, you know, and they were flying back to the back to the coast to you know, they were done. They were on their scouting trip and uh Ace Bali and Mark Beavis there, you know, lost their lives in Pennsylvania on that flight and leaving out of Boston, and so yeah, it was it was terrifying because you didn't know. I mean, the news was just so it was so just jumbled, and you didn't you know, and you're just kind of like, my gosh, what's happening. And so we went into we went into okay, let's try and identify where our guys are. Let's make sure everybody. And once we found everybody, you know, but then as scouts, they're all over the country. Some of them are flying, some of them are driving, you know, and now you're thinking about getting everybody home because after that, you know, transportation was shut down and it's a big of known. And I remember talking to Sean Payton after Sean was working with the New York Giants, and he remembers being at practice and if you look at the practice field at the Metal Ants the old stadium, you could see what was going on in the city, you know, and they're thinking, you know, and here they are they smoking, They're seeing smoke and all that. And Sean tells a story about the eeriest thing was a couple of days later of all the cars that were parked in the parking lot at Giants Daten. People take public transportation to get into the city, and those were cars of folks that never came back for their cars. So you know, at a level, you're getting ready for a game, you're and but that now it's all like why, you know what I mean, we're during the we always in the NFL. The Kennedy assassination sixty three was something that the league had to make a determination they're going to play games, and we didn't play games that we were getting ready for the Lions that day that week and they postponed the game. But it was it was. It was terrifying, It really was, because you just there was so much unknown and the news was coming in and it was so just you here and there and here, and you just didn't know why, and you didn't know what to believe. You didn't know what.
Speaker 7: You had conflicting reports on some news because it was all coming in in real time and you're watching actual footage of what's happening. Now you're seeing things and like, did I just see what I thought I saw? Like it was very very jarring and just it was very uh different obviously anything we'd ever experienced.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it just immediately, like I said, when that when that plane hit the Pentagon, that was when the moment that that I went, my gosh, where war? Yeah, our country is now being attacked. You know, they're using our transportation system against us here and so yeah, that's the That was the day, and it's and and you know, and then afterward, and what was so strange is to walk outside that night and I used to live in an area where the flight path where planes were either Dallas Left Field or DFW and nothing in the sky, nothing, nothing in the sky. The whole that you're not walking and I'm thinking and there are usually planes tacked, you know, flying in and but that was that was tough. That was a tough, tough, tough few days.
Speaker 9: There a quick other story, one of our very own Larry Walsley, and guys can get to know him in one of the Deep Blue documentaries that we did Close to the Vest. But Larry, he started with Team Security, with the Cowboy Security back in the day and after nine eleven happened, I mean, he was one of the ones that started implementing and creating what it is now today known as TSA. So when you're getting your shoes off and all that, get mad.
Speaker 7: At Larry, was he with American Airlines on nine to eleven? He was right yes, and then security.
Speaker 9: Right yes, and then he Yeah, he was one of the ones that I was part of creating all of that. I mean, if you ever get to meet Larry, he has so many stories.
Speaker 11: Oh my gosther cover, he can't tell you all the story.
Speaker 3: He wrote a crazy story. He read a book called Man Drake, which was his code name for his or for his CIA stuff. It's a fascinating book. And yeah, having lunch with him is always interesting. You're asking a lot more questions than he's asking.
Speaker 7: You, and you want to just sit there and just take it all and you.
Speaker 3: Take it all in. But yeah, you're talking about TSA. Larry's also really good at helping you get the past, to get through all that.
Speaker 7: Noted, well, that was we certainly want to take this day to remember because there were lots of people who lost loved ones and those people still to this day obviously deal with that in this day. So we want to be respectful of that. And that's why I wanted to take this time to remember a little bit and tell those folks were still thinking about them, and we're still thinking about their loved ones who were lost on that day. Let's tack our first break. When we come back, we'll jump in, talk a little bit of football. We'll get back on course here, We'll be back Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 12: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and t five g. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and t five G Fast, reliable, secure.
Speaker 13: Five YEWS, compatable plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 8: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys then on an LG o lead Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play, every hit. I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines.
Speaker 3: That's how clear it is.
Speaker 8: It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 3: No one comes close.
Speaker 8: Lgolad Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason. See for yourself at LG dot com slash o Leadevo.
Speaker 4: Don't put off getting your oil change Dallas. Take five oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys is faster than you think. There's no appointment needed and no waiting room. Yep, you hurt that correctly. Take five is so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take five's fast, friendly and simple service at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember, at Take five you stay in your car because they're than your bank. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: If you shout how about them Cowboys, you have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better. Yet, gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone. The winds will be even tastier.
Speaker 3: It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 14: Life doesn't stop when the economy is uncertain. The market might not care you have a wedding to plan or a kid to put through school, and inflation doesn't know you've got a family to feed. But Bank of America does and is here to help with digital tools to help you save and local experts nearby. You can keep life moving forward the way you need it to. Bank of America, what would you like the power to do? Learn more at Bank of America, Bank of America NA member fd I see Eco Credit Opportunity Lender.
Speaker 9: Back to the break, lgoled Evil is the best TV in the game, but don't take our word for it. Digital Trends said the lgoled G four has the best picture quality they've ever seen. See it for yourself at LG dot com. Slash Oledevil Welcome back.
Speaker 7: It is the second segment of the Break with Life mess WBC Mortgage Studios at the start of the segment brought to you by blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 3: All right, here we go.
Speaker 7: Let's let's talk about Cowboys defense versus New Orleans offense. Brian, I want you to start first with their quarterback. Obviously, they put up a ton of points last week. His stat line nineteen of twenty three, eighty three percent completion rate, two hundred yards, three touchdowns, a one forty two point five rating. Highly efficient, obviously, especially with attempts that traveled less than ten yards. I read that he was thirteen to thirteen the missles dink and dunk type pros. Yeah, but when you're doing that effectively, you can move the ball down the field. How do you assess his abilities relative to who they were playing versus how well he played.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, and I think you have to give him some credit for how well he played. Clint Kubiak, the coordinator, there's a new kind of young kid group that's coming from the McVeigh Shanahan, you know, and they're all now they're infiltrating all these other teams. So you kind of see a lot of movement, a lot of motion, you know, things to try and make it easy on the quarterback. And I think that Clint called a really a nice game.
Speaker 7: For Is this Gary's kid?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Okay, yeah, and his brother works in your scouting department here. So yeah, so the Kubiak is a good football family Texas A and M. I know, I've known Gary for a long time and so it used to be a quarterback himself, right quarterback backup quarterback to John Away for like twelve years, thirteen years of a career doing that and when he had to play, they actually won game. So it's kind of he's got something like Cooper Rush to him, you know. He kind of like, you know, oh my god, he's playing and the next time you win the game. So but these these these young coordinators have ways of moving the football being created with how they do it. They they've kind of have they have motion in mind, they have ideas of trying to create mismatches. And that's really what Derek Carr needed. He needed somebody to kind of to help him along. And Derek Carr is capable of throwing the ball down the field. The first touchdown of the game was a post strike, you know that that Shaheed caught. It was a beautiful throw in a pocket that got really muddy. But Carolina did not make him feel uncomfortable at all in this game. And I think that's something that Dallas will do. Dallas will make him feel Mike Zimber will make him feel uncomfortable. Now, the things you have to worry about a little bit is because what they can do with Alvin Kamara and running the football. This off it's a line did a pretty good job coming off the football getting into Carolina. This guy man there seemed like just there was a lot of space. Watching the tape, you know, Kamara was averaging about five five a carry. There and it was. It just seemed like that every time that Carolina was facing the run, it was either a light box or they got blown off the ball. But those are the things that help Derek Carr, and if he doesn't have to make every throw, he could be the guy that you saw very accurate done miss a pass. You know, even Chris a Lobby, who I think is their best receiver, was limited in this game. Only two catches in this game, so they really really didn't need to have the big play, but they were able to. The offense did a fine job moving the football that kicked some field goals, much like what the Cowboys did against Cleveland. But you know, Derek Carr, you just can't let him feel good and let him get into We always talked about getting into a rhythm. He got into a rhythm in this Carolina game where it was dropped back, boom ball out, drop back ball, and they played a ton of snaps underneath center. I mean a ton of snaps. I think it was the highest one with them in the rams with the two of the weekend that played all these snaps under center. So okay, what does that do for you? Well, all of a sudden, it turns into well under center. That's how they get Alvin Kamara the ball. They take the ball, they walk it to him and then and then he goes. They let the blocks develop. They don't take a shotgun and hand it to him sideways and let him go. They wanted to get him the ball going downhill, and so they play under center quite a bit. This will be different from what the Cowboys have seen last week with the Browns. Real quick.
Speaker 7: When you when you mentioned that Dallas needs to make him uncomfortable, Yeah, are you thinking making him uncomfortable is more about the disguises which we talk so much about with with Zimmer or is it more about pressure pressure?
Speaker 3: Because he handled he handled the blitzing well against Carolina when Carolina blitz. I think he was eight of ten throwing the football against the blitz so it was like he knew to get it out. I think Dallas when he's going to watch the Dallas film, and as the coaches watched that film, they're they're a team that's gonna use a screen that got Kamara. They can do that. They're gonna do things to try and slow down Dallas's rush if they can. Their offensive line, like I say, they've got a rookie left tackle in Fuaga, a really good player. Loved him coming out of college. They've have some injuries at the at the left guard spot. Landing Young was stepping in for Lucas Patrick there. There seems to be a leg injury there, so a backup might be at left guard Eric Eric McCoy. The center is a good center, I mean solid as they come. Where they're a little bit I think a little bit weak. Is is a Cesar Ruiz and then Trevor Penning on the on that right side. There might be some things that Dallas can do when I talk about the pressure of like the movement that Dallas likes to do, the twisting, maybe the twist with the blitz behind it, maybe the linebacker through there. You know, those were the guys that were giving up some pressures to Carolina. Carolina just did not do a whole lot to affect them in the passing game. But but the one sack they got, the pressures that they were able to get, those are the things you got to do with Carr because if he's just gonna sit there and just and just play pitch and catch all day, he could be very difficult to deal with.
Speaker 9: Well, based on how the Cowboys defense played last week, and I get a different offense. Brown's office and the Saints offense very different. But in my mind, I'm trying to figure out, Okay, based on what they gave us on the field, the Cowboys defense, they it's so good that I'm trying to figure out where would be some areas in this game that they could.
Speaker 3: Actually Yeah, it's have issues with you were the Browns were compromised, But I thought Dallas's scheme if Dallas, if the Browns tackles would have played in this game, I think they would have still got pressure the way that they schemed very early, very small sample size with what Mike could do. Mike was on the podium yesterday talking about their things that he could do with Micah that he didn't get to. So that encouraging, you know that fact he's going to watch this tape and he's going to see a rookie left tackle that's a quality, quality left tackle. The kid's going to be a really good player one day, but he is a rookie right now. And and and they they they were, they were They left him out there, much like the Cowboys kind of left Guitton out there to kind of to see where he was at. Saints did the same thing with their guy. They said, okay, let's see how much he could really take, and he did a pretty solid job. Like I say, but that right size with Ruiz and Pinny that I'm just kind of looking at them and I'm seeing Carolina and it's like ball out, but there's a guy there, you know, and it okay, where's it off of It's off that right side. So I'm going to try if I can't, I'm going to see that this team will also max protect. They will keep like we've seen Dallas in the past where they keep tight ends in and make sure that the ball gets out. I could see them doing the same thing to try and find you know, Okay, where's Parsons, Let's move, let's you know, let's make sure we have guys overtaking care. And now it's going to be on Tank, it's going to be on Osa, it's gonna be on these linebackers. You know, you've you've got to you've got to be able to get some pressure. And like I keep saying, that right side to me, it would be the Cowboys left. But the Saints right side is the spot I would I would look at maybe attacking here.
Speaker 7: As you look at the running backs you mentioned Alvil Kamara obviously also have Jamal Williams talking to me about the strength of etg each of these backs and how do they use them. Do they use him in a perceptible way, a unique role for each one. Are they just kind of interchange.
Speaker 3: Them, Yeah, they interchange, but Kamara is When Kamara plays, it is a it's it's very noticeable. He still has those traits we've seen from him in the past. He could be very explosive, he could be powerful. He's could be hard to tackle. You have to get you know, bodies to him, shoulder on and wrap him up, much like with Overshown the way he was tackling. That's how you have to play against this guy. They'll use him in the screen package games, you know, they'll slip him out. They'll actually put him out wide. They have had they had several they had three routes where he was running. He was running routes of like normal wide receiver's routes, incut outcut, you know, post route. So they'll they'll motion him out of the backfield and then throw him the football. They like to motion him out and then throw him to throw him like the wide almost like a wide receiver screen over there with blockers in front. So here's a team that will go motion and then they'll motion again behind that, so they'll you get like two sets of motion. It's not just one motion. It's a motion to get to a blocker in a position, and then it's a motion again to get the receiver behind the blocker in order to get him the football. So you have to be aware of like, okay, get ready for multiple motions, you know, on pre snap and things like that. But he still runs the ball effectively. He's healthy. There's been times where he hasn't been healthy. They haven't always blocked great for him. But the Carolina Carolina really did not have I didn't think much an answer for when they handed the ball off, it seemed like that he was coming downhill. Uh. There was very few times where Carolina defender was able to win and then make a play there at the line of scrimmage. So you know, Dallas, Dallas will be a different challenge for the Saints just because and and just because of the personnel that they have. The front seven that they have. Carolina doesn't have the front seven that Dallas has, so that would be the challenge. Can these five guys up front? Can these tight ends? Uh? You know when you when you look at the when you look at these these tight ends as well. You know, Foster Moreau is a guy that's they kind of that he's their starting tight end. He's a motion guy, he's a point of attack guy. The ball goes to him in a lot of different ways. But he's a little banged up right now with a concussion. I believe has a head injury. So we'll see if he's available this week. But it's a team that, like I said, likes to move guys to get in position, get the ball to the ball career, and then let people block from that.
Speaker 7: Hill is a guy that they kind of use as a gadget guy. Had a few plays from last week. How do you best defend a guy like that?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, with him, remember with Sean Payton when the Cowboys would play Sean Payton and Taysom Hill. But the one time he was a starting quarterback and that was just kind of a mess that you're like thinking, Okay, Dallas should win this game. Dak versus Taysom Hill. That should be a win for Dallas. Dallas has the better quarterback here. The thing with Taysom Hill, there used to be what we call the wildcat, a lot of that, you know, direct snap power, run the football. Not so much anymore. They might you might see Taysom Hill be it. I think it was one snap that I saw where he took this direct snap and then ran forward for about five yards. But it's a lot less of it's more of like, put him in the backfield and hand him the actual runner. He's an actual runner. They will put him. They will put him in a situation where they'll take Kamara out, they'll take Williams out, and they'll put they'll put him as an actual runner, and then they'll play with Pernice as the apprentice excuse me, as the full back, and he's kind of listed as a full back tight end guy. But you'll see a lot of that that that two back look much like what Dallas did the other day we were talking about twenty one personnel. We were talking about twenty two personnel. The Saints will do the same thing because they do play more with a full back than some of the teams you traditionally face.
Speaker 7: All right, let let's talk a little bit about the offensive line. You mentioned that that that side was a particular right side. If you were if you were kind of going at this from the standpoint of where they're most vulnerable, from the standpoint of getting quick pressure, where would you think is the best point to get quick pressure? Because it does sound like they're getting rid of the ball player. You got to get quick pressure. Where's the best point?
Speaker 3: I think it's Ruiz. I think it's Ruiz the right guard, because that puts you right on the ball. That puts you right where a quarterback it's going to stand pinning on the right as the right tackle you you could win against him. Might be a little bit longer. But the Carolina was having some success with some quick pressure. They weren't the threshold of the numbers like that two point five and they were hitting that, but they weren't going any quicker than that. Ruiz was the one that was having the problems. He's number fifty one, He's the right guard. He's the guy that all of a sudden you can kind of get around him, but the ball would be out. But if you somehow can hold up on the back end, you know, with the covering the routes, you know, press whatever they have to do. Dallas was playing a ton of zone. Yeah, maybe they'll turn around and play a little bit different, give them a little bit different. Look with with the Lobby and Wilson and Shaheed in this game, maybe they feel a little bit more comfortable covering these guys than what they were, you know what they were doing with with the Browns. Played a little bit more zone with the Browns. Maybe a little bit more man coverage here because I think you got to get the pressure on this guy. And you mentioned get it quick. But to you to your question, Ruiz, the right guard would be the point that I would attack there to get quick pressure on.
Speaker 7: Do those corner do the corners for the cow Boys? Do you think they have the ability to play man press against these times?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I do. I think that with I really do. Like Chris o'lovey and and and Shaheed is a Shaheed's a boomer Bus player. He's a downfield he is a he is a downfield player. He's either gonna have a fifty yard catch or he's gonna have no catch. Yeah. Uh, but and so and then we all know Cedric Wilson. Cedric Wilson kind of an intermediate, not a guy with a lot of speed, but the guy's, you know, pretty sure handed in the way they use it. They used a rookie. They have a fifth round rookie named bub Means that plays. He had one target but no catch. They're trying to kind of get him incorporated in what they're doing. But a lot of three wide receiver look and they like the they like the the trips. They'll put them all on one side of the field, so you have three receivers, so they'll have you have to deal with that. You play man coverage. You worry about the scatter where they just all now picking up guys. We saw that in the in the Packers game last year, where all of a sudden you get a trip's formation scatter and then guys are letting guys run free. I think Mike's group's a little bit more buttoned up and be able to handle that. But there should be a good matchup with Dallas's corners on this group right here.
Speaker 7: All right, let's take our first second break when we come back. I have some questions and I'm sure and we has some answers for me on the Dallas defense and maybe how they're going to match up some of the things we saw from last week, particularly talk a little bit about Mozzi Smith and what we saw from him and a couple other guys. Then when we come back this Dallas Cowboys dot com radio.
Speaker 11: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans could get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy liftball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash.
Speaker 3: Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP say.
Speaker 5: Champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, Compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 8: If you can't be at the stadium. There's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an LG ole led Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play.
Speaker 3: Every hit.
Speaker 8: I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines.
Speaker 3: That's how clear it is.
Speaker 8: It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black, over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 1: No one comes close.
Speaker 8: Lgoled Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason. See for yourself at LG dot com. Slash Oleadevo from the field of.
Speaker 15: The festivities, lu Casey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stand tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey Store at the Star in Frisco or online at Lucasey dot com. Lu Casey the official boot of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.
Speaker 12: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 13: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com Slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 3: Back to the break.
Speaker 9: Atant Connecting changes Everything.
Speaker 3: Welcome back.
Speaker 7: Final segment of the break Life from the s WBC Mortgage Studios at the Star presented by LG. We are going to continue our breakdown of the Cowboys defense versus the Saints offense. My first question for you guys was they didn't really move Michael around a ton in this last game is this a matchup where you expect him to move around a little bit, for them to move him around a little bit more and maybe take advantage of some mismatches in certain areas.
Speaker 3: Was there three spots he went to He was left, left, right, left, right, and then he played inside right. Not a lot though, not a lot. No, no, but I mean there were times where he was inside and kneeling was outside. Yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, yeah, I mean yeah, okay, So what other spots can he move to?
Speaker 7: Himbacker?
Speaker 3: Well, okay, yeah, you could play him as an a gap line back. Do you need him to you don't, No, No, I was just asking because I was when you say, when they say move him around. I like what they did with him and Lawrence on the same side. I like that that was the right side thing. And then I like what they did with him just on the naturally on the left side, which is something that you know they put Tank on the right side, put him on the left side, and that seems like, oh wow, you're a little bit better maybe defending the run over. They're always worried about the Cowboys at the right end and being able to defend the run. Even though Neilan did a pretty good job over there. I just wonder how many other spots can they move him to?
Speaker 7: Well, according to both Micah and there's spots, there's more, we got a lot more.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But but I agree with you.
Speaker 7: I mean, I think you could you could look at an a gap blitz linebacker. You maybe could look at a stand up outside guy.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's what I'm saying it would be. He was he was hand down, they had tank inside him outside. You can maybe put him inside, put tank outside. But I was just trying to think. We saw in training camp the where they had they had Kendricks playing as a as really as a what the mug or right at the line of scrimmage right there in the A gap. They had Mike in the other A gap, but they had him at depth and maybe they even played him a little bit where they shaded him behind Kendricks. And then all of a sudden he was shown like he was a gap guy and he ended up in the C gap on the outside and he came in and then he picked him up. It's like they they lost him in like the snap. He walks up and then just ran around and then the line was trying to deal with the blitz, they all middle and they all they just squeeze and now what happens. It gets him around the corner. And then Dak was like a damn, you know, like, Okay, I thought I had you accounted for, but he was he was in a stack position. I guess that's something that we could see, you know, or they can mug him with Kendricks.
Speaker 7: At right there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I just was curious to like, how many other places could they They play him in safety? Hey, what are there? What are there? Really? What are the sacks? They got? The Kendrick sack was him playing? They had him like and then they dropped him a tank and they brought Lewis on the blitz. So I yeah, maybe they could play, but I think he's going to always be outside inside stack guy, maybe detached guy. You know. They it's it's a nice thing. Oh yeah, We've got a lot of other places we can make Mikick. Can you rush him from like the bench? You know.
Speaker 9: I love that they have the ability and they're in a position to actually allow him to do those kinds of things, because I think that him being able to play at different positions allows him to be more explosive, like it just fits his type of personality. I think it allows him because and I remember at some point one of the shows with Derek, he brought like, you know, the type of personality that he is, and all you have to look at is the type of things that he does during the off season, wrestling, basketball, this and that. So it keeps him, I think, more into the game and it prevents him to remember was it last year maybe or two years ago maybe I don't remember when we were talking about how his worst enemy can be his mental self where he can get to in his head, he can get frustrated, and I think this scheming him in that way is just it fits him perfect and I think it just keeps him more fresh and it puts him in a better position overall to keep trying. And after that game where he was like, yes he was happy with everybody but him wanting to have more sex and things like that, I can see this being an opportunity for him to exploit that and actually get to the quarterback.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I ran into Isaiah standback on the way when he was coming out. I was coming in and he they did an interview with the interview yesterday. Yeah, and he was talking about Yeah, in the NFL network and he was talking about, uh, that that Mike Zimmer gives him freedom for some of the call stuff, like when they feel like that Mike has it kind of built in. I'd be interested to ask Zim. I'm like, hey, man, we bluffing here. Is you really giving him freedom? I'm sure because the talent of the player. He's saying, Okay, listen, I'm going to call this. But if you, if you, if you're going to adjust it. This is what we're going to have to do. This is maybe why they're spending a lot of time together. Mike's explained, and listen, when I make this call, this is what I need from you. But if you feel like you can get home standing up in the A gap or playing in the playing the C gap, wherever you feel like, because if you do, if you do play that, now Mike's got to adjust for everybody else. We always talk about track. Remember the story about oh, hey, is Dig's going to travel? Yeah, Diggs is going to travel. But what happens when you travel, everybody else has to change up what they're doing. If you play things the same, if you play it, it's pretty standard. Everybody's fine travel a guy. Now, safety has to do this, other corner has to do this, linebacker has to do this. You just got to make sure. And I think that's where Micah and you mentioned the challenge that Micah has the buy in with Zim. If Zim is going to allow him to have that kind of autonomy to do what he needs to do, then he needs.
Speaker 9: I think they have the perfect relationship. They have such a good reaon they do. Yeah, yeah, right, so far, so good. But I think it's it's just the level of respect and I think Trusty comes into hand, Uh into play as well, and I think everybody else what everybody else is doing around him, that everyone knows their job. Nobody. It's not getting confusing. Everyone knows exactly what they're doing and how to adjust this. All these younger players being in there, they're staying up to date on whatever is going on. So I got to give credit to a lot of other those young guys. They're just keeping up with everything.
Speaker 3: I think that the addition of Kendricks really is helping this defense in a week one. I'm just gonna say that because communication being on the same page. You know, you look at over shown Leafel. I think with the snaps, she got smart guy. You don't really worry about him Clark. When Clark played, the best thing that happened to Clark was that that number fifty showed up because number fifty could say, all right, man, get ready here, oh formation beer, you know, and now Clark can go be a football player. Clark doesn't have to think, oh my gosh, what's happening from me right now? He could go be a football player. So Zimmer, Parsons could be whatever they want to do. The guy that kind of keeps everything together, I think is Kendricks. That kind of has and then you got smart. We were talking about Lewis playing in the slot. You know, Lewis knows what he has to do. That's a difficult job he has. He's kind of on an island by himself playing out there. So you know, if you got smart guys. We talked about it when Zimber got hired. Zimmer's going to play smart guys. Zimmer, if you're not doing the right things, you're making mistakes. You'll be standing over by us over there on the sidelines.
Speaker 7: All right, give me a give me a scatter report on what you saw from Ozzie Smith in this game.
Speaker 3: In this last game, I thought Mozzie Smith was a positive player. I didn't think he was a Negative's times where Mozzie Smith is a negative player. He's a negative and negative in a way that he hurts your defense. Mazzie didn't hurt your defense in this game. I think he got twenty snaps in this game. The positive snaps, the ability to stay square. We always talk about that with defensive linemen. If you see the five in the eight, if Mazzi from the TV copy, he's having a bad day because if you see his number, that means he's getting turned. He's usually getting washed. I thought he played with power. I thought in the early snaps he played with some quickness. I thought he got off the ball. Well. There was a couple of times where you reverted back to you watch the tape pan on the ground, everybody's moving, Mazi, gotta move, move Mazzi. You know so, But he wasn't. It wasn't twenty negative plays or where all of a sudden you're watching him play. He played twenty plays because he was playing well. You know, he was playing well, and and now we're it's I feel sad to say that. You know, the numbers didn't show that, but if you watch how the technique of how he played, and he they asked him what they asked him to do much better at that.
Speaker 9: I thought he he played okay, but something that I was very curious to see heading into week one, given everything that we saw during training camp, and helped me out with the coach's name, I can never pronounce his name.
Speaker 3: I bow Jeff su Gina.
Speaker 7: I just call them the defensive line cups coach.
Speaker 9: If you know how that guy is, We've talked about it NonStop.
Speaker 3: I had to leave the premises.
Speaker 9: It was one of those questions that either either you're like, you know what, I'm done with this, like quit talking to me like that, Derek, okay, you know, I walk out, or we're going to have a fight over here. But it wasn't like so. I was just very curious to see how he would handle that mental part of it, because it can either make you or break you. And sometimes getting somebody yelling at you constantly, it gets into your head. And I think he handled the game much better than I expected, giving what he had to go through all through a training camp.
Speaker 3: It was there were times where training camp is rough for him. Absolutely, And like I said, I was watching from the platform and I had to walk away because I felt like that, like I don't want to watch this anymore, you know, I mean, I feel I felt for the point of you know, they worked hard. I mean, and Mazie he could have broke, he could have broke. I think when he looks at this tape, he's going to see himself in a better light. Is it what you need right now? Yeah? In a rotation with guys, Yeah, you can win. Be a positive player. Don't be a negative player. Don't be a liability when they when you play twenty snaps fifteen of them, be a positive play. Make them count. All right, that's a wrap.
Speaker 7: We will be back tomorrow. We'll start talking Cowboys offense versus Saints defense. Till then for Brian brod A, SAMBERGARSI IM Derek Heiglton.
Speaker 3: This has been The.
Speaker 7: Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.