Speaker 1: I miss the green, for example, I'm already upset.
Speaker 2: When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset.
Speaker 3: And when I find my ball in a brid Egg Friday Egg, the dreaded Frida Egg Friday Friday Bride Egg, Lie, I'm about ready to run off of the course. Ladies and gentlemen, Welcome back to another edition of the Frida Egg Podcast. I am joined again by Kyle Nathan. We're going to do another mail bag. I think we'll make this a close to weekly thing, so keep the questions coming and uh, Kyle, welcome on.
Speaker 2: Thanks. Yeah, excited to do it again.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Did you watch much of the PGA this weekend?
Speaker 2: I did. I enjoyed it. I think that it was nice to see Justine get his major win. I think it was one of those things where you knew was coming, kind of like where I feel like Ricky Fowler's game is now too, where you know it's going to probably come, you just don't know when, and it's going to be an exciting time and I'm happy for him and happy for golf.
Speaker 3: Actually, yeah, it's you know, he seemingly got into contention at the US Open. It was like the first time in major, in a major in contention, he struggled mightily on Sunday, but you could see that coming after he shot a nine under sixty three the day before to get into the final group. It almost would have been a blessing if he had missed that final group. But then you know, he struggles sure enough next time in contention, probably a lot more comfortable, and I think he benefit from not being in that final group and gets the job done. I mean, Kiszner would see was leaking oil all day, Chris Stroud, he is very patiently leaking oil after the first two rounds, and Hideki just doesn't seem as sharp. So it was wide open and JT just hit the best shots and made the most putts he did.
Speaker 2: He's kind of getting the reputation of a pretty pretty good closer. He didn't, you know, the US Open. I wouldn't say that was a closing opportunity because he wasn't really in it, you know, down the stretch on Sunday. But if you look at his track record, he's very very good when he is in it down the stretch, and that's exciting to see. That's one of the you know, characteristics that made Tiger soappealing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he has a gas pedal like the obviously you know, the scoring record at at Sony and the fifty nine and then the sixty three. Like when that guy's on and the putters hot, it's something else. He he's right there in terms of explosiveness with a a Rory Dustin Johnson. When he's on, it's I think it'll be interesting to see, you know, career wise, he's twenty four. One major where he gets too. I think he sets up really well for PGA championships, but like us, Opened might be a little bit different, different story and Open championships.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think given his age, he'll develop the necessary facets of his game to adjust to a you know, an Oakmont Open setup or even a British Open setup. I think, you know, he's just twenty four, so he's got you know, eight years till he supposedly reaches his prime eight to nine years, so we could see a lot of majors from him.
Speaker 3: Were you disappointed in anyone from the week.
Speaker 2: I don't know disappointed. I was surprised Mickelson missed the cut given his track record at the Wells Fargo. I was surprised. You know, Rory never never got it going. DJ never really got it going. You know, those those were some surprising things. But I feel like the PGA Championship, the Open is pretty unpredictable, the Open Championship, But the PGA Championship you usually get some interesting guys in the top there that you don't you didn't see coming, and certainly with Stroud and a few of the others, you just you just never know what the PGA I feel.
Speaker 3: Like, Yeah, it's I wonder why the PGA yields so many fluky winners.
Speaker 2: It is strange. I don't I don't have a good answer for it. It does kind of seem more like a regular tour event than a major. I guess, which might be a problem the tournament has, but I don't really. You know, you look back and you have some pretty bizarre winners. But you can say the saying, you know, Michael Campbell when the US opened, Todd Hamilton won the British Hope. You know, you get some some different winners in the other majors. It just seems like, I agree, you get the Sean mckeel's and you know, those type of players at the PGA a little more often.
Speaker 3: Sean mkheel wy Yang. Yeah, it could be that it could go to the golf courses too. I just think they played just stinky golf courses.
Speaker 1: So it's just the better.
Speaker 3: Like Augusta is a perfect example, Like the best players win in Augusta because it's the best golf course.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Augusta doesn't really have many you know, Schwartzel was a big surprise, but then he turned out to be, you know, one of the top players in the world. Bob Emmelman got hurt.
Speaker 3: Bubba only wins it like five courses. But there are always pretty good golf courses. True, But let's get into the questions. We got a ton of them here, and we got a lot of questions about Louis whose days and most people probably don't know that you're like the biggest Louis fan in the world.
Speaker 2: I am a Louis fanboy. I don't even know why. I don't even I was trying to think yesterday how it even started. I think it started out as a joke and I just I put money on him to win a couple of tournaments and decided that I was just going to commit to that plan and just been a big Louis fan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, even though he's kind of burned you. He never wins in the Western hemisphere.
Speaker 2: I know I need I need him to go back to the other hemisphere and start wagering on those.
Speaker 3: So Justin Anderson wants to know is Louis a Hall of Famer or will he be by the end of his career. Obviously that has a lot to do with what happens.
Speaker 2: As much as I want to say yes to this, I think he needs one more win in the United States or even I'd say, I'd say win in the United States, or another Open championship. I think he's really borderline. He has eleven wins and they're pretty major events too. You know, he's won a major. But I just think he needs the one win because it's not like he's putting up Montgomery type seasons, you know, not you know internationally where he's gonna win the Order of Merit six seven times in a row, whatever it was. So I think he just needs another win, and I do think he'll get it, So we'll have to see. I think that's a to be determined.
Speaker 3: I it's pretty crazy when you look at his runner ups, so he has which is well documented. A lot of people have been talking about this. He's he's runnered up a runner up finish in every single major championship. But he also has a runner up at the WGC match play and the players and I think Abu Dabi.
Speaker 2: Good player shirt this year. I thought he had that for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, who nobody saw see Wu coming.
Speaker 2: Nope.
Speaker 3: So just it's so hard to Sometimes I feel like winning's overrated and golf just because it's so hard to do. It might be like the underrated, under overrated thing. But when you finished second in every major, that's got to get you something, even though it gets you really nothing because nobody remembers that. But that that that's got to help him out.
Speaker 2: He should be in the Hall of Fame. Just from that video he posted last night.
Speaker 3: Yeah he did make like a million dollars is flying a private jet, which you know, it makes you not feel his pain as much for finishing second again, right, But he's probably just he loves just chilling on his farm. That's like I think the career scope of Louis is this guy. He doesn't golf is like a secondary thing. Golf is he he works, which is golf to live, Like He's not a lived a work guy like a lot of these guys out here. He he really doesn't care about golf as much as a you know, Jordan Spieth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's I think that's one of the things I've always liked about him is he just wants to go back and you know, roll in the hay.
Speaker 3: Get a new tractor, and tend to the farm.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: I think he's got vineyards now too. So that's what I didn't notice about the South African guys like Ernie Els kind of didn't really you know, he especially once he hit forty, he cared so much more about things outside of golf than competitive golf. And I think Louis is the same way. Charles Schwartzel is the same way. I don't know much about Brandon Grace, but but you know, these South Africans are kind of kind of different breed.
Speaker 2: It's interesting there. Yeah, you're right, it's.
Speaker 1: Except for Gary Player, of course.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, whack job.
Speaker 3: Maybe they're all rebelling against Gary Player.
Speaker 2: He set a poor example.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're like their teen angst against father Gary Player. So here's a here's another interesting Louis question. Is is one of the things I love about Louis is he shifts his mattress from from from tournament to tournament. And Mark Caverhill wants to know if that's part of his net Jet sponsorship or UPS sponsorship, and he wants to know if he has two in case one gets delayed, And I actually asked a bunch of people at the Players about this. And in the US, there's a guy that takes all this stuff from one stop to another on the tour, and that's the guy who takes Louis mattress from tour stop to tour stop.
Speaker 1: So like, people will.
Speaker 3: Give this guy on Sunday all the golf bags and he loads him up into like his trailer or something and drives them to the next spot and they're there. They're always guarantee tea to be there by Monday morning. So I think Louis does the same thing with his mattress, but I'm not sure how he does it.
Speaker 2: On the European tour, guessing UPS is a huge part of that.
Speaker 3: And sorry, but like how much I imagine you could just buy a new mattress everywhere you went.
Speaker 2: Could if he keeps playing like that, that's for sure, But he might have it. You know, it might be worn in just right. It might be his special special mattress. I'm gonna say he only has one because sometimes a good Louis thing to do, as an avid Louis watcher is he starts starts off tournaments very poorly. So I'm guessing that his mattress usually probably doesn't arrive and then he'll shoot, you know, seventy six the opening round and then three straight sixty fours after his mattress gets in there. So I think he should look into getting a backup.
Speaker 3: I think they should rotate him, so one should go. If that's the case, one should be sent there pre tournament. You know, you should almost have two and the next one's going to the next stop before he before he even gets there, is there.
Speaker 1: A week early.
Speaker 3: He can't be genius, can't be jeopardizing your sleep.
Speaker 2: Nope, all right. Staying with Hall of Fame potential inductees, what do you think of Hideki Matsuyama and can we win a MA someday? That's from Robert Bernard.
Speaker 3: I think Hideki is going to win a major. It's not a if. Obviously, there's no guarantees. But you look at the guys track record. I think he has seven top ten finishes in majors and he's played in twenty one total, so a third of the time he's finished in the top ten. And that includes like as an amateur at twenty one in the Masters.
Speaker 1: So it's just a matter of time.
Speaker 3: I mean, you put yourself close to contention enough, you're eventually gonna find it.
Speaker 1: And I think this is.
Speaker 3: He just needs to become a better putter. In my estimation, what do.
Speaker 2: You think I was gonna say that exact same thing. I think he could win twelve majors if he improves his putting. If that's easier said than done. Sometimes you know, a tiger can't change its stripes, but sometimes it can. I think is a hard thing to exponentially improve at. I think of all the things, that's the hardest to go from being a poor putter to a great putter, mostly because it's all mental. But he's got the ball striking. I mean, he's to be number one in the world. I don't think there's anybody that would doubt that. I just think that if he can learn to putt, you don't see many majors one with guys that didn't putt well. With the exception of exception of Jason Duffner at Okill where he was, you know, stoning it to three feet every hole and missed half of them. You don't see poor putting win majors. But if he can get that right, he can win, I mean, as many as he wants. If he can't, he's going to have to have a week where he just you know, like a Duffner esque week where he's you know, hitting the ball on a blanket.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think that that's the thing too that goes a little bit unnoticed is that Hideki's ball striking up big time over the weekend. So had he hit the ball the way he hit it the first two rounds and last week at Bridgestone on the weekend, he might have won. So obviously, you can't hit the ball perfect all the time, but with the way, there's gonna be one of these weeks where the convergence is going to happen and he blew. He blew blows people out when he when he plays well. And that's something we saw with Tiger. That's something we see with all the elite players, is that when they really put it all together, nobody has a shot, and and he's just been so close so much. I think, you know, he's almost like a Sergio Garcia at this point on steroids in terms of how many close calls and majors he's are, like how many times he's been in contention for how short of a career he's had.
Speaker 2: They have similar similar golf games.
Speaker 3: Really yeah, just unbelievable. Te de Green all the shots, but the putter just doesn't seem to make enough putts.
Speaker 1: But I think I think.
Speaker 3: He's it's just a I would I would bet he would get one in the next two years at the very.
Speaker 2: Least, I would agree.
Speaker 3: So, uh oh, Chad from Deer Park is back. Chad. Chad from Deer Park is So this week's event is the windhom and it decides who stays and goes from the tour. So he wants to know who you want from outside the top one twenty five to make a charge and get.
Speaker 2: In from the top. From outside the top one twenty five, I'm gonna say Sam Saunders. And I'm gonna say that because, as everybody knows, he's the grandson of Holly Saunders, and it'd be cool to get her and him, you know, at the events. And also he's a pretty good I mean, he's a little litle bit streaky obviously, but when he plays well, he can play real well. So that's why I'd like to see make it to the next event.
Speaker 3: I didn't know Hawley Saunders had a grandson.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Sam, Sammy.
Speaker 3: Sammy, Well, I'm gonna go with my boy. Ken Duke. The he played the greatest round of golf in the history of golf last year at the Players.
Speaker 2: He sure did.
Speaker 3: He shot a sixty five that day. That was an incredible round he got. He wouldn't even be in this situation if it if the Players had a real exemption thing, like who finishes in a third and in a huge championship and doesn't get invited back next year?
Speaker 1: Ken Duke shouldn't have been there.
Speaker 2: Unbelievable really, and we all know he dominates Sawgrass.
Speaker 3: So I personally, I think that he deserves a special exemption next year for just the mismanagement of exemptions that the PGA Tour clearly. You know, it's almost like there's a Ken Duke vendetta on tour.
Speaker 2: I can't Duke Vendetta, oh god.
Speaker 3: But yeah, close second is Charlie Wee. He's he's a long way out, He's at two eighteen. But I think we just need to see a little bit more Charlie Wie in events. He thrilled the world at the Zurich with him and kJ Toy.
Speaker 2: As a team, thrilled the world. All right here, here's a good question. Will Thrasher from Warsaw, Indiana. The prevailing wisdom seems to indicate that Phil is a lock for the President's Cup, but I don't see it. His game is nowhere right now without bones, he seems lost. Would love to see Duffner picked instead. He has already buddies with Ricky, JT and company. Would be a great veteran president and natural best ball pairing with JT his usual practice round partner. Would like your thoughts.
Speaker 3: So I think it's it's well documented.
Speaker 1: I think Phil is.
Speaker 3: Very overrated to the player all the time. I would definitely agree he doesn't by by form, he doesn't deserve a spot on the President's Cup team. He's really done nothing when he's gotten into contention, he's faded. But there's this whole experience thing, and you know he's gonna be a future cap like, there's no way he gets left off this team. There's just no possible way he does. Like the player i'd like to see in there instead of him is Brian Harmon, but that's not gonna happen, I think so. Yeah, And long, long story short, there's no chance. I saw Patrick Reid moved in and into the top ten too, So they've got to two picks and it'll be interesting because now Chapel's outside Harmon, Duffner, Woodland, Snatecker, Steele, and then it's Phil.
Speaker 1: So who would you like to see?
Speaker 3: I mean, do you think there's any way Phil gets left off?
Speaker 2: I don't. I'd like to see Brian Harmon out of everybody you mentioned, I don't see Phil getting left off. But you know, it surprised everybody when the US national team left Land and Donovan out, which is kind of a similar you know, end of his career, struggling a bit. But I just can't see one of his contemporaries leaving him off the team. If it was you know, somebody else, maybe, but I just I can't see Michelson being left off.
Speaker 3: That is an interesting dynamic about these team events. It's like the veterans have such an advantage over younger guys because the guys picking them are like their buddies that they've played on tour with forever. Right, It's you know, that's a the added benefit as a veteran.
Speaker 1: I think that I.
Speaker 3: Don't know, I think the veteran presence is like such garbage when it comes to these team competitions, like you need to have a veteran in the locker room. Like it's golf, like, I mean, what's what's Phil gonna say to you before a match that could possibly like make you play better? Is he going to say, like play better?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm I think it's especially in golf. I mean it just seems I mean there's a certain element of you know, pairing guys together that have you know, one guy makes a ton of pars, real steady, the other guy, you know, makes a lot of birdies. That makes sense, But you know, you don't need pods to discuss it and secret committees and whatever they're talking about. You know, I just I don't think that's necessary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm I'm so out on on strategy.
Speaker 1: It's it's it's an individual game.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: It's so all right.
Speaker 3: Barry w had a great question. Did you know that the Solheim Cup was this week?
Speaker 2: First off, I absolutely did not.
Speaker 3: I remember seeing it was somewhere in August. I didn't know it was this week. Though, likelihood of any gimme controversies slash tears, slash seven hour rounds this time around, he'll hang up and listen.
Speaker 2: I will say that likelihood is high, and I really hope it happens. I think that's been some of the great drama of team golf is you never know when you're gonna have to replay a shot. You never know when there's gonna be tears, you know, streamers in the hair flying. You just never know, and I think that should be the way golf is. So I'm gonna say I'm looking forward to any incident. I won't watch the tournament at all, but I will rely on Twitter to provide me some good video of tears.
Speaker 3: I was talking about this with somebody the other day, is how the LPGA Tour's two big moments this year was when Lexi missed marked her ball just and they're just horrible handling of the situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, waiting a.
Speaker 3: Day Informia in the middle of her last round. I it was they just botched this whole thing, and they got all these these viewers in and everybody stayed, but everybody was so mad at the tour.
Speaker 1: They were infuriated with the tour.
Speaker 3: So then the next time they kind of got right into the spotlight and it was a big moment. Was the was the round that playoff between I can't remember who it was, but they kept playing this horrible golf hole over and over and over again, and it was taking absurdly long because of how long these women were taking to play. And it was like the two big moments in the LPGA season have been just marred and controversy and everybody being like, what the hell is going on on this tour?
Speaker 1: So yeah, I expect I.
Speaker 2: Can add all a women's golf in there too with that. You know, the whole raked pot in the women's Junior Am. Was it a gimme?
Speaker 1: Was it not?
Speaker 2: The whole thing? You can add that in there too.
Speaker 3: I you know, are women secretly more competitive than men?
Speaker 2: I don't know that they're secretly more competitive. I think society probably has a certain, you know, view on their competitiveness, probably, you know, just from from a long, long period of time. Thinking one and then maybe it shocks people that they act and think another way. I don't know, but it is. It is interesting that the three biggest moments of women's golf for all controversies.
Speaker 1: I don't for my day's catting.
Speaker 3: I feel like Lady's Day was always way more stingy on gimmes than Men's Day. And it's it's it's very interesting. It's an interesting dynamic. But we'll see what happens this week. I feel like we might we might get in some trouble with those answers, so we're gonna move on.
Speaker 1: Uh do you Uh?
Speaker 3: We got a couple of questions about midim events, So what are What are some of your favorite midiam events that are non USGA slash state events?
Speaker 2: Some of my personal favorite that I've played. I really like the Gasparilla Invitational in Tampa. It's really fun. It's a it's a fun atmosphere. Obviously, the golf's great. You get a really good field, but it's kind of the whole package for that event. I really like Carlton Woods. You get a great golf course and they treat you well. I haven't played the Crane or the Cup Crump, but obviously those are very highly regarded. Four balls that j R. Williams at Oak Hill is spectacular. The golf course, the people, the way the tournaments run. Champions was an awesome event down in Houston. They treat you great, They make you feel like you know that they want you there. If you're in Chicago, I know a lot of your listeners are. The Meritam's really good. That is you play for a membership, you get a year membership, you play I think it is twenty seven holes over two days. And obviously Merritt Club is awesome. The golf course and you get to you get to be a member there if you win. The International down here in Florida is another good one. There's so many, it's it's crazy.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I got an email the other day for one and I never heard of it in my life, and I'm like, wow, this looks awesome. Yeah, it's kind of crazy. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think that almost all the country clubs in almost every city have a lot of great events.
Speaker 1: I was I've been thinking about playing a couple.
Speaker 3: I just haven't had time this summer to do any But like next year, I think I probably go up to They have one at Kingsley Club up in northern Michigan, which is really great, really great golf course. Again, if you win, you win a membership.
Speaker 1: I got. I had a.
Speaker 3: Reader email me about one at their course. That's like the Country Club of North Carolina. I was looking at that one. It looks really cool. It's in the fall.
Speaker 2: There's that course is awesome country in North Carolina.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it looks looks great. So I'm a golf course snop, so I always if I'm going to go do one of those, it's probably gonna be at a nice course because I don't want to spend four days at a bad one. But yeah, I guess Marilla I might have to do this year. They looks like an awesome event. So let's see another question. Here's a good one. What are other this is timely with the PGA from Sam Schumer. What are other regular tour stops that should be used as major venues but get overlooked.
Speaker 2: You know, A couple came to mind right away, and one's actually a web dot com course, and that's Victoria National outside of Evansville. That golf course. I've played it once. It's it's extremely hard from all the way back. Usually they have the web there and I think they're up a few t's on a lot of the holes. It's extremely hard, it's extremely good. I just I don't know if associated the PGA or the USGA would be willing to go to Evansville. That that remains to be seen. But the golf course is certainly more than capable of having an event. And Mirfield, I think Mierfield would be a great PGA championship site and I'd like, I'd love to see it there.
Speaker 3: You know, I heard that they tried to go to Mirfield, but uh Jack said that the only place in Columbus that could host the Memorial was Sciota and they said no because they and they wanted to move it to Double Eagle, and because of that, they lost out on on hosting a major. I think it was a well, I think it was a PGA.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure. It might have been a US Open.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure, but but one of the but the deal was, you know that you had to move the other event, and they but that would be a cool spot. I think another one would be Ironomic that hosted absolutely the Tigers Tournament quicken Loans a couple of years ago, just got restored by Gil Hans. Players just rave about that place. I mean, it's one of many great great golf courses in Philadelphia and it's it's tough, challenging.
Speaker 1: Outside of that, I think.
Speaker 3: You get a lot of good I mean, Riviera obviously hasn't hosted a major in a long time, and it keeps being linked to it. They have the US AM this week, so I'm sure that they're going to get a major championship and announced in the next five years. That would be another obvious one. And then if you moved the if you move to any of them, you know the PGA. Everybody always talks about the PGA moving to like another country, which would never happen because it's the Professional Golfers Association of America.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it would be cool to.
Speaker 3: Have it at like a sand belt course like Royal Melbourne or or Kingston Heath in Australia. So all right, let's uh, since we're talking about the PGA. This is from the guys who mow.
Speaker 2: Will the PGA ever revert back to a match play major? Also, what do you think about mixed alternate shot Olympic Golf Men's DEAs?
Speaker 3: So I'll start with the PGA question, I don't think it ever will move back to a matchplay major, And I don't think a major championship should be all match play because it just becomes too fluky, like you can play really bad every day and get to like the finals, or win if your opponent plays worse. So I think the way you'd have to do it if you did make it a match play major, would be similar to what the Western m does and do either fifty four or seventy two holes of stroke play and then cut it to sixteen guys, and those sixteen guys play match play, in which I think would be really cool. I mean, it would be like a week long thing, but it would be awesome. I think people would love it. If you were seriously looking for a way for the PGA to become, you know, not the fourth major, you would make that kind of format.
Speaker 2: I I would love that format. I just I think there's almost zero percent chance it would happen because of the TV money. I think that if you're going to have a the final on Sunday, you're and you you know, you get no disrespect to anybody if you get like Rod Pampling and you know Scott hend or somebody in the finals. This the people aren't going to watch, and that's that's that's the major driver of of golf is the TV ratings right now. And so I just don't think it would ever and it would never happen, but I would love it too.
Speaker 3: The other issue is when when there's only two guys on a golf course, it's it's really kind of boring.
Speaker 2: Because there's a lot of debtor.
Speaker 3: You'd have to I mean, CBS actually might do okay with it because it seemed like there's only two guys on the golf course.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, but just.
Speaker 2: Go with their normal, normal, normal broadcast.
Speaker 3: They'd be like, oh great, we could show just as many commercials and and you know, fill it with enough fluff and we don't really have to do anything different.
Speaker 2: We can watch Jim Nance and his dog hang out.
Speaker 3: As for mixed alternate shot in the Olympic, in Olympic golf, I think this has legs.
Speaker 1: I would liken it a lot too.
Speaker 3: The way the Olympics does figure skating, where they have individual they have mixed figure skating, and then they have freestyle figure skating, which.
Speaker 2: I don't forget ice dancing ice dancing, big fan of ice dancing.
Speaker 3: I would I would parallel golf to figure skating.
Speaker 2: It's I don't know if I want to say that, but I will say that I would absolutely be all for the mixed alternate shot Olympic golf. I think it's a great idea and I'm all for it. They should definitely do that. I'd rather have that than an actual competition. To be honest, who like they had?
Speaker 3: Who would be the favorite? South Korea or America?
Speaker 2: Oh? Good question. I would say, obviously, who's America Lexi and speak or DJ or DJ. Let's let's keep DJ away from her. Let's go speak and Lexi and uh. South Korea would be.
Speaker 3: It would be the girl that's on top. Say you know, yeah, I think.
Speaker 2: We'd be favored.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it would be. It would be almost like an advantage disadvanced. I think we'd have to be favored. But they'd have more quality team. I don't know that'd be that.
Speaker 2: Be deeper, they'd have a better They have a lot more teams that could win it.
Speaker 3: Probably, But going back to the Solheim Cup, the biggest problem with the Solheim Cup is that it should be South Korea versus the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it really should be, like.
Speaker 3: That would be entertaining, Like that is what the event should be because they are they are the most dominant country for women's golf.
Speaker 1: Like, let's stop tiptoeing around the subject. Like they dominate.
Speaker 3: Like the world versus South Korea would be one hundred times more captivating than US versus Europe, And I think European Women's tour is like going out of business.
Speaker 2: I would probably be more inclined to watch US versus South Korea versus the world, I should say, yeah for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so I mean I get we've got to have like Lydia co on our team. It'd be in the Jutana Guards. Yeah, and then yeah, it would be super exciting. That's what they'd need to do if if anybody's hockey.
Speaker 2: Kind of did something like that with their All Star game, right, they went North America.
Speaker 1: And versus the world versus the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that got some some spike in ratings at least m hm.
Speaker 3: So, staying on the PGA talk, the angry golfer from glen View chimes in again. He wants to know about slow play on tour, he seems. He says it's it's just disgusting.
Speaker 2: I think it's disgusting too. I hate playing slow. I would rather not play than play over five hours. That's that's or even over four and a half. That's how much I hate slow play. But I get these guys are competing for a major, and you know, it's their livelihood. And you know, like Day had a comment before the season started that he was like, you know, this is my I'm trying to win a major. I'm gonna take however long I can. And you know that they can say that, but at the end of the day, there was a there was a there was a survey of PGA Tour players. Eighty four percent of them said slow play was a major problem. So if eighty four percent of them think it's a problem, then somebody has to hold them accountable. I think I think you should have a I mean, it's hard to differentiate between guys and groups, which is why the USGA does the policy where they you know, first they penalize the whole group, then ask questions, but there has to be accountability otherwise they the sport is going to continue to lose fans. It just it takes too long. And if it's if kids are watching these guys play in six hours, they're gonna think that, you know, they're gonna think it's okay. I'd like to see a lot more penalties.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think the other thing that goes unnoticed a lot of times is like Jason Day is unaffected by slow play because he plays really slow. But what about the guy in your group that's like a quick player, like you're it's kind of almost like gamesmanship.
Speaker 1: So oh, it totally is.
Speaker 3: It's like, I'm a fast player, and like in tournaments, I kind of just shut it off. But like when I'm playing casual golf and somebody's really slow, it just it irritates the shit out of me. And I think, like just just be mindful. Like there's something that something that bothers me in society more than anything is when people are completely like blind to their surroundings and just like you're like, how do you not like notice like you did you just like by you getting what you want are completely like screwing over the rest of the world.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: That really bugs me. And that's kind of what that's what slow play is on the PGA tour is like, especially like when you have these regular events where where like guys have to play behind you, or like say you have the first tea time off and you wrap around and you get behind somebody like the leaders, and you know they're just so slow like that.
Speaker 1: That's wrong. That has to change.
Speaker 2: More penalties, Yep, more penalties. Okay, let's do an architecture question. Do architects find the great holes than the routing or they find the routing and create the best holes possible. That's from Porter Golf.
Speaker 3: So I'm not an architect, but one of the things that fascinates me the most about architecture is routing, and I think everybody does it different. I heard a story about Bill Cooorr and I've been trying to to.
Speaker 1: Get this fact checked.
Speaker 3: But Bill Coorr used to I don't know if he still does it anymore, but he used to camp on the ground that he would get for a golf course for like two or three weeks, and he'd stay up at all hours of night watching animals roam the land because he was convinced that they knew the easiest way to walk around the land. So he'd wrap the golf courses so it was easy to walk.
Speaker 2: That's crazy, Yeah, I mean I.
Speaker 3: Think it would be fascinating just to walk around with an architect on a piece of land that they are building, just to see how they do it. But for the most part, I think they find the most dramatic features, so whether it be like a downhill, you know, with a great view, and they put holes they want there, and then they route around those kind of key holes and figure out how to connect them. I to go.
Speaker 1: Back to the Bill Kohr thing.
Speaker 3: You know, there's a famous quote about Sandhills where he had you know, tens of thousands of acres of land. Is you know, there's like they had something thousands of golf holes that they found when they were walking this land, and it was just a matter of narrowing it down to eighteen the eighteen best ones.
Speaker 1: So kind of nutty, yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean talk about like a I don't think i'd The worst part I think is an architect would be like I'd always be second guessing myself, like did I actually pick the right holes?
Speaker 2: All right, let's stick with architecture. Kind of an architecture question. HM wants to know water hazard, power, rakings, rankings, oceans, lakes, creeks, et cetera.
Speaker 3: I hate all water hazards. For the most part, I hate lakes. Lakes are by far at the bottom, especially man made lakes. I think we need to change this to man made lakes and regular lakes. You know, if the lake was there, then that's way better, But man made lakes are the worst. I would say. I think oceans are great for views, but from a golf course perspective, maybe a little overrated. So I actually love a thin, little narrow creek because it's subtle and it like if you use it the correct way, like a lot of the great architects do. Like if you look at Augusta, how they use the how Mackenzie used Ray's creek that went through it. All the lakes got put in there by Robert Trent Jones, but like, if you look at how he used the creek, it's it's incredible. And I think, like a creek is so underrated. So I'll go creek, ocean, and then lake man made lake. What about you?
Speaker 2: That's funny you say creek. I'm gonna go with my favorite and least favorite. My favorite is a meandering creek, just like thirteen in Augusta. You know, something that's rugged. I love that it's I think any hole with that is automatically awesome. And then my least favorite are the metal the metal retaining walls on ponds. There are some good courses that have you know, Madonna has them. Actually, I'm just if you're gonna do it, I like it to be the die kind of railroad ties. I don't really like that either, but at least that's better than metal. So those are my those are my two water hazard thinks.
Speaker 3: All right, So, oh, this is from Derek from Matt toon how high do you have to finish in a tournament in order to send out a tweet or Facebook post thanking the tournament officials and host courses. He's asking for a friend.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say, not applicable. I think you should always send send out a tweeter a Facebook post because it's it's a gentlemanly sport, and that's a very pros pro gentleman move.
Speaker 3: I agree, if you are a true gentleman, you'll send out a post every time.
Speaker 2: I think it looks even better if you, you know, missed a cut or finished seventy third, it looks even better.
Speaker 3: I would also throw in a congrats to the winner great playing. Didn't see that score out here unless you won, right.
Speaker 2: That's always a nice thing to do.
Speaker 4: Good sportsmanship, all right, So uh, let's see you got any good war stories from the from the am game.
Speaker 2: Like I saw that Walker asked about the about Stu Hagastad getting his club stolen the other day. It actually reminded me of this really funny story in college. I had a teammate that was his roommate was a like a longtime friend since they were four or five years old. His roommate was a little bit of a shady guy, and my buddy left his house for some reason for a couple of days. I think he went home to see his parents. And he got back and he couldn't find his golf clubs, and he's asking his roommate and he's wondering, what's going on. You know, someone just walked in the house and took my clubs, Like, what's going on? It's you know, it says yeah, his name on it and everything, and as it when they filed the police report, as it turned out, his roommate had taken them to a pawn shop and put them on layaway, you know, to go gamble. Thinking he would win the money, get the clubs back in his roommate would be none the wiser, But that blew up in his face. That's immediately the first thing I thought of when I saw that. Just a ridiculous story.
Speaker 3: So I used to when I was when I was single, I'd still try and compete in weekend events and i'd be, you know, out blazing a trail in the city of Chicago. And I'd recently started seeing a girl, and I played really bad on Saturday in this tournament, and I had the first tea time out on Sunday morning, and I was like, you know what, you know, fuck it, I'm going out. And I met up with this girl and ended up out like all night, and like sure enough, like six am rolls around and I'm like, I gotta go play golf tournament and I get out the course and I just felt all kinds of awful and it was you know, you had to walk and oh god, oh it was horrendous. But you know, I come out and I just I hit the ball to like inside of three feet the first three holes, and all of a sudden, I'm like three under through three and I was like, oh my god, I would need to do this more often. You know, it quickly unraveled. I ended up shooting like I think I made a ten on the last hole for eighty four, and it was just a disastrous day. I got off the golf course and I was wearing sunglasses the whole round, and one of my playing partners saw me and was like, oh my.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Then I went home and I think I slept till the next morning, and then I went to work and was like, oh, what a disastrous weekend.
Speaker 2: Playing playing hungover. For me, ball striking is usually not the issue. It's putting, and it's more specifically speed putting. I've been like fifteen feet, you know, a little down the hill, and I'll have twenty two feet coming back, like stuff you can't even imagine. We're just like, how.
Speaker 1: Did that happens?
Speaker 3: Kyle and I played together in this invitational. It was handicapped this year, and it started on Saturday, and they had like this dinner slash party on Friday night, and we're talking to each other and we're like, all right, We're just we're not going to get too drunk tonight. And sure enough, like we ended up having way too many drinks and we had it was a handicap event. We had to add shots on this part three, so that the whole time we were worried about this second hole, which is this tough little downhill park.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: We both hit it to like inside fifteen feet and it's the second hole of the day.
Speaker 1: I think we'd either birdied or part of the first.
Speaker 3: We're like slapping hands and we're like, yeah, we're gonna make We're gonna make it worset par you know we're gonna.
Speaker 2: I think we literally looked at each other on the way to the green and said, oh man, that's huge. Nice job, got it over with.
Speaker 1: Then Kyle four putt at three but.
Speaker 3: Not good, not good at all, and we walked off.
Speaker 2: Were a little shaken.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that was it. That was a disaster. It's uh, there's there's a lot of good stories, all right. Let's get into overrated. Underrated Louis overrated, underrated from andy.
Speaker 2: Ka underrated for sure. I think we already we already talked about why he's a borderline Hall of Famer, right and he.
Speaker 3: He's gotta he's underrated. He makes the rare case of he's underrated in America. I've been in in South Africa. He's probably overrated, possibly Wannamaker Trophy.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say underrated. It is a major. You can never underestimate a major win right, so many, I mean, it's what everyone, all those guys are playing for. Plus it's slept with Jason Duffner and he has pretty good taste in what he's sleeping with. So underrated.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say it's underrated also because of how big it is. Like I always think about the trophies I see on like the European Tour, and they're like massive, like you know, you win like swords and like accepters like out of Game of Thrones. Yeah, like they have awesome trophies. And then like you see the the the Players is like this little tiny piece of crystal, and like the US opens pretty small. But then like the Watermaker Trophy is like it's a big, big trophy. Like I think with trophies, size is underrated. It's got it Like I want to win a big ass trophy just like I want to get.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want a big ass check too, you know.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah for sure.
Speaker 3: If I was a tour pro, just like Happy Gilmore, I demand the big check.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get one this question in because I like it and it's kind of crazy Rory's poor twenty seventeen versus DJ's twenty seventeen. The media has been talking a lot about Rory wasting this season and basically who had a worst year, Rory or DJ.
Speaker 3: So I think this question, if it's one question, is if you look at the majors, and it's another if you look at the overall season, because like.
Speaker 1: DJ, one.
Speaker 3: Riviera, which is probably the strongest non WGC or major championship field, So he won that, and then he won two WGC events, which are you know, essentially major type fields but just smaller, so you know you've got the top sixty four seventy five players. So if you look at that, DJ clearly had the better year, but it was extremely disappointing what he did in the majors. If you look at just strictly the majors, then I think Rory had a better year.
Speaker 2: I agree one hundred percent. You look at I mean DJ, his average finish in the Open and the PGA was thirty three and a half. He missed the cut in the US Open, and he self inflicted missed the Masters where Rory with a seventh, a fourth, and a twenty second and then obviously the miscut at Aaron Hills. I don't even think there's a comparison there. Rory's year blue DJs out of the water in the Majors, and yeah, you know that's at the end of the day, that's what everyone remembers. So I'm gonna say DJ's was much more disappointing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, the thing everybody was talking about DJ. This just goes to all of golf and how people just overreact about golfers and like hot hot streaks. Because we saw DJ's kind of run through last year after the US opened till this year's Masters somewhat mirrored Jason's days before him when from the end of twenty fifteen through twenty sixteen, where I mean he was unstoppable. But like those guys, like you know, they had like a good twelve months of sustain being the best player in the world. Then you see like JT, like early in the year, everybody was like, is he better than Jordan Speith? And you you still get that now. But like I think golf, Tiger spoil everybody into thinking that you could have a you know, we're gonna see a guy that just dominates golf for a really long period of time, and the reality is that's not gonna happen.
Speaker 2: No. I mean it looked like after DJ won in Mexico, he was gonna win literally every event the rest of the year. Then he falls down the stairs or whatever happened at the Masters, and uh, you know, not the same guy. And that's what the time off will do to you. But you brought it up. So which is who's the better player, Justin or Jordan?
Speaker 3: I think it depends on the golf course.
Speaker 1: I think they're both.
Speaker 3: They're both world class talents. If you're playing a golf course that's ultra demanding tea to green, I'm gonna go with Justin Thomas. But if it's a golf course that's a little bit more strategic and more about you know, thinking and more and more challenging around the greens, I'm gonna go with Jordan Speth.
Speaker 2: I'm going to say Speath And if I had to put money on who would have the better career, it would be Speed. But I think Justin Thomas has the higher ceiling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would agree with that.
Speaker 3: I think that I think Speth like Justin Thomas is going to miss a lot more cuts and majors than Jordan Speith, is right, and Jordan Speith, Jordan Speed's floor is just so high, whereas I think his ceiling isn't quite as high because he doesn't have the the power that that Thomas has. You know, Thomas has that that power that you see from guys like Rory. He's he's not quite like Rory or DJ, but he's he's right there and then and and that gives him a little bit of an advantage. I think he's when his ball striking is on, he's I mean, he's pretty hard to stop. I So I would.
Speaker 1: Say, yeah, I think that's that's I.
Speaker 3: Mean, So how would you, uh, how would you kind of rate how would you rank the young stars? Like if you had to go one through five with here, I'll pull it up. So I'm going to give you, like you're betting on these guys career.
Speaker 1: You've got Jordan Hideki.
Speaker 3: Justin Thomas, John Rahm, and we'll throw Brooks is a little older than those guys. Now Ricky's older too. We'll throw uh, we'll throw Daniel Berger in there.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's a good one.
Speaker 3: So those five guys, who who do you think, like, how would you rank them as far as like what you would expect career wise having the best career.
Speaker 2: Boy I eye test. I want to say Hideki, but obviously that we talked about is putting. I'm gonna say Speak one, rom two, Hideki three, j T four, Burger five. It's hard to say, you know, I just put j T four on that list. That's that seems disrespectful almost, but that's a tough list. That's all. That's five good good players, great players.
Speaker 3: It's kind of crazy. You could put Thomas Peters in there too. Yep, that's good. So I yeah, I think i'd go. Mine would look oh man, see one of the things with rom.
Speaker 1: Is he's already twenty three, Like he's.
Speaker 3: Only say rom one so bad, No I don't, but like he's twenty three, Like that's something that gets lost because he's just he's new and.
Speaker 2: It's right, plus he looks old too.
Speaker 3: It's it's like Hideki's been playing professional golf for like four years. He's twenty five, so it's like you know rom and and then like the same with speed Speed turn pro at what twenty or twenty one or nineteen?
Speaker 1: Did he turn pro?
Speaker 2: No? I think he played two years of Texas and then turn pro right? Or did you just play one?
Speaker 3: I think he just played one?
Speaker 2: Wow, So he was nineteen then.
Speaker 3: So it's like like that's something that always gets lost as age when you when you think about.
Speaker 1: And Burger, I think Burger is like Burger.
Speaker 3: Is a guy that could end up being like three of those guys that you have to at this point. I you know what, I'm going Speth Hideki. I love rom I so I'm going to speath Haideki j t Berger Rom. I'm just I'm in on Burger.
Speaker 2: I like Burger. I mean I love Burger's game. We both actually said in the last podcast that we thought he had a good chance to win. Didn't It didn't happen, but he missed. Yeah, of course the MC draft kings down to Dube no million dollars.
Speaker 3: Yeah it is. There's so many great young players. I mean, see Wu Kim you could put in there. He only twenty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's young and very very good. I think he has that you know, back issue I'm sure is due to his teacher. But we'll see, Uh, we'll see what if he can stay healthy. But if he can, for sure, there's a lot of young guys with a ton of talent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then uh, all right, any tea times on the t sheet that are overrated or underrated, you got, you got anything on this.
Speaker 2: I don't know what I have from much. I don't know that I have much on it. I think that it offer me. It all depends on weather. If the weather, if you know it's all you, it's it all. It's all weather based. Sometimes I like going out early in the morning. Sometimes I like playing late in the afternoon, whether it's fun. In a tournament, I feel like I score a little better. I'm a little more awake in the afternoon, but the winds a little calm are usually in the morning, So I I really have no no preference.
Speaker 3: I would say the only thing I like noticeably prefer is if I'm in like a multi day event and there's thirty six holes, I really like having a late tea time the first day, early morning the second because I'm with you, because I feel like I can take the afternoon if I play well. Like basically, you get home, you go to sleep, and you're awake the next day and it's like, you know, there's very little disconnected.
Speaker 1: Like there's nothing worse than you play.
Speaker 3: A really good round and then you have to wait like over twenty four hours to play again.
Speaker 2: Plus you're thinking about it, and you're you know, you're seeing the scores come in and you're seeing how good players, some good players, you know, shot poor scores, and you're like, oh, man, I didn't know that was out there. Convincing yourself you know you could possibly play now, there's just a whole that for sure. I like late early.
Speaker 3: Yeah, late early is especially Yeah, I late early I'm a big fan of. But other wise, you know, it's it's nice to get the one. It's nice to have the greens really nice early in the morning. But it's sometimes I feel like I drink too much coffee or stuff. I you know, that's a that's my one of my I always struggle figuring out what the proper coffee intake is.
Speaker 2: I have always wondered that because I drink a lot of coffee me too.
Speaker 3: It's I'd love to I'd love I wonder if there's anybody on tour that's like a coffee specialist.
Speaker 2: I'm sure the hair has they got everything. I I always wonder that too, because I I've gotten coffee at the turn before in big events, and you know I've played fine. I I don't think it's probably good for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but me, I mean i'd like to know.
Speaker 2: I guess i'd like to know. What I'd like to know is how bad is it for me performance wise?
Speaker 3: I can't believe it would be bad if you're used to it, like in your in your like a sleep.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean it's probably not great to have a downhill four foot left to right slider after drinking two and a half cups of coffee, but maybe yeah.
Speaker 3: All right, Well we'll end it there. Nobody needs to hear any more about how much coffee we drink. All right, Well, thanks for coming on, and thanks for all the questions from the listeners, and let us know if you got new questions for next time, and we'll talk to you in a little while.