Speaker 1: Pushkin.
Speaker 2: That was really the moment that I realized whatever future I'd imagine for myself not only wasn't going to happen in the way that I'd planned, but that I might not get to exist in the future at all.
Speaker 1: Suleka Jawad was diagnosed with an aggressive form of leukemia when she was twenty two years old. As she faced her mortality, she felt clarity about how exactly she wanted to spend her time.
Speaker 2: I felt a real sense of liberation to do the things I wanted to do simply because they nourished me, because they felt life giving, and not because they were the things I thought I should be doing. And so for the first time in my life, I began creating entirely for myself.
Speaker 1: On today's episode, why Survival is its own kind of creative act, I'm Maya Shunker and this is a slight change of plans, a show about who we are and who we become in the face of a big change. Okay, so full confession. I'm obsessed with Suleka Jawad. Her mind and heart speak to me in a way few people do. I followed her writing from Afar over the years, and I found her honesty so startling at times, it's taken my breath away. Suleka is unafraid to tackle some of the hardest questions we fine as humans. When she first started working on her memoir, a friend told her about a saying they'd heard. If you want to write a good memoir, share what you don't want other people to know about you. If you want to write a great memoir, share what you don't want to know about yourself. Suleka wrote a great memoir. The title of her book, Between Two Kingdoms, a Memoir of a Life Interrupted, is a nod to the writer Susan Sontagg. Sontag wrote that everyone who is born holds dual citizenship in the Kingdom of the well and in the Kingdom of the sick. Suleka writes about her experience in both these kingdoms and the difficulty of navigating the space that lies between them. Her story begins in twenty ten. She just graduated from Princeton University and had big dreams for the road ahead.
Speaker 2: So much of my sense of self worth, like most Type A strivers, was wrapped up in my plans for the future, and I had all kinds of one year and five year and ten year plans, and I had a dream of becoming a war correspondent. I wanted to report from North Africa, where I'm originally from, where my entire family currently lives. But also, like a lot of twenty two year olds, I had no idea what the future actually had in store for me. I had lots of daydreams and plans that I didn't really know who I buys met. And so what I decided to do was to take a job as a parent legal and a law firm in Paris, and to take the time I needed to find my way. And you know, there was this sense of endless time, as there often is when you're young. Time to figure out what you want, time to figure out who who you want to become, and how to plot the distance between you and that person. And so I was brimming with joy, bringing with a little bit of anxiety about finding my way forward, but it was really this sense of being on the edge of something exciting. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So you had had worrying health symptoms for some time, and when you were in Paris things got worse. Can you tell me about how your health was starting to fail?
Speaker 2: It began with an itch, this relentless, maddening itch on my skin that popped up during my senior year of college, and followed by that was fatigue and frequent infections and viruses. But every single time I went to a doctor, they would look at whatever specific ailment I was coming in, treat that, and then send me home. And so it took about a year and a half until I was about six months into my time in Paris, and I had grown so pale that my skin looked almost translucent, and I was so exhausted that I was drinking, you know, up to eight espressos every day to get through my job at the law firm, and spending my lunch hour napping in the office closet. That it began to occur to me that something was deeply wrong. But as is often the case, especially for young people, especially for women, the challenge of getting an actual diagnosis proved to be so much harder than I possibly could have imagined. You know, we have so many examples throughout history where a woman's physical affliction is attributed to their mind, to a sense of hysteria, and that's very much how I felt. I kept saying, I think something is wrong. I've never been sick in my life. I've never even broken a bone, and I can barely function. I so often would find myself on an exam table, feeling like I wasn't being taken seriously, feeling like I wasn't being believed. A doctor I saw prescribed anti anxiety medications to me. Another that hospitalized me for a week and ran every test they could think of release me with a discharge of burnout syndrome. And I felt this sense of intimidation that I think many of us have felt when we're in a doctor's office, the sense that they had the medical degrees, not me. Who was I to question their judgment? And so at the end of this confusing year and a half, ultimately I found my self in an emergency room in Paris with blood counts so low that I had to immediately get on a plane back home to Upstate New York because if they dropped any lower, I wasn't going to be able to fly at all. And it was shortly thereafter that I learned I had been diagnosed with an aggressive form of leukemia. And it was one of those bifurcating moments in a life where even though at twenty two I couldn't really wrap my head around what this illness meant for me. I didn't have friends who had suffered from cancer, and I didn't really have anything to sort of give me an indication of what it was going to be like. But I knew immediately that whatever sense of innocence I've had had been buried and everything was going to be different from there on out.
Speaker 1: What were you told about your prognosis at the time, and what was it like to leave behind all of those dreams and hopes that you had been carrying, just you know, weeks prior about what your future was going to look like.
Speaker 2: So initially I did all the googling that they tell you not to do, and I knew from the very start that my prognosis was not good, that the cards were stacked against me. They told me I had about a thirty five percent chance of long term survival. But when I entered the hospital, I still had a kind of naivete about what this whole experience is going to be like. I packed a suitcase full of books like War and Peace, and I cheerfully announced my parents that I was going to use this summer in the hospital to read through the rest of the Western canon. I thought I was going to write a book. I thought it was going to do all these things, and of course I didn't end up doing any of those things. And it was a slow crushing realization that to hold on to the person I'd been, and all of the dreams and plans that that person had, was only going to be a recipe for defeat and discouragement. And by the end of that summer, I had lost about forty pounds. I had lost on my hair and my eyelashes, my eyebrows. But worse than that, I had learned that the standard chemotherapy I'd been doing all summer not only hadn't worked, but that my leukemia was even more aggressive, and that my only option was going to be a clinical trial.
Speaker 1: You went from assuming that you were going to have this relatively short stay, I mean not just so like in your case, but like highly productive reading war and peace stay, which by the way, will never ever be in the cards for me ever, no matter what illnesses I face. I'm more in the mindy Kaling, you know, memoirs face. And then and then you find out this devastating news, which is okay, you're going to have to enter this clinical trial. What was it like to have the goalpost change like that.
Speaker 2: I was devastated. I remember it so clearly. It was the morning of my twenty third birthday, and I had packed up everything in my room because I wanted so badly to be discharged. I had taken down the posters and the getball cards. And the hope from the very beginning was that I would get into remission. But theallenge was that I not only couldn't get into remission, but my leukemia was running rampant throughout my entire body. I felt when I received that news, the scaffolding inside of me crumble. It felt like a breach of contract with the natural order of things, because youth and health are supposed to go hand in hand. And that began a very different chapter where I really retreated into myself. I had this window overlooking Central Park from my hospital room, which was a great privilege to have landed in this room by chance. And I remember closing the blinds because what had once brought me comfort to be able, you know, to see the world continuing to move, suddenly felt like a reminder that whatever future I'd imagine for myself, not only wasn't going to happen in the way that I'd planned, but that I might not get to exist in the future at all. And so for the next couple of months, I sank into a pretty deep well of depression. I no longer wanted to have visits from friends, I stopped reading, stopped making plans. I instead filled my days by trying to set the world record for the number of Gray's Anatomy episodes watched consecutively. And I was angry. I remember, you know, being told stories of cancer survivors who had gone on to do extraordinary things, and feeling such rage at the idea that anything about what I was living could be useful, could be turned into anything other than what it was, which was a deep sense of isolation and a deep sense of fear about what was to come.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when I told you you'd have to enroll in this clinical trial, what was the chance of a successful outcome?
Speaker 2: I had no idea, And that's what made it especially challenging. The clinical trial that I enrolled in was a phase two clinical trial, meaning they not only didn't know if it was safe, but they had no idea if it was going to be effective. Okay, and It really required what I can only describe as a leap of faith to submit my body, to submit my family to what ended up being a harrowing and grueling experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do wonder whether it was ever a question of whether you were going to go through with the treatment. I could easily imagine myself saying, like, please, everyone I love, spare me this pain and suffering, Like I'd rather just go.
Speaker 2: We had so many difficult conversations as a family, especially because the side effects of the clinical trial were so brutal that they became nearly lethal on a number of vacations, and I ended up spending about four out of the next eight months and isolation in the hospital, warding off everything from septic shock to life threatening infections and fevers. And that was the impossible Sophie's choice. Is this going to kill me? Is this going to save me? But I would say things to my parents sometimes when I felt I was really in a low down place, that you know, maybe I was better off stopping the clinical trial, doing some kind of make a wish bucketless trip to some tropical island and smoking pot and doing whatever else it was that I wanted to do, And more than anything to really savor whatever time I had left with them, with my friends, with my loved ones, rather than torturing myself with these treatments. But I had this amazing oncologist, the late doctor James Holland, who, when I was at my most defeated place, began during his lunch hour coming to my hospital room with his paper bag of sandwiches and sitting by my bed and talking to me, not about my latest biopsy results or blood counts, but he would ask me what I majored in in college, what my most daring dreams were, what I wanted to do after all of this was over. And it always confused me because I felt like, he's this busy man, you know, why is he doing this? And I realized now that he was reminding me of who I was outside of these hospital rooms and trying to keep that sense of hope alive for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it sounds like you were forced to stare death in the face, and I'm wondering whether it shifted your perspective on anything or taught you something about yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I think the experience of confronting death strangely can have a clarifying effect, all the artifice got stripped away, and for me, I've felt my self rerouting my priorities. What had felt important even just a few months before no longer mattered. It didn't matter that I'd strived and strived and strived. It didn't matter that I had all of these ambitions, or that I had been a hard worker. What mattered to me was simple. I wanted to spend as much time with my loved ones as I could, and I think what it did for me was that it released me from any sense of self imposed or external expectation. For the first time in my life, I was free of expectation for the first time in my life. My parents were overjoyed and would pat me on the back if I managed to walk half a block to come home. That's how low the bar was set for me. And what surprised me is that I felt a real sense of liberation to do the things I wanted to do simply because they nourished me, because they felt life giving, and not because they were the things I thought I should be doing. And so, for the first time in my life, I began creating entirely for myself. I began keeping a journal that I used as a sort of reporter's notebook, where I would you write about the different patients I was befriending, you know, the guy down the hall who was trying to encourage everyone to mount a hunger strike because our meal trace kept arriving with the food still frozen. I wrote about the nurses and the gossip that i'd overhear by their station.
Speaker 1: The real life Anatomy flat life, exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: I once asked a young resident if her life resembled the cast of Grace Anatomy in any way, and she told me that everyone slept around just as much, but that everyone was also far less attractive, which was fun for me because I got to sort of project all sorts of steamy plot twists to everyone coming into my room. But I was doing things for the first time in my life without any sense of it leading to something, without worrying about productivity or output.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: That is so powerful, and it just strikes me as I look at my own life. I don't think I've ever experienced a period of my life in which I did not feel almost an obsessive need to be productive and meet expectations.
Speaker 2: I think most of us feel that way. That was something I also hadn't experienced, probably from the time that I was like four or five years old, when I can make a big, glorious mess with finger paints and revel in the mass and not worry about if it was any good. And I think, you know, shedding that pressure to do something well allowed me to play and to experiment with different forms in a way that I wouldn't have allowed myself. I wouldn't have allowed myself the time to just try things for the health trying them. Yeah, to read things because they piqued my interests and I didn't know why. And I had never had that luxury of time, which is an irony, because of course, you know, time felt more precious and fleeting than ever before. And in writing in that way, I wasn't concerned with writing well or beautifully or even gramatically. I was really interested in pushing myself to dig for the truth beneath the truth, beneath the truth. I wasn't trying to impress anyone. I wasn't trying to sound smarter than I was to imitate anyone. I was just following the threat of curiosity wherever it led me. And so because I was so mired an uncertainty. I had no idea what the next couple of hours were going to bring, let alone the next day or the next week. And because initially that writing was just for myself, for the first time in my life, I felt like I had finally found my voice.
Speaker 1: We'll be back in a moment. With a slight change of plans against the odds, and after months of grueling chemotherapy and extreme isolation, Suleka's clinical trial was deemed a success. The next step in her treatment would be a bone marrow transplant, a high risk, complex procedure and her only chance at survival. As her transplant approached, she began reflecting on what exactly she wanted to say about her experience with cancer.
Speaker 2: I began to read every illness narrative that I could get my hands on, but so many of them, the beautifully written and wrenching and profound, didn't speak to me, because more often than not, they were written from the perspective of someone who had survived. And I started to notice that there was this kind of hero's journey arc to illness narratives, where you return from the thing that nearly killed you better and braver and stronger for what you've been through, and that couldn't have applied less to me. I was terrified, I was struggling, I was isolated, and I wanted to put all of that into ink. And so what I began to do was to write about the very things that felt impossible to talk about. I wrote about the infertility caused by my cancer treatments. I wrote about the experience of falling in love while falling sick. I wrote about the in betweenness of young adulthood. I wrote about navigating our healthcare system and all of its complexities. I wrote about the sense of guilt and the feeling of being a burden that so often comes when you're acutely sick. I wrote about all of it. Tony Morrison said, if you want to read a book and it doesn't exist, then you must write it. And so I think, in my own small way, that was my version of doing that. And so I decided, because I was pretty limited within my options, to start a blog, a really simple blog, and it felt so good to have a job that I could do other than merely being a patient. And to my great surprise, the blog was passed around and the journalism professor of mine sent it along to an editor at the New York Times, and she called me up and asked if I might want to publish an essay. And because I was facing the possibility of imminent death, I shot my shot and I said, I don't want to write an essay. What I'd like to write is a weekly column written from the trenches of that uncertainty where you don't know how the story is going to end. And I went on and on and on, and at the end of it, to my great surprise and then terror her, she said, okay, we will try it for a couple of installments and see how it goes. And I had never been published before, I never had a byline, and certainly not in a place like the New York Times. And what began as elation immediately turned to a sense of, Oh shit, how am I.
Speaker 3: Going to pull this off?
Speaker 1: What did it feel like to put these essays this call them out into the world while you were so unbelievably sick and going through the bone marrow transplant.
Speaker 2: It was extraordinarily challenging, in large part because I had new limitations. I was exhausted, I was physically ill in ways that were unpredictable, and so I would work in these short ten minute installments throughout the day and take naps in between. And it was slow and plotting and frustrating, and of course through many moments where I felt, you know, this deep sense of anger at how different my body was, and I felt the sense of my ambition, you know, bumping up against my limitations. But it was also an exercise for me, a first lesson really in not only accepting those limitations, but trying to find creative workarounds. And it occurred to me as I started to look to examples throughout history of artists and writers who found themselves in similar situations, that the limitations could actually be creatively generative themselves. So I was obsessed with Free to Callo, who had a similar age, had, of course, found herself in bed and began making these beautiful, heartbreaking self portraits that led to her becoming one of the most well known artists throughout time. I read Sarah Manguso, I read Lucy Grayley, and I began to get curious about how my limitations will challenging were actually twisting my mind out of its usual rut. And I began to realize that, really, you know, survival is its own kind of creative act. When you have chemo sores in your mouth and throat that make it impossible to speak, you have to find new ways to communicate. When you're confined to a bed, you have to use your imagination to travel when you can't move, you have to find new ways of entertaining yourself. And so I began to get curious about that and open to whatever it was that emerged.
Speaker 1: And what was the response like to the column.
Speaker 2: The column, which was called Life Interrupted, launched during that first week in the Bone Mirror transplant unit, and it was such a bizarre moment of contrast because I was sicker than I'd ever been. And the morning after the column went live, I opened my inbox and found hundreds and hundreds of letters and notes from people all across the world. And after being so profoundly isolated for a year, it was like this portal had opened onto the rest of the world, and I felt a sense of connection that I hadn't felt before. I heard from a young man down the hallway from me in the transplant unit who was going through the same thing I was going through, And I never met anybody my age with my same illness. And I'll never forget one day when I was being wheeled down the hall to get a CT scan, I paused at this door and we couldn't meet because the germ risk was too high. But I knocked on the window and he waved and I waved, and just that tiny little moment, that sense of being seen and known and that you're not alone, and that particular kind of suffering, gave me a sense of hope that fueled me in those coming weeks. What surprised me most though, was I wasn't just hearing from young people with cancer. I was hearing from all kinds of people dealing with all kinds of life interruptions. And one of the very first letters I received was from a man by the name of Quinn Jones who was on death row in Texas, and he had read a column where I'd written about that sense of being in solitary confinement as I was, that sense of waiting for a verdict that is going to determine your future. For me, of course, you know that verdict meant biopsy results and all kinds of other tests. And he wrote me this beautiful letter in long hand cursive, and he explained that he had been on death row for more than half his life, from the age of eighteen, and that even though, of course our circumstances were different, he understood how it felt to be confronting your mortality and waiting to find out where the gavel landed. And it was just one of the most humbling, dizzying experiences I've got had. But more than that, you know, I think there's a way in which, when you're in pain, that pain can turn you selfish, and in a way it's necessary. You have to be preoccupied with what's happening with your body and accounting how you're feeling, and you know, making sure that you're keeping yourself alive. But in the act of writing, in the act of daring to be vulnerable, which had felt frightening and uncomfortable, I realized that deep, unvarnished vulnerability creates a reverberation where vulnerability begets vulnerability begets vulnerability. And so in writing my story, I was getting the privilege of hearing so many stories from so many different people, from so many different walks of life, and it was I think a much needed reminder for me that we all have these life interrupted moments, these things that happen that bring you to the floor. And there was a kind of equalizing sense to that, a sense that I wasn't alone, and that I wasn't special, and that I was part of, you know, the human experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm getting emotional in this moment because one of those messages was for me.
Speaker 2: I remember I.
Speaker 1: Read I think I reached out to you on Facebook, but I was I think we're around the same age I was in my early twenties. I remember when your first column came out. I remember experiencing I mean again nothing, Well, we're not supposed to compare suffering, so I'm not going to do that for your sake, for your Olympics. I know, no suffering lipings, but I had been experiencing just one of the most acute, crippling bouts of anxiety that I had ever experienced, and You're your column was so transformative for me. So like, thank you, I guess in hindsight for the way that you made me feel in that moment and for what you did for young like twenty something my I mean, I can't imagine the number of lives that you be touched through the column, but just a personal thank you from me for that.
Speaker 2: Now I'm crying. Luckily this is a podcast on the Drippy Masskcara.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But I think what's interesting looking back is when I sent you that note, like, I wasn't ready to be vulnerable about the anxiety that I was facing, but it was enough for me as a reader to see that you were like, that's part of the equation for progress is you just see it reflected in someone else, and you'll take your own time with whatever your own things are, but eventually you'll feel comfortable talking about them.
Speaker 2: I feel the same way, and I think you know more than a writer. I'm a reader first, and part of why I've always been a wrath and this reader, you know, from the time I was very little, was that moment that I'm sure you've had that maybe someone listening has had, where you're reading a novel or a memoir or a poem and you glimpse a sense of recognition, a sense of being known, or of thinking, oh, I didn't know. I was allowed to admit that I didn't know. I was allowed to feel that or to say that. And that is the moment that I'm always looking for when I'm reading, and it's the moment I'm always striving for when I'm creating and writing.
Speaker 1: Well, mission accomplished. So just to bring listeners up to speed on your situation. So, the bone marrow transplant ended up being a success, but even though you were now in remission, your treatment did not end there right. You would need to take maintenance chemotherapy for several years to help prevent the leukemia from coming back. I'm so curious to know what was that period of time like for you.
Speaker 2: It was a strange time in my life because you know, I felt this pressure to get back to it, to get back to the land of the living. But the reality was that my transplant and the treatment I had done had left these permanent imprints on my life, everything from really reckoning, say with the loss of my fertility and the idea of motherhood as I'd known it, to a deep sense of anxiety. I think that comes when the ceiling has caved in on you and you no longer assume structural stability. I didn't feel safe in my body. Every cough sparked a fear of relapse. Every voicemail from the doctor's office would send my pulse racing, and I think, you know, more than anything. When I was finally done, what that meaning schemo. When the port in my chest was removed, I expected to feel a deep sense of gratitude and relief, and more than that, I expected to quickly and organically fold back into the world of the living. But that didn't happen, at least not in the way that I'd hoped. I was really struggling. I had spent at that point four years in the kingdom of the sick that had been my whole world, and I had figured out, you know, how to build a home for myself there. I'd even curved out a career within its conscience. And to my surprise, it was the outside world that suddenly felt scary and overwhelming to me. I was no longer a patient and I couldn't go back to twenty two year old me. But I had no idea who I was and how to find my way forward, and I felt a deep sense of shame. Because I was alive. I was lucky to be alive. I knew that so well. Out of the ten young cancer comrades as we called each other that I befriended during my time and treatment, only three of us were still there, and I felt that I should move on with my life. And as it turned out, moving on begin to feel more like a mirage or a myth, because we don't get to compartmentalize the most painful parts of our past. We can't, you know, skip over the hard work of healing and graving, and so instead I began the long journey not of moving on, but of trying to find my way forward, to move forward with all that had happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and listening to you, I'm hearing what a unique kind of loneliness post remission life presents to a person because and it's so rarely spoken about, which is there's this idea, you know, you're one of the lucky ones, Uleka, just like, go take your success story and move on. And it's such a disservice to the transition and how hard.
Speaker 3: That kind of re entry is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: It's when you're in the throes of cancer and you tell people I have aggressive leukemia. There's an instant kind of compassion or simply that they can lend you. When you tell people I'm a recent cancer survivor, you don't what they say is congratulations, congratulations, right, I mean, that's that's the problem, congratulations, whereas the reaction maybe, I mean it should be maybe congratulations, but like maybe not and if it is congratulations and is congratulations, and let's have a discussion, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so just tell me more more about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, you know, while on treatment, I'd had this cavalry of doctors and friends and family surrounding me, and pretty instantly when I got that all clear done with chemo, I had this sense that everyone around me thought it was over, maybe because they wanted so badly to think it was over, but it wasn't over, you know, really grappling with what I later understood to be PTSD post traumatic stress disorder. Because I had been so focused on surviving for four years, it hadn't even occurred to me that there's a wide gap between surviving and living, and that while I was an expert at surviving, I didn't know how to live. And in a strange sense, it was the hardest, most isolating transition because I didn't have treatment protocols, I didn't have doctors telling me what to do. I was entirely on my own to figure out how to make this transition and so at first, I, almost like an anthropologist might, was like looking around at my friends and thinking to myself, what is a normal, healthy twenty six year old women do and trying to emulate that, which, of course, you know, wasn't working. I was still healing physically from this experience, but more than that, emotionally and spiritually, And it took me a while to understand and acknowledge to myself that the hardest part of this experience was going to be its aftermath, because that's where my own work was going to begin. And as much as we think of recovery as some sort of gentle self care spree involving you know, massage, therapy and you know whatever else, for me, at least it was truly this kind of terrifying, brute act of discovery.
Speaker 1: Hey, thanks so much for listening. There's so much more of Suleka's story I want to share with you, So we've released a part two of our conversation that you can listen to. Now, we talk about the creative and adventurous way Suleka navigated her transition back to the Kingdom of the Well. We also talk about her recent experience re entering the Kingdom of the sick.
Speaker 2: Relapse was my biggest fear. It was this fear that I had nursed in the early years and that had slowly, little by little shrunk, but it was always a specter, and so to be confronted with that worst sphere for it to come to pass was devastating.
Speaker 1: The second part of the story is available now in the feed for A Slight Change of Plans. If you enjoyed our conversation, we on the Slight Change team would really appreciate if you could share this episode with someone you know who's going through their own life interrupted moment and need some help navigating that uncertainty. We'd also be grateful if you took a moment to follow the show on your podcast app of choice and to write a review. It helps more people discover the show and helps us keep making more episodes for you.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much. A Slight Change of Plans.
Speaker 1: Is created, written, and executive produced by me Maya Schunker. The Slight Change family includes our showrunner Tyler Green, our senior editor Kate Parkinson Morgan, our senior producer Trishia Bobida, and our engineer Eric oh Wang. Louis Scara wrote our delightful theme song and Ginger Smith helped arrange the vocals. A Slight Change of Plans is a production of Pushkin Industries, so a big thanks to everyone there, and of course a very special thanks to Jimmy Lee. You can follow a Slight Change of Plans on Instagram at doctor Maya Schunker.
Speaker 3: See you next week.