Speaker 1: Calls media.
Speaker 2: Briah, dang homie. This is a lot.
Speaker 1: I can't take credit for this because I heard it on the Slate Political gab Fest, which is a podcast I highly recommend and is oftentimes resource for me as I process all of these things. But they have this show every year called The Conundrum Show where it's people kind of call in. I mean, it is remarkably white, but my white card is strong. I can I know who Jeff Tweety is anyway. It's one that I've used oftentimes as like my favorite sort of like icebreaker or just yeah, just like a silly question to ask one of it is and it's a two parter. It's what's the worst thing you love? And then what's the best thing you hate? And I love it like it's it's such a great little like starter and hearing the different answers some people say, like the worst thing they love is like Kanye West, like his music where you're just like I he is the worst, but dangn when he's on, he's on. For me, it's harsh, like chemical cleaning products, like I feel like you need to feel dizzy when you clean the bathroom, like you should have accidentally made nerve gas, like mix autumn chemicals together. I'd like, that is the worst thing I love. Like, I love really harsh cleaning products, all the microplastic chemicals, like a one eighth delusion of chlorox got clean this mug.
Speaker 2: Nothing should survive.
Speaker 1: And then the best thing I hate is generally like when people have good boundaries, like around their phone, like if I text you, text me back, like if I call you, like answer my call.
Speaker 2: It's just it'd be doing something to me.
Speaker 1: When people have good boundaries around listen, I'll respond when I'm ready to respond, I'd be like, but but I'm important. That's the best thing I hate, because I know it's the best thing to have boundaries. But one thing my homeboy, Jay Gibbons said, which really is the reason why I bring this up, is Jay Gibbons. I just call him the Designated Shooter, an incredible rapper. He works for reach LA, which is a LGBTQ and queer advocacy a nonprofit in Los Angeles. I am a part of Jay's coming out story, like that's one of my closest friends.
Speaker 2: But one thing he said, he.
Speaker 1: Said, the the worst thing he loves is male privilege. He was like, I know, this is terrible, and he's saying this as a gay man. So he's just like, no, I'm still I'm sis, I'm cisgendered, you know what I'm saying. I'm just I just happen to be I just happen to be homosexual.
Speaker 2: But like.
Speaker 1: The privilege I have, He's like, I'm a black man. No, I get it, but the but the there are things that just come to me that I know are because of patriarchy. This is the worst thing, but it's I hate to admit it, but like sometimes it's good.
Speaker 2: Like and you can say this.
Speaker 1: As a black man too, in in in senses that we gotta find somewhere where we gotta where we gotta live up. And he is a black gay man, so like the intersections of suffering and oppression this my brother experiences is very real. So he's like, yeah, dude, it's it's male privilege. That's that's probably the worst thing. I love, which brings me to the privilege that I am going to ask some of you to exercise tap in with so out here in LA during these ice raids and just this, you know, modern Gustafo, like there's just no I don't know how else.
Speaker 2: There is no other way to explain this.
Speaker 1: Like you, you don't have the jurisdiction to arrest citizens, yet you're arresting citizens, Like you don't have to show your face. I'd like, there's you just just what it is. The government has given you the power to do this on American soil. Anyway.
Speaker 2: The privilege I have in this.
Speaker 1: Situation is a birth certificate and a passport, and I have used that privilege to walk with less fear. And another privilege is I'm clearly not Latino. Now I say that in a very ignorant way, because there's black people everywhere. There are black Latinos. But yo, ignorant ass yo is in these ice agents. Don't think that You not thinking like that? You looking for brown skin? Do you understand what I'm saying? So because of that, I'm clearly black as hell as soon as I open my mouth on black as hell.
Speaker 2: That's a privilege.
Speaker 1: So I am a lot less nervous around these people than anyone else should be.
Speaker 2: That's a privilege.
Speaker 1: But I'm gonna use that to stand in the way, to stand in the gap, and to be more bold and more outside than some other people should be. I have no problem going to the grocery store, driving and delivering your groceries. I have no problem getting on the phone and helping somebody get a job and be like, Yo, the shop is right down the street. You can walk down. You want me to go walk with you, I'll walk with you. Like I have no problem with that. I have no problem putting out these go fundmes, which again I can't thank y'all enough for supporting. I ain't no problem with that because I'm not scared of I have a privilege. My privilege is I was born at the Fox Hilles Hospital.
Speaker 2: In Inglewood, California.
Speaker 1: So like you ain't like you're not finna say nothing to me. But there's another privilege I have. As our nervous system continues to get riled up, we mister President of Peace, mister no more wars, as the homie on the Internet said, like, I'm not an expert in endings, but this looked a lot like a beginning the amount of things we need to be concerned about, Hell, Sudan, Congo, like it's still going on in Ukraine right now, mister, I'm gonna end this shit in two hours, Like what the We still ain't talked about the Big Beautiful Bill Act.
Speaker 2: Which still annoys me that it's called that.
Speaker 1: Y'all still losing your reproductive rights, Social Security fin a runout, Medicaid FINNA cost too much. Like there's so much that's not even considering. Here's enough thought. Let's just say, in a weird world, we were really justified for bombing a nuclear site where you think that radiation gonna go. There is so much to be concerned about. It is very possible, and I just like, if you don't think it's possible, I don't understand what you're not seeing. Listen, these kids who went through junior high and high school in a pandemic might have a chance to die in the Middle East, just like we did, and just like our big homies did in desert storm. Like, do you understand, like this is three to four generations fighting wars that ain't have shit to do with us. I'm stressed this is all happening. Listen, do you know that the water in Malibu in Santa Monica is unswimmable?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 1: Because La was on fire. It's so much going on. But you know what, though, if you can, it is a privilege to unplug. I'm going to encourage you, especially if you believe you want to stay in this fight with us.
Speaker 2: You want to stay in a justice fight. You gotta take breaks. Listen.
Speaker 1: It's hard for me to say this because again, it is a privilege. But since your city ain't being actively bombed, since you may or may not be afraid that ice might knock down your door, you have a chance to calm your nervous system down.
Speaker 2: It's a privilege.
Speaker 1: Since you don't live in Iran, you have a chance to unplug for a second. You have a chance to slow drip your information in. We can't all be lizard bring we can't all be in fight or flight. Listen, this is a lot and I know, like I'll give you a sports reality. You know, when the team down by down by thirty, you like, give me the rock. I don't want to take a break. I want to play the whole game. Bro, you can't play the whole game. You just can't. Can't play all forty eight minutes. Talk to them, Sophie. You have to take a break. You have to sit, You have to trust the team. You have to rest your knees. You're gonna turn into the gingerbread man like Anthony Davis, like you have to, you have to rest your knees. I am saying that while acknowledging that that is in fact a privilege. It is a privilege for me to sit down and record podcasts. It is a privilege for me to stand in the gap and take on all of your dumb ass comments on my social media.
Speaker 2: That's a privilege.
Speaker 1: It's a privilege for me to even talk and advocate for veterans who are also in my comment sections that are saying no is right.
Speaker 2: I served my country and it destroyed me.
Speaker 1: Like clearly, y'all, I ain't never had to talk somebody down who had a gun.
Speaker 2: To their head.
Speaker 1: You heard my voice crack, because it's real. You don't know the PTSD when these brothers come home. These were our friends. Our friends are still somewhere in the desert in Afghanistan. Oh, I'm looking at them right now. The hummy ain't been the same since, still getting night terrorists. Let me tell you something right now, I'm about to be real personally. My father was a Vietnam war vet. Do you know that? For at least twenty to thirty years after that, he wouldn't eat rice, and it was because of seeing bodies in rice fields. This shit is nothing to be excited about. So inas much as you can unplugged, man, take a break. Rest your knees. Please, I'm begging you, don't do them scroll. This is too serious right now and we need to be healthy and okay for those who don't have the privilege of taking a break. So when this tap in, I'm asking you to tap out.
Speaker 2: We got it.