Speaker 1: What's up. This is your boy DJ Manny Fresh and right.
Speaker 2: Here it's your boy juven is great. You know, four hundred degrees man, right here on the number one podcast of My dog Bootleg Cab.
Speaker 3: You're yo Boutlet CAV Podcast. Man, special guests in here. It's not every day we get two living legends walking into the Boutlet CAV podcast. But we got to right now, Man, A lot of people see, these guys are the soundtrack to my childhood. A lot of people meaning me Manny Freshman, Juvenile.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you, brother, thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 4: Finally I'm over here.
Speaker 1: Hey.
Speaker 3: I just want you all to know if you told, like the twelve year old me that this was happening, I would be fucking tripping balls for sure.
Speaker 5: So this is a man, I mean, bro in meeting you. You know, I appreciate when just the warm hello you came. You know, you was like, bro, like I'll fuck with you. You just like, dude, you don't even understand, you know, And that's the ship that you know, you know your mission is complete.
Speaker 1: When yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Felt like it's funny too. I think I told you on the first I was like, Bro, you don't understand how much of a big deal it was recently because for for whatever reason, I got that work was not on Spotify yea forever, and I was like tired of going on YouTube and pulling up the bullshit like YouTube uploads of yeah and so yeah. I mean that it wasn't for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's kind of like Project English m Yeah yeah, because you can't you can't find.
Speaker 3: So the twenty fifth anniversary of Back That Ass Up is, first of all, I always say this. I'm on video saying this a lot. It could go down as the greatest hip hop song of all time. And I say that with full confidence. I'm not saying it is or it isn't, but it very much well could be because I don't I can't think of the other song that you could play in peak hours of a nightclub for any crowd, and it just goes the fuck off to this day, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: It's like to me, like you're gonna get a bigger reaction than if you play like an usher, yeah, or you play too short blow the whistle, like these are other records about this record, like like back that Ass Up is like it's timeless forever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm all right, to your name.
Speaker 2: Two more songs. You're right, bro, that blow the whistle.
Speaker 5: Man, Yeah, blow the whistle is gonna be It's gonna be right there with you.
Speaker 3: But if you played at a bar Mitzvah, yeah, yeah, good club.
Speaker 2: It has happened.
Speaker 5: Yeah, wherever transleas with with anybody, like you know what I'm saying, klu Klux playing raby.
Speaker 2: K Yo.
Speaker 3: You can play back that ass up at a Cobblo rally or a Trump rally. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I've heard it all man.
Speaker 3: It's crazy though, because, like uh, I mean twenty five years later, I mean I've been seeing the tour stuff with the live band and just just the moment you guys have been creating with this. How does it feel to sell a ready with the fans in this manner?
Speaker 2: It's been fun, man, it's been real fun. It's been a blessing, you know, especially working with my big brother Man and we sanging songs that we've been singing for twenty five plus years and seeing the reaction from not only you know, the fans from back in the nine nine to two thousands, the new fans, like the fans that's been taught by their parents like bag them. You know, when mama was young, this was my song right here, that's what I used to listen to. This what we went out to. So man, just to be living it out right now in real time, is this crazy for us?
Speaker 3: Yeah? It's interesting too because when we think of four hundred Degrees, it's an album that has like stood the test of time. But it's also an album that, for whatever reason, I don't know why, we always will hear about like the Illmatics and the Reasonable Doubts and to get richard Ie Tryan's but I feel like four hundred Degrees has to be in that conversation more. I know it is certain people, but it's like it's one of those albums that's like up on the wall with like good Kid, Mad City, you know what I mean, Like one.
Speaker 1: Of the ones I think a lot of it was.
Speaker 5: We kind of took the nice guy approach, you know, were just like, we know what, We're gonna let the music speak for it. But it's obvious that we definitely got to be a voice about it and say it because it's like you said, you don't say nobody else because it's it's definitely like you said it should be in more conversations, you know, and because it is not only to the South the world like you know this, this this introduced a lot of people to Southern rap. You know this, This was like and it was a big deal for us to win the East Coast and the West Coast because that was always a dream as a kid. You know, we like we we I love New Orleans, but we like we want our records to be played everywhere, you know.
Speaker 1: And the dream was, you know, us growing up.
Speaker 5: We grew up on in w A, we grew up on you know what was with jay Z or whatever, and we accepted all of that New Orleans, but they wasn't accepting to us, like you know. So the big thing was, we want to hit these records in New York. We want to hear these records in California, you know what I'm saying. So that getting that accomplished was kind of it was more important than making money, you know what.
Speaker 2: I'm saying, and not just that doing it and being who we are doing it, you know, at the same time, not changing who we are to get the attention from New York or the West Coast, just doing our music and being who we are, staying authentic in that. I think that was the main thing with us, and then introducing people to to the whole New Orleans culture, you know.
Speaker 4: The way we act, the way we talk, the way we dress.
Speaker 2: I think that played a big role too, because we not only changed I feel like we not only changed the way people talk, we changed the way people dress. You know a lot of people started wearing T shirts and JA.
Speaker 3: Bowls, and I mean I was wearing a X because you guys, Yeah see you know what I'm saying. I had a fucking aver X leather I got from a Burlington co Factory and I wore that bitch during the summer in Arizona and it was like a four X. Imagine me, I'm in the eighth grade.
Speaker 2: Women. He had to get it way bigger than when it was closet.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm like, damn, I could make a sofa man money Now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're coming back. But you guys put those actions on the map. Yeah, I forget what photo shoot It was all us?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that was Yeah, that was a cash money Poto shop with everybody hot boys who was on the handleballs and stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Uh, you talked about kind of like when everyone's acceptance. You and jay Z have this like cool little run because he hopped on the Hot remix and then we were on volume three. How important was getting Hove to kind of because listen to be fair, when Hot came out, Hove wasn't quite Hove. Yeah, I mean, but he was still jay Z.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah in the South man in that time when when jay Z, you know, when he jumped on the song, it was a great move for both of us.
Speaker 3: And I'm a kidding, I say you were probably hotter than Hoe at that time.
Speaker 2: I wanted to break the ice in New York, and I'm pretty sure it was some grounds that he needed to cover in the South because a lot of people are we from.
Speaker 4: We wasn't really on ya.
Speaker 5: I was a fan of the crazy thing is me and Jew was the only two in cash Money who.
Speaker 2: We jumped on the song. We was our money.
Speaker 5: We was like, bro, man, that's it, you know in New York, you know, yeah, everybody was like, man, who is Who's.
Speaker 2: Like? What is it like? Rock?
Speaker 5: But that was important to even how we did songs. There was really no outside influence, you know what I'm saying. And that was more so because baby wanted to keep it all cash money if you if you, if you really think about it, the only features we probably ever had was bun be you know what I'm saying. Before I got yeah, you know what I'm saying. So that was the only feature that that is true.
Speaker 3: It was only you guys on everything.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, and so. But they didn't listen to outside music. They really did not listen to outside music, Like you know what I'm saying, And I'm just like, dude, there's a whole world outside of this.
Speaker 1: They like, nah, this gonna stay us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yo, I think obviously you know, uh blink blink is kind of what kicked off I guess the uh the money ship that you guys became so known for. But floss in season and then like the Big Timers albums, there was like.
Speaker 2: The Time albums I think really said the tone listen.
Speaker 3: But I would just have these visuals of like these cars that didn't exist and like all this jewelry and just like like I was like, yo, this these are the richest motherfuckers on the plane. Like where do they get the car with the steering wheel in the middle? But like, were you guys would y'all just be in the studio with like a dart board and be like like yo, yo, you know'd be crazy if we had this ship, let's put it away.
Speaker 2: We had this thing about we're gonna speak it into being the truth, you know, speaking into fruition. So you know, in the beginning, a lot of stuff we talked about we didn't have it, but it started. You know, it's you know, so then you know, things that we our imagination became our reality. Right, So then we were like, now we've got we got to take it to another level.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 5: We even had some arguments about it because because you think early on what we was trying to do and it did work, you know, and I think boosting them even followed this. The way we did it, we did stuff that was for the average dude. We just showed you how to fix it. You know, we had like PT cruises, We had Chrysler three hundred.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, you guys single handedly probably responsible for PT cruisers having a longer run.
Speaker 2: Than you know what I'm saying, Well, I forgot I got how I got that damn PC cruiser.
Speaker 5: But yeah, but we was you know, we figured out that it was more people like that than that lamb bow thing, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: And then baby turned into a monster.
Speaker 3: Of course, I remember when there was what was that Birdman song that came a little later with the they keep spinning about the.
Speaker 2: He started buying calls. He went crazy. Yeah, but man and being man and being you know, he being light on it for himself because many got I don't know how many calls we got. Man got over a hundred calls.
Speaker 3: It's funny because you're being manny fresh and you're like yo' he's like this. You're like you're very like unassuming, like you know, like you're not from the big timers, like you weren't all these records talking that man, you're.
Speaker 2: Talking about a lot of them call. Yeah, man, he got a lot of their calls. I'm gonna be honest with you. If you hear him say somethbody call, he got it. He got it, bro. He just built my lads car like.
Speaker 4: He got it.
Speaker 3: Are you you're still heavily messing with heavy old schools?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, what car did you schools? Wait?
Speaker 3: Wait wait the warehouse? Yeah yeah, I'm telling you, Jay Leno, like that card you own, I.
Speaker 5: Don't know, bro, don't clips you got. I don't even want to. I don't even want to count him. You know how you feel like that would be crazy?
Speaker 3: What's the over under?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Wow, so you got a fucking collection?
Speaker 2: Yeah, my son and bought a call from him. My first call from told me another call.
Speaker 3: You got to the other ship?
Speaker 1: What are you?
Speaker 2: When he said I sold juve the Beama, that's the truth he did.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't send his son nothing because when I send it, I know he's gonna go mess with him about it, like Brian sending you no more calls because you be bother your daddy by Like, man, I need.
Speaker 2: To get this, And I'm like, no, you know me right now about something you got? He got fress got a call with the ball in the back.
Speaker 5: Of it and Honda actors the little small little Honda trucks like they like little bitty little tiny trucks, you know what I'm saying. And I made mine into like a bar or whatever and where you can put bottles and all of that and it I'll show it till you have to, you know, before we get.
Speaker 4: You know, that's crazy, It's fantastic.
Speaker 3: You're like you know what, straight out the plastic.
Speaker 4: Still yeah, he's still stantastic.
Speaker 3: Like I'm bored, let me just trick out a Honda.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that shit's crazy.
Speaker 3: You need a fucking reality show. Somebody needs to put you on some sort of network. Jay Leno has a show, Manny Fresh needs to show.
Speaker 2: Isn't the words?
Speaker 3: Yo? I always wondered this because as a kid, I was a big No Limit fan, right, and then it felt like there was like a switch that happened when you guys came, and like I was like a big cash Money fan, and all my friends were big Cash Money fans. Obviously, Ghetto Dope is one of my favorite, you know albums. Ever shouts at master P. But how like what the rivalry was like a real thing, you.
Speaker 4: Know, let me be truthful about everything.
Speaker 2: Before I got with Cash Money, right, I was a master P fan. I used to listen to master P a lot him, though not not the whole No Limit. You didn't have all those groups yet. It was just him when he was out there and Richmond doing his thing. I actually like that that, you know. I actually listened a little bit before that too, Like before that, like nine and nine Ways to Die and all that stuff, like, you know, I was on him then. So when he when he came out and started doing this thing and no, lemme, I kind of like, you know me, I thought he wasn't. I didn't know he was from New Orleans or not. So it was a confusion with me and them. And then my pops, my pop's knew him though. My pops like, nah he went to Booker t I know him, like I know his people and everything, like oh damn. So you know, then come to find out I know all these people poking and everybody, and so that changed everything for me. When I got the cash, money and stuff. When people was trying to make the friction, it was like, nah, they got on and we got on. They we they had the opportunity to do their thing and we do. We're doing our things. But there's no hatred between us. The fans is creating that.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, can you imagine if you guys if this was happening.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, right, and with the Internet, it would.
Speaker 3: Be fans would have created this crazy The.
Speaker 4: Fans was doing it.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: The fans was like trying to pit us against each other. I'm like, man, I just went to the club with mystical, like y'all tripping because.
Speaker 3: There was like the five or four Boys and then the Hot Boys.
Speaker 2: Me and Mysical was in three nine Posita together back in the day, so he been my party. So when he went to No Limit and stuff, I was like, congratulations, didn't no Limit?
Speaker 4: Then? Uh, Magnoya Slim.
Speaker 2: You know. I kind of like brought him to the whole rap world because he said he wanted the rap. Was like, nah, be serious and start writing, and you know, I kind of like paid for his first demo. So when he went to Know Limit, I was like, all right, my brother over there now, So how hate? It's gonna be hate.
Speaker 1: A lot of people don't know the stories DJ do in the same.
Speaker 4: Came Kel was three nine positive, right, So that was my fam.
Speaker 2: That was the first person to make a beat for me. Besides Harvey R. Was the first one to make one for me for Talent Show. But then cal was the first one to make me something and put it on the track and record for it.
Speaker 4: So it's like that.
Speaker 3: So it was like an overstated rivalry. It was weird, fan created weird.
Speaker 1: It was weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now that's ours. Was like, damn if the five or Four Boys and the How Boys did a record together.
Speaker 1: But you got to think about it. It worked.
Speaker 5: So that's why it was like, you know what, if that's the way it is, that's the way.
Speaker 2: For sure, because because we sold a lot of records at the same time, so sure, I got to give him credit for that date. We didn't stop. They sales and they damn sure weren't gonna stop. Hours we was at it, we felt like the world was ours.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Uh, Juvie, how often you go back? Obviously you have to perform four hundred degrees at this point, but prior to this anniversary run, how often would you go back and like listen to that album and just like just from just reminisce or just revisit it.
Speaker 2: When I listened to the songs that I don't perform right when I listen to those, you know, and I'd be like, damn, man, listen to this one, you know, like like uh me and Wayne me and Wayne on uh when when uh.
Speaker 4: The run for It.
Speaker 2: I think that was one of the songs that we could have shot a video.
Speaker 1: To, you know.
Speaker 2: I just I have one of the songs I'm like, man, I wish we me and my little bro could have shot a video to that song because people was really trying to do the dance and stuff.
Speaker 4: I think could have been a big situation.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's too late because you just dropped the video like twenty five.
Speaker 4: Yes later, Wayne, and I gotta get Wayne.
Speaker 3: I mean, you got Louisiana coming.
Speaker 2: He's a busy man. He's a busy man. He's you know, it's hard to be the great rapper on the world, you know, in the world, and uh and find time for your big bro.
Speaker 3: Are you guys excited? I hope you sees this? Yehoot a video?
Speaker 1: Why not?
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, uh, I know, I know you guys were trying to pull off the reunion ad. I think it was Essence Fest. Yeah, but it looks like it's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean that's another thing the internet turned into. There was never the Hot Boys for Essence Fest. The internet made it that it was baby in French.
Speaker 1: It was very man.
Speaker 5: It was here start titling it the Hot Boys reunion, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: It was like it was never a Hot Boys reunion.
Speaker 2: When we when we was doing Essence Festival, I was already booked for Louisiana Fest before they even booked me for the Essence. Yeah, so I was already on it, but I didn't know it was going to be all of us. But that was the plan, you know, that was the plan. That's what they told me. Like, man, the plan is that we got you, We're gonna get everybody else, Like, oh cool, everybody everybody, Like.
Speaker 3: That's gotta be exciting. How many have you guys figured how many songs you guys are doing?
Speaker 2: I don't think we're gonna figure that out.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's gonna be a lot of minds in the room.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's dope, man, Julie, I always wondered because you were the guy who broke this whole ship down, and and you were kind of like the big homie for everybody else in the crew, Like how much of like what were you like did you feel like for him?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: No, I mean I mean for everybody in the Hotboys, right, Yeah? But like, did you ever feel like a babysitter ever? Low key being around like Wayne and turking those guys when they were like younger.
Speaker 2: No, not really, man, I'm talking about Well he was listen.
Speaker 3: Because you were like you were the get around on the artists.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna tell you, they picked it like they are. They're Wayne Wayne waa. Wayne was slick boy. Wayne had to watch Wayne because Wayne and Wayne in trouble. Wayne to say something, Wayne have a whole situation. Wane was way beyond and way smarter than any kid his age, right, way smart. I always try to tell people Wayne went to one of the best schools in New Orleans. He's real, real BookSmart. Wayne knew some things that you wouldn't expect a kid to know. You know, in the scenes, I did, but not when it came to the studio. That's the thing, Like, nah, my little bros. It was body in the studio, but anything else.
Speaker 3: Once you got on the road, you're like what you oh yeah, oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we gotta watch him a little yeah yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 1: They got in trouble a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Imagine, like I just think back to like imagine like being like their age and then going on the Cash Money Rough Riders tour.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh man.
Speaker 4: We used to have so much fun though, man.
Speaker 3: Like how crazy was that tour? Like you guys in DMX on the road at the same time as Oh yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean we were just talking about this earlier, and I let him say his part, But we was talking about this earlier.
Speaker 1: How DMX fired us.
Speaker 5: You know, just on the way he performed, you know what I'm saying, our first two times performed. It kind of changed the whole outlook on how we was going at it, you know, how our approach towards performing. Yeah, because he was just so emotional the way he put then, you know, and Julee said jokingly, you know what I'm saying, but it was the real He was like, man, do you Mexican climb on a speaker? He gonna cry, he gonna do all of that, and you don't have a chance.
Speaker 4: You don't have a chance. They talking about man juve.
Speaker 2: You gotta go on after what I'm not going on after I'm going after anybody except Team makes B.
Speaker 4: I'm like, and I'm known to be.
Speaker 2: A close I'm known to be one of them artists that you know what I'm saying, I'm a performer, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: And that dude he scared me.
Speaker 2: I just thought day I think he was the greatest rap performer out there, hands down.
Speaker 3: I was just with John Minnelli, who was Jay Z's old manager, and we're talking about the Hard Knock Life tour and he was like, yeah, the first date when better? Well because because DMX went on before jay Z on the Hard Knocked Life. Yes, He's like, we knew we were in trouble because all this dude, all the lights were out and he growled on the mic and the whole fucking place just lost their fucking out. Man, how are we supposed top that?
Speaker 1: Great?
Speaker 3: And made the whole crowd cry.
Speaker 5: It's like it's like saying he'll bring you through so many emotions.
Speaker 4: It's like Dowie Cocks.
Speaker 2: Man. My office went up there, like, how supposed to top that?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: I'm m king, I'm great, I'm king Like hell no, man, I'm sitting back there, nervous as hell. They telling us because we're in the South man, we're gonna go on last after Rough Riders.
Speaker 4: I'm like, yeah, so.
Speaker 2: Damn X made the show. I'm asking, Yeah, he going on? I said, so who going on stage first? Like I don't want to be the first.
Speaker 3: Like sending kids up there.
Speaker 4: No, they go out there and baby Bird go out first.
Speaker 5: But see what what what a lot of us, well me and him had already been doing shows, you know, even even younger than me. You know, I had records out and he had some stuff, so he had stage presence. So what we was kind of messing up on Wayne Turk and Beg would just go out there and yell. They would be excited, like, you know, just hit the stage and just talk over everything. Jewelry was like, listen, bro, that's gotta be some kind of way that you know, like when you're saying your thing, I'm gonna shut up. Everybody shut up. And He's like when I'm saying me, just shut up. I know my parts, I know all of them. I don't really need you to help me because y'all yelling at all my parts y'all just random word screen, you know what I'm saying. So there was a lot of stuff we learned on the on the you know, the Rough Riders tour, like one of them was from DMX.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It was always man with him, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: It would be like a meeting when he wasn't in there, man, motherfucker telling me what the dude man.
Speaker 1: He think he running the group.
Speaker 3: That's funny, yo, speaking a lot of stuff man. How cool was it because I think you kind of reminded a lot of people all the hits you got, you know with the tiny dest performance.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, man, we loaded man, y'all trust me, we didn't even we didn't even.
Speaker 4: We didn't even do them all. Man, that's the other part.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, how cool was that to because obviously like the tidy dest thing is like it either like will show everybody out dope you are, could expose you for you know.
Speaker 2: Yes, it could make you, will break you, and you know what it ain't mean for everybody, and not trying to be critical. I watched other artists went on, and I watched artists before me, and I kind of like studied the artist before me once I once I knew I was about to be on there, I like, I gotta go start watching people, you know what I'm saying. I watched Usher, and I'm like, damn us should have said raised the damn bar. I gotta I gotta get USh. I gotta I gotta at least come somewhere near where Usher at. So you know, I gotta get the big homie. As you know this, this man gonna cut up you know what I'm saying, He's gonna clown, so.
Speaker 4: I gotta get him.
Speaker 2: I gotta get him first, and let me see if I can put you know, a few a couple more cats from you all is on and just so happened. John Baptiste was down for it and Trombone Shardy was down for it.
Speaker 4: So it came out.
Speaker 2: It was It was one of those things when New Orleans stood up together and man, it was a great thing, especially when he did the encore was the part.
Speaker 4: Because we was already over time.
Speaker 2: We went way over time and we did a hardcore and then people was like.
Speaker 4: Keep it going.
Speaker 2: He was like, keep going, keep going.
Speaker 1: So yo.
Speaker 3: I always wondered this because you guys have some of the most just random outlandish album covers covers of all time, Like how you love that and like you know, Chopper City and the like.
Speaker 4: That's what I have nothing to do with that.
Speaker 3: I just wondered, like when you guys put these album covers together and there were it was just like the craziest like Microsoft, like you was.
Speaker 5: This company Penn and Pixel Pixel that's what did Penn and Pixel did it and and those album covers actually made Penn and Pixel you know, the company because people was looking forward to It was wow.
Speaker 1: Crazy. It was like, what's going to be the next album cover?
Speaker 3: Like there's fucking helicopters and around animals.
Speaker 4: There was like no limit cash money.
Speaker 2: And swave House like you just had to crew wash the album covers up the I forget.
Speaker 3: I don't know whose artist it was, but I remember Pinning Pixel did one with like a big old grizzly bear on the cover. I think it was a swave House artist. But it was just like but just that whole era of art.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: It also is like you know, it's like a like you see it now on T shirts and ship people are redoing that for like they really do.
Speaker 4: They really do redo it.
Speaker 2: And the crazy part about it, they just say what you want on your album cover. And the first thing I said was, man, I just want something big, Like.
Speaker 4: I said, I want something. I wanted like one of them swave House covers.
Speaker 2: So I'm like, we know the He said, oh yeah, we already going to Penny Pics. We already got something in places. I was like, all right, hook it up because I ain't no, I wasn't good with that type of stuff. They always what you input is, but look the name of the album. I used to always tell you they look the name of the album and how the pictures going looking on it to leave me out that part, Just leave me out that part. Everything ain't shot the message. Well that's it right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Chris Rock got a yeah, bigger and black.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, and he was like, who is the company that did cash money? You know, and there's no limits stuff, you know. Yeah, it looks it's a pending pixel covered because it's big.
Speaker 3: It's big like the iced out.
Speaker 2: Oh you know what I did see that. I did see that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, that was yeah, you guys, I mean very influential with that too. Uh. There's obviously a lot of talk about the Super Bowl being in New Orleans and the halftime show. What were your guys' thoughts about you know, a lot of people think Wayne should have had it.
Speaker 2: My quarrel, I had one thing. Now, I feel like Wayne should have had it a lot of people do, because he was out there actually campaigning to have the spot. You know, it ain't too many artists of his statute that's out there asking to do the halftime, So I don't that's the first time I ever see that, seeing that, and it's you know, we so culture driven. I thought it was a good look also for you know, for the city. But my real quarrel was now with jay Z, not with the Kendrick Lamar because Kendrick Lamar is a great artist, and I'm pretty sure you're gonna do a great job and time show. And I'm not even counting out the fact that he probably would have put somebody from New Orleans on and it still might do well. I'm not overlooking that. But at the same time, the NFL and did like ten So this is like the eleven super Bowl in New Orleans and they keep on.
Speaker 4: Excluding anything new. Yeah, that's my point.
Speaker 2: So I'm like, you know, you know, a lot of I feel like a lot of people are mad for the wrong, you know, mad at the wrong people like, don't get mad at jay Z. Don't get mad at it's the people that's hiding the hand that's behind all of this that I feel like should be stepping up and being responsible and saying because this is the first time, and do business with the local businesses. I don't care what city you bring the Super Bowl to, you should be doing business with the local businesses and not bringing these big corporations in and just just counting us out because it ain't just about the artist being in the super Bowl. It's about all other things that's going on around the Super Bowl, the money that's being made in my city. Don't see none of being a city of privaty, stricten city that went through something like a training that's been through COVID like everywhere else. I feel like we're being overlooked again with another major, another major sports corporation, just like the n C Double A with the with the Final Fours, they do the same thing. So it's a lot of it's a lot of things going on on there that we don't like that we're trying to fix because laws will be in place so very soon. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now I think I think like at the end of the day, like with the Super Bowl thing, it's like, man like, at least there's a rapper, you know what I mean, because I feel like for so many years it was like we get like Maroon five or yeah, you know what I'm saying, Like, you.
Speaker 2: Know, it'll be cool with that. They got somebody from the Maroon five from New Walkans anyway, Yeah we'll yeah, so we'll be cool with that.
Speaker 3: How do you feel about your Saints? Man, I've lost a lot of money, Spencer Ler.
Speaker 1: Last night, everybody our team, right, everybody is out.
Speaker 2: Everybody heard Nicky Loomis or he don't play on the team. That's yeah, he heard too.
Speaker 1: He's our own of Gail Benson. Everybody pockets hurt.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, is it is it a Saints town? Or has the Pelicans ever even gotten close to Yeah?
Speaker 5: They messed with the Peals. But believe it or not, we love our teams.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we win, lose, we do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we win unlose. You know what I'm saying. We could have a loser season and we just got to.
Speaker 2: So I think I think we got our Pelicans. We've made some good moves and off season. I think the Pelicans gonna have a great season and came back.
Speaker 3: Body right, he's he's he's gonna clown.
Speaker 2: Manna, We're gonna clown man because I don't I don't see nothing happening with my Saints right now. So I gotta turn my head a little bit and see.
Speaker 4: You know, basketball season is getting ready to start.
Speaker 3: So I want to ask you guys a question. I want to let's start it let's say let's start in two thousand and one and back or you know what, let's you like from the Carter one backwards. Let's rank the best cash money albums of all time. Damn, give me the top four, because I think four under Degrees is under number one.
Speaker 5: I would say the Carter one, the Carter one definitely is. You know, it's a great album from like, you know.
Speaker 3: I Missed My Dogs was so special when you heard that for the first time over here like thoughts on hearing.
Speaker 2: Oh, I was touched. I was touched, you know, I was touched. I reached out to.
Speaker 3: Him because I feel like all the fans are like, damn, yeah, you hear I missed my dog.
Speaker 4: I felt bad.
Speaker 2: I'm like, damn yeah, Well, maybe I shouldn't want my money.
Speaker 5: Cleaned it up real good boy, clean up good.
Speaker 3: Maybe I should Maybe I should let that go.
Speaker 2: It was the time of this song, like I loved the song, but it was like, man, you know, we was in court battles and stuff at the time, so it was like it was hard for me to feel a certain way.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It was like it was it was I had mixed for sure.
Speaker 3: So Carter would be number two, I I gotta put Uh. I don't know, man, I.
Speaker 5: Would even say the first volume of I Got That work, Like you know, it was so different from anything that anybody done, Like you know what I'm saying, because what we was laying down, you know, like everybody was like, man, this dude just said he got a space shuttle.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, Like, yeah, how you love that? Well? How you love that Volume one? Volume one?
Speaker 3: How I Got That works?
Speaker 2: My ship me the first hot boys out and get how You Live?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, the first hot boy man of commercials.
Speaker 4: Listen to the commercials? Man clown?
Speaker 3: What what for you?
Speaker 1: Juvi and Manny?
Speaker 3: You guys like, uh, you know we've all seen, like you said, like the court battles and all this, but to be in a place of of of harmony with everybody where you guys, you know, you guys obviously pulled up to the event at the BT Awards earlier this year, uh doing the reunion ship being able to grace the stage with everybody at the same time, Like, uh, is it nice to be in that space?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean what we figured out between us, like the way we work it is Juvie will put.
Speaker 1: The fans and make the fans say it.
Speaker 5: So so we when when it was a space where it's like, Okay, y'all, we're not getting the loan, the fans gonna tell y'all, you know what I'm saying, Like I'm gonna put it on the fans, and then the fans start reaching out to people like what the fans was telling BG knock it off. Where the fans was telling Turk you need to chill out, bro, Like you know what I'm saying, y'all, y'all homies is out there getting it and they're telling y'all, come on, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So that was the cool.
Speaker 5: Thing about the Internet right now, like the Internet actually actually won that battle for us because we was like, bro, while y'all.
Speaker 1: Arguing, were getting this, but we're getting this bad.
Speaker 3: You guys are running the country. Yeah. Yeah, I feel like I feel like there's like the flowers are being given right now at a high level to you, Juvie and Manny. I think it's dope to see this.
Speaker 2: It's all love is whet my brothers together. I don't I don't want to see that, you know, I don't. I don't want to see that get it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like like you say, uh, it's like when a parent take their kid out to something a sports event, and it's just certain things you just don't feel you don't want to see you if you feel like that's how I feel about that, Like I don't, I don't, I don't want to see I don't think that's good for TV, good for nothing.
Speaker 4: So you know what I mean. And that's why I won't never have nothing negative to say.
Speaker 2: You know. It's kind of like when my mama, how my mama raised me. You know, we got these great platforms and these big platforms, and everybody got their eyes on you. You know, if you don't have nothing good to see about somebody, just shut up. For sure.
Speaker 4: Shut up.
Speaker 2: Keep your opinions to yourself, especially something that you know affect the next person.
Speaker 1: Fresh.
Speaker 3: I feel like one of the more slept on projects in the cash Many catalog was the mind of Manny Fresh.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I feel like it kind of gave you like an opportunity to kind of like spaz out a little on the profection side. It was like your only time like were you really you probably didn't have to bounce anything creatively off anybody. You're like, I'm gonna just do me. You feel like that album is a little slept on.
Speaker 5: Yeah, But I also think it's kind of, like in a crazy way as a cult classic because it's a lot of people who like, dude, you are the craziest person on the planet. And I'm like, well, that's what happened when you know, when I'm like, I'm not making this for nobody else. I was making this for me, you know what I'm saying. And believe me, when I was doing it, a lot of it was interfered sometimes where they was like, dude, you shouldn't do that. You shouldn't do dah da da dad, And I'm like, bro, this is the only way I know how to do this. Y'all told me to do it, you know what I'm saying. Y'all gave me the green light. Let me do it, you know. And of course everybody wants something to be a top seller or whatever. But I had this thought of like, this one is going to take a while, and it is that now. It became that where people were like, dude, I love this album, you know what I'm saying. And some of the cool things is like even Real Big, Real Big was made a hit off of a video game.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: That was on a video game, and that's how a lot of people was introduced to and from starting to buy that, they went and got the album, you know what I'm saying. So a lot of stuff can happen, like in a funny way, Like you know what I'm saying. That was on Midnight Club and everybody's like, oh my god, I remember us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was the ship that had the Christ of three hundred on the top.
Speaker 4: Know what the hell y'all talking about?
Speaker 2: Looking like what?
Speaker 3: Maybe want to get a Chrysler? Yeah, shout to the Christ of three hundred. Quite possibly the greatest lower level WE dealer car of all time.
Speaker 2: Hurricane Katrina took my fixed up through my damn Chris.
Speaker 3: I went through all levels of like low tier WE dealer cars. I had a Dodge Magnum, Yeah, the three hundred, you know them cars that you felt like, yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: That's the hood cars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but hey not, but that was the car.
Speaker 5: I think like even us doing that early on, we want a whole lot of fans because it was something that you can afford. You know what I'm saying, and we would do those in videos like you know about the dozens and you knowing somebody like oh, I could go out and buy one of them. You know what I'm saying. And now rappers, you know your favorite rapper like yours.
Speaker 1: I can't, Yeah I can't, but got it that you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: It's like almost like the Tesla cyber truck has been the most affordable wrapper wrapper car in years.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's still.
Speaker 3: Underd Yeah, exactly, Dude, At Julie, I always wondered you obviously had a dope run with u TP. I actually went to uh your area. I was driving from Phoenix to Tampa and I stopped off and I ate at the hot wing spot Skip Spot. Yeah they had yes, chicken and watermelon. Yeah, they had Obama punch Oprah punch.
Speaker 2: Right, and the.
Speaker 3: Wings were smacking. But I always wondered, like I never heard I'm sure you've told the story, but like you know, young young Buck was with you, right and then ended up going with fifty and gun. Yeah, what what ended up?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: What was kind of the backstory what.
Speaker 2: Happened with b It was some old backdoor stuff, man, he did, but I don't like to talk of you know, negative.
Speaker 4: That's why I really speak. Upon't speak on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you were because ut he was doing ship with g and it on the mixtape circuit.
Speaker 4: I was, and I was, Uh.
Speaker 2: I was kind of like giving him somewhere the record to it because, uh, you know, at the time fifty was it was hard for him to record anywhere in New York. It kind of like he was to be number one, kind of like, man, nobody didn't like fifty. But I was in New York and I had the studio bus, so I let him music. I let him record on that. He was coming every other every other day, him and lrd Banks and YAlO Yeah, Yaloe every other day in ever record. Man, it was all of that's interesting. We recall it recorded a couple of mixtapes on a few songs.
Speaker 3: What happened to Whacko and Skip with those guys?
Speaker 2: I mean they still doing anything, man, You know Skip a business man now with the with the restaurants. I haven't seen Whacko lately, so I don't really know what he's into, but he's still he's still moving around there.
Speaker 3: Can you speak to the like importance and like kind of I feel like Soldier Slim is one of those guys that if you're not from your area, you don't really understand, like kind of what he meant to this scene.
Speaker 2: He was what Tupac is to to to Oakland and California, right. He was our I asked to always tell him this, like, Bro, you you got a whole lot of talent, Bro, and you gotta take time out and just stopping them and let everybody else enjoy the talent that you got. You know what I mean, because ain't nobody out there like You're just that different. Dude just breed hits. Yeah, he come up with the slow motion song. It was meant for me to just be featured on his song. That song was meant for his album, Yeah, and he was. He would grabbed my brother and told my brother like, look, you need to talk to Jude Bro, tell him he in the system. He was universal, I'm not I'm over here with Cosh. Not no disrespect to Cash, but he didn't look at it. He looked at it like with me, it was gonna be could put him where he needed to be, And he was right about that. So I listened. I heard him out in I put that I put this song on my album.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: The bad part about it was he wasn't He didn't live to see the success of the song. But he saw the beginning, but he didn't he didn't see the end this whole smash it was. Yeah, it's It's one of these situations every time I think of my dude, man, you know, yea sure she was here to be able to you know, enjoy it. I'm pretty sure that was just the beginning of his hit run because dude just me a lot of songs, bro.
Speaker 3: For sure, a lot of songs manny how because you know, I think what was dope about the pandemic is we had all these verses and you were one of the earlier verses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we got to.
Speaker 3: Kind of I feel like, I feel like a lot of people like we had to like kind of be like, oh ship, like I forgot you know what I mean? Like yeah, yeah him, yeah, you in storage, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 2: Thinking about the concerts.
Speaker 3: You and KM, but like how cool was that like and for you, like, like I wonder like because because there was like a versus stimulus package, it felt like I was chiming in. Everybody was in the comments. I'm like, man, kill him, kill him.
Speaker 1: They like people were choosing up in the cot playing the song.
Speaker 5: Dude, you know what I'm saying. That's what a lot of people don't know. You know what I'm saying. And it was scripted, you know what I'm saying. And the thing was, they couldn't get nobody to go against me, Like they asked t Paine. He was like, nah, man, he got too many songs, you know what I'm saying. They asked Lil John. John was like, nah, man, he got too many songs. Blah blah blah. And so Scott was like, yeah, I'll do it, you know, and we're good. But they was just like, bro, you can't come out like swinging, you know what I'm saying. And Scott went a little bit off, you know, he went, I'm like, bro, you know, and I'm texting why this is going on?
Speaker 1: And I'm like, bro, you're not sticking to what was supposed to happen, Like you know what what I'm saying? What what? What?
Speaker 3: What were there?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: What songs didn't you play? You wish you would have got off? Was there anything that was.
Speaker 5: That was a lot of songs. There was a whole lot of songs I didn't play. But but the thing was, you know, it's like saying something that you know and I'm thinking somebody gonna change it, you know, cause I'm like, Bro, you didn't do that song. That's not that's not a song that you did. You played on that song. You know what I'm saying, which is different? That's different. Yeah, Like you know what I'm saying. And I'm like, you play like four songs that wasn't your songs. So you know, I'm going, Okay, so what do we do here?
Speaker 3: Because when you do a beat, you're doing the whole Yeah. Yeah, story jobs. He's played keys on a lot of big records.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Doctor Dre like that exactly right, you know what I'm saying. And I'm just like, you know, like I'm like this, this is not going like what y'all said, you know. And the one thing I'm gonna tell you what I learned right in that that we are different now because this was the beginning of a whole different way how people operate. I'm very competitive. I'm very competitive. I'm like we good, Scott, I'm like you are You're my dude, but when we're doing this, I don't mess with you until this over, you know what I'm saying. And there was a lot of people who was like, bro, you're going too hard. You're doing da da da da and the skits and all of that, like bro, you know wherever I'm from, And I'm like, I am not the new guy.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. I'm not the new guy, you know.
Speaker 5: And and what a lot of people don't know, this idea was tooken from me.
Speaker 1: I was doing this before they.
Speaker 5: Was doing me kl on just blaze, you know, so you know, tim them just took the idea and turned it into something, you know, into anything.
Speaker 1: But we was doing this already.
Speaker 5: We was doing the producer battles, you know what I'm saying, and all of that went in it, all of whatever.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: If you came out, you know what I'm saying, and you did whatever you wanted to do.
Speaker 1: I remember, like even.
Speaker 2: I wasn't playing certain so I remember that there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: So I was just like, okay if this because this was they was like, bro, we gotta have this one schedule it's got to happen because blah blah blah. So we kind of just gonna you know, we're gonna script it is gonna be cool. And I'm like, okay, cool, but you know, shout out to Swiss for trying to make it right because after that, he was like, bro, I understand all of your you know, dah da da da, but I could tell you this was the great thing about it is I felt like I lost something and it made me dangerous, you know what I'm saying. I was like, Okay, if y'all took that from me, now, everybody gotta pay for it. You know what I'm saying. Everybody gotta pay for it, you know what I'm saying. And it turned me into super DJ, super beats everything, and I'm like, I'm going to rule the Internet until this pandemic is over with.
Speaker 1: Yo.
Speaker 3: There's a specific record I wanted to can you walk me through? Because you're a DJ for people who are ignorant at that, but you're a DJ, right yeah? And I feel like kind of one of those like new cash money records past kind of like what we consider the Golden Age was like go DJ, which was very much like I felt like your brainchild, like, can you walk me through like how go DJ was was made?
Speaker 5: So we were having a meeting because that's Carter Won, right, and I'm telling Wayne, you know, I'm like, bro, at this point, cash money is on your back.
Speaker 3: Because look five Degrees came out and kind of came and went yeah.
Speaker 5: So I was like, cash money is on your back, bro, like you know what I'm saying. And I'm just like, so this one gotta be like it's gotta be the one.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: I'm like, you could stop with the sound effects and all of that, you know, like you're not you know, young Wayne no more. You got to step up your game. And you know, he was just like, Bro, I'm I'm ready. I'm ready. But he asked because go DJ was actually a song from this group you in LV, just the.
Speaker 3: Part which is the Bounce group whole ship.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So he was like, man, is it any way I could do go dj?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 5: So I'm like yeah, and I'm like I actually got a visual for it. I'm like, this is what we're gonna do. I'm like, we can send all the radio DJ like cam carters and let them film them, you know, doing their whatever they're doing on air and then send it back to us and we're gonna and we're gonna edit all of that into into the music video. Right, So we hadn't recorded the song yet, we talking about it, so all right. So I get the beat done and he come in there. He do the hook first, so I in my mind, I know this song is about to be about DJ's right, and he do the first verse and it ain't got ship to do with DJs, and I'm just like, but fuck, I'm like, it's so fucking hard.
Speaker 1: I'm like, it's so hard. Bro. I'm like, you know what.
Speaker 5: I'm just like, bro, what the fuck? Like, you know what I'm saying? And he was like, yeah, I know, bro, but this is what I was feeling. And I'm like, so I'm like, okay, the second verse gotta have a reference to a DJ.
Speaker 1: And he do the second I'm like, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: But by the time he finished the song, the vibe was so like in there in the studio it was motherfucker's going. Bro, you heard what he said, you just here with the fun And I was like, bro, we just got to leave it alone. I'm like, this one's gonna be something that the world ain't gonna understand unless we explain, and nobody said nothing like you know what I'm saying, Well this she ain't got no references to, no DJs.
Speaker 3: Like it was just a hit. Yeah, No, it's crazy because it felt like that was kind of like his I think about like the first song on the Carter was well, like like Birdman Junior was so hard, like it felt like he was just on a mission from the writ to kind of change whatever narrative people had.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean he stepped into his lyrical shoes on, you know.
Speaker 2: On the first call, like you know, and look, he been like that long before that. We had like a little breaks on him in the beginning, like everybody.
Speaker 3: Yo, I remember that, Remember that album the Tunnel. You guys had that record on the Tunnel, the Flex, big cap Wayne fucking He.
Speaker 2: Had a situation when he was younger with you know, with with with a gun and stuff like that. So you know, his moms ain't really want him, ain't want him saying no cursion, she ain't want him around, none of that type of stuff. So you know, we were told were giving straight directions, ain't gonna be rapping cursing, doing them gangs and stuff, none of that. So we had to figure out how to do stuff with him. And every time he rapped, he can curse. Wow, So we was toning him down on a lot. I always tell people that I'm like, I remember back in the day, we was going through interviews and I'm telling people.
Speaker 4: Way in the future. We used to always say that in the future.
Speaker 2: They're looking at us like for real, Like I'm like, listen, bro, y'all don't trust me. If y'all hear, we hear the stuff that he ain't even allowed to say. He had all kind of versions that we couldn't put out. They're like, man, you can't say that. He can't say that.
Speaker 1: Bro, you listen.
Speaker 5: And a lot of people never even really paid attention to it. But on none of them songs he cursed.
Speaker 2: He's not cursing.
Speaker 1: He never cursed on none of.
Speaker 3: Those wow, because I never even noticed that as much as I and all that stuff that's crazy.
Speaker 4: Or the moment he could curse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was outside like he broke the chain who with the cutting up.
Speaker 3: You had such great chemistry with other artists outside of the cash money world, like t I or GZ like, who's your favorite artist that you've worked with outside of the Cash Money roster over the years.
Speaker 5: Oh shit, it's not even a rapper, would be Tina Marie. You know what I'm saying. Oh, I got a chance to do Tina Marie. And you know, that's one when your parents called. My dad called me and it was like, you're fucking doing the song with Tina Marie. Yeah, you know, because that was big to New Orleans. Tina Marie was so big, huge, huge to us in New Orleans, Like you know what I'm saying, Like an icon, Frankie Beverley, Tina Marie.
Speaker 3: That's how your parents could be like yeah, shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: And to know that that was a gold record for her, you know what I'm saying. And because when I did the song, she was just like, well I just want something like she was like, you know, like that song still fly that you gotta you know or something, And I was like, no, miss miss Tina Marie, we not doing that.
Speaker 1: I'm like, we're gonna.
Speaker 5: Get a real bass player and we're gonna do something real simple and we you know, and and I'm glad she she accepted you know because it's Tina Marie for sure, you know what I'm saying, And I'm geeked out, Like every time I'm doing it, I'm stopping and I'm like, I can't believe this team.
Speaker 4: Yo.
Speaker 3: So a new Snoop and Dre album has been announced? Can we get a new Juvian Manny Fresh?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I feel like I feel like, man, all the artists I grew up listen to for whatever reason, they end up just stop making music together, but they'll still do shows.
Speaker 5: Like we need a new album. Were working on it, bro. You know what's the hardest thing. You know, we were just talking about this. You you want to evolve. You want to you know you you want to turn into something that you know, like, damn, this is my sound, but I hear it so much. I want to do something new, but there is nothing new for us. It's just really staying on your sound, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, it's hard because you guys have evolved this, yes, yeah.
Speaker 1: And that's a hard thing to do.
Speaker 5: So it's one of them things that we learning how to do, to step back to say like, you know what, we don't really have to sound like what this what what what you know what hip hop is and and and that's that's it's nothing disrespectful to the new generation. But we're not the new generation. We are who we are. But because we are older, you know what I'm saying, And it's like going like, man, do I want to do that again?
Speaker 1: Or do I want to leave that?
Speaker 2: Please?
Speaker 1: Do see what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: So, so that's the it was researching, and I think being the DJ has showed me that, like to say, like, hey, bro, you ain't got to go find no new sun.
Speaker 3: Back that e still going up in the club right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, It's it's interesting because it's like you'll see artists that you you know, love growing up and then they'll try to chase whatever the young kids are exactly and you'd be like.
Speaker 1: Man, if you just if you would have just stayed in your lane, did it?
Speaker 5: Like you know what I'm saying, how you you know, plug up that old drum machine? Yeah, you know what I'm saying. You ain't got to do it on able to you know how I know how to write.
Speaker 2: You can be real innovative without without out doing what everybody else doing.
Speaker 3: You don't have to be the fun because you guys got your fans, and you guys, do your fans want to hear them?
Speaker 5: We got a lot of songs that was just eight sounds, you know, a lot of them was done just on the SP twelve.
Speaker 2: I personally like songs that don't have a lot of extra shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was done on it.
Speaker 2: It gives me to talk my talk.
Speaker 1: I was done on the Wow the whole song, Yo, what where'd you get the so? What was? What was bling bling made on same thing? SB twelve hundred.
Speaker 3: What's that like? That sound and bling bling? That real distinct? It almost it sounds it almost sounds like you know the sound I'm talking about that's throughout the whole beat?
Speaker 1: Oh, the little the Planet rockall thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was just like a like the little clip, the little clip sound like that was from Planet Rock, Like you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: And I just kind of pitched it down.
Speaker 3: You know, did you guys have any idea Bling Bling obviously is one of the most important songs to your to your guys story.
Speaker 2: It is because it winded up being a word, right, you know how her song you could hear something and you know something special about that word.
Speaker 5: You know, we had a song and Wayne said, tell me what kind of nigga got damage that of bling blind? Yeah, And I was like it was something about that right there. So I remember, like I was, I wrote the hook in my head, so you know how you gotta hurry up and get get to the studio.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: I'm like, I gotta hurry up and record this before I forget it, you know what I'm saying. And I had done the dummy before they got there. I just done the dummy like bling bling every time I come around the city.
Speaker 1: And Wayne went right behind me and was like, nah, I got it. Let me do the hook.
Speaker 5: So it was a lot of shit that Wayne you down first, Yeah, yeah, because because I mean I always, yeah, I would put the hook down with because I knew what to beat how I wanted to beat the sound with the hook, Like you know what I'm saying. I'm like, listen, I want to you know. I'm like, I'm a lady hooking and whoever do it? You know what I'm saying. And the crazy thing was, originally it was a big time or song. It was a big time song. It was a big time and what happened was because we had so many songs. We was we was next all like next up was BG.
Speaker 2: And he said BG album needed was like I'm listening to the album he needed a.
Speaker 5: Song like that, Like I'm like, it needs this because his album was you know he the hood Dude out the Crew.
Speaker 3: I mean there's two. I mean, I think when I think of that album, I think of that and I think cash Money is an army.
Speaker 2: Cash Money's arm is a gangster the song, right, like, that's who That's who he is. He he always had been the gang style to click right, that's that's his personality, right. So you know that's what I liked about Manny Man. He always created a different sound for each one of us. And you listen to our albums, you would see the difference. You're like, damn, you know what. It's four different artists, but the music ain't the same. Because he had a thing with Bjna have this sound. You were gonna have this sound, Wayne, soone's got to be like it worked.
Speaker 3: Turns on the architect, Manny Fresh. I also feel I feel like you were one of the first like producers that really coined like talking your ship before the song would start. Oh yeah, I mean yeah, because like after you like Swiss Swiss came along and then like Jazzy Fay. But I feel like you were like like you were gonna get your ship off before.
Speaker 1: The song started. I mean, the intro started becoming a big thing. You know.
Speaker 5: People were like, man, I can't wait just to hear Manny Fresh intro, like you know what I'm saying, to see what the hell he gonna say on there, you know, And it was always something that was kind of seventies musical, like you know what I'm saying and what I had learned like from and I told him this recently. My dad was just like, listen, dude, start putting yourself first on a lot of these songs.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, and you know.
Speaker 5: And I was like, well, well, you know, why would you you know, he was like because he was like, you know the dude who first, Because my dad was the DJ before I was a DJ.
Speaker 4: That's the one.
Speaker 5: He was like, That's the one who they're gonna hear on the song no matter what, no matter what, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So me and him always make sure that you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Voice was first, I told him.
Speaker 4: I told him oh you knew.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: That's so funny, man.
Speaker 4: Like say the best for the last they got even hit the last one?
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, bling Blink's one of the greatest posse records of all time. Yeah, obviously it's now in the dictionary, y'all. Really, I mean, do you guys? I feel like that should have been trademarked.
Speaker 5: I think it is trademarked. I think it is. You know what, But that's one of those things babying slipped.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that wasn't That wasn't a juvie thing right there? Yeah, there it is.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: We'll look you guys. You guys are how many how many dates stuffs on the tour ship?
Speaker 2: We stop on the thirty first of December New Years the last day?
Speaker 3: Wow, so that's a lot more. I just saw you pop out of the Russell's house too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, that's I gotta take my dog back to you got to go to l Russell back.
Speaker 3: It's crazy. I went.
Speaker 2: And it's like the whole experience with his mom too.
Speaker 3: Man's barbecuing.
Speaker 2: He barbecueing it out of space walking in the y'all for the kids. I'm telling you, if you never had an experience like that, they got to check it out, and man, they got that dude with Larrussell.
Speaker 4: He's different.
Speaker 3: Is there any besides Russell? Is there any young artists you guys are just fans of.
Speaker 4: It's a lot of them, you know.
Speaker 2: I like I like uh uh uh, I like Gorilla, I like uh Sexy Red, you know who else? Sauce Walker Crazy, It's a lot of It's a lot of artists. Man, it's a lot of artists out that I like.
Speaker 3: And I have respect for anybody you want to produce for many.
Speaker 1: Anybody, if you if you if you take this serious. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Because sometimes I hear interviews and the most upsetting thing to me is, you know, you got some people who say I don't really do this, this is not what I really do, and I'm just feeling I don't really wrap, you know what I'm saying, And I'm just like, well, give it to somebody who really want to do it. Yeah, you know what I'm saying. And I'm like, you really do rap? You just think it's cool to say that you.
Speaker 3: Don't, Yeah, to say that you're nowana bad?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: And I just won't give me a real artist like you know, with somebody who really takes.
Speaker 2: This, I can't say that. Yeah, I ain't really no rapper.
Speaker 1: That is crazy.
Speaker 3: At your job, how you're painting it exactly.
Speaker 2: Take it to your rapping.
Speaker 1: It's a lucrative business. I really rap, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: And you and you and you. You could out rap both of these guys.
Speaker 2: So look, when the law catch you two three o'clock in the morning, which is you, I ain't really now rapper.
Speaker 3: Seeing the body can put it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what, well, man, that's real trouble.
Speaker 3: Well listen, man, I'm glad to see you guys thriving right now. And uh, I hope we get a new album.
Speaker 1: From from you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, dude, believe it or not. Whenever we do songs, we still competitive, you know what I'm saying. And that's that's what makes it a good song.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: I know I'm not on Julie's level of rapping, but it's still inspired me to be like, man, I gotta have something on this verse that's creative that's gonna make him say, damn, bro, I wasn't expecting you to say that.
Speaker 1: You know what, I'm.
Speaker 2: Saying, right, I could be honest with you right now, I'm in my zone as far as rappers considered, Like you know, like people have don't know what I'm up to want to know. Yeah, I'm in my song right now and it don't happen often for me.
Speaker 3: But you're in your pocket right now. You're inspired.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's a lot of songs you know that like where I'm like, bro, I can't tell you tone it down, but you killed everybody on here, Like you know what I'm saying, Well, I'm like, what you want me to do with this? Like you know what I'm saying, Well, I'm like you so far from what this person is doing on it?
Speaker 1: You know what? It makes the song like damn? You know?
Speaker 5: And I know right now that might go, but that's not the way we was raised. I'm like, nah, I want the song to be super good. I want whoever the other or the other person rapping. I'm like, bro, you gotta up your game. You gotta want to write it over after you heard you what he just did? You like, you know what I'm.
Speaker 3: Saying, how many how many songs you got sitting on right now?
Speaker 2: That you guys got a lot, bro I got a lot of music, man, I recall it. I recall whatever. I really don't like to speak on it.
Speaker 3: And you know what about you guys though, like we got.
Speaker 4: A lot and not just that.
Speaker 2: I just did put some fresh ink too, some paperwork, so be looking looking for it.
Speaker 5: All the albums that we the older albums, like like like the four hundred Degrees when we when we dropped it, we added two songs that we had old.
Speaker 1: So we still got a lot of old songs.
Speaker 5: And every time we dropped one of Julie albums, we're going to give you even some of them that was demos if they'll have songs added to that that that was in our vote. Like you know what I'm saying, where we like you know what, we did this one at the same time we was doing this album. It just didn't make the album. So we we got we got a song at a lot of songs.
Speaker 3: Dude, there it is.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: Well, look, you guys are legends. I appreciate you sitting down with me. I was trying to find I have all my double xls and my damn garage, and I was trying to find my bright my bright orange double XCEL car. Yeah, I couldn't find it to bring it in to get it signed. Next time I see you, I'll try to. It was great, yeah, of course, But listen, man, thank you for pulling up, thank you for having having us. And you guys are on the road throughout the rest of the year. Louisiana. Uh, Festus in November, right.
Speaker 2: Second, Yeah, tomorrow tomorrow night in Atlanaheim. You know, the House of Blues going down. Me and my dog again with the four in the Degrees.
Speaker 1: Band, big thing next next year, we were getting the Europe.
Speaker 4: What you're doing, Yeah, we're doing a euro run.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: That's how you get That's how you get yourself fitting. You got to see it while you're here. We in Europe, right, Julie's definitely it's video now speaking fridge already.
Speaker 3: And there's uh and there's uh, you know, some foreigner degrees uh cannabis out there. And you got rolling papers coming. You've got a lot of stuff happening.
Speaker 2: I got I got the rolling papers, I got the Juvi, I got the fore under degree chips. Me and my son got the hot sauce. We call the hot sauce y'all be looking. Man, y'all gonna see me drop my products, but check out check me out on my platforms at juvet the great on on the ground and follow link you to everything from there.
Speaker 3: Many Fresh appreciate you coming through too, man, Thank you sir, Thank you guys for sucking legends. Ippreciate your time.