Speaker 1: Big things happen when you're pretty, pretty bold, pretty clever, pretty strong. I'm Danielle Robe and each week I chat with a trailblazer who puts a new spin on pretty. We talk passion, purpose, and how good life looks when looks aren't your life. These are their stories, but this space is for you, the dreamers, doers, and beautiful minds. Welcome to Pretty Smart. You've seen her on Good Morning America, ABC News, and even Dancing with the Stars. Ginger z is the first ever female chief meteorologist at a major network. She's also the managing editor of the Climate Unit at ABC News. She's chased her fair share of weather events through the years, hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, and wildfires, but it was weathering, a more personal storm that took her on a journey of self discovery. Ginger wrote openly about her mental health struggles in her first memoir, Natural Disaster, revealing that after getting her dream job at ABC, she checked herself into a mental hospital. But Ginger says Natural Disaster barely scratched the surface. In her follow up memoir, A Little Closer to Home, Ginger is digging even deeper and telling us all about finding the calm after the storm. So Ginger, I read your first book, Natural Disaster. I cover them. I am one, and I wrote you a way too personal email about how much it moved me. You write about your experience at local affiliates in Michigan and Grand Rapids in Maryville, Indiana, and then Chicago for five years. And you've always been so intentional and goal oriented, so much so that you made your passwords on your computers your goals. So at one point it was today's show ten yep, And I'm sort of dying to know what your password is now how I share it with us?
Speaker 2: Well, I can tell you ones that have passed, so I still I have versions and different versions of shows that I've been pitching, so show names or concepts, I'll often put those in there with years or mix them up with dogs names and things. I do a lot of times now when I have found this great kind of fusion of my identity really include a lot more personal goals, you know everything, And it's not just goals, I guess I've even evolved it into intention and so you know how like in yoga, you set an intention for your practice. I started doing yoga so regularly I was like, wait, I need to set an attention for my day. I need to set an intention for my week. And it can sound a little cheesy and kind of like you know binder journal that says things to you, but actually no, and it works a lot like passwords, and so I'd say I do them more as intention.
Speaker 1: Though I love the evolution of that. I recently started doing affirmations and I thought they were cheesy before, but they actually work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, there is something to this and I am so inspired to keep talking about it because again I don't care. And when you said I wrote you a way too personal email, first of all, I don't think there is anything as too personal, especially from somebody who's writing these types of books. So don't worry about that. It is the intention of my book, certainly the second one, to receive more emails like that, because I've seen the circle of mental health life through my first book and what it has meant to so many people and still means. I mean I had one last week that said you saved my life, and it was like, what this is still happening. This is talk about feeling emboldened and confident in going into a book that that has a whole lot more. There is nothing that makes me feel better than rolling the dice because I know it's going to come back in spades with people telling me their stories, so please keep sharing. And it believed me yours was not to take away from it, but a lot of people had that response. So that's the beautiful part.
Speaker 1: That's the mark of a great story. To back up a little bit so we can catch everybody up if they haven't read your first book yet. You became the first female meteorologist of a major network, and as a goal oriented person and someone who had worked so hard, I can only imagine the joy and validation that that gave you. And in the midst of that, you check yourself into a mental health facility almost immediately after getting the job. Can you tell us how you decided to make that bold decision.
Speaker 2: I think the real change came for a decade. I'd been through a really harsh journey in my mental health health, with suicide attempts and some big struggles and big traumas that I was not addressing whatsoever. I didn't realize how much those had to do with where I was, But in that moment, the real reason I went to the hospital. Was because the entire time I was on my roller coaster of a mental health journey, my career had fortuitously kept rising, and I was at this I thought crux point where I thought everything I have worked for working with Diane Sawyer, which was now going to be in my reaches because I got this job, it could come crashing down if I don't finally attend to the thing that I've been ignoring for the last decade. I think I was in one of those dark, dark places. I was in the midst of a really abusive relationship I didn't want to live, except I woke up that one morning thinking I don't want to I don't think I deserve it, but somebody else does. And if I find myself, you know, like Diane Sawyer doesn't want the woman who's getting safe by the cops from an abusive boyfriend in her show, Like that's not Those two things don't go together. And so it was almost like the gravity of my goals and my aspirations coming to fruition rocked me to a point to say, don't screw this up, and it is worth living. Not only worth living, but let's go check this out. And see where it takes us. And so I don't know without the job, if I would have felt good enough. And this speaks a lot to where we still are societally. I had a break. I was done with my job in Chicago. I had a couple of weeks that I was supposed to be moving and I felt freedom to go without repercussion. And that's something that I still don't think that we I think if I went to my boss right now and said, hey, I need to go for a week to go to a mental health in something or rehab, I think they'd be okay with it. Since I've written books and such, but I don't know that societally we're even close to that on a grand scale. And that's what this type of book is meant to do too, is just kind of say we have to get there, have to be able to treat mental health just like we treat drug and alcohol rehabilitation, where not only do we say well, good for them, but we're kind of like, that's kind of sexy, right, Like you're doing it, you're working on yourself. That's what mental health needs to be too there, especially now when so many people have been catapulted into a place they may never have touched before because of this pandemic.
Speaker 1: I think about people who have rose to like more public personas and then years later come out write a book about something that's meaningful to them. You get this big job that you've worked for your whole life, you check yourself into a facility, and then you write a book about it, almost immediately and tell the whole world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was definitely a choice where I thought maybe I did this too early, and it was, you know, right before it went to print. I was like, maybe maybe I should have given it a beat, because I don't know if I'm ready. And I asked my husband. I remember not sleeping that night before it printed because I thought, well, once it prints, you can't go back. I could have pulled it right then and there. And he said, if you aren't going to write a book that's going to change somebody's life and upset somebody, then you're not going to write a book that's worth reading, and you're not going to write a book that means anything to anyone. And he was right, you know, And it was my first release of my executive level people pleaser saying Okay, I'm going to tell you a couple of things that are so far from perfect about myself, and I guess I don't care, or I'm just going to think I'm right here in the middle. It could have gone one way or another, and thankfully it went the way that you know, I think I got constant support. And somebody asked me a question about this, and I think was really interesting. They said, what if he were in Flint still, would you have ever written this book if you didn't think you had the voice or the reach. And my answer to that is, I don't know, because I can't put myself in that place because I don't know what that would feel like. But I do think that it is my responsibility of having the privilege of this reach, of having this voice, of having the ability to do it too, because I got out. I'm the lucky one that had the financial support and the family support and all the things, and now the voice to be able to reach many, many people. So I think it was exactly the right time once it printed, and once actually, by the time I read my audiobook for Natural Disaster, I got done and I was like, I don't think I shared enough the legal all the legal changes. I was like, well, that was kind of weak hold on. Really yeah, that's how it felt. So that's how much I changed within a couple of weeks. And that is a great lesson from both books, is how temporary those feelings can be. And say I had let's just say I had done this and my worst nightmares came true and that you know, my job says we're not going to renew her because we don't really want that stain on us or whatever. The stigma might be right, and that nobody else hired me. Again, I don't think that would have ever happened. I think that that's that's not where we are, thankfully societally. I think people are really ready to talk about it. We just don't know what to do with it. And when I say I checked myself into a mental health hospital, people still rise there. That's when their eyebrows go oohm, Now what is that?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Like if I say I have depression or i'm you know, people say I suffer with anxiety, we all are like, okay, even people that say, oh, I go to a therapist. I think at that point we're pretty good. When we talk about real severe intervention and real maintenance over time, that's why I wanted to write the second book because this is not a one and done. It's not like you, you know, you go to a physical trainer and you get in six shape and you eat right for six months, and then you're like, Okay, I'm never going to go to the gym again. I'm going to look just like this. That's not how mental health works either, And that's the other goal of this second book.
Speaker 1: You talk about it, I guess in between books on Instagram too, like, I feel really connected to and inspired by a lot of your eating disorder and disordered eating posts. You just have this incredible way of putting it all out there, and it makes people feel connected to you. It does the opet of what I think we all think it would do. It makes people come closer. But you mentioned people pleasing. I wanted to ask you. In the first book, you say you came into this world ready to say yes, and you call yourself a new soul, But you also say that you're a people pleaser and embracing the word no in the first memoir was something that was difficult from the first book to the second book. Where are you at with the word no?
Speaker 2: Ooh oh, I am far from perfect, far from where I think I probably will be when I get you know, when I keep practicing it. But I have come so far. I know my boundaries now, and I have really the pandemic I can think for that in part because it allowed me to fuse my identity even more. It allowed me to go back work on deep traumas and to really set intention for where and how I want to parent my kids and what I'd like to do and where that goes, and setting boundaries. And that's what I'll use instead of the word no, because I think I still don't like the word no. I think that boundary is a better word because it doesn't have to be no, it has to be this is what works for me, because this is what I need right And I have built a career on saying yes. Reading Will Smith's book right now, So did he, and he wanted to do more and more and more. And I haven't gotten to that part in his book, but I think we all get there where he realizes the implication of his what he thinks on other people. And it's when you start impacting negatively the other people around you and yourself with the lack of boundary that you really need to reassess. And I was so grateful that within the pandemic it said no for me, and then I was able to take a step back and say, wait a minute, this is the part I need to work on. So thank you world for stopping in the very weirdest way just for that moment, so that I could go into the next part with some priorities and boundaries.
Speaker 1: When you became the first female meteorologist of a major network, what did that title mean to you?
Speaker 2: So there had been so many women that have paved the way in television first right. I work with some of them, Barbara Walters and Diane Sawyer, and I think a lot about what it meant for them back then, specifically Diane, because she did start out doing weather. She was an actual weather woman, I will say, because she was not educated or trained. And I think that broadcasting did a disservice to the science of meteorology because they didn't start with scientists on TV. It started with people who were not And so to be able to watch this transition that really hasn't it's pretty young. I mean since the eighties when women started to be able to know I mean, there are a couple before that, but really the big change, especially in local markets, came eighties, nineties and two thousands. So to be able to be in a position as a chief meteorologist at a network that nobody has been a meteorologist, let alone a woman who's a meteorologist, there's a big learning curve for our audience and for the network kind of even produce and stuff that I work with. I think if we went around ABC right now and asked what is ginger Z's title, I don't know if they would know that I actually have a scientific background and education, because it takes a long time to educate people about who you are, right and what your background is and what you can do. Constantly, our whole lives are about reintroducing ourselves. Doesn't it just feel like like the perpetual first date, Like everywhere you go you're like, oh, right, you don't know anything about me? Okay, you got to kind of it really humbles you back to that point and how I feel great. I feel extreme excitement because I think there's such opportunity, but I have to constantly remind myself when things don't go quite as planned that we've come a long way, you know, and being in this position have I am so lucky that so many people started before me. But now I have this place where I can really push forward, break glass, smash walls, and hopefully do as much as I can before they kick me out.
Speaker 1: I don't think they're kicking you out anything. What do you think the biggest or one of the biggest shifts is that you've made on ABC and vice versa. How has the title and the position changed you?
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, it's has changed, you know, like when you most people, when you get into broadcasting, I'll think that the network is the top. This is it. This is the best, biggest job out there in what I do, and it is. But once I settled in after the first two three years, I realized, wait a minute, it's not the top. This is just the beginning again. I'm starting over. I'm starting over not only in educating people who I am and where I am and what I do, but in what I want to leave as a legacy. And so I realized that, you know, my thirty seconds talking about windshill and then you know, doing whatever I do is wonderful and it's a great kind of beacon at the top. But they have to build the whole pyramid of what I want to leave behind and what I want. So I've built this incredible weather team of meteorologists behind the scenes. I've now started and really worked hard for an actual organized climate unit, which I've been fighting for for three years. That's come to fruition, and the next level for me is not only producing kind of long form climate series environmental series, but I want so badly as I've always wanted to do, to be involved, if not the face of the newest entertainment scientists. You know, there was mister Wizard who I grew up with, then there was Bill Nye. We have not had another one kind of gelled together for the kids of today. And if that's not a woman, I don't want to be a part of it, right, A lot of it's got to be a woman. And if it can't be me because I'm aging out or something, and it's got to be like a YouTube scientist, I'm there for her. I want to produce her. It doesn't matter. I just want to be a part of that. And so I think, you know, you realize that you have so much more to give, and that's why I'm sure there are a lot of people like us. I think we'll always feel underutilized, if that makes sense, Like, wait a minute, I could do so much more, Well, then go do so much more. And that's what I've been grateful for. ABC and GMA specifically have been such great platforms. I think of them as the starting point now and I got a climb again.
Speaker 1: When you did Dancing with the Stars. Were you nervous at all that people wouldn't take you seriously as a scientist and meteorologist.
Speaker 2: I hoped they wouldn't so that I could inform them else the other way.
Speaker 1: Really, I hope for.
Speaker 2: Those conversations because I don't expect it, you know, Unfortunately we're just I don't know that we're there. And so I always loved when people would be like, oh, how can you put stepret in an address on a dance and then think that you're a scientist. I'm like, I know, is this amazing? The doctor that you go to can also play racquetball, and you know they can do anything. The female doctor that's my best friend, she still today walks into deliveries and one of the people in the room will say, when is the doctor coming? It's unbelievable. What not just this science goes through, so I say, dive into it, go so far left that they can't even comprehend, and then inform them that all people, not just female scientists, but all people, are complex human beings who are able to do many things, super skilled and talented beyond and that's how we should look at people and stop with the one. You know, I wrote about it in the new book, and I said, it's like it's like it's like the world wants us all to have the chiron that lower third on television, that just gives you one title. That's not fair. That's not who we are. Each part of us has such complex layers of identity, and that's where we get in trouble when we don't realize or give empathy to all the other layers in between.
Speaker 1: I'm always pretty taken by your limitless thinking, because I think, specifically in broadcast and in traditional media, you're so molded like there is only one archetype. And have you always been able to see beyond that or was that something knew?
Speaker 2: How lucky I was that I didn't go to school for it? I think because I think had I or I didn't want it in the beginning, You know, I went to college not thinking I was going to get into television at all, and I didn't study television, and so I do think that I was fortunate to have a science education and then more of an experiential on the way up through broadcasting communication. And so I do think that I would always look at in my early jobs, I'd be looking around. I would see people doing the same things the vagina hands. They would do the voice that sounded like somebody else's voice and then talk to me and sound different. And because I hadn't grown up with that ideal, I think that helped a lot. It didn't mean that I didn't fall into it. At times. I can go back and find some not the hands. But I do find some times where I'm like, what am I doing all my voice there? Because I'm worried about somebody taking me seriously with a high pitched voice or something. But I'm so grateful that I had that, And I constantly when I was teaching at Valpareizo, I would constantly tell my students look around, find that singular, that archet type that people do all the time, and don't do that right, find your things that you the one that get that got me back then, and and when I got to the network, it's almost impossible to not do take a look as you can see any of the stuff that's like, well, obviously we're saying it's on television, right. But there are times, yes, the crutch words are like the very cliche. And I've been pretty pretty outspoken in that in finding those words. And even like the word motorist because of the Virginia thing that just happened. I was like, okay, team, we are never because would you say, hey, Mom, I saw a motorist the other day. And no, it's the weirdest word I know. I don't even like the word resident's aid of what a resident what? It gives you? No character and depth And there we go. That's what it is. Is like, we don't need just the lower third of what an anchor looks like, of what a meteorologist sounds like or does. I think each person is so fun and unique and has such story to them that they should be able to use that. I'm a consultant nightmare. I mean I really am, because they go through and they want you to have the same hair and the same clothes and all of those things, and I'm like, that's not me.
Speaker 1: Sorry, and that's why you got hired. But I want to talk about your second book. I really liked the title, and then when I researched what it meant to you it was, it felt even more meaningful. So how did you choose the title?
Speaker 2: So I worked. I worked at NBC stations and had grown up watching NBC stations my whole life, and so I grew up watching Al Roker say in your neck of the Woods, and I remember that being so just memorable, right, And I thought, well, there are a couple of reasons why it's memorable. Its shorts quick, it fits him, it feels like and because he's been doing it a long time. And so when I got the job at ABC, not only did I say, let me get my brain right, you know, get some mental health help, but I also said, I've got to work on that thing that I'm going to toss to the local cutaway and make it mine because I fully intend in my passwords to be here for a very long time, and that was my goal. And so I knew that had to mean something to me. And I love the idea. I thought a lot about what is it when I'm tossing to a local affiliate in back in grad Rapids where I worked. What do I want them to feel? I want them to feel like I'm checking in their house. That's what TV is. I'm checking in a little closer to home. And that's why a little closer to home became the thing that I say. That then tells the control room, Okay, it's time to go to the you know, the local weather, and that felt like the right fit. Then when I was wrote this book or started writing the book, I really the first one, natural Disaster. I wrote the title before I wrote the book because it was that easy. It was the easiest one. That's me. This one. I was throwing around different ideas and I didn't really love anything. And then my husband sage advice that he always has. He's like, what about your little closer to Home? And I was like, oh my gosh, that's it. I mean, the book's a lot closer to home, but it fits. It's exactly the right When you.
Speaker 1: Say it's a lot closer to home, do you mean in what you're sharing or what do you mean by that?
Speaker 2: Yes, in what I'm sharing. So the first one, the first book was written mostly on airplanes. But when I was Dancing with the Stars, it was, you know, written at thirty five thousand feet, and I think it feels like that, I think when I especially when I go back and read it again, it feels like only the very outside the exosphere of our atmosphere. Right, That's how I can make the analogy. And it's wonderful because I realized that I didn't even need to share more than that to be able to get the responses that I was. But as I went through and the publisher said, you know, people liked it a lot. They love the tools. They want you to share more of those tools that you learned, I thought, okay, I'll start writing some of those down again. But I didn't really have like a vision for the book. And then I was at work and it was seven am on the Dot and we had the cold open of the show, which is when you kind of hear that sound from whatever the news headline is, and it was Christine blase Ford giving her testimony in the Brett Kavanaugh try and here was a woman crystal clear at seven am hit me, slapping me out of the blue. It felt like talking about sexual assault and rape. And that was the conversation of the morning, and it hit deep inside me to a trauma that I had not dealt with, I had not looked back at, and I had told very very few people in my life about my husband, one therapist once. Really limited numbers of people knew this about my life because it was something that I had tried to run away for a very long time, which is totally normal for someone who's been sexually assaulted or raped. And that was just it hit me. In that moment. I started bawling, and my producer and best friend Sam, she said, do I need to tell them you can't do the show this morning? Like, what's going on? Are you okay? What's happening? I told her, and then I realized I have a lot of work to do. And that's what this book is about, is about realizing that even somebody who's writing a book about trauma or about mental health doesn't mean you're done. It's just a constant maintenance and it's a constant digging. And so that book was that first one was thirty five thousand feet. This one was written in a pandemic in my basement, on my couch, and I think it's your home, in my home, a lot closer to home, and so not only does it get into topics much deeper than the first one did, it still has humor, It still has all the things I hope people and it is my voice. They changed barely anything in this one, thankfully, and it just feels like me, I.
Speaker 1: Can't wait to read it, you know, with the pandemic, I hear this in media, but I truly believe that the real pandemic that's coming next is mental health. I think have opened the conversation, but are nowhere near really where it should be. What do you see coming in terms of mental health and where do you think we still like what needs to happen for people to truly talk about it in a way, like at the beginning of the interview said, there's still you know, you say hospital and there's people's eyebrows.
Speaker 2: Go up, the most extreme cases and people who have dealt with PTSD And now I'm not talking about schizophrenics or some of the disorders and diseases that are not environmental or able to be helped by therapy and medicine. Right, So there are different categories, and I don't want to lump everybody in, but if we're talking about the rampant depression, anxiety, and the part that I believe you're speaking about because of the pandemic. I think that the biggest This is going to sound strange because it's part of the problem, but I think it can be part of the solution. I think technology can end up being a big part of the solution.
Speaker 1: Really, I do.
Speaker 2: There's a group who is doing this test in high schools in Philadelphia with an anonymous app where they are able to anonymously say click on an app and say I'm thinking about taking my own life, or I know my best friend has spoken regularly about taking their own life, or even something as I'm afraid of you know what my parents will think about this and I'm feeling a lot of stress about it. So they have different layers of this anonymous and now, of course it's not fully anonymous in like the deep tech of it, but it is an outlet. It's the first outlet. And when we talk about you know, okay, here's a number if if you or someone you know is thinking about suicide, which is helpful. I think that the way that our brains work right now we should probably lean into, and that is I want to be able to hit an app and say I don't feel right. You want to do that with medicine, right, You want to be able to do that with if you need if you want to know if you have COVID or not. Wouldn't it be great like it's So this is kind of that transition to it. Now in the school setting, they're going to have counselors on hand with the app so they can say, Okay, we hear you, we're available, we can come to you. You could come to us, or if you want to keep texting right now, we're happy to do that. And it will give this It will give the first line much easier than making a phone call for a teenager, much easier, and it will give that really great opportunity that could give the slice of hope or sunshine that I think that a lot of people in those places need to tell them. What you're feeling right now is temporary. You will feel differently tomorrow, maybe not that much differently, but things will change. And that's the thing is life will change. So that little we always wonder what would we say to ourselves if we went back right, what would be our advice? And I don't know if perspective is possible without experience, but I do think that sharing those little tiny seeds could grow into something. And I think that in that way, if we could get that what this app is doing for this school, and they've seen fantastic results already, if we could get that for societally, I think we'd be in a much better place, because right now it's hard to find a therapist right the access is difficult for people financially. The access like even for my husband. He was saying, it feels like tinder, like how do I know what these people do? I'm not informed about this. And so I think what hopefully medicine in mental health, medicine will do is say, okay, And this is why I think hospitals could be way better. But are a great place to start. Let's funnel everybody to the one place, just like you'd go to your general practitioner, for you have to go there first. Then they put you off. If your knee hurts, they put you off to the guy who does needs or the gal who does needs, and they don't send you the ear nose and throat person. But when we are blindly looking through therapists, we're definitely going to the ear nose and throat person when we're supposed to be going to the foot pediatrist of your brain, and that needs to be work done. And I think everybody it's so hard to navigate and if you're in a dark place, the last thing you're going to do is go figure out who to get to help you through this. And that's why teams have to be a part of So this is kind of the next layer, is like that community of understanding. So it takes a lot of edguc for people to learn about what it takes. Even with my husband, I have to I'm like the one writing books on it. And it's hard because he's like he picked one, went to a couple of sessions. He's like, I don't think it's the right fit. And I said, then we move on. You got to move on. You got to also be ready to say this is going to be hard. This isn't just a one and done. I am doing this for the rest of my life. I'm going to be in therapy for the rest of my life. And once you kind of commit to that, that's like committing to the gym. The same thing it's committing to the gym of your brain and if you're fortunate enough to have a personal trainer slash therapist outstanding and I think, I hope my goal is to help everybody have access to that, and if we can't, and we can't right now, then to share tools that people can do right now, to focus on that are free, that are easy, that I call like the sit ups of my brain, because we all have access to the gym in our lives right hold a plank right now. You don't need to go to a personal trainer. We can do this, And so I think it's sharing that information and making it super normal and then doing it in groups so that it becomes the norm that if you and I were friends for a long time, we sit and we have mental health check ins and we start talking about you know, like we're not experts and we're not going to be able to diagnose each other, but the moment you talk about it and put words to what you're feeling the moment, some of the control and power changes and shifts in the best way. And so I think those are the things that we can start doing right now, and we are. We're doing it right now, but take to that next place Jane Norman, a woman I work with and one of the chapters of my new book, I said that my new advice sounds really bad from someone who has twice attempted suicide. But I always say that what I would tell my younger self is it doesn't matter and nobody cares because it doesn't really matter. Is applicable to almost everything that we're concerned about.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: I mean, if I asked you when the last time you lost sleepover something, do you remember what you lost sleepover?
Speaker 1: Yeah, only because it was like two days ago. But if you were to ask me otherwise, no, right now, not even a week ago, could I tell you?
Speaker 2: Right? And even the two nights ago? Yeah, And there are things that will matter. And what I do is I ask myself, will I remember this in a month. Am I going to remember this a year from now? If I'm going to remember it a year from now, Okay, I'm allowed to put energy toward that. And you have to let things feel and let them suck. Just let it suck and let and you got to move through it because trauma is trauma. You can't erase it, you can't delete trauma, but you have to process it so that it does not cause stress for the rest of your life. And if you don't do that, that's what really my book is about, is the old cover up of trauma. And that's what I was really good at. I was like expert at shoving a bunch of like taking a wound, putting some dirt in it, covering it with sticks, and then putting a bandage as if nothing ever happened, but that festering wound was going to be there forever. And I had several of those that I had to dive into, clean up and learn how to do better next time.
Speaker 1: I have a few really quick, rapid fire questions before you leave me. One is, besides your actual physical home, where feels like home to you?
Speaker 2: Oh, Lake Michigan.
Speaker 1: What is the smartest decision you've ever made?
Speaker 2: Letting him love me? Letting me be loved. That's the better way, because even with my children, and that's why I think, I think children come as a result of him, And so I would say allowing myself to be loved and then learning through that how to love myself.
Speaker 1: Is there a book that changed your life or a book that you think everybody should read?
Speaker 2: I mean, I always love self help that type. And you know, Dan Harris's book about meditation changed my life because it changed how I saw meditation and atomic habits, which is something that I just more recently read, is also a way to shift little little things in your brain that are so easy.
Speaker 1: I know that you have a really nice relationship with Robin Roberts. If you could share one takeaway from that friendship, what would it be?
Speaker 2: Grace. She's the epitome of grace. Even if she doesn't agree with someone or she doesn't She's what the world needs to be right now. They should take masterclass. Well she did do a master class, but lessons from her on that.
Speaker 1: And on your Instagram. One of my very favorite things you do is you show so many great green swaps, and the best part is that they're pragmatic, like you can actually.
Speaker 2: Do everybody can do them, and they're usually cheaper. I try to be really cognizant of the cost because I know that privilege sometimes comes with these things, but there's also a lot of misinformation about products and things.
Speaker 1: Yes, so if you can share one that you think you came in contact with recently, or one that everybody can do.
Speaker 2: I'm really proud that I've gotten my husband, the paper towel user off of paper towels, so we use something called an unpaper towel. For the last three years, we have not purchased any paper towels, much to my I think mother in law chagrin. She's always like, what do I wipe this up with? I'm like a towel, just to the towel, regular towel. Yeah, it's what we always did have before paper became the thing. And are you know we have a nanny that helps us out. And she was even saying that I've changed her and they stopped buying paper towels, and I was like, it's happening one at a time. Sorry, paper towel companies, you are not going to be a fan of mine.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not. My mom would never use them growing up. She would yell at me, yes, what's the use? Yes, okay, so on paper towels. I love it. Ginger, thank you.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: All Right, today's a good day.
Speaker 2: To have a good day.
Speaker 1: I'll see you next week.