Speaker 1: Scrubbing In with Beca Tilly and Tanya rad and iHeartRadio and two time People's Choice Award winning podcasts.
Speaker 2: Hello everybody, we are scrubbing In. It is Thursday, so it is a Dear Bonya episode. But Becca's not here with us today, and we have two special guests, and so what we were kind of wanting to do with the podcast today is every Thursday we do a Dear Bonya. So it's like scrubbers email in their questions that they needed advice on. And we have our guests who have a podcast called Therapy Thursday where you're giving advice and you're giving your knowledge to people, so we figure, why not combine them.
Speaker 3: I love that you call them scrubbers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's amazing. I love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, our scrubbers. They need a lot of advice. And we are not professionals.
Speaker 4: We give our opinions, but we have a professional here.
Speaker 2: We have Sarah Dash She is a licensed psycho therapist. Yes, and you are part of Therapy Thursday with I Am you Want and only Ellen Kay.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 4: Ellen k needs no introduction.
Speaker 2: She is the voice of Los Angeles, the female voice on Los Angeles.
Speaker 5: Oh thanks, you are.
Speaker 4: I mean I could go on and on about you.
Speaker 5: But we have friends for a long time, for.
Speaker 4: A long time.
Speaker 2: Ellen K is the host of Coast one three point five's The ellen K Morning Show. But I mean, you have so many accolades. I mean I could go on and on.
Speaker 1: No, you don't need too, Tanya, thank you. That's a very nice introduction.
Speaker 3: She's amazing here, Charlie, amazing.
Speaker 1: Tanya and I have been friends for a very long time. We've been through a lot of life together.
Speaker 2: Yes, I met you, and I was twenty two, I think twenty two or twenty three.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, And Tanya was.
Speaker 1: Just kind of going through finding the love of her life, yes, and so that meant losing who she thought was the love of her life and moving on and also becoming a woman, Like I have watched you grow.
Speaker 5: Into being the woman you are today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like I was like a kid, well.
Speaker 2: But you were you know, you know, I was embarrassing, nosed.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: I thought that breakup was like the end of my life. Like I was like, I'm never going to find someone like him, and.
Speaker 6: Devastating, especially if it's that first big breakup's absolutely annihilating.
Speaker 2: But like I couldn't separate like my personal life and work. Like I would come to work and I would just like cry the whole time. I'm like, thank God, Like I.
Speaker 5: Feel like that's part of our jobs though, is that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we go through, other people are going through, and so it's bringing us all together and relating to it. And I think that that was one of the your magic sauces.
Speaker 4: Oh thank you.
Speaker 2: Well, when I first started on on air, the Ryan Seacrest, alan Ka was the co host, and she was so sweet to me, and we found out that we were sorority sisters.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, my sister was a Theta Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah runs deep.
Speaker 5: Yes it does, it does, it does.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it was just like such a special time.
Speaker 1: Yes, really, this is a special time. We're so happy to be on your podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah okay, sorry, good, let's go back to Therapy Thursday. So you started Therapy Thursday on your morning show.
Speaker 4: And then but for how long.
Speaker 1: It was just a radio feature. We were probably I don't know, almost a year.
Speaker 6: I would say six months, maybe not even that long.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then there was you know these research projects the company does. So there's a research project and I got a call from our program director and he said, hey, can we talk? And I was like, oh no, Like he got the research back and listened to this, and I'm like, really do it? I don't really, I don't know, do I? And then he said, I said, why don't you tell someone else to tell me? So he said, no, this is really good news. The research came back for therapy Thursday, and the perceptuals and the verbatims they want more, and so I was like, that's great, so exciting.
Speaker 5: And then.
Speaker 1: And then they said, let's make it into a podcast. That way we can just like let it go and just talk and get the people on with us or the problems have.
Speaker 2: More time and have more time when you're on the radio, you're on a strict schedule.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And it's so fast.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Really, because we started on the radio, we were doing like therapy in three minutes.
Speaker 5: That's what we should have called it.
Speaker 6: That would have been perfect because it was like, I mean, never, never over five minutes.
Speaker 4: But can I be honest? But it's also nice sometimes.
Speaker 5: It is you know what, You're right, it's like speed dating.
Speaker 2: It's like yes, because sometimes my biggest gripe with therapy is that I go in and I just feel like.
Speaker 4: I'm unloading for a full hour. H and it drains me.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I love therapy, like I see like I'm like such an advocate. I love it so much, but sometimes I feel like if I'm doing multiple a week, it's draining.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what do you say that, because you're you're on the other.
Speaker 6: Side about doing like multiple sessions a week or like.
Speaker 1: This therapy, say, Tanya is your patient, right and client and she's there unloading? Does it also is it also draining for the therapist? For me, it's absolutely not okay. For me, it's I find it energizing. I find it inspirational. And I'll tell you what we were talking about looping earlier. How you can get in your brain and you looping like it's basically like rumination where from the past or I mean something where you're just kind of rehearsing that scenario over and over, like you're telling the story to yourself about the guy.
Speaker 3: Huh exactly.
Speaker 1: And loop it's a different it's it can it can morph and change and it can get worse or it can get better. Yeah, So that's your loop. So you got out of your loop. And some people according to Sarah, because you were talking about never get out of.
Speaker 3: Their loop and you can stay stuck in your head.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you're stuck in your head. So like, let's say that you can't get over this guy, well, you keep looping him and so you're looking.
Speaker 4: You only remember the good stuff, right or or the bad stuff.
Speaker 6: That's why people have really like black and white memories in regard to a past relationship.
Speaker 1: So when you finally got out of your loop with him, you kind of freed yourself and to other people.
Speaker 5: I mean, so you broke the loop.
Speaker 4: He broke the loop for me.
Speaker 2: Okay, then, but then it was up to you to move on, to step into my power, and you didn't.
Speaker 6: And that's and that's okay, that's amazing. That's what you want to have happened. In terms of doing like a speed kind of session, I think it's amazing. I think it's really helpful. Sometimes you just like hit the points and I really do never get overwhelmed or feel drained because it is so interteresting and it gets me out of my own loop.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm.
Speaker 3: With whoever I'm talking to.
Speaker 2: But it's cool that you guys have this as something for people like, you know, like because you can't do you can't book a five minute session with a therapist, right, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: And so it's like this is.
Speaker 2: Kind of their way of getting a quick hit if they need something, you know what I mean, instead of like booking a full hour exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Like this lady called she was set to get married.
Speaker 1: Her wedding's four months out, and her husband to be couldn't make it to some kind of family dinner. So the brother flies in from Miami and he's like this single, like he's the man, right, So he goes to the dinner. She goes to the dinner, and she's like electrified through her body by this guy. And he brushes up against her and she was like, oh my god, this guy is like turning me on just by touch.
Speaker 5: Then walks through.
Speaker 1: To her car and says, if only we had met earlier. So he's like, this is his brother's going to marry this girl?
Speaker 3: That's so gross, right and pretty intent.
Speaker 5: She couldn't stop thinking about him, but.
Speaker 6: Like to the point of thinking I shouldn't get married. I'm having such intense feelings for this other guy.
Speaker 5: So what do you tell his brother?
Speaker 1: So so That's the beauty of the five minute is that we didn't have Like Sarah doesn't have time to really dig in and just said, you know, you gave it to her straight.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I can't remember that.
Speaker 6: I'm trying to remember, but I said, oh, oh, the transgression arousals?
Speaker 5: Okay, have you ever wanted?
Speaker 6: It's when something is erotic because it's taboo, and if it weren't taboo, you really really cared.
Speaker 3: That much about it. But it's like what's elusive and.
Speaker 5: Bad makes it? Did you ever have that? Tell us about your transgression?
Speaker 4: But I never, like you just.
Speaker 5: Want because it's bad.
Speaker 4: I've never been that girl.
Speaker 5: Okay, I don't.
Speaker 4: I like following the rules.
Speaker 2: I like, you know what I mean, Like, I'm not like a rule breaker, literally need the taboo.
Speaker 1: Has ever had transgressional arousal? We'll have to ask you.
Speaker 4: That's something I've never asked her, but I think I should a.
Speaker 3: Pretty interesting conversation.
Speaker 2: But what I was listening to you were giving somebody advice. It was like they were with somebody. The details aren't exactly accurate. I'm just going off my memory, but she was with someone for like eight years and they were engaged for five years and he wouldn't like talk about getting married.
Speaker 5: Yes, And he kept.
Speaker 2: Saying it's not the right time, it's not the right time. And like you said this line, you were like, drop the word time, and I.
Speaker 4: Was like that that means it's not right.
Speaker 5: It's not right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I was like that's a good one, really good about it.
Speaker 4: I was like, that's deep.
Speaker 5: Right, it's not the right time. It's not just the word time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Se, So that's in a quickie form.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like I'm always amazed by Sarah because she can just get right to it because you you've seen and heard so much.
Speaker 4: And you're trained to do that.
Speaker 5: I'm trained to do that. Yeah, right, I know.
Speaker 2: I'm always like I'm anytime I have, like I talked to my therapist about something, I'm just like, how do you see it? Like I'm like, I wish I had it inherently in me to like have that ship or see the other side, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: Like you might have it inherently when it comes to hearing what's going on with somebody else, But I don't think any of us are able to look at things accurately in the same way that somebody else can when they're hearing it.
Speaker 2: Do you have sorry, and then we're going to get to some advice, But do you have any do you like clients or patients better?
Speaker 3: I think either one.
Speaker 4: I think clients.
Speaker 3: I usually say.
Speaker 5: Clients, but either one is like they're like they're sick.
Speaker 6: It was going to say it can be pathologizing, right, So that's I think request some people.
Speaker 2: So, do you have any clients that are kind of like always waiting for the shoe to drop, like my life is too good, something bad is going to happen, like.
Speaker 6: A type of anticipatory anxiety where they're kind of in that state.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, what is that?
Speaker 6: I think that ultimately that's about keeping ourselves safe because we're prepared for that bad thing. And I think if somebody is used to being in that space, it actually doesn't feel safe to feel safe because your guard is no longer up.
Speaker 3: So it's really counterintuitive.
Speaker 6: But if my mind stays just a little bit anxious, a little bit on guard, that actually gives me a feeling of safety.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, so it's not bad to have that.
Speaker 2: Because I was having this conversation with some friends over the weekend and I thought it so interesting that like some people just don't have that like that chip at all, and then it's like plagues them. Oh right, I'm kind of in the middle, like it doesn't plague me, but I do have it. Like I'm like, Okay, things are like good right now, what's going to happen?
Speaker 6: And you don't want it to steal your joy? Yeah, you know, you don't want it to take you out of the present moment. So I think it is a fine line in somebody who's just blissfully unaware, right, yes, and you know, versus our thinking about something you know constantly. But it's it's I don't really think of it as good or bad. It's just protective. It's just part of the human condition for some people.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, we're going to get into a couple of emails.
Speaker 4: If you don't mind, I would love that.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: This is from Anonymous. I'm thirty one and currently going through a divorce after leaving an abusive marriage. For the first time, I think I may have feelings for a woman. I'm open to exploring that possibility, But the complication is that she's my coworker and I'm technically above her at work. She's openly gay, openly gay, and for months there's been a lot of flirting, teasing, eye contact, and what feels like chemistry. At times, she seems interested, but she also has turned down invitations to hang out outside of work. Recently, she invited me out for drinks after work, and I thought it might be a one on one hangout, but a couple of days later she suggested inviting other coworkers, which left me even more confused. Now I'm wondering if I'm reading too much into it. How do I figure out if there's something there without making things awkward at work or ruining the friendship.
Speaker 6: I think it's really complicated, and I'm going to say what I think, but I want to hear what you think.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think that she should find someone else to explore the female.
Speaker 5: Relationship outside of work.
Speaker 1: Outside of work, I feel like she's kind of making a mess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with that completely, so accompanying exactly.
Speaker 6: It's not a good idea, especially with her being her subordinate. That's not it's not a good idea. And it seems like that this woman has mixed feelings about it as well, because she keeps sort of moving closer and then pulling back plans. Then she invites other people. You know, she turns down offers the plans. I think that the woman that she's interested in since is that.
Speaker 2: But this is why it's good to have you guys here, because if I was just what would you do?
Speaker 4: It would have been like shoot your shot?
Speaker 1: Oh see, I was thinking, see what's asking?
Speaker 3: But you're okay, Say.
Speaker 5: You're her, Say you're anonymous.
Speaker 1: You're experimenting like you don't think right, So why experiment with something.
Speaker 5: That could love in your face?
Speaker 3: Correct or someone?
Speaker 1: Yeah you can hurt and you really don't want that, but you just want to see I don't know, do I like women? Let me go find someone super fun, right, who I feel comfortable with, who I could I don't know, explore this.
Speaker 5: With and then make up my mind right, But I don't know.
Speaker 2: No, it's actually my really smart advice. My advice is.
Speaker 4: Questionable.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is from anonymous friends attended x ex's wedding. Okay, So my ex husband and I divorced two and a half years ago after ten years together. It was mostly amicable. The challenge is that our friend groups are deeply intertwined. This weekend, my best my three best friends traveled to Charleston for my ex husband's wedding, and I found out through Instagram photos. What hurt was that none of them gave me a heads up or checked in beforehand. They said that they had mentioned they they've said they didn't mention it because they didn't want to upset me or bring up painful memories. But to me, a wedding feels like a big enough event that a close friend would at least acknowledge for context. I'm in a wonderful relationship myself. This isn't about wanting him back. It's just about feeling supported by the people I considered my closest friend.
Speaker 5: Oh that hurts, Yeah, it is.
Speaker 6: I mean, I understand that most people are hesitant to have difficult discussions, but I think that's something we owe our friends and the people we care about, is the willingness to have an uncomfortable conversation. And that didn't happen in the situation. And that's why it's so hurtful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because if you really care about the person, you're going to put it out there, no matter how painful it's going to be. Yeah, And then to find out on social media that, to me, that's just like the worst because we all done it. We'd all opened up someone's whatever and seen something and go out like that.
Speaker 5: Of course that hurts it. I didn't know.
Speaker 1: That this was happening or well, I felt like I was really close with this person, but they didn't share this.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and the betrayal is not that they attended the wedding. I mean, she says that the friend groups are intertwined. It's that they didn't have that. They were not willing to have that difficult conversation.
Speaker 2: They chose their Let's say they had the conversation, how would they have it? Because I'm like, I'm not trying to run through my head. Okay, let's say I really can't even put myself in this situation right now. But like, okay, so I'm going to somebody's wedding that one of my best friends.
Speaker 4: Was dating in the past, right right, how do I.
Speaker 2: Even start that conversation? Like, Hey, I just want to let you know we're going to so and so's wedding.
Speaker 3: That's perfect? Is that not Awkward's And that's the thing is it's going to be awkward. Embrace it. You can even say this is awkward.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I would love starting conversations like that, like this is gonna be really hard to say, but it can or this is.
Speaker 6: I'm telling you something. I'm going to tell you something it may be hard to hear, and you go into it. There's nothing wrong with that, and I think people deeply appreciate that.
Speaker 2: I know I like to I feel like I shy away from awkwardness too, But it's not the right thing to do.
Speaker 3: Most people do.
Speaker 6: We don't like we hate the idea of making somebody else feel bad unless you're a psychopath. So by virtue of the fact that you're not a psychopath, it doesn't feel good, and that's that's not a bad thing that it doesn't feel good. It also doesn't mean you should do it just because it doesn't feel good.
Speaker 5: I have a.
Speaker 1: Problem too with that confrontation, Like I when, for instance, there's someone I know who if I tell her a piece of information will actually help her life, I don't know if it's my business to tell her, and I feel awkward telling her.
Speaker 3: What's the concern? What's your worst case scenario?
Speaker 5: I mean, I guess there isn't one if it's going to help her life.
Speaker 3: But is it that, like she won't be my friend anymore. I mean I know that. I mean like to break it down to like a super kind of Oh.
Speaker 1: No, I guess not. I guess there really is. I guess it's just more that I don't want to have to say I don't want have to have to be the one to say it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't want to be the bearer.
Speaker 1: Of bad news and not even really bad news, just like pay attention to this, like, yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: I don't know. I have a hard time with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so tough because I feel like even sometimes like we'll get a lot of emails or people saying, like, I know my friend is about to marry a bad guy. Yes, right, and like, you know, should I say something? And my advice is always.
Speaker 5: No, yeah, let her learn for herself, right.
Speaker 2: Because if you say something and then they're in their head about it, and then they end up not getting married, and then it's on you, And it.
Speaker 6: Depends, I think, on whether it's just a feeling or there's evidence that he was left with somebody else, sure, a person No, no, no, no, this happened to tell us.
Speaker 4: I was in college. I didn't like my friend's boyfriend.
Speaker 2: I thought he was like, not a great guy, and I told her, and I will never do it again because she ended up marrying him. Okay, now great, Yeah, and now I'm like the you know, the one that I didn't believe in him.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So yeah, not my rodeo, not my poney.
Speaker 3: I understand the hesitation you had that experience.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it scarred me.
Speaker 5: It was traumatic. Yeah it sounds like it was.
Speaker 2: Yes, I wasn't. Okay from anonymous. These are all anonymous.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: I'm thirteen weeks pregnant with my first child, and my husband and I are thrilled. My boss and I have worked together for years and are also friends outside of work. She helped me grow professionally, but I've also worked hard to earn my raises and promotions. This year, five women on our team became pregnant around the same time, creating overlapping maternity leaves and added stress for management. When I told my boss I was pregnant, her initial reaction was great, I'll just quit. She later apologized, and I thought we had moved past it. Recently, I learned she's been telling coworkers that after everything she's done for me professionally, she feels like I've taken advantage of her and that this is how I've repaid her.
Speaker 5: She has even.
Speaker 2: Questioned whether our relationship can recover because of my pregnancy. Hearing that was incredibly hurtful because I never viewed my career opportunities as something that gave anyone a say in when I start my family. How do I maintain this relationship moving forward without taking on guilt that doesn't belong to me.
Speaker 4: That's loaded.
Speaker 3: That's pretty serious.
Speaker 6: I mean it comes that's I think pretty deeply inappropriate. Yeah, to even make a comment about somebody else's pregnancy and their life choices.
Speaker 2: You know, I want to hear your advice on this, But then I want to go into a dovetail of this conversation.
Speaker 6: Oh I'm sorry, right now you want to hear my advice, Like.
Speaker 4: What what would you tell her to do in this situation?
Speaker 6: God, this is complicated because it is her boss, so you're kind of limited in how direct.
Speaker 3: It you should probably be.
Speaker 6: I think there's something to be said for just pulling back, gently, pulling back maybe a little bit more boundaried. And as far as what she says, it depends on the context.
Speaker 3: In terms of.
Speaker 6: Where she would like to see that relation in the future, Like is this a relationship where she wants to maintain a personal connection or would she feel better kind of moving it into a professional sphere only.
Speaker 4: Right like picking a lane, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what's your dovetail?
Speaker 2: My dovetail is the whole, like the pregnancy culture with women and work. I feel like I had a girlfriend who got her dream job and she wanted to start a family like right away, but she was like, I can't do that because I just got my dream job, so I can't just like go on maternity leave, And so she put it off, trying trying for her baby for like a year, and then she ended up having a harder time getting pregnant than she thought. And it just made me like sad because I'm just like, as women, like we do, we have to think about all these things, you know, like and it's like such a hard Starting a family is like such a hard thing in and of itself, but then you add that layer of like career onto it, and it's just like tough. How do you navigate? Do you deal with women that have to deal with any of this stuff?
Speaker 3: I do deal with that, and it comes up.
Speaker 6: I think comes up more often than we wish it did because of exactly the reasons that you said that it's complicated. It's not like you just decide to do this one day and then you just switch into something else the next day. If you choose to have a child, you are simultaneously a mother and a career person, right, And I don't know that our culture is as supportive as it should be.
Speaker 5: Okay, I have a movie forew to watch both of you. We haven't seen it yet.
Speaker 1: Sasha Varon Cohen is the star of Ladies First. Okay, and so what have you heard of it?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I know it's band new. Oh yeah, it's brand new. I think it just came out this weekend actually. And he is just the worst kind of male boss.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: He objectifies the women, he puts them in all the rules, and he's the man, and then he works with the man. So these two men they're just like they're like just pigs. Well it's a huge, successful company. And one day he is chasing one of his employees out who wants to quit because she doesn't want to work for Pig anymore. And he hits his head and when he comes to all of a sudden, all the roles are reversed. Now the women are in charge of the world, and he's objectified, so all the billboards instead of being like sexy women, it's like a man with his butt cheeks out.
Speaker 5: And now he is the lower ring guy.
Speaker 1: And the people that used to be his minions are now running the company, like the cleaning lady is now the owner of this other woman he put at the front desk just because he didn't trust that she could do anything else, is now the CEO. Wow, And the girl he was running after becomes his boss. And he has to go to all these dinners and he dresses sexy trying to get attention, and it just shows really how objectified women are in the workplace. And it's just so great the journey that he goes through and he comes out, of course, he comes out a better guy. I don't want to do a spoiler alert, but it's a really funny kind of dark dark humor no humor comedy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's really it's really fun and funny.
Speaker 1: And then you see, because it's so extreme, you see how hard it is for women, like truly hard it is for us versus men. Because most of the men are the decision makers, and so when they flipped it around, it was great because they even they did every detail, Like he would go to these dinners, the women would be in these suits, and then he would have like this low cut shirt on and showing his boobs basically, and then he was invited over to the CEO's penthouse, right, and she answers in a robe.
Speaker 5: It's like Harvey.
Speaker 1: Weinstein, kind of stuffy, but it's a great and you see, I think every man needs to watch it.
Speaker 5: I think every woman needs to watch it.
Speaker 6: Sound funny, It sounds really funny, but it also sounds that it touches on some pretty important things, yes, which I think is what a great movie ideally does, even a comedy.
Speaker 2: I just think I feel like being a woman, especially a career woman, is just like such an interesting, layered, complex thing to be in twenty twenty six. Yeah, you know, like I'm just going through it now, where like my friends are like going on attorney leave and they're like it's the weirdest thing, going from like grinding every single day to them being swept into this like other world, watching like somebody fill in for you or whatever.
Speaker 4: Your whatever's happening.
Speaker 2: And then all of a sudden, your maternity to leave is up, and then you have to transition back to that with like all this going on at home, like it's so crazy.
Speaker 1: Happened on our show. So Darlene, my producer, she got pregnant. We were all happy for her. She was an unexpected pregnancy, like she's like it's an IUD fail, but she was the real They were so happy, and she has now the most adorable four year old boy, like such a blessing in their lives. He came into their world and they have she's a sixty or eighteen year old and a sixteen year old and now a four year old, so he has brought so much joy to their lives. But when she came back after her maternity leave, she had had a fill in and it was it was awkward for all of us, like we were so happy to have her back, but then we'd also fall in love with her fill in.
Speaker 5: So it was like this weird but great transition.
Speaker 1: I mean, of course, like we missed her so much, but I can remember having these conversations with her and she was like it felt so weird to like hear someone doing my thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: And we're in the radio, so sometimes she'd be on the race, so it was it was all very like uncomfortable. Yeah, even and we'd be a woman and then having a woman and having done maturnity leave myself and having women fill in for me and then coming back you know, it just it's it is. You're right, it's a really awkward thing because you're also hormonal. Yeah, and then you're like you've been through so much and then you're coming back to a world that's basically the same, yes, and so it's kind of like this Twilight.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's it's a big transition and it's like this temporary transition. You can go into it and then you're yank back.
Speaker 5: Yes yeah, yeah, you're not even.
Speaker 4: The same person exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: But I tell you, I think your priorities shift and then not in a bad way, but in a good way where now you're like really super woman because now you're like, I've got it's Christmas every day, I have my baby, I'm back at work, I love it, and I'm and then you just want to like do your best at both.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So but there is that awkwardness that the re entry period is strange.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm a friend Mary to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah to a he's a movie actor, so he goes away for three months at a time and she's like, re entry sucks. He comes back and dumps his laundry and we're like strangers in the house again. And even though they're facetiming every night, right've been married for you know, fifteen years. Re Entry when for anyone, let alone also a pregnancy, I think, is a really hard thing for humans.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean there's so many changes all at once, Like you mentioned physical changes, relationships within the partnership. You know, if you're having a child with somebody, then you have the career element.
Speaker 3: So it's a lot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a lot at once.
Speaker 1: I think that you know, as women, we we don't I don't think we celebrate ourselves enough or or really like look at what we do, do you know what I mean? I mean I know that you you are a big advocate for powerful women.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's like that's right.
Speaker 5: But I don't think.
Speaker 1: I don't think that we carry out with us every day as much as we should.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, And it's like we are so awesome, it's so complex and like we also feel things so much, and like, I don't know, I've.
Speaker 4: Just obviously been having these like.
Speaker 2: Existential conversations like myself, I was a late.
Speaker 5: I don't know, but I.
Speaker 4: Feel like, do you think most are most of your clients women?
Speaker 6: I would say about sixty sixty five percent women?
Speaker 2: What's the biggest thing that you I know that there's like client privileges and you can't share specifics or anything that, but like, what's like the biggest overarching theme that you see in a lot of your way clients.
Speaker 5: That's a great question.
Speaker 6: I think it's not really that different from my male clients. It's most of it is relational within a partnership, maybe family, friends, co workers. So whatever's going on oftentimes presents as relational, whether it's a man or a woman, and then you kind of dig more deeply into the reasons for that.
Speaker 5: Sarah always says people be peopling.
Speaker 4: Well, I do find that.
Speaker 2: I do find it, like relationships so interesting because I feel like two humans. Yeah, we're born raised differently, right, deal with things differently, and then you're in a relationship and you have to figure out how you do things together.
Speaker 4: That's not a natural thing, right.
Speaker 5: It's not a lot of compromise.
Speaker 6: It has a lot of compromise, and it is a huge adjustment period.
Speaker 3: For both people.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but hopefully within that adjustment you kind of grow together and it's actually part of what strengthens that bond.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I remember when I just met my now husband, when we would fight, like when we didn't really fight that much, but like you know, you have disagreements and arguments, right, He always needed to like step away and like process and I used to be anxiously attached, so I would need to talk it out right then and there, like I could There's no way I could go.
Speaker 4: To sleep, sleep on this and then talk in the morning. Like I was like, this is crazy.
Speaker 2: And so it took like a couple rounds of arguments where we both were just like having to like be like I was like I can't just go to sleep and like not talk about things, and He's like, well, I can't just like hash things out when I'm tired, you know. So I had to like come to a compromise and like now we have a kind of a good flow going to have these situations.
Speaker 4: But it took a minute to get there.
Speaker 6: It does take a minute, because, as you said, you're talking about two different people who regulate themselves differently like you.
Speaker 3: It sounds like regulate like through that.
Speaker 6: Connection through resolution, where for your partner he regulated by having a little bit of space to regulate and then.
Speaker 3: He moves back towards you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but at the beginning, especially if you don't have a sense of safety within that, it can be pretty destabilizing for both people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so true, so true, because I always thought space meant like, oh, you're going to take like the ultimate space.
Speaker 6: Yeah, space of space mint abandonment exactly. And that's why if people are arguing and they have those two different attachment styles, what I always tell people is space is often good, but space needs to be taken with the understanding I'll be back in an hour, you brit me back in two hours, I'll be back in fifteen minutes. Right. As long as the anxiously attached person has an understanding of the expectation, they're usually okay. And that can change that dialogue one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: Do you believe in all that, like the attachment style one hundred languages, Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, especially attachment style.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can learn.
Speaker 6: So much and understand somebody with a pretty accurate degree of clarity once you know.
Speaker 4: The attachment style.
Speaker 2: Do you I feel like, what population of the world are securely attached?
Speaker 5: Do you know that.
Speaker 3: Around fifty that many?
Speaker 6: That's the latest number, that was around fifty percent by.
Speaker 1: That So secure meaning no worries, not no worries, not no worries.
Speaker 4: My husband is securely attached.
Speaker 2: So he's like, doesn't really need much validation, Like he knows I love him, he knows even if we take some space, like doesn't mean like.
Speaker 5: The wakay, just like that's a confidence in the relationship.
Speaker 6: Yes, and a confidence in himself where even if things go awry with somebody, you know that you're going to be okay.
Speaker 3: You don't have that life and.
Speaker 1: Death okay that comes securely attached.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you probably are securely attached.
Speaker 1: Like I don't feel I feel like we'll always work it out and I don't feel anxiety when an issue arises. I feel like, oh, you know, well and even more as time goes by. Yeah, like I feel I feel like yeah, but I didn't like really know the definition of that securely attached.
Speaker 2: It's securely attached, anxiously attached, and what's the last time.
Speaker 6: There's like secure, and then you have anxious, and then there's avoidant.
Speaker 4: Within that Becca's avoidant.
Speaker 6: There's a smaller category avoidant. She really, Yeah, how does that show up between the two of you?
Speaker 4: It's awful?
Speaker 5: No, I mean with with you or with her partner?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, but with us as a friendship?
Speaker 5: Oh okay, yeah, I mean we're best.
Speaker 4: Friends, so like, yeah, it's not.
Speaker 1: She's probably you guys, I'm sure you talk about it a lot. Yes, yes, So she avoids what.
Speaker 2: She avoids conflict confrontation, Like she just like she'll just shut it out, she'll shut it down, and I'm like the anxious one, so I'm like needing it from.
Speaker 6: Her very So how have you negotiated that within your friendship?
Speaker 4: A great question.
Speaker 2: I think that we both know who each other the other person is, so like she'll know when she needs to like give me a little more, and I'll know when to back off of her love.
Speaker 5: So you guys compromise, Yeah, we compromise.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like you're because you were friends with Becca before you met your husband? Do you feel like your friendship and the way your energies mix attracted you to a man like your husband.
Speaker 5: He's not avoidant, but he's.
Speaker 2: Like he's like the amazing And what's funny is they're very similar.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's I'm wondering, Like, did you see a.
Speaker 4: Little fiance is very similar to me?
Speaker 3: Okay, Usually anxious and avoidant pair.
Speaker 6: That's why when you said your husband was secure, I was like, that's interesting because more oft than not secure will pair with secure. Okay, anxious and avoidant. It's almost like magnets.
Speaker 5: That's interesting fit each other. That's cool.
Speaker 4: That's so funny.
Speaker 2: I think I'm more securely attached now, like I was, like, I'm like night and day compared to how it was in the beginning.
Speaker 6: Well, there's there's such a thing as earned secure. Yeah, you can become secure. Yeah we've earned it telling yeah, yes you earned it.
Speaker 4: Finally, I thank you guys so much for good.
Speaker 3: This was amazing.
Speaker 2: Tell everybody when the podcast drops, where they can listen, where they can watch, where they can follow all the things.
Speaker 1: So it is therapy Thursday. Here's the thing, enter Ellen case therapy Thursday. Because we're sending people to the therapies. So it's early case therapy Thursday. Like if you put that in your Google search or whatever.
Speaker 2: So I looked at the podcast app and I just typed in Therapy Thursday and you popped right.
Speaker 5: Okay, great, that's good.
Speaker 1: That means we're winning that working, yeah, because we're like we're started pretty much, so so that's good to know. When you go to YouTube, it's Therapy Thursday podkay, And then all of our episodes are up there on video. And then yeah, so Therapy Thursday on the iHeartRadio app and wherever you listen to your podcast.
Speaker 5: Every Thursday we dropped new episodes, okay, and then we also put them up on YouTube. Perfect. Yeah yeah yeah perfect.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for so much.
Speaker 2: Thanks yes a, dear Bonnie. I hope everybody got some great advice. It's just like morphed so perfectly together.
Speaker 5: O love you.
Speaker 4: I will, I will