Speaker 1: Round round to get around. I get around. It's one more thing. I'm strong and getty, one more thing before we get to the beach boys and a more deep dive discussion of music maybe in general. I saw this about the Spice girls, who haven't been a thing for what were the Spice girls hotties?
Speaker 2: Yeah, in the nineties.
Speaker 3: It's longer ago than I would like to admit.
Speaker 1: And the only one that, like, you know, isn't waiting tables as far as I know, it's Victoria Beckham because she married you know, the soccer player and became a really big deal. She was posh Spice. Well, one of the other Spice girls and I don't know which one, and I'm not going to google it because I don't care, came out and said that they should change their names to be more inclusive and wanted to everything to be listed on Apple Music and everything is the Spice people or something like that. That girls was, you know, because of trans Okay, you know what, if you're a trans man, do you feel like he can't be I don't know what it was, but anyways, parody. So the only Spice person that anybody's ever heard of before Victoria Beckham came out and said, okay, well we know who was woke Spice, which I thought was pretty funny.
Speaker 3: Dumb ass Spice. Yeah that's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, more important musically, Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys has died at age eighty two. Joe for people who don't know what was he to the Beach Boys.
Speaker 3: Oh, he was their awe toeur. He was everything.
Speaker 1: If I knew what that more meant, I would be highly impressed.
Speaker 3: He was the creative engine of the Beach Boys. He wrote, arranged, envisioned not only you know, chord pattern, melody, lyrics, but he heard the arrangements in his head, the weird experimental sounds and haunting reverby harmonies and all. He just he came up with all that. So he like produced the albums. Also, yeah, yeah, he often with other people's help, but so was he.
Speaker 2: It wasn't Mike Love.
Speaker 3: No, it's funny.
Speaker 1: Mike Love, the frontman for the Beach Boys, like the least impressive of them all. I think, isn't he musically? I mean he could sing.
Speaker 3: Obviously, Yeah it's fine, but yeah he stands there in his sailor's hat and sings, which is fine, he made the damn good living at it. But yeah, and Brian Wilson stopped touring because he was just a little too crazy and delicate and had stage fright and all sorts of stuff. Did he play instruments and sing, Brian, Yeah, oh yeah, he played piano and guitar, and yeah he sang lead on a lot of their hits, but he just he wouldn't sing it sing live. That was one of the cool things about the Beach Boys. And there are a couple of bands like this, like the band which is one of our mutual you know, musical gods. The chief songwriter would say, you know, I think this one sound good. If Carl Wilson sung it like some of those beautiful God only knows which is a lot of high pitch and falsetto, that's Carl Wilson, I believe, And Brian would think this sound great of Carl sang it.
Speaker 1: So and Brian, most of the Beach Boys was legit crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, he had some pretty serious mental illness problem. He was abused terribly as a child. I didn't know what was the name of that that documentary. Yeah, his dad, Murray Wilson was uh a harsh, abusive, belittling. He would humiliate Brian over and over again when he didn't, you know, live up to his expectations.
Speaker 1: Did those his brothers, the other people and the Beach Boys are cousins and cousins, but so did it? Was it where he's brothers abused also.
Speaker 3: Just Brian And if you've ever known a dysfunctional family, often there's one special target of abusive asshole down.
Speaker 1: Sometimes the only target for some weird reason.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, which is horrible. And I'm like not an expert on the Beach Boys or anything, but.
Speaker 1: You're more than I am.
Speaker 3: But yeah, he was. He was a torture genius.
Speaker 1: Huh. And then he had that fascination with the Beatles because they were at the same time.
Speaker 3: And friendly rivals. Yeah. Those stories are actually really cool because each band's album would come out and the other Bando'd say, oh my god, that's unbelievably cool. What have we got? Where do we go? What do we do? So it was a very positive, you know, spurring each other forward creatively period.
Speaker 1: I think there's like ab Beach Boys still touring with like a bunch of twenty year olds and they call themselves at the Beach Boys or something like. Right, you can go to your county fair and see them if you want.
Speaker 3: Right, sure, Yeah, so you can get people of pay twenty bucks to show up for that, More power to you. I'm a capitalist, shameless.
Speaker 1: I was wondering, just since we were talking about music, and I know you have strong opinions on much of this. What's your least favorite kind of music? Because I like a lot of different kinds of music, and like, am I getting my car and it might be nine minute jazz or it might be two minute pop or who knows what, but depending on my mood, what's your least favorite kind of music?
Speaker 3: Wow, I'd say Polka.
Speaker 1: Poco PoCA, Polka Big and Sheboygan that's one of my favorite. John Candy lines.
Speaker 3: A lot of modern pop music I just can't listen to.
Speaker 1: You just can't listen to it.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it's just I can hear exactly what they're doing, why they're doing it, and how they did it, and it's all corporate crap. It's like, you know, it's like going to Ruth's Chris and wolfing down hot dogs, like bad hot dogs? Why am I doing this? There? Are delicious? You know, mistakes to be consumed, but you know, if it makes you happy and lifts the load of life off you for a while. Kick out the Jams. M efforts to quote the uh, the the MotorCity five, the MC five. Yeah, I don't care. I just don't get it. Now, there's some music I listened to intellectually and am impressed by, but I would never listen to it for fun, like electronica and house music and stuff like that. I think, wow, that's interesting how they changed the beat. Now they've got that little melody and now, oh there's another layer to it to keep the dancing people interested, And I think, oh, that's cool. But then I'd never listened to it.
Speaker 1: I've been on my Harry Styles kick lately and that guy is really something.
Speaker 3: Wow, I should dig in.
Speaker 1: Oh, his first of all his three albums are all so different. The first album, every track is a different kind of music, which is true. He's closer to like David Boi and Prince and Queen than he is anything else.
Speaker 3: But cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very interesting, dude. Why you wear his ladies clothes? I have no idea, because he's a strange I am.
Speaker 3: Not knee jerk contemptuous of like modern music or even modern pop music. I just need people to direct me to the stuff that's good, because I don't have time to plow through it. Because when you're a kid, and it was one of the great plays, honestly, you plowed through all sorts of music to find the stuff you really like.
Speaker 1: A yet time. Here's a weird thing that we've talked about this before. This is a weird thing that happens when you're into some music and it becomes more popular and it kind of like ruins it for you, which is weird. You know, you should want them to be successful and make more money and everything. But like Turnpike Troubadours, which I wouldn't have known anybody even had, Like there was more than like a hundred people in the country that even knew they were. I mean, they're tiny band. You could have gone and see him, and maybe you still can, but you could have gone and seen him with thirty other people at some place in your town and you know whatever. And but CBS News did a big feature on them on Sunday Morning a week ago.
Speaker 3: And it was weird.
Speaker 1: It gave me in awe, you're gonna show, You're gonna tell the whole country about Turnpiketory. I don't want that to happen. And it's just, I don't know, it's weird. It's disappointing to me. I like, I'm cool because I know about them, or just it will ruin it somehow, or I don't know, probably won't.
Speaker 3: Sly Stone passed away recently, sly and sly Stone of sly in the family Stone and I just got a tip on an album to listen to. I've never heard that had no hits on it, but they said that's the one that really really endures as music making. I haven't heard it yet, but I'm fresh from nineteen Rocky's younger brother. Uh No, No, different fella, Stone, not stallone.
Speaker 1: He Oh the guy that Trump that has Trump Nixon tattooed across his back? Does he the Stone guy that helped out Trump? Roger Stone?
Speaker 3: Rogers Stone. Again, different fella a black man for one thing, so it's easier to tell him apart from Roger Stone. Okay, but one of the great cokeheads ever produced by America. Unfortunately, creative genius got onto the Bolivian marching Powder just ruined his life.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, Michael, I don't know if.
Speaker 2: You guys remember, way back twenty seventeen, they did a tribute to him on the Grammys.
Speaker 3: And he came out, yes, briefly.
Speaker 2: It was bizarre because he came out briefly on stage, kind of nodded his head, looked at the crowd, and then disappeared back in the curtain.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: It was weird. Didn't he live up in Plasherville or something? We heard from somebody in his band. It was I don't know if it was him or somebody in the band once years ago.
Speaker 3: I mean he didn't sing or anything. Then say it was strange.
Speaker 1: He's like like this, Yeah, walked back.
Speaker 3: Out too bad?
Speaker 1: Funky though fun One more music note that we've also discussed a lot which I find interesting. I would love if you could take various became wealthy people's careers, put him in the modern era where you can't make money off of having a hit song. Oh yeah, you make nothing off of have a hit song, and see where they would be. And one example is currently dating Elizabeth Hurley Billy ray Cyrus. She just had her sixtieth birthday. Put out some noodie pics with with Billy Ray Cyrus and they're together and now at the same age, and she still looks fantastic. Of course, how could you tell with modern ability to change pictures. But Billy Ray Cyrus achy Breaky Heart, you do that now? Congratulations, everybody heard your song for six months. You made no money whatsoever. Depends on how hard you work, wanting to travel around the country playing that song every single night. And he and because, oh the reason I thought of this because Elizabeth Hurley was visiting him on his nine hundred acre ranch in Tennessee with his thirty thousand square foot house and all this different sort of stuff. Oh and because he got so wealthy. And now I don't know if you'd been able to quit your job with having a Achey Breaky Heart as a hit.
Speaker 3: Yeah you could if you invested reasonably well, if you had like one multi million seller, sure you could live off that the rest of your day. Yeah, absolutely, yep, good made your whole life well. And I've talked about this and I'm not going to name any names. If you're a detective, you could probably figure it out hartly because this band would just despise my politics. But I got to know one member in particular of a nationally known band pretty well. And this person who's an incredible musician, gives for a long time, gave lessons to kids when they weren't on tour, because you're just being in a big, famous band. Unless you are a huge, crazy famous band, it's a modest living.
Speaker 1: Sure. So I think Billy Ray Cyrus has the same size hit now and you find out while he's fictioning your air conditioner, Oh you're the guy who had ache, you break your heart, I'll be done. Yeah yeah, And then I got into air conditioner repair and now check in.
Speaker 3: With Little Nazax in fifteen years front.
Speaker 1: Yeah, perfect example, perfect example.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I guess that's it.