Speaker 1: Natively and pod is a production of iHeart Radio in partnership with Recent Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 1: Welcome, Hey bam, You're about to hear a replay of one of our interviews from our live stream at the Democratic National Convention.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: If you want to listen to or watch the full stream, be sure to check out links in the episode description. You can also find a full list of all the guests we've interviewed.
Speaker 3: Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 4: And right now we're walking at Congressman Jamal Bowman.
Speaker 3: Of New York.
Speaker 5: You got to stop doing. You gotta stop doing before you put your shirt on. Then he got that, got that medium.
Speaker 4: He's literally join.
Speaker 2: Congressman.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, congress Yeah, we are so happy to have you with me at your.
Speaker 3: Congressman, as long as you in the House of.
Speaker 6: Congressman until he runs per Senate.
Speaker 2: A lot of.
Speaker 1: People, I do want to just say, Congress thank you. I know you're busy, and thank you for joining us. I do just want to say, a lot of people don't know a lot about your background, but you are a PhD. You have worked in education, you are married to an educator, and uh you know, sadly you lost your congressional bid. We talked about it on our show, but your background kind of got lost in that narrative. So I'm curious because you know, we're here at another historic Democratic national convention. There are protests out that were connected to a lot of the issues, why some arguably why you may have lost your district. What would you like to say to the Native Land Pod audience today?
Speaker 7: First of all, piece and love to you all. Really good to be here with you. I think this is the first time Angela has interviewed me on any platform. So great to be with Angela Baccari brother, Andrew, you and I go way back.
Speaker 2: Well, good to be with you all.
Speaker 7: And yes, education for twenty years before running for Congress, teacher guidance counselor middle school principal for ten years now, the PhD ed d in education leadership, especially education circles.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I ran because of my kids.
Speaker 7: I governed for the kids and families who have been marginalized and least loss and left behind. It was a great time in Congress. The work will continue for the rest of my life. We're all gonna fight for justice no matter what. And uh, Yeah, regarding the protests, you know, we're gonna continue to screen free Palestine. We're going to continue to talk about a foreign policy that's rooted in diplomacy and peace and self determination for all people no matter what. And uh, the work continues from the Bronx to Mount Vernon to you know, Gaza. We're gonna keep doing the work.
Speaker 5: We ask you for the personal question because one of the things that Andrew had to go through, I guess what year was that? Andrew eighteen year races twenty eighteen. In twenty eighteen, he went through yesterday in twenty fourteen, I had to go through it. I ran for lieutenant governor, gave up my state house seed. Andrew gave up his mayoral seed, and ran and wasn't successful. We tried to trip away at the glass and now you're in this same phase. It kind of feels like you're in the wilderness for a minute because you've you've been attached to something for so long. But tell people who have not been there, you know, because a lot of times they see politicians win or lose, and they don't really know what it feels like to go through that when you're not on that high of winning, and what are you doing to help figure out what the next step is and how are you getting there? What's up, brother Ford, to determine, to determine what's next for you, that's a great question.
Speaker 7: First and foremost, rest, pray, meditate, spend time with my family. First and foremost. That's what I did for the first few weeks after the races are exhausting, as we all knowing, yes, exhausting, So just resting and spend time with my.
Speaker 6: Family when they spend time calling you something you're not well.
Speaker 7: More money spent against me than any congressional race in history, and so the ads were constant, the mailers were constant to tell it was really really crazy. So first and foremost rests. Secondly, quite honestly, I feel a sense of liberation after this loss, because it's not really you know, every loss is a learning experience, and I learned a lot in Congress for four years. I still have deep, great relationships in Congress. I'm going to continue to have those relationships. But you can have impact and do good work outside of Congress and in Congress sometimes, you know, I'm a little rough around the edges, so I would get myself in trouble every now and then in Congress. Now I feel like, Okay, I'm a private citizen who's still going to do everything I can to serve the people of my district or around the country and around the world.
Speaker 3: Can I ask you?
Speaker 4: Speaking of around the world, one of the things that Congressman Timeson just talked about when he was on is that in his district, the issue of Israel Palestine is like a number twenty because folks are just fifteen again, fifteen twenty out of fifteen. Okay, all right, So but my point is that he was saying that they are just on kitchen table issues and survival themselves.
Speaker 3: What do you say to folks who have taken this on as issue.
Speaker 4: Number one, right, and the folks who are seeing this huge gap of it being number twenty out of fifteen, how do we close that gap? Because there is so many similarities between these causes of oppression and fighting against it for liberation.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think it speaks to the diversity of our country and the diversity of our district. Like, depending where you are, it may not even be on the radar. At the same time, in my district it was very heavily on the radar, particularly on the other side in terms of when you look at the majority of Americans, the majority of American support a permanent ceasefire, but most some people, most people in my districtill vote against me, do not support that, And so it was a top issue my district for the kitchen table issue people in my district. The conversation around why are we saying spending four billion dollars a year to support the killing of women and children and civilians in Gaza when I'm struggling to pay my rent, I'm struggling to pay my mortgage, I'm struggling for childcare, I'm struggling to pay my utilities, I'm struggling to afford my day to day existence, and we're spending billions overseas to support war. So that's one way to bridge the gap. Secondly, and you know, we could debate this in different settings. Many people see our support of the state of Israel and the way Benjamin and Yahoo particular is behaving as supporting white supremacy, and that white supremacy is oppressive to black and brown people here all the time, whether you look at a Project twenty twenty five or even some of the Democrats policies historically tough on crime policies. White supremacy impacts us all impacts us in the justice system or injustice system, and the healthcare system, the education system, and housing, and it impacts us in our foreign policy. So those are a couple of ways we bridge a gap in our district.
Speaker 3: I love that through line.
Speaker 1: I think that makes so much sense, given though that there are you know, a significant amount of young people, especially who are protesting and pleading with Vice President Kamala Harris, our president elect. I speak it into existence so to be president, yes, absolutely, given that there are people though, who are frustrated by the current administration's policy, President Biden, on President Biden's watch, the amount of fiscal support that has been given to Israel, What would you say to those young people, which I think is what Angela was alluding to, for those people who are making it their central issue, what is your piece of advice? Because it's not going to be better under a president.
Speaker 2: Donald Trump, No, it's not.
Speaker 1: How can they continue to be heard, I guess by pressure, but also support this president because on Lea, yeah, it's starting to feel like you know, sometimes on the Palacinian side, Oh, black people are supporting white Supremacy's like time out.
Speaker 3: Don't let the old pressor know our community.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's that's that's one of the insidious aspects of white supremacy.
Speaker 2: It's constant divide and conquer.
Speaker 7: It's very challenging because I've met Palestinians who have lost twenty thirty, forty fifty members of their family right in Gaza because they all live together. So you bomb a building, you're killing generations of people. So it's going to remain a top issue for the Palastinian community. It's going to remain a top issue by extension, for the Muslim community, and for the Arab community, and for Middle Eastern communities, and so continue to speak up in protest as what our country is founded upon. But you also got to understand that when we talk about the fight against white supremacy, black people have always been.
Speaker 2: At the forefront of that fight will continue. Look at this, brother, here can you come up to.
Speaker 8: Don't hate it? You ain't got this much flavor.
Speaker 3: Flavor of the week.
Speaker 4: I just want to tell you, and for all of our listeners, you guys, Tiffany knows. Tiffany's always telling me I need to calm down. I always ready to have a meltdown. I was literally about to be in tears.
Speaker 3: Tiff is action orientated. Shut us. Tiff, with her.
Speaker 4: Ability to just think and problem solve, went over to Roland and was like, ro we got this problem with our cameras, can you hook us up? Roland's like, say less, he let us borrow some equipment so we can have this live stream today.
Speaker 2: Y'all.
Speaker 4: We don't know what was going on.
Speaker 9: With our I'll let you boy five thousand dollars fly pack that we had built.
Speaker 4: Let him have his moment, the letting, you know. But we're very very grateful. It would not have happened without you. I know, our listeners and our viewers are very grateful. So we thank God for you, rolling and full. And I'll say a kuamba from all the people who are watching.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you got that right, okay, but but I'm a than version. You got that right always. But I'm gonna think our Blackstar network of folks who give our show, because that's how we were able to buy two of those we brought to we only using one, so they made that possible.
Speaker 2: For you.
Speaker 9: So if anybody out there listening and y'all want to give some money, go to our cash app Dallas sign r m unfiltered PayPal or Martin unfiltered vemo is are m unfiltered and zail rolling at rolling dot Com.
Speaker 3: Can I just say, though this became a rolling Martin.
Speaker 10: They still and can first before no interview place failing.
Speaker 1: Bro, I just want while we have you, though, I do want to seriously thank you because you know you, you and I as a journalist, how how important it is to not only have black faces, but black voices and the Black Star Network you carry things that are not carried. You know, Vice President Kamala Harris held a rally three million people watched online and the major networks did not carry her. There are so many things that.
Speaker 3: Happened, every single one. Yes, but even.
Speaker 1: Yes, your work in HBCUs, your endless love for Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Incorporated. Tell your frat brothers stop breaking my heart.
Speaker 3: He's supposed to be honest.
Speaker 1: You will see you Wednesday, Governor will see you Wednesday. But Bro, I just want to thank you for that word, because you are integral to the community.
Speaker 3: And so if you don't watch Black Star Networks.
Speaker 9: Please I tell you blackout coverages being any time somebody black come on the stage, I'm like, okay, you about to stop talking back to the stage.
Speaker 5: So speaking of speaking of which, Kamala Harris on stage right now.
Speaker 3: No, she's not right now, you will see the mayor of Chicago.
Speaker 8: No, she is on stage.
Speaker 3: She's on stage. You're seeing different.
Speaker 4: Yours is probably delayed.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because you're watching it on Blackstar Network over here.
Speaker 8: Well, Car is not Car is a hater, but he's he's also not technically savvy.
Speaker 9: Not because there's a there's a live feed here the nine is center and if you're streaming it, there's a delay.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's somebody who's too has a flip phone.
Speaker 3: Yes, he said he got boost mobile.
Speaker 9: Yeah, all you can text the car is okay.
Speaker 11: I'm just making you please. Conversation subterranean over here.
Speaker 1: Well, if if you are tuning into US, I do want to say Roland is right. Vice President Kamala Harris is taking the stage right now. It looks like she seems to be welcoming people to the convention. It looks like she may have just shouted out the second Gentleman soon to be the first Gentleman, Doug M.
Speaker 3: Hoffcamera's pan to him. Uh, this is not her keynote.
Speaker 1: Speech, which we will hear of course Thursday, and please tune in a Native Land Pod live. We will be live on Thursday right before she speaks, so we'll be talking about all the primetime speakers. But yes, she is speaking right now, and tune in tomorrow because we will talk about some of her remarks.
Speaker 6: And isn't typical, uh, Tiffany, for the for the presidential to be here this early? But I think I think this is partly to her work in partnership with Joe Biden, President Joe Biden.
Speaker 1: Her unique position as his vice president, but who he's passing the towards you, but also as the soon to be nominee officially the nominee for the Democratic national conventions.
Speaker 9: And let me say what you talk about, and I won't say ego less, but to be a sitting president come on and to say I'll speak on Monday and I'm gonna fly to Keller for an hour and you have the convention. Uh that Listen, we know president's got egos huge. He could have said, Yo, I'm speaking on Wednesday. No, he said I'll do Monday and then you have the way that's that's huge.
Speaker 4: Well, it was.
Speaker 6: Huge, Broland. I think you'd agree for the man to be the most powerful leader of the free world so far as we know it, and believe he could run and win, and to step back and say I don't want that fight. Our country doesn't need that fight right now, I said earlier, and I hope it'll be true this evening. The man out of get so much of an ovation this evening that oh yeah, there's not time for his remarks because our appreciation runs that deep for the sacrifice that he's made, not just at this moment but over the arc of his uh uh political career. Jamm curious if you have reflections on on on on the.
Speaker 2: I believe.
Speaker 9: I'm going to the floor, y'all got Omega coming up. That that's a big step down from Alpha.
Speaker 3: I appreciate appreciation.
Speaker 9: And Chris Chris Barry at I heeart, I'm gonna se you the in bush.
Speaker 4: Yes, that actually is warranted, Jamal, before you chime in here, I know this is something that's.
Speaker 2: Start to get you down.
Speaker 3: Stop it, shut up.
Speaker 4: That's near and dear to your heart, and that is the theme of this convention today is for the people. We know, of course, that was Kamala Harris's campaign slogan going into twenty twenty, but it's for the people for our future is a full campaign theme. So I just wanted to talk about that just briefly because we're seeing a lot of labor leaders, civil rights leaders who are coming up today. They're showing that huge tent that this party is supposed to to be. And again we know that there's still protests on the outside, but even those voices, the dissension is welcome.
Speaker 2: It's all welcome.
Speaker 7: And if we are for the people, we have to be for all the people, and we have.
Speaker 2: To be for equity, and we have to be for justice in all its forms.
Speaker 7: And for me to me, that means we have to be for universal childcare, universal pre K, paid leave for all. Finally, we're one of the only developed nations that does not have paid leave. We have to make sure we're investing in education, education, education, education, and can we please raise the damn federal minimum age? How about that year seven twenty five and hour was still And just to piggyback on that and talk a little bit about President Biden. So my first two years in Congress. We had control of the House and the Senate, and I felt like we was rocking and rolling.
Speaker 11: Man.
Speaker 2: We was getting things done.
Speaker 7: The American Rescue Plan, the Chips and Science Act, the Inflation Reduction Act, the Safer Communities Act, the bipartis and Infrastructure Bill. We were getting things done and it was incredible, active, and incredibly inspiring.
Speaker 2: Two years later, Republicans come in take control.
Speaker 7: And we literally stop, stop doing the people's work. And so when we talk about contrasts, to me, there's no conversation. Republicans want to shut down the federal government. They want to end the Department of Education, they want to defund Health and Human Services human services. Democrats were governing for the people. We just have to continue that. And when President Kamala gets in, we have to support her on it. Outside by holding members of Congress, the House is centate accountable to push a very aggressive agenda forward because we need transformation right now.
Speaker 11: We do.
Speaker 3: Hey, y'all, thanks for listening.
Speaker 4: Remember to rate, review, subscribe, and tune into our regular episode that drops every single Thursday, Welcome Home, y'all.
Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is the production of iHeartRadio and partnership with recent choice media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.