Speaker 1: Where are you in my living room?
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 3: I'm just hanging out, kind of looking at the lights. Been a hope for a little bit, watching the show. Girlfriend just went to sleep, so I've just been chilling.
Speaker 2: How can I get you today? Is there anything in particularly called in to talk about?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 3: Well, I got bit today, and honestly, like stuff like this is a normal occurrence. I just don't really know how to deal with it anymore. Kind of over it, and I kind of feel bad because I think it's my responsibility not to be over it. So I'm just conflicted.
Speaker 2: So it says here that you are a bit today by a human child, and that you work with children that have behavioral issues. Is that accurate?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's very accurate.
Speaker 2: It tough job, tough it is, So tell me this. I'm sure you knew before you got into it that it would be a tough job, and yet you chose to get into it anyway. Why did you make that decision?
Speaker 3: Well, I you know, I love the community I grew up in. I've loved sports in general, and so I started coaching, you know, local basketball teams as a side hobby, and I realized there's something I really love to do. So I tried to get back into my you know, hometown system where I can start coaching and you know, just being a part of something again. And it's just been something that has brought me like a lot of joy and purpose in my life. But I'm not like somebody that has a typical degree, So being in the school systems just hard in general. So I kind of have to get in where I can fit in. And being in one of these roles as like a helper for you know, these kids with special needs, you know, is a great way to get into these districts, but it just kind of sucks in general, just because you're more or less just viewed as not you know, super important or a super integral to anything that.
Speaker 2: Really you feel as though this job working with special needs kids, you feel as though it is it is not a respectable or not respectable, but not a respected around the community.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, like and it's not something I guess I necessarily knew what before I got the job. After getting the job, and just like through social media and stuff, I see like, yeah, this is definitely something where other people have these same issues where they you know, are stressed out about what's going on, and they do with too much at work for you know, to be honest, not enough pay. It's just it's just tough. So I feel like I'm in this box where I did actually end up being getting into a situation where I'm able to coach. So I am coaching now and I'm loving it. But my day to day is just so awful, and you know, getting bit and punched and slapped and kicked and cussed out by children you know who I know, you know can't necessarily control it, so it's not their fault.
Speaker 1: I just need it.
Speaker 3: It's just a weird anger. Not anger, but it's just a weird emotion to have because you're not really sure who to direct your frustrations at.
Speaker 2: So I wanted just the thing you said at the beginning where you were like, you feel as though part of the job is dealing with I forget exactly what you said, but you said something where that that indicated that you were feeling guilty about this feeling you have of of it being too much, and of not wanting to do it anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because honestly, like you build these relationships with these kids, and you know, if I'm not even if I'm not a full on teacher. Like these kids come to school every day and they, you know, look forward to seeing me, and I look forward to seeing them and having our little interactions. But at the end of the day, I'm not able to pay my bills. I'm not able to do, you know, extra things for my girlfriend who deserves it, who's supposed to hell out of me, you know. And so it's just like it's a really conflicting place to be in. So now I'm like, like, I need to get out and get something better. That way I can get to the next stage in life. But at the same time, I know they're not going to hire somebody that maybe cares as much as I do. And maybe it's because they didn't grow up in the same town as me, you know, and they don't see themselves and these children.
Speaker 1: But I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's one of those tough things where it's like, Okay, if I give up on everybody else's too.
Speaker 2: That's a lot. That's a lot. That's a lot.
Speaker 3: I just don't want to be bit Yeah, I mean that's.
Speaker 2: A reasonable desire to have. Let's can we start there, just that that's a reasonable desire to not want to get a bit. You know, you're I think you're demanding this like superman like energy out of yourself. That it is not realistic off the bat. Yeah, because you're like guilty about the fact that you don't want children to bite you and hit you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But also I get it, I understand what you're saying. You feel as though you feel this responsibility which is noble of you. It's noble of you, And there's many I don't know, man, it's it's this is tough thing, and I don't know either way, because there's a lot of different schools of thought about it. There's a school of thought to nobility, which is that you you kind of take on pain and discomforts and unruliness of these kids and you do it for the noble higher purpose that if you give up on them, do everyone else will. And there's something to that school of thoughts. But there's a lot of other schools of thought that could say, well, you're a human being too, and you need to recognize your own fallibility that yeah, getting kicked and hit sucks, and if you can't do it anymore and you don't have the energy, then it's a disservice. To yourself and possibly even to the kids, for you to be involved in something that you know is just fucking weighing down on you. And I don't know where I'm not gonna say that any of those are the right choice, but maybe that is the point here, Maybe that neither of those is the right choice, you know what I'm saying. So, yeah, whatever you do decide to go with, I would hope that there is I hope that the understanding that neither of those is the quote right choice helps you with the kind of cognitive dissonance of it, you know, as in whichever you choose you can lean into. If you decide that you want to this on as a noble purpose and you want to you know, go at it warrior mode, then all right, we can lean into that, and we can take pride in the fact that that's what we've chosen and that you know, it's not the wrong choice. And if we want to do the other thing and we want to go I need to live my own life and not get fucking, you know, stuff thrown at me all the time, then you know that's not the wrong choice either. Yeah, what do you think about all of that?
Speaker 3: No, it's it's you bring up you know, a lot of other points, even just the stuff weighing down on me. I felt that today, Let's say I coached basketball, so, uh, like I went to practice today after you know, having a tough day at work. I just felt myself being a little bit more heavy on, you know, the the other kids that I work with, and at the end of the day, they are kids like their high schoolers, and so it's just like, Okay, now I'm you know, face face with a lot of emotions, you know there it's like, okay, you know, now you're not you're not being the best you. And I've been having more and more thoughts of like, uh, I only do get one life, so yeah, I have to kind of choose how I live it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the next step.
Speaker 3: It's pretty crucial. I love what I do, Like I wish I could do what I do forever. Honestly, if I was getting paid enough to live on, I could get you know, punched and slapped and kicked by a billion of these kids. Like it doesn't matter to me. But yeah, you know, whenever you have to go home and face you know, other realities, that's just makes it tougher.
Speaker 2: So what state do you live in?
Speaker 1: Can?
Speaker 2: I ask, uh, Kansas, Kansas and they don't. And your high school teacher?
Speaker 3: Uh, so I work in the elementary school and.
Speaker 2: I yeah, I think you said they were high school kids.
Speaker 3: So I coach at the high school level.
Speaker 2: You coach at the high school, Okay, And you don't really get paid to coach that much? You met. Your main job where you can pay it is the elementary school.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, essentially I get a stipend for coaching, but with the hours I have to miss because I'm hourly, and that a normal teacher, I actually end up losing money, you know, driving back and forth and taking hours out of the check to go over and coach. Yeah, but that's that's something I knew I was going to have to do, so that's not as big a deal to me.
Speaker 2: Hey, you bring up a good point when you say that you only have one life, and is this how I really want to live it? I mean, I always think that that's what's a prime way to think about That's a prime framing device upon which to to think about your life. You know that it's crazy, crazy short, Yeah, and you should you know. Yeah, it's tough man, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Tough honestly though, like you know, I've been reading some books that have been you know, interested in Again, I haven't been reading it in a while, you know, for the last couple of years of my life. So I've been kind of just rethinking myself and you know, listening to podcasts. Me and my girlfriend discovered you about a year ago, and it's I mean, stuff you say, man, it changes some of my perspectives. So I got to thank you there and it's helped me to the last couple you know whatever months and just trying to be a better human about it.
Speaker 2: Cool. I'm glad to hear that. I think. Fuck, man, I don't know. You're doing the best you can out here. I feel like that's all you can do, right, I mean, you gave if if anything, if anything, I hope that whatever you choose, listen, listen. First of all, so many people, more people than not, have been like fuck those kids. Why would I ever want to do that? That's like most that's me, by the way, I would never do this. I'd never do this. So for you, well, okay, and I don't say that. I say that. I say that to me. For you to do it is a lot for you to do it for however much time you did it. For you to do it, you literally like to do it until you cannot any longer. Is so much. So whatever you decide to take, you know, pride in that.
Speaker 3: Thank you and I will.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just thank you for talking to me about this. And there's been a lot on my chest. And honestly, it's not something I can talk to my coworkers about because it just gets weird, you know, because now you're talking to your boss about how much you hit your job and just stuff like that. And my girlfriend, like, you know, I don't like bothering her with about it every day because you know, you'd like to keep their positive.
Speaker 2: So well, well, well I want to say that it's it's you mentioned a funny thing just now. Your coworkers, I mean, not necessarily your bosses, but the other coaches, how do they feel about this ship?
Speaker 3: So they don't kind of have different you know life, you know places. Some of them work at the high school level, so they kind of make a salary and they you know, they've been making some money for a while, so they're a little more comfortable online. Another like a couple other ones have other jobs to where they have good money. So I'm the only one that's really still at that first stage of life still and it's due to me making them just like silly choices in my early twenties, which is whatever, Like that's everybody. But I'm just kind of trying to play catch up. But I'm trying to play catch up my way to I don't really want to, you know, if I'm forcing this box where I have to go to the conventional route, I guess I'll have to at the end of the day. But I'm just trying to, you know, do what I can.
Speaker 2: Josh, thanks for all the kind of words and for you know, getting bit by children so that so that I and many others don't have to.
Speaker 3: Hey, lal h, thank you for your kind of words.
Speaker 2: Zid anything else you want to say to the people of the computer before we go.
Speaker 3: No, you know, live your life. Be you. Like I said, you only get one life, so it's true. Uh, do what you can to make sure it is the best one for you.
Speaker 2: Hey, take care Josh, you too. I liked I liked him. I liked him he was nice. I didn't just like him because he was nice to me. Sometimes I like people when they're when they're mean to me, So you know, you can't make me like you just by being nice. I liked him because, well, because he was nice and I felt just I kind of felt him because that's a tough thing with the with the money, and I don't I was gonna say something about how it's a failure of the system, but I'm I don't like talking about social economics stuff because I'm stupid and I have no idea what I'm talking about. But he's really doing the best he can. I could tell he.
Speaker 1: Is.
Speaker 2: I could tell he was like he's down to go the fucking warrior mode of like, I believe in what I'm doing so much that I don't care about getting pissed on by high school kids. But he just can't because they're not paying him enough to to do it, and it's a bummer. But again, I meant what I said when I was like, I wouldn't do this. Most of the people who are stending to this right now wouldn't do it. So the fact that he did it for any amount of time is something to be proud of. And I hope he finds a good balance where he's not fucking killing himself just to serve this cause, but feels as though he's doing a thing that is, like he was saying, worthy of his short amount of time on the earth. I let's take a call. Hell, Hi, who is this?
Speaker 5: This is Chloe?
Speaker 2: Hi? Chloe has gone going good?
Speaker 5: How about you?
Speaker 2: I am, I'm feeling pretty good. Actually, I'm I'm I'm I'm on a I'm on a spiritual journey, Chloe. I'm trying to protect my peace more. I'm trying to work as a little as I possibly can, take more deep breaths, and I do not eat thirty pieces of candy in one day. It's going all right.
Speaker 5: You know those are good goals. It sounds like you're crafting mindfulness a bit.
Speaker 2: I'm trying. I mean, I get up on this fucking podcast and everyone's asking me about what to do in their lives, and I hope they know that I have absolutely no idea. I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't know what to do with my own hearing advice and my get go.
Speaker 2: What's going on with you, Chloe?
Speaker 5: Oh not much. I'm chilling in bed right now talking to you.
Speaker 2: Why what did what did you do? Today?
Speaker 6: Let's see, I went to the gym, had a crazy sessions and got back and just had to meet myself an.
Speaker 5: I day and I had a therapy session and I just chilled and I watched you and here I am.
Speaker 2: Now, how do you feel right now? Do you feel therapized?
Speaker 5: I feel relaxed, but that's probably because I am good.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, well listen, uh, you did tell the call screen or something and I got you told the call screen or that your mom wishes that you were gay.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she kind of wished that ever since I was in high school.
Speaker 2: What your what your mom? Ever since? Ever since she was in high school, she wished that you were gay, Like, ever since she was in high school, she wish she had a gay daughter.
Speaker 5: No, no, ever since I was in high school. Basically, I think there's a few reasons for it, but I believe in love at first sight, and I only experienced that once in my life. It was when I was in high school, and it was with a girl. Nothing ever came of it, but I think that's when she started really pushing for me to be gay. And I don't know ever since, with any time that I've had a partner, they've all been men. It's like they lose brownie points for not being a woman.
Speaker 2: Man. Your poor mother.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think her part is in the right place. It's just for for me, it's a little bit. It caused me to question things because she hasn't really ever steered me wrong and and parents don't know everything that She's been pretty dan right a lot of the time and interesting. Sometimes I'm like, should.
Speaker 2: I be mm hmm Okay, So your mother has uh, you know, given you advice and direction in life that has been very beneficial to you, and so part of you is wondering if if maybe she's right and you should be gay.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I'm bye h. But I've never really explored her relationship.
Speaker 2: Wait your your your bye. Yeah, that's a really good compromise. She has to admit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, well, I think her argument is that since I've never explored it, that I should.
Speaker 2: Okay, your your mom's your her mom said to you that you should explore sexually with other Like, Okay, Here's what I wanted to ask when you said your mom has pushed you to be gay? What does that actually look like? What does that mean?
Speaker 5: It means that? Okay, So when it started in high school, it was very subtle. It was always like, you know, I'd be okay with it if you want to date a girl, or she would try to elude that my girl friend.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But in adulthood it's been more like, you know, you try to date a woman, don't don't go with that guy. Go need a girl first. When I'm in a relationship, a committed one, she always just kind of hyes, And I just know what she's dying at. I know what she wishes, she wishes, but I was an independent woman living in a wife with a girlfriend, with maybe two cats in a high ride. That's what she wishes.
Speaker 2: Here's what I think. Here's what I think. Obviously, we all know you cannot choose your sexuality. And I think your mom, I think your mom is. I think your mom wishes she was gay.
Speaker 5: You know it could be, but she's married to a man.
Speaker 2: She's been through I think she's had terrible experiences with men. She wishes that she was gay, but and so because but because she can't just be gay, she I guess, wants you to be gay so she can live vicariously through you.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's so strange though, because I have a trans brother and before he was trans. He was dating a girl for school, so it's like she could live vicarious him, but she wants to do it through me.
Speaker 2: Wait, so your brother is trans and I guess before they transitioned they were presenting as female yeah, and dating a woman yes, and then transitioned into a straight man.
Speaker 7: Yes.
Speaker 2: And your poor fucking mother she almost had.
Speaker 5: Her dream almost almost.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a it's a strange family. My mom's students, My brother is Wickan, and my sister is Jewish.
Speaker 2: Your brother is Wickan? What does that mean?
Speaker 5: It's a vein off of paganism. I belief that's sick. Yeah, it's pretty cool anytime that I go to him and his wife, But they do rituals. I'm not like candles. I think there's something to do with gods and goddesses. It's interesting.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm hmm. I So let me ask you this in seriousness. Do you have a good relationship with your mom?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I definitely do. I went to go with her in Wales for three months last year and it helps me so much.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm mm hm.
Speaker 5: Call her pretty much every time you get out of the gyms here, so we're staying connected.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm hm, Well that's good. M Uh, Like, how often is she she is she still like she's she's still unrelentingly trying to push you to be gay. Uh.
Speaker 5: You know, she's definitely backed off in the past six months or so because I have been with someone for two and a half years now and she's kind of gotten to a point of chasey. But it's also she always she does something to ask you know if I ever thought about exploring that side of things, and it just I know I am thinking about it really too long after those conversations with her. Yeah, No, it's uh, but I don't want to sacrifize a great relationship or something like that for exploring something.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Have you told your mom? Uh that it's that it's weird to keep asking you if you're gay.
Speaker 5: I I guess it felt normal because she been doing it for so long that I never thought to tell her that.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean, does it bother you?
Speaker 5: No, it just makes a question. Thanks, It makes a question in my relationship and questions I'm making the right choice or not?
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, what's your name? Club? You seem like a very sweet person and sounds like you have a good life of family that you care about, a partner that you care about. I have no idea what your mom's deal is, but I hope that you you don't let her. I don't know warm into your head about whether or not you are making the right decisions with your life. Because are you happy right now?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, Well you got there based on following your decisions, so I assume that following your own decisions will lead you to further happiness in the future.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 5: I think you're right, but.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't Maybe your mom knows more than me.
Speaker 5: Maybe maybe she has a crystal ball.
Speaker 2: Uh Chloe, is there anything else that you want to say to me or the people of the computer before we go?
Speaker 5: Uh? No, No, it was nice chatting with you.
Speaker 2: It's nice chatting with you too, Chloe. Thank you very much for calling.
Speaker 5: Good night.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 7: Hi is this Loyle?
Speaker 2: Yes? Who is this?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 2: What's your What's what's what's your life like?
Speaker 3: It's good.
Speaker 7: I live in San Francisco. Been working a lot fucking expensive fuck to live here, but still doing it as best I can. I'm gonna see you with my friend Chris see who I turned onto your stream. We just got tickets in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Fuck yeah, man at the Swedish American Hall. I've heard it's a great venue. I'm very excited.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's awesome. I've seen a lot of good shows there.
Speaker 2: So listen, Evan. Is there anything in particular you wanted to talk about today?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Actually, uh, I wanted to thank you for being part of connecting me with my current partner. I dressed as the Therapy Echo for Halloween this past year and met them at the Goth Night, which is fucking hilarious and awesome. They're listening right now, I think too really, but yeah, we're in like separate houses, but yeah, I wanted to shouts them out high.
Speaker 2: Nas, Hello Nas. So your partner, like what do they say to you?
Speaker 7: We had like I think we had matched on like bumble or hinge or something like maybe a week or two before and then like the day of Halloween, we're like, oh yeah, like kind of like what are you doing for Halloween? And it turned out we were both going to the same like party at DNA Lounge. They do like a goth night that like a couple of my friends go to regularly, and they had invited me to go to, and I was nervous about like having a costume or whatever because I haven't dressed up in a long time. But I was just like, well, fuck, if I'm gonna go like and I'm gonna be at a goth night, like, what would be a fun se to couss. So instantly Therapy Get Go was was the jam.
Speaker 2: How much was your costume? Because I bought two today and they were both ninety dollars.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was around that I'm gonna rel.
Speaker 2: You spent ninety for me. I'm like, I'm never gonna for me. I'm like, I'm never gonna regret buying a gecko costume because I need them all the time. But you bought you spent ninety dollars on this fucking costume to wear it one day?
Speaker 1: Fuck?
Speaker 7: Yeah, dude, Well I got to wear it to two parties like over that weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's worth it.
Speaker 1: But uh yeah, I had.
Speaker 7: A question for you actually about uh, like you have a couple of them? You bought two today?
Speaker 2: You said, right, I did, I bought to today?
Speaker 7: What like in terms of maintenance, I had to throw away the feet after like one night out because they were fucking horrifying.
Speaker 2: So so on tour. No, no, I finish your question. Now you finish your question that all hop in.
Speaker 7: Is there any way to like treat them because I kept the hands in the head because I think they're funny and they're like hanging up in my room. But uh, yeah, the feet were destroyed after like one night out like walking around in San Francisco. They're fucking disgusting.
Speaker 2: The feet get totally fucked The reason I have to buy I have. So here's the thing I have. I have. I have infinite amount of heads. I have so many heads, so many torsos, and so many pants, but I'm always low on feet and hands because the feet they get fucked up all the time. So I'll typically I'll have to spend ninety bucks to buy a whole costume just for the feet because I'm I'm always running the long feet because they get fucked up so easily. And I'm about to go on this you know, crazy tour, and so I'm gonna need and you're yes, you're correct. The feet get fucked up anytime you wear them out, So yeah, you gotta.
Speaker 7: Like, honestly, you should reach out to the company that makes them and see if they could do like a bespoke deal for you and be like, hey, like I need x amount of feet, like give me like four hundred.
Speaker 1: Of these bad boys.
Speaker 7: And like a good a good chunk of hands because I feel like, yeah, everything else is pretty durable. Like the suit itself is fine, like even just from like two nights out, and like, honestly, the the club that I was at was like really packed and like I got trampled a bit though, Like that definitely put more wear and tear on it than like either sitting on stage or like talking to somebody like out in the world.
Speaker 2: But who See, here's the thing is, I might I've thought about reaching out to the company that makes them, but I'm scared to negotiate with them because and look, maybe it's not a good idea to say this publicly, but here's the thing that I need them so much more than they need me.
Speaker 7: You have no idea that this is the feel like you're getting to a point that the tables could turn though.
Speaker 2: No, no, Evan, Evan and Evan. If they stop making this Gecko costume, my career is over them. Fucked.
Speaker 7: There's gotta be some There's gotta be some listeners. That have like crazy etsy businesses that would make you some bespoke suits, like I don't know why that isn't a thing already.
Speaker 4: Well, look, i'll tell you what I had to go to the same plate.
Speaker 2: If you ever want to make your ninety dollars, if you ever want to you know, if you ever want to make your ninety dollars back, you know, hang on to that suit and maybe one day I'll buy it off of you.
Speaker 7: It'll be missing feet, which is like the most important part.
Speaker 1: Twenty dollars, it's yours.
Speaker 7: I'll say, I'll bring you. You said you got too many heads, but I'll bring you an extra pair of hands that are only lightly used.
Speaker 1: When I come see you in San Francisco. There might gift.
Speaker 2: Pciate that. I appreciate that. By the way, I want to say something. I appreciate that you said that I helped you meet your partner, But in the story you told I had nothing to do with it. You guys just matched on bumble.
Speaker 7: Well yeah, I mean, but it was their first time, like meeting in person, like the first time we saw each other in real life. Like I was full, like I did the green face paint, I did everything like I tried to go screen accurate. I bought, I brought a microphone.
Speaker 2: So I just made you look a little bit insane. I actually detracted from.
Speaker 1: This not at all.
Speaker 7: I I had a couple of people actually come up, Like I got a lot of people asking if I was like Yoshi or like a frog. But I had quite a few people that recognized me as Therapy get Go and some people that actually thought.
Speaker 1: I was you.
Speaker 2: That's fucking sick. That's amazing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they were all really stoked, Like everyone that knew what it was were like really fucking hyped, Like you got a lot of love in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Damn, that's fucking sick. That's awesome. I'm sure that way more people just thought you were frog, though.
Speaker 7: I did get a couple of frogs, but I think it was also I don't know what the full crossover is, but gos knight is definitely has like a higher capita I think of just out in the world like than out in the world. People who recognized me as Therapy Gecko, which is kind of fun.
Speaker 2: What did your what did your partner address.
Speaker 7: As they were in like latex like bondage gear.
Speaker 2: Well, it sounds like you two had a we got one night.
Speaker 7: We did we like right after we met, like five minutes after a meeting in person, we took like photo booth pictures that are fucking hilarious. I can I can send you on the on Instagram if you want. But yeah, it was I actually tagged you, like.
Speaker 2: When I was walking around you tagged me in them.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I I not in that one. But when I was like walking around like in SF and like getting gacked out by like my friends, they like, I tagged you in a couple of photos of me as there if you get go on Halloween, and you liked them, and I said, thank you.
Speaker 2: Ah, yes I did. I saw a lot of people who are I I like to that night. I went through my like mentions and liked all the photos of people dressed as me. But I didn't see any versions of me that were being uh masochistically choked by someone in other I'll have to go back and look though. We're out there, Evan, is there anything else you want to say to the people of the computer. I appreciate your homage.
Speaker 7: No, man, honestly, I'm just really so talk to you. It's called in a couple of times I've gotten through to your call screeners who were super nice, like it was great to hear them on the stream. This has been a great stream tonight, Like I caught most of it. I started listening when I was at work and it got me through to getting home. I'll say that the survivor of the Weeni War.
Speaker 2: I'll say this. I want to say this, fucking oh, if you have one more usage of the gecko costume, wear it to the show?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 7: My friends who got us the tickets was asking and they were just like, should we should we go all as geckos? And I was like, that's kind of crazy, but like people.
Speaker 2: Have people people have done that before. Where if you and no one listening to this, if you're coming to the live show and you have a gecko guys, wear it to the show, please show your dedications. So I'm going to start my cults. Thank you for calling, Evan. I appreciate it, man, of course, I have a great night.
Speaker 1: Gek you doo? Hello? Oh Geka?
Speaker 2: Who is this?
Speaker 1: Hey? Hi, this is Alexander. You Mike you might know be as lex though. What's going on?
Speaker 4: Alexander?
Speaker 2: Oh? Ship?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: It says here that it says here, Alex from Chicago went to high school with you. We didn't go to high school together, but we we.
Speaker 1: No no, no, no, no no. Your call screener got that incorrect.
Speaker 4: Let me, well, I know what, I went high school with met you through hence we almost made that Watermelon time travel movie together.
Speaker 1: But that's a whole other thing.
Speaker 2: Yes, one of my one of my best friends of all time went to a high school in Baltimore where and you went to that high school?
Speaker 1: And we yes, very good man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how are you doing?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: Has it been?
Speaker 1: Yeah? It's kind of fucking a roller coaster.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: I'm actually doing pretty decent right now. I'm actually life updates. I do kind of want to get to the story I gotta tell you about Life Updates is I'm currently in an outpatient rehab program. I'm currently working for my best entrants on sobriety's sake, which I've been I don't know, off a couple of times over the years, but this is kind of the most serious I've taken it in the darker news of things going on in my life. But mentally I'm doing pretty great and kind of like a upswing, but not as bad as it could be. I'm just people don't know too. I'm talking to you, like, do you know me. I'm a bipolar one diagnosed.
Speaker 1: I do do real therapy and all that.
Speaker 4: Not to undermine you get but I do do all the me.
Speaker 2: I am not a real therapist, dude.
Speaker 4: I've been getting like as much help from you at this point as my real therapist I used to have.
Speaker 1: I've filmed your.
Speaker 4: Show, not for like I've seen you put us some clips like back in the day.
Speaker 1: If you're doing this, uh, get up.
Speaker 4: But I was working at Concierge Downtown at a place called Block thirty seven in Chicago, and I was just bored as shit, like on this computer for like eight hour shifts and I just fuck around like on Reddit sometimes and I open read it one day and You're just like the top of the fucking page and I'm like, I know that.
Speaker 1: Get go. That's fucking lyle no way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've been watching longtime watchers since like COVID times or beginning of COVID times, and yeah, like third time caller finally getting through.
Speaker 2: That's fucking awesome, man, that's cool. I remember I remember when we were in high school. I was really excited to meet you because you were another guy who I was. I you know, I made movies in high school, and I made movies with my friends. But I think my friends at the time, like they they they loved helping out with the movies, but I don't think any of them like wanted to like like on their own, like pursue being a a filmmaker or anything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, on the fucking money with your like as far as sketch comedy goes next to like whitest Kids and like what a couple of my face, like you know, Jordan Peele and fucking like Chappelle show and shit, as far as like independent stuff that I was coming from, like my hometown, Like the gifts that you all were doing were like my favorite things, especially.
Speaker 1: Like the end of high school.
Speaker 2: Man, well thanks, man, I was gonna say I was. I was excited to meet you at the time because you were another guy who wanted to make who wanted to make films, and I feel like I had a lot of dudes like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, no, totally, I was pursuing it semi seriously at the time. I've done a bunch of like weird kind of crazy.
Speaker 1: Shit in middle school. It's a movie called like None with a Gun and.
Speaker 4: Some horror movie called Silent but Deadly, and a whole bunch of like goofy shit that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. People were like pretty.
Speaker 4: Impressed that a fucking kid could do, even though I felt like I was just fucking around. So I decided to go to that magnet Art high school for it. And that's when I became pretentious and thought like, oh, I could consume at cooperg and like all this shit, but you know, Garden some like decent work. But I don't know, I look back at who I was in like high school, and even though I.
Speaker 1: Did a bunch of fun ship, I definitely looked back at like who I wasn't an artist back then.
Speaker 4: Is just like damn, I can't believe I was so high on myself because you know, I was just a kid, like.
Speaker 1: I was doing cool things. But if you had asked me, I would have been like, I'm the greatest.
Speaker 4: But I don't know, that's a bipolars mentality whatever.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean I I was too in high school. I went my I think you know, my friends and I we thought we were like the funniest guys, and you know.
Speaker 4: That I would confirm that too, though not to kiss your ass, but I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Or but it's not well, it's funny because the whole idea of, like I guess, with art and making things in general, there's a there's a there's a line you have to walk, right, because I think to make good stuff you have to you have to really believe in yourself and really believe that what you're doing is good enough to exist for like just to propel you to make it. But then also not line of like you know, being you know, getting getting too high on yourself.
Speaker 4: Yes, absolutely true, But that was the thing, like I had bought into all the you know, there's every celebrity in their mother has a video out there that's like believe in you and the.
Speaker 1: Rest will follow type shit. And I saw all of those when I was like a kid. So by the time that I did.
Speaker 4: Get to, like, you know, the point where I was making work where I was like recognized at least by the state for it, I was like, oh, fuck it, the world is my oyster. I gotta believe that I'm the best there is.
Speaker 1: Or ytta YadA.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I don't know, I came out to Chicago, and then I realized a lot more like leaving hometown, that it's really not all about you, which is like obviously a big thing for life, but I mean it's not.
Speaker 1: And you go out to a place that you're.
Speaker 4: Unfamiliar with, you kind of like accept the fact that you are a tourist in another place. You're not like settled with this hometown that you fuck around with for eighteen years, like I was in Baltimore, and you kind of realize the things are a lot bigger than you. And I've been like very i think selflessly pursuing that for the last step in years. But to kind of seguey to my story, and then I'm like at a crossroads. I'm probably in June, gonna head back to Baltimore at least temporarily, and then continue on with the next place.
Speaker 1: I think Chicago's wraps, So why why.
Speaker 2: Are you at a crossroads?
Speaker 4: Are?
Speaker 2: What are the two roads? I want is coming back to Baltimore and what's the other one?
Speaker 4: The other one is just kind of like I don't know. I've been a part of this band for like seven years, and I'm like, I don't know, it's someone else's band, but I definitely am like as far as like you ever seen Social Network, you know that movie, the Facebook movie?
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course.
Speaker 1: If there's an Edward.
Speaker 4: Saverign like character in this is this band, then I'm definitely the one that's like, sorry, my fuck you flip flopster at the what's it called? Like, I got some sort of like to being here because I've been around so long, but I don't care. It's those other kids fucking bad. I've just been a part of it since.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so you're you're getting you're getting sucked out of your.
Speaker 1: Band a sort of I'm sucking myself in a way.
Speaker 4: That's why I can't sucking myself, but I get sucked a little bit.
Speaker 1: It's more dramatic than the fucking I don't know that that the Zuckerberg guy though, I don't think he ever got shot at And that's kind of the thing.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 1: Chicago is a very violent place. I don't know, it's been dealing with it for a while, but it just kind of.
Speaker 2: So, your your bandmate tried to shoot you.
Speaker 1: Let me clarify for the record's sake, because one we're keeping gro anonymous. We can look back.
Speaker 4: At this later as a haha ha, very funny. But this is a thing that happened kind of an ongoing thing that I'm still going to be like, all right, I'll describe in detail, but only vaguely.
Speaker 1: All So, let's just do the day.
Speaker 4: Of this thing happening, because I will say yes, but let me explain the day that this happened. I was about a couple of weeks deep into coming off my last job, so I was kind of in this place where it's like, you know, what's the bullshit that I need?
Speaker 1: What do I don't need? What can I sell? What I make money off of?
Speaker 4: Just so I got some groundwork that I can move on top of. Besides that, just trying to make money independently for a second. So one of the things that I had was this weed pen that it was like one hundred twenty dollars. I used to work with head shop called the Other Side in the House, and I gotta look like one hundred twenty dollars there. It's a nice little like pen battery, and somebody offered to buy it for me for like sixty dollars, So I'm like, fucking cool.
Speaker 1: I could totally use six dollars right now.
Speaker 4: I don't even smoke weed like that, so well, I don't smoke pens like that, so I can totally sell this thing.
Speaker 1: It's fine.
Speaker 4: But the problem was my roommate was using it at the time, and it was like eight o'clock and I like eight in the morning, and I had to leave and he was asleep, and I was just like, oh, fuck it. Oh two very important point of the story too. It's not just one roommate. It's well, we're talking about the one guy, but he.
Speaker 1: Is a girlfriend too, who's also another roomate. So it's a whole cup of situation.
Speaker 4: So I go and I knock in this couple's door and I'm like, yo, I'm sorry, but I got to get that pen back because I got to sell it. And I just hear like oh, And so I'm doing my thing, get my things together for like twenty minutes or so. I go back and nobody's there at the door, so knock again. I'm like, yo, I got to head out, and they're like, just let us sleep, and I'm like, yo, fucking I didn't say, like why, but I'm like I really need this now, please let me go and they didn't. They didn't open the door, and they didn't give me the thing, and I was like, fuck it, I gotta go.
Speaker 1: So I did.
Speaker 4: I left, and I didn't make the sixty dollars. I made a little bit more money, but I didn't make as much as I could have. So I go back home and I'm fucking pissed, and no kids are up at this point, and I'm just like, basically just like, don't talk to me, like you all kind of ruined that for the day. You've lost me money today, and y'all. I'm already kind of on bullshit with y'all because Rent and a whole bunch of other dumb ships who just don't talk to me today.
Speaker 1: Just give it a day.
Speaker 4: Maybe we can talk about it later, but today, just don't. Like thirty minutes go by and I hear motherfuckers like Snake saying something in their room, like.
Speaker 1: Thoughting each other. This is what they do too. There's a couple things like they definitely group together when they're like, all right, we're in trouble.
Speaker 2: You're you're living in that. I'm I'm sorry if I'm a bad listener for this, but so you're you're living in the house with with with this this guy and his girlfriends.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm yeah, and enough kids in there too, but he wasn't a home and.
Speaker 2: Then and then so there's some tensions going on with this this this vate pen that they didn't give you, and now they're kind of conniving in one corner and things are boiling up. And how did this escalate to the point where you know, by the way, just I just wanted to let you know, man, if you if you feel like you shouldn't tell this story for whatever legal reasons, it's you.
Speaker 4: If there's a platform that I can tell it on, it's definitely the Get Show.
Speaker 1: I just feel like this is definitely gonna be all right.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to give you that a second to think about it, but go ahead.
Speaker 4: No, definitely, I think that I can't tell the story. This has happened like two weeks or two or three weeks ago.
Speaker 1: Now I definitely thought about it clear enough to.
Speaker 2: Think just okay, So so just so, so tell me if we could like go to the because I want to hear more about about you and I want to make sure we have enough time to you know, get what can you can we where how did it escalate?
Speaker 7: All right?
Speaker 4: So basically, like after they group together, the girlfriend comes out to me and she has this like wheetend it's like an ozone pen.
Speaker 1: Anybody smokes wheet tens know this like little gray disposable pen.
Speaker 4: And she's like, I found this is mine and I found it the other day in your room completely empty. What do you have to say on some shit like that? And just like a million things went through my mom but the very first thing that went through my mind was, holy shit, you went my fucking room. Like I keep my door lock. You went inside of my room like I understood, Like I understood too, Like okay, you're finding a thing that is like you think it's yours. I get in my moavies, but you went in my room. That's like just where I drew the line. And I was like, you went my fucking room.
Speaker 1: No way. So basically, long story short, me and her are well. First of all, let me explain.
Speaker 4: I also told her too, before she even came to me about this, I was like, I fucking told you. I can't don't feel like I can talk about this to day. I really late that as Bessa could. I'm like, are you sure you want to talk about this, and she still did. So we're arguing about this fucking pen for no reason, and I don't know she's going down the hall She goes down the hallway. I'm on the my side of the hallway, so kind of a distance between each other. But at the end of the argument, I realized that she was just talking in circles.
Speaker 1: I was just like, whatever, So I fucking tossed the pen at her feet.
Speaker 4: I basically tossed it back down the hallway and tossed it at her feet, basically in my head, being like the same way that I throw a fucking dog a bone, because the fucking word went through my head. There's a fucking appropriate to it that I don't like. Can't be one of my fucking room. Oh my god, But yeah, I fucking threw this.
Speaker 2: And then she goes, so, how did how did how did a gun get involved?
Speaker 4: That's what we're getting to the good, juicy stuff in the next five seconds.
Speaker 1: So I throw the fan at her feet.
Speaker 4: She goes, did you just throw a fucking pen at me? Her boyfriend's not in the room, but that's enough for him to hear that and then come out.
Speaker 1: Ah way did you just throw a pen of me? So he comes out, he's running walking towards me.
Speaker 4: No one keeps seven years, but I just see this looking at other I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, this guy's gonna beat the ship out of me.
Speaker 4: And I'm just like, well, you know what, he's talking about it so much for seven years, I'm just gonna win him have it, because honestly I'm interested.
Speaker 1: I want to see how hard this he can hit.
Speaker 4: So he comes up to me, He doesn't exactly what I think, well a little bit more.
Speaker 1: He picks me up. He slams me on his.
Speaker 4: Music setup, which I'm too just like my pianos in the corner. You could have broken my piano, but you slam me on your music setup.
Speaker 1: What the fuck?
Speaker 4: And then I'm on his music setup just blow blow, blow, like in the face, over and over and over again. And he kind of stops, and I'm just like again because I'm like still talking, I really still talking, like again wow wow again bow, And I'm just trying to lean into it, but he's not fucking leaning into the point where I'm like, dude, who can beat up like so much worse than this, Like it's so so boring if this is really what you've been threatening me with the whole time. And so this happens, and it gets to the point too where he's like finally refuses to like beat the shit out of me because I just keep saying again like a fucking crazy person, like I don't know someone wh's saying fight club too many times, but fucking man, I just he finally stops. He's like, this dude must be crazy. He just keeps wanting me to punch him, and then he starts, and then I go start going off like.
Speaker 1: Oh you hit Michael, bitch, you got no just.
Speaker 4: Going off in this fucking kid for like no reason. I won't shut the fuck up because, like I said to Bipolar, when provoked, man I will fucking like go off, especially person to say, but I just wouldn't.
Speaker 1: Shut the fuck up.
Speaker 4: And the other point he was like he shut his door behind him in his room, door was shut. I was still talking shit and he comes out one off on the floor and that just shut everybody up. And then it was just like I don't know, I didn't flinch nothing, like I just had experience in Baltimore.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna go XIX.
Speaker 2: Let me let me, let me, let me cut off, let me, let me let me Okay, so you had this this pretty wild roommate encounter that you know, I did. You were you were egging on a little bit, and you were also dealing with your own mental health problems at the same time, and it just sounds like a crazy fucking mess. So just like I guess kind of, you know, I want to make sure we get to this before we go like you're so you're doing better now. I want to know the arc because you getting beaten up on your roommate's music studio and asking him to keep hitting you does sound like a low points and so I'm happy to hear that. As we're talking in current day, you you you're feeling better, and you're you're feeling at a at a higher point than then, and I don't want to know.
Speaker 1: And also checked out and you know, not to undermine you again, but actual like therapists and psychiatrists and like doctors and stuff, they're like, you're getting and I had to check too. I was like, man, how crazy am I? Everybody's I took a couple of weeks. Everybody says that I'm chilling. So I'm here talking to gek.
Speaker 2: Now, Okay, so how do you how do you feel like you got there?
Speaker 4: Well, to the point in the well, it's back up a month. This motherfucker gets a gun in general, and I guess it's a couple of months ago, but it was to one point where you know, we lived together, we've lived to get me and this person lived together for basically like seven years. It's to the point with this place where it's just like the rent is just so like on time.
Speaker 2: All hold on, I guess let me stop going quick. I'm talking about you and your personal journey because again, it felt it seems as though when you were in that encounter, you were yelling and you were you feel like you sounds like you were not in a good place. And as we're talking now, you feel like you are in a good place. And I just want to know, you know, from then to now what you feel like is improved and how you feel like you got there?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yes, absolutely, man, Sorry that I was going right in the darkest.
Speaker 4: No literally, I think that the best thing that I could have done for myself, and the thing was too I gave myself like twenty four hours on it, so I know how to at least in a roommate situation, like I can stay in my room for the most where I can avoid people. We can probably just even if a dramatic situation has I was basically way too dramatic for some people, but at least for me, when dramatic situations happen, for the most part, you can take a back seat. The problem was I took a back seat for twenty four hours and was still pissed off to the point where I'm like, I need someone to like check me for sure and make sure I'm good. So I didn't responsibly do when I'm in crisis, and I went to an inpatient that I knew they had all my information, and.
Speaker 1: I did a nice little seventy two hour stay just to talk to.
Speaker 4: Some professionals make sure that they could check off that I was okay like I thought I was. They did, and then through them too, I decided to start doing this outpatient rehabilitation center too, where I could focus more on myself and my surprise.
Speaker 2: Good, good, good, Are you are you sober right now?
Speaker 1: Am I?
Speaker 4: Literally just I just an hour before us getting on the phone, man smoked my last joint, or officially my last week that I have on me. This next week is going to kind of be a test to be like, can I just survive off the cigarette?
Speaker 2: What's the what's the big what's the big one? What's the big one for you? Is it pod? Is it alcohol?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Word?
Speaker 4: The worst thing for me is just And this is where I totally like New Year's. I mean, I'm just at a decent point here in Chicago where I can just hang in and hanging out with these rich kids at like New Year's parties, and there's just molly and cocaine and all the other like upper shit that's regularly available and for free, and it's all like the yeah, just upper like bandmate press bullshit, and and.
Speaker 2: How how how how sober are you from from that stuff?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Man? Yeah, I would say a couple of months now, well, actually not months.
Speaker 1: I'm over jumping myself. It is February.
Speaker 4: But since a couple of days after New Years, I got to a point independently where I was like, these things are definitely like I don't know, I was talking around with them when I was a teenager. I started sucking around with them again when I was twenty five, and I'm like, there's the reason I to stop when I was a teenager.
Speaker 2: So so so so lex Man, I suppose like, oh, I want to know from you before we go. Uh, I'm glad to hear that you're doing better. I'm glad to hear that I'm your you're beginning to it sounds like walk down a good path and you know you're going to a real therapist and getting off the you know, the hard stuff. Actually, what what do you hope for the future?
Speaker 1: Man? Man?
Speaker 4: I gotta man And this is the thing too, And I've really done some fucking cool things here in the last seven years.
Speaker 1: I hope to show you personally some time at.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I'm starting to release, at least the music side. I've been doing all types of art, but the music side of this stuff is coming throughout twenty twenty three in a pretty expansive form. But also I haven't dropped really anything since before COVID, so tons of music rolling out.
Speaker 8: I got a June or yeah, I remember or film interrupting you, but I remember I think either I saw you, or maybe our mutual friend saw you and.
Speaker 2: Or or maybe he shared with me some music and I remember I heard it. It must have been high school of college of being like this, shit's fucking hard as hell. This is great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 4: If I can really quick plug myself on your show, my account.
Speaker 1: Is on all platforms.
Speaker 2: Well listen when you're in When next time you're back in Baltimore and I'm back in Baltimore, I'm coming to the Auto Let me know if you want to come and coming to the Auto bar. Uh fucking later this year to do my GETO thing.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, isn't that in That's in April? Right? I thought.
Speaker 2: It in September.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no wait wait Baltimore is in good You've got an April show in Chicago though, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I see I'm doing one in Chicago.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, I should say, unless things getting super dramatic, I should still be here.
Speaker 2: Don't stay in Chicago for the sole purpose of coming to my live show.
Speaker 1: I'll say that I am not lyle trust me, it's not. I love you man, but it's definitely not just go to the GEK show. But I hope that I can go to the GET show.
Speaker 5: It'll be great.
Speaker 1: I will definitely be like Chicago Get Show or the Baltimore Get Show. At least you.
Speaker 2: Want to good. Good of the show. Good good catching up with you man, hit me up on we follow each other on the computer. Man, hit me up. I'd love to talk again. All right, that's you want to say.
Speaker 4: To the I shouldn't have plugged my Instagram account because now people can put this story together if they want to figure out. Oh whatever, fuck them, dude, Lyle. It was very catching up with YouTube man.
Speaker 2: Hey, YouTube man, you take care, I take care, buddy letter Man.
Speaker 8: Good.
Speaker 2: This good. It's always good catching up with old friends. I'm glad he's doing well.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Lex was a friend of mine in in high school and he was always doing cool creative stuff. It's cool that. Yeah, he's watching the stream the shows. You know, it's tweirt. I feel a weird uh kind of connection to a lot of folks from from from my past through this thing because I get like d ms and comments or whatever from from folks I went to high school with, or you know, anything like that. And it's good. It's good to keep connections to all phases of your life.
Speaker 3: There Ben goes on the line, taking your phone calls every night.
Speaker 2: There, Repin goes through on his eight who's teaching you cud in the mind of your life, but he's not really an expert