Speaker 1: You feeling. This is our production of I Heart Ladio and Overtones Media.
Speaker 2: Okay, so something's going on with Carla and I want to tell you, but you can't get weird about it.
Speaker 3: Now, what makes you think i'd get weird. I'm not gonna be jealous or anything or past that.
Speaker 2: Seriously, Claire, I don't think you're gonna be jealous. I just think you're gonna be what judgmental grace?
Speaker 4: Are you saying?
Speaker 3: You're not judgmental? Maybe, but it comes from a place of caring.
Speaker 2: Well, I can't remember if I told you this, but I'm Carla's first girlfriend.
Speaker 3: You definitely did not tell me that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: See, that's exactly what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: And I thought I felt fine about it until this thing happened the other day.
Speaker 4: The other morning, we're like both getting ready for.
Speaker 5: Work and.
Speaker 6: Fuck Jesus, I'm sorry, but I'm so late. I'm just gonna is it okay?
Speaker 5: If I just go?
Speaker 7: Sure?
Speaker 8: Sure, that's fine.
Speaker 6: Shit, there's glass everywhere too. I'm sorry, I'll grab the broom.
Speaker 8: Sorry, no, you go, you go, I'll clean this up.
Speaker 9: Don't worry, Okay, thanks, babe, I'm sorry. I just I really gotta go, is it you.
Speaker 7: So Carl thinks her dead ex boyfriend broke your flower jar?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Basically?
Speaker 7: Okay, Wow, you told me that she had a dead ex.
Speaker 3: You didn't tell me that it was a guy. Why does it matter?
Speaker 4: Come on, Okay, maybe it matters a little, But.
Speaker 2: I think the other thing that matters more, maybe is he only died three months before we met.
Speaker 3: What Why would you not tell me that?
Speaker 4: Because I really liked.
Speaker 5: Her and I knew you'd think it was weird.
Speaker 7: Everything makes so much sense now, Like what like the time she left the party crying, I thought she was having like a bad trip or something. Oh yeah, and how she never wants to talk to me. I thought she was just intimidated because I'm so sexy and we used to be together. Okay, be serious, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she really doesn't talk to people much these days.
Speaker 3: How do you deal with that?
Speaker 7: Weren't you scared that she wouldn't be ready to take a jump into something new?
Speaker 3: I mean, y'all lived together.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I mean I.
Speaker 4: Didn't think about it like that. She just needed someone and I wanted to be that someone.
Speaker 2: And now I feel like I'm in way too deep with someone who is stuck in the past, thinking about this guy that she was supposed to get married to and like have babies with.
Speaker 3: That's a lot, but she seems like she's worth it to you.
Speaker 2: She is, But now things are getting weird, like she wants to try and contact his ghost or something, and I feel like I have to go along with it.
Speaker 3: But like a full on seance.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Luigi board and everything.
Speaker 3: It's creepy, But like, how do I say?
Speaker 6: No, Hey, babe, you all set up in there?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Does this look right to you?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it looks like the movies.
Speaker 4: The other one who knows how Ouiji boards work?
Speaker 8: It's pretty simple.
Speaker 10: Sit down here, okay, and then we both place our hands on the plan chet the planchette, Yes, that's what it's called.
Speaker 3: And then we say hello. Wait do I say hello?
Speaker 8: I don't know. Maybe he wants to talk to you too.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: I think you have to introduce us at least.
Speaker 8: Then all right, Kareem are you there?
Speaker 5: Are you moving it?
Speaker 10: No, that just means it's working. Now put your hands back. You need two people for it to work. Okay, all right, Kareem are you there?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 10: Oh my god, he says, yes, what are you okay, Kareem, Yes, yes, have you been watching me? He's hesitating. Are you comfortable with Grace being here?
Speaker 8: What he says?
Speaker 10: Yes, Look, Kareem, I know I've kept things from you. Are you angry with me? It's not moving? Why are you looking at me like that? I just I don't know if this was the right thing to do.
Speaker 5: Listen.
Speaker 2: I really want to help you and be supportive, but some of this is a little hard to hear.
Speaker 10: It's just my one chance to talk to him again, and I don't even know if it's real.
Speaker 2: When you asked if he's mad at you, do you mean like because you're with me, because you're queer?
Speaker 8: No? No, I just meant that you're not looking at me.
Speaker 11: No.
Speaker 8: I just met being with someone else. This soon, right, But I mean, I.
Speaker 4: Can't believe I'm letting all this get me worked up.
Speaker 3: What do you mean all this?
Speaker 4: You know what I mean?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 8: Please tell me.
Speaker 2: For gray sake, Carlos, we're having a seance with Luigi board in our living room so that we.
Speaker 4: Can what talk to your ex boyfriend and see if we have his a pro or not. I thought you were sure about me.
Speaker 8: This isn't about you.
Speaker 2: It is when you're literally asking him questions about me.
Speaker 8: You know what, Fuck this, it was a bad idea.
Speaker 5: What I should have known.
Speaker 8: You couldn't handle it.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's not fair.
Speaker 8: I can't talk about this right now.
Speaker 10: I love you, but I'm going to my mom's Carla, Carla.
Speaker 8: I'll talk to you tomorrow.
Speaker 12: Okay, babe, check it out.
Speaker 8: Check what a.
Speaker 4: We've got a night vision camera.
Speaker 2: An electronic voice phenomena reader, and an EMF reader, which is it reads election tromagnetic fields or like disturbances in them, which means a paranormal presence.
Speaker 10: Look, I can't tell if you're being real with me, and I just think we should stop talking about this stuff.
Speaker 2: No, No, I'm not making fun, I swear. I mean, I'm sorry. I did a bunch of research and this stuff is actually pretty interesting.
Speaker 8: Seriously, okay, I.
Speaker 4: Mean, I don't know what happens after we die.
Speaker 2: You know, who's to say that our consciousness doesn't hang around on Earth for a little while, or like become a tree or a bird.
Speaker 10: I feel like you're talking about a serious subject. Like it's not serious.
Speaker 4: No, No, I.
Speaker 10: Think people stay on Earth as ghosts if they have something they need to resolve, maybe because they died too young.
Speaker 4: Okay, that sounds like something you got from a movie.
Speaker 5: Well, it just makes sense, like the movie Ghost.
Speaker 8: Okay.
Speaker 10: I can tell you're actually uncomfortable with this, and art is based on life.
Speaker 8: By the way, all.
Speaker 4: Right, maybe I am uncomfortable, but this stuff is heavy.
Speaker 8: You're right, it is.
Speaker 3: But you knew I was going through this and you chose to be with.
Speaker 11: Me, babe, of course I did.
Speaker 10: This is all very real to me, and I'm afraid you're just trying to turn it into.
Speaker 11: A joke with all this stuff.
Speaker 2: Honestly, No, you're right. I don't always say the right thing, but this matters to you. So we are going to see what Kareem has.
Speaker 4: To say to us.
Speaker 10: Okay, Okay, let's give it a try.
Speaker 6: So we're just gonna leave it all running. Yeah, that's the idea.
Speaker 3: We just let it go all night.
Speaker 4: And then there's this app that sinks up with all my phone.
Speaker 2: So if there are weird noises or electromagnetic disturbances, well no, it's probably just gonna be you talking in your sleep or.
Speaker 8: Are you farting?
Speaker 5: What the fuck?
Speaker 8: Carla?
Speaker 3: Are you up?
Speaker 4: Come out here?
Speaker 1: Good?
Speaker 8: Morning.
Speaker 4: You're up early, Carla.
Speaker 5: Listen to this.
Speaker 8: What am I supposed to be hearing?
Speaker 2: Okay, this is just the living room, nothing going on at three twenty three am.
Speaker 8: And then oh my god.
Speaker 4: Wait no, I think that's just the picture on my desk.
Speaker 2: It's always falling over and look, that's how it was when I got up this morning.
Speaker 5: But keep listening.
Speaker 8: What the fuck?
Speaker 4: Something or someone said my name.
Speaker 8: I'm sorry, this is I need to be alone. I think this is a lot for me too.
Speaker 10: You know, I don't think you want to hear what's happening in my head right now.
Speaker 8: I do, I really do talk to me.
Speaker 10: After he died, I thought the person I was was gone forever and that I would only feel lost. And then I met you, and you cut through all of that. You brought me back, and it made me feel so guilty. I wasn't supposed to love anyone else, but the way I felt at the moment he left, I think it's always going to be there.
Speaker 8: It's not like we.
Speaker 10: Both get to live and evolve and heal. And I was hoping I could find a way to get that permision from him.
Speaker 3: To move on.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 3: Listen, Okay, I'm listening.
Speaker 4: And it's from the ghost recording thing.
Speaker 13: Okay, you heard it right, something saying my name.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, it's not sounding like much to me.
Speaker 4: I think maybe the file compressed an extented to my phone. I'm gonna get my laptop out.
Speaker 3: Hey, uh, Grace, can we take a second?
Speaker 7: Are you all right?
Speaker 8: I'm fine.
Speaker 4: It's Carl what I'm worried about.
Speaker 7: You're just not seeming like yourself right now, and I'm worried about you. Are you sure recording ghosts is gonna fix whatever's going on.
Speaker 5: Between you two? I don't know.
Speaker 4: She just feels like she's missing something.
Speaker 2: And it was there when I met her, this void, and I was drawn to it. I wasn't even thinking except if I could just make this girl smile, it would be everything. And I took a long time. I was patient, and somehow I just knew it would be worth it.
Speaker 4: But now she's saying that.
Speaker 2: She thinks her feelings for him won't ever change because he won't have the chance to evolve away from her, and so she won't have that chance either.
Speaker 4: Something like that.
Speaker 3: That kind of makes sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's a lot to deal with.
Speaker 3: She deals with me still being around all the time. I mean, you post no threat.
Speaker 2: Okay, wow, I mean I just we were together so long ago, we were different people then.
Speaker 3: But you still love me, don't you. I mean, of course, so she can still love him.
Speaker 7: Too, but not the same way she loves you anymore.
Speaker 3: Like obviously she just can't.
Speaker 8: Are you there?
Speaker 10: Kareem, Kareem, Kareem, it's me. I know you think this is tacky. Actually, I have no idea what you think about death. Why didn't we ever talk about that?
Speaker 11: We should have.
Speaker 8: I should have told you that I had liked women too. I felt so guilty about it. I was always trying to read your mind, wondering what you met when you.
Speaker 10: Left at certain parts of movies, but I was just too afraid to ask.
Speaker 8: Sometimes I would almost say something.
Speaker 10: Sometimes i'd almost come out to you, but then I think we'll get to that another day.
Speaker 8: We have so much time.
Speaker 10: I feel like you're trying to reach out to me, And if that's true, I'm really.
Speaker 11: Trying to hear you.
Speaker 8: I really miss you.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: It's not.
Speaker 10: Everyone knows I miss you, and they're so concerned about me all the time, but they think it's mentioning you, or like talking about the funeral.
Speaker 5: That makes me.
Speaker 10: Sad, but that stuff doesn't bother me. You were already gone. Then It's just that sometimes I forget cream, Like I'll be watching TV and I'll just turn to you to say something because I think I can.
Speaker 8: And sometimes I swear to God, I.
Speaker 10: Walk in the front door and I expect to see you sitting right here on the couch.
Speaker 8: I should move, I really fucking should.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 10: Grace is right about that. She's right about most things. You know, kind of like you. Actually it's annoying, but she makes me feel safe. You'd like her, Kareem, I really think you would.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, Jesus, Hi, you scared this shit out of me.
Speaker 2: Why because it's bayarly nine pm and you're in bed and.
Speaker 8: You said you had to work late.
Speaker 10: I did, but I kind of figured happy hour wouldn't go that long.
Speaker 4: Well, you're right. Claire still refuses to pay a full price for drinks at Chippito.
Speaker 8: And yet she owns a two bedroom house in Silver Lake.
Speaker 4: I know it's so obnoxious, but none of this explains why you are in bed before midnight.
Speaker 8: I was just feeling kind of wiped.
Speaker 4: Wait, what's going on?
Speaker 8: Have you been crying? I mean yes, but it was a good cry? Really? Are you sure positive?
Speaker 11: Here?
Speaker 8: Spoon me?
Speaker 2: Okay, I will, but hold that thought because I'm not actually ready for bed yet.
Speaker 10: Grandma, Okay, leave the light on. I'm just gonna read until you're back.
Speaker 13: Okay, Grace, you really don't have to do that.
Speaker 8: Let's just forget it. Okay, I don't.
Speaker 6: Mind at all. It takes like two seconds.
Speaker 10: No, but.
Speaker 8: I'm not just saying it for you. I don't care anymore.
Speaker 3: Okay, what happened?
Speaker 4: Something happened while I was out.
Speaker 10: No, seriously, I've just had some time to think and it was probably all in my head.
Speaker 2: Okay, but we both heard what was on the recording, Carla, are you saying that wasn't real?
Speaker 10: I think we heard something real and we wanted to explain what was going on, and that's how we explained it.
Speaker 5: I heard what I heard.
Speaker 11: I know.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's just listen again and no, okay, fine, I'm sorry.
Speaker 10: We can listen in the morning if you want. You can run all the ghost hunting stuff. I don't care, but can we just go to bed.
Speaker 8: I don't want to think about this stuff.
Speaker 11: Right now.
Speaker 4: Okay, Yes, I'm sorry.
Speaker 6: Let's just go to bed.
Speaker 3: Thank you, baby, You'll be so well rested, you'll thank me.
Speaker 8: Grace, wake up.
Speaker 10: Carla, Chrace, get up, come on, let's go.
Speaker 6: Is it him? Is it him?
Speaker 8: Grace?
Speaker 7: What?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 5: Get up, get under the table, Come on, can't.
Speaker 6: Tell me your grace?
Speaker 4: Is it him?
Speaker 5: Is it Kareem?
Speaker 7: What? No?
Speaker 6: Grace?
Speaker 3: Please please be in reality right now. It's a fucking earthquake.
Speaker 8: Hey. I was really scared last day.
Speaker 5: Me too.
Speaker 2: For a minute there, I really did think it was Kareem. But then I was worried you'd think he was sending you a message to stay away from me.
Speaker 10: I never thought that even for a second, Grace. I was thinking, this is the big one and we're all gonna die.
Speaker 2: Well, you have more experience than I do in that department. The ground doesn't like randomly just move under your feet in Wisconsin.
Speaker 10: Honestly, though, all I was thinking was I can't lose you too.
Speaker 11: You were Yeah, that's kind of nice to hear.
Speaker 8: You don't think I worry about that.
Speaker 10: You don't think I worry about the way we met that you'll want someone without all this baggage.
Speaker 4: Goud I never thought about it like that.
Speaker 8: We're such a caring person. You can be really self absorbed. But I feel like everything I'm worried about it didn't come from him. It came from me. What do you mean if he's watching us?
Speaker 11: Yes, he can only be happy.
Speaker 14: The One You Really Love was written and directed by Me Melissa Dudley and me Hannah Harris Green, featuring Christina Lopezz, Carla Kyla mccrack and Is Grace and a Kemi Akanams Claire.
Speaker 3: The editor and producer is Cameron Kel. On set sound mixer is Daniel Martinez.
Speaker 14: Sound designer and head of post production is Diego Perez. Creator and showrunner is James Kim. On set photographer is Julian Park. Score by Robert Garova and Ryobaum You Feeling.
Speaker 2: This is a production of iHeartRadio and Overtones Media.
Speaker 10: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, check out the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.