Speaker 1: Welcome to NFL Daily, where we love a quarterback battle and early.
Speaker 2: I'm Greg Rosenthal.
Speaker 1: I'm here at the Bolt in El Segundo, the Chargers training facility where we watched practice on this very Tuesday, and you're gonna hear our interviews and our takeaways from Mike McDaniel on Wednesday show. But for now, Jordan, what we're doing, Yes, Jordan Rodriguez with me. Hello, We're gonna do a little campus might be named Daily Buzz in the in the season. That's the one that's the name that you wanted.
Speaker 2: So what campus is.
Speaker 1: We're just gonna get you up to date on all the news around the league. And yeah, like I said, we'll tell you everything that happened at Chargers camp on our next show, and I alluded to it off the top. Kyler Murray is your Vikings quarterback. I find the timing really interesting because it comes off of three or four days where the general reporting around Kyler Murray and this Vikings quarterback battle was like, man, it'd be nice if Kyler would just take this job, because he actually hasn't been playing that well. He's thrown some groaners. JJ McCarthy's had his moments, if you just didn't know that much between the two of them, even though Kyler's been getting way more snaps with the first team, you would say, yeah, it's Kyler, but it's kind of either way, like they're both struggling. And yet, why do you think Kevin O'Connell chose this Tuesday to declare it over as we expected from the beginning?
Speaker 3: To me, some of it, I would think has to do with preparing for this first preseason game and really getting your roster plan ready for that. Who's going to play and how much they're going to play, who's not going to play, and how much they're not going to play. That in itself would be a huge tell and again continue to perpetuate the story of this quarterback battle, which I don't think that organization really wants at this point, but it really would be a very very clear indicator either way if they hadn't already announced it, when people are breathlessly counting preseason snaps and who does what? And is Kyler is he even playing? Is he held out? And does that mean he's the starter? I think that this makes sense to me that for that reason, what I wish I would have seen is one of the two guys, to your point, actually sees this job and clearly run away with it.
Speaker 1: I do wonder for a team that you're right. I think probably does just want this story to go away. That if anything, it's annoying to hear people being like JJ won this day and it's just like, what are we doing here?
Speaker 2: We know it's going to be Kyler Murray's job.
Speaker 1: JAJ McCarthy certainly hasn't played well enough to change their mind. And what Kevin O'Connell said at the podium was it's a projection. But now we've seen him in this offense despite what people are saying, and these are my words, not Kevin O'Connell's words. Kevin O'Connell said that we think he fits this offense. We now know he fits this offense. We've seen him fits this off Ultimately, it's like we're wasting our time giving first team reps to JJ McCarthy. I wanted to ask you if you believe Kevin O'Connell that JJ McCarthy has a future with the organization.
Speaker 3: I think he can say that until the right offer comes along, if it ever does.
Speaker 1: What about just like a six round pick or something in late August, like basically nothing, but just let's get rid of it.
Speaker 3: I don't really want I don't really that's not really my forte is assigning value to people.
Speaker 4: But I really think that, like.
Speaker 2: But he's gonna have to. They're gonna have They're.
Speaker 4: Gonna have to.
Speaker 3: And my thing, to sort of circle back on what you're talking about there for a second, Greg, is like they want to install a lot of offense too. You can install actually what your offense is gonna That's what teams are doing right now the first two weeks of training camp. That's all fun and there's fans there and it's a really really cool time. This happens right now in this like third ish week, right before the first preseason game, where you're actually you're not gonna show your offense in the preseason, but you're actually uploading your entire playbook in totality to this offense. And if you're splitting reps between two players, you can't actually functionally do that. And when he says but when he talks about you know, efficiency, and it just doesn't make sense to keep doing it this way, Like, yeah, absolutely, I understand that. Do I believe that long term, JJ McCarthy is going to be a part of this Vikings team.
Speaker 4: No, I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't believe that, even though I do think there are some people in the building who still still want to see how to make that work. However, I don't think they're just going to give this guy away.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: That's why I ask and when I say a sign of back, because you're saying if the right value comes along, I don't know what it is, right, I mean to me, there's two different types of ways that they would handle it. Sure, they would trade him for a good draft pick at the end of training camp, if someone gave him a good offer, let's say a future third or something like that.
Speaker 2: I find that unlikely to happen.
Speaker 1: It's possible, because you know, top top quarterback picks. It happens, it's pos or do they look at it? And I think this is where it could go. That we have the backup quarterback in Carson Wentz that we really like. And I've heard some reporters, including on Purple Daily that I listened to, say like Carson Wentz probably played like the cleanness of like knowing the offense of this camp. And here we are right, we have our backup in Carson Wentz that will take the best offer we can get for JJ McCarthy, and that might be a future fifth we will find out, and that would be the last time we hear.
Speaker 3: Do it this time of year too, because you if you're going to up again insta all your entire offense for your starting quarterback, Kyler Murray, you.
Speaker 4: Gotta make sure the vibes are good.
Speaker 2: That's star's more what I mean, like to start.
Speaker 4: Camp, we're not good.
Speaker 3: Did not feel good coming from at least one side of that that whole operation.
Speaker 1: That is more what I mean that they might just decide it's not worth the distraction in their minds of the questions and let's just rip the band aid off and it would be interesting to see who went after him. This would be a pretty logical place to do it, the Los Angeles Chargers, where his former coach has tried to rehabilitate a top quarterback pick before, in Trey Lance, who is here as the backup, but not really lighting it up at training camp from what I've heard in general. So more in this space later. Okay, it's a news update show. And unfortunately, at this time of year, A lot of the news updates are injury, so we're gonna go through a lot of the ones I think are the most interesting. Pukuinakua goes first because he left the joint practice between the Rams and the Cowboys on Tuesday with an injury that Sean McVay didn't want to guess what it was, but he left. But it's Pukinakua will always keep an eye on that. Miles Garrett also left with or didn't practice at all with swelling in his knee.
Speaker 2: That doesn't sound great. I'm sure they're being careful.
Speaker 1: You don't want to throw them out there in a joint practice, but just swelling, and he's had some issues so far this week. But I bring pukab first because Adam scheff Or mentioned Puka Akua as one of a few NFL players who could face discipline in terms of a suspension. He also mentioned Josh Jacobs specifically Adam Schefter, that is, as someone who could still face NFL discipline. This was the most on Front Street that any main reporter like that has actually thrown out the possibility that that Puoka could be suspended by the NFL. If Schefter's thrown it out there. I tend to think it's happening, and then that is surprising to me because you just hadn't heard a lot about this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's well, it is something the team has sort of been bracing with Alerc Jackson as well, their left tackle, to see they did they didn't know what was maybe gonna come or not come. But the fact that they were that they didn't know clearly that something wouldn't come made me feel like, maybe something will, you know. And so that's something absolutely to keep an eye on right now, less so than than you know, any possible injury or anything like that. I mean, this is this is the big the biggest subplot of the Rams start to their season, even more so than the superstar talent that they have brought in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, keep an eye on this because the NFL generally announces these suspensions they're a little unpredictable by mid to late August, which we're in. Sometimes they've announced it in early August, but usually they don't, you know, wait until the last week before the season starts. And the Rams are starting in Australia. They're not leaving eight days early like San Francisco. But I'm sure the Rams would like to know, and I'm sure Netflix is hoping he's available for that game, but Adam Schefter thrown it out there makes me think that he might not be out there for week one.
Speaker 3: Usually he at least lobs up the signal you know that something's marinating the other. The thing with Miles Garrett, Okay, I don't ever want to doubt in. I hope he's not injured. I hope he's not. You know, but wouldn't it be interesting if you know these two teams they want to get some really productive work in right goods on goods against an opponent. They want to really see defensive structure and offensive structure. Wouldn't that be something maybe you talk about with the other coach. Because I was just at a Rams practice and Miles Garrett single handedly blew it up. So it's like the old Aaron Donald days. So I'm just I'm just you know, I'm not saying anything. I'm just wondering. Wouldn't would that be something Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Are like, we don't want that smoke. Tyler Geiten's trying to get build some confidence.
Speaker 3: Also, like their defense, the Rams want to see what this defense actually could Also look like, you know, without I just think like maybe you get your bet your most functional work done. If if you're a superstar pass rusher who is absolutely destroying your practice script on days he is available like Aaron Donald used to do. I don't know I would have that conversation. I'm not saying it happened. I'm just I would personally have that conversation absolutely fair.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if Garrett even makes the show if not for the Pooka connection.
Speaker 2: But it's interesting.
Speaker 1: I love the joint practices out there, and I believe there was a report forty nine ers Titans had four fights within the first ten minutes of practice.
Speaker 2: That's great, that's great for everyone there.
Speaker 1: But as I mentioned, Josh Jacobs could be suspended as well, so that's something to watch because he hasn't been healthy either. He is out for at least another week with a knee injury. He is in every other year guy. He often gets hurt, so he might not be a guy that the Packers can rely on, certainly not if he's suspended early in the year. Michael Parsons helped to illuminate his recovery from his knee surgery with our Stacey Dales and Brian Baldinger saying that Week six against the Cowboys, not so coincidentally, I doubt would possibly be the very earliest that Micah Parsons would be back, and wouldn't that be delicious? I think that's a Sunday night football game if he gears up his rehab to get back for that game, but he won't be back until then. According to Michaeh Parsons, who this was a delight in terms of building up himself with our friends.
Speaker 5: And I don't even think it's just about pastors. I think about is commanding the defensive front, like the way I set it up. I can dictate the slides, know where the slides going, understand protections. I think I'm above IQ in every rush in the league. I don't like I've learned from the best between Dan Zim halfway like I really understand football at a way better level. So allows me to, you know, use those abilities that I haven't seen no one else do.
Speaker 1: So I love the take the confidence for Michael Parsons, And the reason I threw that in the show other than it's a fun SoundBite, is that I remember he did this event with Miles Garrett and they were on the stage. Did you see that this summer? He more or less said, I'm smarter than you. Miles Garrett, like.
Speaker 4: I did not see this. Now in the.
Speaker 1: Nicest of ways, he was. He was like, I don't just get there with athleticism. I'm the smartest edge in the league. I do it with this, this and that, and some people aren't just going out there and doing it and I and Miles Garrett was.
Speaker 2: Like, excuse me, back and forth, and.
Speaker 1: I was just like I, I, you know, generally someone that calls themselves the smartest, we have some high profile examples are not the smartest. So maybe it's it's not true, but I still just like it.
Speaker 4: I like Michael Parker, you know who I bet loves that as Jerry Jones.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, another self proclaimer.
Speaker 1: Another I bet he'll also love No lie. If Michael Parsons come back for that game, yeah, just the attention on that would be one of the games of the year.
Speaker 2: But he will not be back for a while. More injury news.
Speaker 1: Nate Wiggins, the Ravens cornerback, carted off practice.
Speaker 2: We'll see again.
Speaker 1: Carts don't always mean the same thing, but we'll track that because he's really important for their defense at cornerback. Thought he was a young, improving player. Caid Mays one of our favorite free agent pickups. He's the center for the Detroit Lions, is gonna be back in about eight to ten weeks after a wrist injury, so that puts him out for the first month plus of the season. More bad Lions news. His backup, which in theory is Juice Scrugs, great option from the Texans, also hurt right now. Isaiah Pacheco sprained his MCL. He hasn't been healthy in years. And then Dan Campbell indicated that Brian Branch and Kirby Joseph, they're all pro safety tandem, would both not be back, likely until early in the regular season, that they would miss some regular season time. That is not a surprise when it comes to Brian Branch coming off major knee surgery, but we haven't really heard about what's happening with Kirby Joseph.
Speaker 2: So just.
Speaker 1: A bunch of bad news for one team. And sometimes it's not you know who you face, but when you face them, the Lions, you know might be a good Week one opponent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, and the whole talk about them this year is can they get their offense kind of humming the way that we're used to, especially the run game humming that we're used to with the even with the departure of David Montgomery. When you're missing your center and the offensive line was retooled a little bit, when you're missing the guy in the pivot basically in that role, that's that's really tough.
Speaker 4: Caid mays we loved him for.
Speaker 3: He was really held that Panthers line together last year in a really positive way. Tough as they come to. So that's unfortunate. And then the questions about this Lion's defense just won't will not go away until they're healthy. Oh and by the way, losing you know, a corner for the foreseeable well they cut him Terry on Arnold and and and you know you're losing depth there with him, and then you're also losing guys to injuries like this.
Speaker 4: My question still, what is this defense going to look like?
Speaker 3: And how are you gonna affect the opposing offense because it's just one thing after another with this group.
Speaker 1: I think it's been a good camp for them up front. Yeah, once you get to the linebacker and the second the secondary is a mess, and you know who plays them week one. This is off the top of my head, and so I really hope it's not wrong. You're New Orleans Saints, Tyler suck baby, Yeah, could be lighting it up. That's back and forth. That's a lot of points. I see a lot of points in that game, partly because the Saints are quite banged up too. Cam Jordan has an injury that could keep him out into the regular season. We were waiting for an update with Cam Jordan, but it does sound quite significant and he's going to be out for a while. Hopefully he's still podcasting in the meantime, but I unfortunately.
Speaker 3: Maybe we can get an update from him. You know, I hope he is on the come on the show.
Speaker 1: That would be outstanding. The Bears are another team kind of clustering injuries. Kobe Bryant their safety. We knew he was going to miss a big chunk of the season, we did not know he was likely to miss all the season.
Speaker 4: Yeh.
Speaker 1: Ben Johnson revealed at the Ponium after Adam Schefter reported it earlier that Kobe Bryant would be out four to six months and they would hope for him to be back for the playoffs. I think it's one of those situations they didn't know quite how bad it was until he underwent the surgery. Yeah, and so that's one of their big free agent pickups gone. They're really banged up in the secondary right now. We'll see who comes back, if Kyler Gordon comes back. But also on offense, the guy who a lot of people thought might be their number one receiver this year, Luther Burden, out roughly a month according to a local report. I think the hope is that maybe he's working his way back, not fully back for week one. It's tough to tell this far out, but some rough news on a few fronts there for the Bears.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I worry less about their offense as long as those you know, their their alignment. You know, the Ozzie Trepulo obviously still recovering from the injury. But for the most part, I think they'll be okay.
Speaker 1: They did the thing on the depth chart where they listed three guys at the same position as their starting left tackle, which is classic if you have threes.
Speaker 4: Class I mean, I think I don't worry as much about their offense.
Speaker 3: Luthor burden. It's not having to miss much time. I don't worry too much about that. I think it's a soft tissue which I am a little worried about. With the receiver as explosive as he can be. This defense is where I have a huge concern because they already played the game and took the risk this offseason that they were going to continue to predicate their system with coverage first, and they were going to continue to try be as aggressive as possible with their coverages despite letting some really good players walk in free agency, and then by bringing in a player like Kobe Bryant dictate that way and then try to get these guys up front continuing to develop and not make a big signing there and not make a big a big trade there. And so that is a risk already, and then it becomes even more of a razor thin line to walk when you do have an injury, the significant with a player who was supposed to really make a difference for them.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: And it's like the starters are hurt, the backups are hurt.
Speaker 2: We got a month to go.
Speaker 1: But man, they've asked the station over there, right, They've asked Dennis Allen to do a lot, and he made up for a lot. That's tough to make that work year after year in the in the secondary, but I believe in you. The Dennissance is on a few other rookie notes. Kaylin Rutledge the yeah the Texans. I was going to say first round pick, yes, or was he high second round pick? Either way, he's going to be the starting center for this team, so learning a new position that's interesting immediately put there. Heard from our friend Andrew Siciliano that Spencer Fano, uh, following up on what we talked about Sunday night has been declared the left tackle of the Browns and no more battle there for the top ten pick. I also spoke too soon about that Browns quarterback battle, like a day after it sounded like they're just going on Watson. They give it back to should Sanders, and Todd Munkin is f bombing both quarterbacks because practice ends with Shoulder having two like pre snat penalties and incomplete and then Watson and then practice with pre snat penalty and an interception, and he's just like Todd Muggins, mad at them all and there's no clarity there, and it serves me right for opening a show with the Browns quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: Stupid.
Speaker 1: The Patriots made a trade which I'm only gonna mention because he was a third round pick two years ago, Kaden Wallace. And now that Drake May draft class only has two guys left of it, Drake May and Marcellus Dial, who's like an end of the roster guy who might not make the team anyways. That was a disastrous draft class other than Drake May, which is a big other.
Speaker 2: Then and then finally, or maybe.
Speaker 1: Not finally, in the news before our broadcasting news, Quinn Williams signs a three year, one hundred and six million dollar contract that makes his total time with the Cowboys contract five years, one hundred and fifty three million dollars. We always killed the Cowboys for not getting these deals done early. They got it done very early, so you can do it. They just do it with who they want, which makes me think they don't want it with George Pickens.
Speaker 2: That's my take.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, I think they've been pretty clear about that, but yeah, they darn it if I don't really enjoy a Cowboys offseason once again, you know, it's like making the right decisions and signing these players who are going to be pillars for them and doing these smart extensions, and they had, you know, really really strong vibes to open camp. Dak Prescott's out there wearing a T shirt from the Super Bowl and saying, why wouldn't I talk about this? I want to win a Super Bowl. Why shouldn't I talk about it and try to manifest it. That sounds like the Cowboys defense is playing really well against the Rams offense and this joint practice as we're recording, and like, I can't wait I go up there later this week.
Speaker 4: I cannot wait to see what there is to see.
Speaker 1: Regular NFL Daily listeners will know that we are the only podcast that declares a winner for every single joint practice because we're taping this so soon after all these joint practices are while they're happening, we need to check the tape and check the reports that you know, scoring will come later in the week. Yeah, that's a big one, Rams Chargers, that's one of the biggest ones.
Speaker 2: Nicki min worry.
Speaker 1: Also taking off the pup list for the Seahawk, So some good injury news. Yeah as well, maybe he could get back for Week one.
Speaker 2: We will see.
Speaker 1: Finally, I just want to note we cover the broadcasters like their players because we spend all Sunday with them. They're important to us and one of our favorites, a regular NFL Daily guest and around the NFL guest back in the day, Ross Tucker, who I used to work with, is one of the people getting a big bump up because of everything that happened to Tony Romo. They had some sort of press conference press availability on Tuesday. The CBS executives, the shadowy League figures did not say anything about Tony Romo. They said, they're just we're figuring out that situation. Time will tell, noncommittal, but thankfully we've got a great bench. They've already announced JJ Watt is stepping up to number one. Yeah, and I think I think Iron Eagle is the number two spot, which means Ross Tucker is going all the way up to number two. It's a little confusing to me. Kevin Harlan is there too. How can you choose between Harlan and Eagle two?
Speaker 2: Three?
Speaker 1: But either way, Ross Tucker is going to be calling some big time games. Yeah, that's quite an elevation. I'd love to see it.
Speaker 3: Yes, and Ross, never forget your roots on NFL Daily in the around Man and everything else that you've always done really really well.
Speaker 4: But that's cool to see.
Speaker 2: We want to talk roots.
Speaker 1: I worked with him at NBC's Sports Channel, a channel that's so old it didn't exist because they shut it down for ten to fifteen years, and now they've actually brought it back and it exists again.
Speaker 2: That's how long ago.
Speaker 1: Ross Tucker and I did some fantasy nightly show or.
Speaker 3: So you famously today famously to you had Chris rim the great reporter for ESPN who covers the the Chargers, tell you that you looked about twenty five or thirty five. I don't remember which one, but you know.
Speaker 4: So maybe there you go. You're still you're still holding the down, Greg.
Speaker 2: That's that's because I've got like the like the height, the body of like a millie.
Speaker 4: We had, yes, and we're like.
Speaker 1: An elementary schooler, not even the body, because it's an elementary schooler plus like thirty pounds.
Speaker 3: I will tell you it has been a real treat sitting between you and very very short football coaches for this, and I feel like I do look about three feet taller and maybe wider as well when I sit in between you guys.
Speaker 4: But really great for the old ego here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Cameron Dicker ruined everything because he's a kicker, but he's a he's a unit everyone on This is a yes, you will. You will hear our interview with him on Wednesday morning. But yes, I did scout and want to get Sean McVay and Mike McDaniel for their height, not just their offensive Acumi.
Speaker 4: Yes, it is all about it is. It is all a very very very serious calculation in your mind. Greg.
Speaker 1: So, as we've been teasing, our next show in the feed will be from Chargers camp. You will hear our interviews with Mike McDaniel and Cameron Dicker and some takeaways from the practice.
Speaker 2: And yeah, it is all. It is all Roland.
Speaker 1: We're gonna be live on Thursday night at the end of the preseason game, so to check us out. Then we might have our winners of the joint practices. Then until then, Jordan rod reeg what a week. I hope everyone checked out the Power Players with Nick Kayley. That was a great interview. We will see you on Wednesday.