Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 3: Cowboys. This He's Talking Cowboys, screening live from the Dallas Cowboys World Headquarters at the Star in Frisco Street. Six second, pust Kidson, Teddy Paint Touchdowns and now.
Speaker 4: Your hosts, Isaiah Standback, Nick Harris, John Mashoda, and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 3: It's a Wednesday edition of Talking Cowboys presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, live from the Star in Frisco, Texas in the SWBC studios. It is fifty three man cut Down Week and we have plenty to talk about trades, cut downs, and a whole lot more with Nick Harris, John Matchodayesa stand Back. I'm Kyle Yeomans. Gentlemen, how we doing doing fantastic well, lots to talk about it.
Speaker 5: I want to start the show.
Speaker 6: By congratulating Kyle Yeomans and Isaiah stand Back NBA Award winners in the building today.
Speaker 3: Fact been nice, Yeah nice.
Speaker 5: I'm proud of you boys.
Speaker 7: Thanks.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it. It is it's such a blessing to be able to do what we do on a daily basis and peer recognition is awesome. I really think it's a great thing. And the fact that that Isaiah gets nominated and wins for Best Analysts, I mean that's long overdue.
Speaker 1: Let's get the behind the scenes. What were the reactions, like, Oh, man, did you expect to win?
Speaker 7: Did you?
Speaker 3: I didn't either, I really didn't. I did not.
Speaker 8: I I honestly, I mean, this probably sounds bad, but I didn't know the severity or the importance of this entire anything. You know what I'm saying, Like, I just didn't just do it to do it. I'm still relatively new in this industry's I mean, Kyle knows me. I'm locked in, man, I just so, I really didn't. I didn't have a speech.
Speaker 3: I literally got up and spoke on him. I spoke on the mic.
Speaker 8: I think, you know, I thank God, I think my wife, I thank my teammates, everybody you know I consider here in my teammates, and.
Speaker 7: I thank my coach.
Speaker 9: And that was it.
Speaker 3: I was about it.
Speaker 8: There dropped the mic. But I did not expect I really didn't expect it. I was going up against Mark mcklamore, you know, and I used to watch him. I was a baseball dude, right so he's playing for the Mariners. I used to go down to the Kingdome, walk down there and watch him play, and we're cool, you know, we know each other. But like to go against him now that's kind of kind of full circle, but but I was. I was blessed, honored. Man, this guy another hand. I fully expected him to win.
Speaker 1: Came there with like a whole expect this guys.
Speaker 3: First off, his speech to the telepropherty I went, I went all the way through that that day, and first off, credit to my wife. She was like, you know what you're going and you're wearing a Tucks like you have a chance to win your first emmy. I was like, let me just wear like a sport code, let me just walk in like I didn't really want to really dress. So she was like, no, if you have a chance to win your first AMMY, you were going to wear a Tucks And I was like, okay, fine, yes ma'am. And then we got there and just getting to see everybody there, I mean, there's mentors that that I've watched on TV for so long and that I've learned from in my four years here and just really looked up to and to see them there, and uh the first person the hugby when I got off stage was new He Scruggs, who's of course on the Player's lounge and he's been such a blessing for me and in the business and in this whole process, and so it was really cool. It was really cool. I didn't have a speech prepared either, and they they told us twenty seconds is all you got. So it's like, I mean, it was quick, serious, and they would cut you off with the next video if you went over, like for real. So I went up there and I was like, yep, wife, coach, god, yeap, let me get out of here, like teammates for sure, and uh, yeah it was. It was really fun. So great day. We beam, Yeah, beamer Man beam for sure. Honestly, that's the MVP. That's a chance.
Speaker 8: But I didn't even think about trying to You're involved with the team makes there is no way to go down the line and in the amount of people that I would have to think individually, So it was all encomassing in terms of just time.
Speaker 3: The team.
Speaker 8: I mean, the team here is ridiculous, you know, and there's a lot of amazing talent that comes through these doors. Obviously, I mean skills all across the board. And you know, one thing you always remind yourself of is how blessed you are to be in this building and on this platform, because I mean, this is the greatest brand in sports. And I think a lot of times, you know, you're going through life and frustrations happened and all that jazz, and you really have to remind yourself where the heck are you at every day, you know, and it's it's pretty awesome.
Speaker 7: And then to be recognized, you know, as especially at least for.
Speaker 8: Me from my perspective as just a young spring chicken just trying to grind it out, it's pretty dope.
Speaker 1: It was also too that like what we were just walking in here, Yeah, Stephen Jones was walking by in the hallway. It was like, hey, congratulations, Isaiah whatever.
Speaker 3: You know, Yeah, they know, they know. The cool thing For me, it was Isaiah and I really kind of started this journey together. I mean we were on Talking Cowboys really together from when we first got on the show. I think I did four shows without you before you House, the COVID edition, yeah, twenty twenty, and then we hopped on Talking Cowboys. Of course, that's kind of stayed the same sense. But then we got on pregame later in twenty twenty when the football season actually began and we started that TV journey together, and both of our submissions had a lot of pregame in it, a lot of pregame and postgame stuff in it. So the fact that like we kind of came in together and started this journey in twenty twenty to like win something where we kind of play off of each other on it was really really cool, so fun times. But enough about us, Let's talk about.
Speaker 1: The Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: That's what that's what we're here for. Let's where do you guys want to start? You want to start with the fifty three man cut downs. You're wearing your under lip key North Dakota State Green to Paris.
Speaker 5: Sure as did you know?
Speaker 6: I started the Hunter Lucky fan Club the day he got signed and the plane reached new heights yesterday?
Speaker 3: But no, no, true, thirty one thousand or thirty six thousand, thirty six thousand feet, forty three thousand feet, forty three thousand feet.
Speaker 5: I'm here, I'd give you that, but honestly, I was shocked he made the roster.
Speaker 6: I will say that I thought they were going to take four tight ends and three running backs, And if you had told me it's going to come down to Sean McEwen or Hunter Lkey, I would have been like, Okay, McEwen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 6: I was pretty surprised. I and you know, the more I've been thinking about it, it makes sense. I guess if you want somebody that still has a ton of upside that can bring more to the offense from a skill perspective, that I understand keeping looky, but also I think that's going to show a lot of confidence in Schoonmaker and the fact that he can block for the running game this year. So they must feel pretty good about where he's at with his planner fasciitis if it is, you know, overcome, and they feel pretty good about where he is skill set wise too. So there was a lot of fascinating things that I think went into that decision. I think that's one of the more interesting ones my hundred Lookey fandom the side.
Speaker 3: In addition to thirty two roster cuts, yesterday, Cowboys put four players on the reserve injured list. David Durdin, de Marvion Overshowing, John Stevens. Josh ball Ball was probably the one that's kind of a bit surprising, but we talked about it on Monday. He was expected to miss a significant amount of time. Let's go through, just like a clump of these at a time. We'll start with, Uh, start with Jabrill Cox. I think that's a pretty massive one. I mean, day two pick, or excuse me, day three pick, somebody that had high hopes for being in this linebacker corps. And Isaiah I know, whenever he was selected, I was very high on him. You really liked what he brought to the table. And then the injuries kind of happened. Then it derailed a lot of that production and a lot of that growth early on.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and I hate it being the guy that you know, I'm a straight shooter, but I know you've heard me many times.
Speaker 7: Say that knees just not not the same.
Speaker 8: It's not He's not what he was, unfortunately, and that sucks because I'm somebody who's sustained a lot of injuries. But the reality is, once he had that injury, his greatest asset was then tarnished. I mean, he could not he wasn't as agile as he was. He wasn't as fast as he once was. His ability to change direction and sink his weight and get out in the power in power out, it just wasn't there. And I hate that for him. I hate that for him, But there's nothing. If he could change it, he would have changed it, you know, but injuries happened. But the reason why they got him, he was unable to do those same things that they the reason why they attained them in the first place.
Speaker 1: My biggest surprise with that is just because of how thin they were at linebacker. I was like, even though he hasn't shown that, who do they who else do they have? Now obviously they can use the safeties and that, but it just there's a part of me that's like, man, it just seems thin at that position, not to have Jabril Cox there. So that would be you know that that would probably be at the top of my list of in terms of you know, surprises would be that. And then as you mentioned Lipke and not going with Sean McCune just because you know, even when Mike McCarthy talked about yesterday like saying, when he was asked about mccwne, he was like, yeah, that's those are the tough ones when you have to sit there and tell a player like, yeah, you did everything we asked you to do, but I gotta let you go.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: That's because there's probably a ton of guys you're letting go that you're just like, yeah, but you know we wanted, we need to do this and this and and you couldn't do it. But it sounds like with mckown it was just the numbers thing there. So I would think that he has to be pretty high in their list of guys that they're hoping they can get back.
Speaker 8: And to that point, when we sat down at training camp, I think it was our first talking cowboys in Auxnart, and I kind of brought up how Sean mceuwen was what he was tofu. He was a guy who didn't have a lot of flavor to him. You know, you can you can make it work, you like, but I see I sees him seizing. So McEwen just didn't have a lot to him, but he was consistent, you know. And Linda Wells has backed that up as well. He's like, man, you know what you're gonna get out of him? I think that decision in regards to Lipke over McEwen. Came down to the contributions that would be there on special teams, and I don't think Sean McKowen was as versatile on special teams as Hunter lip Key can be.
Speaker 7: And that's ultimately what I leave.
Speaker 8: It came down to reason being what would you use Sean mchum for on special teams aside from field goal protection?
Speaker 3: Not a whole lot, yeah, because I mean he's not running down field and covering kicks. Right.
Speaker 8: He can't be your personal protector, right, he can't, you know what I mean. He's just so he's very very limited in that regard. Now, would he be willing, I'm sure, could he do it? I'm sure? But there's levels to everything. And I think when you take somebody who was a six one two forty eight, two fifty whatever he is, Okay, who can that.
Speaker 3: That frame peral downfield frame gives you a lot to work with.
Speaker 8: Okay, As a he could he could still be a wing on a field goal block if you really needed to field goal protection if you needed to, But he's not gonna be there, so field goal field goal block, he's not.
Speaker 7: Going to be your guy.
Speaker 8: But on all the other things, coverage, coverage covering kicks, punt and kickoff, kickoff return. He's going to be one of the front line guys or even the backline guy most likely that can sit back there and be the quote unquote new version of a wedge, you know, so he can be versatile in those offerings, so he can be one of your core special teams versus McEwen would not be a core special teamer. And that's the aspect that people are forgetting that Bones Fossil has to have. He has to have six solid guys that he could rely on in every specialist.
Speaker 3: That was gonna be. My next question is do you think Bones Fossil ultimately made this decision. You think it was they went to Bones and said, Okay, we've got a couple guys here. Here's a list of guys. Who do you want out of this list of guys, who is going to be most productive for you in this situation? Because we feel good at tight end, we've got Ferguson, Schoonmaker and Hindershot as offensive weapons. Sure, we would like to rotate a guy in there here and there because they run two tight end sets so often with a guy like Sean McEwan.
Speaker 8: But Hunter Lipke can do a similar thing. I mean he really kind of hybrided. If you're gonna play is he going to play twenty snaps on offense?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 7: No, is he gonna play twenty steps on special teams?
Speaker 3: Probably?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So that's what it ends up coming down.
Speaker 1: Speaking of special teams real quick, were you guys surprised at what happened with Calvin Joseph? I know, when we had talked about cutting down the roster possibly not having them out, were you surprised that they were able to get something in return?
Speaker 3: I want to I want to wait until the second segment because I want to spend the whole segment on it, because it's.
Speaker 1: Kind of a notable move. That's a very notable move. You know that It's easy to overlook it because I think a lot of people are like, it's not like they traded someone that you're like, Man, I knew for I thought for sure that that guy was going to be on the fifty three, and so we had talked about it. So that's not the reason why I mentioned it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do want to talk about it significantly because I mean, whenever you trade for a former first round or for the second time this week. It's kind of something to talk about. Yeah, the then along the lines kind of going back down the list, I mean, jabro Cox was a surprise. Sean McEwan was a surprise. Out of the names that we listed in our show on Monday, we only got four guys wrong. It was those two. The third one was brock Hoffman. We kept brock Hoffman even though we had kind of.
Speaker 1: A don't think I don't think we had a sixth receiver.
Speaker 3: And then we did not have a sixth receiver.
Speaker 1: That's the only one I can think of. Yeah, we didn't have Brooks.
Speaker 3: We I think we cut Brooks too, is Yeah, that was the problem. So yeah, I mean pretty close on what what we thought was going to happen, did you But it's not I mean, ahead, what were you gonna say.
Speaker 7: I was gonna say, it's not fully settled yet, right for real?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like there will be a backup center on this roster that is not in this building right now?
Speaker 3: Good Win?
Speaker 1: Right, I mean again, I know we'll talk about it, but like especially losing Kelvin Joseph, I don't see how they would they need CJ. Goodwin. I mean those are the two top gunners last year. We're a good Win and Joseph so and Trent and they kept Trent Sig too. They're going to bring him back.
Speaker 3: They kept every single one of their draft picks too. By the way, you noticed that as well, because they kept Miles Brooks. Excuse me, uh, I brought Miles Brooks. Miles Brooks got cut unfortunately, uh Eric Scott junior and they got they brought back Jalen Brooks. I mean multiple guys that were late in that draft class. Villiami Fijoco. We kind of knew he was going to be around.
Speaker 5: But then three undrafted guys again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, again the rookie class is it carries a lot of weight in this.
Speaker 1: I told you going into camp they keep three undrafted guys. Don't you think that either Wheat or Land would be one of those guys?
Speaker 3: Yes, I think.
Speaker 1: One of them on the fifth l for Land, that's right, yeah.
Speaker 3: I so interestingly enough, in talking with some of the front office, they had a higher grade on Wheat than they did on Land, but they had a fifth round grade on Wheat. I mean they were very high on Tyrus Wheat.
Speaker 1: They really like to know what their grade was on bass.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. I don't know that one.
Speaker 1: I can ask the athletic We lean heavily on Dane Brugler, and he definitely had a draftable grade.
Speaker 3: I had a fifth round grade.
Speaker 1: Okay, that might have been with Dane had two. Yeah, he definitely was a draftable grade. It was one of those when the draft was over, like Dane's draft guy, he was one of the highest guys that were still out there.
Speaker 3: I'll look into it. I'll see if I can talk to somebody across the street, because I think having Wheat not on this roster kind of shocks me because they were really high on him out of out of school and maybe they bring him back. I mean, he could be one of those guys that gets lost in the cracks and he goes back to the practice squad and you feel pretty good about him. But if they felt that good about him and he just ended up slipping through the cracks and got to the undrafted free agent class, they signed him. Is there another one of the thirty one teams that was looking at him as an undrafted free agent possibility and then didn't sign him back in April?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 8: My mind automatically goes to some of the strategy that goes into the veterans that can't be picked up on waivers, and you know that don't have to try to clear waivers some of these younger guys that we thought that we sat here and cut on Monday but wanted on the practice squad. Some of those guys are retained for now, but may not be by the.
Speaker 7: End of the week. And then you know, hopefully they slipped.
Speaker 8: Through the cracks because everybody's not trying to grab all their practice squad players, you know, at that point in time, and you have a greater probability of a Jalen Brooks or or somebody like that being released and being able to get him back because nobody wants to let go of their guys they already signed.
Speaker 3: Sneak them.
Speaker 8: I mean, there's a lot of that stuff that still could take place by what Friday, I would assume.
Speaker 7: So I don't know.
Speaker 6: I will say every time I see Isaiah Land's name on Twitter, I just want to report the tweet, like.
Speaker 3: Get his name off the time.
Speaker 5: You can't tweet about until noon.
Speaker 3: Get him out of here, all right, everybody and talking Cowboys Nation, No more tweeting about Isaiah Land. We got to keep them for at.
Speaker 5: Least the next forty three minutes. Let's just keep it quiet.
Speaker 3: So that's when the deadline is is forty three minutes from now. That's when what is that deadline exact?
Speaker 6: That'll be the claim waivers deadline. So anybody that is going through the waiver process right now will have to be claimed by eleven am Central time, and we'll see. I think there's going to be at least two guys that the Cowboys will go after for sure. That or that we're not on the roster beforehand.
Speaker 7: That's what I think.
Speaker 3: Do you if that's the case, and I agree, and you see anything, say something, Okay for sure, everybody that's on Twitter see something, say something, and we could just say reports are yeah, we can kind of keep it very generic, but yeah, plenty. Still moving the back and forth. The the strategy that's at hand with building this fifty three man roster continues to ebb and flow here this week and then in the middle of the week. But when we come back here on Talking Cowboys, we alluded to it. The Cowboys trade for a former first rounder for the second time this week.
Speaker 1: I can't wait here.
Speaker 3: You pronounce the name Noah Benogany. Okay, you've worked, I've got you. I got my twenty twenty draft class back here all right, when we come back with more on talking cowboys.
Speaker 11: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 12: Five G requires compatible planning device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot complash five G for you for details.
Speaker 13: Black Rifle Coffee Company Sirs premium coffee to people who love America. When you drink Black Rifle Coffee, you are directly supporting veterans, law enforcement, and first responders in your community. Black Rifles Expert roasters love coffee almost as much as Texas loves football. So it makes sense that America's coffee partner with America's team go online at Black Riflecoffee dot com and fuel up with the official coffee of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: That's Black Riflecoffee dot Com. To fuel up today, Cowboys fans. After that move, we've just coined the term rowdy replay. Let's roll back the table.
Speaker 4: Okay, there's our mascot rowdy cheering on the boys, and now he's on his phone on his Bank of.
Speaker 3: America Mobile Banking app, staying on top of his finances with his virtual financial assistant Erica.
Speaker 4: Bank of America's digital tools are so impressive. Cowboys fans just can't stop banking. Learn more at Bank of America dot com. Slash can't stop banking.
Speaker 3: Evericay, it's only available in the English language. Must download the latest version of the mobile banking app, only available on so white mobile devices. Message in dat raisy, apply a number FDIC.
Speaker 9: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I am so questions with an ice cold can of doctor pepper, Sheila, let's hear from my next caller, would you, dear doctor?
Speaker 2: My friend supported me during a tough time, But what's the right gift that says thanks for being a soldier to cry out.
Speaker 9: Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious Doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do. Now, just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 3: Better to Talking Cowboys. Back here on Talking Cowboys. This portion of the show is brought to you by Quaker Oats, a super trusted superfood. Quaker Oats, the official oatmeal sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Talking Cowboys presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company. By the way, send us a text eight one seven two nine zero three two nine eight shoot your text messages this direction. Ask us about the raw, asks us about the roster building. Any question is good, especially if it comes to where Isaiah got his tucks the other day for the Emmy nomination and the Emmy Award show, because I want to know as well. So Holme's got some chamber, goeh, got something ready to go?
Speaker 1: As in a rental or this is real?
Speaker 10: What?
Speaker 7: Okay? I scoured the universe for suits and Texas.
Speaker 1: He actually just don't have enough important things to go do to own a tux. I'd like to have I'd like to have a few suits, but I just don't feel like I do enough that I could utilize the tucks enough.
Speaker 8: I actually went shopping yesterday just you know. There's a couple of spots I go to listen for everybody that needs suits or tuxes.
Speaker 7: You about to give up this, I'm no, no, I'm gonna get plug. I'm not geting paid by the body.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 8: But there are a couple of spots that you go to right now if you want to pay for your boy, I'll give you a shot out. Oh, this is the time of the year for those that need suits. Okay, this is when you go and you look for suit deals because they're transitioning seasons. They're going from summer to fall and they have to get rid of stuff, so you ol during this time you go to your local suit stores whatever those are, okay, and that's when you go straight Today They're like, how can I help you today?
Speaker 7: Where are your cells? And you go there and you get everything for the lo lo huh.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you're back here on talking fashion.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Lol. You know, I didn't get an invite to go shopping.
Speaker 8: This is the only thing I did it right. For our picture where you at, I was moving. I had to I had to pack the box of the house.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sorry, guys, apologies, but yeah. So there you go. There's Isaiah looking fresh as always. I dare you to wear a suit on Friday to the show tomorrow, but you'll wear one tomorrow. Fine, all right? No what Benogany is now a piece of the Dallas Cowboys secondary. Cowboys trade former second round pick Kelvin Joseph second round pick in twenty twenty one, to the Miami Dolphins, just to straight up cornerback trade. And really it was a similar situation, but just one more year down the line and one more round up for IgG Benogany as opposed to Calvin Joseph because he was drafted in twenty twenty he was a first round pick and then turns around and is in Miami in a crowded secondary, and they were looking at ways to either cut him or release him or trade him, and Dallas said, well, let's see if a change of scenery can help both of these teams out. But I really like to deal overall, because you don't necessarily lose anything except for one of those fifty three roster spots. That's the only thing I think you might lose in this scenario. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, I think it's set.
Speaker 6: If they were wanting to covin Joseph instead of cutting him, you get a guy for him, and a guy who is a former first round pick, as you said, probably a guy that probably should have been in the second round coming out of that twenty three draft, but nevertheless he got late first. Noah, Igbinoghany, he's still twenty three. He's younger than Kelvin somehow, And I like it because, like you said, there's nothing to lose. If it doesn't work out, then okay, then you know you've lost the roster spot that you were gonna give up. Anyway, it does work out, then everyone looks smart and everyone's happy. I think for Igbinoghany, you know, he's more of a boundary guy. Kelvin was more of an inside guy. It's gonna work out great for Kelvin in Miami because they need an inside guy to kind of fill in and play some time there. He's gonna get a ton of reps this year. He will be playing on Christmas Eve if he's healthy, knock on wood, and then Noah Igbinoghany, he will be able to sit behind Stefan Gilmour and Trayvon Diggs, which you know, just depending on how long Stefan Gilmour is here. Who knows by the time that he's you know, getting to his father time noggbnogan, he's ready to step in. So I don't hate the move. And you know, if you're thinking optimistically, then it works out. But if you're thinking pessimistically, which is honestly probably the more realistic option at times, then probably you see know what Igbinoghany not working out down the line just because of what he's not been able to do on the field as a first round pick for Miami. But I think, I think if you're thinking optimistically, then this is a good trade here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems like both teams are trying to maybe get somebody that can jumpstart their career with just a change of scenery. You know, hey, this isn't working out here, this isn't working out here. Let's try and make a move and maybe it'll work out for at least one of the two. I just keep going back to that twenty twenty draft because there was just such an emphasis I get in a corner. Yeah, And I remember just all those mocks leading up to that draft that you know, you got top ten pick, you you gotta be able to get certain or or j C. Horn out of that, and then they go both go boom boom right there, and then you just have to, I guess, deal with taking Micael Parsons and just see so make the best of it. But it just felt like after that it was like they were trying to really get a corner, no matter how whoever it was going to be it with that second round pick, hoping that you get the same return on investment they did when they got Trayvon Diggs and it just never worked out. So I think for them to get something, even even if this doesn't work out, it's better than just you know, outright releasing him.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And some of the guys that corner that went after kill the Joseph there was only one other corner in the second.
Speaker 1: I'm a huge Floor to State football fan, I really, but I know his size doesn't fit what they were looking for.
Speaker 3: The size wasn't what they wanted, But I wanted him so bad, and it was a Sante Samuel junior out of Florida State, And he was the only other second round corner that year. After that, Paulson Adebo corner from Stanford went in the third round. A little bit further down, there was a run of corners later after Nashan Wright. Actually it was then nay Sean Wright, followed by a few Melifan Wu from Syracuse and Brandon Stevens from SMU.
Speaker 5: That was good at this pronunciation. Things do a lot of research.
Speaker 1: I never was I never thought of Calvin Joseph as being like a first round quality player. Like so you know how some people talked, go for it, say it, you know, going in then draft, people talked a little bit about he had like first round two. I just never saw that.
Speaker 3: I didn't either, And honestly, let me go to my grade. I keep all my grades for all these guys I had. Yeah, I had Kelvin Joseph as the seventeenth ranked corner in that class.
Speaker 5: So it's corner third, mid third, late third, that's like late fourth, late fourth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like one one ninth was his overall grade. But yeah, I had one nineteen. The one thing I liked about him was a speed He ran a four to three four with a one four to fourth split.
Speaker 1: So my whole thing about when it comes to like the pre draft stuff, is it just you just don't really know what's going on behind the scenes, Like you know, you can watch a player in that, but you don't know what it could be off the field other stuff like that. And clearly the teams have that advantage to get a chance to meet with guys and things like that. I remember multiple people went from the Cowboys organization, you know, to Kentucky, uh to scout him. I want to say Dan Quinn went. Maybe Dan went with Will I think he did because they got Bohanna and Calvin Ei of that.
Speaker 3: Yep, I think you're right.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that was a tough year to draft too, though, because that was coming off the COVID year.
Speaker 3: I don't think there was no combin no combine right, no combine well.
Speaker 1: By writers that The Athletic wrote about that with the lance thing that yeah, maybe it was a bad time for one of our niners. Writers wrote about that, like, yeah, this might have been a bad time to gamble on a quarterback to trade three first round picks just because there was so much uncertainty going into that draft class.
Speaker 5: Yeah, limited experience too. It's fascinating to me.
Speaker 3: What do you guys think about iggbonogamy and kind of the rotation there now because nay Sean Wright is still on this team, you have on the back end, is you mcwualm who's still on this team? You have some boundary guys. I know mcwam who plays both. But do you feel like he can find a way into the rotation as a guy like this or are they going to try and fit him into that rotation with now that Kelvin's gone, Are they going to force some of the iggbanogany opportunities? Maybe?
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I think I don't know.
Speaker 8: I think some of these guys again and just goes to the specialist because you have your solid three dbs for this team and then you have a horde of safeties, so you're on the field with six dbs most of the time. Yeah, and it's gonna be hard to break that rotation. It's just really it just really is because those guys aren't really rotating out, they're not coming off the field. They're almost like old light man. They just don't really come out at least at the quarterback position. So I think, you know, obviously the depending on the health of Jay Lou, that's always going to play a part into some of these guys opportunities as well how long it takes for him to really touch the field. But I think aside for their fourth guy up, and if you have to talk about, like, well, who's the fourth guy to touch the field at the cornerback position, I think I have to go with probably Nashaw until Jay Lou gets healthy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Yeah, I think he would play by necessity like Monogheny. Yeah, and hopefully that necessity is not experienced. Yeah, because that would take a couple of guys getting injured. I think I think that would take one of either Trayvon or staff On and then na Sean Wright.
Speaker 8: So I think I can say again, I know he keeps saying special teams like both also I think had his hand.
Speaker 7: On a lot of these decisions.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I really, I really believe that because he lost, Like I've mentioned it before, he lost two core special teamers Luke Gifford last year, Noah Brown last year, and then you Kelvin Joseph this year.
Speaker 7: Those are three of his six core special teamers.
Speaker 1: He's probably helping for something out of uh the Marvin overshown too.
Speaker 7: Absolutely. I know, you know, I talked to him about a couple weeks ago. He was heartbroke.
Speaker 6: He had taken that Gifford role for Yeah, so who takes those roles? In your opinion, we got Jalen Brooks that probably takes to know.
Speaker 7: Ye yeah, yep, one ye is that guy. But Bill Jua ye Bill, both.
Speaker 3: Of those guys with them are here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 3: So they still went heavy in safety in corner like secondary was heavy, kind of like what we expected. I mean, we took twelve guys between the two and they ended up with thirteen.
Speaker 8: Right, I mean because the versatility with that size, you could do a lot. Yeah, I mean you could do a lot. I mean that's why all the injuries Eye sustained. I was able to keep jobs just because of the versatility. If you're if you have good size, you got speed, and you and you are willing to go out there and put your head in there and get some contact, You're gonna have plenty opportunities.
Speaker 1: So are we seeing the NFL? You know how, there's obviously the devaluing of the wide receiver, I mean the running back position, Like how how like is it going to start affecting linebacker like this because like you know, jay Ryn Curse is talking to the locker room today about how you know the way that everyone's spreading you out nowadays in the NFL, you're getting more and more safeties in there. Is it gonna start getting to a point where like team and just really have two or three traditional linebackers and then have a bunch of dB type guys like that.
Speaker 8: It's all predicated on the type of offenses that you're seeing now. Yeah, I mean back in the day it was run heavy. Yeah, so you need to be this big linebacker. Now if the league's pass heavy, so you don't need as many big guys because you have to be able to cover you know, Kyle receiver.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, right, So the game's changed now. You can say those are directly connected, honestly, because the devaluation of the running back position leads to the devaluation of the linebacker position. It also goes back to the big nickel. You think about the way that teams run the big nickel now, like it's just a normal base defense as opposed to ten. Fifteen years ago, teams didn't run the big nickel but at all unless it was a specific scheme, and now it's almost a normal thing in the l NFL because of the way the tight ends are utilized in the versatility of the passing game. And honestly, I think it also has to do a lot with a lot with the RPO too, and the way that the run pass option has come into play, because if you talk about the RPO, linebackers need to read for like one or two plays and then the rest of it, it's the secondary that's who's really doing a lot of the reading and a lot of the covering.
Speaker 1: That was It was interesting today, like when Mike McCarthy was out there with Tree Lance, they were they were working on a little bit of that, a little bit yeah, about how they like to hold the ball and like if in their style and then pull it back and things like that.
Speaker 7: It was interesting.
Speaker 3: That is super interesting. One last thing on Noah Igbinogay. Have y'all ever just gone back and looked at the twenty twenty draft class of corners and how odd this was. I'm just gonna go now, I'm just going to go down the list. These are the guys that I had him ranked. This isn't the way that that they went, but you'll recognize some of the guys. Jeff Okuda already traded in good did not work top top ten pick.
Speaker 5: I thought he was going to be I thought he was dude.
Speaker 3: I had him number number five overall player uh CJ Henderson, Oof, Jeff Gladney, the late Jeff Gladney, H Christian Fulton. He's been okay, He's been okay in the league. AJ Terrell has been great, Trayvon Diggs has been great. Then it goes Damon arnettof Jalen Johnson, Oof, Cameron Danceler, and Noah Eggbinogady goodness. So just just a roller coaster of corners at this point in that twenty twenty draft class that just didn't work out. That was also the same draft class that the Cowboys took Reggie Robinson the second in the fourth round.
Speaker 1: So just oh, yeah, you got about him. Yeah, I wonder what he's up to.
Speaker 3: I don't know care.
Speaker 8: I know I did about Will Greer getting shoot. Yeah, but he chose not to come back here, right, isn't that a practice squad?
Speaker 7: You get to choose where you go. It's not that's not a pickup. You get the your agent cause you.
Speaker 1: I think that he I think he got claimed, so I don't think. I don't know if he has a saying that I could.
Speaker 7: Be a practice squad would be wrong.
Speaker 3: Claimed you.
Speaker 1: Fifty three practice squad.
Speaker 7: You get to choose.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Patrick Walker told me earlier in the week that you if you're claimed off waivers, you can either go there or stay where you're at.
Speaker 5: Now, don't come at me, come come at no seat.
Speaker 7: But he's signed, yeah, character yeah, so he so he he chose to go to Cincinnati.
Speaker 5: But that makes sense.
Speaker 3: Why before here, I understood.
Speaker 8: What I'm saying about after coach McCarthy's comments about how he would love to have Will Grear back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I know, I get it, I get it.
Speaker 8: I just thought that was interesting because Will had probably had a chance to come back here and he was like, yeah.
Speaker 7: No, I appreciate a coach. But now I'm good. I'm going over here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm looking at since he's depth chart, I was trying to do the same.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he'll be three I any of their backup is but he won't be I don't think he said it's.
Speaker 3: One of those career backups, one of the long Yeah, Jake Browning, so you dope. Yeah, that's only I said, career backup. That's all he was. He was prime brown after not.
Speaker 7: He does not fit the mold of us.
Speaker 5: That's the second best watched the quarterback.
Speaker 10: I know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jake, I was about to say each was really good. I'm calling warm moon right now. All right, let's let's take.
Speaker 11: Jake.
Speaker 3: Send us a text. We're gonna answer some questions when we come back on the Cowboys podcast. Text line eight nine zero three two nine A shoot us a text message when we come back on Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 2: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit Unitedagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 13: Are you ready to take coffee off your grocery list forever? Black Rifle Coffee Club is here to help. As a Coffee Club member, you'll get your favorite coffees, roasted package and ship to your door free of charge on your preferred schedule.
Speaker 3: Set it, forget it, and never run low on coffee again.
Speaker 13: Members also get exclusive deals on coffee products and discounts from partner brands. Ease your mind and let Black Rifle worry about your coffee supply. Go to Black Rifle Coffee dot com to join the coffee club today.
Speaker 10: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping.
Speaker 3: The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy whipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 11: Tod thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G. Fast reliable, secure.
Speaker 3: It's not come kitted.
Speaker 12: Five G requires compatible planning device. Five G may not be available in your areas. He att dot com slash five G for you for details to Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Back here on Talking Cowboys. This segment is brought to you by in visi Line, the official smile of the Dallas Cowboys. John Machoda, Nick Harris, Isaiah standback. I'm Kyle yeomans Uh. A couple text line questions popping in or not even just a question on this one eight one seven two nine zero three two nine x or nine to eight is the text line. Sorry, I was reading ahead, talking over Kyle Frain eight one seven two nine zero three two nine eight is the Cowboys text line.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 3: The four to h one says congrats Isaiah and Kyle Beam is the MVP. He said, just have a comment for you guys. Mike McCarthy loves the fullback. No way, Hunter Wicky wasn't making this team. That's George from Rhode Island fans since nineteen eighty one.
Speaker 1: My argument would be, then, I would you play a guy that much in that last preseason game, because there's that last preseason game is tricky because there's sometimes where you're playing a guy a lot because you wanted to show you something. But then there's other guys like I'll give you a good example, like Jalen Brooks. You don't think he needed to play like They're like, I don't know, Like I felt like they now looking back on it, knowing what we know, they're probably like, yeah, we've seen enough there, But I don't. I just don't think they let Lipke play that much. If it was like, oh no, no, we already know that you're on the roster. I think that the way he played in that game worked a spot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I completely agree with you, because.
Speaker 1: I think more so than anybody else in that game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, he said it. He said it.
Speaker 3: Karthy said that, I think you also play the factor of when when he had the start to camp, there was a lot of I mean, there were expectations. I really liked Hunter Lipky too, but the expectation was that he was going to be a versatile athletic blocker, slash, well rounded receiver and YadA YadA YadA, and he could do a whole lot of different things. And then he just never really could show the balance for the vision or whatever it ended up being in these practices to show, hey, he's worth taking one of those fifty three roster spots. And then the way he played with Will Greer in that final preseason game was finally an aha, like, Oh, that's that's what we were looking for, Like, that's the moment we were looking for. You and I were sitting in the booth and we were kind of joking with each other back and forth, like he's going to mess around and make this team. But I don't know if we really believed that until like the second half, whenever it was like, Okay, I think he actually is going to play in and make his make his way onto the team.
Speaker 6: When he had those back to back receptions that eventually led into the touchdown. That's when I was like, Okay, he's at least cemented a practice squad spot. Sure, but it still surprised me that he made the fifty three. It still surprises me. But having a fullback like John Coon, when Mike McCarthy had that during his days at Green Bay, and that just wants you, that wants you feed in for the next one.
Speaker 5: He wants it back.
Speaker 3: Find a way.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well.
Speaker 5: Exactly.
Speaker 1: Also, you know, parting ways with Ezekiel Elliott took way one of your bigger backs like that that you could use in goal line situation, shortyard and stuff like that. So I know we had talked about before, like back when we were out knock start about the whole idea of like if they don't have one of these bigger backs, are they going to get Maybe they think that from what they've seen from him, he can fill a little bit of that role.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you this one hundred.
Speaker 6: Look he scores a touchdown this year, I'm going to be ruthless the next day on the show, I'm going to be unbearable.
Speaker 3: Can you get a jersey? It's just like it's hard to cover Jason.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we'll make it work now that he made the fifty three. It's in the works, it's already done. Oh No, I just love fullbacks. I'm a big full because you are a fullback. Stand you was your favorite fullback. I really like used Check And that's probably recency biased, but I love you Check, I really do.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 1: I grew up around the whole Darryl Moose, Johnston, Tom Rathman. Yeah, like it was just such a big part of whenever you know, Cowboys Niners and that. I don't I feel bad for you though, because I think the game's going away from that.
Speaker 6: It is, it is.
Speaker 5: That's why I love him so much. To be able to find a niche in this league at a position like that, it's tough.
Speaker 3: It's a throwback to throwback, all right. Anthony from Seattle up there in the Pacific Northwest, He says, what decisions do you think the team will make once Ronald Jones is off suspension, especially if the running backs currently perform well, Isaiah, what do you think about the running back position? Because Ronald Jones is still sticking around, at least at the moment.
Speaker 7: At least at the moment, what question.
Speaker 5: Is he counting towards the fifty three? I think he has to he is, right, that's so interesting.
Speaker 7: Sorry, No, I really don't.
Speaker 8: I don't see a role currently for him. I also don't see them carrying all these running backs. So something's going to happen over the next few days. I feel I'll just stand by.
Speaker 5: In the position group in that position.
Speaker 7: You're not keeping all those guys, h absolutely not, No, absolutely.
Speaker 3: They kept four of the five. The only one that they cut was Malik Davis.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's a lot.
Speaker 8: Yeah you think, I mean, right now, you got TP Jones, Rico, Yep, Duce Lipkey, that's true.
Speaker 3: I didn't even count Lipkey.
Speaker 7: You're you're keeping five guys in that room.
Speaker 3: You're just not that's not gonna happen. All right? What about this one? This is from big Time Cowboy Fan. That's that's his name, from Longview your roots. Have you guys heard of any offensive linemen that they may sign. You talked about a couple of names, maybe not specific names. Eighteen minutes, but yeah, we got we got eighteen minutes of this deadline. Do you think the do you think the offensive line is a spot where they will add talent. They will go and add somebody up front. Just just on your inkling, just you're are you.
Speaker 6: Asking for a name or the position group center center for sure? Okay, yeah, one thousand center, Yeah, go.
Speaker 3: And get a backup center. Yeah. Do you have any names? I don't Okay, I do not make sure, John, but I.
Speaker 6: Do feel for the scouts who do know the names, because they were up all night this past night.
Speaker 7: I feel for those.
Speaker 1: I got some sleep, Travis Frederick, I don't have anybody now.
Speaker 3: That would be nice. Uh, okay, here's here's a good one. How about this? This is Dano says he's from the two o three, says, very surprised to see that Neville Gallimore stuck around? Is he missing something? He said? Am I missed something?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 1: It don't really start. I feel like, I mean they needed another we tackle. That's I mean, Mazzie and Hankins fit together and there really wasn't anybody else buying Osa. So he's your next guy up. And also man, like we talked. We've talked many at times about how hard it is to find backup like offensive lineman. Nobody's letting good defensive tackles go. No like you're not going to find somebody out there on the I mean to be honest with you, I was pretty surprised that they were able to get Hankins last year, Like I mean, for what they gave up for him and then the impact that he had, I mean, that's I think that's been a pretty good value as long as he can stay healthy. So defensive tackles just a tough spot.
Speaker 8: So Gallmore's an agile, he's a big He's a big boy, especially when he's healthy.
Speaker 3: He's full.
Speaker 7: He's best of both worlds. I mean, you know, you got so who's getting there.
Speaker 8: He's a penetrator, you know, create some disruption in back though, but gallum work can clog things up, and he can get vertical and he can run some stuff down.
Speaker 5: So he's got really good aerodynamics.
Speaker 7: Exactly.
Speaker 6: It was gonna come down to Gallimore and Bohanna and Gallimore had a really good camp for if you were looking at that battle.
Speaker 5: Gallimore won that for sure. So it doesn't surprise me that he made it by any means.
Speaker 3: Jason from Pennsylvania says, can players be added to the practice squad throughout the year if injuries add up? Yes, you can you can add and drop from the practice squad as the year goes along, So that's a good question. But yeah, it's sixteen men and then you can elevate two right per week, but you can only do that for each player three times. You get three elevations from the pack. Least.
Speaker 1: That's how it was last year. Unless there's been a rule.
Speaker 3: They switched it. I don't think they have. I think that a lot of that was switched during the COVID year and then they kept it and it's been that way ever since. So yes, Jason, can you can add and subtract? This is from the four to six nine. It says Rocho doesn't count toward the fifty three man roster he's on the suspended list, but I don't he.
Speaker 1: Definitely doesn't count for the fifty three. They have already had fifty three guys in the roster.
Speaker 3: And Rojo doesn't. Isn't one of those. No, so you can put somebody on the spind it. I haven't dealt with this in a long long time.
Speaker 1: It has to be just because he was suspended before. But no, I mean, like I count right when they did all the roster cuts, I listed every all fifty three guys in there, and I did not have him as one of gotcha.
Speaker 3: So there's your clarification. I did, Like I said, we haven't had to deal with the suspended list.
Speaker 1: What was his name?
Speaker 3: This is Rojo or no who oh sorry? Or it was just from the four six shutof six four six nine doing a great job. But yeah, So there's a couple roster cuts and questions along the way, and we'll continue to break it down. I mean when we get back on the air on Friday, we will have plenty more to talk about it. Absolutely, there's gonna be more movement, more studying to be done. I'm going to do a film study on Noah Igbinoghany and what he did in Miami, because I'd be lying to tell you if I watched this.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna do a pronunciation study and get this day say. I'm not gonna say, come on, I gotta work on it.
Speaker 5: There is a YouTube video that you know it pronounces his name perfectly.
Speaker 3: Okay for him to nah Nahodny Giggy.
Speaker 1: I'm confident that I'll get it down, just because, to me, the most difficult name I've ever seen was Anti Takoupo and I was like, but you know what, he's gonna be good for a long time. I'm just gonna keep saying. I'm gonna keep saying, I'm keep saying and eventually, you know, he's become like a household name. But the first time I saw that in the back of a jersey, I was like, I got no chance at this thing.
Speaker 6: You know what was really difficult for me in my recruiting days was DJA having to spell that as well.
Speaker 5: So, yeah, that I had to get down.
Speaker 6: There's them, there's a lot of and he has a lot of brothers that are really good, so I had to deal with.
Speaker 5: That name for a long time.
Speaker 3: Albert again, Yeah, I thought it was OUI.
Speaker 1: I said, So there's a lot of in all different ways.
Speaker 3: Man, Alberto Quabnam who's now a free agent, tied end Alberdo, Jared la Machia.
Speaker 5: That's a big throwback there.
Speaker 3: How about that. Let's just start naming names. That's what dudes can do is sit around a table and just name all that.
Speaker 1: polyN, I'm telling you, the first one I thought it, when you, like we were talking on the break in that Washington thing, was Marcus.
Speaker 7: That wasn't names we had to do name.
Speaker 1: Oh damn, but you can pronounce that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's my brother though.
Speaker 5: Bromates.
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what he does. H Bill Kilmer, Sonny Jergensen, Joe, thisman. Are these all Washington quarterbacks? No, I don't. I think they're Washington commanders commander's quarterbacks. But we're talking about you, Dub. And then then he said Warren Moon at the end, so I think that's I think he flipped it. That was one of the texts that that's the absolutely absolutely Warren. Yes. I mean we were walking around.
Speaker 1: Seattle, Napoleon cough, not even a question.
Speaker 3: Can you get Warren Moon on the show one day?
Speaker 7: Probably?
Speaker 3: Can you do that?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: You guys are friends like that.
Speaker 7: There's only three of us, four of us in history at the school. We stayed pretty close.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, Friday, I'm talking cowboys.
Speaker 1: That's cool.
Speaker 3: All right, let's uh well, uh, that's it for us. Let's go Dan into I know it's fairy quick. Every time we get into it. I feel like we can keep you going. But that does it for us here today. We'll be back on Friday. It is ten am right as.
Speaker 5: Far as I know. Yes, yes, there's nothing going on Friday, so yes week.
Speaker 3: Ten am Central Time on Friday. Glad you've been able to join us for Chris Beam, Isaiah stand Back, John Mitchoa, Nick Harris. I'm Kyle Yoman saying so long from Talking Cowboys. We'll see you on Friday. This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.