Speaker 1: So you have to just launch yourself. You just have to physically launch yourself out of the bed.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, it was, and I literally think of that. I did it this morning.
Speaker 1: I was like, I was like fighting, I was like, I'm so tired, I don't feel like getting up, and I was like, launch, bitch, launch launch.
Speaker 2: And I just launched myself out of the bed.
Speaker 1: That is so funny.
Speaker 2: We're doing it now, but it works more and.
Speaker 3: More and more better, better, a little bit more better more.
Speaker 2: Welcome to More Beta, a podcast where we stop pretending to have it all together and embrace the journey of becoming a little more.
Speaker 1: Better every day, or at least trying. So that's Melissa for Marrow, and that's Stevanie Beatrice. We're doing our best Marissa, Tomay and my cousin Vinny right now, how do you guys like, we're not going to do the whole podcast like that, and we just we're not going to.
Speaker 2: Do that to you. Yeah, we're just just how are you.
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm okay. How are you doing? Yeah? I mean same.
Speaker 2: I sprayed a bunch of hairspray in my hair this morning thinking it was dry shampoo.
Speaker 1: That's that's a fun moment.
Speaker 2: That was a that was a fun time, and it really I think I'm had.
Speaker 1: You know, do you ever have like like foggy days where you just feel like kind of slow. I don't know if it's sleep or I got to I don't know, girl, You're just like I feel like I'm like fucking an airhead. Like I sprayed that hairspray on and I was like, why the fuck is it so wet?
Speaker 2: Like it took me so long to realize. And then I sprayed more and I was like, why.
Speaker 1: Is it wet?
Speaker 2: Wait? Why is my wet? And I was like brushing it and I was like, why is it sticky?
Speaker 1: And then when I saw that three years of my life probably four, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then when I saw the bottle, I was like, oh my god, you fucking idiot, Like why didn't you realize right away that it was Because you didn't it's fine.
Speaker 1: I thought there was.
Speaker 2: Something wrong with the dry shampoo. There was something wrong with me. Dry shampoo is not very good for your hair, you know that, right? Why tell me more?
Speaker 1: Because it can clog the pores in your I mean it's fine for like once in a while, but like it can clog the pores on your scalp and kind of like over time they can create like an unhealthy scalp that's like not breathing properly, and it can make you like not have as much hair growth and just not as healthy of a head of hair. Oh yeah, I don't.
Speaker 2: Use it that much. I just was lazy about washing my hair this week.
Speaker 1: And so I sometimes it's it is a necessary evil. Yeah, sometimes it's okay. I use it when it's necessary. You don't want to be using it, like I didn't wash my hair, yeah, no, do every other Yeah no. But I feel like when dry shampoo first made the scene, people were like, oh, I use it every day, like I don't really need to shampoo my hair anymore. And I was like, ah, I don't.
Speaker 2: Think that's what I don't Oh no, no, I don't think so I have noticed.
Speaker 1: I don't love Yeah, like I can't do dry shampoo two days in a row because actually, now that I think of it, what you were just saying, I don't like it does make your scalp feel a little nasty, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I just do it like to extend one extra day or something and then like like I'm going to wash my hair tonight because it's gross because now it's got all this here spray in it. Now, yeah, obviously it's rumtinen to. Now I do it sometimes a piltts like they've got like the nice ones. So I'll do it like a little bit because I'm allowetty, what have you been doing? It's more better. I'll go first first, I'll go first.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you go, you go, you go.
Speaker 1: I'm cleaning my office. I'm like rearranging my office or not rearranging, but like you know, it's just like organ piles up, piles up, piles up, you know. Yep, there were so many. There was like a stack I'm not even kidding of journals like this big, and like I don't really journal, so what ends like journaling? We know, jo I love a little notebook. I drop pictures, I write myself little notes, and they fill up, like they'll fill up. So I had a huge stack of little journals that were just like filled with crap like notes I'd taken on calls or meetings or like drawings that I've done of like our kitchen like renovation from three years ago or whatever. So I threw those out. I went through a bunch of paper stuff. I like gathered a bunch of Roses drawings to put in her box. Like now I'm just like now it's just the detritus of the the end of it, you know what I mean. But like I'm doing. I moved my printer over because it was on my desk and I hated how it looked, and I moved it and doing it nice. I reorganized my shelves, my like cabinets, and I got a corkboard. Finally, I really am doing it, yes, And I didn't put pressure on myself to get it all done in one day because I saw a Tikie talkie where she was like, you say the Thinkyki said that your perfectionism is part of the reason that you're paralyzed, and like your desire that's rue, your desire to have it be like well, like if I do this and I need like bins, and like what kind of bins do I need? And then like I can't I'm gonna and then you can't start right, So like in this in this tiky talkie, she was like, just start. It doesn't have to be perfect. You just just start, and you might not get it all done and that's okay, just like just start. And I was like, yeah, I could just start. I could just start doing stuff. And so I'm I'm doing it and it's going really great. Yay. I've been doing a bunch of little organizing too, like little by little, like just yeah, just start, that's good stuff in the house and just h no, I like stuff, but yeah I don't like trash.
Speaker 2: Well just yeah, yeah, But like you said, things pile up.
Speaker 1: Like I have these two folders in the kitchen that I use for during the school year to just throw stuff of the boys that I might want to keep or save at the end of the year, you know what I mean, Like yeah, an extra special little cute drawing or like end so this really cute like all about me. And I was like, oh, I kind of want to He does them every year, and I was like, I kind of want.
Speaker 2: To save these.
Speaker 1: It might be fun, like to read it as high school graduation or something that's And so I just keep these folders where I can just throw shit there like really fast, and then at the end of the year, I like go through it and organize it, which I never did.
Speaker 2: At the end of last school year. So there was the two folders then also just like a bunch of other fucking papers, and I finally went through it today or yesterday, and literally everything else was garbage. It was just garbage.
Speaker 1: It was just sapors and bullshit that we didn't need anymore that you could see. Oh, I was saving this for this number that I wrote down here, But then I took care of that and I forgotten, like whatever got this paper was here. I forgot this was even here. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, literally threw everything away and then took out the stuff from the folders of last year, which didn't have that much, which I was also kind of proud of myself that I didn't oversave things that I was like selective. And so now it's just just the two folders there by themselves, and it looks so nice. It looks so much cleaner, and.
Speaker 1: All your problems are solved once you finish those two whole house was clean. That is how it feels. Sometimes it's like it does feel like.
Speaker 2: You attack one little corner and you're like, I did it. I am a becking superhero. Had everyone noticed this corner?
Speaker 1: I hope everybody notices next time they come in my office that the printer is over on the other corn because my desk feels ten times bigger. I also found oh, look at that sweet picture of being Joe.
Speaker 2: It's like a pencil or charcoal draw.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Someone on I think on Twitter or something was like, hey, I drew your dog and I was like, that's incredible, and then they sent it to me like I can't remember, like, but yeah, Steve Buchmi is sister or someone. Maybe we'll take a picture of this and put it on the Instagram so you guys can see my dog. He really looks just like you. I met Steve Buchemi because he and I worked on the same movie together, and he came up and was like, Hi, we didn't have any scenes together, but I just wanted to introduce myself and it's so nice to meet you. And I was like, it was on the tip of my dog.
Speaker 2: I was like, I can't. I was about to say, I can't tell someone that they look like your dog. You can't do that.
Speaker 1: So I didn't do it.
Speaker 2: But I know it's not an insult. It is an It's part.
Speaker 1: Of why I wanted to get the dog. Anyway, Yeah, more better. So today we're talking about mornings. I think I said this one because I've been having trouble with this. Sometimes I'm really good at this. Sometimes I'm really good at having mornings like get me off to a great start, and other times I'm horrific at it. So what's your like, do you think you're a morning person or no?
Speaker 2: One hundred percent.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: I have become a more of a morning person by force, by sheer life. Yeah, I'm grateful to Brooklyn nine nine and having those six thirty am call.
Speaker 2: Times and those weren't even that early. Those weren't even that early.
Speaker 1: No. I on the on Gross Point Garden Society, the show I just did on Mondays, I had a.
Speaker 2: Like five thirty am call time. I had to wake up at.
Speaker 1: Like four in the morning, yes to four four thirty in the morning to get there on time. And that was just like wake up, have some coffee, and like get in the car, like not even a thing like a hang morning, like I because it was so far from where you were living. Because they were like it was like a twenty minute drive. No, it was just like a twenty minute drive. But yeah, that's still it wasn't close. But Brooklyn prepared me for motherhood because my oldest and so my first, the ultimate early morning, the ultimate early ultimate. He his little baby ass woke up at five am, so he was like four, like he now, thank god he's nine now nine and a half. I think today it's the weekend. Everybody woke up around seven ish, which is very new in our house and feels like sleeping in locking crazy. That's crazy to me.
Speaker 2: I know, you have a child that sleeps.
Speaker 1: She did sleep. So I woke up this morning at six seven thirty and it was like, oh my god. We were like, what is happening because she's well rested now yesterday, Well she's well rested because we put her on a schedule. It's a whole thing. It's a sidebar, but like she's on a more of a schedule now. And she woke up with seven thirty and she was like singing in a room.
Speaker 3: Eh.
Speaker 2: Honestly, seven thirty is so luxurious.
Speaker 1: I know, for an offer for f a Bratto, it's not Brad, Brad, it's not are you yes, one hundred percent? I would prefer That's what's so hard for me when I do a theater job, because I love doing theater I absolutely love it. But by the time you wind yourself down at the end of the night, you're just like goog gog gogiga until two am, and then your morning is shot, and then the rest of the day is just like you're just gearing up to do the show that's seven pm at night, you know. So like I just it's a weird.
Speaker 2: I love working at night so much.
Speaker 1: I would rather have two days in my day. I want to have two days in my day. I want to have my morning time and that's my day, and then I want to have the the other day, which is like the rest of the working time. So like I would get up and this is not a brag, this is just because it's for my mental health.
Speaker 2: I would get up it works for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, during not during Brooklyn as much, but like during Twisted Metal, I would get up at like four because I wanted to get in a workout and I was like, oh, the only way I'm going to get to work out, it's the only way I'm going to have coffee by myself. So the only way I'm going to have time to look at my lines. That's that's the time, Like that is the time. That's the only time.
Speaker 2: That's incredible.
Speaker 1: It's a little It's also like I go to bed at nine thirty, you know what I mean. Like still, I don't know. I don't watch TV now, right, I mean, yeah, that's the thing. That's why I don't watch TV. I love TV so much. But yeah, it's like I with the kids early morning schedule. I'm so tired, I'm falling asleep.
Speaker 2: You know. I try to watch a show and I freaking fall asleep.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's pretend for a second we don't have kids. What would be like your perfect morning, Like what would be the perfect Just pretend you're like in an alternate universe where like Melissa doesn't show a kid and there's maybe no David. You're just like whatever, Well, it's hard.
Speaker 2: I don't know how it.
Speaker 1: Feels because I'm like a little bit older. I do like working out in the morning, but I can't work out it four in the morning, Like I can't wake up and like work out right away. I work out right after I drop off the kids at school, which is like seven forty five, So I work out around like eight fifteen, eight thirty. Pretend you don't have kids. Pretend you don't have kids, pretend you to have kids. But if I don't have kids, well, so I before I had kids, I was a workout at night person. Okay, I was a workout either in the late afternoon or even like I remember when I lived in New York going to like six pm big room yoga classes. Yeah, and I did that, eating dinner and like you know, watching a show and going to bed. God, that was the fucking best, Like I was. That's like the mornings were just kind of like waking up like whatever, having coffee, having breakfast, going to work, and then after work working out and then having dinner and like watching TV until it was time to go to bed like that.
Speaker 3: Oh. I know.
Speaker 1: Especially I think if you have like a job, like your New York job was very like you're here from this time to this time kind of right, well it was at that point I'm thinking like soap opera years, which I wasn't always there late, I feel like it was like go in for Yeah, it was like almost kind of close to like a regular job.
Speaker 2: I also didn't work every day.
Speaker 1: Right, They've got some storylines and stuff, because they've got so many storylines. But I just remember, I don't feel like that show shot super late. I feel like they rapped. I mean sometimes they did, but I.
Speaker 2: Feel like they always wrapped around like seven six or seven pm. It was like just like a twelve hour day or ten hour day.
Speaker 1: I don't remember, but I just I remember like going to shoot and then like going home, going to the gym, and yeah, I could just do that workout at the end of the day, and then I felt like it would help me like relax too into like nighttime.
Speaker 2: Now, Oh my god, it's.
Speaker 1: Like whatever I have like a weird day where like I don't get a workout in early, and I'm like, oh, I could do it at like two o'clock.
Speaker 2: I have to have like the strongest espresso and like psych myself up.
Speaker 1: It's very I'm very lucky. It's like, oh, yeah, I'm very very lucky if I have Well, I found out that I was really really like my iron was really low, like super low, which is why I've been so tired for the last couple of years. I just didn't think about it, and I hadn't had my blood tested. So if you're super tired and you feel like you're just I think I was beating myself up too, because I was like, God, I was wrong with you, Like you're so lazy, Like you're like, get it together, get it together. You have to have a nap every day, like when you're not you know, like what are you doing?
Speaker 2: And I know smolar one too, but for me it was vitamin.
Speaker 1: D uh huh. Sometimes you just don't know, so like if you can get your stuff if tested like, but anyway, I think the mornings are my favorite time of day because I feel like nobody this is gonna be a weird thing. But like, no nobody wants anything from me yet. You know, my responsibilities begin later. My responsibilities begin, yeah when And if I didn't have a kid, that would be true too. My responsibilities would be later. It would be when I'm supposed to be at work, you know. And so the morning time for me is my own time that I get to set myself up for like whatever I want that day, you know, which is when I really screw myself up. Is that that Jerry Seinfeld joke. That's like nighttime me doesn't care about morning time me. Nighttime Me is like let's watch another show, let's do another let's have a let's have ann you know, like nighttime me is like whoa, that's warning guys problem, you know, And like that is when I get into trouble because like morning guy has to deal with nighttime guys stuff choice, nighttime guy doesn't have to deal with it. Right, nighttime guys like, OK, let's stay up and watch British bakeup. Yeah, but like yeahing me cannot should have a second glass of wine? Why not be fine? My most I would say, like my perfect morning would be I get up before the sun rises. I have an iced delicious coffee already made for me in my fridge. I go on my back patio. The neighbors chickens are not awake. They are awake every day. The chickens and roosters are awake every day. So this morning they're not awake, and they're quiet, and it's just like the sound of the birds, a little bit of the birds in the trees. It's cool. I read one of my library books and maybe, like I then I have maybe a second cup of coffee or like a shot of espresso, go downstairs and do my workout, or like walk to a pilates class, do my workout, get it done, come back shower. Everyone's still sleep and then wow, you know, eat breakfast that's already made for me, and it's just magically appears. I don't like to cook, yeah, so it just magically appears. It's like, you know, two delicious eggs and like waffles and jam, and I can make a little sandwich with my waffles. And that's my favorite breakfast is two waffles, like gluten free waffles with blueberries in them, butter, two eggs and a chicken sausage in the middle, and I eat it like a sandwich. It's so delicious. That sounds yammy delicious girl. And that would be my perfect morning. Like at home, that would be my perfect morning. And if I was away, it would be like the same thing, except no book. And it would be a hike, Like I would start the hike before the sun rose, and I would be like at like midway point up the hike when the sun was rising with my ice coffee.
Speaker 2: Wow, it was so different, everybody.
Speaker 1: I felt some judgment. I felt a little judgment in that.
Speaker 2: Wow. Oh no, it wasn't. It wasn't judgment. No, it was envy. It was envy. It wasn't judgment. It was like, I this all sounds lovely.
Speaker 1: You too can have that morning, girl, You too can have that morning. You just have to. I tried to have that morning.
Speaker 2: I would be reading the book, going.
Speaker 1: I don't know what I'm fucking reading, and then I would be on the hike and I'd be like, why am I doing this?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I do want to hike right now?
Speaker 1: Well, that's what I was saying that that was me, like a little bit of me when I was in the iron deficiency, as like deep into the iron deficiency. I was like, what's wrong with me? Like why can't I get my shit together? I like warnings, like what's wrong with me?
Speaker 2: I have never liked mornings.
Speaker 3: More better.
Speaker 1: Moret I was gonna say, are you into the like I mean, we're just sort of talking about it a little bit, but are you into like wellness hacking your day? I mean, I know you're not, like not in this part of it. I think you guys are into wellness hacking like you and David are very into like health and fitness. Yes a David, especially how nutrition lends itself to that. Yeah. Yes, And I take more supplements now than I ever have in my entire life. And David is so happy because We've been together for like twenty years, and literally for the first fifteen of our relationship, he'd be like, you should take supplements, like at least take a multi vitamin, and I was like now, or I'd buy them and then never take them, like never met them. That's me.
Speaker 2: But then at a certain point.
Speaker 1: Like you just start it's like after thirty five, like you just start feeling things and you're like, like that like iron deficiency. For me, it was by I was like, why am I so tired every day at three pm? And it was like your vitamin D is non existent? And you start taking supplements and you start feeling better, and then you're like, oh shit, I should have been doing this the whole time. This is real.
Speaker 2: So I this is real.
Speaker 1: It actually works.
Speaker 2: This is real.
Speaker 1: So I do take a lot of supplements now, and there's some that I take we're in the morning.
Speaker 2: But one thing that.
Speaker 1: We started doing recently that is a little bit of like I don't know if it's wellness hacking, but starting the day with.
Speaker 2: An electrolyte like water.
Speaker 1: Oh so yeah, it is for me, who I am not a morning person. And there is like our more you know, I've got two elementary school kids now, Like I have to make lunch in the morning and gonna you know David does, like because David is more of a morning person, so he usually wakes up earlier and does coffee and like the kid's breakfast, which is like very simple. And then when I wake up, I'll sometimes make a little something extra like sausage or bacon or you know, and see if they want it, because I always try to load them up in the morning.
Speaker 2: Uh So, but I have to do things.
Speaker 1: Which is really hard when you're not a morning person, because I would ideally I should be waking up earlier and like having more time with my coffee to wake up. But what I like about this electrolyte drink is it that shit wakes me up like immediately.
Speaker 2: Really yeah, why in it?
Speaker 1: Like I'm just doing like like I'm just doing element I can't do that stuff. It's so saltyvile ass up. But it doesn't have to.
Speaker 2: I love salt. It's so good. I love it. But it could be like a liquid iv or like it could be whatever, Like there was another well I know it's girl, it's like.
Speaker 1: A thousand milligrams of salt or something crazy like you're not supposed to have them salt you are, though I can't drink those. I like my ankles. But it doesn't have to be that I was I start when I when we first started doing this, I think we were doing it with like liquid IV's or or David had some other electrolyte powder that he found, you know, he like researches all this. He's like, this one's really good. It's third party toaster.
Speaker 2: Or you know whatever.
Speaker 1: He's really nerdy about all that kind of nutritional stuff. But first thing in the morning, I drink it, and I just I feel awake, I feel I don't know, like a little sharper, Like it just helps, and then I like quietly do the lunch.
Speaker 2: I've trained my family not to ask me questions in the morning because they will get snapped out.
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Unless you are asking a question like that's helpful to me. Like if David's like, what else are you thinking of putting in this box? Can I chop something for you? Those are helpful questions that are welcomed in the morning. Okay, don't even ask me like how I'm doing in the morning. I don't want to answer any questions.
Speaker 1: Okay, So to me, I go and have my coffee fascinated by this electrolyte thing because I fucking hate the like that's sorry to this man, sorry to this brand, but that brand, specifically that brand. When I was pregnant, I drank once and my legs swelled up like crazy, and I was like, nah, I'm never doing this again. And I know it's a little different, but it's scared the crap at me, so like, oh, what I really like? And this is like a little bit of the on the electrolyte train. I guess, but this is I guess health hacking or you know whatever is it called wellness hacking. I take these things called magic mind.
Speaker 3: Oka.
Speaker 1: They're like these little shots and they're a magic blend. This is not an ad. I just google this. A magic blend of twelve super ingredients.
Speaker 2: Is it like functional mushrooms?
Speaker 1: It's so what's in it is? It's vitamin C, vitamin D three, vitamin B two, vitamin B three, vitamin B twelve, sodium forty milligrams only, and potassium one hundred and eighty three milligrams, And like, I'll take those before I do a bike ride. And I swear to god, the bike ride is like I got this, like as opposed to just a coffee where I'm just like, oh god, I don't know, I'll send as shit. But like I hate it, you know.
Speaker 2: Because someone someone smart in my life told me once that like it wouldn't make sense.
Speaker 1: You wake up dehydrated. Yeah, you've just spent seven or eight hours not drinking water. So like you do wake up dehydrated. So even if it's not electro like drink or lemon water or whatever. Or yeah, at the very least you should you should drink at least eight ounces of water as soon as you wake up, just like have a water bottle fill it up before what.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I do. I keep a water bottle yeah, by my bed, and then when I wake up, the walk from the bed to the kitchen, I'm just sipping on my water bottle or guzzling it. Yeah. Really, So I have to, like the boys have to be at school earlier this year, so I have to get up earlier, Like I should be getting up at like six David gets up at six.
Speaker 1: I get up at six thirty.
Speaker 2: I'm getting it done. But I, uh, it's so hard for me.
Speaker 1: To wake up in the morning, like I wake up and axles a little bit like me, like he wakes up and stays in bed for a few minutes. And Enzo wakes up like David, like his eyes open and he immediately gets out of the bed. My god, on this ship room, I would hate it. I would hate it. I'd be so mad. I will say like, if you wake me up in the morning, like I need to do this on my own. If you're the that's like, hey, you ready for the morning, I'm like, get the fuck out of my face. I I can't.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah that, I.
Speaker 1: Will say, I'll murder. Yeah. So it's really hard for me to get up. And then I read this thing once where it was I think it was about how to do like better mornings or something, and the person was like, so you have to just launch yourself. You just have to physically launch yourself out of the bed.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes it was, and I literally think of that. I did it this morning. I was like it was like fighting.
Speaker 1: I was like, I'm so tired, I don't feel like getting up, and I was like launch, bitch, launch launch.
Speaker 2: And I just launched myself out of the bed.
Speaker 1: That is so funny.
Speaker 2: We're doing it now.
Speaker 1: I've never heard it called that. I've been doing that for a couple of years because I heard something similar that was like, talk yourself into it, just give yourself a little countdown. So a lot of times I'm like, I'll talk to myself. I'm like, all right, bitch, like three two one, you're up. Let's do it like I do the same thing, and it works. It does work. Like yourself a little bit count because the yep, the snooze, to the news, to the snows, you're not really getting anything out of it. Like it's like, no, there have been studies done and stuff like about this, or you don't get any actual real sleep. Speaking of studies, should we go into some of this nerd time stuff because it's really interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, nerd time, nerd time, nerd time, nerd time.
Speaker 2: Nerd time.
Speaker 1: I'm offended at this. The more Neanderthal ancestry you have, the more better you are at mornings. Excuse him, wah rude a study by John Akhar.
Speaker 2: I mean, based off this conversation, you have more Neanderthal apparently than I do.
Speaker 1: Wait, Neanderthal ding dongs, isn't it? No? Neanderthal is just like the first humans, the ding dongs chromagnum is like closer to what we are now. So don't try to make me feel good about this. A study by a geneticist at the University of California, San Francisco, published in the Journal of Genome Biology and Evolution ancestream might make you a morning person. And here's the thing is, like, I think there's a lot of like morality around, like, oh, I'm a better person because I wake up in the mornings or whatever. But some people are just not that. It's just what it is. It's like sometimes it's just not for you, right, Yeah, I feel like there's this whole narrative that like really successful people get up early and like, yeah, you're if you're a morning person, you're smarter. And it's like, bitch, stop, Like I know so many smart people that are an artists, that are crazy night owls like and that are some of the smartest people I've ever met. Yeah, I don't think I don't think there's any correlation between the two. And everyone could get off their fucking high horse. Okay, some of us are good at mornings and some of them, some of us are not associated with the shortened period of the circadian clock. Capra, the guy that led the study and colleagues assert that the genes for increased mourningness were advantageous to modern migrants in their new domain, improving their ability to match their circadian rhythms to the dramatic seasonal shifts in daylight and temperature. Quote. This change is consistent with the effects of living at higher latitudes on the circadian clocks of animals and likely enables more rapid alignment of the circadian clock with changing seasonal light patterns. Okay, so that's interesting because like it's if you needed to use let's say the daylight in different regions of the world to help you hunt or farm right to keep your family alive, then then it is very significant that you are a mourning person, Like your family's probably going to survive longer and better or whatever. And you get out there at ten when my family has already killed all of the rabbits and squirrels. Okay, see you later. Okay, this one's really fun. The morning routine of Brian Johnson, an American entrepreneur venture capitalist who is obsessed with a bio optimization.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, this isn't this what Para Sultan's trying to do too.
Speaker 1: I don't know. But this is like the ideas like, oh, if you correctly do everything that you're supposed to, like, eat the right things, do the right schedule, take the right supplements, booby gepapita, boom boo, you're never gonna die. You're gonna live forever, babe. That's not a real thing. No one's going to do that. Okay, Okay, I just want to read this to you, hi friend. Every morning, for the past two and a half years, I've followed a routine that's been measured, sorry, refined, and optimized down to the smallest detail. I don't want to optimize my life. I want to live it. Okay, that's just me being shady, boots. Here's what that looks like.
Speaker 2: So hard already okay.
Speaker 1: Number one, not for this, rich dude. Five am. I wake up naturally, No jarring alarms, as abrupt wake ups can have negative effects on the body. Get fucked already, all right. Number two? Ready, tracking my core temperature first, I check my inner ear temperature. Most people sit around ninety eight point seven degrees. I run significantly cooler around ninety four degrees due to my health protocols. My metabolism has become more efficient. To put this into context, to achieve a similar body temperature, you'd need to swim andize for a mile. Brag checking my morning body temperature. I'll let this guy's brought you. Guys, if you're not looking at Wilissa's face right now, it's she's making a lot of weird disgusted, I would say faces. Number three, I take a quick body measurement check using a witting scale ninety nine dollars to one hundred ninety nine dollars to track. All right, this is where we're already. This is a no tracks is weight, fat, muscle, hydration, and arterial stiffness whatever that is, I don't know. Number four breathing and light exposure. To get my mind and body ready for the day, I do a five minute breathing exercise or meditation. I love. This is the first thing I've liked since I wake up before suns good suggestion. Yeah, wait, wait, since I wake up before sunrise, I use a ten thousand lux light machine for four to three to four minutes to simulate natural morning light. So he simulates natural morning light instead of just like going.
Speaker 2: Outside instead of just like waiting for the natural light.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, he's he's worried about losing his hair. I think number five hair and scalp routine. I apply a prescription hair serum and massage my scalp with a silicone scrubber for one to two minutes to improve blood flow. Then I wear a bread light therapy cap for six minutes to support hair growth. No comment. Number six Hydration and supplementation. Uh, look at that. Oh he drinks an eight ounce mix with some proteins, some creatine, some other stuff, some inelin. He gets nutrition and supplements. Then at five thirty am, he trains for sixty to ninety minutes. Okay, I'm into it. I like that part breakfast and supplement routine. Then there's like an extensive list of supplements, many of which his own company sells.
Speaker 2: Surprise, surprise, surpresse shot.
Speaker 1: Then he has a skin and hygiene routine, and then he has a ten minute walk and work focus. Then he has his mid morning fuel, which is lentils, broccoli, caulflower, mushrooms, garlic, ginger, lime, cumin, apple, sided vinegar, hemp seeds, fermented foods, and one tablespoon of olive oil.
Speaker 2: Every day. I would get sick of that so fast, I would get stick of it.
Speaker 1: So I get sick of.
Speaker 2: Sound so heavy. I get sick a smoothie so fast too. Also, what time is it that he's having that mid morning snack? This feels like I'm already mid morning.
Speaker 1: Snacks happens at nine am.
Speaker 2: Jesus.
Speaker 1: He does say at the very end of this, if you're struggling, start small. I love that advice. I think that is sad is s mark. That is good advice if you are struggling with your morning, like start small, like start by, like get your coffee done in the morning in the fridge. Like that is something that I always like, like I'm or like have those magic minds, Like I don't even have to do anything. I just like open the magic mind and yeah, like open it, yes, because otherwise and like like we were both saying, like fill up your water bottle the night before, have it close to your bed so that like when you get up you can just start drinking it. Because sometimes I'm like I can't go get a glass of water right now, that's not going to happen. Okay, Wait, I want to read some more of these. Do you have any that you noticed in here that you thought were crazy?
Speaker 2: Of the historic ones?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the Isis gave us morning routines of historic figures, and she gave us a bunch. The one that I love is Mozart, who spent an hour getting dressed every morning. That's my best friend, my best demos art. I'm the same. I'm like trying on four outfits before I decide on something.
Speaker 2: I liked. Oh, enlightened Enlightenment era philosopher Emmanuel Kent woke up at five am, drank a cup or two of weak tea okay, follow up questions, we obviously can't. Then smoked a pipe of tobacco while all while I'm using that quiet time to meditate.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, I thought you're gonna be like, drank a little thing of whiskey.
Speaker 2: I know that's where I thought it was going. And I was like, all right, tobacco, okay, quick whiskey, A quick whiskey.
Speaker 1: I like this. I like Moby Dick. Author Herman Melville bought one hundred and sixty acre farm and farmhouse in western Massachusetts and personally tended to the farm and enjoyed rising at eight am. To feed his horses and cow. I think that's really sweet or something like that does sound idyllic, like I die, Yeah, yeah that does. There's like there's like part of me that like wishes I could be that person. But I feel like even if I lived on it, it's okay. I would just be like shut up to all. It's fine, and it's fine because this is what we're learning. You're not a monster. You're not a monster just because you need a little bit of extra time to be your best if you could have it right, like I'm just my best after like ten am. Yeah, that's fine, that's fine. I remember sometimes on Brooklyn where we would have like an early morning and somebody would get us all coffee and we'd be so excited about it, like a special coffee from like Alfred or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember how totally okay.
Speaker 1: I would be in like late night shoots while everyone, yeah you were tired, I was melting. Terry was like falling asleep. Everyone's going to sleep, and I'm like taking pictures of everyone sleep. Speaking of morning routines, that that too. Actually, it was one of the people that inspired me to get up early before work and start with he would work out like that. Yeah, Terry would do that every every every day, he would work out.
Speaker 3: More.
Speaker 1: Why do you think everyone is still so obsessed with like routine videos? Like do you see on the get Ready with Ready morning?
Speaker 2: Here's my morning routine And it's like a woman like peeling off eight layers of ship's sad.
Speaker 1: Though that doesn't make me sad.
Speaker 2: That does make me a little sad too.
Speaker 1: So much brain in there and you're using it to just try to be pretty, like, please use it for other stuff too. Who knows, maybe maybe she is maybe kind of them, Like I like, I do you adendum? I like watching when it's like get ready with me or like here's my morning, or like there's this one woman that does cooking videos for her family and she does them like on the weekend. I wish I remember her name, but she does big batch cooking things like this is our routine for the week, so that we have like that we're ready to go for the week, and like and she shows like all the stuff that she doesn't like to cook.
Speaker 2: I guess that's not a morning thing. But it's like a routine. Will you send that to me when you find it?
Speaker 1: It's pretty cool, it's good. I'm just very more of that, I think because mornings are hard for a lot of people. It is like the way you said that Terry inspired you to start doing like early morning workouts before work, Like I think, yeah, right, It's like maybe people are seeking motivation, seeking inspiration, like seeing how someone there was this like I think she was like a nurse practitioner or something that she had a lot of good like is my morning routine? And there was something that I mean, she did a little bit of the well, you know, vibration play like wellness whatever thingy once when she woke up.
Speaker 2: But then she would get dressed and like make a little protein shake and then go work out and then come back and like do this and like shower and like she really and she would put the times.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I'd be watching the times being like that gim must be really close to her house and like right, but she like that just happened fifteen minutes ago. But I guess that makes sense. And you know, I'm like feeling math times in my head. I sometimes I feel like when I'm watching this, I'm like this seems like so much work to like go like make sure you like clocked what time it was and then put it in there. I don't. I'm like, who's ed these videos?
Speaker 2: What was going on these videos? And like are they just yeah?
Speaker 1: Are they like quickly like snapping the time? But they like do all this shit in like two hours before they have to leave for work. And I can see, I mean I watch it just like wow, good for them.
Speaker 2: I could never but I could see how someone else who is.
Speaker 1: Maybe wanting to get more better at their mornings could watch those and be like, fuck, yeah, I could do half of this and it would still be better than what I'm doing now, and it would maybe take me just as long or a little bit less than two hours whatever, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So I think that's the obsession.
Speaker 1: Alternatively, I do think like a little of it is like oh fuck this person, Like it's like watching somebody do something and go like, oh, you're just like bragging about how good you are at mornings, like and sometimes people are like sometimes people are, which is like dumb because it's our It's not a moral thing as we're talking about to It's not a competition, no morality, petition. Nobody wins anything for being.
Speaker 2: Really good at mornings. Okay, Like Sephanie is obviously much more better at mornings than I am, as we have learned through this conversation, but.
Speaker 1: I enjoy it.
Speaker 2: It doesn't affect our friendship.
Speaker 1: It doesn't. And if I felt the same as you, uh, like I didn't like them, you know. I mean, I'll say this. I have worked on jobs where we are in a significant amount of night shoots, and then I get really turned around because I don't have the time to myself in the morning. I don't have like that quiet time before the world is kind of like bubbling and awake and I'm not myself and I don't feel right and like there's nothing I can do because I'm working right and it's like that's the thing of the job, and it messes me up. And so like.
Speaker 2: It's my favorite schedule.
Speaker 1: It's has nothing to do with how good I am or not right. Like it just I can't I can do it. I just don't like it.
Speaker 2: I don't like it.
Speaker 1: I want to read this thing from the Okay, this this is like from this article about waking up early in the morning, the history of waking up humans. I thought this one was really taking the knocker uppers from the seventeen sixties to the nineteen twenties in England and Ireland, at a time where alarm clocks and telephones were still uncommon. The knocker uppers hilarious were in charge of getting people pregnant. No, they were in charge of waking people up. Equipped with either a long bamboo stick or a short baton, they would walk up to your house and knock on your bedroom window until you shield the fuck up. In exchange, they were paid a few pence a week. Mary Smith was one of them, and she roused people from sleep by shooting dried peas at their bedroom windows using a rubber two. That is so funny, like that you'd pay somebody a little something to make sure you got got up on time. Then like that's your job, and then like how are you waking up at the right time to go? That's now that's stressful, right, that is very campy late?
Speaker 2: So what how do you wake up? This is?
Speaker 1: This is okay, So I'm gonna say this. The thing that I wish I could get more better at was not having I wish I could get more better at releasing anxiety. When I have an early call time about a job that I'm nervous about because what happens to me then is that I cannot sleep. I can't sleep. I'm up at four am by the time I'm actually on set acting. I'm nervous, wreck I'm stressed, and I'm not always doing my best work. I'm really really trying to, like I just petted my own like breastbone. Yeah, yeah, I'm really trying to be like kind to myself and just be like, Okay, you have some anxiety, like get to bed earlier, it's gonna be okay. If you don't sleep that much, you know it's you're gonna You're still just like plan ahead and memorize your lines or whatever. But I wish I could let go of the anxiety that I have about some stressful jobs and having to be there really early because I don't Yeah that I would like to get more better at but I don't know. Yeah, that is a tough one that happens to me too. But I also am so I don't know if this will work for you. Like I'm a like a functioning insomniac, Like I can weirdly function on very little sleep. I can, So that's the thing I'll kind of tell myself to calm myself down like a little bit, try to get a little placebo effect of just like, Okay, you might not sleep, but and you're gonna be tired tomorrow. But we also know that we can like drink a lot of water and drink coffee and we're going to stay.
Speaker 2: We can do foods and we're going to and we're going to be fine. We're going to get through it. Adrenaline is going to come, like first standers, Adrenaline is going to come, and that's going to help us. And so then it's going to be fine. And sometimes that little chat will help me sleep more, yeah, or even if it doesn't, it just helps me feel less anxious going to the thing. Because of that, I know I can do.
Speaker 1: I've done lots of jobs on no sleep or I've worked till you know, three in the morning and did it, so I know I can do it. And just like you know, and just and then and also just like you know, like stay away from certain foods that are gonna make you tired or sleepy. Yeah, you like fruit, do a lot of like you know, protein and fruits and nothing like super heavy and crappy, nothing heavy because it's gonna make your day horrible and drink a lot of water and drink.
Speaker 2: Ale and yeah, and then I'm just like, listen, if it's coffee cup after coffee cup today, like it.
Speaker 1: Is what it is, Like we'll have a better one tomorrow, you know. Like I just kind of that little chat with myself is kind of what helps sometimes. That's good. That's really good advice. I'm going to use that because I don't think I've ever had anybody say that aloud. I think I like the last time that it happened, I was like, okay, just get up and work out. Then, like you're sitting here in bed like having anxiety about this, like just get up and do a workout, and I didn't, but I didn't.
Speaker 2: Work out will also help you too.
Speaker 1: But I also didn't have the talk with myself of like it's gonna be fine, it's gonna be okay no matter what, Like you've done this, you've done this before, You've done this on a job from first falling asleep, you know, yeah, like it's not gonna happen today. And I get so much adrenaline on like early days of a thing. Yeah, you know, like and then that is you know it's like fake energy, but it's still energy. It's still energy. No, it's real, it's real. It's just it's just different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, more better. I feel like that.
Speaker 1: I mean my takeaway here today, Yeah, what's your takeaway that you're really good at mornings? You're Yeah, I'm the best.
Speaker 2: I really you're the best. You win it morning.
Speaker 1: My takeaway is if we ever do another shoot job together or I'm I'm not calling you in like I'm going to make sure the life you're not you know what I mean, Like, I'm like, I don't think that's a good idea. You're not going to get her best work if she's here at five thirty am. My other takeaway is if we ever go on vacation together, to not plan anything early in the morning, and also make sure I'm like in a different part of the hotel than you are, or like you can't you know what I mean, Like we can't share room. It's not we're not doing that. No, no you can.
Speaker 2: You know if it's just you and me, like no kids, no, yeah, no, it'll be it'll be fine.
Speaker 1: I do like that's weird too. I if I'm on a if I'm on a vacation like I do. I don't like to like sleep in or wake up too late on a vacation because I.
Speaker 2: Do want to like seize the day. Sure, But.
Speaker 1: At the same time, every Mother's Day, the one number one thing I ask for is to let me see me alone, don't sleep, don't leave me alone until time I am. Yeah. Hot tip everyone, if you're looking for something to get your the mom's in your life for Mother's Day, it's leave them alone.
Speaker 2: Leave them alone. I feel like my other takeaway is that.
Speaker 1: What I'm doing is working for me pretty much other than, like, like I said, the anxiety on days that I work, but like I like mornings, and there's nothing wrong with that. That's okay. It's fine that it's hard for me to wait. Sometimes friends are like, oh my god, but it's like eleven, it's not even that late, and I'm like, guys, know, I'm so tired. I have to like go to bed. I have to go to bed. Or like Rad's watching The Sopranos lately and I'm like, he's like, do you want to watch with me? I'm like, it's nine five.
Speaker 2: I have to get you to sleep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, what about you?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think My takeaway is I feel like I, uh should try a little harder to make my mornings more better because I think I am a grumpy grump in the mornings and not everyone deserves that. And but also like it's it's it's also okay. I feel like I've also gotten to a place in my life where it's just like I don't need to be like amazing at mornings.
Speaker 1: No, it sounds like you've really figured it out, dude. I yeah, I've figured out like what works for me how to get through them. And I just, you know, will never be a morning person. I know, as soon as my kids are grown up and like out of the house or maybe high school or something like, my life is probably going to go right back to like staying up until midnight and sleeping until like eight or something, as it should.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, and that's okay, It's okay. We all just like function differently.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you feel a little more better about mornings in general?
Speaker 3: I do?
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 2: Isn't it interesting too?
Speaker 1: I find like, sorry, last thing, I do find it because you said that about Brad and I'm Brad. In my relationship, I feel like most married couples I know one person is a morning person and the other person is not. Yeah, it works really well when it's like that, I think, although I think it does. I mean I I think there's like.
Speaker 2: A I think David like kind of likes his little alone like alone time in the.
Speaker 1: Morning with his coffee.
Speaker 2: I like my kind of alone time at night sometimes when he's snoring.
Speaker 1: The best part of being in a couple is your alone time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a hundred percent. That's from That's the married people.
Speaker 1: To you guys out there, they're like, no, what a no, you don't you just want to be like you will It'll be fine, But I enjoy it.
Speaker 2: It will be fine because I enjoy time. It's so precious, beast, it's so great. All right, okay, mornings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we are pretty good.
Speaker 2: We did it. We're doing great doing We're doing great.
Speaker 1: We're doing more better.
Speaker 2: Okay, bye, oh by.
Speaker 3: More more better.
Speaker 1: Do you have something you'd like to be more better at that you want us to talk about in a future episode. Can you relate to our struggles or have you tried one of our tips and tricks? Shoot us your thoughts and ideas at Morebetter Pod at gmail dot com and include a voice note if you want to be featured on the pod. Ooh More Better with Stephanie Melissa is a production from Wvsound and iHeartMedia's Mikultura podcast network, hosted by me, Stephanie Beatrice, and Melissa Fumero. More Better is produced by ISIS Madrid and Sophie Spencer Zabos.
Speaker 2: Our executive producers are Stephanie Beatrice, myself, Melissa Kumero, along with Wilmar Valderrama and Leo Klem at WV Sound and ISIS Madrid.
Speaker 1: This episode was edited by ISIS Madrid and engineered by Sean Tracy and features original music by Madison Devenport and Heylo Boy.
Speaker 2: Our cover art is by Vincent Remis and photography by David Avalos. For more podcasts from iHeart, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.
Speaker 1: See you next week's suckers.
Speaker 2: Bye,