Speaker 1: You're listening to the Ravens Press Pass podcast and it is Wednesday, December sixth, the Ravens preparing for Sunday's games coming up against the LA Rams, and today we had a chance to hear from head coach John Harpon.
Speaker 2: Okay, good to see everybody. Appreciate you guys being here. Had a good practice, guys were in high spirits. We're excited about big challenge with the Rams coming in on Sunday afternoon, and we know what an important game it is and our guys are preparing accordingly.
Speaker 3: So what questions you have, John.
Speaker 4: You know, you pret Aaron Donald a few times and have become pretty pretty welcome daining him. What's kind of the key when you're going against it, you know, dominating cure guy like that.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean he's number ninety nine, right, you gotta know where he's at at all times and try to get as many people blocking him as you can, you know, for as long as you can, which is which is a tall order. He's one of the probably the greatest ever play in their position, and so he's definitely that. But not just him, They've got quite quite a few really good players on defense. They play really hard. They're flying around very disruptive front. So we've got to work cut out for us a.
Speaker 5: Little different than some points to come back from the momentum and then deal with they laid by week.
Speaker 3: No, I think it's been good for us.
Speaker 2: I mean, our guys are in good spirits that the time off will be good for us, I think physically and you know mentally as well.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: Uh, but you know, it's just part of the National Football League and we've got a big challenge in front of us Sunday, and that's what everybody's focused on.
Speaker 6: John, this is an offense that that likes to thrive on some big plays. You guys have done really good and limiting big plays, especially in the past game. What do you think about the challenge of trying to keep that keep a laid on them.
Speaker 3: Right, That's a big challenge. I mean, it's it's number one priority.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: You have to keep these guys from from the chunk pass plays. It's uh, whether it's play action drop back pass. I mean they're drop back pass rate right now is one among the highest in the league, if not the highest, in terms of pretty much every situation got a quarterback that knows how to do it, knows how to handle protection, but also the boots, you know, the change, the mystery action passes with the run game, so kind of all ties together in their system. Matt Stafford knows how to do it, you know, as well as anybody as far as running that system. A great play caller, so, uh, all those things come into play.
Speaker 7: Tape.
Speaker 8: Did you fund yourself wondering why would do a fell and followers and team and the draft up if you remember doing anything more time?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I mean I liked him.
Speaker 2: He was one of my highest rated guys. And you can ask anybody here ask ask the wide receiver coach. Coach Lewis asked the scouts. He was way up on my board, so, uh you know, yes I was, Yes, I was, he was, And just he's playing exactly how I thought he would. So for the record, but he but the challenge, I mean, to your point, and it's not I mean again, they've got a great, really good receiving core.
Speaker 3: I mean they've got guys you know, all across the board, and.
Speaker 2: Cooper cups not to not too bad either, you know, and uh, Higbe's a really good tight end and DeMarcus is playing really well as well, so at well, he's he's he's a speed guy. You got to keep an eye on him downfield at all time.
Speaker 3: So it's a good group.
Speaker 9: John mentioned a couple of weeks ago thought Marcus Williams would really gain steam and be closer to the player that you know he has been for you guys, I guess this season went along. In that last game against the Rams, he had a couple of breakups.
Speaker 7: Is he close?
Speaker 9: How close is he to kind of the healthy player? Had his best at And do you think this bye week is really something that a guy like Dennis really good a benefit.
Speaker 2: From, right, Yes to the last part, I would say, and then yes to the first part too.
Speaker 3: He's he's, he's.
Speaker 2: You could see it really starting to kind of come together in the last game. And uh, you know, I mentioned to him Monday at practice. You know, I just feel like I feel like he's kind of ready to step out and and uh, you know, go make some big plays for us. But he's he's getting he's getting around the ball now. You know, he kind of showed up downfield in front of the ball a couple of times. He made a couple of hard hitting tackles and he looks good.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's he's a guy you don't want.
Speaker 2: To forget about. He's a great football player. Marcus is a great football player, and having him back there is a big plus for us.
Speaker 10: Weather gets cold in the running game amps, how graz is to have three guys and Lamar Jackson, he would have run the ball through a kind of like that part of your game when that part of the season.
Speaker 3: Oh, big part of it.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, December football, you know, December football, January football. The run game is important. Stopping runs massive, stopping doing against this team is critically important. Running the ball against this defense is very important. I mean, it's it's only gonna it's gonna be that way. We're gonna be saying that every week all the way through December here, So big part of it.
Speaker 11: John O'Dell's went against stam team in the Rams.
Speaker 3: He wants to bowl with them.
Speaker 4: Uh you know, now we're twelve games and uh you know, how would you think with the impact of of of odell this year for this time right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Ode will be a captain forest, one of our captains in this game, and he'll go out there and do the coin toss and stuff and uh.
Speaker 3: And he'll be out there playing. I mean he's he's.
Speaker 2: Uh, he's a heck of a football player. I mean, he draws a lot of attention, he's making plays. I think he's really coming into his own health wise right now and getting stronger and faster. I mean, it's a it's a big road back from where he had to where he had to come from. And and I just you see it every single week you guys watch the games. He's an explosive element to what he's doing and he can really go and uh and I you know, I know he's gonna make a bunch of big plays down the stretch.
Speaker 12: Here you're addressed the weather question, but specifically this Sunday, it looks like high wins possibly in a lot of possible rain. Does that factor into preparation in terms of how you would adjust.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Mark, I mean, you know, wins are a big factor in the passing game and the kicking game, you know, so we've got to take that into account. Just just catching it, you know, whether it's catching upon a kickoff or catching a pass. Ball handling is gonna be a big part of it. Where a ball handling offense. So we've got to handle the ball in wet weather. That's gonna be important to us. We'll be keeping that in mind, and it'll be big for them too. I mean they've got to do the same thing. They play in the same weather we do so well, you know, if we can, if we can take advantage of any mistakes they might make.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's that's uh.
Speaker 2: You've got to you got to win the game in every type of circumstance, and the elements are a big part of it.
Speaker 13: John, You've got a handful of i mean sort of less thorld good players, guys like maybe Harrison and Brent Urbin. A few guys come to mind that have made, you know, notable contributions and plays, draft reports in the season count or is it to have those suit of guys have a po many things, but that's not really that they have. Best with those guys who you know, can you contribute to make this place draft of course of.
Speaker 7: The season and the successfulces.
Speaker 2: Right well, I mean it's massively important for for every for for everybody to be a part of what you're doing. I mean, football is the consummate team game. It always has been, and it's not a one man show. It's not a two man show. It's not it's not a star system. It's a team system. It always has been. I think teams that recognize that, and I think teams do recognize that more so than anybody. Probably when you're in the middle of it, you know that every single guy is important, and every single guy is important. In the course of a game or the season, somebody's going to make a play. Somebody's got to make the play. And if you're on that field, you have an opportunity to make a play. In matter of fact, you're going to be required to make the plays that that come your way, you know, and uh, and you either do it or you don't. I think that's what guys, it's. It's kind of the ultimate meritocracy. You know, you're out there, you have an opportunity, and either do it or you don't do it. So our guys have stepped up, So many guys have stepped up to your point. Just a great point, Brian. That's why you know where where we're at right now. So we've got to keep building on that, and we've got to do it down the stretch.
Speaker 12: John, we didn't.
Speaker 6: See Rashan Bateman out there is everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he had kind of an illness sickness type deal. So, uh, you know, hopefully we'll be back tomorrow with that.
Speaker 4: John, I think your guy that's not been around like because our parents watching h Dunk season or is he still we're still open for you.
Speaker 2: Know, that's a I'll have to get back to you on that one. I don't, Uh, I don't know for sure. I mean, I don't think he's I don't I'm not really planning on being back in all honesty, but let me check again because it's been a while since I've looked into that one about uh, you.
Speaker 9: Know, it's starting to have some strobole boating and pretty safety and its originally starting in the backup on upsitting.
Speaker 2: Right and Matthay kind of goes back to Bryan's point. You know, it's exactly right. Guys have done that. Geno no more than anybody right leads the league in interceptions, you know, and uh, he always knew he could do it, you know, and uh, we always pretty sure he could do it. We knew he could do it, and you know, guys get a chance and they do it. So proud of him, but you know, John guarantee you. One thing with Gino's thinking about is he's not looking back. He's looking forward. The next next this next next game, in the next next game is in December, I would.
Speaker 1: Say, go John Harball. Today we also talked with quarterback Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 7: I think it was pretty dope.
Speaker 14: It was pretty del man. It's Snoop Dogg. You know, I was hype, kind of starstruck, but I was hype.
Speaker 7: For the most fuck they got your first time meeting.
Speaker 14: Now, yeah, person, it was it was cool.
Speaker 9: Are there a lot of moments for you where you kind of have a chance to kind of step back?
Speaker 11: You said you're a start track. I mean, do you ever hoop and get you step back?
Speaker 7: And like, this is kind of.
Speaker 9: Crazy that my life kind allows me to to socialize.
Speaker 7: With these people.
Speaker 15: I grew up really.
Speaker 7: Putting on a pedestal.
Speaker 14: Uh, sometimes I do. I pretty much do it right in front of 'em. Might just be hyped like a little kid, you know, and yeah, like sometimes you know, I I think about it, but like I said, it's right in front of 'em. I don't think about it when I walk away from like I do it right in front like d make Snoop Dog.
Speaker 3: I was like, I was.
Speaker 5: Like other people for YouTube, come back from a bike week lay by week and know that only five games ahead of you guys, and you are you know, you have your own destiny basically.
Speaker 14: Uh f uh, I feel great, but you know we I I felt like, uh going to toot about we we already do that.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 14: We just gotta focus on what we can control, and that's keep winning games, you know, going out there and just putting on a uh better performance than we did before the bout we I say, on offense, but just keep fighting, you know, each and every game because it's end the game of Sunday.
Speaker 1: This is a tough stretch obviously that you guys have to finish out the regular season. In some ways, does it feel like, you know, the playoffs are kind of starting early, just as you you know, knowing what's at stake over the course of these last five games.
Speaker 14: To be hon, I I feel like every week for us been a playoff game throughout this season. Uh because people didn't think uh Texans was that good and I believe they pretty good coats, pretty good you know, pretty solid teams still as you know, they they putting out fights in Cincinnati. I mean not Cincinnati, but uh Cleveland. Every week it's been a playoff game for us. We just gotta keep staying locked in and like I said, focus on what we can control.
Speaker 9: It's already a pretty fraught injury picture, especially in HAFC quarterbacks. And then you know, Trevor Lawrence and can you pick it both go out with injuries this week.
Speaker 11: What's it like kind of watching from apart seeing.
Speaker 7: These teams kind of get hit.
Speaker 11: With these injuries, getting the quarterbacks.
Speaker 14: So, uh, we you know, we don't wanna see injuries happening in the league. You know, we want everybody to go out there and you know, give they all and you know when they when we play against teams, you know, just hea their best. But you know it's part of the game. You know, I went down last year year before, you know, But it happens in football, you know. But we just gotta keep focusing on what we can control.
Speaker 15: Wow.
Speaker 6: I know you're always talking about striving to get better, but going into the bye weeknd nine to three, did you have time to kind of assess where you guys are as an offense right now? How would you kind of assess where you guys are today.
Speaker 14: Man, I stepped back. I I kind of just took a break from focusing on football, you know, with us. But when I got back, you know, today and yesterday and stuff like that, I believe our team is just locked in cause we know what's ahead of us. We know what got us here. You know, we one had his team once. I believe, you know, we know we we chasing little more.
Speaker 15: Uh h winds and brain are prepicted for Sunday?
Speaker 1: Are there?
Speaker 13: Ways are things you do during the week to prepare for that when you see that in the forecast?
Speaker 14: Uh, wet ball drill. I can't do anything about the wind, but you know we do a lot of wet ball drills. Put the ball in the uh garage garbage can fill it up with water and put the ball in and just go from there. Just throw the ball. But the wind we can't domand about the win.
Speaker 11: This kind of kind of a left field question.
Speaker 16: But uh, in the locker room, you got your you got your close friends, snoop on on one side of you.
Speaker 11: Uh, you got your left tackle on the other side.
Speaker 16: Does it does it matter your a guy who likes to hang out of there? Does it matter to you kind of who your neighbors are.
Speaker 11: And in the locker room.
Speaker 14: Nuh we all brothers, yeh, we all brothers. And just don't be nasty. Just don't leave clothing around. That's about it, and we good.
Speaker 17: Just going back to the weather question and you said, like you don't really like playing and rain all that much.
Speaker 13: How do you buck that out?
Speaker 17: How do you just kind of focus on alright, this is the game, this is what it is.
Speaker 5: How do you deal with it?
Speaker 14: Man? I just go out there and play football. No, I can't do nothing about the rain, the wind. Just get prepared, you know. Mind ever matter.
Speaker 9: Mark uh Adell's gonna be captain and John was just telling her for this game kind of against the Rams obviously won of Super Bowl with the Rams. In the locker room, does O'Dell ever make references to that run he has with him and just for to paint that vision for your team that's now trying to win Super Bowl?
Speaker 14: Just sit again, that's does he have?
Speaker 9: Does Adele ever reference his run with the Rams.
Speaker 14: Where he talks to you as mine?
Speaker 3: He don't what it has.
Speaker 7: His leadership means to you, guys, can not lead this year?
Speaker 14: Uh a lot, you know He pretty much just lead by a zamp. But he you know, he he cool with the guys. You know, he talking on us and stuff like that like we all do, but he don't. He don't just try to like charge us up and stuff like that, try to get in our face to pump us up. You know, he pretty much just lead by a zample. Go out there, work card be Odell, and that's all we need him to do.
Speaker 17: We talked to team before the buy and he talked about the trust you know that you've built with your receivers when it's comes to Obja specifically, do you really feel like at this point in the season with what you've built that you know, when it comes to clutch moments, third downs, whatever, reads him like he's a guy that you feel you have a lot of trust with. He's gonna come up and make that play.
Speaker 14: Absolutely. That's all of our guys, you know, we we brothers share. You know, we all wanna win. We all know we chase him, like I said earlier, and that's all to it. You know, if his numbers called, we don't make it happen. Whoever's number callup, we gonna make it happen. That's why we just communicate or.
Speaker 1: Where you've referenced a couple of times, just you know what you're chasing as a team. Do you feel like that there's kind of a singular focus in that regard that you know that this is this, this group has a potential to be special, and that this is this is a really good opportunity for.
Speaker 18: You as a team.
Speaker 14: M not singular focus. I believe you know some older guys you know who here, who been in the league a long time, it's feeling the same way. I'm pretty much one of the younger, younger veteran guys, and I just see it, you know, just from being in the league. You know, we had a twenty nineteen just fell short, you know. But but right now, you know, I'm preaching it like I feel like I'm preaching to the quad. But it's like, we gotta take advantage of what we have, you know, cause we might not see it again and f a few years though probably we might we might. I ain't gonna say that we might, but you know, we never knew so long are you?
Speaker 12: You started by saying you were starstruck by Snoop? What's it like for you when people are starstruck by you. What does that tell you about what your life is becoming? How do you handle that?
Speaker 14: That's a good christ Uh, I don't know. I pretty much I'm down to earth, so I pretty much be cool with it, you know, tight hugs, long hugs, crying and hugs. I'm cool whatever, you know. I love the fans, man, I love a fans.
Speaker 13: John was just talking about. You know, it takes all the guys in the locker room. H are a lot of players for you guys to be successful. Curiously, what's a guy like, a less terrible guy like have a card for example, you know, meant to you in terms of half blocking or even you know, if you about that Detroit per hear that capture trying to a long run? W what is those sort of role players? I think that's sort of helpful they for for you.
Speaker 14: I don't look at guys like Pattison role player, you know cause just like you said, he bucking his tail off, you know we need him catch the pass. He doing that. He's a part of our eleven mile uh fifty three man roster, but a eleven guy person there on that field, so we help us throughout the game, no matter what the situation is him and whoever else you know who may be caught a role player who I feel is a ultimate, you know, just team guy.
Speaker 1: That was quarterback Lamar Jackson. Veteran wide receiver Odell Beckham Junior also talk with the media about his season so far here in Baltimore, his expectations the rest of the way.
Speaker 4: So, go at the team that you won the Super Bowl with, how was a gonna feel like?
Speaker 7: Doesn't feel like anything.
Speaker 19: Nah, it's you know, it's a special bond that U half with those guys over there, Coop Stafford. You know, I still could hit a little group chat and you know, talk some trash to him this week and just it's just all love and respect. You know mcveigh's been He kind of was the person who or the whole situation organization kind of brought me back to loving and having joy for for football and understanding true professionalism and being prepared.
Speaker 7: And it was just a great.
Speaker 19: Experience for me alongside of you know, winning Super Bowl, but uh, just overall it was one of the best things that's happened in my life.
Speaker 13: How did they do that and how they kind of carried over there?
Speaker 19: I guess for you, Well, starting with there, it just was something that you know, there's not to be like, Oh, there's been other situations where I didn't feel prepared the way that I felt prepared over there, from the way that they you know, we come in, they come in for meetings, in the way that they looked at the film and dissected each player team these players are gonna work. I just felt prepared going into I think McVeigh does an incredible job. I remember even the month of November we they lost. I don't know what to say. We are they I'm over here now, so you know what I'm saying, Like, but we at the time that lost three games in a row and I watched him never waiver. And you know, I've seen some coaches.
Speaker 7: Lose and you see a completely different person.
Speaker 19: So that's always been my biggest compliment about him. He knows for sure publicly I've spoken about him. I have nothing but the utmost love and respect for him in that place over there, in those people I've.
Speaker 6: Seen with the Rams, they've got two receivers, Cooper Cup and Cooping the Cord having really good seasons.
Speaker 11: You had success over there.
Speaker 6: What is it about Sean mcvay's offense that makes it so wide receiver friendly.
Speaker 19: He's just a guru like he was around you know, the Shanahan's and McDaniels, and you know he's one in his own.
Speaker 7: He he just knows what he's doing. It's hard to explain.
Speaker 19: It's a very tough offense to cover a lot of emotions, a lot of receivers, you know, deceptive things that go on. So I know our defense has you know, a tough task in front of them, But I think this is the right defense for the job.
Speaker 18: You know, you talked about sign he win a super Bowl.
Speaker 1: When you back to that, back with this group where you're sitting right now, do you feel like this is a team that has a special opportunity.
Speaker 19: Yeah, I think when you when when we could sit here today at this point, am you know we're nine and three and this team's playing the way that they're playing. It's a lot easier to say it now, But I feel like before when I was looking at where to go and who to sign where, then who's gonna have an opportunity to be here?
Speaker 7: This was you know what I envisioned, not.
Speaker 19: Knowing that Harbes, you know, runs this place the right way. Like I just know I always played against the Ravens and it was always tough.
Speaker 7: It was always difficult.
Speaker 19: It was a team that you know, was just relentless, you know, tough football. And you know, sitting here now at nine and three, definitely you know know that there's an opportunity.
Speaker 7: But it comes with the same thing that we've been doing, you know, for the first twelve games.
Speaker 19: It's just finding ways to win football games, finding ways to be elite, score points and not allow the other teams to score points.
Speaker 7: But it's definitely a good opportunity.
Speaker 17: We have physically, How impactful was the buye for you just to kind of heal up and feel stronger, And do you feel like this final stretch that you're in a really good position to to you know, make your impact felt again?
Speaker 19: Yeah, I mean I think it's more you just have an opportunity. You know, Yeah, your body gets the rest, But is you know too much rest?
Speaker 1: Good?
Speaker 19: Is it too you know? I think it's more of a mental break. You get to just reset. And to me, when I was thinking about or looking at the schedule and seeing that the bye week came at this time and the way that the season went. It couldn't have came at a better time. You know, now you're going into a real season. Five games left that are that are setting you up to be in the real, real season. So the bye week was great. I don't think it could have came at a better time. And it just you know, allowed you to have some time to breathe and reset.
Speaker 16: I mean, you've talked about You've talked about kind of happy milestones that you've hit this year. The first game back, you know, first touchdown back house. Does this feel like another little one? You know, going against guys that you played with, you know, big game in December.
Speaker 11: You know you're looking at it to maybe another ship of all that stuff.
Speaker 19: I mean, does it feel like another little It's just it's just I don't know how to explain.
Speaker 7: It's weird.
Speaker 19: You know, we're wearing the all purple uniforms. I don't know if they're wearing the all bone uniforms. And like last year I was or two years ago, I was over there and I scored a touchdown and win a game, and you know, now I'm over here. Hopefully I could do the same thing and you know, return the favorite of them. But it's you know, sometimes I have these days avu moments that go on, you know, mid game, after you've played for for so long, you've seen so many things.
Speaker 7: It's just a team that I have a lot of love and respectful.
Speaker 19: Obviously I want to super Bowl with them, So it does feel good to, you know, go against them to be able to see these guys, you know, I have a special bond with them, and you know the goal is obviously to win.
Speaker 7: Now on this side.
Speaker 11: A moment ago, you use the words real, real season. I guess we've descotted the postseason.
Speaker 9: Did winning a to the Bowl change how you view the progression of a season? Or is it make you more impatient to get to.
Speaker 11: The playoffs or how does it make you feel?
Speaker 19: I just feel like, just like everything in life, like you can't speed up the process to get anywhere. You know, life's gonna it's gonna take twenty four hours to get to tomorrow and then we're gonna you know, it's just a you just gotta stay in at be where your feet are at. But I remember my first playoff experience just being.
Speaker 7: You know, it just was bad.
Speaker 19: I wasn't ready for the moment, and I was itching and you know, just dying to get back to having an opportunity. And when I had the opportunity in LA, I was more than ready for it. And you know, like I was saying, the real, real season, it's it's coming, you know, it's it's gonna be on the way after five weeks, after handling our business one week at a time, trying to go want to know, the same thing, same mentality we've had all year.
Speaker 7: I just think that's the approach.
Speaker 19: You know, can't It's not gonna get here any faster if I wanted to, so that uh, you.
Speaker 9: Felt always compared with LA and you haven't always felt.
Speaker 7: That in other region. What's the preparation itself? And like you're a Baltimore man, definitely prepared.
Speaker 19: You know, uh harps harps on, uh the keys, the winning football and you know, these are the little things that if they're talked about in the wrong manner, it seems you know, negative, like we're always stressing a stressingess. But he talks about 'em in such a positive way that you see it come up in a game and we we're prepared for that, you know, we we know that, Okay, we need to get down here. We need to clock it. We need to you know, do all the the little things. So I definitely feel prepared here. You know, great preparation leads to us being able to to do what we're doing.
Speaker 12: What dos pass.
Speaker 11: And you've chosen the Black health uh, Black Women's Health inheritive.
Speaker 1: Is there a particular reason why why?
Speaker 18: It's cos.
Speaker 7: I don't know it?
Speaker 5: J it was.
Speaker 19: It's very hard to pick a cause, you know, but it's just it's something that's dear to my heart. And I'm still working on the cleats. Different situation with my cleats that you know, I used to be with and now I'm you know, trying to make it all up so hopefully I can put together something good for the cause, and you know, I want to try and get them auctioned off or something for a good price or something like that.
Speaker 7: This year.
Speaker 12: Lamar was up here earlier and said how he was starstruck being around Snoop as a guy who probably rolls deeper than anybody on this team. Are you accustomed to being in those situations and having people also see you as the star?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 19: To me, it's hard. I think that might be one of my bigger flaws. I would say is like, sometimes I don't see myself as what the world could portray me. At certain moments, I just see myself as you know, O'Dell. And I know at moments I could be OBJ or whatever you want to call it, Like I'm just a It's just how I've always been, how I was raised.
Speaker 7: Probably, But you know, I remember a little bit when I was younger.
Speaker 19: And after the catch I'll never forget, Lebron was in New York and I ended up going to Carbone with him, and I was like, this is like my idol, idol. You know, this is the person who I think I'm a little slew for this because of him. You know, like I really tried to emulate and watch everything that he did, so I definitely.
Speaker 7: Know what it's like.
Speaker 19: But I just feel like now I've been around it so much that I've just had to be accustomed to it or used to it.
Speaker 7: Even throughout the.
Speaker 4: Season, he brings up winning the school kind of his focus whinning the Super Bowl walk game.
Speaker 11: Does he talk about that?
Speaker 4: And you know he talks about that when we talk about after games with teammates, does he talk.
Speaker 11: About does he bring that up a lot?
Speaker 18: Yeah?
Speaker 19: I mean, but he brings it up in a sense of when we're talking about a specific route or a detail, you know, it's like, oh this, we need to do this, that and the third we need to do that that way it's going to work out. He's like yeah, and then he always injured, was like, I'm trying to win a bowl. Come on, Like, that's just how that's just the way of harping on theose small details because they're going to be important and that's what's going to help him help us obviously, you know, try and achieve that goal, but we know that it's a it's a big task. It's a lot of small details that go into that. But I think we're up for it.
Speaker 18: That was Odell Beckham, Junior.
Speaker 1: We also talked with winebacker Roquan Smith, who this week was announced as the Ravens nominee for the Walter Payton Man of the Year Award, which is awarded to.
Speaker 18: A player who gives back in the community.
Speaker 1: Rookwand talked about the significance of that honor and his expectations for this team the rest of the way.
Speaker 4: So from your days in the NC, do you really need a scouting report on Matthew Stafford at all.
Speaker 20: No, I definitely, you know, know of Matthew and you know know he's been playing a game for a.
Speaker 7: Very long time.
Speaker 20: Got a lot of respect to him for Himan as well being a dog and whatnot. And yeah, he's definitely a gun flinger. So you know, I'm excited for the matchup. Played against some ovide years many times, so definitely looking forward to it.
Speaker 7: They're real quin.
Speaker 5: First of all, congrats on the nomination of Walter bringing Men of the Year. What doesn't mean to you represent the Ravens that way?
Speaker 15: Thank you?
Speaker 20: And honestly, man, it means a lot to myself when I think about it, Like I told a lot of the guys, you know, like a kid from a very small town in southwest Georgia, like I told them, population of a thousand people, no stoplights, anything like that, And I just know the impact that it has on a community when, like you know, as kids, there's not a lot that you look forward to besides just like playing and then meeting superstars of whatever, influential people that give back to the community, and just knowing that the impact that it has, and that's just something that I always cherished personally, and I think about it from the perspective of if I'm only known as a really good football player and that's it, like I sold myself short and everyone else that's done so much for me in my life. So I'm just grateful to be in a position and I'm just grateful to be able to give back.
Speaker 15: And you know, I don't give back for awards anything like that.
Speaker 20: A lot of stuff I don't even really care care to talk about is more so out of the goodness of my heart, because I truly enjoyed just making kids families or you know, dose in need, putting a smile on their face, just like being a good person. That's something that I cherish and just something I always want to do with this one life that I have. OK.
Speaker 9: I know you just said that you don't do this for awards, But coming from the Bears and knowing the stature with Walter Payton, you know what what did that name mean to you when you were in that organization and for of being mentioned in alongside you know, his namesake, What does that specifically.
Speaker 3: Need to do with people?
Speaker 15: Yeah?
Speaker 20: Man, have a great deal of respect for Walter Payton and everything he done, he has done and did regardless if I'm in Chicago or whether I'm here, Like the impact that he had on the community there in Chicago. Actually seen his name every day I came to work in the Walter Payton Center, used to go over there for practice up Hallis Hall, and then you know, would see him running out on Lake Michigan with kids, gifting kids with.
Speaker 15: School shoes back to school and things like that.
Speaker 20: And they've just showed what type of person he is, and like what he cared about, and how selfless he was, and like his family. So I definitely have a great deal of respect for them and just all the great things he had done throughout his life. And so I'm just grateful to be even mentioned by his name, nomination, or whatever the case may be.
Speaker 15: So I definitely take a great deal of respect in it.
Speaker 11: You came in midway through last season, fit right in.
Speaker 16: All the guys it seems like he brought in late in the game this year, whether it's Derby or Clowney or Vannoy.
Speaker 11: Fit right in have lifted the defense. Why do you think those guys have blended as well as they have And kind of what's the art of doing that?
Speaker 16: You know, coming into a situation mission you know a little bit later, but you know fitting in.
Speaker 20: Yeah, man, I just think that credits to the coaching staff here, the style that we are here, and I think it just goes to good leadership and just making everyone feel welcome, welcome to be themselves and not try to be anything that they're not. And I feel like if you express that to end of visuals players, especially when they come in here, making sure they know that they can don't have to try to act be anything they don't. I think guys just being themselves and it makes them play the best version of themselves. And I think it's also credit to the coaches for putting us in the right situation, right positions and getting us are one on ones and getting us favorable matchups.
Speaker 1: Lamar and O'Dell will talked about chasing a Super Bowl.
Speaker 18: How that's obviously the goal for this team.
Speaker 1: With where you guys are sitting at this point in nine to three and the group of players that you have, best young players, do you feel like this is a pretty unique opportunity that you guys have as a team to try to achieve that goal.
Speaker 20: I definitely think this is a very unique situation on a very unique team and a lot of veteran leadership and got a lot of younger guys as well that are very hungry and like truth be told, going into each and every year, there's truly only probably eight nine teams that actually have a chance to compete for a Super Bowl. And that's on the higher side and just knowing that we actually have an opportunity to but we just can't get to the bigger picture. We have to take it one aim at a time, and we expressed at each other day in and day out, and it's just about going one and know for the week and if we feel as we do that and play to the best of our ability, disguise the limit.
Speaker 15: But we can't get ahead of ourselves.
Speaker 20: We've got a great matchup with LA this week, take care of that and then we just go on from there. But the big focus right now is just this week.
Speaker 13: Perform defensively.
Speaker 8: You know yourself, Pile, you know, some of those guys get a lot, you know, get a lot of attention. Excusy, how would you describe I guess the impact of there just some of the less earl of guys who you know have pep snap could have had impacted.
Speaker 13: At moments, whether it's guys in twos or Brian Urban and lead push it to guys in terms of fitting into that defensive picture and being in helping defensively.
Speaker 18: As good as us.
Speaker 20: Yeah, I think honestly it just goes back to each and every god being selfless and every guy knowing their role and not trying to be anything that they're not and not trying to get salty or upset that what someone else is doing. Just also more happy for the betterment of the team. And I think that's the mindset of the guys, Like whoever gets the success, we all get the success at the end of the day, because once you do get a ring, we all get one. You know, once you do win a title conference or whatever, everyone gets recognition, not just one player. And I think everyone knows that, and we're just all about the betterment of the team. And that's basically it clown.
Speaker 4: Everyone's kind of I mean, you know, at this point in the career, I think a lot of people are going, you know, how much does this guy kind of have left?
Speaker 11: You can get a sense when you're playing.
Speaker 4: With him that that has been a driving.
Speaker 20: Force for him this year Honestly, I don't think he think about that, Like he thinks about lining up and kicking the man's butt across from him in a sense, and like he's been great this year and I'm grateful to have him as a teammate. I think he has many years left in the tank the way he go out and I see some things that he do, Like people may say he've lost things in there, but I see it week in and week out, like this guy's dangers out there and he's could help any team in his league be better, and he's definitely helping us. So I think it's a great addition and I'm just grateful that he's on my team.
Speaker 9: Topic, but it's kind of the topic of the week for you watching the college football playoff seeding.
Speaker 11: Live and what was your reaction to Georgia being left out of you know.
Speaker 7: Possibly trying to three people.
Speaker 14: Honestly, man, I wasn't watching it live.
Speaker 20: I actually probably found out somebody takes me I think, and was like, dang, it's crazy how they did the dogs. But at the end of the day, I think about it, just like Kirby said, like if you say George is not one of the best four teams, then you're lying to yourself and like, I don't know what you own, blue dust or whatever the.
Speaker 15: Case may be, but that is what it is.
Speaker 20: So you know, I definitely think the Dogs are definitely one of the four best teams in the land, like without a question, And if anyone else disagree with that, it just goes back to opinions. But when you look at it from top to bottom, for sure, but you know it's an opinions with that, So hats off those guys are committee.
Speaker 15: I guess that's what they do.
Speaker 20: That's their job, not my job, so I'm not too focused on it, but I definitely think the Dogs should have been in there.
Speaker 15: In my words, you think the.
Speaker 5: Rams this weekend staff word didn't have any sad last week against the Browns, only one the last three games. I guess we're challenging for you guys to pace the Rams and M and T.
Speaker 20: It's a challenge every week you go out there plan in the NFL because everyone is good. The parod in this league is very small, so any team can beat you any given week, and I think that just credits to their offensive line, like being able to protect him knowing if Stafford is protected. He can do a lot of great things with his arm, so definitely gotta get out of him though. That's our plan, and we're gonna do everything in our power and we're just gonna make make sure we come out play our style of defense, and we feel if we do that, everything else will take care of yourself.
Speaker 11: In a little over a.
Speaker 17: Year since you've joined the Ravens, what's it been like working with this coaching staff that you're talking about in John Harbaugh in particular.
Speaker 20: Honestly, Man, I enjoyed being here so much. A great place to work, Harps, you know, a great leader from top then you know more so with Mike dealing with him every day. I think he's one of most cerebral, brilliant minds in the game, man. And just like the way he create matchups, the way he do things day in and day out, like and create similar pictures and be something different or be the same thing. So I think it's it's great, man, and he just knows how to attack. And I'm just grateful that a minute and plan for such a brilliant mind on the defensive side, and also just having you know, Zo in the room. Former player All Pro Player as well and all the great things hed done throughout the league. Just having that constant reminder as well, I think it's great. And being playing with another baller man is in PQ, so it makes everything a lot better. And then you know, got a lot of really good guys around me from the defensive line to the secondary and as well as the scout team that's giving us look day in and day out. So I'm just grateful to be a part of it.
Speaker 4: It looks like the forecast is rainy and ninety seph Rayne and to wind. How much do can the elements really impact a game?
Speaker 3: Do you feel?
Speaker 20: I definitely feel like it can impact the game from an offensive perspective, but from a defensive perspective, Like I say all the time, you can know you can roll it out out wherever, pavement, trampoline, you want to get out there and play. You want to do it in the lake water polos like, hey, we all about it. We'll go anywhere anytime. We've done it and we don't mind doing it again. So whatever the case may be, we'll be ready, I can promise you up.
Speaker 1: That was linebacker roku wand Smith in the locker room today. We also talk with cornerback Marlin.
Speaker 10: For you, it's you know, meeting after meeting, you know, rep after rep, practice after practice, and then you go into the game and then you're ready to go. So we're kind of just looking for it to Sunday, winning that game and just continue to control we can control.
Speaker 9: Kyle Willmers this year, and he doesn't really seem all that surprised by it.
Speaker 7: I know you've been close.
Speaker 10: Since he got here to baltimoreand what he kind of kind of sticks out to you, doubt is confidence in the way that he goes about just pursuing new things. I think the probably the most interesting thing about Coline. He's a how he walks around here is now who he is on Sunday. He's a really cool guy, cool to hang out with. You would think he plays the way he uh he acts. So that's a really cool thing to see him turn that that switch on and off every Sunday and just become like a he's like a he's like a bully. He's like a bully out there, uh with the stuff he does. So it's really good to see him emerge. I I guess, I mean, I think everybody always saw it, even Edec From the day he was seemed like he was just so excited, not thinking he was gonna be able to draft him, and then draft day came he was able to get him. So I don't think anyone's too surprised. I mean, the guys six or four can play literally any position on defense, it seems like, so nobody's too surprised. But it's really good to see him, you know, flourishing Marland.
Speaker 11: Weather it could be a factor on Sunday.
Speaker 13: How does like, you know, rain and win like they're calling for, how does that affect you, know what you.
Speaker 15: Do out there on Sundays?
Speaker 16: And and also like as defensive player, do you embrace like a weather game like that this late in the season.
Speaker 10: Me personally, I wanna play it in a game where it's ten inches of snow cause then they don't have to throw and I just get the tackles. So the the the worst of the weather, the more fun for me. It's a lot more fun er to the to defend the run instead of you know, trying to defend the past.
Speaker 3: So I think I don't.
Speaker 10: Really know the weather, but if it's rain and snow and it doesn't really affect me, too much, but if anything, it enhances me. Hopefully the ball will be on the ground for their team and not our team and we get.
Speaker 15: The job done. Pants.
Speaker 6: When you think about your boys getting another you.
Speaker 3: Know, I hate I hated for f SU. Yeah, it's tough.
Speaker 10: It's tough, but I mean it's it's it's not the most deserving, you know, it's it's the teams that are the best for teams.
Speaker 7: Is that simple?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 10: I think the committee got it perfect. I mean I think they got it perfect. So sorry to FSU. Uh sorry to Georgia Ohio State, but you know, the Todd is gonna roll. I mean, it's kind of what we do. So really excited for the collegeortball playoffs and uh retal time.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Ravens Press Pass podcast. If you haven't done so already, hit that subscribe button. Also leave a rating and a review. If you want more from this week's head over to the Lounge podcast feed we sit down with running back Katon Mitchell.
Speaker 18: That episode is dropping Thursday mornings, so check that out and subscribe to the lounch Feet as well. Thanks for listening. We'll be back with you again tomorrow.