Speaker 1: Hey, folks, it is Tuesday, July fourteenth, and that nasty diarrhea causing stomach bug is spreading like crazy. However, they think they think they might have found the culprit now and with that, welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ. They think they found the culprit, which might change that salad order that you make. However, most important word I said there was think, think.
Speaker 2: They believe, they're pretty sure.
Speaker 3: We hope maybe.
Speaker 4: Please let this be in Yes, they think it is lettuce. Now, that is a very general thing or way to describe what's causing this because what is that? Is it arugaliz? Is it romaine? Is it package lettuce? Is it heads of lettuce? Is it iceberg?
Speaker 3: Lettuce?
Speaker 4: I mean lettuce, is greens? I mean that is a massive amount of possible produce and it is I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: What do you do with that information?
Speaker 1: Is we're getting an increase in the number of cases. It really has gone off. But let me ask you. Yes, Michigan put out a statements saying they think they've tracked this down again think, but they said their information suggests quote lettuce or salad greens. Now, this might be a very simple way to explain it. But help me what's lettuce versus salad greens?
Speaker 4: I think it's just all leafy greens. But that's a significant amount of produce. And they also said so they said lettuce and salad mixes, and they added as well as other types of fresh produce including raspberries, basil, cilantro, fruit mixes, snow peas, snap peas. I mean, they're just like it could be a lot of things, So greens, salad.
Speaker 1: Greens, lettuce or salad green so anything in a salad us.
Speaker 4: Like, yes, I guess that means buy your what I'm not supposed to do. No, And also, of note, it's just concerning because what are you supposed to do. You're supposed to not eat fresh produce right now?
Speaker 3: I mean, we could take a break, So.
Speaker 2: Just fry everything up and you'll be saved.
Speaker 3: It is a fry it. We have to go from one extreme to the other. An explosive diarrhea or heart disease, your choice.
Speaker 2: No, it's that's hilarious.
Speaker 1: What were supposed to do. So let's give you the update. The update, and it's a significant one.
Speaker 3: Robes.
Speaker 1: We could start with the number in Michigan. Even though that has exploded, keep in mind that's just Michigan. The number there is twenty six hundred and forty. That's the number of cases they have now identified in Michigan. It has gone up significantly over the past week, even even the past several days, we're getting significant updates. But they do say they've had forty four hospitalizations. No deaths have been connected to this. Hospitalization is a big deal to hear. But robes, if I mean just just the numbers game, the more the increase in cases, I mean, just as a manner of proportionality ropes, you're gonna find we're gonna have more hospitations, and god forbid, people start.
Speaker 3: Dying from this.
Speaker 4: Yes, and because there are saying people with a healthy immune system almost always typically recover.
Speaker 2: It's just miserable while you're in the midst of it.
Speaker 4: But if you think about so a sixty nine percent increase, I believe is how it's being reported from Friday to today in terms of the numbers. But also consider this, how many people are suffering at home, not going to the hospital, not going to their doctors, taking some peptobismal or whatever, and just dealing with it, and so they say the numbers are massively underreported. So as significant as these numbers seem, they say, they're probably significantly higher.
Speaker 3: Well, well, if that's it's concern, I don't know how you do this? How do this?
Speaker 1: Many thousands of people get infected with something that means they all had to consume the same something? What was that that's out there that this many people are being impacted by?
Speaker 3: And this is a.
Speaker 1: Thing that you cannot spread human to human, So no, you're not giving it to somebody else in your house. We're all eating something. What in God's name is it that many people impacted in Michigan? But robes, we got thirty one states now, at least thirty one states reporting that they're seeing an increase. Is all happening, but robes, they don't even know if all of those cases are directly related to what's happening in Michigan.
Speaker 4: Yes, it could be different produce in different states, because they haven't named a supplier or a farm or an area where any of this produce is coming from. That all of this sickness or even of food, right and right now already, what are we It's July this year, according to the experts, is already on track to be the biggest year on record in history for cyclistspora incidents.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in Michigan gets fifty sixty cases a year on average. Wow, around twenty six in this current outbreak. Now, rodes we said thirty one states. I guess a lot of people probably sat up and they're probably.
Speaker 3: Wondering, am I in one of those states? There's state?
Speaker 1: Now we're going to give you the states, but Rose, I'm going through them. Looking at the map first, would you say there's an it's clear hmm, there's an area of the country being impacted, right, not being impacted, I should.
Speaker 4: Say, oh, yes, the I would say the Pacific southwest to the Upper Midwest, and just the west in general is much less impacted. And that's interesting because so much produce comes from that area, like California has it's on the map as having some cases, but it doesn't seem extreme. But from Texas going east, and there are a few states who seem to have been spared, interestingly, but there's a concentration of states along the eastern seaboard.
Speaker 1: Looking at this map, does it look like the stuff would move west? Like it's moving west?
Speaker 4: Possibly is that possible, possibly because New York, Michigan, and yeah, those are the two that.
Speaker 1: The northeast uff here maybe, oh my goodness, Okay, So anyway, that's what we are.
Speaker 3: So thirty one states. Are you in one of them?
Speaker 1: We'll give them to you just for giggles here, But yes, Alaska, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, and of course Michigan right now is leading the way.
Speaker 4: But then you have cases in Minnesota, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.
Speaker 2: That is significant.
Speaker 1: How is this is fascinating to think this thing is spreading?
Speaker 3: We don't know how.
Speaker 4: I'm nervous. I've got blueberries in there. We had lettuce last night. I mean, how much did we wash it?
Speaker 2: How much?
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm actually now, I kind of didn't think much, but I just saw how New York actually.
Speaker 2: Is getting worse and worse and worse. So that's scary. We eat a lot of fresh produce in this house.
Speaker 3: We do.
Speaker 1: We need to change some things. But again, Robe, it's it's how many people. How do they track two hundred and twenty six hundred people in Michigan?
Speaker 3: Does that mean all of them had to have been tested?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: They got medical absolutely right.
Speaker 2: They have been confirmed cases.
Speaker 4: So they actually went to their doctors and said, I can't you stop this explosive diarrhea?
Speaker 2: Can you help?
Speaker 4: And so they've gone to get treatment and they do recommend treatment. We can get into that in a bit.
Speaker 1: But again to your some people do they know to go? Will it be so bad that everybody goes to the doctor? To your point earlier, how many people are sitting at home just suffering and not a lot.
Speaker 4: Of people because it's an embarrassing thing. Let's be honest, it is embarrassing. Maybe not for everybody, But do you really want to go to your doctor and say, yes, so I'm having this explosive diarrhea. I mean yes, when you're in trouble and you need help, you will do what you need. But I think a lot of people might reconsider going to the doctor because, yes, it is an embarrassing thing to admit for some people.
Speaker 3: Man you need. How bad does a diarrhea have to be that.
Speaker 4: You go to the docta because you actually get dehydrated and you actually get weak, and if you can't stop, if you can't stop your body, you do need help.
Speaker 2: You do need intervention.
Speaker 1: So we've been talking about you've been hearing about it in the headlines for a little bit now, but cyclospora and the simplest way to explain it's a parasitic infection and it causes, yes, watery diarrhea, is how they explain. It is not usually fatal, Like you said, Rose, there is some treatment. Most people, if you have a healthy immune system, would be okay, But we wanted to give you the information directly from the CDC.
Speaker 4: Yes, so they say this parasite. You get it by ingesting food or water that contains this parasite. And they say, look, you may or may not experience all of the symptoms, but this infects the small intestine of your bowel.
Speaker 2: Yes, it causes.
Speaker 4: Watery diarrhea with frequent and sometimes explosive bowel movements. So this is I saw someone in Ohio saying this is incredibly disruptive, and that might be one way to put it. You can't be you have to be near a bathroom at all times. Basically when you're experiencing this is that.
Speaker 1: I guess it's weird to even ask, how do that? What's the distinction? I guess maybe you'll just know, But what is the distinction? Why do they even call it explosive?
Speaker 4: Well, I think just because of the experience you're having, yes on the toilet. But they're also saying it may last from a few days to over a month, and then they say symptoms may seem to go away and then return one or more times. Relapse is very common, and that's why if you don't treat it, it doesn't necessarily just go away on its own. It might lessen, but it might come back. You really need to get help when you're dealing with this. So if you've got if you have these symptoms and they're not going away, you do need to seek help.
Speaker 3: And they might not hit immediately.
Speaker 1: They say the time between you're becoming infected and becoming sick is usually about a week.
Speaker 4: That's why it's hard to pin down what's causing it because normally if you have if you eat something and then three, four, even twelve hours later, you get sick, you can say, Okay, what are the last two things I ate?
Speaker 2: But a week later.
Speaker 1: Ro So that part is scary because folks, somebody could be consuming something today that we don't find out until next week they're even sick.
Speaker 3: So how do you know what you ate a week ago? Oh?
Speaker 1: My goodness, gracious, But they say, yes, it can range from two days to two weeks or more before you actually become sick. And now the people who are most risk rogues maybe increase risk when living or traveling in tropical or subtropical regions of the world where it's an endemic. In the US, though, they say outbreaks have been linked to various types of fresh produce. People can get infected. Yes, if you get it once, you can turn around and get it again.
Speaker 2: Ooh all right.
Speaker 4: So yes, they do recommend if you are experiencing symptoms to absolutely see your health care provider because there is treatment available. You can us in the symptoms and you can certainly shorten the duration and you want to get help. Look, there have been times when I have traveled around the world where I know I'm in trouble, Like you've got a fever. You can't leave your apartment or your home. You've got to get help. And those I have in moments, and it's been from travel where I have been like, yep, I need help.
Speaker 3: It's weird. You don't mess around when you travel.
Speaker 1: But to think some of those same precautions we often take, well, don't even even if you wash your fruit in some places, don't wash it with the water from that place. You got to use bottled water. Like, we get these instructions. And we've gone to more places than most, I guess, and places maybe that don't have always world countries breaking water and whatnot. But to think we have to apply those rules here, well, that.
Speaker 2: Is what is scary. We're not used to.
Speaker 4: You know, Yes, if I'm in India or if I'm in certain countries in Africa, I'm going to brush my teeth with bottled water, yes, and so we understand that. But yes, here in America, we don't think anything. And if you here's the deal. This actually is concerning. The New York Times did our whole article on this, and they said that, yes, while you should wash your fresh produce, they say washing will not completely remove the parasite, it can reduce the numbers and the risk of illness.
Speaker 2: But that's crazy.
Speaker 4: They're actually recommending, in moments like these, for you to peel produce anything that has a removable skin like because washing alone doesn't necessarily get rid of this bag.
Speaker 3: What does that bag mean? I've been guilty of this. You know, you get the bags pre washed.
Speaker 2: They say to not do that.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: It says pre washed, and sometimes says triple washed.
Speaker 4: Yes, And you know what, I take their word for it, and I eat it, and they're saying, right now, do not do that. Done that they're actually recommending not actually buying those bags, but instead buying the heads of lettuce, taking off the outer layers, and then of course washing it and then consume it.
Speaker 3: What lettuce is good right now? What lettuce is safe? Right now?
Speaker 4: I don't know that anybody feels good. We have a bunch of lettuce in our refrigerator right now.
Speaker 3: Even the lettuce is the thing? Oh my goodness, all right?
Speaker 1: And the other thing here, how is this thing spread? Yes, we're talking about people that eating food drink water that was contaminated, yes, with feces. Takes one to two weeks in the environment for a cycle sport to become infectious.
Speaker 3: After passing in a bowel.
Speaker 2: Ye speak, little oral. It's the worst possible thing.
Speaker 1: But again because of that, direct person to person transmission is unlikely, they say, So, it's not spreading that way.
Speaker 3: We're all consuming something that's making us sick. What in God's name is it? And thank god it's not killing folks, Thank goodness, thanks, because it is spreading like wildfire. They don't know.
Speaker 1: Now we've given you some of the answers from the CDC, but stay here. We're gonna explain why you beta. Stay tuned to our feed today because we have a guest coming up who is going to be able to answer your questions.
Speaker 3: We're excited to have them on.
Speaker 4: Stay here, Welcome back everyone to this episode of Amy and TJ. And we are talking about well kind of what everyone's talking about and fearing and loathing and hoping it doesn't happen to them.
Speaker 2: Yes, I know.
Speaker 4: By now you all have heard about the cyclist spora outbreak that Michigan has been basically the red zone, the hot zone, the target. But it is spreading. We just looked at a map. If you want to just google this online you will see if your state's involved. But thirty plus states now are reporting heightened or increased numbers of cyclist Spora incidents. And look, this is nothing that anyone wants to deal with, and if it goes untreated, it could last up to a month or more. And just when you hear the words explosive diarrhea, I'm desperate, as is everyone to figure out what not to eat so as to not have to experience that awful situation.
Speaker 3: Usually there's just spicy food for me. This is different.
Speaker 4: Yes, this is healthy food and you can't even wash it away necessarily. And right now, yes, there are reports that they believe that possibly could be linked to lettuce. Wow, that's very unhelpful. What does that mean? What products, which farm? What type of lettuce?
Speaker 2: Is anything green concerning?
Speaker 4: We have a lot of questions and so luckily we have a microbiologist in the family.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Papa Robak is going to be long later. We have Actually we don't check in with him enough and use him as a resource. But this is to explain. Yes, we say microbiologists, but this is his lane. This is what your dad does. Every time we go anywhere, there is a tip about what we should or should not eat. I will never get out of my head. Don't ever eat a sprout. DJ, don't ever eat a sprout, yes, because you can never really clean it.
Speaker 4: Dangerous food in the world are sprouts. That's one of my favorite tips. But he spent his entire career on food safety, so he is the man with all of the answers. And so actually, I'm going to put this on on my social media and we'll get the show Amy and TJ podcast on Instagram to put this up, but we'll ask please, oh yeah, and.
Speaker 2: Just completely completely You're right.
Speaker 4: I'll get it on your I'll get it on your story as well, but we'll ask please send us your questions at TJ wow r Wait, what is it?
Speaker 2: What's your handle?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, this is this is devastating.
Speaker 2: It pops up when I when I put on insta what's your handle there?
Speaker 4: Oh? Yes, I knew that official TJ Holmes, Oh my goodness, and uh at a J Roebock.
Speaker 2: But is it? Wait? I don't even know my own.
Speaker 3: That's hilarious, going great this morning? Don't you think you know what?
Speaker 2: This is amazing?
Speaker 4: I don't even know my own Instagram handle, but I'm sure y'all will find it. We'll ask you for your questions. So any questions you may have about Cyclospora the outbreak, please send them our way and we will include them in our interview with Michael Robock, which we're gonna have up later this afternoon, so please check it out. This is of well, it's urgent right now at this point in this country, and so we need some answers and we have the guy who can.
Speaker 2: Answer your questions for you, so please stay tuned for that.
Speaker 4: But in the meantime, we always appreciate you listening to us.
Speaker 2: Everyone.
Speaker 4: I made me robot alongside official TJ Holmes.
Speaker 2: We'll talk to you soon.