Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go. Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Are you ready for a break? Absolutely? Ready for a break? Yeah, and so much for that.
Speaker 1: It's time for the Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com. We were on right with Ambar Garcia, Brian brought us, Votch Lombardi and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 4: It is Wednesday, June eleven, twenty twenty five, Season twenty one, episode number fourteen. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break. We are a lot in s WBC Mortgage Studios at the Star. We are recovering from a late dinner last night, or at least three of us are I. Amber didn't go, I did.
Speaker 5: I got you didn't get that invite?
Speaker 6: I sent it to shut It was.
Speaker 7: Great money looking for No we don't violence.
Speaker 2: Run here, fantastic dinner, man, y'all about it? Describe it well.
Speaker 8: First thing is, first I had to get counsel, right, I had to call my mother. I said, mother, we're having this company dinner thing to celebrate the draft show and the you know how we did and all that. She said, son, don't go in there and order everything. I was like, mom, Jerry Jones writ in The Chick she said while going in order everything and everything.
Speaker 2: I was like, all right, cool, and Brian Bronce confirmed it again.
Speaker 8: So we we ordered a little bit of everything, but very much, thanks very much man, thank you, mister Jones.
Speaker 7: That I love that. For y'all, that's great, that's amazing.
Speaker 2: I'll be hating.
Speaker 7: No, I'm being genuine.
Speaker 6: Almost dinner do we need for some much dinner?
Speaker 7: And Laura at some point.
Speaker 4: Okay for you and Laura will do almost dinner and we'll go to no.
Speaker 9: But glad to glad that you had the chance to experience the paid for Jerry paid by Jerry mill.
Speaker 2: I feel that that's that. That was that was thank you so much er.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so I'm glad.
Speaker 5: I didn't get to tell the story about the time at the combine where the like I never drank wine before, you know, I'm not a big wine drinker, and like the gentleman past the table and he said, would like some wine? I said no, no, thank you. Chris Hall from College Skanglan ever goes she might want to get a glass at this one. I said, really, what's up? He goes, that's a six thousand dollars bottle of line going on the table, and there were two of them going around at the same time. I said, well, it's great working for this football team right now. But yeah, got my six thousand dollars glass of wine.
Speaker 4: Some of the perks, some of the perks, some of the perks. All right, we got a lot of things we're going to get into today. We're going to spend a lot of our time today talking doing a twenty twenty five off season rap. I got some interesting questions. Hopefully they're interesting questions for you guys to basically paint the picture of what the offseason has been before we get there, though, I didn't want to have a take some time to talk about a couple observations from OTAs that have happened here this week. Yesterday, half practice, if practice today, they'll have a walk through tomorrow, and then the players and coaches will have time to kind of get away and breathe a little bit before we had the training camp uh in late July. So let's get into some of those observations. I think the biggest thing coming out of yesterday, and obviously you follow Dallas Cowboys dot Com, you follow one on five out three of the fan you follow all the different places where you can get Cowboys content. Everybody's talking about this chemistry between Dak and Pickens. I'm gonna throw out these three different observations I have, and what I want you guys to do is tell me does it mean nothing or does it mean something?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 4: The chemistry that was being talked about with regards to Dak and Pickens, and we saw some of those big plays that they were they were able to make. H means something or means nothing.
Speaker 2: Chemistry is fine.
Speaker 8: Chemistry kind of newity is cool, but better dudes is awesome, you know. And and and we've seen Dak go to camp and he'll make some wide receiver that we haven't heard of, you know, a camp name. You know these these guys, these undrafted guys. Hey, TJ. Vasher caught a great pass, a well placed pass from Dak. But it's just something about like a real superstar wide receiver then another real superstar wide receiver. I think you're going to see a lot more of that. So I'm I'm buying into it. And it doesn't have to be chemistry. We've we've watched Pickens catch terrible passes from terrible quarterbacks career. So all Dak has to do is throw good passes to George Pickens. Well, that's a lot of chemistry right there, Brian brought us, So I'm definitely buying incidentficchempisry.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I tell you what I mean. I thought it was going to take a little bit, you know, and we were a little bit concerned going in how much availability that Dak would practice, and then all of a sudden you kind of got the green light from initial you know, practices that we were able to attend as the media. So that was a positive. I was thinking, oh, maybe some side stuff dockyard, you know, trying to catch things up, you know, by the time we get to it to auctionary, but it already looks like that these two have found a way to kind of connect on some things. And that's the great thing about George Pickens. And we've talked about this a bunch. When you're a guy that can contort and be a bad ball catcher, put the ball wherever, you know, he's going to make a lot of plays. And I think that's the best thing in the world for quarterback, not just Dak Prescott, mean anybody. You have a guy that is a bad ball catcher even when the balls are good, man, that's a big plus. I think where you're going to take even advantage of George Pickens even more is Dak's accuracy hitting him on the move and letting him go, because there's a lot of times in George Pickens's career where we haven't been able to see him take advantage of really what kind of ball carry is once he gets the ball in his hands.
Speaker 9: Well, based on history and time of things that we've watched during training camp and practices not really carry over to game day plays and fans saying well that doesn't mean anything, n.
Speaker 7: DA, Well, what else do you want us to talk about? That is what is currently happening.
Speaker 9: There's nothing else to talk about on the team than what you get to observe during these practices and better be positive, So be happy and get excited. Whether it's going to translate on the field and the game day or not, that is yet to be seen. We gotta wait. But at the moment, this is exciting. This is something new, and it's definitely something to keep looking forward to as we continue to move along.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Brian, you mentioned the accuracy of Dak and some of these quicker routes. I saw yesterday. One of the plays that really stood out to me. It was kind of a whip route for those wh't know what that is, kind of a break in and then you kind of whip back out to the outside, and it showed Pickens' ability to be able to create separation number one, because he got like two yards on the defender and then catches the ball and he's up the field and headed toward the end zone. And that was the kind of thing where I'm like, I think the beauty of having these two receivers in this offense is going to give you that ability that if a team is going to say we're going to play man coverage or even in a zone situation where these guys are going to have the ability to be able to create separation and get the ball in their hands. Now it can turn into a really big playoff of something that's really a simple route. And that's what I think the Cowboys have missed for a little bit here. Since the time then they had a Mario Cooper, they haven't had two guys that were able to do that consistently.
Speaker 5: The challenge is now with this, with these with the coordinator and the head coach and the offensive staff, really is to find ways to take advantage of that, don't you know Ambar's talking about. There's some positivity that you've seen, absolutely, and that's great. We saw a little bit of the quick game last week. Looked like yesteraid a little bit more of the ball going to the outside. You know, watch and I always talk about this though, you know, trying to extend the offense. You know, we don't the hooks, the curls and things like that. Try and to extend this offense. And you could do that. Put these guys on the move. We've seen CD on the move. We've seen George Pickens on the move. These guys make plays. So yeah, the thing about is that that ability. The challenge now is for Brian Schottenheimer and the staff is to make sure that they have a lot of things available to Dak and a lot of the ways that he can get the ball to these guys. Don't just limit this thing. These guys are too good of players just to kind of limit them. Make sure that you're able to keep that playbook wide open, but take advantage of some of the things that are really really good at.
Speaker 4: Let's move to observations number two. Tight in REVN span Ford got some looks with the starters that mean something.
Speaker 2: I mean nothing that's odd, isn't it?
Speaker 5: Uh? And then I asked if I asked if Ferguson was injured, and I got no, he's just fine. I think they're trying to make span Ford more comfortable with the offense, and I think if span Ford can get his he needs to be. He's a big guy. He's not very nimble when it comes to past receiving. You look at his hands, hand placement. You know, if he could kind of control that and be able to be a little bit more secure in the way that he places his hands, he's going to have a lot of times where guys are on his back. There's not a lot of separations, so he's got to find a way to be more comfortable. The routes were very limited with him last year. More of a blocker, but he has the kind of ability though, if he could just work on being more secure and confident in his hands, they might actually find something here.
Speaker 8: That is fair brown. But then I thought about something what if we're really going to get run game stuff like we we we've been hearing coaches preaching to us, right, Hey, man, we're going to run the football this year. We gonna run the football this year. Hell, we'll go out and throw it fifty times a game. That's cool. But Brevin span Ford is your running BLOCKI guy Schoolmaker is your running blocky guy. So if Ferguson is healthy, I don't think Ferguson just rode out the.
Speaker 2: Bed bad at ball one day.
Speaker 8: Right, Maybe in my mind this is some kind of all right, we're gonna do mostly runs in this drill, right, just mostly run fits and things of that nature. And if you're a head coach OC and you want to use personnel properly, I would imagine that if you're gonna run the ball most of the time, Brevin span Ford, who's like two seventy, and Jake's a cool running blocker, but Brevin span Ford is two seventy. So I don't I don't think this is gonna be a thing. This is still early camp. If we get the training camp and Brevin's out there day one with the ones, that we can come back and talk about it on the break and try to get some views for it. But I think this is more you know, Brevin leaning on people. This is you know, working with Terrence Steele leaning on people, and those guards and all those guys don't I don't think Jake's going anywhere.
Speaker 9: I believe exactly the same thing. I think it's too early to take anything else a true indicator of what's gonna actually happen. I think once we do get into training camp, that's when you're more careful about who's getting the most reps with what team, first team, second team, and all of that, because then you're really truly starting to prepare for the season. At this moment, I think it's a good thing to give other guys opportunities and let them try things, and let's take a quick look before we get into training camp, so that they have a better idea into what kind of concept. Who are we really trying to focus on once we get there in California.
Speaker 8: One thing that greatly bothered me last year is we went into this season knowing, Okay, you're gonna need Tyler Guidon, you're gonna need Cooper Bebe and just one day and practice. Me and Brian just talking about it they're with the third team, but they don't over there? What over there? And the reasoning was also they can get more reps. How about more reps versus the first team guys, because when we get to the games, that's who they're going to be seeing. So maybe Brevin has a new role this year where hey, Brevin, we need you and you're probably gonna be blocking first team edge guys. So let's not put you against the third team edge guys. Let's put you against some real dudes so that you can get acclimated so that you can know what blocking with Terrence is like as opposed to blocking with how came a dyenergy or something like that. So maybe there's just more for Brevin there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll even throw this in, I think as an addition to that point, I think they if you really want to be able to use Brevan sport Breen span Ford more on, because you're going to be having more rundowns, you probably want to improve his pass catching a little bit more comfortable with that because if you're more comfortable with that, then you don't have to tip your hand and take him off the field planning to throw. You can keep him on the field, and he can be a kind of a dual threat and someone that can really work in I don't think this is about Ferguson.
Speaker 6: I think this is about development.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's exactly right. I mean, I think everybody's made really good points about this. The thing that bothers me about span Ford is though he just he doesn't look comfortable catching the ball. You know, it looks like he fights it a little bit. And the more that you can get him in comfortable and running round and then Dak and the other quarterbacks having the ability to get him the ball, and then he could he could show k hand placement. Okay, if I'm if I got a guy on my back, Okay, I gotta protect and I got to extend, you know, you know, And I think that's really that's the one thing. If you want span fourd to jump this year, make him a better pass catcher, that would be a big, big, big thing for him.
Speaker 8: But I will say, you know, this may not be about Jake, but what does it say about Luke. You know, Luke is a second round pick, and you have expectations for round less than Brevin, probably a little more than Jake.
Speaker 4: Though, Yeah, I feel you I feel you on that. I'm just saying though, I think Brevin is is such a physical specimen and that's also why I think if you can get him comfortable and you can as a as an offensive play call, if you can be comfortable with him catching the ball, he becomes a really legitimate option just because of his size. One that is a that is a big, big target on top of the fact that he is a big man and a hard man to take down. So I think if you can get him more involved in the passing game, it only helps your offense.
Speaker 5: Well, let the apologies for Schoonmaker speak now, if you don't mind. I think I'm looking right at the camera Roucher, you know, and I'm saying it with mas so yeah, to me, this is you know, I think with Scoonmaker, I think they know what they have in Schoonmaker. I think Scoomaker Schoonmaker showed he can actually catch the football.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: There were times when when Jake Ferguson was out and we're like, oh, geez, here we go. You know, yeah, the same stuff needs to be a little bit better, But there were some routes where he was able to make some catches you and make some you know, and receptions and they're like, Okay, well maybe this guy's not a bust. I know, everybody was kind of tagging him that type of a guy, but he he showed some things playing. I kind of feel like that this the the plan going in was how can we push span Ford to get in the level of maybe the other two. That's why I think this one's really really all about.
Speaker 4: All right, let's get to our final observation here. Michael Parsons was here. He is here in the building, but he is not practicing. Means something or means nothing.
Speaker 2: He's around. He's a superstar.
Speaker 8: You know, if you a superstar and you have seniority, you can do some things that the other guys can't do. That's ball has been that way for years, even when I was around. You know, if I'm a freshman, I can't do things that the superstar singis can.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 8: So at least he's around, you know what I mean. At least he's talking to coaches, he's talking to his teammates. He may not be practicing because of money and all that, but being around is better than not being around or in cobo with something so good.
Speaker 9: I mean, yeah, absolutely, definitely good that he's around and some of the comments that were made yesterday despite him not practicing, it was said that he was talking to younger guys and giving them advice and being that voice of a leadership that Jerry Jones has mentioned before that they're looking for in a guy like him to voice his knowledge and his opinion and help these younger players. So that's something positive. At the same time, I still want to see out there. We've seen it happen with Ceedee Lamb when they were working that contract and it took him a while, and then we saw it in games and he took a few games. I'm not saying we're there yet, but still that's something to keep an eye. You want your player and not that he cannot be ready. But in that case, let's say for some reason now he's holding out. Even though he said that he's not gonna hold out, he's gonna show up a training camp and he's expected to show up and practice. We still don't know because we're not there yet. If that doesn't go that way and he is holding out, what is that?
Speaker 7: What does that look like when games?
Speaker 9: You know, we head into the season, We've seen it before where it takes a few games to get your body back into that shape, that pro level shape. So I don't know, it's just I'm kind of getting over it, this whole situation.
Speaker 5: The age's onto something here. I'm gonna say it's a bad thing for sure. I'm saying it's a bad thing because to me, I feel like this is a two way street. You know, you know, you need to find way to get David Mulagetta to the table, and the Joneses need to find a way to get to David Mullagetta. This is a two way street here, you know, if there needs to be a sense of urgency here, you know, with with you know, and and you know, my understanding is that the Cowboys have made some calls, you know, and you know Mullageta. You know, has there been discussion here of a lake. No, there hasn't. Where there's some early indications of some calls. Absolutely there were some. So something needs to be done. This doesn't need to get to training camp like we were with Zeke and Zach Martin and CD Lamb. You know, this thing needs to be done, and it really is both sides, it really is. I think that's what Jerry Jones was maybe conveying to him yesterday when they had the opportunity to stand out there on the field and talk. He's like, listen, you know, I think the Cowboys do want to negotiate. I think they. I think David Mulagedta I think that you know, he understands where he is at. But these two sides do need to come together. They do need to talk. They need to get this done before training camp. This does not need to be in something. If I, and this is just me, the form personnel guy, if I had an understanding that I was gonna maybe look at a potential holdout, I'm going to sign von Miller right now is what I'm gonna go do. I'm gonna go out there and I'm going to and I'm going to make this something. I'm going to protect myself and I'm going to say, listen, I've got to find a way if if this turns into prolonged holdout. And I'm just saying if, but if it turns into that, I've got to make up for sixteen sacks. So not just all about von Miller, but about piecing it together where you have guys get sixteen sacks and make up for that. But you got to protect yourself here. If you're the Dallas Cowboys, I think they're probably thinking about, you know, something like that. But I think that the main thing to do here would be both sides get to get to the table and figure this thing out before we get to ok start all.
Speaker 6: Right, We're going to take our first break.
Speaker 4: When we come back, we're going to define U or we're actually going to look at several positions, look at what the Cowboys have gained and what the Cowboys have lost this offseason, and we'll ask you guys the question have they gotten better worse? Or the saying we'll be back Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 10: Back to the break, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable and is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five g it is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and t five G fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 2: Five G requires compatible plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See atd dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 11: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy liftball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 12: Don't put off getting your oil change Dallas. Take five oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys, is faster than you think. They're so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take fives. Stay in your car ten minute oil change at any of their locations across the Dallas area, and remember at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think that means you won't even have time to show off your best touchdown celebration.
Speaker 5: Take five, the official.
Speaker 2: Oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 13: From the field to the festivities.
Speaker 14: Lu Casey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stay in tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey Store at the Starn Frisco or online at lucasey dot Com.
Speaker 13: Lucasey the official boot.
Speaker 14: Of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders Come back to the.
Speaker 9: Break lgoled evo is the best TV in the game, But don't take our word for it.
Speaker 7: Digital Trends said that l g.
Speaker 9: Og four has the best picture quality they've ever seen. C for yourself at lg dot com. Slash oh let.
Speaker 2: Evo Welcome back.
Speaker 4: It is the second segment of the Breakway Life from the s w b C Mortgage Studios at the star of the segment so you also brought to you by Blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 2: All right, here we go.
Speaker 7: Let's do some that's right, I was gonna talk some crape. Where are those TVs that you promise for the fans?
Speaker 2: You know, talking credits?
Speaker 4: We are working on it.
Speaker 2: Can give me. By the way, you're the one who we got air.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got a whole season.
Speaker 6: Just let's let me work.
Speaker 9: Let me about that.
Speaker 3: Let me work.
Speaker 2: Can I have one of these when y'all get the.
Speaker 6: They're not for in here for fans.
Speaker 4: We're trying to work out some TV for fans.
Speaker 5: Watch and are doing some work. We might need to talk to our people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, evy oh, shout at the EBO. Huh the ebo LG evil.
Speaker 4: Yes, you guys, you can get a TV.
Speaker 6: Flash the smile, so you can get a TV with me.
Speaker 2: All right, here we go.
Speaker 6: We're gonna play a little better, worse, same. All right.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna put out a position. I'm gonna tell you the players at the Cowboys lost. I'm gonna tell you the players that the Cowboys gained. You tell me if they're better, worse, or the same. Let's start with the linebacker who I knew you're gonna do this. They lost Eric Kendricks and Nick Vigil. They gained Kenneth Murray and Jack Sanborn better, worse.
Speaker 6: Same, I'll say it, sure, go for it.
Speaker 2: Better.
Speaker 5: They got better. They absolutely got it. Now we'll see what happens. I do like the Sanborn signing a lot when you watch him play with the Bears. I think there's things. There's times when when you watch linebackers and they undercut, say blocks, and they're thinking, like they undercut that block, They're not going to get back and make that play. Sky is ability, It's it's it's uncanny how he's able to kind of dip underneath and get back on place. I think he's got a really good understanding of where the ball is. I think he's a smart guy. I think he could play him coverage. I think he plays well at the point of attack. You know, Eric Kendricks was that kind of guy. Eric kind of got worred down as the season war on. I mean a lot. You know, he's a double digit tackle. Good for him, But I think they got better. I think I think people look at look at the if you if you're a believer in metrics and stuff like at Pro Football Focus, the Tennessee linebackers were rated as the worst. Some of the worst linebackers in the league last year. Is that them or is that the scheme? I've seen Murray played a much higher level. I think that maybe some things with Tennessee didn't really translate to the strengths of what Murray can do. I think he's going to give you that that better player that we saw with with the with the Chargers, I'm I'm I'm bullish on both of these signings. I think they're going to be better.
Speaker 8: There are so many factors here because we're all just waiting on, waiting on Demo. Man, when Demo's on the field, the linebacker room looks totally different. I would love to know what happens when he gets healthy, what happens to the guys that are on the field at that point. But we'll had that conversation in November, December or something like that. But you have a linebacker whisperer now, And to Bryan's point, you know, Kennied Murray's a guy that had a lot of natural talent, and you know his downs are like kind of down, you go, damn, boy, that's that's down, but his ups are super up. So if you have a linebacker whisperer now, then I guess you would just look for making those ups consistently up. So I have a lot of faith in what Kenny Murray can do. I really like Kendricks last year, but it's gonna depend on Demo when he comes back and how healthy he's gonna be. I want to know what happens to Luisfoule. You know, louisfoul had to play a little bit last year. How much is he gonna get better? But sam Born this year is probably what Kendricks was last year, right like, Hey, we got a new DC, I know everything, let me do this, let me do this.
Speaker 5: So yeah, this guy was sion a little bit super productive for Eberflyiss. That gives that right there in itself gives me some hope.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so yeah better.
Speaker 9: I'd say they have the potential to be better right now. To me, they're about the same again overshown that's a huge factor right there. But I do see Leo Fao, a guy like him taking the next step. He showed so much that was good last year when he was thrown in there. I believe he's gonna get even better this year. So overall, right now, I feel they're around the same. But I do see a lot more potential to be better.
Speaker 2: Some old dudes, some young dudes, same thing.
Speaker 4: All right, let's talk about the running back position. Rico Dados, who they lost, they gained, Gavonte Williams, Miles Sanders, Jayden Blue better worse, saying I.
Speaker 8: Don't want to say nothing bad about Zeke on the radio, man he not here no more. But boy, I was just befuddled at not only running back, but how we use running back. I say week because I'm a Cowboy fan, how they use running back. I think ric O'Dowda was clearly the better guy. He was the bestest running back that we had on the roster. There will be sometimes it seemed like the Cowboys we try to force other players. Rigo got sick one game in San France, and and boy, he was just found on the sidelines. Just find the next I wonder, I want to know what happened there. I would love to just ask questions what happened there. So, even if the talent last year was better, mismanagement made your running back situation terrible. Scheme made your running back situation terrible. I'm watching Zeke. Shouts out of Zeke. Zeke is good at some things. But while we're running cracked tosses with Zeke, that's not his game, right, So so even play calling here means something. I think with your new coaches, I think running back automatically gets two ticks better. You finally got a juice guy two ticks better. You got some got some old characters. But by way of how running back is, you never know who your best running back is going to be until they're on the field running better than everybody else. So I think you have to say that the running back situation is better talent wise, I don't know, but the running back situation for sure is much better than it was last year, assuming Seinenheimen is not running cracked tosses with Phil moff And and Williams or something like that.
Speaker 2: But I don't know. We'll see.
Speaker 9: I think they didn't end up getting that crazy explosive running back that you were hoping to be like the guy. But I'm one hundred percent in agreement with everything that you said, and I think I don't like it that much though, but I have to say what I have to.
Speaker 5: I'd be worried.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but.
Speaker 9: No, the thing is, I think it comes down more tours, Like what's happening with the coaching, that's where the improvement really is, and what's happening with the O line. I do believe it's going to improve in that area. The play calling along with that, they're gonna be able. My expectation is they're going to be able to call better plays and position players in the best way possible, like really cater to what they're best at and not just doing random things and hoping for the best.
Speaker 5: Boy, I don't I swing so violently about this position because I want them to prove me wrong. I really really do. I have a lot of questions about the running backs, but in the media portions of practice, everybody's told me about you know, oh, it looks like that Miles sand has got some jews. So look at this run. Look at this. I know what Blue is. I'm excited about Blue. I really really am excited about that one. The other ones I have a question mark about, you know, those are the you know the others. I kind of know what Williams is. I think he catches a ball. Well, he's a pass blocker. Can they put this together to make get a back that, you know, when they need it? They have a guy that can handle that job. But man, I go from like, oh, the things are gonna be fine too, Boy, they're gonna have to really switch this thing up. I do not have a great answer for this one, because I feel like though I'm kind of teetering towards please prove me wrong. I'm not on board with what's going on right now, but please prove me wrong. I will happy to say that I was wrong about a position, but I violently swing on this one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in my opinion, I think the interesting thing here is that last year, I think a lot of the issues and the successes when they had them in the run game were more about the offensive line than the running back particularly, And I think right now I look at this group and I think they have another different skill sets with these running backs to where they can piece them together to get a good running game if the offensive line plays their part. And I do expect the offensive line is gonna be a little bit better, And if that happens, I think the running game will be a little bit better because they will have guys that can do more than what they had. They could get out of those two that twosome from last year. All Right, real quick before we go to break. This's when I think I put in here just because I think we have to say it. I think I know what everybody's answer is going to be, though. But wide receiver you lose Brandon Cooks, you gain George Pickens better, worse, same.
Speaker 2: George Piggins is a dude. Wide receivers better better.
Speaker 5: And if you'd asked the question about the offensive line, I think we'd had an argument.
Speaker 4: Well, we're gonna do a whole show about the offensive line, Okay, when we get the training camp.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, great, games are better.
Speaker 4: All right, let's go ahead and go to our first final break. When we come back, we'll talk about the defensive end position. I do think there's some interesting conversation to be had there. And a guy that Brian actually liked a lot last year, Carl Lawson that's no longer on this team, still sitting out there in free agency. I heard you mentioned another name May He's a guy they ought to be looking at if they happen to need a pass rusher.
Speaker 6: We'll talk about that when we come back.
Speaker 4: This is Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 15: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an LG ole led Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play, every hit, I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines.
Speaker 2: That's how clear it is.
Speaker 15: It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 2: No one comes close. Lgoled Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason.
Speaker 15: See for yourself at LG dot com slash o Leedevo.
Speaker 3: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Lagon Turf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 13: If you shout how about them Cowboys, you have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper. You love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet. Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 2: The wins will be even tasteier. It's a pepper thing, and we're going to overtime.
Speaker 4: Erica how much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 16: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankfamerica dot com, slash ericup by your side. Bank of America, Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses me very digital tools featured require downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is mobile feature only available in the Elish language. Your chap maybe recorded and monitored for quality assurance. Message data RAS and additional terms may apply. Thank with America and a number fdic.
Speaker 10: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, Secure five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area.
Speaker 2: See add dot com slash five G for you for details. Back to the break.
Speaker 7: ATNT Connecting changes everything and.
Speaker 6: You're really good at that.
Speaker 7: Thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Welcome back his final segment of the break Laugh in the s WBC Wuggage studios at the Star We're doing better, worse?
Speaker 5: Same?
Speaker 4: Let's talk defensive end Cowboys lost to Marcus Lawrence, Chauncey Golston, Karl Lawson and they have added Dante followed your Peyton Turner and Donovan as a roku. Are they better, worse or the same.
Speaker 8: We're gonna have to see what Kneeland brings to the party here, like you know, we we know that he's an upside pass rushy guy, but he's really a rundown guy, and you know the end is rundowns and pass rushing. I got a question about pass rushing when we've done here. But you know last year were you know, Chauncey Gohoston was a guy that was that was being championed here, right, And Chauncey played well, But you want Chauncey to play well as like your fourth edge guy. You don't want Chauncey to be like your first edge guy. You know, we talked about Carl Last and Carl Lawson play cool, but you want him to be like later on down the line, right, You really want superstar type stuff, you know type guys. Dante Fowler was here, and even when he was playing here and there, we're like, hey, Dante Fowler is the better pass rush here. Why isn't Dante Fowler playing? And then he goes to Washington with Dan Quinn. I'm curious how that works out, and he gets all the reps there and he's a double digit SAT guy. So I can only imagine that when Dante gets here he'll be you as a double digit SAT guy. Donovan Azeraku's fun.
Speaker 2: Sure. I would say that edge kind of gets a little bit better. We'll see got better.
Speaker 5: I think, you know, and and and watch and I do our work on the draft show. We we talked about with Azeraku and what you know, there were there were a lot of not just media scouts, there were a lot of guys that I talked to around the league that the scouts that were like, really really high on this player. Dallas feels like they stole one here. If you visit with people in there in the organization and you know, with the coaches and stuff, they'll tell you they stole one. And as Araka, We'll see how it all plays out for him. But he is the one guy that you know, when we were watching tape and watch and I were doing the college stuff him, Mike Green from Marshall ended up at Baltimore. You know, these these were guy bendy, get underneath blockers, cause problems, that kind of guy. I mean, it's a lot different having to coach those guys. The guy's already got the talent. You just got to make sure you put him in position to make those kinds of plays. I do think they got better though, but they've got But I'll tell you what though, they they've got to get this my cam Parsons sing Den and like we talked about earlier, really the sooner the better.
Speaker 9: Well counting with Micah Parsons, someone that let's say, did through, go through the training camp and we're set to go.
Speaker 7: For the start of the season. I like how this group looks.
Speaker 9: I think they are better and when you start looking at also the combination with the defensive tackles and what's happening there, that's something exciting to look at. I expect this year to even be a lot better for Osa based on what he did last year. I would imagine it continues, and even I don't think he's reached the ceiling.
Speaker 7: I don't think he's reached his max.
Speaker 9: Also looking forward to what Solomon Thomas brings to the table when you see him, I don't know, we'll see is it all muscles.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 9: We'll see what he does when we get to a game day. But when you see that power in the forest being combined with all these different guys, I'm excited to actually see it all come together and see how much pressure they can get this year.
Speaker 6: Let's go something.
Speaker 2: I got a question about your edges. There, go for it. Question for the table.
Speaker 8: In twenty twenty two or so, I believe the Cowboys ended like number two in sacks, like like that year and that was like young Micah. You know d Law who's not really a pass rush phenomenal rundown guy, right, but not really a pass rush guy. Darrence Armstrong, you can say what you feel about him as a pass rusher. Dante who wasn't getting a bunch of reps as a pass rush, but that team still ended up second and sacks. Sam Williams, Young Sam Williams, you got an older Michael Parsons, right, Donovan as a rock who's a rookie, but you know he's a sack guy. He'll be mostly used as a sack guy. Double digit sack. Dante Fowler. You don't know what you have with Marshawn Niland just yet. And Sam with a chip on the shoulder, try and get a new contract. Do you think that the pass rush maybe not run down because d Law's not here right past rushing?
Speaker 2: Can we get sacks?
Speaker 8: Do you think that this pass rush group is better than twenty twenty two's pass rush group that was second in the league in sax.
Speaker 4: Here's my question. Sure, My question would be, is the scheme going to be dictating that they're going to be rushing the passer as effectively as they did back then, because if you remember, a lot of that was about the fact that when Quinn came in here, he got that defense into a situation where they were really good going to.
Speaker 2: Get the quarterback.
Speaker 4: And I don't know if it was just the talent talent. I think it was a talent, and I think it was Yeah, I think it was the leads. I think it was also how they played football now that also exposed them at times in the run game because they were so aggressive when it came to going and get going to get the quarterback. So I don't know if Aberflus is going to run that same kind of scheme to where he's going to be like, hey, we're going to sell out to go get the quarterback sometimes and that way the production ends up being the same. I will say, man for man, if you're looking at talent for talent, I would say this group is every bit as talented from a pass rush standpoint as that group. I think the scheme will be the difference.
Speaker 5: I think this. I like what Derek saying with the scheme. I'll disagree on something though. I think that Iberflus. You know what I heard from the coach and we had a chance to visit with them on you know, when we're working on the draft was the one thing I know on the offensive side of the ball, they were talking about the ability to adapt to the players you have. I don't think you could be stupid and say, okay, hey, I'm a defensive coordinator and I'm not going to use all these talented players as a pass rushers. And I think you have to figure out ways to do this, you know. I don't think you just sit there and say, wow, I'm just gonna do it. I Am going to draw it up and here we go. That kind of thing. I think if you've got players Fowler, Williams, you know, Parsons, you know as a rocket, you've got guys that can rush the passer, don't be don't be foolish and just say, okay, we're going to settle into a shell. It just when we can rush and just you know, play that way.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 5: The one thing that the last couple of coordinators have figured out here is if how aggressive you are with this with these rushers, you can have some success. I don't think Ibra Flus is foolish enough not to try that.
Speaker 9: I think they'll be they they have based on purely talent and what we expect. They can be that team again. They can be those guys again. I don't feel like I'm lacking anything at the moment. It's just you gotta wait and see to actually see it in effect and happening. But right now I feel good about the bodies being capable of doing and getting to the quarterback just as much as they did in that year you got so much.
Speaker 4: Let's move on to cornerback. Let's talk about the cornerback position. They lost Jordan Lewis, they gained Rebel and zier Elam they better or worse?
Speaker 6: Are the same?
Speaker 2: Everybody hurt?
Speaker 8: Man, I don't know, you know, we we have corners in his room and the knees hurt. So I mean, I mean when they when they come back, Hey, when when Diggs and Josh and you know those guys come back. I think Rebel is going to be a good player when day. You know he's a rookie, you know, and he's coming off that knee. And if you take a look at what Kayln Carson said as a reokular, hey man, the game's fast, you know, maybe you can maybe you can think that Kayln Carson takes the next lead, you know, just as being a year or two guy. I've seen this before, I've done this one time. Maybe I'll be a little better and revels the guy that has to sit, chill and make sure he will.
Speaker 2: Be he really is.
Speaker 8: But I think as far as this cornerbad group, you got bland and that's kind of all you got right now.
Speaker 5: I could see this group being much like what we saw last year with the defensive line. I could see them just rolling a bunch of guys in and they rolled guys through last year too. They made some trades and tried some guys and guys them. Last year, guys got banged up and stuff like that. I think everybody knows healthy. Yeah, this team has probably gotten better, but right now there's so many questions. I do love Reville, I do. I absolutely he was my best corner in the draft. When you watched him play at East Carolina. You can watch him out here, how he looks the link and all that, you know, and how competitive he is, you know, get that guy going, get you know Bland going again, a healthy you know, training camp for Bland, that all these things would be I think a positive here. But I have a feeling you're going to see them roll through some corners and training camp and try and find some guys until they get things uh situated, like they need it.
Speaker 8: How good does Kyer have to be for us to go all right? We don't need we don't need corners anymore? Kyrie elm like, how how good does he have to?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 8: Does he have to be just serviceable? Can he be like like, does he have to be really good for us? And I think about bringing in let's just let's just say Gilmore or something right like where.
Speaker 5: I still think gil is probably coming in. I still think Gilmore's probably coming in. I think I think we're gonna get into training camping. They're gonna call Gilmore, you know. I mean there's some names out there right now. I don't think the Alexander one again. I hope I'm not speaking out of turn here. He said, yeah, but if he's if he's a factor at least which I think they have, but I don't think they would go that route. You know, we've talked about a guy on another team because he's potentially have to do a trade there. You know, that's kind of where people are focusing. But I think that the thing with like with with Gilmore is a possibility there because I think they're gonna need a They're looking for a veteran guy that can kind of give him a little bit of stability. They're gonna see what they have with some of these guys and it's probably gonna be like, Okay, we need to go get a veteran to kind of sure some things up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I kind of like the idea of Gilmour just because I think what you need right now is a band aid for the beginning of the season, if until they can really get a chance to evaluate Trayvon with him working out here and I don't know if they really know where how soon they're they're. That being said, I think if you get somebody like Gilmour, and what we saw from Gilmore the last year he was here, I think he started off the season pretty good. As the season war on, it seems like he got or down because it's just his play did seem to drop a little bit as the season went on. So if you tell me I can get someone with his talent level and his ability, knowing that he's an older guy, he can maybe give me that first half of the season where he can give me everything he's got and and then by then, hopefully you got trayvon In, you got revel In, and you back at full health hopefully, and then if his play, you know, he may or may not be on the field at that point because those guys may take that spot. But the point is he gives you that band aid for the early part of the seasons. I love a pick like him, I'm sorry, a sign like him, uh, for the early part of the year, just because you just have so many question marks regarding health at the cornerback position.
Speaker 9: And that's the thing with trentvon I just I still don't know how I feel about it. Even if him coming back healthy quote unquote fully healthy, what does that exactly look like at this point? I just I don't know what if it's depends what you compare.
Speaker 5: No, No, And you're right, and that was unfair on my part, Like, but I was just sitting there thinking, like you know, if you if you put him into his situation, like I say, we know with Booth and what you got with that, we have an idea of pride. You know, the guys that that were kind of Carson. You know, if Carson, I would feel so much better about the situation going into year two for Carson if I'd seen some some progress in year one. But you know, there's there's there's unknown about him for sure. I mean they they you know, they like Josh Butler played really well for him a little bit, you know. I mean there's guys that they've had that that have played well. But it's you know, Digs. You know, you Digs.
Speaker 2: You need digs back.
Speaker 5: Yeah, really do need digs back.
Speaker 4: And let me say this, I think I think Diggs gets a I think he gets a little bit of a bum rap when people talk about, you know, he ain't that good or whatever. At the end of the day, he might give up some plays. Cornerbacks do that.
Speaker 6: By the way.
Speaker 4: He's not a shut down corner He's not one of the best one, two, three cornerbacks in the league. But he is more than quality at the cornerback position. Like he is a good cornerback he gives them some plays. Okay, great, you name they're probably in this league right now. Are there any real shut down cornerbacks? There's some good cornerbacks and the probably some that are better. I just don't I think he gets a bum rap and it's almost like.
Speaker 6: It's all or none.
Speaker 4: He's either great or he's not, and he's and if he's not, then he's not worth having.
Speaker 6: I just don't think.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think people are on him because they know we focus on compensation, but we also focus on lack of availability. And I think that that's a fair criticisms. That's the biggest problem. It's like, okay, compensation does not match availability. So now we're kind of, you know, we're and they were thinking about, well, we're trying to rub two Nichols together to go sign guys, you know, and that's a little bit of a problem.
Speaker 9: And that's where I struggled with right now, is with him. You know, he has the talent.
Speaker 7: We've seen it. He's a great football player, but.
Speaker 9: My memory currently is so faint of like, what do I remember of him doing on the field right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's always going to be real easy.
Speaker 9: But and then in the last year, you know, because of the injury and all that, I just I hope that he really is committed to this whole recovery rehab thing that he's putting in the time and the work to do that properly, and that he can come back in really good shape for the start of the season.
Speaker 4: We've had such a little time to see him and Bland on the field together. Yeah, think about the scope of their careers together. But when we've seen them on the field together, they've been really good. And I just think, can we get to a point where both are healthy, healthy and we can keep both of them on the field and then give me a little bit of revel with it, Like I would love to see that threesome on the field for a majority of the season, And I think if you can see that, I think everybody will feel really good about the cornerback position. Now that's a big leap because you haven't seen it very much and right now two of those three are hurt.
Speaker 6: So it's just I think.
Speaker 4: That's the part where the biggest question mark is really about their health. Can you get this group healthy and if you can, I think you'll feel really good about him.
Speaker 8: One more thing, Diggs may not be top three, but whenever you played the Vikings, Justin Jefferson really didn't do that much to you. When you played the Bengals, j mar Chase didn't do that much to you. The Washington Football Wizards twice a year. Terarry McLaurin hates to see Treva.
Speaker 6: A Washington Football Wizards.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to respect this new goofy name.
Speaker 6: That's hilarious.
Speaker 5: I like it.
Speaker 2: And then they can't be Cooper rush Man. Come on, no, I'm not washing this.
Speaker 8: But you know Diggs what he may not be a shut down guy, but those top tier wide receivers, he has great days versus those guys. I think that's bad. I would much rather and you could do a quick round table. I would much rather Digs here healthy than to try to get some pick for him.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean, like play out, like playing be here.
Speaker 6: I just wanted to be healthy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's exactly right. All right, we're gonna take our I mean we're talking not just our final break break, a real break. We're gonna be out until training camp, until training camp begins, we'll get back start at once. We are out in Oxnard, California. So we'll open up that show. I still have a lot of questions from the twenty twenty five offseason wrap. We'll get to that as we open a training camp in Oxnard, but until then, for Box Lombardi, Brian brought us Ambergarci.
Speaker 6: I'm Derek eagleson.
Speaker 4: This has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.