Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys blowing out of the backfield, exploding down the sidelines.
Speaker 1: This he is Hanging with the Boys, presented by wing Stuff Where Flavor gets its wings. Now, your hosts Nate Newton, Kurt Daniels, Jesse Holly and Shannon Gross shot.
Speaker 3: Thursday.
Speaker 4: You're looking live at a cloudy Tostitos Championship plaza outside.
Speaker 3: Fort Center at the Star in Frisco, Texas.
Speaker 4: Where the weather is pulling up on my phone. It's seventy one degrees, seventy two degrees with a high of eighty nine to low of sixty eight, and it feels like seventy one right now.
Speaker 5: He is Kurt, this is shinning in the back is Chris, I am Zaddi Holly. Together we make Hanging with the Boys the sports talk equivalent.
Speaker 6: Bro.
Speaker 7: People fee us when we speak.
Speaker 4: Brought to you each and every day by Wingstop where Flavor gets its wings.
Speaker 3: And we and we have a special treat for you right now on the phone.
Speaker 4: Maybe hopefully not because we're calling because it's amazing.
Speaker 2: Hello, this is big news right now. I'm down and out with a double knee replacement.
Speaker 3: They trying to hold me down, but I'm scratching.
Speaker 2: I'm coming looking at my cowboys from a distance.
Speaker 8: I'm telling you, y'all. Even naming the number, the big.
Speaker 2: Fella gonna come back, Ashy, even naming the number, the big fella gonna come back, ashes. But I'm gonna work through the pain, no pain, no game, the stay and make God love you.
Speaker 3: Nate. We are live on the show. We love you, we miss you, We need you back in studio. Hope you're doing well.
Speaker 4: Man, Jesse, Kurt, Shannon, Chris all thinking about you and in America and around the world. Yes, sir, get well, soon get back in the studio. We miss your brother.
Speaker 7: Later.
Speaker 4: So, if you've never experienced Nate Newton voicemail, he does. He had what was the one he had that was just wheels off a few years ago.
Speaker 3: He's the best.
Speaker 4: So if you think he's any different off the show, he's not.
Speaker 3: That's Nate. So I'm glad. I'm actually glad for once said he didn't answer.
Speaker 7: So, how you guys doing good?
Speaker 4: Yeah, for the first time in a long time walking to the studio.
Speaker 3: There's some action now.
Speaker 7: On the football fields.
Speaker 3: Yeah, some guys out there running.
Speaker 9: Around one is going on?
Speaker 3: Yeah, what what is phase one? What does that even mean?
Speaker 2: These days?
Speaker 10: They can work out on the field with these what do voluntary mean? Voluntary workouts on the field with the strength and conditioning coaches. They can have meetings I guess with the coaches, but the coaches can't be on the field actually instructing them.
Speaker 3: Okay, so all right, good attendance.
Speaker 7: So yeah, largely.
Speaker 3: Who's not here?
Speaker 10: Citie Lamb and Micah Parker were the two notable names, which is not a surprise, not.
Speaker 3: A surprise, But Jesse, how big of a deal is that? And it seems like it's not. You're not gonna make a big deal out of this.
Speaker 4: I mean, we know how you like to no trash a couple of one of these guys, one.
Speaker 3: Of these two guys. You're not gonna take You're not gonna take a shot. No, No, it's not a big deal.
Speaker 7: So your guy's taking a shot.
Speaker 5: He got punched in the ribs the other day in the solo play to Micah by a boxer.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, they were doing hit for hit. Who quit first?
Speaker 3: Who quit?
Speaker 9: Who was not a boxer?
Speaker 3: Who is the boxer.
Speaker 7: I didn't even see it was like a small like featherweight.
Speaker 4: Oh really, yeah, I'll pull it up and he he he stopped him.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: That's the thing that sometimes we and this is this is an athlete's flaw.
Speaker 7: This is an athlete that alpha male. We think that we can jump in any arena.
Speaker 5: And the best and be the best, and we sometimes succeed. Sometimes we gotta just stand there myself, like we gotta just just relax a little bit and and uh and not go so so overboard. But this this boxer was a was small like no offense, but he was like your size.
Speaker 3: I don't no offense taken. Oh wow he is little. Yeah, he's littler than me.
Speaker 5: Oh and they know what like boxers know where to punch right, and when you watch the video clip if you watch it now, yeah, if you watch the video clip, you just and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, their conditioned, like they know right.
Speaker 7: And yes, like they know where to punch you at to drop you.
Speaker 5: Like you see MICA's punch is off to the side and he's like, okay, I'll take that punch. They know exactly where to punch you at to drop you. So but I don't know if I want my star player in the boxing boxer by.
Speaker 7: The way with A. J.
Speaker 5: Graham, Okay, yeah, I just don't know if I want him in the gym doing that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, right, the internal injuries, I don't want that.
Speaker 7: I don't want that.
Speaker 5: I don't mind the training, I don't mind the camaraderie.
Speaker 7: I don't mind having fun. I don't know if I want punch for punch.
Speaker 9: You know, so you don't think, but you don't think.
Speaker 10: There's especially in the case and I know he's bandwagging on Micaehs sometimes, but just in his case where one he's supposed to be a leader of this team, he's not here, and two you have a new defensive coordinator and you're not in meetings.
Speaker 9: Is that still no.
Speaker 7: No no no no no no no no. I voluntary means just that and Micah.
Speaker 5: If for anything about Micah, he's gonna he's not gonna come in.
Speaker 7: Out of shape. He's not gonna come in out of shape.
Speaker 5: He's not gonna come in and be dragging, you know, dragging A He's gonna he's gonna be in shape. But it voluntary, It's exactly what it sounds like. And of course would you love one hundred attendance, Yes, but you're never like you're not gonna get it.
Speaker 7: You're just not gonna get it all the time.
Speaker 5: And I don't think this phase right now is the most important phase. I think the meanings are cool, and we live in a day and time now.
Speaker 7: I mean, just a.
Speaker 5: Few short years ago we did everything virtually. We did everything virtually. So maybe he's not here in person. I'm sure there's some sort of stream set up can sit in and watch the meetings.
Speaker 7: I'm sure that he can.
Speaker 5: He can face time or zoom or whatever with Mike Zimmer and other guy. So I'll cut both of those guys some slacking and cut them some bail and say this isn't the part of the progress where I need you here.
Speaker 7: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Because the conditioning part, it's great, the team camaraderie part is great, and I'm for all of that, But these are two guys who we've never had to worry about when it came to the part of being in shape, being conditioned, being in that space health wise. Now, Michael Parsons problem is that he's wore down, and that's not due to condition, that's just due to a smaller guy playing in a playing a position that.
Speaker 9: You're gonna say, a smaller guy punching him in the gut.
Speaker 5: Oh no, it's a smaller guy playing a position that just wears down. It wears you down, you know what I mean. But these never have a problem conditioning. And again, offensively, CD's straight, he's been in the same offense, he knows the plays. He's gonna be ready to go. Defensively, yes, Mike Zimmer is here. They may have a new defensive scheme and all that kind of stuff, but I can sit on the meetings. I can zoom in. I can zoom in.
Speaker 4: So the coaches aren't like, man, these guys aren't showing up.
Speaker 3: I mean a little perturbed.
Speaker 5: You have some old school and Zim might be an old school spirited dude, right, he may have that spirit of the old school of I would love to have these guys in the building, hands on and be able to kind of just see him face to face.
Speaker 7: But that's not today's football.
Speaker 5: And if you're living in the nineteen nineties in the early two thousands, then you're gonna have a problem because that's just not today's brand of football. Today's brand of football is more tech savvy. You got the GPS trackers, you got the iPads, you got all those type of things. Now that when Zim was in his prime, they didn't do it was you came into the building. You you carried around the portfolio size playbook.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 5: Now everything is you can literally I can literally in the middle of my workout, stop, hit a button and be plugged into what they're doing here, seeing all the virtual things that they're doing here.
Speaker 7: Get the information here, hit end, get back to my workout.
Speaker 4: You don't know how create you brought that up. How fast technology has advanced. I remember having a conversation with Dak when I think it was it was either Ota, I think it was OTA's when he first got here because he's from Louisiana, you know, fourth round draft pick. Nobody was talking to him in the locker room because he was going to be another Stephen McGee that got drafted and did whatever and was gone right.
Speaker 7: And I walked over my boy, Stephen McGee. I love Steve check down check down McGee, that's what we called him.
Speaker 4: But I walked over to him and I was just, you know, open lit room, and nobody was over there, and I was over and now you have to schedule time to once a year to be.
Speaker 3: Able to talk to him.
Speaker 4: When I was just you know, shooting shooting breeze with him being from North Louisiana, and I was like, what's the biggest you know, what's the biggest difference between He goes, dude, the playbook.
Speaker 3: He was like, the playbook is like this is.
Speaker 7: Going to say indoor plumbing.
Speaker 3: Maybe no, out house. It was a good one. Actually, the trailer parks are much nicer all double wise.
Speaker 4: But he was like the playbook and he was like, it's like this thick and just thinking that, just thinking that there were actually playbooks when Dak was drafted, because everything's been virtual for so long and they've they've had pads for years. He's been in the league that long. Like we think that, like you think about it, it's like, oh dad, yeah, but he's been here a long time. Man, playbooks. That's crazy. There there are guys on this team that had iPads in high school.
Speaker 3: Probably yeah, most of them, yeah, almost all of them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the only one that probably like you're you're really like your zach zachs and the tanks. Yeah, maybe, well Hank's not hear anymore, but like, yeah, those.
Speaker 4: Two guys tiring, but he's yeah, yeah that so Dak, Tank and Zach all those guys. Those are probably the only guys that actually have physical playbooks.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, is that.
Speaker 3: Crazy how fast things have changed?
Speaker 9: So talking about can I ask one more?
Speaker 3: Yeah, questions, you're out of questions.
Speaker 10: It's well, it's related just to the workouts we're talking about. So these players that and I'm just curious, do they because you know, if they get injured when they're in Austin working out, that's they're go on the non football list and they don't get paid and whatever. Do they take out insurance on that type of thing? Are these guys making so much money they don't really care?
Speaker 5: Well this answer, I mean, most if you're that guy, most guys have insurance for themselves, right, because you have to protect But even that part of it, like it's difficult to get an insurance claim, like you got to be damn near dead.
Speaker 7: Yeah, like you have to have like a leg.
Speaker 5: That's like literally hanging off to get one of those insurance claims to kind of really pay itself for. But most of those guys, you know, and then, but in every contract, in every contract there is like there's for every contract we see, there's this hidden contract and I sense they hidden, but just non disclosed contract that nobody really talks about.
Speaker 7: There is an injury contract.
Speaker 5: So when guys get lost for the season and stuff like that, there is a portion of that. Now, teams have insurance policies so that when a guy get lost for the year, they kind of recoup some of that money that they have to pay. But the player itself, they don't get that. Whatever that base salary that's cut in half because of injury. But you know, most of the guys aren't thinking about that, you know, you know, because for the most part, you don't really hear about it. Doesn't It doesn't happen often or every once in the blue. And another reason why I'm okay with guys going other places to train and this is no shot at Harold Nash.
Speaker 7: I've known Harold Nash.
Speaker 5: Since when I was in New England back in two thousand and twelve ish Harold Nash was there. He was an assistant serve the condition to coach there and so I've known Harold Nash.
Speaker 9: Head guy here.
Speaker 5: Yes, he's the hair guy here now. But I knew Harold Nash back in New England, so I've known. I've known Harold Nash for a long time talking about technology and how we move things forward. A lot of these guys, if you go to you know, D one or APEX or whatever Sanders fit. These programs are specifically built for Kurt Daniels, Shannon Gross.
Speaker 7: See Holly.
Speaker 5: Whereas the team's workouts, it's more of a mass production offensive lineman.
Speaker 7: Here's what we're doing. Running backs, here's what we're doing, Receivers, here's what we're doing, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 5: Whereas when I go to I don't want to keep giving people free plub. But when I go to this said specific trainer, I'm getting the Micah Parson's plan.
Speaker 3: I need to work on my explosion I need.
Speaker 5: When I go to said trainer or facility, I'm getting the CD LAMB.
Speaker 7: Exclusive plan.
Speaker 5: The things that I feel that we set down and maybe watch some film that you know what, Hey, I need to get better here and now, those things are specifically targeted to get that or get this, or to build this or to lose that, you know what I mean, whereas the team because Harold's not making seven. The different individualized plans. Now every player may have, Hey you lose.
Speaker 7: A couple of pounds, Hey you need to be in a couple of pounds.
Speaker 5: Hey you know you got a shoulder, so we can't you know, it's modified. But it's not like they're doing a Dak presscott because.
Speaker 7: You just don't have the bodies.
Speaker 5: I don't have the bodies to be saying, Okay, you're you're specifically with Dak, you're specifically with Trey Lance, you're specifically with Cooper Rush. No, it's like, hey, quarterbacks, here's what we're doing. Now, we'll modify it according to what you may This nail meant if there's things that you kind of don't want to, you know, build up or you don't want to lose. But the specifics of it different when you get a chance to go to these other training facilities and so. But that's a part of where we're at now in the national football in the sports, and that's that's not even that's that's young kids. That is the position specific training that you see more so now than you've ever seen before. Nate Newton didn't have position specific training.
Speaker 7: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: I know he went to the fat farm to lose the weight, but you know, Michael IRV didn't have a lot of you know, the specialized training that they do now it is almost it is almost today in sports. If you get to middle school and you're not doing one on one training, you're behind. Oh yeah, like it is the it's the I don't care what sport it is, volleyball, baseball, basketball, wrestling. If you're if you're in middle school and your parents haven't found a certain way to kind of get the money together to get you one on one training a couple times a week, individualized training, you're behind.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we heard that when somen is coming up an even before middle school probably like if you're not doing this this, you won't play varsity.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's just insane and.
Speaker 7: It costs a grip really.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, it's aid money money trip for sure.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Kids to be a musician.
Speaker 5: I mean when I was doing when I was doing position specific training, and I've had some some notable guys that I've worked with, Like I was seventy five to one hundred dollars an hour.
Speaker 3: Wow, I mean, how many hours is a session hour two hours?
Speaker 7: How many hours of the session? Seventy five hour?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Like, but how many if you go for you go for like two hours?
Speaker 7: Just one?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 7: One? One hour? Yeah yeah. I thought it was like, wait, you're doing off.
Speaker 4: I thought I was doing that Louisiana, MA, wait now how much?
Speaker 3: But how much do you pay when you gore?
Speaker 7: You go for an hour? How many an hour?
Speaker 3: Seventy five an hour?
Speaker 4: All right, let's talk contracts. I want to get y'all's input. There's three big contracts.
Speaker 3: That I haven't been taken care of this year. You know who they are hurt? All right, we'll get mine. That's an easy way. Ten bucks. We'll be right back talking contracts on hanging with the boys.
Speaker 6: Fall is here and that means football is back, bringing all the delicious game day foods with it as you prep for all the big games, tailgates and watch parties. Let Yo Kiero be your one stop destination for all things homegating. Yo Kierro's fresh, flavorful, ready to serve guacamole made with real half avocados will score taste bud touchdowns as you cheer on the Cowboys. Yo Kiro's wide range of mouth watering and versatile products can be found in your local grocery stores, produce or deli section. Grab some today.
Speaker 8: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends. Want to stay at the team hotel, attend the best tail game party in Texas.
Speaker 3: Tour the Star and talk x's and odes with me Everson Walls.
Speaker 8: With Star Sports Tours, you can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 11: Seat Geek has your back no matter what kind of Cowboys fan you are. So whether you're a die hard fan or a dog worthy care fan, we got them next time fan or we'll never win again fan Here for the tailgate fan or a first one through the gates fan. The Sea Geek not only makes buying and selling tickets easier than ever before, they made just about everything else easier to So whether you're a here of a week fan or haven't been here in years fan, See Geek has you covered. Download the Sea Geek. After the Seed Geek, you're a ticket, They're Great Dallas Cowboys seats.
Speaker 12: How's wing Stop sound crispy, juicy, classic wings made to order, cook to perfection and saused tossed and those eleven soul satisfying players paired with handcut, seasoned fries, housemade honey mustard, blue cheese or signature Windstop Ranch and of course spicy Cajun fried course.
Speaker 7: I think you've heard enough.
Speaker 12: Get your flavor delivered at Wingstop dot Com.
Speaker 7: Back Hanging with the Bulls.
Speaker 13: Welcome back to the second segment of Hanging with the Boys, brought you each and every day by blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 3: Thank you Blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 4: And we are talking contracts and there's three big ones that have not been taken care of, and there's a lot of there's a lot of talk around. I guess media type folks that the Eagles as much as it pains me to say the Eagles are the U, I guess the uh.
Speaker 3: The I guess the There's been.
Speaker 5: A lot of it's been spicy between the content creators and the like media like this this offseason.
Speaker 7: It's a lot of.
Speaker 9: Going after each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's been a lot of whether it's like newspaper radio and like the content creator.
Speaker 7: It's been a lot of spiciness.
Speaker 3: Give me an example.
Speaker 7: I'm not. I'm not.
Speaker 3: You're gonna get messy and I.
Speaker 7: Need some messiness. You need to get on your twitters.
Speaker 3: We're talk in the break.
Speaker 5: There's been a lot of just everybody's kind of like on edge each other.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everybody's everybody knows more than everybody else.
Speaker 7: That's it. Everybody has. That's it right there, That is the that is it. Their opinions better than I know more my opinions. You can't, I can't. It's been a lot of just yeah, yeah, it's been real, real, A.
Speaker 9: Lot of that's what sells.
Speaker 3: It's everybody's trying to grab the headlines.
Speaker 7: Combustible energy going on around here.
Speaker 4: Well, some of that combustible energy has been spit out in the form of the Eagles or or their front office is doing that's how you should run things. You should you should get out and one of these contracts, which I guess the Cowboys have done that in the past, right, Okay, let's let's talk about that. They have let three contracts either come up for expiration this year or long term. What you think would be your long term corner pieces are up for renewal either this year or next year. And you know, by letting them run their course. We all know salaries don't go down in the NFL every year, they go up at every position. So by not signing these guys a year or two ahead of their expiration date, the price is going up and you're.
Speaker 3: Not getting your bang for your buck.
Speaker 4: I guess the alternate to that could be you want to see and make sure this is the right decision before you sign guys to a long term deal. What is y'all's opinion on how this has all played out? Because you got CDs up for contract, right, Dack's up for contract.
Speaker 3: Mike is what next year?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Yeah, CD.
Speaker 10: I mean they could see he's going into his fifth season, so they could he's they picked up his fifth year options, so they could make him play on that. They could make him you know, they could put the franchise tag out on him after that. I mean, they could keep him around. But then you're pissing off the player and.
Speaker 7: For the next three years because you can franch out him twice.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 10: So, but and you want to work with You want to get your own salary cap under controls. You want to spread that out and everything. So where the Eagles have been seeing you know, Davante's Davanta Devanta Smith, he was in his third coming off his third year, So they're they're getting a jump ahead of this earlyer and they've done that with a few players, whereas the Cowboys, I mean, you saw what they went through with Dak a few years ago. You know, they could have had him for twenty five million a year, and they pushed it, pushed it, pushed it, and they went up in you know, thirty five million, right or whatever.
Speaker 9: So it's kind of a different Was that the.
Speaker 5: First time they ever did the I think it was like the first one they ever had a quarterback franchise frenhiuse taging quarterback on a quarterback in Cowboys.
Speaker 9: History, Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 4: And from a fans point of view, if you look at it, you're like, Okay, are you re signing these guys? Are you letting their contracts run out and you're just cleaning house and starting over? Like what like why are you waiting? Like I guess that's the anxiety of a Cowboys fan is like You've got one of the best top five guy in the league on defense, right, probably a top five guy at wide receiver and then a top ten guy at quarterback.
Speaker 5: I would say, you got a top three guy on defense, a top three guy on offense, and a top ten guy at quarterback.
Speaker 4: And they're all up for contracts, right, and can you afford to resign all three of them?
Speaker 3: So, like what I guess the anxiety is, what the hell's going on?
Speaker 4: Like what are they thinking? Because no one knows what they're thinking. They said they were going all in, and of course that's been the headline the whole off season. That came up again this week right with Steven, But like, as a fan, what is happening? What are they thinking? Like, what do you guys think is going on upstairs? And what are they doing with these contracts? Are they trying to figure it out? Have they figured it out and they're just playing chess with people?
Speaker 3: Or or I mean what?
Speaker 9: So far it sounds like it's all amicable.
Speaker 10: I mean, they're they've had some discussions, but they're not getting into the weeds of it all yet. But you also got to remember, man, if some of this is on the players too, it's not just the Cowboys can't get it done. I mean if I'm cd Lamb and his agent and I've got Justin Jefferson sitting over there. Weren't a big contract too. I mean, it might be worth it to hold on to your cards for a little while before you jump into a big contract. I don't know, but it's it's frustrating for fans, that's for sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, player side, what's going on the players always there's two things that player always wants to kind of really pinpoint on.
Speaker 5: It's I want to get the guaranteed money, right, I want to get the I want to get the generational money, but I also want.
Speaker 7: To get back to the table again quick as possible.
Speaker 5: Right, So the years so when you when you get to that second contract that is your that is your generational wealth contract that.
Speaker 3: Make money as a player.
Speaker 5: That's that's where you can say I'm good, my kids are good, My kids kids are good. When you get to that big if you're a star player, you get to that big second contract. But these guys are also saying to themselves, yeah, I don't want this thing strung out five or six years where I have to play. Because their agents and they know that the money only grows the football, It only grows so in two or three years my contract is gonna be If I continue at the pace that I'm playing at, I'm gonna outplay these numbers, right, And so I don't want to be stuck in a contract five years from now.
Speaker 7: And the market has jumped significantly.
Speaker 9: Now the fifteenth highest player correct whatever.
Speaker 7: At twenty nine to thirty million dollars.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So these of saying, yes, I want to get the generational money I want. I want to get that guaranteed money in because this game is not for long, even if you have a ten year career, it's still not for long. But I also want to get back to the table as quick as possible because I want to re up. I want to be able to say that, you know what, I got fifty million dollars in these first three years, and I'm going to get another fifty million dollars. And so those are the two lines that players and agents and front office have to be able to work through. Is are we giving the money that we're giving out? How is that? How is that bogging us down from making other moves? And can we still be flexible in that? And for the player, it's I want my bread and I want to get back to the table again. The frustrating part. I think a lot of people are saying, what from the outside, what the Cowboys are? You knew these deals were coming up, so instead of waiting until the credit card bill was past due, you could have handled some of these things in a more staggering type situation. And I think that's a lot of times when you look at what the Eagles do, it's almost as it's staggering. It's where all the big names aren't coming to to the table at one time. But I can stagger these deals out if I attacked them earlier. Though, the Cowboys have just elected to wait. They waited with Dak the first time around, they're waiting now with CD. They're probably gonna wait now with Micah. And if Micah CD had a year this year where he was I think second in the league in receiving yards, first in the league in receptions, and n he was up there with touchdowns, he had an all pro year. Well, the more I keep adding on to this stuff, the more my price goes up. When I start adding all pros to first team all pros, to the to the to the to the to the docket, you can't you you can't give me with those guys over there used to get And the same thing with Micah. If Micah, if they don't do a deal with michaelh this year and he goes to the season next year, next year and he gets the sack total or is a Defensive Player of the Year or another first team all Pro types, my price goes up. My price only goes up. I think that's the biggest thing that frustrates Cowboys fans. It's like we're facing these credit card bills that we knew were coming years in advance, and we could have we could have given ourselves a little bit more relief if we had attacked some of these deals like you knew CD. You knew CD deal was coming up.
Speaker 7: You know now.
Speaker 5: Granted, guys like Micah, they have to get to a certain threshold in the years they've been in the league before you get offered them a new deal.
Speaker 7: But not Dak.
Speaker 5: He's past that threshold. You could have got a deal done with him a year ago.
Speaker 4: And I think the frustrating part from a fans perspective is each one of those guys you've you've pigeonholed yourself the way you've drafted the way you've let play go, the way you've like, those are your guys, Like Dak's the he's the guy, CD, He's what's behind him, He's the guy Micah. You've built this defense, You've moved him from linebacker to the defensive end, and you've built the defense around him. So it's not like, oh, if he goes away, this is just a piece like that. Those you have morphed this team into, those are your Those are your guys, right, And it's like, like.
Speaker 3: You know, those your guys.
Speaker 4: Why aren't you, like you said, staggering it making sure they're here and not Maybe they're not stressed out upstairs, but it stresses the hell out of Cowboy says.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 10: Are they in a position though, where they've I don't know how to explain this, like they have put themselves behind the eight ball, in a position where they can't get it because they they pushed money all these years. They push money back. I mean, you look back when Tony Rum, when Dak Prescott like was on that rookie deal, they still had dead money on Tony Rum when they had to pay and it's same now you look now it's they've got seven ten million dollars of dead money they have to play. Zeke's getting six Tyron Smith's getting six. I mean, are they in a position where we're like, they can't pay going forward because they're still paying on the past.
Speaker 9: And if so, how do they get out of it? How do they break that cycle?
Speaker 7: I'd sign these guys just.
Speaker 5: I think that's just I think that's just order of business. I think dead money dead money.
Speaker 7: Every team.
Speaker 5: I think every team is in dead money that ranks. I think I think every team is at least every team that's that's that has enough star players on there. That's just a part of that's the price of doing business is that you're going to have some debt money that you have, uh that you have to pay.
Speaker 7: And if that is, if that is the case, then.
Speaker 5: Again it behooves you even more now to kind of be able to have the flexibility in getting contracts done early enough that you can move this money around.
Speaker 10: They're twenty first and dead money, So that's not like you said, order of business.
Speaker 5: The order Yeah, it's that's just that's just the operating costs.
Speaker 3: It's just our team, so we yeah.
Speaker 9: Lead average, they're at seventeen league averages twenty five.
Speaker 7: So they're even under the threshold.
Speaker 5: And that and and those are the type of things that fans get a chance to go up and look at and know that y'are talking about you need to save money. And this is Steven Talbot asked you talking about you need to save money because you got other stuff that you have to pay for it.
Speaker 7: And the teams are going, but other teams are functioning.
Speaker 5: And thriving and putting better teams together with higher debt money that that that money cap issues than we do.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so is this Philadelia has thirty seven million dead money?
Speaker 4: So is this the year where they, like you said, Kurt, are they are they resetting this year? Are they are they like, Okay, guess what we're gonna We're gonna clear the books because they haven't Oh, by the way, big sign this week. We got to talk about that in the next the next step. They they haven't signed anybody, they haven't paid a lot of money, and they haven't gone and redone any of these big contracts. Is this the year where they're like, you know what, we're just gonna We're just gonna clean the books off.
Speaker 3: We're gonna start at zero. And I'm not saying I'm not.
Speaker 4: Gonna use the rebuild word, but you know they've let some key guys go. Is this the year where they're just like, we got to get the money right and then and then make a run starting, you know, next year with starting with.
Speaker 3: This draft, Like I just I don't know, it just.
Speaker 4: It just it's a weird time because they've never taken this approach, I guess, or we've never seen this approach.
Speaker 3: Maybe we're just talking about it more.
Speaker 4: Maybe there's more content creators out there, like you said, and everybody's got opinions, but just doesn't seem to me like they've ever let this many guys go, sign this few of guys and then had this many big glooming contracts out there where they haven't at.
Speaker 3: Least publicly speaking.
Speaker 4: Now they may be working around the clock on these deals and we just don't know about it. They might come out today and be like, hey, we signed all three of these guys. We figured it out and that's why they didn't bring anybody in. But just you know, I just don't remember a time where it's been this much up in the air as far as the money.
Speaker 10: So it makes your one I mean, because you've got a coaching staff that's in their last year of their contract.
Speaker 7: You're gonna lose everything.
Speaker 9: Yeah, we're gonnase, you.
Speaker 10: Know, I think the marks lawrence is the last year is cont I mean, you could they want if they want to rewrite the books this season they.
Speaker 7: I mean, you could do it.
Speaker 4: You can get rid of the coaching staff, you could get rid of your three key players.
Speaker 5: You can think they will, But I don't think. I don't think that thought processes is far off. When you start putting all the puzzle pieces together, it sounds like, you know what, and maybe all in mean cleaning the books this year, Like that's all in. Hey, we're going all in and cleaning these books, and that next year when we hire a new head coach and the new staff.
Speaker 3: They have said all that means different things.
Speaker 5: To different things, the different people, right, And and now they're saying, we're going in with you know, better books, more money, and new coaching, new coaching staff, and now we can throw these we can throw these financial resources at other things. I don't I don't know. I don't know that that is that is as the world turns. Dallas Cowboy addition.
Speaker 4: That's why we have seven shows that talk about this, because everyone has a different people, it'll be interesting.
Speaker 3: I think that makes the draft even that more interesting, right, Like, what do we all think?
Speaker 7: That's crazy? Right?
Speaker 5: Does any other and I don't want to mess up my money, but does any other team have as many shows?
Speaker 7: No one has. I don't think.
Speaker 4: I don't think there's another team that has that many external shows that talk about their team.
Speaker 3: We have seven in the house in house?
Speaker 4: Is it seven now, Chris, he's I'm listening.
Speaker 3: Sorry, it's eighty. Okay, we have eight in house shows just in this just piots, just parts.
Speaker 7: That's a show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which is crazy, but I think that makes the draft.
Speaker 7: By the way, Chris is like, don't mess up my money?
Speaker 3: By yeah, Chris, by the way, you want to plug the Draft show? Yeah?
Speaker 14: The Draft Show starts to today. It's been starting, but today eleven and we will go all five days next week all five days.
Speaker 5: Are you a part of the Uh? They're doing the draft one on one thing, jiggy here.
Speaker 14: I am not a part of that, but the fan is and they're doing that tonight.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, draft one on one? So draft?
Speaker 4: When does draft coverage start on Cowboys Network six o'clock.
Speaker 14: On Thursday of day one. I believe it's uh six o'clock on day two, and then ten o'clock on day three. All right, and then we go bumper to bumper, and next week you'll be on Monday through Yeah. Draft show will be Monday through Friday next week, so we're adding two extra shows.
Speaker 3: Okay, nice? And then Jesse's holding up the starmagazine.
Speaker 10: Draft Guards get Scattering Arts, pick it up now, Dallas Cowboys dot Com, slash Star.
Speaker 3: Who all who all works on that?
Speaker 10: Uh, Kyle Jewmens and Nick Harris mainly do the scattering reports, but all those got chip in. Patrick Walker did a story, Nick Eman helped out. I mean it's a group effort for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, that's a good thing y'all put together. It's really great for your your I guess you're knowledgeable fans.
Speaker 9: Yeah along, Yeah, it's so good.
Speaker 5: And the information need society that we live in today, everybody wants information.
Speaker 3: Can you get that online too?
Speaker 9: Yeah, there's a digital version online to go to Dallas Cowboys dot Com slash Star and get either one.
Speaker 3: Cool, very cool. All right, let's take another break. When we come back.
Speaker 4: We got a big signing this week we need to talk about and a couple other things before we get out of here.
Speaker 3: When we come back for the final segment.
Speaker 14: Of Hanging with the Boys, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: And they snapped the press guy who looks right, it's not there.
Speaker 7: He escaped left.
Speaker 3: He'll one for a first.
Speaker 4: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust.
Speaker 7: With Blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands.
Speaker 5: Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 6: Pruscott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 4: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 7: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 3: Get started at blockchain dot Com?
Speaker 7: How's wing Stop sound?
Speaker 12: Christy juicy classic wings made to order, cook to perfection and sauted, tossed and those eleven soul satisfying players paired with handcut seasoned fries, housemade honey mustard, blue cheese or signature windstop branch, and of course spicy Cajun fried col I think you've heard enough. Get your flavor delivered at wingstop dot com.
Speaker 11: See if Geek has your back, no matter what kind of Cowboys fan you are. So whether you're a die hard fan or a dog really care fan and we got him next time fan or will win again fan Here for the tailgate fan or a first one through the gates fan. The Sea geg not only makes buying and selling tickets easier than ever before, they made just about everything else easier to So whether you're a here every week fan or haven't been here in years fan, Sea Geek has you covered. Download the Sea Geek after the seat Geek. You're a ticket the great Dallas Cowboys Seats.
Speaker 15: James right here, you're twenty twenty two Dallas Cowboys Fan of the Year. Do you know how much I love my Cowboys and I am thrilled to be talking to you about the twenty twenty three Fan of the Year Award.
Speaker 3: Presented by Captain Morgan.
Speaker 15: We're looking for the ultimate Cowboys fans to spice up the game. That means you eat, sleep, and breathe the Dallas Cowboys. If that's you, or if you know someone like me, then go to Dallascowboys dot com slash Fan of the Year, and you could win tickets to Super Bowl fifty eight and so much more.
Speaker 3: Enter today.
Speaker 7: Fact Hanging with the Boys.
Speaker 13: Welcome back to the final segment of Hanging with the Boys, brought to you each and every day by Jigsaw, the official dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Than you actually downloaded that yesterday about on the show. Yeah, I didn't want to fork up the cash that.
Speaker 9: I mean, we could probably get you promoted. You know, you get a little free Who's the who's.
Speaker 4: The client service person on that, Chris, I will find out, find that out and get me a get me a Yeah, get.
Speaker 3: Hurt one too.
Speaker 9: Yeah, honey, I gotta do this.
Speaker 7: Thank you. All right.
Speaker 3: Jesse's not he doesn't do the apps.
Speaker 4: I think that's would be a bit dangerous for you. Trailer parkfinder dot com.
Speaker 7: Big back, big.
Speaker 3: All right. We had a signing this week last was he yesterday? Day before yesterday. I've never no offense to my man, But I've never heard Royce Freeman. I've never heard of the game. I want to make sure I got it right. But Nate, do you know anything about Royce?
Speaker 5: Yeah, journeyman, I think he has about like sixteen seventeen hundred total yards over the last couple of years, played for a bunch of different teams in the league.
Speaker 10: It's big, yeah, decent back, six foot two thirty eight or something.
Speaker 7: Yeah, which is weird?
Speaker 4: Is that weird that they signed They've never had a big back here?
Speaker 7: Really?
Speaker 5: No, it reminds you like the guy that Loronald Jones last year. Yeah, that's a comparison of the people.
Speaker 10: Say Nick Harris wrote something about that's you know, you look at McCarthy inherited, Zeke any inherent Pollard. There's a question about what kind of back does he like, and Nick kind of said, you know, maybe he once said big bruising kind of guy, which I don't know Freeman's answer, but he kind of fits that mold.
Speaker 5: And I think if you're going to go running back has become a two back, yeah, you know, two backs by committee type thing in the league, with the exception of a few backs but a few teams, but for the most part, it's been a lot of you're going to have the bigger, bruising back and then you're going to have the speedback. And I think this kind of gives you at least at least a veteran back going in the camp that gives you that bigger body, short yard his body.
Speaker 7: But still can kind of move.
Speaker 5: And then as you go into the draft, in which everybody's kind of projecting, the Cowboys might sign a guy like Jonathan Brooks, but do we know if he's ready to go?
Speaker 7: Yeah, so are you going?
Speaker 3: What's your opinion?
Speaker 4: Are you going into the season with Rico being your number one guy or do you think they're going to have somebody and try to ready plug him?
Speaker 5: But I think I think I think there's going to be a signing, a trade or signing that gives a more prominent back in this in this a more prominent stable back in this uh, in the in the running back.
Speaker 10: I know there was something leaning towards they're gonna draft.
Speaker 3: I know there was some talk a week or two ago about Zeke coming back. How do we feel about that?
Speaker 7: I mean, no offense to Zeke, I'm good.
Speaker 14: I think Freeman being signed is probably.
Speaker 4: Probably puts that squashes all that, all right, Kurt, Yes, sir, we got a couple of minutes left. I know what we didn't get to all your all your points? What would you like to hit as our last time.
Speaker 9: Oh, I don't know.
Speaker 7: I like the last the last point that you had.
Speaker 3: It's a great it's a great point.
Speaker 10: So the Rainer our local teams, Texas Rangers are the reigning World Series champs. The Mavericks and Stars are both hot. Maverick Stars won the the West and their divisions.
Speaker 9: Are in there.
Speaker 10: They're and in both strong. So does this affect the Cowboys at all? Does it create added pressure?
Speaker 9: Do they not care? They just the eight hundred pound gorilla that if.
Speaker 4: They weren't printing money upstairs, I think they would care.
Speaker 3: But we all know it doesn't matter all this stuff.
Speaker 4: That's going on in the offseason when when they head out, when they get on that plane and go to Oxnard, it doesn't matter if if the Mavericks win it again, if the Stars win it again, like you could have three world champions in this city. When they get on that plane to Oxnard, it all shuts down and it's it's Cowboys twenty four to seven.
Speaker 10: Like that doesn't you don't think that irritates them at all? And the Joneses are up there thinking.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm sure Like for people that think they don't want to win, they're crazy, like, that's why you're that's that's why you're in This is real life fantasy football. You think you pay your money to join your fantasy football league and you don't want to win, and now you may give up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think I think I might be trending towards crazy.
Speaker 16: You think, I mean, but I don't think you are a part of professional sports in any aspect, even us, Like I don't think you work for a professional sports team unless.
Speaker 4: You're competitive, like you don't enjoy losing like you.
Speaker 3: You may you may.
Speaker 4: Not spend wisely, and you may make poor decisions, but I think the will and want to win is is there.
Speaker 3: It's just how you put it together.
Speaker 4: I don't think for anybody that says they don't want like or they don't want to win, I think that's you know, Jesse's may be crazy, but like I think they want to win.
Speaker 9: On the field and off.
Speaker 7: You don't make you don't get to winning.
Speaker 4: You don't get to where you're at anybody that is a billionaire if you are not cutthroat, competitive and want to just squash everybody body around you, like you can do it the right way, right, but you don't get to make that much money by not being like, I'm better than you, and I'm going to show you and I'm going to show you with my bank account. I'm going to show you with my helicopter, my my yacht, my building, my house, my car.
Speaker 3: Like I just think that that's.
Speaker 7: In mans don't care about, right, But I mean there.
Speaker 3: I think they're you're super super competitive and you want to win.
Speaker 7: Go ahead.
Speaker 3: Sorry, no, I'm just that was my opinion.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sorry.
Speaker 10: I remember being in a meeting last year where they were kind of poking at the Rangers a little bit because they, you know, obviously off the field aren't nearly as successful as the as the Cowboys. But I was just like, they have a trophy. Why are we poking them? You know, it just gets frustrating for fans.
Speaker 5: But again, whatever the team that you mentioned, I mean, the Rangers have been to the lect Cowboys have been to the Super Bowl. The cow the Rangers have been the two World Series in the last thirty years and one to one you know three three, yeah one one, Mavericks.
Speaker 9: Is one one, right, the Stars have been three times in one one.
Speaker 7: So they don't care.
Speaker 5: They don't care because still to this day when you talk about DFW sports in the last thirty years, you ain't talking Mavericks, You ain't talking Rangers. Now, you ain't talking Stars. You're talking to You're talking to you. You hanging with the boys. Literally, you are hanging with the boys.
Speaker 7: They don't care.
Speaker 4: They don't look at the tours that roll through here and go go to those other places and see what their tour business is like during their season.
Speaker 5: I mean the Cowboys, the cow If we did, and Chris, maybe you have this not for today, but if we did on average Oxnard, San Antonio practice attendants to Rangers season attendance, Stars, season attendants, Mavericks season attendant. We know that we know that Mark fluffed those numbers up over there, the Mavericks, all those cellouts. We know that Mark buys a lot of those tickets. It's like when the Cowboys come back here to do training camp. This place is packed, this place is sold out. And what does this see twelve thousand, yeah, twelve thousand for practice, not a game, a game, not a game, not a game. We talk about practice, which, by the way, on the Friday and Saturday, that's twenty four thousand people for practice.
Speaker 3: By the way, the seventy six ers did him wrong with that little tiny status they did.
Speaker 17: They did all there's all that as all those that dude, that dude punch of mic and the chest is bigger than that.
Speaker 3: But you're right, Jesse. I mean, and.
Speaker 4: Until people stop buying those jerseys, until they stop selling out every game, what.
Speaker 7: I advocating for, Please continue to buy it because yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, they're not going to stop. They're not gonna stop because like it or not, this is entertainment.
Speaker 7: This is the best.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's why we got a we got a podcasts. It's entertainment, man, and it's and it's I don't know, and you can never figure it out.
Speaker 4: And we love it and we're here for it every single day and thanks to everybody that tunes in and loves it right along with us.
Speaker 3: Drives us mad, But yeah, I constantly talk about it.
Speaker 7: So is that it?
Speaker 3: I think that's it. We're gonna clear the studio. Kirk, good seeing you, man.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we'll get to the other Bill Belichick, that's always funny to me.
Speaker 7: Yeah. Bill Bellison has a list.
Speaker 3: He has a list. Yeah, let's talk about that on Wednesday.
Speaker 4: You know what, pre draft, we don't know we're not going to give you any any draft insight you can't get on the Draft show. But let's talk a little bit about the draft next week and then table Bill Belichick talk. That's your guy for next week. Maybe maybe Nate will be back at some point, so maybe so.
Speaker 5: Jazz, get the Loshi for Nate. You see the nsic, get the Los Nate God. Yeah, masline something chrisco something.
Speaker 4: That's the car on fire God, Jazz, get the lotion for Chris. Thanks for keeping us on, Jeez, thanks for keeping Chris coming.
Speaker 7: Michelle put a little bit of something on this.
Speaker 5: Something what's my man's name, the cherical cream something puts Ali Vera puts something.
Speaker 3: We will be back next Wednesday. That stuff is the day before the draft.
Speaker 7: Tune in, Come on Nate, Thursday, right Thursday, we have.
Speaker 3: We'll be here on draft Day. I am so off today Thursday. It'll be Thursday. Be draft Day. Tune in on draft Day.
Speaker 7: Get something for those knees.
Speaker 3: Man next week we'll see then.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.