Speaker 1: Is this a great game or what with the Hall of Famer Tim Kirkshin. I'm his son, Jeff Kirkshon, and we are officially into.
Speaker 2: The second half of the baseball.
Speaker 3: Season, right. It's so good, Jev. And you celebrated the second half by redoing your unfinished basement. I am so proud of you. This is exactly how I would have done it. It is impeccable now in your unfinished incredibly organized. I had to go in there with McKinley, your daughter, my granddaughter this morning to find something, and everything was obvious. She pointed at it knew exactly what she wanted because everything is so organized. Way to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So our basement studio, which we're coming to from right now, is in one section of the basement. Then there's like a whole section that's got a big couch and a TV and.
Speaker 3: A roller coaster explained.
Speaker 1: And our friends London and Chris, they have two girls themselves and they have this plastic little Tyke's roller coaster that I guess their girls aren't playing with much anymore. And McKinley loves it.
Speaker 3: Well. I was down here this morning for an hour with her. It was absolutely glorious. But she gets on the roller coaster. Now it's just a small roller coaster, and I haven't seen this before, but she gets on it, and I keep thinking she's gonna fall off. Instead, it was great. She loved it, and she has nothing. I'm the worst of all time with roller coasters, as we know. I'm afraid of them. Anything it's too high, anything that's too fast, anything moves too quickly. I can't do it.
Speaker 2: Well, dad.
Speaker 1: And she also hit a milestone. She'll turn two on August the tenth. She hit a milestone.
Speaker 2: She knows her name.
Speaker 3: Now, right, So she said today McKinley Kirchen today, and I could understand the kirkchin. She said it better so than some radio show hosts that I've been on have said it over the years. So I'll take it. It was great.
Speaker 1: I have the very first time she ever said it on video, and so I brought a clip with us today, So let's play that.
Speaker 3: And what's your name, Kenny Kirchen, Good Carol.
Speaker 2: So that's McKinley Kirkchhin.
Speaker 3: That's so cool.
Speaker 2: McKinley kirchen. My daughter who you know?
Speaker 1: Emily and McKinley did a podcast sitting in these very chairs as well. Really yeah, I mean McKinley talks a lot but doesn't really say much, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: It sounds like you, hey, hey, just kidding.
Speaker 2: That was a good one.
Speaker 1: But thank you for the compliments on the unfinished basement. I get it from you are type, a overorganized type. So that section of the basement is right next to our studios, and you gotta be able to find your stuff, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, So, Jeff, before we get to the second half, I forgot to tell you this last week. Hunter Brown of the Big Train, of course, Houston Astro's All Star pitcher. I saw him at the All Star Game, and I forgot to tell you this, but I'd love to ask players, like, who did you meet here that you've always wanted to meet And it's like the first time and it's always well, they got to shake, you know, Sho Hay's hand, or you know, I met Aaron Judge for the first time. Hunter Brown looked at me and he said, Joe Tory. Joe Torre is eighty five years old, and Joe Tory was there as like the legendary manager who was in the dugout with Aaron Boone for the All Star Game. Actually went to the mound to make a pitching change. It was so great. Joe Tory is one of my favorite people ever. And Hunter Brown said, I said, Hunter, you know he was a great hitter, and he looked at me and he goes, I know like that, like he didn't want to just meet him because he's this decorated Hall of Fame manager. He also recognized that Joe Tory was a great player in his day.
Speaker 1: I think there's such a united effort between players and former players. I mean, we've heard so many great stories of Ted Williams, for example, nineteen ninety nine All Star Game Fenway Park. Just wanting to talk to these players about what do you see when you're up there? How do you read the ball? Because they have something in common. They can do something that ninety nine point nine percent of the world can't do, and that's hit.
Speaker 3: A fastball right. Absolutely. And speaking of the Hall of Fame, Jeff Tomorrow's guest is Big Billy Wagner, Hall of Fame relief pitcher. He will go in on Sunday. I will be in Cooperstown this weekend. I will leave I will go there Friday. Cannot wait. It's my favorite weekend of the year. And Billy Wagner just told us all sorts of stories, a couple which I've never heard before, and he made us laugh and he made a smile, and Billy Wagner insisted that he's five, 't ten. I still question that. But for later on today, we'll have a team tim where we're gonna have the shortest players at each position in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: It's gonna make us feel very comfortable.
Speaker 3: Right, Billy Wagner yelled at me. It was really funny.
Speaker 1: He was hilarious. All right, So you'll get that interview tomorrow on the feed. So make sure dad takeaways.
Speaker 3: All right, million takeaways to start the second halb the start of the second half, because everything is fresh and you say, all right, we're going, we're moving, we're rolling. Well. The second half is the same as the first half. For Trek Schoopl, who had another great performance on Sunday Night Baseball, no walks, eleven strikeouts, Jeff Now he's averaging one point one walks per nine innings and eleven point six strikeouts per nine innings. That leads the Major leagues this year. No pitcher has ever led the major leagues in both of those categories qualified pitcher in the same season. That is where he is heading. And he did it last night. Jeff wondering, is my wife gonna give birth tonight during the game. That's how close they are to having a baby? Which I mean, seriously, how does a pitcher go out there knowing his wife might be giving birth in the fourth inning of the game and he goes out and throws a gem against the range?
Speaker 1: Well, hold on, dad, I don't know if you know this, but I played in a rec league kickball game just hours before my wife was induced with McKinley, and I had two hits.
Speaker 2: So I mean, are we.
Speaker 1: Talking about Sunday Night baseball rec league kickball?
Speaker 2: I think they're the same.
Speaker 3: Are they called hits in kickball? Also? Yeah, you called it a hit?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hit one. I had two home runs in my career and kick yeah.
Speaker 3: I keep telling you you're a good athlete. I don't want to hear about this anymore. But I still don't understand how you kick a kickball with your left foot. What is wrong with you?
Speaker 1: I just had a conversation with somebody about this. Yesterday we had some friends over and he my buddy Tom. He's dominant right hand everything except for any stick sports, so he.
Speaker 2: Plays hockey left hand.
Speaker 1: And he said, what about you, because we were talking about both of our daughters, like McKinley, my daughter seriously right handed and everything, throws a ball, coloring, whatever. But I said, I do everything right except for I kick a ball left footed. And he goes, how do you know, I said, if you were to football, punting, kicking, soccer left footed, I can't even kick with him. I couldn't even try, probably tear an acl if.
Speaker 3: I tried, right well, I was thinking about Derek Scuoble last night. What happens if his wife has the baby in the third inning? What does he do? I think he stays and pitches the game wouldn't be fair to the team, or the bullpen or anything else. Plus, I think once you make the commitment I'm pitching tonight, you have to finish. Never forget the story, though, Jeff from nineteen ninety, I'm sure I told you this. Tom Browning, late Tom Browning, reds pitcher at the time starting pitcher, really good run through a perfect game in the big leagues. He's in the bullpen because he's a starting pitcher, and his wife is in Oakland with him for the World Series in nineteen ninety Reds and A's and she goes into labor and he's got to go to the hospital, so he doesn't even tell anyone where he's going. He goes to the hospital and full you to four. Okay, the game gets late and it gets close, and suddenly lou Panella calls down to the bullpen and says, you better get browning up just in case we go to extras and we might need some help. And they say, he's not here. He's gone. So he was at the hospital where his wife gave birth to a healthy child. So I saw him the next day because he went to the hospital in his uniform. I said, Tom, didn't anyone say anything that you were in your uniform? And he goes, no, he said, I think they just thought I was like a big fan of the team.
Speaker 2: That is incredible.
Speaker 1: Well, you know you mentioned if she went into labor in the third inning. At least my experience, I was not involved at all in that baby being delivered.
Speaker 2: Shout out to the nurses, Shout out to the doctor.
Speaker 1: I was just there for moral support, that of which I'm an overly optimistic guy, and even I broke down at one point.
Speaker 2: I said, I can't do this.
Speaker 3: You need to stay strong. You're not doing anything, Jeff. So I think she would get through it.
Speaker 1: Women are mothers, are incredible, They're powerful. It's magic what they can do, and us guys are just along for the front.
Speaker 3: Wait, Stan all right, Speaking of being great, though, the Brewers have won ten games in a row through through Sunday, they are now tied with the Cubs for the best record in the National League, and they are just behind the Tigers for the best record in Baseball. The Brewers are dangerous, Jeff. Now that they've got Jacob Mazerowski for the whole second half and Brandon Woodruff has come back from major arm issues to join the rotation with Freddie Peralta, they have a chance to be very dangerous. And I tell you that, Jeff, because the first World Series I ever covered was in eighty two and the Brewers were in it against the Cardinals, and it was such a thrill for me because I'm a beat guy covering the Texas Rangers. But I'm going to the World Series and I'm writing all the game stories. It was absolutely the best, and so many of those Brewers I'll never forget how much I enjoyed being around. One of them, of course, was Jim Gantner, their second baseman. His nickname was Gumby, and Gumby was like the most popular guy on the team and a tough, hard nosed little guy. But in the offseason he also had a lube business, like where like you would like change somebody's so as part of an auction item for the Brewers, Jim Gander would go to your house and change your oil in the driveway, and he is the second baseman for the Brewers. Gumby would go to your house and change your oil. I don't care what anyone says, Jeff, that is the greatest auction item.
Speaker 2: Of all time.
Speaker 1: It's better than when Kevin Malone in the office offered to do your taxes federal and state.
Speaker 3: Oh God, it's so good, all right. Trade deadline's also coming up, Jim.
Speaker 1: I have never been this excited for a trade deadline. I think with the expansion of the wildcard, Dad, it makes a lot more people buyers, which I think makes it difficult because there's more spots and more buyers. But I'm ready for some big moves this season.
Speaker 3: And Euhano Suarez of the Diamondbacks might be the biggest name to move. He's got thirty five home runs, He's an above average defensive third baseman, now team leader, Yankees, Mets, Cubs, all sorts of teams are gonna want this guy. My guess is he's gonna move. So he started this. He just had two straight multi homer games. The record is three straight multi homer games, and the last time it was done was by Jeff Devannon, who was just like a kind of a infielder in the big leagues. He hit thirty three career homers. He hit twelve during the two thousand and three season, but in two thousand and three he got to June the first with two home runs for the season, and then hit two home runs in three consecutive games. Seriously, how does that happen? I mean, like, Babe Ruth never did that, you know, Barry Bonds never did that. Hank Aaron never did that. Jeff Devannon did that. He was the last guy to do it.
Speaker 2: So six of his thirty three home run.
Speaker 3: Came in a three days fan two in each game. This is why baseball is so beautiful. All Right, you saw the Ronald Lacuna throw. It's several days late, but you saw the throw right.
Speaker 1: It was unbelievable. It was it was shades of Roberto Clemente in right field.
Speaker 3: Right. So, Clemeny made so many great throws. He is the greatest defensive right fielder ever and the greatest throwing outfielder that I have ever seen. So he made this famous throw in the seventy one World Series, which I watched live and never forgot it. But I did apparently forget it because Merv Retmand, who was a hitting coach for the Rangers when I covered them in the early eighties, I said, that throw from Clemenny, I can't And Merv was the runner on the play. And I'm talking to Merv and I had forgotten, sadly that Merv was the runner. And I said, when Clemeny threw that guy out at third and Merv Rehtman goes that guy that guy was me and he said, and I was safe at third. He was. The difference is irv Retmand knew that Clemeny could throw it from there to third base in the air. And make a great throw. The Yankee run for good.
Speaker 2: He forgot he didn't even slide.
Speaker 3: That can't happen, JEP. Doesn't take away from the amazing throw by Acunya. Let's just be clear. Roberto Clemeny has the greatest throwing arm ever. Acunya is amazing, but he's not as good as Roberto Clemtty.
Speaker 2: There's so many clips.
Speaker 1: I love this of Roberto Clemene making throws to home with nobody coming right, you know, because they just they're just like, we're not going like so he's making this beautiful throw right, catches it right here, right, and there's nobody coming because it's like we're not running on you anyway, dude.
Speaker 3: Why infield was such a great thing to watch when I was growing up and when I was covering early on, I would get to watch these great right fielders throw to the plate without anybody running, but you could see how strong their arms were. It was great, speaking a strong Aaron Judge hit another first inning homer on Sunday. That's thirteen first inning home runs this year. The record is eighteen, set by Judge last year and Alex Rodriguez in two thousand and one. So let's keep an eye on that and we'll stay in New York. The Mets retired David Writes number five on Saturday in a wonderful, heartwarming ceremony at City Field. Did you watch any of it?
Speaker 2: It was so beautiful.
Speaker 1: I saw his whole family arrive for it. It was a really really special day.
Speaker 2: And I want to you to tell me this.
Speaker 1: Where does he land amongst the greatest Mets of all time?
Speaker 3: Well, you understand, Jeff, the Mets have never had an MVP, which is still incredible. They've been there since nineteen sixty two and have never had an MVP. So to answer your question, and this is we're going to throw this out there for all Mets fans. We need your help because I find this to be really difficult to answer. Tom severs number one. That's easy. I think Mike Piazza is the second greatest Met of all time. I think David Wright's the third greatest Met of all time, and the fourth greatest is is very much up for debate, as is number three. I think also Dwight Gooden, Darryl Straw, Howard Johnson, Jacob de Graham. I mean, picking the four best Mets players of all time. Not easy now, and so let us know in the comments.
Speaker 2: Let us know.
Speaker 1: You can leave a review, you can comment on social media, whatever you want to do. Message us at great Game or what dot com if you're a met fan, or if you're just a fan of the game and you know the game well enough.
Speaker 3: First time I met David Wright, chip rookie player, and first time we meet him thirty seconds in, I think this guy gets it. This guy understands exactly where he is and what he's doing. And after his rookie year, I'll be close on this story. He goes back and lives in his parents' house where he grew up, and he was sleeping on the top bunk with his little brother in the lower bunk. He's a major League baseball player sleeping on the top bunk. This is why we have to love David Wright, and we have to love what the Mets did with his number.
Speaker 1: So if you are having your kids move in with you right now in their twenties, you can ask them, why aren't you playing major League baseball?
Speaker 3: Good point?
Speaker 1: All right, dad, Let's move on to thes What do you have for us?
Speaker 3: Remember, Jeff, we had the hit by pitch note earlier this year that Frank from the Elias found for me even though I told him, twenty nine hit batters in one day sounds like a lot. First day in major league history there ever been that many. So the other day TJ. Friedel of the Reds got hit three times in one game. Okay, it's thirty ninth times since nineteen hundred that anyone has been hit three times in a game. That ties the major league record. But the interesting thing is this is the third time this year that a player has been hit three times in the same game. Tyler Freeman and CJ. Abrams also got hit three times in a game, so we've already done it three times. The only other season in which there were three times one batter got hit three times in a game was in two thousand and six. Nomar Garciapara and get this reed Johnson got hit by a pitch three times twice in the same season, including in the same month. It was April of two thousand and six. He got hit three times in a game, and like three weeks later he got hit three times again. Now he got hit a lot. He got hit twenty one times that year, one hundred and thirty four times in his career. But I've always been fascinated by hit batters who gets hit all the time. I've told you Mickey Mantle got hit thirteen times in his entire career, Tony Gwynn twenty four times in his entire career. Really great players fight away to not get hit because they don't need to get hit in order to get on base.
Speaker 1: Well, Tony Gwynn famously was afraid to break his own bat up there, right, So he's not one to crowd the plate. I liked, you know, he's the one to let the ball come to him, because every time he break a bat, it was like losing a family brighter.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, So I looked up eleven different guys have had three thousand plate appearances in their major league career and been hit less fewer than three times in their careers. And these guys got hit three times in one game. John Cruk, our all time hero Cruoky, he got hit twice in four thousand, six hundred and three played appearances. So TJ. Friedel got hit more times in one game than Krucky got hit in four thousand, six hundred and three played appearance. That's the most played appearances. For anyone with fewer than three hit batters. And of course Mark Lemke holds the all time major league record. He had three thousand, six hundred and sixty four played appearances and never got hit by a pitch. And the interesting part is Krucky and Mark Lemke were absolutely fearless baseball players. So if anyone ever says, oh, they were afraid of the ball, they didn't want to get hit, complete opposite with them. Lemke was a switch hitter, and it's just incredible to me that you could bat, you know, three hundred and fifty times a year for ten years and not get hit by a pitch. That's what happened to Mark Lemke.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I didn't play much ball in my life, but I mean nine to you right when you start, kid pitch, I got it five times in a game.
Speaker 2: I think kids have no control.
Speaker 3: Right of course, like the big leaders. And that's that's part of the hit batter you know, crazy we got now, Jeff, We've got a lot of guys with violent stuff who don't really know how to command it. And that's why the hit by pitch rate is where it is. Hey, Elias Diaz had two squeeze bunths in one game the other day? How about bad? So his batting line was one at bad zero hits, zero run scored two RBIs one zero zero two. But I checked Brett Wisely of the Giants had two squeeze bunths already this year, so he's not the first guy to do it. Just another reminder, Jeff, when you're looking for first of all time or first in a long time, baseball seems to make things happen all the time. Did you check with Elias about Elias? I called Frank from the Elias about Elias Diaz. I did there.
Speaker 2: You're well done.
Speaker 3: I love it. It's great, all right, all right. We had some great pictures of record this week, Jeff. We had the Bailey Falter Jonathan Cannon picture of Record Falter Cannon, Falter, Cannon, cannon falter. Yeah, yeah, I would have been pretty bad on what a pirate ship or something?
Speaker 2: You can't have your cannon's faltering?
Speaker 3: Right? Well, I found that one an interest.
Speaker 1: Jack Sparrow would not have been happy with that one.
Speaker 3: We had a great one on Sunday, brought to us by Steve Sparks, who for a former Major League picture was on our podcast. He's definitely our boy. I am now convinced he's the biggest seam head of any former player that I have ever met. Because he sent me this last night, I'd already recognized it. Caleb Ort and Brian Wu were the Pictures of Records, so we had an Ort Wu. Now it doesn't form anything, but he just wrote me a very few letters in the Pictures of Record.
Speaker 1: Well, if you put him together, you could say, hey, can you look at this wart on my well.
Speaker 3: I tried to make something out of Ort and Wo. But you know, we only had four letters that we're dealing with here, three o's.
Speaker 1: We had a member of the family, as we call them, people who listened to our show. Remember when Steve Sparks gave us, he sent in an attendance, right, and I think it was Palin Dramer thirty three and three right, yeah, wrong here, yeah.
Speaker 3: But somebody messages us and said, I can't believe you guys missed this. Three to three is the area code in which they were playing in That is I'm telling you, Jeff, we have some very clever readers, and I'm bommed.
Speaker 1: I don't have it on me like this. Is just coming up because we brought Steve Sparks. So whoever you are, you know who you are, you messaged me.
Speaker 3: And I responded because Steve Sparks is our guy, right, So I looked it up the last time we had and this is a little surprising, a three letter last name for the winning and losing picture last year, Luise Heel of the Yankees last year, and Brian wu And in twenty twenty three we had Colin Ray and Drew Rahm, and we had Dylan Lee and Derek Laws. So it wasn't nearly as unusual as I thought it was gonna be three letters. I mean, no pitchers ever pitched with fewer than three letters in his last name, and we had two. So we've had four three letter matchups in the last three years.
Speaker 1: I always think three letters just kind of looks funny on a jersey. But I would take that over Crow Armstrong on a jersey any day of the week, right, poor guy. I mean, he's got his letters down his ribkekes right, a lot of letters, but there's there's a hyphen in there, right still, But I mean, right, it's not salta imachia. You're right, right, all right in speaking of corkschinstad and speaking of members of our family who are sending things in. Josh Rosen sent this and I'm gonna I'm just gonna read it what he wrote, Hello, Tim and Jeff. I immediately thought of you two after leaving today's July twentieth Angels Phillies game.
Speaker 2: At Citizens Bank Park.
Speaker 1: First of all, awesome that he was thinking of us, right, and right means he's in the area and we're filming and skip back Pennsylvania.
Speaker 2: The Angels won eight to two.
Speaker 1: In a thorough drum in every facet sounds like a Phillies fan right there. But the most fascinating is that the Phillies made twenty seven outs as to all losing teams, right, but not a single one was to the outfield. There were twenty groundouts, including double plays, six strikeouts, and a line out to third.
Speaker 2: To end the game.
Speaker 1: My question is, when was the last time a team made no outfield outs in a game?
Speaker 2: If ever? Thanks thank you Josh for this great one.
Speaker 3: Well, I called Frank from the Elias because I wouldn't know how to find that on my own, and to my astonishment, it's happened two other times this season an a team did not have an outfield put out in a game. Which do you find that odd too?
Speaker 1: I was really hoping because I told you this on my ride home. You called Frank in the matter of about five minutes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I told Frank, I said, our relationship might end with this question, but I need your help very quickly. Can you tell me? And like a minute later he had the answer, That's what Frank is capable of doing. I was hoping this would be not since the live ball era have we seen it, right, seeing a team go an entire game without an outfield put out?
Speaker 1: Well, it was interesting during I was watching the game that game, and you know the Tom McCarthy was saying, like, nobody's really hit a ball hard today, Yeah, because nobody's even gotten it out on the infield at that point. Now, they did end up having a solo homer, thank goodness, but no no outs made by the outfielders.
Speaker 2: They must have been pretty.
Speaker 3: Bored out right, it must have been. Yeah. So on. On June the twenty fifth, nineteen seventy six, Jeff Toby Harra played a double header for the Texas Rangers at shortstop against the White Sox. And did not have a put out or an assist in the game. So it's the only shortstop stop. It's the only time in Major league history that anyone's played a double header at shortstop without a putout or an assist. Travis Jackson, Hall of Famer, had the previous record where he had one total chance in a doubleheader and Toby Harra came along and broke it. Toby Harra also so drove in eight runs in the doubleheader, but defensively he had no chances. And what is so special about Toby Harrah?
Speaker 2: Toby Hara?
Speaker 3: What's his last name?
Speaker 2: It's a Palandra.
Speaker 3: There you go, look at that. Not too many of that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you better knock in eight runs if you're not doing anything on the field, right, might be a.
Speaker 3: Tea help defensively. So I asked Toby about that because I covered it with the Rangers. I said, Toby, how is that possible? And he just looked at me and he goes, that was a weird day. Well, of course it was. You're the shortstop. You should be involved in every plight, right all right. Lastly, for the for the Quirkschin Jeff Xander Bogart's hit his eighth Grand Slam of his career, So he has many Grand Slams as Willy Mays eight Willie Mays, Xander Boguards. Xander Bogart is a good player. Willie Mays now has the same number of Grand Slams as Xander Bogart.
Speaker 1: Up next to is this a great game? Or what on this state? In baseball history? Dad has a special team tim for the shorties out there.
Speaker 3: You know what A yeah, it's up shorty. Have you ever said that to somebody? Hey shawty, No, I've been. People have called me that, but not It's like a fun nickname to call someone. They mean it like literally for me. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so we'll do that and then we're going to bring it back. It's in the cards.
Speaker 1: We're going to open a deck of cards and talk about the players. It's all coming up next on this is a great game or what on this state baseball history? Welcome back to is this a great game?
Speaker 3: Or what?
Speaker 2: What do you have today? Dad? For July the twenty second.
Speaker 3: Well on this date in nineteen thirty Philly's picture Phil Collins. Phil Collins hit a home run in the fourth and fifth inning of a game it's unusual for a picture did two homers in a game, especially in back to back innings.
Speaker 2: Do you know what he said to the opposing picture.
Speaker 3: No, he said I could feel it in the air tonight. That's what he told me. When well, that's what I heard he said before the game.
Speaker 1: I thought he whispered to the opposing picture, come stop your crying.
Speaker 2: It'll be all right. Just take my hand, hold it.
Speaker 3: Tight, right, Jeff. That's pretty all someome good Phil Collins wrap And that's from Tarzan. Tarzan, and that's the song that Kelly and I danced to at her wedding.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a very emotional moment. That's one of our favorite songs sometimetime.
Speaker 3: I cried all the way through that. By the way, I took four dance lessons. Guy came into the house to give me dance lessons just to prep for one dance with Kelly Kirkchin on the day she got married. And I was really bad fourth lesson, so I've already gone through three. He looked at me very politely, said still little stiff, And I told him, I said, I'm more wooden than Pinocchio. You know that I can't dance and then the kicker is I Kelly criticism. Kelly actually made a minor mistake in the father Daughter dance, and I was not the one that made the mistake. What are the chances of that? I would have put a lot of money down gambling wise, the dancing's not your future. Yeah, I remember that he was a funny dance instructor, and I was a terrible dancer and still am. And I don't think there's ever hope me getting better. Agree, Well, yeah.
Speaker 1: Dad, you're sixty eight. Can't teach an old dog nu dance moves?
Speaker 3: All right? This date in nineteen sixty, Ted Williams stole a base. So he stole He's one of four players to steal a base in four different decades. Ted Williams stole twenty four bases in his career, got caught seventeen times. But because how his career began, it began in thirty nine, it ended in sixty he stole a base in four different decades.
Speaker 2: Do you have the other I do?
Speaker 3: Can I?
Speaker 2: Can I take a game?
Speaker 3: You can?
Speaker 2: Pete Rose?
Speaker 3: No, no, try, Pete Rose didn't start till sixty three. No, no, Ricky, Yeah, Pete Rose could have but he didn't. Rickey Henderson did. Ricky Henderson did. Got to think of longevity. This guy is a shortstop who has all the vowels in his name. The one that you Marvis skel Yes, very good, and the last one is on our all short Hall of Fame team. He played first base when I played second base for an inning in the celebrity softball game.
Speaker 2: Tim Rains, there you go, there it is.
Speaker 3: So it's Tim Rains, Omarvis skel Ted, Williams, Ricky Henderson a stolen base in four different decades.
Speaker 2: It's a pretty good lineup right there.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And speaking of good lineups, on this date in nineteen eighty nine, Carlistremsky umpire, Al Barlick in field of Red Shandy's and Johnny Bench all went into the Hall of Fame. And I bring that up, Jeff, as we think about the Hall of Fame coming up. And I don't want to be corny about this, but the most powerful part of any Hall of Fame weekend is when so Johnny Bench gets to the guys who enter the Hall of Fame and takes him out on the veranda and has him look at that beautiful lake and says I want you to look at that lake for one minute. I don't want you to say a word. I just want you to think about where you are, how you got here, and who helped you get here. It's the most emotional thing. He He did this with me when I was honored by the Hall of Fame three years ago, and it's still the most powerful thing professionally that has ever happened to me. Johnny Bench and I sat out on that verana and looked at that lake. It was amazing.
Speaker 1: Another shameless promotion of tomorrow's interview with Billy Wagner, who will enter the Hall of Fame this weekend. We're going to dive more into the inductees of this weekend on Thursday's episode. So make sure you keep listening. You subscribe wherever you're listening right now. Follow, you know, share it with a friend, all that good stuff. Leave us a review too, Apple Podcasts, Spotify, all that stuff.
Speaker 3: We're not done yet. I know I usually do that at the end, but I thought I would add it. Dad, You've been tea The short Guy Team Tim. What do you Got for Us? By Jeff One of my favorite things about baseball, as I've told you a million times. It's open to all shapes and sizes as long as you have the skill to play the sport. It really doesn't matter how big or small you are, but you better have strong hands otherwise you're not gonna make it in this sport. So I looked up and I think I've got this right. The shortest guys at each position. If not, we're really really close on this. Yogi Barra is our catcher. He's five foot seven and he won three MVPs and finished second twice. So let's not forget how great a player Yogi Bear was. I a little trouble at first base finding a really short first baseman. Jake Beckley, who played a long time ago, is five foot ten. He's our shortest second baseman. Joe's first basement. Sorry, Joe Soole is our second baseman. He's five to six. Joe Morgan is five to seven. Joe sull is the guy who played an entire season and struck out three times the entire season. And Jeff we've had had twenty four now twenty four guys this year, twenty four times as a leadoff hitter, struck out four times in a game this season, and Joe Sewell didn't strike out four times for an entire season. That's how much the game has changed, all right, third base was hard to find a really short guy. George Kell five foot nine is our third baseman. Rabbit Moranville. They just don't have names like that now they don't. He's our Hall of Fame shortstop five foot five. Had a bunch of shorties, you know, Phil Rizzuto five to six, that type of thing. We Willie Keeler.
Speaker 2: I mean, is there my favorite stratomatic card out there?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Eight plus plus stealing?
Speaker 3: Right right? We Willy Keeler. What a perfect nickname for a guy who is five foot four in the Hall of Fame. Amazing Hack Wilson who drove in one hundred and ninety one runs in nineteen thirty. He was five foot six and he had a five and a half size shoe. What yeah, I have a seven and a half shoe, he wears he wore a five and a half size shoe.
Speaker 2: You're down to seven and a half.
Speaker 3: I'm getting shorter, and my feet are getting shorter.
Speaker 1: Your feet are getting smaller. Yeah, you know what is the greatest pain in the world. Then, as we grow older, the only things that continue to grow are your nose and your ears.
Speaker 2: It's a true story.
Speaker 1: I'm not even being funny. Well, and you're a case study for that. Yeah, obviously have you seeing my daddy Pat's ears? God bless his heart. Him and I both we have.
Speaker 2: Very low hanging ears. And he's got sixty years on me.
Speaker 3: Who's got the smallest ears of any guests we've ever had? You remember the smallest ears? Remember this now our first guest, each of the first two.
Speaker 2: Oh, Eduardo Perez does have really small years. You've talked to him about that.
Speaker 3: I've known him for fifteen years. I finally looked at his ears the other day and I said, oh my god, look how smaller ears are, And he goes, you just figured that out. I got the smallest ears ever.
Speaker 1: I think him and Emily Kirkschen, my wife, probably similar sized ears. But she's four foot ten and didn't play Major League baseball.
Speaker 3: Big difference, all right. Tim Rain's our third outfield, Yeah, five foot eight. Clark Griffith is the shortest picture we can find in the Hall of Fame. He's nineteen hundred on he was five foot six. And Billy Wagner is our relief pitcher just out of you know, because he's just going in claims he's five to ten. I don't care if he's five to ten or six'. Ten he's short and he's, great and he's going into The hall Of fame On sunday and he. Will he was a spectacular guest for us tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Night check that.
Speaker 1: Interview make sure to follow so it pops up on your. Feed you can enable, downloads all that.
Speaker 2: Stuff you. Know people always ask Us dad, like how can we support the?
Speaker 3: Podcast number one thing you can do just hit that follow or subscribe.
Speaker 2: Button and remember we're on, YouTube so if you.
Speaker 1: Like watching YouTube, videos subscribe to us on YouTube full video. Podcast everything you hear every week is actually videoed for YouTube as. Well it's in the card Stat are you? Ready oh, Yeah And i'll rip them as they, SAY i found this in cleaning out my unfinished.
Speaker 3: Faces, yeah you did a great. Job and you found my box score, book WHICH i need to take home just as proof THAT i cut out every box more of every game for twenty straight years like a fifth. Grader, okay so we're gonna start off With we've Got Curtis mead of The, Rays Curtis mead is From, australia SO i asked, him, like how did you end up in the big? Leagues and he, said, well we didn't play much baseball WHERE i was, from and he SAID i routinely had to play against people who were older than. Me so he, SAID i was like ten years old AND i was playing against adults like twenty year old because they didn't have enough, players AND i was pretty good and all that. Stuff so his, his you, know route to the major leagues was different than almost anybody.
Speaker 2: Else what's the favorite toy of every girl In? Australia The?
Speaker 3: Bobby, hey not, Bad it's pretty, good, RIGHT i just made that up out of.
Speaker 2: Nowhere thank, you Says suzuki of The.
Speaker 3: Cubs still not sure how we didn't make The All star. Team, SHOCKED i, mean with so many extra guys who made, it with guys being dropped off and everything. Else but, Look All Star, game win The. Pennant what's more? Important cubs winning the Penn it's more important than that. Guy if they, do will have a huge hand in that.
Speaker 1: And they'll have to hold off the very Hot. Brewers as we talked to you. Earlier, ABSOLUTELY i meant to say this. Earlier how incredible would it be The brewers make a run for the first full season after the passing Of Bob.
Speaker 3: Buker, well don't think That yuke isn't up in heaven right now pulling some. STRINGS i. THINK i know it sounds, corny BUT i believe in that. Stuff you, know your, grandfather my, Dad pop was pulling strings for The Red, sox his beloved team in two thousand and. Four Remember pop was born in nineteen. Nineteen he died in two thousand and. Three he was alive for eighty four, years and he was not alive during Any Championship World Series championship season by The Red. Sox so when they won in two thousand and, four we thought Maybe pops up and having pulling some strings for The Red, Sox AND i have no Doubt Bob buker is doing the same for The, brewers, who LIKE i, said are really good and are going to be a. Nightmare In, October.
Speaker 2: Pete alonzo of The New York.
Speaker 3: Mets Pete alonso had had played in three hundred and fifty three consecutive games and then because of a right hand, contusion did not Start sunday's game against The, reds but he played in the, game so he extended his game streak to three fifty, four which is the longest in franchise. History Pete Alonzo, postman he shows up all the time ready to, go and he had a Great All star game and a three run homer that would have won it if you, know The American league hadn't tied it in the bottom of the ninth and.
Speaker 2: Back to Back mets and this Pack Dad Brandon Nimmo.
Speaker 3: Well is one of my favorite guys because he's such a normal. Guy and of course he grew up In wyoming and all the people in his family were, cowboys and that was what he was going to be when he was growing. Up he was going to be a. Cowboy and then he started playing. Baseball they didn't even have a high school baseball team where he played because it's such a small. State but he, REALIZED i have some baseball, skills So i'm not going to go ride a horse for a. LIVING i did ask, him were you really good on a? Horse he goes everyone in our family was good on a, horse but he chose baseball as he should. Have.
Speaker 2: Instead Billy wagner, tomorrow, right.
Speaker 3: And then we have another podcast like we do Every, Thursday and On, thursday we'll talk more About Billy wagner's. Career we'll talk ABOUT Cc, Sabathia we'll talk about Each, Rosuzuki we'll talk About Dick. Allen we're going to talk About Dave. Parker we're going to talk about all the guys who are going into The hall Of fame On. Sunday it is a, magical magical day In. Cooperstown that town is, ludicrous charming AND i cannot wait to go back On.
Speaker 1: Friday and make sure that if you see my, dad if you're going to The hall Of, fame if you're going To, cooperstown if you see, him you just got to tell, Him, Hey i'm part of the. Family, yeah and he'll know that you're a podcast. Listener, well thank you so much for. Listening, Dad thanks for coming. HERE i know you got to get you got to get home to that dog so you can clean up all of the poop and pea spots on the.
Speaker 3: Carpet rexy is doing better. Better her AND i have had a nice. CHAT i told HER i was considering changing her name To egypt because she keeps leaving pyramids all over the. House BUT i think she got the hint and we're doing.
Speaker 1: Better thank you so much for, listening and as, always thank you for being a part of our.
Speaker 2: Family