Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This is the Players Lounge broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World headquarters at the Star. Now your hosts Barry Church, Danny McCrae, Hecma Harrison, and New.
Speaker 2: He scrugs. That's right, Players Lounge live from Frisco.
Speaker 4: Let's go owners of the Dallas Cowboys here at the Star SWBC Podcast Center. You know the crew is Heckma Harrison in the house, very Church, former Cowboys safety. I am merely new, he scrugs. Damam day off. So Players Lounge by you buy Aristocrat.
Speaker 2: Trey Lance. Let's just go right.
Speaker 4: Cowboys thirteen twelve. Let's just go right there to Trey Lance. This is about Trey LANs need to see what Trey Lance could do. I need grades, gentlemen.
Speaker 2: Heckman, you gonna go to me first, right out the bud off the But all right, I'm going you know what.
Speaker 5: Look, what I'm not gonna do is make Trey Lance my whipping boy for the off season, for the for the preseason. I go to do that, okay, And I was I was judging him according to each throw and I came away with a C minus. I came away with a C minus performance. I mean, it's easy to say D or F, but C minus. He gave you some things athletically that it was like, oh, okay, I see you know six four twenty five, got wills, what can run? But he missed on a lot and and you know, Babe and the Bill, the broadcast, everybody, they didn't you.
Speaker 2: Know, they didn't let him go on it.
Speaker 5: They shown him, they circled it up and just let him know, Hey, he's missing some spots. Mechanics is and all the way there. And I think it's a byproduct of the time that he hasn't played in the league. But I can I can still see the potential and why they're buying in to Trey Lance. I asked some other questions. I'm sure we're going to get into that about Trey Lance, but that's my grade that I give him SI minus.
Speaker 2: You know what, I'm with you on the C minus.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna go ahead and get I was gonna hit him with the D bud pause, but I'm gonna give him the C minus because, like you said, he showed some athleticism out there. And what I was most impressed with is he had a conscious effort to not only do it with his legs, but he wanted to show you that he can do it from the pocket as well. I mean, they let him out there throw it I think forty one times out there, only threw for a buck eighty eight, but he didn't turn the ball over and he did have a lot of drops out there. Now, he was playing with a lot of young casts that are you know, trying to make the team and are just now starting to get their legs fresh when it comes to the NFL, So.
Speaker 2: He had a lot of drops. But overall, like you said, heck.
Speaker 6: He he really wasn't accurate, really wasn't accurate at all, you know, at a at all the quarterbacks that played in that game, I think it was sets and Ben played all for the ram. Yeah, you know everyone Trey Lass and then you had you know, Cooper Rush, who throw an absolute dime earlier in that game.
Speaker 2: But you know, I think he was the second best quarterback out there.
Speaker 6: You know, he showed his athleticism as far as getting away from the rush if he needed to, and you know, he had a couple of good throws out there, but for the most part, he just wasn't accurate, and he looked like a guy that you.
Speaker 2: Know, you would think, Okay, man, this guy must be a rookie.
Speaker 6: No, this this guy's been in a league a while, yes, you know he And what's most disappointing is, you know, you get with the quarterback Whisper and Mike McCarthy going on year two, and you know, it's just we just haven't seen that improvement. You know, you would think you would, you know, get into this game and he's going against vanilla defenses and the twos and the threes for the Rams. He ain't going against the starters, and he wasn't even able to pick those guys apart like I thought he would be able to. He still reminds me of the guy that, you know, was fresh out of college in North Dakota State with seventeen starts, you know, not not that much improvement.
Speaker 2: And he's been in the league a little bit.
Speaker 6: So I'm gonna give him a C minus because he showed me that he he was able and conscious effort to go out there and try to do it with his arm, not.
Speaker 2: Just his legs.
Speaker 6: But I just got to see more improvement, more commandity offense. Hopefully we'll see that going into the preseason games. Six attempts forty four yards using his legs. That right there took him out of the D category because this is an aspect of the game as a quarterback. If you can use your feet pick up some yardage, this will help you. So we know Tray can do that. So he did that.
Speaker 4: But otherwise, in terms of passing throwing the football here, twenty five completions on forty one attempts one hundred and eight yards. That's not cutting it. That's not cutting it. Cooper Rush is number two quarterback lockings right now, just put it in there. That's what's going to happen. He's going to be your backup quarterback. And with all due respect, you know they've cut down the preseason games, so we know the last preseason game Church you've played in, I mean that's you know that you're not going to get anything there. So you've got this next one coming up here, and this is not gonna he's not gonna be able to do enough in one preseason game to say for anybody to say, hey, this is our number two guy. So this point in time, it's going to be Cooper Rush is the number two back up to Dak Prescott. Trey Lance is going to be the number three guy. He's just gonna have to try to keep on improving. I will give him this grace. This is where you hope Mike McCarthy and Scott Tolzen can keep working with him.
Speaker 2: I will go back to Cooper Rush.
Speaker 4: There was a point in time when Cooper Rush lost his job here, was cut, then had to go play for Jason Garrett and the Giants came back and he improved. So to me, the grace I'm giving Trey Lance is simply this. We have seen in this league, guys who can improve, Guys who can can.
Speaker 2: Start get better.
Speaker 4: Nick Foles absolutely never thought Nick Foles would be sitting up here as a Super Bowl winning quarterback and an MVP who, oh, by the way, beat Bill Belichick.
Speaker 2: But he improved, he got better.
Speaker 4: I'm looking at Trey Lance's that's the high end of what I believe he could do.
Speaker 2: Keep staying in this one system.
Speaker 4: Hopefully they signed Dak Prescott and maybe in twenty five he could eventually go and become a backup quarterback. But right now, with where the season is going and what's going on here, there's not gonna be enough time for Trey Lance to be the number two quarterback in my opinion.
Speaker 5: Look, guys, look, I'm not pairing no that I don't believe in conspiracy theories, but I was shocked at forty one passes. I was okay, and I'm just saying, I know it's preseason and it's not a lot to make of that, but if you look around the rest of the league, that just was a lot, you know, as far as his average. And to me, we left out of here on Friday and I was talking about he's not a bargainship and all that.
Speaker 2: Just get Dak signed the whole nine.
Speaker 5: But just based off of their actions in the place that they put him in, I'm like, hey, this is a let's see what we got under the hood kind of a situation right now for Trey Lance. And I don't blame him, because what would we be saying right now if Trey Lance went out there and he was twenty five or thirty two through for three hundred and fifteen yards and had two tuddies in certain precis controversy, because that's what you'd be talking about he'd be talking about what look the Cowboys embarrassing embarrassments of riches at the quarterback position. They have a decision to make it looks like Trey Lance is the air appearing things like that. So look, like I said, he's not going to be my whipping boy. I know that he has a lot to his game that is going to be desired to be c you can get he Look, tell me if I'm right or wrong on this, But when it comes down to quarterbacks in the league, you don't have to be the most athletic guy. Just stand there and deliver the mail. If these guys are running these routes, make sure that you get it to them. And as many, plenty of times that he was missing guys wide open, and it's just.
Speaker 2: Not even my belief. This is like the football Bible.
Speaker 5: A good wide receiver can't make a bad quarterback look good, but a good quarterback can make a bad wide receiver at least look decent.
Speaker 4: The touchdown, it was a touchdown. The fan that he just miss trade miss Oh well, oh yeah, he just missing. You've got to make that kind of throw. And that's where I go back into just the grace all right, young player, they'll go back. You look at the film and he's got to be able to hit that, and you hope that he can do that against the raiders coming up here if you get that opportunity again. But if I'm head coach Mike McCarthy and this is my last contract, hey man, Cooper Rush, you the guy Trey Lance, keep working over here. We'll keep on seeing how we can make you better. He should play a whole lot against the raiders, and you just keep on trying to feed him and see where it can go. But I just think at this point, heck, we have to really just be realistic about this and say, this is a project right now, this is a Trey Lance project. I wouldn't give up on the project. But it's a project, though, why not?
Speaker 2: Why not? Okay, Cooper Rush is up at the end of the year. Yeah, it'll be thirty Yeah.
Speaker 4: Do you want to keep going there or at some point in time because it's going to cost you, by the way, because this is a good back.
Speaker 2: A player who knows hit you about five you don't hit you in trades.
Speaker 4: You'll spend that trade trades, and that the prices will be falling Okay, with that Walmart rollbacks, that contract gonna be the Walmart roller.
Speaker 7: Bay great value, great value. Okay, I'm bought. That's the great value.
Speaker 8: Yes he is.
Speaker 2: So dude, we got to.
Speaker 4: Pay Micael right, So Coop, I can't give you a five million, But Tray I got.
Speaker 9: I got two capt crunch it's the parrot crunch over. You do the Ritos, Fruddy Stone, you know, got Frudy Stone.
Speaker 5: Oh man, you know you have doing all the negotiating for on his mixed contract right here on the players last man just telling the.
Speaker 2: Man where he is.
Speaker 5: And look, I mean even if you look at the San Francisco forty nine is where he was in Shanahan's system, and Shanahan is playing with perde mister irrelevant. I mean with that, they were all in on Trey Lance. So they I'm just talking about what they traded to get him. What they traded, what they gave away to get him, led me to believe that they were all in on him.
Speaker 2: He came in and showed them that he didn't have it.
Speaker 5: And sometime, based on your point, it's like what if a guy just don't just have it?
Speaker 4: Some guys don't have it Kyle got talked into that, he got talked to.
Speaker 2: He didn't want it.
Speaker 4: They talked to Lynch and can't remember that guy. They management was like this this dude and it's crazy. This dude was like in a mac jone.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, but had that work out, but he was he loved.
Speaker 2: Look, they loved Kirk Cousins.
Speaker 4: That's who they truly wanted back in the day, but they had to go sell and get Garoppolo. So Purty fits the kind of guys that Shanahan wants here and Trey Lance when they saw he could do he shan quick.
Speaker 2: If you see a guy can't do it but you didn't, don't keep holding hanging on to it.
Speaker 5: It ain't the thriller's gone, baby, But you know you're trying to talk yourself into that's what you do.
Speaker 2: Know what you doing? Look at what Look at what you got out of Cooper Rush?
Speaker 5: Right, Okay, this man sat around here is with Garrett Gilbert.
Speaker 2: That's true. He buried Cooper Rush.
Speaker 4: You never would have thought Cooper Rush on Sunday n football through for thre hundred dards beat Minnesota Bikas on Halloween night.
Speaker 2: Again, that's true.
Speaker 4: That's all I'm talking about here is could he get to this point. Matt Hasselback is a guy we saw in Green Bay as a fifth rounder who kept improving and in eventually got Trey has not played. You mentioned it before we started looking at he didn't play a lot in college football. The problem for the forty nine ers and everybody else who was doing the evaluating is you evaluated a guy who didn't play. Same thing with Mitchell Trubisky that thirteen starts at North Carolina and with third team all a sec. Yeah, he's gonna get drafted before my Homes and Deshaun. There was misevaluate all day long, and so you've misevaluated him.
Speaker 2: You gave up afore. If he played for the forty nine Ers that year, they would have got No. Four. He'd have been like Fields getting a six.
Speaker 4: Right, you know it had been a giveaway, But because it happened before the season, you had to give up before and you met.
Speaker 2: The price tag.
Speaker 4: But now you're just seeing, hey, there's a little more work to go here. So before I throw him overboard, I'm just simply saying, heck, if you have the player for this year's under contract, if you bring it back next year under Dak Prescott and you get him.
Speaker 2: At your price?
Speaker 4: Is that the world's worst thing? Now, you can still go out and look for another quarterback. You should still keep looking, But if you're working with the player. And I had to have Mike McCarthy and Scott Tolzine tell me, Jerry Jones, general manager, we are seeing some progress, We're seeing some things.
Speaker 2: That's what I'd have to see. And if they tell me, nah, dude, we tried, we did what we could. We had a whole year. We may need to look on. I would do that too.
Speaker 4: But you're also go being a driver's seat, because what options would he have if he spends the whole years a third quarterback and he doesn't really play.
Speaker 2: Ain't be whole bunch to be a running out there sat.
Speaker 5: The problem with that is Mike McCarthy doesn't have a whole lot of time either with this situation.
Speaker 2: Well, that's why he's gonna be your number three.
Speaker 4: But that whole practice time when they spend, you know, when when they have another year to keep on trying to improve the play. And I just once again, I go back to what I saw with Cooper Rush, and I think That's a heck of a lot of credit to give McCarthy and his staff because I never envisioned Cooper Rush being what he is now, which is, hey, man, if Dak is down, this dude can keep you in the game. He's shown you I'll keep the ship afloat. In fact, we can stay in first. Only issue with that is that's when he snaps.
Speaker 6: Do you think a third string quarterback is going to get out there running?
Speaker 2: Is he going to be able to improve that much? Within the system?
Speaker 6: Cooper Rush was a backup, so he was taking at least, you know, three or four out of the ones reps during practice with the regular one threw out there, so he was able to improve that way. When we talk about your third stream quarterback, you know he may get a couple scout team reps when when Cooper Rush is like a let me, let me take a breather, he may get some scout team reps, but for sure he's not gonna get any first and.
Speaker 5: Now we're talking about a roster spot right now? Are we talking about a roster spot for him as well? So, I mean, this is just one of those you're in a pickle if you're going to continue down this road and this guy doesn't eminently develop into what you're what you want?
Speaker 4: What a what a fantastic conversation that we get to have. Keep going on this, it's pretty cool. All right, let's get up, Let's get our first break in here. Hey yeah, chew doga going to miss time. The Cowboys left tackle is going to miss some time. We'll tell you what the injury is and where the Cowboys go next on the critical portion of their football team is the offensive line with Barry Churchick. May hear something re stress plays nots bot to you by Aristocrat Gaming on Dallas Coowboys dot com Radio.
Speaker 1: Are you the twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys Fan of the Year. The Dallas Cowboys and Captain are celebrating extraordinary, inspiring and original fans. Nominate yourself or the biggest Cowboys fan you know for a chance to be named the twenty twenty four Fan of the Year and win prizes including a trip to Super Bowl fifty nine. Visit Dallascowboys dot com slash Fan.
Speaker 2: Of the Year, Go Cowboys. Hey, They're Cowboys Nation.
Speaker 10: Kyle Yeoman's here sharing that same team that brought you Buffalo bringing NFL casino games that show America's team on and off the reels. Aristocrat is changing the game with a new experience football fans. This means you can pick your team and play your team. Check out the Cowboys themed casino games developed by Aristocrat, a prown sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Gambling problem please contact the US National Problem Gambling Helpline at one eight hundred gambler that's one eight hundred gam b l e R for twenty one over.
Speaker 8: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: As they snapped the press, guy who looks right, it's not there. He escapes left. He'll for a first down.
Speaker 11: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know him in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 12: Pres Scott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 8: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered. What are you waiting for? Get started at blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 10: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare.
Speaker 2: Set and free shipping.
Speaker 10: The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy wpball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash.
Speaker 2: Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP to the players Lounge.
Speaker 5: The creators of Buffalo Casino Gaming is bringing you Cowboys theme casino games developed by Aristocrat Find America's team on and Off the Reels now and a casino near you. Do you have a gambling problem, please contact one eight hundred Gambler for twenty one and over.
Speaker 2: Excellent, sir, Thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Heck Ma Harrison is Player's Lounge brought to you by a desocrat gaming Barry Church Safeties.
Speaker 2: Here, I'm new he scruggs.
Speaker 4: Let us dive into the news of the day, which is too much Ydoga the Cowboys left tackle. He's gonna miss some time, tard Archer reporting he's gonna miss time into the regular season with a toe injury here, So that means Tyler Geydon come on down. The rookie out of Oklahoma took twenty one snaps against the Rams in their preseason game, and to me, I'm looking at it right now as okay, here's Tyler Guiden.
Speaker 2: Got to get him ready.
Speaker 4: Their first game is against Cleveland and Differensive player of the Year Miles Garrett and awesome Richards kid they took out of North Carolina on Day three last year. It is time for these two gentlemen to get a whole lot of reps here at left tackle.
Speaker 2: That's that's my opinion. How you looking at it, Church, I'm with you on that one.
Speaker 6: It's time. It's time for the man to go in there. And one thing I will say is when he did get those snaps, we didn't hear his name called, which is a good thing when you were talking about the offensive line, because that means he wasn't out there just getting.
Speaker 2: Holding or being ran through anything like that. Now, now it's his time.
Speaker 6: He's gonna be able to jail with those Number one crew and see what they got because we've seen through these past couple of years. Like you always say this, the season is long. The season is long, so you're gonna need as much depth as possible. So for these two young gentlemen to get in there and get as many reps as possible, it's just increasing that fluidity that they're going to have through that offensive line. So for me, I think, you know, hopefully I Dooga gets healthy. Well, you know, we never want to see anybody go down, but I think it's time for Gutting to go in there and solidify.
Speaker 2: His position at that left tackle.
Speaker 5: Look, man, that left tackle position is so vital to the success of everything that you do on offense. And I appreciate the way that the coaching staff, the scouts, everybody's looking at this and bringing this guy along slowly. Yeah, and my little alarm that he doesn't start the game, Yeah, I am, But I do think that these joint practices are going to be very good for him and his development. But my thing is, if he ain't there, he ain't there, right, how long are we going to keep this project going Because we're not gonna put Dak in harm's way with a left tackle that is missing reaching and we've already gone through with this what this whole schedule is about, all right?
Speaker 11: And so.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, there are there are some things that I think, especially coming up to the Saturday game with the Chumidoga injury. Are they going to start him? How much is he going to play? How much are we going to get to see? We haven't seen those little bits and reels that the Cowboy media department always flits out there. Oh guys, why is that missing? I think he's missing for a reason.
Speaker 2: So let's see what that reason is.
Speaker 13: What to do?
Speaker 2: I have a question? What you got? What's your plan? B give me? Heck ma Harrison playing B Well, my players, guy can't go or if he just ain't got it, you can't get it. If you got it, but what you got?
Speaker 13: You know?
Speaker 5: I think you know, Church alluded to this last week we were talking about Tyler Smith. You know, we were talking about Tyler Smith and realizing that you do have that bargainship there, You do have a player that you recognize, even with like Zach Barton a little while ago. You look, you're not going to start the season with a guy that's gonna put you in any danger. And so when I came away from the game and just watching completely the offensive line, you know, I go back to my guy, Cooper Cooper bb EMA all day.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 5: You have a guy that you can bump out to the left guard position and also play Tyler Smith at the left tackle. Now, that's that's breaking the glass, hitting the red button. That's I just say that, I did you. I haven't said that, Yeah, yeah, no doubt, no doubt. But you have a guy that you recognize right now that Look, he's got some developing to do, and these next couple of weeks are gonna be crucial for him. And if they they're gonna be putting him out on an island. And if they can't trust him, no, you don't do that. If you can't put him out there on an island and man.
Speaker 2: But literally, okay, so it's awesome Richards. You know you can't put him out against Miles Garrett.
Speaker 4: You put nobody in their right minds in this league is gonna put somebody out on the island with with Miles Garrett. Unless you your boy out of San Francisco. There's not very many people who can go there one on one with him.
Speaker 5: You're gonna have to get on any offenses that are going to, you know, weld a tight end to the end of their left tackle. Either that's gonna handicap your entire offense. You're gonna go quick, You're gonna run at him, You're gonna you're gonna try and maneuver as much as you possibly can, but you just kill. If that's what you do, then you're limiting everything you do. If you have to play twelve, if you have to play twelve, if that's not what your system is. We're not gonna change our system for one guy. We're gonna believe that we can continue to run our system, but we're not gonna pu Dak in a position where he's sitting back there through on him on an island by himself in past pro That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Do you don't want no, Chaz Green episode is you don't want that? No, I don't want any of that. All right, this is all this is our worst case scenario.
Speaker 4: Throw a tight end out here, I'll throw I'll put hundred liftkeys, my fool, but I'll put them out there to make a rookie.
Speaker 2: Left tackle against against Miles Garrett cannot be out here left one on one, trust him. I completely agree on it's gonna be in eighty six sixty is gonna be that's gonna be right.
Speaker 5: What I'm saying is that's gonna limit. That's gonna be limit so much of your office by doing it. But look that, and I agree with what you said. It is you can bring a hundred lifty and chip on a guy like Miles Garrett. You gotta do every You gotta throw the kitchen sink at him. Oh and by the way, he's got some other guys up front that can get there too. So I'm I'm just saying that as much as we're talking about Miles Garrett, there's still other threats to go with, you know, a Schwartz defense.
Speaker 4: Sure, sure, but I'm at least making sure that threat doesn't get to me because I know he'll. I know he'll take a game record, right, he'll tear it up. I mean, if you don't, then Dak, ain't you know you I got four receiver. Dak can't go see notnhe because look it might be like that anyway. Fine, but I'll throw school Maker. School Maker. You you sit up here with guiding you two together. I will I will sacrifice a receiver in a route to make sure I got a tight end sitting up there with Guidon, to make sure we can slow down Miles geartt Yes, Swartz can do some other blitzes and loop other guys. That's fine, But I'm not about to leave Miles Garrett one on one, no more than I'm leaving Michael Parsons one on one or JJ Why.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's certain guys in this league. You leave one on one, you ask him for a problem.
Speaker 5: I completely got I got you on that. I agree with you to a certain extent. That's all so to a certain degree.
Speaker 4: I just I just see the Chazz Chaz Green then bringing Byron Bell still leaving the.
Speaker 2: Dude ugly to the game.
Speaker 4: I go to Tyrants, said Tyrant, I mean as a practice, I why why do that?
Speaker 2: Okay? I got when they did it, when Tyrone was out there one on one, but I was like, they're not you.
Speaker 4: He's like, that's just what we do, and to me, that's the coaching mount feast the end of the day.
Speaker 2: Chances.
Speaker 4: Okay, we're talking about Tyron Smith while he's playing for the Jets this year. You look at the band's resume. Is it is a Hall of fame conversation resume that they should be having in King. I don't know if he gets in, but his name, his candidacy should be discussed in the room and the ability in this league for a guy like that to hey, man, we can leave him out there one on one, you know, if it's Tyring, if it's old Tyrannt Smith not Tying. Now, hey, he can go out here and handle my Miles Garet one on one and ju he could do that. These other guys haven't done it. And for a guy like Geydon and heck, you notice he's playing right absolutely now you're going left.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So now, I mean, and I that's a difference.
Speaker 4: I don't want to be gross about it, but one lineman said, it's like trying to take a different hand that you normally wipe yourself with and go with the other.
Speaker 2: It's a difference if you going to the left versus you're using it right. It's a difference.
Speaker 4: And so you're already asking him to make a change, and that it's a big change. That's something we're gonna help you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I'm just saying game planning right now. I'm sure that Mike McCarthy and his staff is already game planning for that Cleveland game. And if it's with their rookie left tackle, then that brings a whole nother dynamic to it because of the matchup.
Speaker 2: Matchup.
Speaker 5: I'm only relating this to my experience when Terrence Steel started at right tackle, because you know, he wasn't the strongest, wasn't the fastest, got beat, he was off balance a lot, you know, and how they tried to help him with tight ends and stuff and chipping on guys going out that way. They just couldn't just completely send the guy over there help him for the entire game. There's just That's all I'm saying. And I think he's gonna be a liability no matter what. I just want to know, and I think we all want to know how confident we can be in him going into Week one. Right now, it's the great unknown. We haven't seen it. We're seeing it wrong. Between twenty snaps, that's none at all. And so that proof consistency, we have none of it, all right, you don't. And so not only that now, it even goes further than that from Cleveland to New Orleans to Baltimore. I mean he has the kitchen sinks being thrown at him at the beginning stealers. Absolutely, So it is a trial by fire. Who is going to be in that fire? Is it gonna be your rookie? Because I think in one hand, this coaching chaff isn't going to throw him to the wolves as if he's not ready because of what you just said, he's going from right to left the learning curve is if he isn't taking on that learning curve gracefully, and we need to give this guy rich I.
Speaker 2: Mean it's gonna be if he has a red shirt year. Oh lo, there's gonna be a lot of articles written on that.
Speaker 4: So this joint practice against the Rams is going to be huge for guiding and awesome Richards as you start to see, hey, hey, hey guys, we need you to start to come forward and make these advances. And this is this is where your coaching staff really has to come in with flying colors of Okay, we've got three guys that we have to get ready at left tackle, Guidon, Richards and Smith to figure out what are the combination is going to be not just you know for that we know injuries happen too, so so you've got to have these three guys get ready to go. I know Barry hates pro football focused numbers.
Speaker 2: Come on, here us with it. Hit us. I see that.
Speaker 13: You want.
Speaker 4: Well, I tell you what pro football focus like this is where you lose people. The way the coaching staff is not looking at this and saying here's a solution.
Speaker 2: This is high grated cowboys, wasn't it? It was a man?
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, which which goes back to with the scouts toys, like they don't know what it is that we're looking for what we're asking you guys, so they're just going off wace of what they see. All right, let's get our second break in here. And boy, I feel like I just brought the house down.
Speaker 2: You did a little bit. You did a little bit. You want to talk about the defense and inter anything like that. We're dealing truth, right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: If we go dealing truth, must be able to tell it, take it and live it. So we would do that next. And yes, there were four interceptions. There were should have been five possible was giving it away like Thanksgiving dinner?
Speaker 8: All right? He is?
Speaker 4: He Marrison's very church on New Scrutch Players Lounge About to You virst on Dallas Cowboy dot com radio.
Speaker 14: To kick off the twenty twenty three NFL season, Hugo Boss teamed up with the NFL and Micah Parsons to launch an iconic apparel collection featuring hoodies, crews, T shirts, polos, joggers, and more. The bold, unique apparel of the Boss NFL collection unites football and fashion while reflecting what it truly means to be a boss. Get yours today at NFL shop dot com, slash Hugo Boss, at Hugo Boss dot com and at Boss retail stores hashtag be your own Boss.
Speaker 13: I'm Cowboys alumni Danny mccraig here with Smoothie King, asking what's that sound. That's the sound of me sipping one of their Powerpacksmoothies with over ten grams of ProTeam with real fruits and organic veggies.
Speaker 2: Because they's Smoothie King, What you see is what you sip.
Speaker 13: So grab a delicious Smoothie King Smoothie, throw a straw in your job and gets sipping real Smoothie King, the official smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 10: Hey their Cowboys Nation. Kyle Yeoman's here sharing that same team that brought you Buffalo. Bringing NFL casino games that show America's team on and off the reels, Aristocrat is changing the game with a new experience football. This means you can pick your team and play your team. Check out the Cowboys themed casino games developed by Aristocrat, A Brown sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Gambling problem Please contact the US National Problem Gambling Helpline at one eight hundred Gambler that's one eight hundred gam b l e R for twenty one over.
Speaker 12: Raising Canes presents the other rules of football. Rule one, any broadcast without the express edition of cook to order Cane's Chicken fingers is prohibited. Rule twelve no crinkle cut fries, Texas toast or cravable cane sauce constitutes an illegal formation. And Rule thirty one anybody who loves to feed their game face is an eligible receiver of canes when it comes to winning game day Caines rules Raising Canes Chicken Fingers one love go Cowboys.
Speaker 2: To the players.
Speaker 5: Loune watch your Dallas Cowboys practice as part of training camp presented by American now Lines today and tomorrow in Oxnard, California. Don't miss the scrimmage with the Los Angeles Rams on Wednesday from eleven am to one pm.
Speaker 2: Admission is free.
Speaker 5: Visit Dallas Cowboys dot com Slash Training Camp for all of your upcoming practice dates.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Heckma Harrison. Before we go to defense, We go to defense. Now, it's okay that cowboy run game.
Speaker 2: Brother, Ugh, my brother showed up.
Speaker 4: Brotherlik David carries eighteen yards.
Speaker 2: That's averaged two point three. We go Downald three.
Speaker 4: He carries fourteen yards average four point seven and no carries for l Bookie Hunter Lipke.
Speaker 2: You know I was looking for and I was looking for the sweet feet up.
Speaker 4: Man, I'm just assuming that Mike's got some big plans and he's like, I'm not gonna bay listen to preseason, keep it under wraps, and then could cleanly catch him.
Speaker 2: Pa Schwartz will be like, oh my god, oh my god. I can think. Mike was like, man, so yeah, don't even say anything. He We're just talking about talking about your defense. Don't say no. Can I talk about the defense?
Speaker 13: Now?
Speaker 2: The game man say his name, Al Harris.
Speaker 5: Say his name. Look, I know Mike, Mike is gonna get a lot of credit if this defense is successful. But I think just the overall conscious of this defense is Al Harris. And you can see it on the sideline. You can see his interaction with players. It was number thirty seven Eric Scott. He made the area like the what was it out of back? Yeah, he pushed the guy abound and you can tell just his interaction with coach Harris. You could you know, the trust between them, but also sending that guy back in and then you saw what happened, you know after that, So you know, I really I really loved that he was able to stay on the staff after dan Quinn left. And I really think he's a big part of the success that we're having with these guys that are are ballhawks, because look, Al Harris was him when he played, and I think it resonates with these players having a coach that not only knows what he's talking about, but a guy that did it and did it at a high level and the guy that you could buy into and trust. Yeah when it comes to this defense, and you know, I want you one hundred percent on on Harris.
Speaker 6: I mean, you know a lot of guys that I played with said he was you know, basically that guy when you talk about press technique like he guys went to him. You know, Ramsey went to him. Boy ya, those guys went to him to get his teachings when you talk about press cover. So he's an amazing defensive back coach. And you can tell that secondary just kind of kind of flows like he does. They got to swagger like he does out there on the field. You love to see that from your secondary. To me, you know what really kind of popped out on tape to me was one was Overshawn. You saw that speed. I mean, he he popped off the tape.
Speaker 2: He was flying.
Speaker 6: Everywhere off of that field, and you love to see that From the linebacker position. I like to see a little bit more out of Clark. You know, he had a limited snap, so I would have liked to see, you know, a little bit more from him out there.
Speaker 2: But overshan was flying.
Speaker 6: You like to see what Bell had back at that safety spot, and he showed up. I mean, player of the game, eight tackles and an interception. About that, I got to ask you about that.
Speaker 5: It's just obviously you being a safety that played at the line of scrimmage a lot, but also a guy that played in coverage. How difficult that is from him for him being that he was a linebacker now being that far off the ball and what that does to him.
Speaker 2: And his technique. Oh it was.
Speaker 6: It had to be extremely tough for him because for me, you know, I was down there a lot, but I was also back, you know when it came to third down. I was able to play half of the field. Last year, I mean, he was down there in the in the box pretty much the entirest year. So for him to make that transition, you see things different because it happens slower the further you are back from the ball, so you can't just bite up on everything you see it run you're thinking, oh, I'm a line I get down hill and they'll hit you with that player go.
Speaker 2: Over the top.
Speaker 6: So I liked what I saw from him being able to play that deep path of the field coming downhill. We know he's gonna be great and run support, but I loved it. You know, the athletic ability. Had the interception out there. Uh so he's shown some promise. He's shown some promise that he can't play that safety level because we know when it comes to Zimmer's defense, he likes those too high, and if you can't play high as a safety, you're not gonna be able to play in Zimmer's defense. So I like what I saw from him and the second round pick Kneeland. I mean, he he stuck up to a couple of blocks out there. He didn't like he was ripping off, but he kind of reminded me of of Tyrone Crawford a little bit. A guy that has an unbelievable motor. Might not be the most athletic guy out there, but he has an unbelievable motor.
Speaker 2: And you saw it.
Speaker 6: He was able to drive a lot of those blocks back into the run game. He was always on the pile. So those guys pretty much impressed me when it came to this defense. But I mean, you can't scoff at fourth, fourth takeaways. You can't scoff at it, man. I love that comp for Kneeland. If it's Crawford solid play for a very long time, you know, versatile can play all throughout the line. You know, I saw a lot of Crawford of him out there.
Speaker 5: And I think obviously we watched Mazzi, right, we had our eyes on Maji, and I think I saw some bright spots from Mozzi. I saw Mozi get up to field, see saw push. I saw some push, but I also saw him take on blocks and not get pushed to the safeties.
Speaker 13: You know.
Speaker 5: I saw him kind of ground himself, anchor himself. But then in true Mozzi fashion, it's like, oh, okay, you know that that's a little off, you know, But I think he's a guy that if you can get his best in rotation. I've seen coaches do that, get guys to be able to do what you know that they can do best, and then get another guy to come in right behind him. I saw some of the guys, big Carl Davis, he had some good reps, and then our seventh round draft pick also had some good reps at the one technique as well, Chauncey Golston.
Speaker 2: They move him around a lot.
Speaker 5: I saw him out at the defensive end position, where I thought he was going to be more of a three tech than you know, on on the edge. And I think maybe through Sam Williams injury, that their experience that's you know, giving him uh that opportunity. But up front, that was all I was looking. I was wanting to see how this defensive line flowed if they were able to put any pressure on. Look, it's gonna be the tremendous challenge to this defensive line is stopping to run. You know it, I know it, and these guys are going to be They're gonna have to be able to tackle and stop the run.
Speaker 4: I want to see more of Hoko and Golston playing out and playing out the defensive end. So this practice coming up with the Rams and against the Raiders, I'd like to see that to see exactly where where some of that goes here, Mazzie Smith. Look, at the end of the day, is the word trust. At what point in time can we feel like you can trust Mazzie Smith? And trust requires three things. Time, proofing, consistency. So game one, okay, you know if pass fail, he passed for just doing a past fail grade he passed, do it again, do it again against the Rams and a joint practice, do it again against the Raiders. And That's where I'm at with Mozzie Smith. You have to show me consistently that you can do this to be the player that that they've asked for. I mean, we're sitting here.
Speaker 2: For being honest with ourselves. We're sitting around here trying.
Speaker 4: To nicely judge a guy who's a first round pick. We should be expecting more from him.
Speaker 2: I know it's year two.
Speaker 4: Year one wasn't going there, so he's trying to go down the road. But dude, if this team is going to be a playoff team, he must be an active participant in them stopping the run. He has to be because right now they have to show us behind doing Number two.
Speaker 5: Doesn't look like there's anybody now. It's a what do you always say, do or don't do? There's no try, try, and that's and that's where he is. I don't think there's a there's nobody that's, you know, giving Mazi a soft landing on where he is.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's heard the criticism.
Speaker 5: People are own him because of where he's been drafted, and that's how I feel the same way about guiding not to switch over to him. But I'm just saying like he's going to be judged according to where he was picked. This defensive line, as you just stated, Man, they are gonna have to stop the run. This has been the Achilles Hill forever. They have to get stops. Linebacker wise, Leah Fowl another guy that I was watching didn't really.
Speaker 2: Get out of it more. Yeah, yeah, I thought I would get more out of him.
Speaker 5: They had some other guys, number fifty seven, Uh, Buddy Johnson from Kimball High School, a local product, you know, boy, you know, getting an opportunity to get out there. Look, I just wanted to see this, these linebackers flowing, uh and getting downhill and getting tackles. One of the things that I do feel really confident in is our safeties. I mean, for a long time the Dallas Cowboys couldn't find the safety. And now you know we got guys like one year Thomas that's back there. I mean, now you know what I'm saying with Bell, we have some We have some guys that can really play.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't say they couldn't find I would say they didn't put a value in. They found church, but then they didn't want to pay.
Speaker 2: They didn't want to pay them, so they didn't find the value that could get my brain. I think we look at like but like we Wilson, you know, look, we're gonna pay you.
Speaker 4: Somebody got to Jerry and Steven and say, look, man, you got you gotta write some checks. You got to put a couple of zeros here in the safetyes. Fine because especially with the slot receiver, like the league is changing here. Because there's a while when he wouldn't pay me the linebackers. That was this THCINGD, we don't pay me to the linebackers. That's when he let Kenny Norton go and then you saw Ken goes to San Francisco and wins the Super Bowl there. So along the way, it's been very interesting how they have changed philosophies and when they decided to actually put some money into.
Speaker 2: The safeties and value it now.
Speaker 4: I think you said, you see what you're getting out of this bell coming out of Florida, A and M. They gave him a lot of money as a free agent, right so we spent that first year as a swack player adjusting to the league. Last year kind of had to play out of position. And right now I think we're seeing everything he had to do last year playing out a position linebacker now going back to safety and have an experience. You're seeing like, man, this is a good football player. So they invested in the player.
Speaker 2: They put in the time. I just don't think they did that before.
Speaker 5: We take that's you know, maybe that's the part of Will mcclay's brilliance is his ability to identify this position. You see it now with guys like land as well. Uh we I mean I know for sure, like the Simmons that was in Denver, I was crying a guy like that because you need it. I mean, after you have look at the NFL for so long and you see those safeties that are just game changes, game rerecords, guys that can get interceptions, And now I'm looking around and I'm like Malik Hooker Wilson, Now you have ball guys that are pushing for a position. How do you how do you keep players that are showing you that kind of promise off the field. So, I mean we went from not having none to some a bunch and so I'm loving what I'm saying in the secondary.
Speaker 2: Is it let me ask you a quick question to get back to the second level.
Speaker 3: Is it.
Speaker 6: Is it a lock that Clark and Kendrick is gonna be those two, those two linebackers, And I think Kendricks for sure.
Speaker 2: But the trust trust fact right now, what do you what are you gonna do? Is gonna go with the people he trust?
Speaker 13: Trust?
Speaker 5: Look I'm look, here's I think Overshawan makes this. He makes an interesting case. He's going to be one of those guys that you have to He's gonna have to be on the field. He's going to be in their rotation and packages. I need to see more out of Clark. You know, DeMont Clark had a bad season last season, and we had a bunch of tape in highlights to prove it. And so, like we were talking about the defensive line and stopping the run. That's why you bring in the Kendris because you know, his one thing that you know he could do is get downhill and get tackles, and so we have to be able to present that that kind of pressure at the second level. But right now, I mean, without knowing a whole lot about Overshawn out of Texas, you know, and then him getting injured in that preseason game, he really is just one of those players that I'm like, man, this dude is just got juice with him and that kind of quickness, that kind of explosion.
Speaker 6: He's a little undersized, but he reminds me of the guy from from Cleveland, number six flyingbacker. I pushed his last Yeah, but I think he could be that type of player on KOC or something.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a beast.
Speaker 5: I believe he was out of note I don't know. Yeah, but he's just one of those guys that can tackle. But it's just a high motor guy and it's gonna be flying all over the field.
Speaker 2: I like him. I like him a lot. I just you know, look, Clark, it's a lot of guys got pressure on him right now.
Speaker 8: So this is good.
Speaker 2: Yes, that is This is a.
Speaker 4: Good thing because we've seen too many times when they run out there and there was no competition, and then when it came to the competition they were playing against it a slap run over. So this is a good thing. All right, let's do it again in two days. Harrison, I'll be appreciate you ate appreciate you have new scrugs. And for Jazz, Josh, everybody who's the part of this. Chris Bean, we thank you. This has been a play. I was talking about Aristocrat gaming on Dallas Cowboys dot Com radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football clubby