Speaker 1: Pitchers are thrown harder than ever. They're chasing strikeouts, so I think that with how the game is going, we might not be seeing many complete games.
Speaker 2: First half grades, we're at the mid season mark. Let's cover the National League. We did the American League already, and if you want to check that out, you know where to find it on our YouTube channel. But for the National league grades, we'll go from the a's down to the f's. So let's start with who received an A. And what I want you guys to do is just either give some praise or disagree, agree whatever you want. Slice through these grades, which we're put together by CBS Sports in an article. The Cubs get an A, the Dodgers get an A, the Brewers get an A, the Phillies grab an A, the San Francisco Giants get an A. They were very very gracious with their a's. And then there's one ANUS to the New York Mets. Anything you definitely like or don't like there, I mean, I got.
Speaker 3: The standings up in front of me that I'm looking at too. Just to kind of go off with some like that, that kind of seems pretty pretty straight.
Speaker 4: Really, Like Milwaukee gets an A.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean that's good, but like what.
Speaker 3: I might move the Mets up to a straight A. They got the ten agree with that degrees? There should be no minus on that one. I think Milwaukee, maybe you switch those, maybe you get the minus on the Milwaukee side.
Speaker 2: Then yeah, yeah, Like I thought Milwaukee was gonna be good, and they are good, but they're not blowing the National League Central away. And I know the Cubs obviously have been playing ball, so for me put them more in the B range. I know your boy Murph, your old coach, Pat Murphy, would put them in the B range. He's been a little grumpier with the boys this year. He's expecting more after his first year went so swimmingly. Maybe I'm being hard on the Brewers. I thought I picked the Brewers to win the division. Obviously, the Cubs have been a jugger and I didn't see Pete crow Armstrong coming. I thought those two would be going at it for the division. So I just I think for the Brewers, based on what they've done for years, roster didn't change that much. That's a bee for me in terms of their first half.
Speaker 6: I don't hate it, Okay, And then.
Speaker 4: You want to move to the Bees.
Speaker 5: I mean San Diego and San Franz are not that too far apart, Like I don't know, I know, I felt.
Speaker 4: Like, but this has to do with expectations.
Speaker 2: So these grades are given out based on what they thought teams were going to do right and what public perception was, and then how it performed for people that they're like, oh, I didn't. A lot of people had the Giants as the fourth best team in the National League West, and they've certainly exceeded expectations. Got to give the front office credit for devers. So here's the Bees, the Padres got to be the Red's got to be minus, and the Saint Louis Cardinals get to be plus.
Speaker 5: See.
Speaker 2: Actually, for me, you would move the Reds up.
Speaker 5: I would move the Reds down.
Speaker 4: I would move them down.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Maybe, I guess I just had lower expectations off the jump for them.
Speaker 6: That could be it.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, that's one hundred percent. If it was expectations for the Reds. A lot of people are choosing them to win the division. They're what six, I got it right here, there's six and.
Speaker 4: A half and they're like five hundred, right, Yeah, they're two and.
Speaker 5: A half out of the wild Card. They're forty two and thirty nine. I yeah, I would say plus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going C for the Reds. How about for me the Cardinals getting a B plus C. I think that's a team that deserved to be in the A's because most people thought the Cardinals were gonna suck this year, and they do not suck.
Speaker 5: You're right, They're only one game out of the Wildcard too, So.
Speaker 2: If we're giving San Francisco an a right, there's a little bit of gracious grading here. The Cardinals were supposed to be worse than the Giants according to many.
Speaker 4: The Cardinals are.
Speaker 2: In the thick of it, so I know they took a step back since their hot start, but they're still in the thick of a wild card race. I would throw an A their way.
Speaker 3: I feel like this is the kind of Cardinals team they were expecting out of them last year. That's why I was such a letdown last year for them.
Speaker 2: Right, and then they keep the same roster, they roll it out again this year and it's much better. I mean, obviously, you know when you're plugging in computer models, and last year didn't go well. They dinged them and brought them down a notch. But there's guys who took another step forward. So there's your list on the a's and the b's, and let's start to get to the crap. So here's here's your c's, okay, and one team for me stands out in this greer.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: So the Diamondbacks get a C minus, the Nationals get a C minus, the Marlins get a C minus.
Speaker 5: They all should be lower.
Speaker 4: They all should be lower.
Speaker 2: The Backs are in the wildcard race and they don't have half their pitching staff anymore.
Speaker 5: The Diamondbacks are three games out but a wildcard. I don't think they're making it. I don't think I know, But we're not talking about expectations. The expectations. They should be one of the top right in that division. You're right, I would give them. I would give the Nationals struggle bus, Miami struggle bus. I see them all as a D.
Speaker 2: But you you thought the Marlins were going to be bad, and they're bad, but they're not as bad. So maybe that that I mean, that's how they explain they're grading.
Speaker 5: They're twelve and a half out of a wildcard, eleven games under five no wildcard, no they are excuse me, they are nine and a half pretty much the same.
Speaker 2: Right, so to me that I mean you C minus. I can see the Nationals were supposed to be a little bit better than this and they're in a similar spot.
Speaker 5: No, yeah, no, they're they're right, they're right there too. The Nationals are eleven and a half games out, so they're actually behind that.
Speaker 4: That's a D for me.
Speaker 5: All three D.
Speaker 3: This is off expectations.
Speaker 2: Yes, like what you thought of these teams going into the season, Like, I'll give you the perfect example.
Speaker 4: Right, right to be a sports stop.
Speaker 2: But Kip, yesterday when we did the A L, the White Sox got like a B or a B minus because they were, like we thought you get rid of Crochet. They might be even worse and they're bad, but they're not the worst team ever.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm gonna say. Where it's like it's Colorado and Pittsburgh like seized because they're exactly where we thought they might be. Kind of.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're right, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, okay, so so do you have any problems though? Arizona, Washington, Miami And then I'll get to the three f's here.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm Todd a little bit. I think Arizona could be almost indeed, just because you have such high hopes coming off as a World Series last.
Speaker 4: Year two years ago.
Speaker 2: But yees, I mean last year though eighty nine wins the actually yeah, yeah, they had Corbyn Burns, but here's.
Speaker 5: The the ian tying the Diamondbacks.
Speaker 4: I'm just I'm just saying. I mean, I guess factor I had him going, yeah, I'm screwed.
Speaker 2: But Burns get for Justin Martinez lafter the year. I mean, they've lost half their staff, but you know, it's fair like Gallon is not Gallon for the first half of the season, so there's some of that going on with the pitching staff. Ftfan, did you know that huel has sold over five hundred million meals around the world and now it is your turn to try it?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 7: I drink it Thrik of Scott, so I can discuss huele on how I love it. I had some for breakfast this morning. I like to drink it post workout because of the protein included in it. It always tastes delicious, whether it's strawberry, banana, chocolate, vanilla, whatever the flavor is, it tastes like a dessert.
Speaker 3: Honestly, it should not taste as good as it does.
Speaker 4: I agree.
Speaker 2: New customers get fifteen percent off plus a free gift at Heuel dot com when you use the FT code that is foul foul at huel dot com slash foul. Don't miss out. Try Huel today for a perfectly balanced meal. If you miss a meal, if you're looking for a little protein boost. You just saw me drink the black addition. Ready to drink. There's the vanilla flavor. I love what the chocolate brings to the table. It's really damn good, So give it a shot. FT fan fifteen percent off plus a free gift for new customers with the code foul.
Speaker 4: All right, So here's your.
Speaker 5: F's chef employed with the Mets.
Speaker 4: And that might happen. He loves that trade might happen.
Speaker 2: Uh, here's your f's ready Atlanta, Colorado, Pittsburgh. So kipt for me, like Pittsburgh getting an F. I thought they were gonna suck, and they suck.
Speaker 3: That's what that's my case. That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: I get.
Speaker 3: I get Atlanta because you had such lofty expectations. Why they're done.
Speaker 5: You have Colorado and A because they're supposed to be bad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but they're gonna be They might be the worst team ever.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but they didn't expect to do good either, so they my expectations of them has do bad. So they should get an eight plus. They should be the highest one, you know, if we're going by that.
Speaker 2: But that's right, they're living up to expectations. They're exceeding expectations in terms of how bad they are.
Speaker 5: You've been one hundred and one?
Speaker 4: Yes, what about the other two?
Speaker 5: Atlanta F because where they're supposed to be and Pittsburgh should be in the middle of the packs C minus. Yeah.
Speaker 2: See, there you go. That's a big, great difference. Though they're getting an F. I was gonna say either a D or nobody's I mean not nobody, but most people aren't expected. Paul Skeins doesn't pitch every day, No, he does not.
Speaker 3: And yeah, you just need a team to try every day too, and they don't even have that.
Speaker 6: It looks like.
Speaker 3: I could be singling out with a person, but you guys know what I'm talking about. But it's just that that's a that's just an organization that needs a complete makeover.
Speaker 2: How would you feel if you've been on a team, Kip for five six years that has not been competitive the entire time period, doesn't it start to like become the norm where you're showing up to work in a different way if that makes sense. Obviously you want you're playing for your stats and for your contract and for your quote for your team. But it's not sufficient roster. It's been like that for a long time now, and there's no buying from the front office.
Speaker 3: You're gonna start to want out of that organization. But even before then, you're gonna want to like put your foot down and be like enough is enough? Can we do something about this? As the people who are here like this isn't good enough? Can someone like you got to step up and just be like this is not good enough guys and go from there. But yeah, it's all all roads and to you want to know that organization. If you don't see change for five six years, will you've been there.
Speaker 5: And there's two things that you can muster up and do well. One one, you can muster up you can look yourself in the mirror and say, hey, I got to play for myself here. Every once in a while, I gotta come out and try and do my best, not worry about what everybody else is doing or can't wait till football season comes, fantasy football the off season. Like there's two jurstic things you can do. You know, how long do you want to play this game for? Because I'll just find somebody else if you're not going to push it to the envelope and get after you know, whether it's a ground ball, pop fly, you know, all little things. Just just give effort. You know, it doesn't mean you got to go one hundred percent, but just give some effort.
Speaker 2: Yeah, trying to see any there's your your finalist of grades here and trying to see if we've got anybody on here that that heavily disagrees or agrees. Boo in the chat said DBAC should be second. Yeah, D plus they said, ISN'TD plus not an actual grade? Isn't it just D n F?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: That's is that how it works?
Speaker 5: I don't know, Yeah, I think it is.
Speaker 6: No students, Like Michael.
Speaker 5: Came back, I said, come on, frase, Ben Rice says no business in the all. That's a different time, John, Michael, you talk a lot of Yankees on there. Brother, I love you, but I have to strongly disagree with you. He needs either to be a reserve for sure. I don't have all the numbers in front of me, but i've I've seen with my eye.
Speaker 4: Here's Vince said cards seven games over five hundred elite.
Speaker 2: No but deaf uh not the twenty twenty three cards or twenty four is probably what he means. So yeah, I'm with you there. I think I think they deserve an A. I'm big on that one, all right. So if you disagree with anything, or you agree with anything from either what CBS put out or what we put out there, let us know. Thank you very much. And apparently oh D plus n D minus our grades F minus never not quite Okay, great, there're three best students here on a Friday. Hey, we've got Spencer schwellenback joining us from the Braves right now. I think second time. I think joined us last year on ft SUS. Spencer's back. Spencer, Great to see you. How's your sophomore season going, Man.
Speaker 6: It's going good. Thanks for having me on guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, of course.
Speaker 2: Now I have to start here just because we're fresh off this series and I'm from the area. So as Todd father, did you know that you're the nicest, most hated player for Mets fans.
Speaker 6: I did not know that.
Speaker 4: You know why though? Yeah, tell everyone what do you got?
Speaker 2: What do you got on the Mets that you just absolutely carve him up?
Speaker 1: And I don't know, it's like like pitching against good teams and like like pitching against good players. So it's fun pitching against that team.
Speaker 5: I want to ask, Yeah, that's funny. You know you think in New York queens like you are the nice one of the nicer guys. You know, you don't talk smack, You just get after you've been having a really good season. What do you what do you attest that too? Is there some is there like a mentor there? You know guys that you know that are taking you by the wings, Like who's a guy right now that you talk to after a game before a game and try and get either that mental approach ready or that grind like all right, this is what I need to do. Let's let's have a chat.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I mean, first guy that comes to mind is Chris Sale.
Speaker 1: I mean he's he's done it for a long time at a really high level, and you know, he's been through a lot of injuries.
Speaker 6: He's he said, a lot of success.
Speaker 1: And he's the guy that I go to with any questions, with any concerns. And then Spencer Strider has been a huge help having him back this year, just watching bullpens and picking his brain on certain things.
Speaker 6: And you know it, he.
Speaker 1: Knows a lot about the game, a lot about pitch design, pitch grips, you know how it should look. So just kind of leaning on those guys and trusting in the coaches and the catchers, and just trusting to myself as well.
Speaker 3: Did you tell Sale that it's okay to have just a little bit meat on those bones that might protect you when you lay out for a ball. Maybe an ounce of fat might give you a little cushions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can't pull fat. I think he might be starting. Yeah, he's scared he's gonna lose the Gold Glove this year, so he's trying to make up for it by diving foot balls.
Speaker 3: When he's so he's on the eel. Now, who have you thought, Because you've got some great pitchers to pick from, and you kind of just hint it on it a little bit. So who have you been learning the most from? Who have you been taking the most from on how to approach pitching this year and your second year round. Yeah, so just leaning on Rick Kranitz pitching coach.
Speaker 1: He's you know, old school, but there's a lot to learn with that.
Speaker 6: You know, I grew up in today's game.
Speaker 1: You have a lot of a lot of metrics and track man data, and sometimes you kind of overlook what it's like to actually pitch. And he's one of the best in the game at at understanding swings, understanding certain counts, hitters, and he's he's helped me a lot with that, and then going on with other pitchers like Pierce Johnson's got one of the best curveballs I've ever seen, just talking to him about different release points and Grant Holmes, he's he's a when you look at his slider, his curveball he's got. He spins the ball with the best of them as well. So when I'm when I'm in going wrong with the slider, when the slider's not moving right, those are some of the guys that you know I talked to with that.
Speaker 5: I want to bring up a little bit. Ten games out of the NL East. You know it wasn't the start. You guys wanted. Ronald Kuna has been absolutely dominant. You see this team making a run here, or do you see this team you know, trade deadline coming up? Do you hear anything about what's going on with the Braves you think a trader too? Or how you feeling about the squad right now?
Speaker 6: I mean, we trust in each and every one of us.
Speaker 1: We know that we got a team that can get it done and it's just just a matter of time.
Speaker 2: Spencer, the All Star Games coming up, obviously it's in Atlanta, and speaking of Akunya, he's going to be doing the derby there, which is cool. I know most guys are not are going to be folks on the season, but this is your sophomore season. How special would it be to get there because you know, probably for the rest of your career and I'm gonna have another Atlanta All Star hosting situation like this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it would definitely be special, and it being in Atlanta, I'd be a really good one to be in. But like you said, I mean, we got a lot of games left before the All Star break and we're trying to win some games, get back to five hundred, to get a set up to have a good second half.
Speaker 5: I want to switch gears here just for a second. Saw you from Saginaw, Michigan. Was hockey ever something big for you out there? Because I know in that Midwest area there's some good hockey out there. Talk to me a little about if not, what are some activities you like doing besides that?
Speaker 1: So I never competitively played hockey, but every winner, the pond would freeze, and me and all my friends would go out with the two nets and ten of us would go play on the frozen pond.
Speaker 6: So that was a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: But both my parents were basketball players, so that was kind of during the same season, so I never got to play hockey. But other than that, love every sport pick a ball, tennis, golf, basketball, football, soccer, you know, literally anything that it has a ball or a puck or whatever.
Speaker 6: Like playing.
Speaker 2: Well, if you're a normal human, you can't speak English to your pup. But what you can do to understand what they love, which is Spontan tango on kibble, is to see how they react when you put the unkibble in the bowl. And my pup, pinal Lope, loves it.
Speaker 4: So does Bella.
Speaker 7: Well, Bella speaks Spanish, so she says, Maybeen, I love this stuff.
Speaker 2: She says, Wow, Dad, thanks for creating a custom plan based on my age, weight, breed, and activity level.
Speaker 4: You nailed it.
Speaker 2: And also it's made with one hundred percent whole fresh ingredients like real USDA meats, fruits and veggies. But it's forty percent less expensive than frozen food. So upgrade your pets bowl with spotan Tango unkibble and for a limited time, go to spotantango dot com slash foul and use code foul for fifty percent off your first order. That's spotantango dot com slash foul, code foul to get fifty percent off your first order. Hey, so let me let me take it back to the mound here for a moment. So you had your first complete game of your career, that was what three weeks ago, June eleventh. Where do you think we're at as you're a young pitcher here with the sport, trying to let guys let it eat a little bit more again with innings pitch and I think a good example that we've been using in the past week is a team in the other league in the AL, the Rays. We're thriving right now, and they were the team kind of leading the charge at one point with openers, bullpen games, et cetera. Now they're top three in baseball and innings pitched from their starters. One other thing I wanted to throw out there is we had schemes against Misraska the other day. Everyone's watching the play sells out. So what can we do to highlight the starter more and also from a younger level, right or a lower level, allow starters to let it eat so they can do that up in the big leagues.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's a good question.
Speaker 1: It's nice seeing starting pitchers go deep into games. And you know, with with how the game has kind of changed, we're chasing strikeouts or we're chasing swing and miss, so you see less of the you know, seven eight, nine inning games. So but for me, I just like to I try to go fifteen innings or less per inning. It's kind of what the goal was in the minor leagues with the Braves, like we want to be fifteen pitches or less and that'll allow you to go deeper into games. And listen, I mean there's the pitchers are throwing harder than ever. They're you know, they're chasing strikeouts. So I think that with how the game is going, we might not be seeing many complete games, but it's nice to.
Speaker 6: It's nice to definitely go deep into games.
Speaker 2: How did the Braves work it with you when you were in the minors, Because the Braves have done a nice job of getting some starting pitchers developed that weren't always the most highly touted, right, and then all of a sudden they come up to the bigs and I'm like, this guy's ready to go and he can pitch deep into outings. They've done a better job than I would say most teams on that front. So what was it like when you were talking to them in terms of the balance of you know, not overdoing it, but also for them to let you see how it is to work into a sixth seventh inning. I doubt you went into an eighth in the miners. Did they let you go that deep?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: So yeah, So my first year in twenty twenty three, I was coming off of Tommy John, so it was like a lot of twenty five pitch outings and then thirty pitch outings.
Speaker 6: You know, So it's they did it the right way with building me up.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if I got into the seventh inning that first year at all if they only went six, But then the second year in twenty twenty four, I threw maybe into the seventh on once or twice.
Speaker 6: But they do a really good job with.
Speaker 1: Monitoring guys' arms, and I think they have a pretty strict pitch count of around eighty five pitches, and they want to see guys that you know, can maintain their ve low and command deep in games, and then they'll let you earn it after that.
Speaker 3: Besides your pitch count, then from the difference between year one and year two, what else? What other differences can you talk about that you've noticed in the game, Because usually it's you come up, you might have success hitters adjust to you, then you adjust back, So this game will always go back and forth.
Speaker 6: A little bit.
Speaker 3: That's the cat and this game. But what are some of the other big adjustments or big differences you've seen now between year and one and year two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so doing scoutering report stuff, you've got to understand that the teams are also doing a scattering report against you. But then you also want to pitch to your strengths. So it's it's kind of like you said, a cat and mouse game where you know it's it's in year two, I've understood to read swings a little bit better. Last year it was just like, Okay, this pitch is supposed to work to this guy, and if it doesn't work, now, now what are you going to do?
Speaker 5: You know, so.
Speaker 1: Understanding swings, understanding different locations and why they work, and also doing scattering reports and looking at not only hot in cold zones, but you know, seeing what the swing looks like a guy's got a flat swing, or if a guy's you know, trying to lift the ball.
Speaker 6: Just stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Now, if you have a pitch that you think is going to work against a specific guy and you go to it and he nails it, you're like, you got him to chase. Do you how often do you immediately go right back to that or do you know? Then you're like, okay, I know I've got this in my arsenal. I might save it for till two strikes or that this works against him and I you can then pick and choose when you get it, or it's like, hey, let's go with this one. It works, we're gonna keep going until it doesn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think there's a there's a time and place for to repeat the pitch, depending if it's you know, first at bat, second at bat, third at that you know you got you gotta save some stuff for you know, the third time through the lineup. So just understanding, you know, even if there's guys on base too, it's also.
Speaker 6: A different scenario there.
Speaker 1: So I mean, I've got six pitches, so it gives me a.
Speaker 6: Gives me more to work with too, that doesn't.
Speaker 2: Hey, yeah, and on on that topic, I mean, it seems like guys are able to pick up pitches quicker nowadays. I'm sure some of that has to do with the tech and the advancement on the coaching front. How have you noticed that, you know, whether it's in the miners and now up in the bigs and guys that you pitch around, where all of a sudden everyone's shown up to spring training with a new pitch and it's not just I mean, obviously sometimes they're toying with it, but it's it's often actually converting into being used in the regular season. Right Like for me, I feel like I have to do a lot more homework going into a season as a broadcaster, being like, okay, what are all of his pitches now in his pitch usage where you know, maybe go fifteen years back and it's like, oh, I know what he throws.
Speaker 4: It's the same thing his entire career.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think with all the data that we have, if you see someone spinning their fastball at a certain like on a certain access, you know that they can throw a seam shifted sinker or they can throw a cutter like. So it's like adding these pitches is easier than it sounds because you're you're ultimately just throwing the pitch the same way but with a different grip. And there's there's so many really intelligent people that that know a lot about the game, a lot about grips, release points, and you know, I think that guys are are we're kind of working harder than ever in that aspect as well.
Speaker 2: Hey, Spencer, who on the braves should we be talking more about? Obviously we know a lot of the names that are signed up for lifetime deals essentially, but who else? Who else should we be talking about this year that you know we're not talking enough about on a national level.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think Drake Baldwin should be an All Star. He doesn't get enough credit. I think he's he came into the year. Uh, he started off slow. He was crushing the ball everywhere and his his average is hitting stats they just didn't you know, it didn't show that and he stayed with it.
Speaker 6: Was has been awesome in the clubhouse. He's been awesome to throw too.
Speaker 1: And I think, you know, not only should he he be in the All Star Game, but he needs to be talked about a lot more.
Speaker 4: I like that.
Speaker 2: Well, tell us a little more about him. I don't know a lot about him. I haven't really seen him too many interviews. Like he seems a little bit quiet and hidden.
Speaker 4: So what's he like?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's he is a quiet guy. He's goofy, always has a smile on his face.
Speaker 6: Uh, he's.
Speaker 1: I threw to him a lot in in minor leagues and just to see how much better that he has gotten with receiving, blocking, pitch calling, and reading swings. It's really fantastic to watch. Really good guy.
Speaker 2: Nice well Spencer, dude, this was awesome, man, Really appreciate the time. Great to have you back on and to see you thriving again. So keep doing your thing, dude.
Speaker 6: Thanks guys,