Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Ryntrall and Anderson's squirrel Chasing Hour Hell Yeah, podcast in which the dogs Rintrall and Anderson chase squirrels, or at least make noises at squirrels in the background while we record a podcast called cool People Who did Cool Stuff. It's all very texture.
Speaker 2: It's called yea yeah, Sorry you introduce me yet.
Speaker 1: Well that's Scharene Sharen.
Speaker 3: Lanny Nis is here post him ethnically ambiguous host. It could happen here, poet, filmmaker, friend icon.
Speaker 2: I did it, but we're great. Thank you.
Speaker 3: Thank you first and foremost a friend first and foremost a friend second, second, foremost. I forgot to mention it. Mother of Bunny the cat, Mother of Bunny the cat.
Speaker 1: I have a cat. Okay, so it's the how.
Speaker 3: Does Bunny you feel about squirrels?
Speaker 2: She loves to watch. Yeah, she'll she will be the observer to the squirrel chasing listeners.
Speaker 3: I want to brag about Margaret for a second listeners. Before we started recording part one, Bunny was Bunny was being bad, and so I called Bunny bad. Bunny and Margaret knew that reference. And I just want to give credit where credits due.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not only did she know, but she knew that Bad Bunny was Porto Rican.
Speaker 3: There was there was like.
Speaker 1: There, Yeah, it's because Bad Bunny is done work with Cardi B and Cardi B supports sex workers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's a great way to know who Bad Bunny.
Speaker 3: Is and and Bad Bunny is actual. So my parents have a bunny that like an actual bunny rabbit that this is so much information that the listeners don't need. But there's a bunny that lives in their yard and my parents leave out seeds and appropriate bunny and squirrel litle and deer food for they live in the woods. And I got them to name the bunny Benito, which has been bunny's actual name, and so they but but they've now changed it to bun Eto. And that's just a little bit about why I am the way I am. Honestly that.
Speaker 2: Benito is great on its own for it bunny, honestly, I know, and it ends in an osna. Bunnies are the best. I love bunnies.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that that has been unnecessary animal talk, but also necessary animal talk.
Speaker 2: Someone out there appreciates it. I know at least one person.
Speaker 1: And everyone else has been pressing for fifteen seconds.
Speaker 4: And that's fine, okay, Sorry, No, I'll just bring up animals every like minute or so, so they'll just keep skipping, you know what I mean, Like they'll talk about stuff and then they're still talking about fucking cats.
Speaker 1: And then we can think, Yeah, like the things that we can form relationships with that aren't people that make our lives enriched. How boring is what people will say because they have no heart or soul or something. The other voice you've heard is Sophie.
Speaker 3: Oh Ship, it's me, mother of Anderson yea of podcasts, podcast podcast, friend of Benito, the Bunny.
Speaker 2: Friend of.
Speaker 1: Our audio engineering is done by Ian Hi.
Speaker 3: Ian I I the.
Speaker 2: Father of an animal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Ian, I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't think Ian has, but I feel free to put in a fun animal fact here if you're bored, and if you're not, and if you're not bored and you don't feel like putting in a fun animal fact, that's also okay.
Speaker 2: But you don't have anything, you know? We love? Ian is the point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, but you have to say hi, Ian before we can continue. We've made a rule. Everyone has all right, And our music is written for us by young woman. And this is part two of a two part series about hunger strikes, the last recourse of the desperate against their oppressors. Where we last left our heroes, the Irish Republican Army, who are a lot of people's not heroes, but are in a situation where they also feel like they have no recourse. They have just been told that they were not to be treated as prisoners of war anymore in Her Majesty's prison Maze, but instead as common criminals fed to the minotaur, even though many of them were getting picked up without charges, evidence or trial, which is a fun way to find yourself a prisoner is to not get accused of any crime.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The first inmate to protest this was a guy named Kieran Nugent. And what led him to a life of the IRA Well, maybe I'm not certain, but I think there's like one part of his past that I can think might have radicalized him. It's when he was fifteen years old standing on the street with a friend when a car stopped asked them for directions. When they started to answer, someone in the car pulled out a submachine gun and shot him eight times and killed his friend. He survived getting shot eight times as a fifteen year old, and I can't imagine why he went and joined the IRA after that.
Speaker 2: Was there not that there's ever a reason to do any of that, but was there any motive?
Speaker 1: Not that I'm aware of. I'm under the impression it was literally like, let's just go kill those Catholic kids. Wow. So when he was sixteen, he joined the IRA. He spent five months in jail without being convicted of anything, and then he was arrested again, I think when he was seventeen, and this time he got a conviction. He spent he served nine months. When he was eighteen, he got arrested for hijacking a bus. He was the first person sent to the Minotaur's maze after they decided to stop treating paramilitaries like prisoners of war. And so he showed up and they're like, all right, put on your prison clothes, and he's like, I'm not a fucking criminal. I'm a fucking freedom fighter. I'm not I'm not going to do that. Or more specifically, he said that if they wanted him to wear a uniform, they would have to nail it to his back. He wore a blanket instead. This gets called the blanket protest. Very direct namers at this particular juncture.
Speaker 2: Also too cute for my liking. The troubles was cute, you know, blanket protest. I understand what it's doing. It's very literal.
Speaker 1: But yeah, terrible.
Speaker 2: Things have cute names, and that makes me unsettled.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd be like if Bunny wasn't your cat but instead like a giant creature in the woods with red eyes that sings the British national anthem.
Speaker 2: I don't know, like that is terrify.
Speaker 1: I know, what if there's like a monster in your woods that just like say nationalist of Yeah, totally.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 1: The second prisoner to join the blanket protest was a woman, so of course she has left out of most of the narratives. I like had the whole script written where I was like, and then the second prisoner is and as this other guy, and then later I was like, no, this other person was the second person to join the protest. She was in a different prison for women, and she had a version of the best name ever. Her name was mari Ed, which is Irish from Margaret, and she was in prison for fourteen years for bombing a hotel that was being used by British soldiers, and at trial she refused to acknowledge the colonial court.
Speaker 2: Well about us cross the board, check check check.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she fucking she goes hard. The third prisoner to join the blanket protest was a man named Jackie McMullen. He is usually marked as the second because why would women matter, even though women have been active participants in Irish struggles since literally forever.
Speaker 2: But women are at people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally, yeah, Jackie. This guy, Jackie had been arrested twenty times as a teenager. He has a quote about it. Every male aged thirteen to sixty five would have been arrested, the vast majority for screening. Like basically they would just arrest every Catholic they saw to see if they were like opt no good or whatever. Right, So he've been arrested twenty fucking times.
Speaker 2: So we still don't really know how they know they're Catholic. Really, maybe like.
Speaker 1: The neighborhoods they're in or again someone knows, yeah, but I don't know. The neighborhoods were increasingly I think since nineteen sixty six, the neighborhoods were increasingly segregated, were actually going to talk about some people who like actually had grown up in very like mixed neighborhoods and were perfectly fine and everything was happy until nineteen sixty six when Protestants started like self segregating away from the Catholics and stuff. So Jackie was a freedom fighter with the IRA. He had a nickname. His nickname was Teapot. Love it because one of his tops of one of his ears had been shot off. Well he was, I know, they don't fuck with the guy named Teapot who has a revolver and is a missing part of his ear. When you look up photos of all of these guys now, like the ones who survive all of this, they're just like they're just some old Irish guy. It's like real cute. There's just like, oh there's anyone's yeah yeah. And so Teapot had been caught with a revolver when he was twenty. His trial was only forty minutes long. He also refused to recognize the court. When he was in prison, his mother, alongside other Irish women, changed herself to the railings outside the Prime Minister's house in London. Wow, and by Christmas that year, So a few months later it started in September, there were forty prisoners wearing blankets, mostly IRA and the Irish National Liberation Army.
Speaker 2: Folks, we're not to acquire these blankets.
Speaker 1: It's like what they have in prison. It's like the it's the blanket that they're like, all.
Speaker 2: Right at or airplane blanket.
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably whatever. The whatever your fucking scratchy wool blanket you have in prison.
Speaker 2: Is okay, So they all have like they access to get a blanket. I guess what I'm saying, Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah. By nineteen seventy eight, they escalated from the blanket protest to the dirty protest, where prisoners refused to wash and then started smearing their shit and menstrual blood on the walls of their cells.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm not mad about it.
Speaker 1: No, I mean whatever, whatever fucking works, yeah.
Speaker 2: Or whatever. I mean, that's fucking disgusting. Yeah, if you're not going to get shamed into action, maybe you'll get disgusted into action.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally, Like I don't want Yeah, it's probably just to get the guards to be like, man, I don't want to deal with this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: I don't get paid enough for this shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: They had five demands and their demands weren't freedom for Ireland, like that's what they were fighting for as their cause, right, But this sort of strike is usually about specific conditions, and specifically they had five demands related to essentially prisoner of war status. They demanded the right to not wear a prison uniform, the right to not do prison work, the right of free association with other prisoners and to organize educational and recreational pursuits. The right to one visit, one letter and one parcel per week, and full restoration of remission lost through the protest. Basically, it's like, while they were protesting, the state was like, well, this doesn't count as your life time served because you're like not being nice outside of prison. People start organizing for their support. The kind of at the beginning of this people are like, yeah, I mean, I guess that matters, but what really matters is like the struggle, you know, and then people were like, actually, no, those people in prison matter outside prison. By eighteenth not eighteen seventy nine nineteen seventy nine, the usage writing about the eighteenth century nineteenth fuck whatever. Nineteen seventy nine, the Northern Irish socialist politician Bernadette mccawsky is a working class Republican woman, because republican means socialist at this point in time in history, in this particular place, because political labels change what they mean depending on context. She started to fight for folks she'd been present at Bloody Sunday. Later in nineteen eighty one, people break into her house trying to assassinate her. She gets shot nine times in front of her children, and she lives.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: She was like, all right, kid, you got shot eight times. I'm gonna get not shot nine times and live. So she's working to support the prisoners. This is before she gets shot. In nineteen eighty the Dirty Strike goes Hunger Strike. One hundred and forty eight prisoners in the men's prison volunteer, but they pick seven of themselves total as a symbolic thing about the number of folks who signed the nineteen sixteen Declaration of the Republic. When kind of the Easter Rising sort of kicks off what leads to the independence the semi independence of Ireland. At the nearby women's prison, three women join, including our girl Marriod, and later just to end her saga. Unfortunately, in nineteen eighty eight, she's killed during her arrest In Joe Bralter, she's trying with some IRA friends to car bombs some British soldiers when they get caught, and inquiries later show that she was actually illegally shot because she had been trying to comply with her arrest when they killed her. Wow, But for now she's hunger striking.
Speaker 2: Is it like something on top of like, it's not replacing the dirty strike.
Speaker 1: It's like in addition to they might have stopped smearing their shit on their walls. I'm not sure. They probably were pretty excited to take a shower.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's it's not great for the person doing the dirty strike either, I'm sure. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then the hunger strike is also it's just a it's an escalation, you know. And and they win this hunger strike in nineteen eighty. The strike lasts fifty three days, but in the end the government blinks. They're afraid of the backlash loget if they kill this prisoner. Which is another thing that nonviolence pairs really well with is violence m H. It was the threat of violence that caused the British government to concede to this non violent tactic. So the government say all right, fine, we'll meet you five demands. But then the government being a government. I don't know if you knew this. Sometimes governments don't hold their promises.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, are you serious?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know it. It changes the law, don't.
Speaker 2: Follow the law. People don't care about morals or or anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you'd think. I mean, obviously there's no system by which people would get elected if they weren't honest.
Speaker 2: And my god, I really thought, I really thought governments could help us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, this is probably the only time in place where a government has done this. Okay, great, So they start another hunger strike on March first, nineteen eighty one, and the IRA has a military command structure, right, the officer commanding of the imprisoned IRA members is a guy who's in prison and his name is Bobby Sands, and he's like, well, I'm in charge, and so I'm going to do the honorable thing, and I'm going to go first. So he stops eating, and you know, they're like, we are political prisoners. We will be treated as such. They have the five demands, the same five demands they've ostensibly already won, but have not. Bobby Sands, he grew up in a mixed neighborhood Protestant Catholic neighborhood. But when he was twelve in nineteen sixty six, all of his Protestant friends stopped talking to him. I think their families basically made them ice him out. As an adult, he tried to just go be a guy, right, and he went to get work as a coach builder, which is a busmaker in American English. I had a double check.
Speaker 2: He thought building coaches to like go to the NBA or anything.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, okay, okay. Whereas I was thinking it was like horse drawn carriages, they still had horse drawn carriage.
Speaker 2: You know, wait, what is it really say it against bus? A bus?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he made buses bus where he tried to make buses, but a bunch of guys wearing fucking like paramilitary Protestant armbands who he worked with. The word that gets used. The verb they used is harassed. They harassed him into quitting, And by harassed, I mean they stuck a gun in his face and told him to fuck off. And his family and almost all the other Catholics in the family were driven out of their homes at gunpoint. So he's like all right Ira time he bombs a furniture store. I have literally no idea why. I'm sure he had a reason. And then he gets in a shootout with the cops and he gets sentenced to the Minotaur's Maze. And then March first, nineteen eighty one, he begins to hunger strike. More prisoners join at staggered intervals. Basically the idea is that if we join at different times, there's always going to be different prisoners at different lengths of it, basically because they know that they're doing this until they die.
Speaker 2: Right, So so nothing really changed after the first one, right, so what did how did it end?
Speaker 4: Then?
Speaker 2: Per se? Like what did what?
Speaker 1: They were like, Oh, we're going to meet all your demands and then they were like, oh right we win. Yeah, then they just didn't okay.
Speaker 2: Got it?
Speaker 1: Yeah. And so by doing this as staggered intervals, they have different people at different stages of it. So instead of everyone dying all at once, people die at different intervals. And the reason that we know so this is like the famous hunger strike in Ireland. There's a bunch their hunger strikes have been work going on in Ireland. I didn't write them all down but since nineteen seventeen, Like it is, as long as there's been people fighting for an Ireland, it probably goes back way while, as we talked about, it goes way the fuck back. While he was two months into the hunger strike, Bobby Sands ran for the British House of Commons basically like ran for government in Northern Ireland and he won. He won, he was in the prison. How is he able to run? Well, they ended up passing the law after this that says that you can't run for British Yeah, and so he runs and he gets a seat in a House of Commons, he's not allowed to sit it. It doesn't get him out of prison, right, And he's also two months into a hunger strike. So it's a protest vote basically. It's like people are like, well, we're going to vote for this dying guy because we support his cause and that's how we will show it. Margaret Thatcher, who is trying to give Margaret's a bad name, said, crime is crime. There's no special concessions, like we're not gonna treat anyone like prisoner as a war and this guy can't sit even though he's been elected. Fuck democracy, you know, and winning an election will starving yourself is a really good way to get media attention for your hunger strike. It's also a good way to get the UK to pass a law specifically for make sure no one ever does what you do again. And this is actually the reason that they hadn't really thought about this before. I think is that this is when the IRA came around to electoralism as a strategy. Before that, they were absentationists, right, they refused to vote, and then eventually they're like, all right, fine, we'll just start fucking voting and nationalists because we actually are the majority of people here.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: On his sixty sixth day of hunger striking, Bobby Sands, who was twenty seven years old, died. No more than one hundred thousand people came to his funeral. France, the Margaret Thatcher was like fuck you, I don't care. She wrote a whole bunch of stuff basically being like, he's an evil terrorist trying to blackmail us with his life.
Speaker 2: Such a bad margaret.
Speaker 1: Yeah sorry, no, I mean.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry that you're Margaret. And yeah she has that name. That's not fair.
Speaker 1: I know, we got called a lot there. God give her a different name, just to take it back for the Margarets monster stature. Yeah, well, I'll think about it. Sorry that thatchue Kanye's baddy. Apparently I've learned on the show that baddye means good.
Speaker 2: So no, baddie means like like Cardi B's a baddy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 3: I Ian was was like I've said. Ian texted me after editing that episode, was like, I was like, I was so confused, and then you explained it to Margaret and then it mads it.
Speaker 1: In my mind. Baddy is like the are we the Baddy sketch where the Nazis have to admit that they're that might be on the wrong side. No, anyway, no, anyway.
Speaker 2: We've time has progressed since then. I suppose I am now aware.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do you know what else you should be aware of? That it's a time for an ad break.
Speaker 1: Oh well, if you want to be a batty, you should wear clothing that is advertised. You know, actually, whether or not these companies advertise clothing, you should try to buy clothing from them. You should write them and say make it happen, please sell me, not T shirts, not branded stuff like I want them to make article full articles of clothing, like I want to see their textile capacity.
Speaker 2: Quilts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, blankets, blankets you could wear a you could start your own blanket protest by buying blankets from the gold vendors who are going to come on to sell you that. Here you go and we're back for lists enough. A bunch of people who died after Bobby Sands. Francis Hughes died next, then Raymond mccreash and Patsy O'Hara, who had once been shot at the age of fourteen by a British soldier. Joe McDonell, Martin Hurson, Kevin Lynch, Kieren Doe, Thomas Mcgillwey and Michael Devine died. Ten people died. They were all in all in their twenties, and the strike ended in a sort of draw. Eventually, the other Hunger strikers withdrew because a lot of their families were like, look, even if you fall unconscious, if you fall unconscious, we're going to allow medical intervention. So they withdrew and England declared it a victory. But the strikers won four of their demands during this they won everything but the right to avoid work, and the other hunger strikers didn't want to withdraw because they were like, no, Bobby Sands has died for this. We can't turn our backs now.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: But it basically their hands were forced because you can't control what happens to you when you're unconscious. But they actually won their fifth demands soon enough. They won it through another means, the kind of sideways means. They went it through a means that's called the Great Escape.
Speaker 2: Who yes, tell me more.
Speaker 1: Another thing that people in prison sometimes choose to do is on the twenty twentieth, twenty fifth of September nineteen eighty three, thirty eight IRA prisoners broke out of jail. This is a maximum security prison. This is like considered like, I mean, it's Her Majesty's fucking maze, right.
Speaker 2: How do they do it?
Speaker 4: Do we know?
Speaker 1: How they do? We do?
Speaker 2: They didn't break original.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they wounded twenty guards in the process. Hell yeah, they inadvertently killed one who died of a heart attack. To be fair, they'd also stabbed the guy. No, I know, I know, to be fair, they'd also stabbed the guy. But later a coroner's report was like, actually the heart attack was unrelated to the stabbings, and so like someone who got caught during all of this actually had their charges lessened because they hadn't they had killed him, the heart attack did. Yeah, six handguns had been smuggled into the prison, and so like a cell block or whatever takes the guard's prisoner, some of them were shot and stabbed as necessary, like people who like tried to run to set the alarm and stuff and stuff like that. The escapies got out of the cell block and they hijacked a truck. They're still inside the prison guard right, And then they took the truck over to the gatehouse. They took over the gatehouse, taking over guards there, and then they tried to drive out, but the exit was blocked by cars, so they climbed over the fence and they made it free. And this was the largest prison break in British history. And I will say Britain if you don't want to take that, l just admit that it was Ireland and not Britain. And then it wasn't the large jail break in British history.
Speaker 2: Well that's an easy out, you really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I found the solution. About half of the men stayed free, some rejoined active duty, and others moved to Ireland or the US. Basically like they got back to IRA headquarters and the IRA is like, look, you can either come back to active duty or we will buy you like tickets and get you whatever you need to move to the US or Ireland, and about it was about half and half what people chose to do. A lot of the people who moved to Ireland or the US later got arrested, They got caught, and they had they were facing an extradition to but then a lot of them successfully fought that extradition, both in the US and Ireland. There was a lot of places where like, now we're not gonna extradite your political prisoners are so obviously political prisoners. And two of the escapees were never heard from again. But the heroes of this escape was that there was a rear guard. When they took all of the guard's hostage in the cell block, they needed someone to stay behind to keep the guards from putting up the calling the alarm to give everyone time to get out. So a couple people stayed there and kept the guards hostage, and then once everyone had had enough time to escape, they went back to their cells. Well, they basically fell on the proverbial grenade.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the thing that happened is after this escape, the work camps at Her Majesty's Prison Mays were shut down because like prisoners were no longer like trusted to work. Right, So the strikers won their fifth demand.
Speaker 2: That's great, that's great to hear. That's yeah.
Speaker 1: Don't give us all five of our demands. We're going to stab and shoot people, don't you do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's what happened when non violence turns.
Speaker 1: Violent, yeah, which is when you don't let it be nonviolent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: And just to briefly wrap up the Irish situation with it, in twenty twenty three, shin Fane, which is the socialist political party that grew out of the IRA They are now the largest political party in Northern Ireland. The UK slide into right wing politics and out of the EU helped that happen, right, because Northern Irish people like, wait, we don't want to leave the fucking EU. We'd rather join Ireland and stay with the EU, you know. And of course Star Trek has predicted an Irish unification of twenty twenty four. So it's just around the corner. Yeah, fingers crossed. Yeah, but now we're going to go twenty six hundred miles from Ireland to another country that has struggled for recognition and freedom because of some decision that England made.
Speaker 2: Fucking England.
Speaker 1: Yeah, God, the country of Palestine. To draw the connections, Ireland is trying to recognize Palestine as a state. Both of the lower houses have passed a motion to recognize Palestine, but the government, I think that means an executive branch or whoever makes the decisions after the lower houses. I don't actually know enough about English Irish politics. They won't go for it until it's formally acknowledged by the rest of Europe. So they're ignoring what the majority of Irish people want, which is to recognize Palestine. They are the first EU country to condemn Israel's de facto annexation of Palestinian land. And as we talked about, it's not because Irish people are like inherently cooler, it's because they have a lot in fucking common Yeah. Shin Faine, the IRA's political party essentially, or the political party came out of the IRA, wants to see the Israeli ambassador remove from the Republic of Ireland, and John Boyne, the Foreign Affairs speaker for the party, told Al Jazeero, once the time has gone for words of condemnation, now is the time to take decisive action against a lawbreaker that presides over an apartheid system.
Speaker 2: That's that's the most attractive thing I've ever heard an Irish person say. I love Ireland.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 2: It's also just like I don't know, I think more. I don't think enough people know that, like know just how much Ireland like it's an advocate for Palestine. I think the majority of people don't realize like this very Caucasian place. Yeah, that's like known for other things, is also pretty fucking badass and like the biggest advocate advocate for like people that don't have a voice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I actually that's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: So if you're Irish out.
Speaker 1: There, Yeah, And it's like particularly funny because like Irish American is like one of the primary white identities that Americans cling to, but the way that Irish Americans cling to it is in this weird right wing way. And I've talked about this before, but there's nothing more depressing than watching listening to Ira songs on YouTube and seeing all the comments from right wing US people being like, that's right, Republicans, you're our guys, and then like all the Irish people have going to be like, we're socialists. That's what Irish, That's what Irish Republican means.
Speaker 2: People who know the meaning of different words in different places.
Speaker 1: Yeah, speaking of words that have a lot of meanings that are complicated. We're gonna talk about Zionism now. Strap In Irish leftists used to have more sympathies for Zionism before nineteen thirty seven because they had sympathies for a stateless people. But they were not excited. When I say they, I'm talking about like large groups and governments and stuff. I'm not trying to say every individual Irish person is good or bad, right, but they were not excited about the partition and the creation of an ethno state. If folks want to learn more about what's going on in Palestine, we're going to talk a little bit more. But I really recommend there's this podcast sharene that you might have heard of that covers a lot about what's going on in Palestine. It's called it Could Happen Here. And if people look up any episodes that Sharine has done. It is one of the best sources that I will It's where I get a lot of information.
Speaker 2: Don't give you too much credit. There are a lot of people doing good stuff talking about Palestine, but I do try to give people the bare minimum of what they should know because no one else is talking about it, so I gotta do it. But thank you for that shout out. I wasn't sure where you were going with that, to be honest.
Speaker 1: No, No, it's I mean, well, I don't know. I feel like when I came up into politics, I feel like talking about what was going on Palestine was like everywhere, and I feel like that's not as much the case anymore. And I have complicated ideas about what the reasons for that might be. Yeah, but it's a shame.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I mean people, not people. But like the media, this big word like makes it so that it's too complicated to talk about for the majority of people. Right, like what you said about earlier, Like it's not about religion for the processing, Like, it's not just about religion for for the Irish and English. It's the same thing. It's not this like ancient religious conflict that it's like unsolvable. It's actually much more simple than that, and much more like violent and evil than this complicated. I don't know it just it's it's all a bunch of words tossed around, making making people confuse. But yeah, I think a power struck. Knowing more about Palestine is like, even if something doesn't affect you, I think it is shameful if you don't give a shit about people suffering in another part of the world. I don't think that's an excuse that I'm willing to accept.
Speaker 1: Though, and especially when our tax money is one of the primary things that fuels exactly. So, I know more about Jewish history than I know about Palestinian history, and so some of what I'm going to talk about is from this perspective, just literally to understand part of what creates that or part of what's going into that. So I want to talk about Zionism. I ran this past one last night. I'm like running all this past one of my anarchist Jewish friends about how to talk about this stuff. In the twentieth century, most Jews lived in the diaspora, which is the spread out community no longer where it culturally originated from and without a specific homeland. There's roughly three attitudes that were happening about how to handle this anti Zionism, leftist Zionism, and right wing Zionism. Anti Zionism, which was largely leftist, said basically, this culture that we have built in the diaspora is also beautiful and it is not to be abandoned, and we have to fight for our rights here where we are here being largely Eastern Europe in the east coast of the US, with Warsaw and New York City as I believe the two largest population centers for Jews. We talk a little bit more about this relationship in the Warsaw Ghetto episode with Miriam Who's my friend who I was wow? I was trying to talk to about all of this. And this anti Zionism was largely internationalist and therefore opposed to anything like nationalism, and this tended to include the anarchists and many of the communist Jews, which was a huge percentage of the Jews in both Eastern Europe and New York City. There's also some right wing or i guess religiously conservative anti zionism from within Judaism. At this time, which is basically the idea that Judaism is a spiritual project and not a political one, and that for some people, Jewish immigration to Palestine was actually a sin that contradicted the will of God, having to do with more complicated stuff that is above my head about like prophecy and such. Then there's left wing Zionism, which is sometimes conflated with or is the same thing then diagrammed with labor Zionism, which is basically like, well, we should go back to Palestine in mass but not necessarily. For some people it was, and some people it wasn't. Let's set up a specific separate state. They were split on that. It was also very specifically, we don't want Western powers to give us a state. We want to organize a socialist society of kaboots communal farms and go from there. In the end, a lot of the labor Zionists did a lot of the really bad shit, a lot of the early Israel bad stuff, like the displacement of seven hundred thousand Palestinian Arabs during the nineteen forty eight war.
Speaker 2: The Nekva, the catastrophe is what.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, that was largely perpetrated by left wing Zionists, just to be upfront about that. Yeah, within labor Zionism you also have what's called cultural Zionism, which Albert Einstein considered himself a cultural Zionist, which supported the Jewish return to the homeland, but only in the context of Jewish Arab cooperation, and it was opposed to the creation of a Jewish state. Now I'm quoting Einstein with quote borders an army in a measure of temporal power. And a lot of the Jewish anarchists who weren't anti Zionists fell into this category where clearly anarchists don't usually advocate for the creation of a state. They tended to present what was called the bi national solution, which is a single state with Arab and Jewish equality. Today, Israeli's anarchist movement largely calls for the no state solution, which is just sort of the like, let's get rid of all the governments. We're anarchists. Also, a lot of these left of Zionists show up to lay the groundwork right all the Zionists talks and Jewish folks began moving to Palestine, only to realize, oh, this would be really bad. The Communist in particular recognized this in the nineteen twenties, several showed up ready to form like socialist parties, and we're like, oh, it's actually mostly Arabs living here. We like literally didn't know that because we live in a very strange media sphere. In the nineteen twenties, it would actually be really shitty and discriminatory if we set up a Jewish state, even a communist one. And so those folks became anti Zionists and worked alongside Arab workers to set up things like the Palestinian Communist Party. Of course, communism had this wonderful thing happened where Joseph Stalin came and killed all the people doing good things within it. My dog doesn't approve of Joseph Stalin. I'm shocked by this good boy.
Speaker 2: And uh yeah, you've raised him well.
Speaker 1: One of the guys behind this like conversion to anti Zionism within leftist Sionism, his name was jose Burger Barzali. He wound up caught in Stalin's purges and sent to Siberia. Right, that's your reward for being a morally consistent communist in the nineteen twenties. Then there's right wing Zionism, right wing zionem Is Zionism is We're going to go back and get what's ours and fuck everyone else. During the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising, all three factions were present. Is where I know more about it from right the research I did for that episode. But until the very end, the leftists wouldn't throw down with the right wing Zionists because they fucking hated them, because they were fascists, and they were like, the only thing that's different between you and the Nazis is that the Nazis are currently in control. Obviously, the Jews weren't the only folks who were pondering the impact of large scale immigration to Palestine. The Arab people who lived there at the time Palestine was eighty three percent Arab, eleven percent Christian, and five percent Jewish around the turn of the century. They were like, this might not go great, and they were right by Arab, you mean most right.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 1: Actually, now i'm realizing that that I like, I actually, I'm actually curious. When I was doing this research, a lot of things would specifically be like Arab and Jewish as like the way to contrast things rather than Muslim and I don't like that at all. Okay, that's really good to know, and I'm.
Speaker 2: I mean, people have different opinions on it. I just think it furthers this. I mean, part of me does appreciate it because it kind of equates both being Arab and actually, no, that's all I want meant to say. You know how like the word Jewish can be in both cultural and religious. Yes, I think that's true for a lot of religions. I think that's true for Christianity and Islam, you know what I mean. Yeah, but I think it gets overlooked. But it would be different if they said Muslim and Jewish and they were equating it that way. But I think their version of that to say Arab. But that's assuming that the Christians weren't also Arab.
Speaker 1: I would you know?
Speaker 2: They were all Arab? In my there were just different religions that all actually got along great before the fucking British got involved.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But but yeah, I think that's where people get confused because before like the the mass like stealing of homes and the catastrophe and all that stuff, there weren't a lot of white European Jews in Palestine. You know, Like I think that's when the racial stuff started changing. In my opinion, I don't.
Speaker 1: Know, no, no, that that's incredibly useful context. As I was reading it, I was like I went back and forth about like how I was going to try and present the stuff, and I just didn't know, you know, And so I really appreciate that.
Speaker 2: No, of course. And I also think it's like some like a lot of Arabs are white passing, So I think it's kind of confusing to even like differentiate it sometimes. But there is a huge difference like in my opinion of Arab versus like a like a white European X, Y and Z.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but.
Speaker 2: But yeah, all the Arab states or countries rather like Syria, Lebanon, Palestine, all the religions co mingled so seamlessly and beautifully, like in Syria even when I was growing up there, like like when I was when I would visit as a teenager or like a young adult or like kid or whatever the shit, Like since I was like two, my grandpa would like go on a daily walks. He would go pray at the mestig, grab some bread from the Jewish baker, grab some what is so from the Christian guy. No one fucking gives a shit, you know, until it's become this land grab and like literal genocide. Like it didn't have to go that way, is what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, that that makes sense to me and attracts with the bit I've read about it, and I'm kind of curious. I'm under the impression that some of the left left Zionists were like, we just want to go participate in the existing like happy everyone gets along. Mm hmmm, Palestine thing, and obviously the larger portion of them created a state, and you know, I.
Speaker 2: Don't think it actually is a thing. I think the way it started, the fact that you've exiled and murdered and masacred people, if that's how you're gonna start, there is no peaceful cooperation after that, Like it's so totally you know, like I think, I think it's kind of like a pipe dream. Unfortunately, when people kind of go that route, because even though they have good intentions, it is really naive and low key stupid. Sorry, sorry, maybe that's too harsh, but I just don't think it's reasonable to be like, for example, oh, the Native Americans and indigenous people and in the Pilgrims they're friends now, Like, no, that's not how that works, you know, I don't know. I think it's just as ridiculous as that. But sorry, I can write about this forever and I apologize.
Speaker 1: No, I mean there's a reason that had you is that guessed on this episode? Yeah, you know, like I in this case, I was game specifically about the like before like the like like turn of the central that's what you mean.
Speaker 2: Yes, sorry, sorry, sorry, I got myself but angry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, whatever the intentions of the various wings of its Jewish founders, what Israel became is a settler apartheid state founded on this genocide and the Knakba.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, okay, sorry, just to go back to what you were saying, there is now that I know, the time period or like the pre Israel thing you're talking about. I don't think people realize that Christianity, Judaism, and Islam are basically the same religion, just at different time periods. Like Christianity is the continuation of Judaism, and Islam is the continuation of both Judaism and Christianity. Like it's just like extending the timeline. And that's why the Land of Palestine and the dough month of Rock and all of that. It's it's sacred. That space is sacred to all of them. There's a reason for that because they're all extremely similar and based on the same ideals of like a one God, religion and all this stuff. So I think there was a time when it was completely just cultural and vibrant, and I'm sure there were problems, like there are everywhere, but I think people don't realize that now, and they still see Islam as being this like different thing, and Judaism is different and Christianity is different, when really they're all the fucking same. Like Alma just means God, Like that's that's just an Arabic word for God. It's not a different God. It's the same fucking God. And Judas and not Judas. Jesus and Moses are both like really important prophets for Muslims, and I don't think people know that. I don't know, so I apologize.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, I only learned that Jesus was an important prophet to Islam as an adult, but I learned almost nothing about Islam as a kid. And then yeah, like.
Speaker 2: Mean, why should you, I don't I don't follow you.
Speaker 1: For that I mean, yeah, like, I'm glad I've taken the time to learn as an adult, and I would recommend that other people do too. Yeah, speaking of the continuation of it, Shinead O'Connor, who died yesterday as we record this, left the Catholic Church because it was a horrible, monstrous thing that attacked her, but then still sow it very hard to believe and wound up at the end of her life converting to Islam. All right, Yeah, I'm just sad about it. So, yeah, if you haven't been keeping track what's going on and w actually before we talk about hunger strikes in Palestine, we should talk about stuff things. Here you go and we're back. We're gonna talk about some Palestinian hunger strikes and we're gonna talk about it because in the context of apartheid, in displacement and just disproportionate retribution and just raw oppression, right, Palestinians are kept in open air prisons and treated worse than it is easy to imagine the troubles the Irish thing that was bad, that was a bad time to live in Ireland. My family in Ireland didn't like to talk about them, and wish that they could just not talk about politics. Civilians were killed, lots of civilians. Killing civilians is a moral. Car bombs and crowded places is a moral. It's bad. Many freedom fighters lose their legitimacy in my eyes when they do shit like that. But we can see why they did it, we can see like and we can support an overall cause and some of their actions without necessarily supporting all of the actions that all individuals take, and without drawing a false moral equivalence between the violence of a colonial authority state and the violence of the people resisting it. As my irant, I had the advantage I had to write my rent down.
Speaker 2: No, that was very eloquent. I liked it. But yeah, it's like a similar thing of like, what do you say, like a nail bomb versus like rocks, It's literally the same thing.
Speaker 1: It's like it's yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Mean Palestine is a little very clear or just because like they don't have any kind of army versus the most powerful army in the world. So that's like a little bit silly to even try. But yeah, don't I know what you mean?
Speaker 1: No, totally, So, yeah, there's an order of magnitude difference in the violence that is put upon a Palestinian people and that they put back. While I was writing this script, I saw footage of the occupation pouring cement into a spring like a to cement it up so that people couldn't grow food and have access to water, which is actually a war crime, which doesn't matter, because yeah, power is what matters to people.
Speaker 2: This is okay, Sorry, my last little tangent, Like I actually can't promise that I might do this again. What really confounds me, I guess about a certain brand of Zionism where it's about returning to the homeland and loving the homeland and that's where the the beauty will be and all everyone will be united. What I don't understand is like, if you gave a shit about the land youuron, you wouldn't actively destroy it. You wouldn't like, there's the whole thing I did an episode about, or yeah, exactly, like I had an episode about olive trees and Palestine like a couple months ago, and literally there's a whole system of like uprooting olive trees and destroying farms and all of these things that really just make you realize it's not about this beautiful notion of X, Y and Z. It's literally about destroying something that's not yours and pretending that it is after that. And I think that is just like one of my biggest arguments in face of that, like retort of like this is our beautiful place to live, Like, no, you're cementing springs and rooting out olive trees where they're like meant to grow. That makes no sense to me. So that's always really just like really bewildered me, to be honest, I don't know what the defenses for that when it comes to the land of Palestine. I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Power is a hell of a drug. Yeah, it's like there's a reason that the one ring must be cast into the fires of Mount doom.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 1: Wasn't sure I was going to get in a lot of the rings reference in this episode, but I did.
Speaker 2: It's impressive.
Speaker 1: It's impressive. So a lot of Palestinian folks hunger strike, specifically Palestinian prisoners, specifically Palestinian prisoners who are held Oh it's going to be the name of it's in my script, but I forget much like how the Irish were allowed to be held without any charges or trial, and Israel has decided that it is legal for them to hold people on secret evidence that no one ever sees, and hold people without charges and without trial just the same the there's no rule of law, you know, there's no due process of law.
Speaker 2: And now it's on video everywhere, Like they just arrest people on the street, like boys usually, yeah, like not even a teenage boy. Just get sent to jail and are there for years.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So in twenty seventeen, on Palestinian Prisoner's Day, which is April seventeenth, fifteen hundred Palestinian political prisoners started a hunger strike to improve prison conditions, and they taking only salt water. And you know what their demands were. It wasn't free Palestine, although that is a valid and desirable thing, but it's not the kind of thing you win with hunger strikes. They didn't even have the five demands of our ira folks. They wanted a public telephone so they could talk to their families. They wanted bi monthly family visits. They wanted to be able to take photos with their families. They wanted air conditioning, not a famously cold placed Palestine. They also wanted the end of imprisonment without trial. It was called administrative detention, where people can be held on secret evidence for years. It's still exists in Israel. Currently there's more than a thousand Palestinians being held without charges or evidence. Everyone knows Guantanamo Bay is bad right because it had no due process of law. Guantanamo Bay currently holds thirty one prisoners. Hunger strikes in Palestine have been going on for decades. Here's some of them. In nineteen sixty nine, prisoners struck for enough food and a repeal on the ban of writing letters and no more being forced to call the guards sir. Those were their demands. It was broken by the strikers being thrown in solitary confinement, which is of course very normal to an American audience, but it shouldn't because it is absolutely classified as torture under that above mentioned useless international law. Nearby the same year, some strikers won stationary like that is the level of rights that they're fighting for. In nineteen seventy, some women prisoners fought for let us have sanitary products that the Red Cross is trying to give us. They had to starve themselves in order to say, please, let the red fucking Cross, give us some goddamn sanitary products.
Speaker 2: I'm kind of ang sorry, I'm just kidding angry.
Speaker 1: No, I'm getting angrier too. In nineteen seventy a political prisoner named Abdul Kader abu Altham was murdered by guards. He was hunger striking for stationary and for prisoners to be able to get closed from their family. When guards force fed him, they put a tube into his lungs instead of his stomach. He will not be the last person killed by this negligence and or malice. And since this is the only place I've ever read about this happening, I think it's fucking malice. But I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know how I feel.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Nineteen seventy six, they were striking for stationary and to replace plastic mattresses with actual mattresses. The prison said, yes, they stopped striking the prisoner. The prison was like, no, just kidding, fuck you. In nineteen eighty yeah. In nineteen eighty two, more prisoners, Rasim Halloway and Ali Jafari, were murdered by force feeding, once again just into the lungs. Their strike wins and the conditions are improved in nineteen eighty four, a thirteen day strike by eight hundred prisoners won ventilation, they won better food, radio, TV, and clothes is one of the more successful ones. And nineteen eighty seven, three thousand prisoners go on strike for twenty days. They don't win. And if you're a christ like.
Speaker 2: Three three thousand prisoners, what one exists to you in these persons? Two is not all of them, you know, and three go on a hunger strike like that is just you know.
Speaker 1: That's actually the next part. The next thing I wrote in my spae no no no, I wrote, Look, I'm just going to say it. If your country of ten million people has three thousand political prisoners, that's too many and you're doing something bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah that yes, thank you, margaret. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Or seven thousand prisoners went on strike in nineteen ninety two, and which is I don't know if this is to be fair or not. This is more than there are currently Palestinian political prisoners. But seven thousand prisoners went on strike in nineteen ninety two, and they want a decent amount. They shut down an isolation unit, they stopped strip searches. Prisoners were allowed to cook their own meals, and they got more family visitation, but four years later in two thousand, they're striking again for some of the same shit, like let us have access to phones, stop putting people in solitary. In two thousand and four, four thousand prisoners strike for phones and shit like that again, not like cell phones to hang out on the internet all day, but like, literally, can we have a fucking payphone so we can talk to our families the prisons. Instead of giving the four thousand prisoners anything, they deny them books and newspapers and cigarettes and salt and family visits. No salt in the desert. There's more than that. There's more hunger strikes than that, because they get colonial promises which are nothing. It's true the US promises shit to indigenous people. It's true when England promises shit to the Irish people, and it's true when Israel promises shit to the Palestinian people. Have you ever heard of Tristan Anderson. He's an American activist.
Speaker 2: Sounds familiar, but please tell me more.
Speaker 1: I knew him. I'm using the past tense only because I haven't talked to him in a long time, not because he's dead. He's an American activist, I haven't seen him in years. I haven't seen him since before what happens here. In two thousand and nine, he was working with the International Solidarity Movement in the West Bank and he was standing next to his Jewish partner when an Israeli soldier shot a baton round at his face, even though he was observing the protests at a distance. And this was a round intended to be fired from around four hundred meters at an arc and not very specifically, not designed to be shot at close range or directly at people. It was shot at sixty meters directly, and it shattered his skull. Part of his brain had to be removed, and he's been paralyzed and mentally disabled and in need of round the clock care ever since. The Israeli government didn't file any charges against the soldiers who shot him. His family sued the State of Israel. His partner, Gabby Silverman, came to support him and cared for him during the trial. From an article on this trial the civil Trial published by the IMMC quote. As soon as the court hearing ended, Silverman, who is Jewish, received a formal order that she must leave the State of Israel within this next seven days. The reasons stated on the paperwork included insufficient proof that there was a lawsuit going on and insufficient proof that she was a Jew. Well, this isn't The Times of Israel had actually erased Silverman's jewishness before they had a headline quote pro Palestinian activists assault Jewish woman in Oakland because Gabby Silverman and other people through a rally for Tristan Right, and a Zionist came to the rally for Silverman's maimed partner and wrote Zionist slogans on the ground in chalk. So Silverman and others ran the Zionist out. So, according to the Times of Israel, the Zionist gets to be called a Jewish woman. But Silverman is just a pro Palestinian activist because Israel is a home for homeland for all Jews except for the ones who support Palestine.
Speaker 2: Also, just the just a harp on this like not enough proof thing. Literally, like nine people that are like, hey, I'm Jewish can go on birthright, Yeah you know what I mean. Like it's so fucking easy for a lot of like Jewish people in no matter if it's cultural or whatever, to go on fucking birthright. It's not even anyway. I mean, this is just clearly just yeah backwards and not what they say it is.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, no, totally like yeah, if she had shown it wanted to be like, hey, I anyway, whatever, Okay. A month after Tristan was shot, a thirty year old Palestinian man named Bessim Abu Rame was killed by a soldier who shot a tear gas canister into his chest at a short range. In just the first half of this year, Israel has killed one hundred and twelve Palestinians. Palestine only has five million people total. This is like if some foreign country killed seven four hundred Americans in the first half of this year.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you making that comparison, because year after year they kill hundreds of people and I don't know, the world just goes on obviously, Yeah, but I don't know. And the things you're mentioning, it's it's not like an isolated occurrence to like fire someone at close range or like yeah literally shoot like a sniper shooting a reporter in the head. Yeah, that has press tracket on or whatever. I think it's completely it's just vile. Yeah, it's vile and normalized And I always plug this movie, and even though it's been a while since it's come out, I think it's a good example of just like how just what's the word I'm looking for? Like vile is not the the like evil enough to describe it. But Gaza Fights for Freedom is a film by activist Abby Martin and it's shot by cinematographers in Gaza or just like people that have cameras in Gaza, and like they put the footas together and you see IDF soldiers do heinous things like like it's like they're playing a video game, Like they shoot at someone and they're like, oh, I got them, Like yeah, they're like cheering and their whatever, and they're they're children, Like it's a lot of them are like the majority Palestinians at least in Gaza are children. Yeah, Like it's they're like below the age of like eighteen or something. So as we're talking talking about the stuff and you're hearing like they fired at your dad at close range or whatever. These are not icoate ad incident of anything. They're just like so normalized and unpunished that they just continue to happen totally, and it it just makes me so furious because I don't know, I'm someone I have a really hard time reading about Middle Eastern news personally like it used to, like I just especially after like the Syrian civil I didn't want to call it a civil war. It's like a fucking massacre. But it's like seeing photos of like children like that look like my cousins are like me. Not that they have to look like me, but it just like really fucked me up. Yeah, and it should fuck everyone up, is my thing. I would be fucked up just point blank with any kind like you know what I mean, Like it's not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you weren't like, oh whatever. I don't care about the Irish people when I was telling the Irish part of the story, yeah, like yeah, it's humans.
Speaker 2: But I think similar to like I think the vast majority of the world is accustomed to seeing certain types of people be killed on camera or have violence done against them, or the ways bring them on their dead bodies on shore, whatever it is. There, there's just like people of color, like specifically I'm talking about like black Americans and like Arabs and like anyone else that's like marginalized and like darker skinned. We're just so used to seeing them suffer, and it makes me so mad because it's the way it's normalized is just so evil. I don't know, there's there's no I don't have the vocabulary to actually explain just how angry I am. But I don't know, I don't know. I'm also say I'm gonna cry.
Speaker 1: No, I'm I agree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just makes me mad. Everything makes me mad. And Israel is the fucking just the stupidest excuse for or I don't know, any kind of quote unquote democracy like or whatever they want to call it. It's just like this, just like our police, like they're all held accountable for anything, and they're not gonna stop until someone does something, and they probably won't. And so it's just like you have these Palestinians that like literally are like you don't have PTSD is something that like, oh, it can happen to you sometimes if like you are taken out of the context that you gave you that PTSD. They did a study and I'm misquoting it probably, but like the vast majority of Palestinian children are stuck in the state of PTSD because they're just used to the terror and yeah and violence that they have always known. And will only probably ever know and in their lifetime. And that makes me really fucking upset, because yeah, because it just should and whatever. Okay, I'm done. I'm really sorry.
Speaker 1: No, I literally why. I'm glad you're the guest.
Speaker 2: I'm not sweaty now me and I'm also sweaty because it's hot, that's the only reason. But I'm just angry and sweaty, and it's really easy for me to feel helpless. I think it's probably the same for a lot of people. It's like, well, what can we do? And I think like you talking about it is making a difference, Like me having episodes that I could happen here is helping people be aware just how not okay it is or just how the media has presented it to be in a different way. I think that is a great starting point. And with time, over these like decades, I guess, or even just like the past like ten years, it has become more acceptable to vocally support Palestine. It hasn't become like great, but it's become more acceptable to even like broach that subject when it comes to like celebrities and stuff. And I think that's a little baby step that makes me hopeful and we're so off topic now, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 1: I'm just mad. I mean, I think about, Okay, I think about how it was eight hundred or nine hundred years after the first time that England colonized Ireland, before Ireland won something like independence, and Ireland is still fighting for independence, right, coming on a thousand years into colonization. And it gives me hope for the indigenous communities of North America who are also living in a settler state. The United States is a settler state. It gives me hope that decolonization is possible. And I think thinking about it's like they want to normalize stuff, and denormalizing it, I think is so important. And I think that what happens, yeah, what happens to the Palestinian people is normalized, and we need to stop that, you know, and like not to be like, oh, don't worry another eight hundred years. No, no, no, I know what you're saying, but like, but it is a it isn't.
Speaker 2: A sliver of hope. No, you're right, it's it's yeah. I think the last thing I'll say before you continue, and I will let you continue, I swear, but we talk about shame, right and how hunger strikes are supposed to will the captors or the the oppressors into feeling so shameful that they change what they're doing. I think, especially now with all the videos and cameras and iPhone footage and everything else that's accessible that like actually portray the IDF doing disgusting things, they don't have any shame. They're past that. I really think there are some are, So go ahead, sorry.
Speaker 1: I feel shame. No, sorry, I'm sorry, I'm totally interrupting you.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I was kind of just sorry to ramble. I think there's there're an example of a body that has held so has been not held accountable at all to the point where like shame is not even even crosses their mind. Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: No, totally, But and I think that it's like it's less that the person will feel shame and more that they will be shamed, right, yes, yeah. And actually, to bring it back to the last example, the last hunger striker I'm gona talk about is actually the reason I did this whole fucking Okay, yeah, week's episode, and it's going to come back to this. I apologize, No, no, I don't. There's a man named a Kadira Non and he was a militant Palestinian activist. He was born in the West Bank, where he owned a bakery and a produce store. In the early two thousands, he served as the spokesperson for a group called the Palestinian Islamic Jihad the PIJ. This is one of the most militant Palestinian liberal liberation organizations, and so he's conflated with them for some good reason and some other reasons we're going to talk about that are not good. So I'll talk about them really quickly, and if you have more context on them, please inform me. But Palestinian Islamic Jahad is fighting not for a two state solution, but for the return of Palestine and the end of the State of Israel to how it was before nineteen forty eight. Quote one of their founders quote, I will never under any conditions except the existence of the State of Israel. I have no problem living with Jewish people. We have lived together in peace for centuries. However, the PIJ uses suicide bombs against civilians as part of their tactics to achieve that if there's an organization in Palestine that might earn the label terrorist. It is likely the PIJ. That is my impression from my reading of this. Kadir Adnan left the PIJ, at least according to his wife, and this is not contradicted successfully anywhere that I've seen. He left in two thousand and seven, so sixteen years ago. He was arrested again and again without charges or trial for his affiliation with the PIJ. One thing about arresting people without charges or evidence. It sure makes it hard to prove to the world that your arrests are justified, since your whole thing is that you don't bother justifying it. So Israel's like, oh, he arrest him because with the PIJ, they do not present evidence that he was part of the PIJ, post his choosing to leave it around two thousand and seven. He was never charged with any attacks by Israel, and he was a member of the Palestinian Reconciliation Committee. Israel never bothered trying to find out if he'd done anything illegal. They would just arrest him again and again. At the start of twenty twenty three, he was on his twelfth arrest by Israel and his fifth hunger strike. His longest had been in twenty fifteen, when he was protesting his evidence less arrest, and that time his strike won him his freedom and an incredible amount of international attention from human rights groups. And so this is that kind of like Israel didn't feel any shame about this. They just wanted a fucking jail, right, But enough people were able to be like, what are you doing? And actually a lot of it. One of the articles I read basically was like Israel was afraid he'd become a Gandhi. Right, Israel was afraid he would become like the center of a I mean, the center of a non violence resistant movement that gains power and infendance. Like that's what they were afraid of. And so he won his freedom, but he continued to get arrested and continued to hunger strike over and over again because they just like see him and they'd be like, aha, they're come here, and you're fucking under arrest, you know. In February of this year, he was picked up again. He al most immediately started a hunger strike. He went without food for eighty seven days, and on May second, twenty twenty three, he died. He was forty five years old and he was a father of nine. His wife Ronda agh Non, I pronounced that wrong. I'm sorry. Ronda Non begged military not to launch any attacks in his name that would go against his spirit of non violent struggle. His death was met with a general strike in Palestine, again nice reminiscent of what happened during Bloody Sunday in Ireland as well. It was also met by munitions fired towards Israel. I believe it was like two rocket strikes and a mortar strike. This wounded three construction workers. Those rocket attacks, which were not nice, killed no one, and they were met with fighter jets bombing Gaza, killing thirteen people. And I think three wounded for thirteen dead is about the ratio. To understand the scale of violence between these two organizations. Right, most Western media, like literally, until I got deeper into it, every single article I read just referred to him as affiliated with the PIJ because he was the spokesperson for them sixteen years ago. And yeah, a reporter named Muhammad al Kik was held in twenty fifteen without trial or charges, and he hunger strike for ninety four days to gain his release. I think he lasted ninet four days because I think he was saying glucose water. I had this moment where I was like, wait, what, I've never read any anyway, only to be arrested once more in twenty seventeen. He is alive right now, he's survived. He was accused of working for Hamas, which not trying to specifically go to bat for Hamas. They're just a political party. Yeah, they were the majority. They were in charge for a long time. I think they're not currently in charge. I think Fatah's in charge right now. But so they accused him of being affiliated with the majority party of Palestinian politics. They didn't bother bringing any evidence against him that he was related to them. But Israel doesn't bother with legal proceedings, and the world is silent on Palestine. Western progressive are afraid it's too messy. Freedom fighters aren't always like cool socialists in Palestine. Although if you want, there's an Israeli group Anarchists against the Wall, that takes direct actions support a Palestinian struggle. So you just listen to the anarchists in that area, listen to what they have to say. Just support Palestine being opposed to Israeli's apartheid state is not anti Semitism. The people who claim that it is are trying to cover crimes against humanity. You don't have to support the actions of every rebel in order to support the underlying cause. And although plenty of people use their support, plenty of people do use their support of Palestine to mask anti Semitism. That is an actual thing, that is an actual problem, and those people's anti semitism should be opposed. They are distinct things. You can be against the IRA's love for car bombs and desire United Ireland. You can be against suicide bombings and support Palestinian independence. It's not that hard to be ethically consistent. Oppression is bad. Settler states are generally bad. Targeting civilians bad. There you go, right, People whose backs are against the wall will look for whatever weapons are available. Sometimes those weapons are hunger strikes. Sometimes people starve to death on the king's threshold, not to change the king's mind, but to curse his memory. And please don't go watering down this tactic by like deciding your hunger striking for the end of capitalism or something. Hunger strikes are specific tools used by people in specific situations. Thanks, that's my end rant.
Speaker 2: That was worded really well. I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Thanks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think I was thinking about, well, you don't need anything for a hunger strike, I think is what is important to remember. Like when a prisoner has no other recourse and literally nothing else to protest with but their body, that's when that comes in. I think, because like this is my last attempt to I don't know. I think it's actually a really scary, sad thing to have to come to that point, and that just shows you how how much that cause is important and necessary.
Speaker 3: You know what.
Speaker 2: I mean that I could push someone to that place, and I think it's it's it's what you said was really important about you don't have to support every rebel to support the underlying cause. I think it's really important to remember. I think remembering that anti Zionism is not anti Semitism. It's really important to remember. And yeah, I don't know, this was a I hope this was ago. He's an episode minus my my tangents. But I think all of my tangents are just me trying to to relay that what's happening in Palestine is not okay. I personally don't even like to call it Israel. Maybe that is like a hot take. I don't know if I care. It's Palestine, wilwas be Palestine, and I think no one is not okay and making sure everyone else knows it's not okay. I think it's the bare minimum that anyone should do, and regardless of what you think, there should be no excuse or justification for I know this doesn't mean anything, but like all the crimes against humanity and like literal ethnic cleansing and genocide and massacres that have and I don't think there's anything that can justify that, and there shouldn't be in anyone's mind if there is, that sounds like a you problem, examply yourself. I don't know, go to therapy, but you know what I mean. I appreciate you doing this episode and having me on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks, thanks for being on. I've wanted to talk about some of these issues for a long time, and I haven't. I mean, honestly, I've been nervous to it right because I'm like, because one, I want to do it right, and also because it's a thing that like, I mean, I remember when I was first getting into politics, you know, as nineteen or something, and I believed what I had been told which was, oh, it's messy, You're like, oh, both sides, I don't know, you know, was like what I had grown up with, and meeting people who were able to like sit me down and be like, it's not a samey, samey. You know, there are things that both sides are doing are bad and they don't compare, and comparing them serves a specific narrative, and I really appreciate the people who took the time to talk to me about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a depressor and the oppressed. At the end of the day, there's nothing but those can never.
Speaker 1: Be equated in my opinion. So yeah, but yeah, I think.
Speaker 2: Hopefully this was educational for people, and I appreciate that you want to talk about it. I mean, I understand that it's nerve wracking because it's it is for me too every time I talk about it. Not every time, but there's always backlash when I criticize I and as something particular or the state of Israel. Already think I do have this bit I used to do, not recently on Twitter, but I used to just like make fun of the IDF because I would quote tweet them and just like make fun of them. And that was really fun for me. But I got that. I got yeah, just like they have the dumbest, most like lying tweets of like this person and this Palestinian kid is shaking the hands of an IDF soldier and I'm like, that's no. Uh so every once in a while I would do that. But I actually don't have an end to the sentence. I don't even know how it started. But I appreciate you, and I will stop talking now.
Speaker 1: All right, well, but now I'm about to ask you a question.
Speaker 2: Oh no, okay, where.
Speaker 1: Can people find you? Oh hear more of your hot takes or podcast stuff?
Speaker 2: Maybe this will motivate me to go drag the IDF Twitter again. But my Twitter is a Shiro Hero sixty sixty six and my Instagram is shiro Hero. Yeah, fuck the IDF and fuck Israel and all the good stuff. I think there are plenty of resources and videos in particular that you can watch if you do want to learn more about what the IDEF is doing, or like how exactly like like western like American and European settlers literally just like take a Palestinian families home and that they're just like from fucking New York or some shit and they have the ability to do that versus like I have palaestin your friends that their families literally cannot go back there. And I think as you learn more about Palestine, if you choose to which I encourage you to do, you'll realize just how deep and it's insidious it is. And maybe that'll make you angry enough like it does to me, to just like not shut up about it. Uh. So that's where you can find me, and I will be motivated now to go drag the IDF. So stay tuned for that excellent.
Speaker 1: Uh. If you want to argue with me about my day, I'll be at the Anarchist Book Fair in Asheville, North Carolina, and I won't engage because I don't want to argue about it. I actually really dislike arguing about politics with people because usually we don't change each other's minds. Yeah, yeah, that makes sense, but it is From August eleventh, thirteenth, I want to say, you'd think i'd know. In Asheville, North Carolina, I will be presenting a lecture called a Halfway Concise History of Anarchism. I will be playing as Nomadic war machine. If you want to hear my band Nomadic war Machine. It's Nomadicwarmachine dot bandcamp dot com. And if you want to hear these episodes where instead of cutting to ads, it's just weird, awkward ad transitions and then us immediately coming back, it's like the best of both worlds. It's Cooler Zone Media and you can subscribe to it on Apple Podcasts and eventually you'll be able to subscribe to it on Android. See you next week.
Speaker 3: Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonmedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.