Speaker 1: This is the most dramatic podcast ever and iHeartRadio podcast. Chris Harrison and Lauren Zema coming to you from the home office in Austin, Texas. Hope everybody's having a great week. Elsie and I were discussing the other day first dates.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think we had talked about our first anniversary, and then that brings up your first date. And you know, first dates are a big thing, Like before you're married, what do you celebrate. You celebrate the anniversary of probably your first date. Right. It's something that if you end up in a long relationship with someone, I think that first date is often burned in your brain, hopefully in a good way.
Speaker 1: But we've also had discussions because a friend's family that go on these first dates, and what God is talking about it in general is the yes, that first date's important, but also, and you talk about this all the time, it can't mean everything. You can't put so much weight on the first date that it determines your entire life together.
Speaker 2: People who pass by someone because of the first date. I agree. So we wanted to get into navigating a first date, and I think that's a great place to begin about that beginner date. I think the first date cannot mean everything. It's great if it goes well. But what I usually advise people is a first date's kind of like a job interview. I think you know you're hoping to get to the next round. You're hoping was this good enough? I'll to get to the next round of interviews. And I think that everybody's nervous. So you have to give people a little bit of grace with that, and maybe if someone says something that's not quite perfect, or maybe if you're not totally sure about this part of their personality, give them a little slack on that. That's my opinion. But am I being too lenient? What do you think? No?
Speaker 1: I was going to put it into sports terms because you love that, which I did a lot on our first date.
Speaker 3: You didn't.
Speaker 1: I I got lucky on that. But no, it's like the beginning of a season, right, You've been to training camp and all that stuff. The first game you play is not the best. You don't come out game one of a season and we are the best we're ever going to be. You improve, you get better, you grow as a team, you learn each other's idiosyncrasies, and so the point being first dates are a difficult ground to cover, and by the way, it plays into some people's strengths. You and I are good talkers, we're pretty good communicators. But I would say, and I'm going to ask you, scale of one to ten, rate our first date.
Speaker 2: Whoa I would have given you? If I called my friends the next day, I would have said eight out of ten.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's higher than I thought. I thought I was going to get a seven.
Speaker 2: No, why why did you think that seven?
Speaker 1: By the way, seven is great. I had c's c's get degrees.
Speaker 2: Let me let me be arrogant about myself right now. I would have said, overall date eight out of ten, my performance on date ten out of ten.
Speaker 1: Your performance, No, No, honestly you this is this is why you get an as you get a nine out of ten because because then so you.
Speaker 2: Said, yes, professor, Yes.
Speaker 1: One of my drawbacks on our first date was that I quote unquote talked too much.
Speaker 2: That's why I gave you the eight out of ten. I thought that you talked a lot.
Speaker 1: Yes, but I would say you get a nine out of ten because you never stopped asking questions.
Speaker 2: So I asked him any questions, so you didn't leave.
Speaker 1: Any air in the room. And you You can do this at times when we get around people and you feel like because you feel the pressure of carrying a moment in a situation.
Speaker 2: I totally do. I wherever we are, always I feel the overall burden of how is this night going for everybody? I don't know what that is in me. It's an inner thing I have where I want everyone to be having fun. I want the party to be going well, even if it's not my party or dinner or anything. I feel the social pressure of the tone of the events.
Speaker 1: Okay, but you just made a great point for a first date Mulligan, which is a gimme, which is okay if I had just stopped on date one and said, wow, she really asked a lot of questions and she kind of kept talking and she never really gave me. And now the reason why you do that is something I find very endearing. You care so much about everybody's time. You want everyone to have the best time all the time. So you are the as Larry David would say, you're the ultimate middle. You want Lauren Zim at the middle of the table because she is going to be the vibe. Now, I wouldn't have known that on date one. It was just something I noticed.
Speaker 2: So, if you're putting yourself truly in that moment, what would you have given me? And Okay, you feel like I asked a lot of questions, Well, you asked a lot of questions, but were very loving, caring given yourself. I would have given myself. I would say seven seven and a half. I don't know, I don't I'm I'm not as good as you in those moments like first dates are.
Speaker 1: Here's here's why. If I go back to that moment, I think there's a little trepidation. I was still nervous dating. You were nervous in public because you know, host of The Bachelor and he's hosting a dating show, and so I was careful about where we went because I didn't want all the prying eyes and anyone taking pictures of ow he's on the dating scene. So I was like, Okay, if I take this beautiful woman out, but we go to a very public place where a lot of people in the in the industry are going, They're like, oh, he's with this reporter from entertainment tonight. Who cares?
Speaker 2: That's not crazy. It just ran into hot dating tip is make it look like it's not a date.
Speaker 1: In my situations, because I also didn't want that onus on you, but that's why.
Speaker 2: But look what we're both analyzing each other for the asking too many questions or the talking too much. I do think that leads to something that I think is a critical point, a critical must do on a first date. You better ask some questions and it needs that's the thing. It needs to go both ways. That is always And maybe I did too much, but that is a major read for me on a first date, in a first hang out with someone, did they ask me any questions at all about myself? If not, I'm like, well, what are we doing here? Obviously you don't really care about getting to know me, so why would we.
Speaker 1: Move forward and then go further and actually listen to the answers m hm and follow up? Because oftentimes, and guys, I'm going to put you out there oftentimes what guys will do as well. I'm proud of myself. I asked a question and as soon as Lauren says something about Missouri, I'm like, oh, I went to Missouri and I did this and I and you immediately tell a story about yourself and that's a OK. But maybe just hold a finger up or like clench your fist to remember that you want to tell that story, but follow up with well, what was it like at miszoo or you know, follow up and ask her a other in depth question. Don't immediately go back to a story about yourself.
Speaker 2: I think you're so right. A lot of people make the mistake of sharing about themselves and thinking that that is relatable and that that's connective to another person. But it's not. And you should, I mean, we should all be vulnerable and share. But you're so right. Ask a follow up question, then share your story. That's a kind of a good basic rule. Ask question, ask, follow up, share story.
Speaker 1: Even if you said, you know, if you would let me know that you lost your dad on our first date, which you didn't, but if you did, instead of saying, oh, I lost my dad too, and just say, you can mention oh I lost my dad did.
Speaker 2: What was that like for you?
Speaker 1: What was it like for you or how did you deal with that or how did you work with your siblings or whatever it is, But just think about your story and just kind of put that to the side. You can come back to it.
Speaker 2: I like our new rule, last question, ask follow up, share story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a very tough thing, and I think men do it more than women. And I think the reasons diving into a story about themselves just because they're typically you don't think so.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I've noticed that. To be honest, I think it's more of a personality trait versus a gender thing. Like some people are just like that, And I actually think a lot of the time it comes from people being insecure and not knowing how to socially navigate or and it's like, doesn't necessarily mean that they're self involved. It's just something they need to work on and readjust so that's why we're talking about it here now.
Speaker 1: Rule one. For sure, get excited, be happy about it, but don't put so much weight on this date that it has to mean everything.
Speaker 2: Well, look, we say first impressions are everything. That's a phrase we all say, right, But I think that that phrase is coming from a place of take a first impression. Seriously, that's really what that phrase is trying to convey. I don't think first impressions should be everything. I think everybody should get a second chance, you know, I mean, I've had some people who have made some disastrous first impressions on me. You know, met someone at a party and they were wasted. I'm not going to hold that against them. I'll meet them again. And you know, everybody deserves a second shot.
Speaker 1: I mean, honestly, if I didn't get a second shot, I wouldn't have been the host of the Bachelor for twenty years. I had a horrible first date. I had a terrible first impression.
Speaker 2: What your first audition.
Speaker 1: I didn't audition, I just had an interview and I went in and it was like a first date, right, You're sitting down with the creator of the show and executives, and it was a disaster. I was horrible. I was terrible in the room. They were terrible in the room. We hated each other. But I came back and I was more myself, and we obviously had a pretty good marriage for twenty years.
Speaker 2: But by the way, why do you think you got a second shot?
Speaker 1: They had heard somebody had heard and I you know, look, they all took credit for it later of whose idea this was. But they went out to somebody else and actually were in negotiations with somebody else, and then they called me and said they want to meet with you again. I said, why it was such a disaster. Our first date was a mess that it was, I mean, oil and water just didn't mix. And I went back in for the second interview and they said, look, you are terrible in our first interview, but we hear you're a good guy. Let's do this again. And they all, you know, through the years, took credit for I was the one that stood up for you because I heard and knew it. But I'll never get to the bottom of what really happened. But I did get that second first date. And I think the maybe the better line is you know how you never get a second chance to make a first impression. That's true, but that first impression doesn't have to mean everything, and so I think, maybe, look, you're always going to have that first impression. I left that first impression on everybody when I went in for that interview. I left that first impression on you. But if you had said, god, he just I don't know, man, he talked too much. I'm never going to see him again. What a horrible like miss that would have been.
Speaker 2: Totally and here's the indicator, right, if you wanted to play a numbers game with it. Since we're ranking, I would say, if you have about a I would even go as low as a seven out of ten for the date. Give someone a second chance another date six and below. I don't know. I mean, I'm not sitting here telling everybody. If you go on a first date and you agree on nothing and you have completely different views of the world and you're not from the same place and you didn't connect, of course you shouldn't give that person a second chance. But if it was just one or two things, you know, like truly with us, I thought, gosh, we have a lot in common, and I think he's really smart, and I think he's really polite and gentlemanly and kind. He talked a little too much, But in my head, I went, well, maybe he was nervous. You know, approach it like a human ask yourself. First dates are nerve wracking. Was this person nervous? Maybe he was tired, maybe at a crazy busy day. You know, you've got to like have a human factor when you're considering would I take go on that second date?
Speaker 1: And what is the worst thing that happens again? If they were offensive, like, don't put yourself out there to have another horrible, offensive experience. But what's the worst thing if you thought, ah, there's potential there, maybe so have a second date, and then you can say Nope, I was wrong, or wow, that really opened my eyes to something that could be pretty beautiful. By our second date, we were often running. I think totally we are. The first date was not awkward at all. It wasn't bad at all. Again, I you know, sees get degrees, sees get dates, sees got me the sea, got me a second get a second date, see get dates. But I think I agree. If if you are going to rank a date, and maybe that's a good formula, go home, and it's what you would tell your dearest friend, your mom, whatever, your sister. And if you said, all right, babe, rank this, and if you say seven, seven and a half eight, but this give to give it another chance. And what's the worst thing that happens is you have a second dinner and you don't or to dessert, You go home and you don't talk to him again.
Speaker 2: So I think we need to dive into importantly how to do a first date, though, or we're telling people a lot how to judge whether to have a second date. I think there are some key factors in how to approach a first date. Well one, be excited, show up excited. You know nobody wants to feel like you don't want to be there. Be excited even if you're not sure, even if you're questioning it. Otherwise, why are you wasting everyone's time? Go in with energy and being open.
Speaker 1: Two And by the way, can I just hit one point on that that goes to literally getting out of the car. The moment you get out of a car, your body language, your look, the smile on your face. If you walk in past the hostess, Stan and I'm sitting at the bar, your shoulders are slumped and you've got this look on your face and you're kind of looking around. Walk in and guys, this goes for you too. Walk in, shoulders up back, looking strong, looking confident, looking happy, looking excited that you're in this moment. That body language goes a long way the moment you walk in a room.
Speaker 2: Have you had some bad body language on first dates? It sounds like you have. What happened to you?
Speaker 1: I mean, I think of I don't know why the pig pin, you know of the Peanuts character I've just kind of had his shoulders down. There's this dirty were dirty. But yeah, that's it's an exaggeration. But yeah, I've had people where I've been sitting at a bar.
Speaker 2: Number too.
Speaker 1: No, I've had people where I'm sitting at a bar and I look up and I think, this is the person who I'm going on a date with. I went on a couple of blind dates where I didn't know the person, and I see this person walk by the hostess and they kind of I don't see them have a good exchange with the hostess, right, they don't stop and smile and look my way and and give you that wave of like I'm so excited to be there. It's just kind of like an f you to the hostess. As they walk by, they're looking on their phone, finishing up a text message kind of, and then they kind of annoyingly look around the room of like you're the next thing on my to do list. And it just immediately gives you a vibe. Whether you think about it or not, it inherently.
Speaker 2: Gives you a vibe totally.
Speaker 1: And that's how it starts.
Speaker 2: I want to meet someone who has a smile on their face and goes in for a polite hug and is excited.
Speaker 1: You did that. You gave a great vibe when you walked.
Speaker 2: Into it first. Yeah, oh my gosh, I don't remember.
Speaker 1: You were just and I and again, it was kind of weird because it was our first date, but I also knew you and I actually had seen you earlier in the day at a charity event that you were covered and I loved you were.
Speaker 2: Like texting me saying that you you even wanted to move the time up of the date, and I really liked that. I couldn't because I'm like, I got to go home and get ready hello, But you made me feel like you were excited, and that was, yeah, exactly what we're talking about. And probably what I remember is your politeness. I mean that would maybe be number one energy, Number two politeness and decorum, Like you just mentioned someone being rude to a server, be kind of servers, be kind to everyone, and just be polite. I remember disposition, don't fake it. But I remember so distinctly how much of a gentleman you were with pulling the chair out for me and opening card every door. And yeah, that one hundred percent me a good first impression.
Speaker 4: On me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so as you enter the room, that was number That was number one.
Speaker 2: Be energetic from the get go. Be polite from the get go. Ask questions, even if you're nervous. We already talked about this, but just ask some questions of that person. Try to get to know them. I would say my fourth tip, don't take it all too seriously. I know people who I think that they are struggling and dating because they're acting like, you know, this is everything, and well I'm trying to find a husband, or I'm trying to and you know, well I only have so much time and I've got to fit this into my schedule, and or they're afraid of rejection, so they take it too seriously. Don't take it too seriously. What I always say is, hey, it's more for the memoir. If a date goes really poorly, well you got a great story out of it, maybe went to a great restaurant. What's the big deal. And I think that dating is like practice is important practice, you know. I would always in the past when I was dating, I would look at every potential bad date as like, well, that just kind of helped me work my muscles and potentially find the right person.
Speaker 1: You can't do everything all at once. And that's why the first date can't mean everything all at once. And I hate to do this again, but I can't. I was trying to rack my brain with another analogy, and all I know is the sports.
Speaker 2: Finaculary's okay, honey, I love you, We're Mary. You can talk about sports.
Speaker 1: One thing that coaches, good coaches will tell you. It's like, say you get down in a game and you have to score a few times, Like, you can't do it all in one play. If you're down by ten, you can't score one basket work ten points. You can't score touchdown, we're ten points. You can't score one goal that'll get you ten points, meaning one play at a time, one day at a time, one date at a time. Let it progress naturally. You can't get married. I mean you can if you're in Vegas. But you can't get married, have children, and fulfill your entire life's goals in one date. So why would you put that much pressure on that one date? Sure, get excited about what could be, that's all fun, But putting that much pressure on not only yourself but the person you're meeting. My God, let you know, they're not able to make a mistake, they're not able to be goofy, they're not able to you know, overcome something. So I think making everything matter so much is difficult. Don't dampen your excitement, but give yourself a break.
Speaker 2: Totally and like you like you were just something you just said. When people say like, ooh, that gave me the icky, I don't know. I don't. I think you can't judge too hard on a first date with that stuff. Like I mean, we're all being so crazy nowadays with like the oh, I'm trying to think of a good example, like he wore a cart again and that gave me the ick. It's like what you know what I'm.
Speaker 1: Saying, Yeah, sure, nobody wants this. Just did a whole episode on this where uh is it Adrian Brody? Am I getting that right?
Speaker 2: No, the Rabbi, not Adrian Brody, Adam Brody.
Speaker 1: Adam Brody got yes, Adam Brody did something and her sister pulled her asides like I just saw that, Like what are you talking about? It's like he just like he's he gave it. He gave a really bad Italian accent because he brought in like a tie feet or something like that, and so he said something and her sister was like, oh, I saw that, you just got the ick. And it's so he says, like, you're right, I got to break up with him, and they didn't. And that was the whole point of that episode was come on, like, even if someone gives you the ick, supposedly something that's a big turn off unless it's something insane, a lot.
Speaker 2: Of these things can be fit. Let's remember that, everybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he put the blazer on, uh to and to talk to his parents and to impress them. He came in with these big thing of flowers and had his blazers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got it because he put on a jacket.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, come on, and remember when you're dating someone, what things are potentially changeable. And I'm being really serious about that. I'm saying like, like I do think that people are very they can get really extreme too with like, well, this is how they are, and people don't change and it really depends on the thing. To me, it depends on the factor, Like I don't know. I would say that I think you've become a more organized person since we've been together. Oh, I would say tenfold, like your house. When we first moved in together, I would open a cabinet and things would spill out. You've become a much more organized.
Speaker 1: I had a full bacheler Pat. I had been single for about a decade and so I was a single dad, and so I would say, and I hopefully you'll back me up with this. My house was very tidy and very clean because I'm a very clean person, but I'm not an organized It just.
Speaker 2: Tidy at first sight. If every any door you opened.
Speaker 1: Its dirt, it was dirty.
Speaker 2: Well that's what I'm saying. It clean, not organized, clean, not organized. And I think would say that I've changed for you. Yeah, it has bled off from I do.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: I was just going to wow. I was actually just going to say, I do think even though it's I'm never going to be perfect, do you think got more timely for you? Yes? Thank you. Number five, I will say, I don't think you should bring up really controversial topics on a first date. I do think again, just like a job interview, and maybe people disagree with on this, I don't know. You tell me like, on the one hand, of course, you want to get into like are you guys a good match. You have to have things in common. I think that's the biggest thing. Let me say it for the record. I don't believe in the opposites attract philosophy. Maybe opposites attract, but do opposite stay together if you're looking for someone you really want to stay together with in life. I do think overall you have to have pretty similar morals worldviews. You can disagree, but if you want to enjoy your life, find someone who likes to live similarly to you. Now, I'm not saying, you know, do you want to like figure out are we similar people? Overall? Sure? But I don't know if on a first date you want to dive into like, you know, heavily political thing.
Speaker 1: Let's say after this latest election, it's it was on November fifth. Let's say you had gone on a first date on No. Six, November six or seven? Yeah, wow, crazy week?
Speaker 2: Huh?
Speaker 1: Or wow?
Speaker 4: Good?
Speaker 1: You know, like what would you would you just ignore it? Would you?
Speaker 2: You know what I would do because of the timeliness. I would bring it up in a lighthearted way. I really would like. I think I'd be like, so should we talk about the election? Because it's like just last night? So I think I would. Yeah, you're right, I would. And like I said, maybe I could be wrong about this. I don't know. What do you think would you bring up like big controversial things on a first time.
Speaker 1: But you know, it's interesting too. If I think you allow a conversation to just go, I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't really believe. In the heart, I wouldn't avoid it. I wouldn't say we can't talk about it.
Speaker 1: I don't believe in hard fast rules. But if all of a sudden, you know, let's say, because one of my big things about when you walk into a room or walk up to the bar or whatever, and you sit down, do not put your phone on the table, do not have your phone, put your phone away, and let's say, unless there is a dire need for it, in which case explain, hey, I just have to leave my phone out because just in case the babysitter calls, Oh you have kids? Yeah, oh how many kids too? Okay, that and then that's an okay way to get into something. You know, if the conversation naturally led us into that, Okay, great, that's that's fine. But I wouldn't sit down and in one of the first questions like, so do you want kids? So it's all in how you get there.
Speaker 2: Well, we're talking kind of talking about two different things. One is like the bringing up And I wanted to ask you this, do you bring up like your major goals in life? I want to get married, I want to have kids. I have a timeline for this. Do you bring that stuff up on the first date? And I wanted to ask you that now, but I was kind of referring more to like like, I don't think I would go maybe if the election had just happened and it's the next night. Sure, it almost feels weird to not talk about it and just and you don't want to be unnatural, But would I sit down on a first date with someone and say, well, how do you feel about the Israel Palestine situation?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: I don't think I would do that. And it's not because I don't want to know their feelings. It's just because, again, this is a first date and there's I think there's already so many other factors, your nerves. You don't know anything about each other, so much like let's get to know the basics and let's ease into those.
Speaker 1: Things you're putting the cart before the horse or those situations. Get to know and see if you like the person. Once you like the person, date.
Speaker 2: And you might disagree. I think that people can be in relationships and disagree on things, obviously, But but it's just I think you're setting a barrier for you. You're you're building a wall that you're going to have to climb over if you don't get to know each other before getting to know all of each other's opinions.
Speaker 1: And if you're asking good questions and you're listening and you're following up, you're probably going to discern, for the most part, some of the answers to those questions that you want to get to later.
Speaker 2: Read the room. Okay, so let's go to what you just said, because I asked, do you bring up marriage, kids, all that, and you said a definitive no.
Speaker 1: I don't think. And again, I think you can talk about things in life and you know, maybe something slips out of like oh you were married before, No, yes, you know. It's like, so I think you can get into some of these conversations.
Speaker 2: That's interesting because on our first date, we talked about whether we wanted to get married again. We talked about moving to Texas one day, like we did.
Speaker 1: We were take. I think you got to take, you know, Ciskel and Ebert or I guess Barbara Walters and Tom brokaw out of this because we both know if.
Speaker 2: All those questions of you, you might have brought some of that stuff up. We and granted we knew each other professionally, so we weren't total.
Speaker 1: We didn't know each other, Yeah, we weren't. We weren't on this like blind date per se. So I feel like we had had good conversations, we had talked, we had texted, talked on the phone, and so it was I felt like it naturally progressed. I don't think there was anything jarring.
Speaker 2: No on our foot, That's what I mean. So I'm interested in why you're like, here's what the maybe caveat. I'll give how I feel and tell me if you agree. I do think life place matters, Like if you're twenty five and you're just starting to date, although I don't know, maybe at twenty five you really want to get married. I do think it depends on like how important all those things are to you. Like I also think if you're in your forties and you're both divorced, Like marriage is just going to come up more naturally, and that's okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. And where you meet and how you meet. Right, if you're meeting off of hinge or something and you're going on this first date and you're meeting at a bar and you're just figuring out literally who the person is as they walk in, as opposed to you've been working with this person for a couple of years. You're going on a first date. You're taking this relationship to the next level. You go to church or temple together, and you're like decide to so like you It depends on if you already know a little something.
Speaker 2: About Yeah, And I don't think any of these are like hard and fast rules. I'm not and to ay, if you want to bring up kind of again, if those controversial topics come up naturally, okay, get into it. If marriage and kids and stuff comes up, and or you really want to bring it up, okay. I think a lot of it is how you bring it up. I think probably some people make the mistake of sitting down at a first hit and going, well, so do you want kids, and it's like whoa you know, versus letting that conversation happen.
Speaker 1: Or even stamping it with such a.
Speaker 2: Like if you don't want kids, I'm out here because exactly now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, giving it such a statement and you're directing it in a box, there's nowhere to go from there. If you sit down and you say, well, if you didn't vote for Kamala like this, this needs to be over. Or if you don't even this, yeah, this needs to be over. If you don't want to get married again, we're done. So if you stamp it with something that's just you can't come back from it. You're not giving that person any room to breathe in a conversation. So, yeah, there are ways to get about those conversations.
Speaker 2: Christy, can I pull you into this? I feel like we need one more opinion. I know you are you have a boyfriend. You guys have been together for a minute here, But when you were dating previous to this boyfriend, would you bring up or how would you feel if people brought up kind of serious topics or controversial things or big life things on a first date?
Speaker 3: I just I agree. I didn't bring it up.
Speaker 4: Okay, it was like it was definitely like a third or fourteen I don't want to understand if you're funny first, Like, so, if you're funny, can you make me laugh? Can you be in a room and not absorb all the air but kind of work yourself into it.
Speaker 2: I think you've nailed something so important, Chrissy. How many people do you know? I have so many friends who will go by this gauge. Well, I just kind of want to see if I could bring him to a party and if he could, like if I could leave him alone at a party, Like can you handle being around other people? Can you chat? Are you a fun person to be around? And I think that's such a smart first thing to assess about someone is just do I enjoy being around you? Because ultimately, all the stuff we're talking about, the tough stuff in life, the big stuff in life, you're gonna want a partner who you can laugh with and have fun with through all these big, stressful, tough life things.
Speaker 4: I think also too for me, Like trust has always been a big thing for me. So like, if I can let you loosen a room and I can trust you to go and be around but I know that we're going home together and where you come back and you check in on me, that's a.
Speaker 3: Big one for me.
Speaker 2: Agree. Oh my gosh, Chrissy. That was something that when Chris and I we drove to our first date separately, which I do think I recommend be safe out there, but I don't get used to that. Hey, I kind of knew him be for all I know, he's a celebrity psychopath. I have no idea. I was fully on guard even at the beginning. Hollywood's weird. But as we found out when he TechEd, But when we he texted me after and said, Hey, I just want to tell you it's such a great time tonight and I just wanted to make sure you made it home okay. And that made a huge difference for me, just that he was checking on me and.
Speaker 1: One of the things you and I love. And it wasn't as much about the trust that Chrissy was mentioning. It was more about being able to not have to babysit each other. You and I both go into situations where you have to work a room, or you're going to a board meeting and you're at a cocktail event, or I'm at a social event and I need to know that you're okay without taking Well, then let me ask you to stop, and so it's nice to know. I can just see you across the room. We look at each other, I'm like, oh, she's got this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but is that like a second date thing? Let me ask both.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not a first date thing.
Speaker 2: Okay, well that's what I wanted. What is why we're going to wrap up here? But on the note of first dates, what are good locations for first dates? Christy, what do you think?
Speaker 3: I'm me at my boyfriend at bar trivia?
Speaker 2: Oh? Fun? But like you just met at him there or that was your intentional first date?
Speaker 3: No, we like just met there.
Speaker 4: We ended up on a team together, just like from mutual friends, and we just met there. But doing something like that, like you know, like a bar bingo, a bar trivia, like a karaoke or something, you're going into a situation where you know you're going to be surrounded by people who like doing the same things that you.
Speaker 3: Like to do.
Speaker 1: And it's good because you have an activity, but it's not an activity that will preclude you from talking.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't think you can do a movie on a first date, right because first date movie silence so weird.
Speaker 1: And we're going to a play or it's.
Speaker 2: Like I'm round in the dark with this person who I don't know, but.
Speaker 1: I do like like Christy's saying, you know, like karaoke is actually very interesting because most people really suck at it, but it's interesting is this person mean, are they cutting everybody down? Or are they leaning into it and having a good time. You get to kind of see someone's personality. But it is good to have an activity, but it's not an activity that will preclude you from talking, because that does need to be the major activity of your first aid is getting to know each other.
Speaker 2: I think great first date is I'm actually not a big meat for coffee because it feels so like formal and not. It feels like a business meeting to me.
Speaker 1: It feels informal to me. It feels so timed, like we're going to be here for fifteen.
Speaker 2: Minutes exactly, and it's like during the day. It's not sexy. I don't love that. I like a meat for a drink, and you don't have to be a drinker. You can get a mocktail, get whatever. But I like an early evening meetup. I think that's a little less casual than a full dinner. You know, if you're having a great time, you can turn it into dinner.
Speaker 1: I want to put effort in and I want you to put effort into seeing me. Yeah, how do you want me to see you?
Speaker 2: Like get dressed up for the day?
Speaker 1: How are you putting on, doing your hair, doing a little makeup, but note a.
Speaker 2: Nice not pig penning it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah exactly, And like same thing for me. It's like did he put on a jacket? Did he you know, dress nicely? Whatever? You know, It's like, how how do you want to be presenting yourself?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: That matters to me.
Speaker 2: And I don't think dinner's bad. I think you can totally do a first dinner date. And then that's a really good way to like see someone's effort. Did you know how much effort did they put into picking the place and that? And what kind of place did they pick? What are they into? But I also do like I think things what you mentioned, Chrissy is great, Like something that's kind of social and fun can be a great way to get a read on someone. How do they do in a group situation? How do they do with other people? The only caveat I would say, I think sometimes people and this is a bad way to go. Will bring someone around their group of friends really early as kind of this test, and I don't think that, like it can go really great, but it feels like not fair and it feels like too much of a test, and some people get really nervous in those situations.
Speaker 1: But it feels like such a make or break moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like bring someone to like, yeah, a trivia and I could be fun because you're just around other people, but I wouldn't be like, You're gonna come on my trivia team with all my very best friends from high school who I've known forever and we have all these inside jokes. Now I'm gonna see how you vibe. Yeah, it feels like on a first date. Yeah wow.
Speaker 4: I also like a first date that's like an activity that like where you don't have to dress up. Yeah, let's go for let's go rafting. Let's go like let's get on your raft or let's go for a hike or something like let me see you dirty and sluttie, where you're.
Speaker 1: Not pretending to Christ's like let's put him on the Bachelor. Oh, it's like let's go on a hot air balloon or let's go let's throw them off a building and go bungee jump in.
Speaker 2: That's interesting though, because Chrissy's saying something totally different than us, and maybe what that speaks to is like do you know, well, let me ask you this, Chrissy, are you looking about to do you think that you have to like be aware that a person's into that or is it almost like, Hey, I like hiking and I got to see if you can vibe or would you like sess them out first and be like are you in a hiking? Is this a good idea?
Speaker 4: I think that like when you're doing something like that, it's very raw and that like I've had I lived in La long enough to know and have enough first dates to know that like the person showing up for my dinner in La in his nice suit jacket was really the guy who was home and like his you know, pajama pants on a regular basis interesting, like.
Speaker 3: They presented themselves in a way that wasn't who.
Speaker 2: They really liked.
Speaker 1: Two, Like if we had a nice first date after dinner whatever, be like Okay, now let's go to run in canyon and do the thing or whatever.
Speaker 2: Actually, I do think you and I went on a hike on one of our Like, we totally did, because we actually this. I don't think I've ever told this story a friend someone you remember this.
Speaker 1: We're trying to be secret.
Speaker 2: We're still secretive. And a friend saw you with me that it was so far away that they didn't know it was me, and they literally texted me and said, you won't believe this. I saw Chris Harrison on a date with someone earlier, but I could but they were like, but it was it was from far away. I don't know who it was, but like I was just like, yeah, weird, I don't know.
Speaker 3: It was crazy.
Speaker 2: And then we got scared of going on public. Okay, okay, gick greecap heres we quick recap. I think be energetic, be excited, as you noted right out the gate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, come in, come in hot, come in confident, come in happy.
Speaker 2: Come in polite. Number two, be kind, gentlemanly, put your phone away, be nice to servers, ask questions, Ask ask questions, ask a follow up, and then share a story about yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I also think be open. Don't judge somebody on these little tiny things. Be open, know that their nervous, be human.
Speaker 1: And again, the first date can't mean everything.
Speaker 2: It can't mean everything. If they get a seven out of ten or above, I'd say go for a second day.
Speaker 1: This can be the start of something beautiful, but it can't be your entire life into this one dinner or one coffee or one rafting trip with Chrissy.
Speaker 2: And I think stick to topics where you can just get to know them as a person before you get to know all their opinions on everything in the world. There you go, all right, Well this was great, Christy, Thanks you worked. You know what. I'll end this by saying I would always give a second date. Second date doesn't go great, I'd say you can be done.
Speaker 1: Thank you for the be minus B plus on our first date, and thank you for joining us. Always enjoy talking to you. We will do it again next time because we have a lot more to talk about. Thanks for listening. Follow us on Instagram at the most dramatic pod ever and make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. I'll talk to you next time.