Speaker 1: Now here's a highlight from Coast to Coast am on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: And we are back with Chris Styles, UFO research heer author. You know him for his tremendous work on the Shag Harbor UFO incident and co author of two books, Shag Harbor Incident or Sorry, two books, Dark Object with Don Ledger and Impact to Contact with Graham Simms. The new book is Sweep Clear five NATO's UFO encounter seven years earlier than Shag Harbor and about thirty miles away in Shellbourne, Nova Scotia. We had this incident during a NATO mission. Two divers in the water saw two craft at the bottom of the bay and to a number of beings in the water appeared to be working on the craft. So you met with one of the divers in Halifax. He wanted he got cold feet at one point wanted to cancel the interview, but went ahead. He told you what he saw. Was he emotional as he's telling you what he saw, I mean, pretty life altering encounter.
Speaker 3: I would say, yeah, yeah, And when you think about that, it was such a contrast with anyone I spoke to about the sheg Harbor incident. Where things seemed much more open and very straightforward. Listen, if there was anything in the modern age that would be the equivalent of men of iron, long past the day of wooden ships, it would be Clarence divers. They do some pretty nasty work. You got to be a pretty solid guy to do that. They often have to sometimes remove a friend from a crashed aircraft. This kind of thing tough work, nasty at times, and these guys are up there pretty much. But I was struck by these men as they spoke to me the first two and eventually others. Was the emotional response, because you would when I would push their buttons a bit and try to get further hard details, these guys would have trouble make an eye contact. They'd look at the floor, you know, they would tear up, you know, and you had to wonder when you think about some of the other stories they told me during the sort of warm up phase of the interviews, of striking and difficult things in their career. This was significant and it just made the hair stand of my neck to see these men react like that, you know, and they would extend a hand and look at the floor and say you have to move on. I can't talk about that part. This kind of thing, well, you know, you had to wonder, you know, and at some point I was hoping to fill in those gaps. Unfortunately, one of the men eventually approached Maritime Command in Halifax and asked for permission to talk further, and then the boom really came down on it. But during those interviews there was a lot of really hard detail of things they felt they could talk about, and one of the shocking things but they gave me the name of the fellow who was underwater with them, who actually shot super eight film in a special sealed camera of this incident, and of course which led to a myriad of questions like well, where's the film now?
Speaker 1: What did you do with it?
Speaker 3: And when you'd ask that you get a very specific quick answer they'd say, oh, we gove it to the Defense Research building in Grove Street in Darkness, Nova Scotia and handed it over to doctor Maurice Coffee. You know, he was the unit scientific consultant, And eventually years later his name would surface in the Shag Harper incident as the fellow named in the April report prepared for the late Jim Lorenzen and Coral Lorenzen that here his name appears and says if anything of extreme interest is found or recovered, it would be turned over to him. So you know these things. The credibility kept built is I would suggest alternate things like why couldn't this be an early Soviet sub And they had a hostile reaction to that when I would make those kinds of suggestions, and they said, look, we're at anchor, We're in like forty feet of water. If this thing is sitting on the bottom, we'd have seen the Conning tower. The other thing is with you know, eighteen US and Canadian warships there in the area. You know, if there's ben a Soviets up sitting in Canadian waters in the harb it had a very bad day. Yeah, you know, I said, yeah, I'll tell you there's another special consideration for that in the case too. Because the designer of the mission, the admiral that was overseeing this on the Canadian side, and he had actually designed this mission working with US forces, was Rear Admiral Kenneth Dyer, and he's kind of a famous and historic character here in Canada. He was the fella in charge of the Atlantic Eat at the time during the Cuban missile crisis, and it's very famous in Canada because you know, of course overshadowed by events you know, involving the US somewhat played over in Cuba. But Kennedy actually flew, you know, to Wadawak and asked for his assistance because they wanted to free up as many US Navy ships as possible the blockade exactly, and what they were hoping Canadian forces would do would be guard the North Atlantic, you know, track incoming Soviet subsequent might have been coming from across the pond, and that well, our prime minister at the time, which was John Diefenbaker, refused, and just the year before, you know, he had signed a special treaty with Eisenhower before Kennedy took favor, saying we would eat support the other upon asking in any of these incidents. But why the admiral is so fair is he he was upset with it. And when he got back to Halifax, he contacted Norfolk and asked for US orders and took.
Speaker 2: Them and you know, Prime Minister.
Speaker 3: And the Minister of Defense. Yes. And the thing is, you know, it's very controversial and probably half the works to deal with this in Canadian history, and he is a chapter where I described that, and the politics around it in the book is that, you know, it was controversial, but he saw his duty as a NATO commander as being greater just than a Canadian admiral, and he thought this was it. It could have been World War three, so we had to do it. But the great thing about that incident is it tells us his attitude, and he was very hawkish, and since he was the fellow in command, still help hold in that same position. You know, during the Shelbourne incident. He he eventually, by the way, when this happens, they fly him out to the ship and land him at a helicopter on the deck of the whatever, and he has what he calls a hot washup meeting with the US forces. Right, And during that incident I heard one of the most colorful stories. And what it was is that one of the initial divers who told me they were down off duty at this point. At this point, the mission is declared one of observation only they're setting over not to interfere, and the men that are off duty are down in the mess on the Canadian ship, which of course allows drinking an alcohol. One of the US protocol officers wandering around while his admirals in the secret meeting, goes down to the mess and he hears the divers speaking of what's going on on the bottom. He walks over the table. He doesn't like it. He leans into them and says, listen, boys, you shouldn't be talking shop like this, especially about that Russian sub were sitting over. And one of the divers just explodes. He jumps to his feet and the table goes flying. He grabs the US officer and he says, that's the trouble with you Yankee boys. He said, you see the red menace anywhere. The only problem is this red menace is not from the Black Sea or Moscow. Could be marriage, he said, probably a lot farther away, he said. And there's nothing we can do about it. And you know it, he said, So I hope you don't plan and going old John Wayne on it or something. And the men are trying to tear them off. The US officer, Oh, yes, And interestingly, I had a work colleague that had an Air Force career and I didn't know it at the time when I first discovered this, and he saw the paperwork. He said, how did you ever find out this? And I said, you wouldn't believe it. He says, oh, I'd believe it. I was there and I said, well him, I said, come on, I said you were Air Force. He said yeah, and they had me out there in case anything was brought up. He used to go on these missions because he was an identification specialist right for crashes.
Speaker 2: And yeah, sarendig here is dole this throughout this story, the serendipity. You know, how you've you've discovered that your father was working on the HMSC Cape Scott. Yeah, it was kind of like it came to you in a dream or something. Can I just back up for a second, because I want to get back to what the divers saw. What how did they describe the craft and how did they describe the beings?
Speaker 3: The craft they described as typical discshape. Your wefo sitting on the bottom right now. Visibility wasn't great at the time in the water. And of course once they see this they're like whoa, you know, when they contact the surface and they're very quickly you know, hauled over the water to the deck and as they put it again, that expression all held breaks. More about that later, But the thing is when when this happens, the beans, you know, and it was like pulling piece getting these details, because when you get to these parts of the you'd see them get the jitters and look at the floor and say you'll have to move on. But eventually it was revealed that what they've seen was typical grades or something very similar to that, perhaps a little closer to the Betty Hill's description. And this is before Betty Hill's story member goes public. If the cow were still president in October nineteen sixty, you know that early on. And something else i'd remind people about too, that that's different, and I often do when I present on a stage, is the huge difference between nineteen sixty and nineteen sixty seven. It's greater than the difference between sixty seven and now in terms of the public's attitude in nineteen sixty and try and envision this. People still trusted their.
Speaker 2: Government, right, the Kennedy assassination, that's.
Speaker 3: Right, all those things. It was a very different world, right, And it's why I gave the dedication I did to the men were there in the front of the book. You know, it's easy to criticize and think, oh, how silly, you know, in Nicole War and sixty something years ago. But these men were expected to confront and deal with the unknown, you know, at all costs. And the thing is, you know, they weren't even allowed to speak or acknowledge it. It was very disturbing to them.
Speaker 2: And did the beings have any kind of underwater breathing apparatus or.
Speaker 3: To be honest, when I pushed for those details, that men would be like, you just you just got to move on. We can't talk about that. We can't talk about that, and they would stop one of the other ones. In one case, there's more than one man in the room together, you know, and let me tell you something here to wind it back, it's not like aha, you know, the light went on for me when I did those interviews. There was another gentleman present he's gone now, that was involved in the early reinvestigation of Shagharper, the late Bob McDonald. He had a military career. I used to take him because often to get these guys to talk, people say, well, did you record this? No, you would attempt to, but often what happened, I'll tell you what the tape recorder often was useful for Richard was as a prop because when they wouldn't open up, you take the tape recorder, you take the back off, let the bat reswall on the floor and say, hey, look we're just talking the story. Then I would have to go and find the proof later. I didn't think at the time that was going to take thirty years, mind you, but it did.
Speaker 2: So they didn't want to go there. In terms of the details on the beings and did they say how many beings there were.
Speaker 3: No, but the idea was there was more than a couple, you know, they were outside. They kept saying, well, there was activity, they were working on this craft or something, you know, but it was very clear there was a pair. It was there a typical classic Sauser type thing sitting on the box, you know, and there were live beings in the water around. Now. Another thing to consider is the location. Okay, Shelburne, Nova Scotia, and what's only about two miles away is Canada's most secret base, which is actually at the time a US only base with only US personnel in Canadian soil. The Canadian was called Canadian Forces Station shelburn and that station was the coordination center for submarine detection for the entire Atlantic Pacific Ocean. There were sixty four SOSIS stations around North America and they were all wired in to that central center in Shelburn, So it was very sensitive. It was, for example, the target and the data that had been compromised during the Walker scandal in the US, you know, during the Reagan years. It's a very secret base. It operated under a cover story. They used to claim that it was at Oceanographic Research station, but in fact it was the coordination center for Soviet some marine detection. It also played part even but NASA. You know, it was a backup system in case radar and visuals were lost, you know, for the incoming Mercury and Gemini space program. Okay, it had those kind of roles, right, So were only two miles from this base, so you know they were. They were certainly involved too.
Speaker 2: How many divers in total in the water that saw this do? You know?
Speaker 3: Initially just the two but drop cameras were placed after that, Like I say, what, once they kind of liaised with Halifax and particularly with doctor Maurice Coffey, the decision was made that you know, their role would be observation only not to interfere. Those ships sat there and did not move for days. They dropped anchor. Now, when I made my breakthrough in twenty twenty two and got the log book from Ottawa, the command ship for October nineteen sixty, I didn't expect to see, and you know the term UFO, which I did not. Interestingly, most of the Navy documents, even and military retallics as it went between the bases and the Shag Harbor incidents, openly referred to it as the UFO. But that was an unrestricted case and not an X file as this was. But when you look at this, when you just see what happens, you know, when I finally got that and I went through remembering the story I said earlier on here Richard that the man said, well, we're about an hour into the mission when all hell broke loose, right, So when I finally got this log and you know, we'll save all the drama and back and forth with Ottaw. Well, the first half of the book is the struggle to get all the things I tried that didn't work. If I get that, the first thing I do, of course, is turn to that and go ahead find the date. It turns out it was October the twelfth, and I see the mission set up. It's called Sweet Clear five. You know they're getting all the ships lined up. They've swept the channel and these ships are about to pass through. I get sixty minutes into the mission and nothing. I don't pan a hit because remember these men, when they first told me the story, it was thirty years ago, but now I add another thirty years on.
Speaker 1: Listen to more Coast to Coast AM every weeknight at one am Eastern, and go to Coast to coastam dot com for more