Speaker 1: I think Jackson will be fine this year. I think he'll kind of slidicisfy himself as one of the best center fielders in young the talent in the game there today.
Speaker 2: Hey, we've got former big league closer Heath Bell joining us right now and he's one of the new hosts of Friar Territory. All geared up right now too. He's great to have you on here for the first time. Man, how you doing and you're having fun hosting the show?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm having a good time. Thanks for having me. Guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great to see you dude. All right, so let's do this and then we'll talk a lot.
Speaker 4: Can you gain twenty five pounds in three months a fat?
Speaker 3: Definitely, exactly.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what I'm twenty five pounds, but I can't gain it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, twenty five pounds of muscle and easy without help. But all right, let's hit San Diego Padre storylines. This is what we want to go over with Heath and then fans, if you have a question, just type it in family drama. So will the Padres internal legal battle prevent aj Preller from doing what he normally does? So far we have seen that being the case, NL best, the NL West is lit. Yes, Dodgers, Dbacks, Giants all got better. Jackson Merril was so good last year? How do you prevent the sophomore slump? And bullpen bullies? The bullpen's tough. It almost ended the Dodgers season early. Can they run it back? Minus Tanner Scott Okay Heath. Let's start at the top here. This is a topic that's been discussed on Friar Territory. What do you think is going on right now at the front office and how much it's affecting the padres from doing business the way that they would like to do it. Aj Preller just loves activity and action and he's had to be held back to how he usually is.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: AJ loves to spend money and he can't spend money right now, so that's kind of that's probably heartbreaking for him. For the last you know, year or so, he's had a cut back on the payroll, but his hands have been tied because the ownership is fighting for position, the brothers and the ex wife so or the widow, I guess you could say. So it's just a it's a frustrating time and I think the players try to block it out as much as you can, but you can't help, you know, like King and you know, trying to do a long term contract, and other guys and other people don't want to come here because you just don't know who's going to manage the team, who's going to run the team, is the team going to be sold? So it's probably a frustrating time for the players right now. But I guarantee they all say they try to block it out, but you still it creeps in your head once in a while.
Speaker 4: It has to, it has to. Here's the problem with what the Padres have going on here. They have a tough division. The NL West is no joke now. I mean, the Dodgers have a four hundred million dollars payroll, right, The Diamondbacks are a lot better, The Giants have gotten better. Well, I mean the Rockies don't really count. But the Padres are in a tough spot. I know they almost took out the Dodgers last year, but every other team in the West is improving and the Padres, because of this situation, have had to stand still. How do they hang in this division?
Speaker 1: Well, I think the Padres have to look at the farm system. I mean, last year. If Profar didn't do what he did, the Padres wouldn't have been doing as good as they once were. And then Jackson Marrow came up and did really well, and then AJ made a couple of trades during the season, so it it it worked out pretty well. But I really think Profar was kind of the the guy that kind of carried the team in April and kind of got the Padres off to a hot start and whatnot and kind of carried them. I mean, he fell off a little bit towards the end, but he had an incredible season that nobody saw that coming. So I think AJ and the Padres are trying to, you know, saying, Jason and a couple other guys that hoping, you know, they can find lightning in a bottle again. So that's kind of what they're they're hoping for. Is it gonna work?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: If the season doesn't go well this year, I could see a fire sale mid season and and then basically back to rebuilding.
Speaker 3: It's the unfortunate part.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Can Jackson Merrill avoid the dreaded sophomore slump where some people say sophomore slump? Or is he going to be an MVP type of cannon.
Speaker 1: Well, I think he'll be fine. See so normally he's a shortstop. He's playing center field. He kind of learned it last year and now he's probably really trying to embrace how to be a center fielder. So, you know, I think he'll be fine. I just I don't think he's gonna do what Tatis did kind of you know, do some you know, nose cream or whatever he did his sophomore or third year. So it's but I think Jackson Merril will be fine. I don't think he'll have a slump. You know. I think when you traged positions, you kind of really focus on that and you don't you don't ever feel really comfortable at that position. After two or three years go by, then you start feeling comfortable. So I think Jackson will be fine this year. I think he'll kind of slidisfy himself as one of the best centerfielders and young talent in the game today.
Speaker 4: You know about good bullpens in San Diego. Is this bullpen going to be able to do the same thing, essentially carry this team's pitching after Cease and Kinger, you don't know what you're gonna get from you, Darvis. You don't know what you're gonna get from Waldron mus Groves out. So there's gonna be more innings that they had to pick up. But they were one of the best in the league and kept the offense who didn't do anything in the last two games and kept them in the games and could have gotten them to gotten them too, you know, the NLCS.
Speaker 1: Well, I think traditionally San Diego has always done really well in the bullpen. They always find guys that nobody else wants or nobody is going to do well. You know. I think, you know, Matt Suey did not as well as I think he should have done, and I think he's gonna step it up this year. And there's a couple other guys like Adam I think is going to do a.
Speaker 3: Better year, have a better year this year.
Speaker 1: And it's you know, it's just one of those things that San Diego traditionally has a really good bullpen. I think it's just with Trevor Hoffman still working with the team and just going out there and just you know, kind of being the unsung hero a little bit besides the coaches. You know, you just kind of have that veteran Hall of Fame status that are just right here that guys always talk to and ask questions, and you know what better to you know, talk to about? Then you know have Trevor Hoffman just kind of in the wings. You know about situations. So I think San Diego be finding the bullpen. It doesn't look as sexy as it did last year, but I think they'll be fine and they'll be in the top five or the top three bullpens of the year by the end of the year.
Speaker 2: Here I'm going to combine two fan questions here. So one fan says Padres fire sale if they struggle, and another fan asked about Bogart's performance to watch I can tie him together because Bogart ain't getting traded no matter what. So we want to answer both here, like if things do go really poorly, who gets dealt because there are long term pieces that really aren't tradable based on how much money they cost, not that they're bad players. And then just what do you think about Bogarts? And obviously shifting back to shortstop, Well.
Speaker 1: Bogart's signed to be a shortstop. I mean I didn't like the signing when you had Tatis to be a shortstop. You know, yeah, he made some airs, but you can always just work on your defense a little bit better. And they went out and got I mean, heck, we got. I think everybody in the team except for the pitchers, play shortstop. So it's just one of those things that I think it was a little strange. But to move him to second base just because Kim, you know, Bogart's got hurt. And then Kim had an incredible year, but he particularly wasn't that great of a player. I mean, he was a good, solid, maybe above average major league player, but he wasn't outstanding like he was, and they moved him, and then what happened again.
Speaker 3: You know, he.
Speaker 1: Fell back to a pretty good shortstop or a middle infielder. So I think vo guards will be fine over there. You know, he's you know, lost a step, but we always do that.
Speaker 3: When we get a little bit older.
Speaker 1: But I think he's got a little fire inun his butt to kind of show everybody that he's a shortstop and he's gonna be the short stop of the future. And I just think when I say fire sale, I say, you know, it's just one of those things I think swore As might go Cec and King. You know, I think mostly pitchers will go and I think that's the one thing we kind of lack in the last couple of years was starting pitching. We have starting pitching, but you know, you Darbus is getting older, Joe Musgrove's not there. You know. I do like the Korean guy that we signed, well not he's not from Korea, Heart Kevin Hart or Kyle Hart.
Speaker 2: Kle Hart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I like him because he's a pitcher and there's not many pitchers out out there, but he just got to He's one of those guys. He's got to keep the ball down. If he keeps the ball down, he's going to do really well. But when I say fire sale, I mean all the trade rumors they were talking just recently. It wasn't like in the mid season. It was kind of like leading up to spring training, what is ag going to do? Are they going to trade this guy? Or because he fortunately can't sign these guys, so you know, if people are willing to give some prospects or whatnot. But my biggest thing with the Padres is they need to start building with what they have within and start stop going out and trying to get the best prospects around the league. You know, they need to draft and develop guys and keep them and bring them to the big leagues and let them, you know, kind of like a Jackson Merrow help them help them in the big league level. You can't always find a Tatis from somebody else was the White Sox and then have him be the star of the team. So and then it doesn't work. Even the Yankees haven't done it. You know, they tried for many years when they went out and signed to every everybody, but you can't do it for years and years out, especially especially when you have an ownership issue going on this season. So it's that's kind of where the fire sale. I don't predict them to have a fire sale, but you know, just to looking on the outside in if they don't do well, who knows what Aj is going to do. And you know, he's gone through so many coaches and so many different situations. When he first got here, you know, he went and got a bunch of veterans, then he went young, and then he's traded off so many prospects.
Speaker 3: So you just don't know what's going to happen.
Speaker 4: Let's say they have success, Let's say they continue to have success, how many years of success do they need to have to make it a Dodgers Padres rivalry instead of a Dodger's Giants rivalry. I know their rivals now and there was a Kershall crying emoji stuff, but it's still not is it still not up to the level of the Giants Dodgers' rivalry.
Speaker 1: The Padres have to win a World Series, playing and simple. You got to go out and win a World Series and kind of the Giants, because the Giants in early what twenty tens started winning every other year for like three times in a row. The Gant the Dodgers have won the last couple of years, they're always in the hunt. So until the Padres can consistently beat the Dodgers and get to the World Series and win the World Series, I don't think the rivalry be It's gonna be kind of like a backyard rivalry, but it's not that you know, big college rivalry. Maybe the high school rival of you know, your local high school or something, but it's not that big division ie rival like the Giants and the Dodgers. So you know, the Padres have to go out there and win a World series to I would say, win one or two in the next five years to kind of make it, you know, a Dodgers you know, Padres rivalry right now. It's kind of like that little brother big brother rivalry that you kind of know the big brother the Dodgers are gonna win, but sometimes the little brother does. It's kind of like you guys remember the movie The Little Giants, the Little football movie back day. Yeah, I kind of feel like Little Giants are the Padres. We can win, but until we like go and beat him consistently year in a year out, I don't see it being a rival. They have to win a world series.
Speaker 4: Wow. Big news there, big news. You know we're talking about all this news. We're talking about all these player moves. You know we haven't mentioned. The biggest move the Padres made this entire offseason was announced a couple of days ago.
Speaker 3: Do you know what that was?
Speaker 4: He our old guy no don Orsillo signed a like ten year lifetime contract to be don Diego and finish out his career as a San Diego Padres. So, I mean, the fans in San Diego love him. Him and Mudter one of the most entertaining watches on TV. So I just want to say, while we have you and we're talking Padres, congratulations to don Orsilo well deserved.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's a great guy.
Speaker 1: I mean, just watching those guys are and listening to those guys, it's it's fun to watch.
Speaker 3: It's kind of like back in the day.
Speaker 1: It's not I don't think it's his I think Harry Carey is one of the best ever. But they're in then definitely in the top five of that category. So you know, there's there's some announcers out there that are really good that unfortunately I just don't like listening to for whatever reason. I'm not going to name any names, but they're just kind of like it's just I don't I don't want, I don't want to listen to them because they're just boring.
Speaker 3: But you know, you got to have something.
Speaker 2: So I don't know, I'm with you. I'm this My thoughts are the same exact. There are some out there that are boring that sound like when you know, sound like listening to the ball in the seventies or eighties, and nothing has changed and it's just not fun enough. And I too, will not say their names on this show. I will say them to people when I'm not on a show because you're feeling because I was in that fraternity once and I actually didn't care if people said they didn't like me because they took a different style. But I'm with you. There's there's some great, there's some good, and there's some boring. So Don is a star. I'm with you, man, Dude, You're great. It was great having you on a lot of people listening right now are like Heath knows Friar current Ball, Like you know these guys. You're watching the game, so excited to hear more of you and Kyle Glazer. Obviously Mike Cameron part of that show too. But you can listen to Heath go get some Friar Territory action. If you're a Padres fan and you're looking for real talk on the pods, Heath, you having fun with it. I mean you you're watching the games, dude, you know this team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm enjoying. I'm enjoying it.
Speaker 1: You know. I stepped away from the game to kind of raise my kids. They're kind of older now, you know, they're my last one is fifteen. The rest of them are out of high school and college, and I'm really trying to get back in the game. But I've never the love for the game and watching the game has never changed. I mean, there's so many guys that retire that stop watching baseball, and I just think that's funny. I Mean, we play this game our whole lives, and then you know, somebody tells us we can't play because we're too old, and then all of a sudden, we just never want to watch the game. I mean, I go to baseball games all the time. I'll go to myeror league games. I go to ice, some high school games, and some college game. So I just like being around the game. And you know, the Padres are the Padres and Mets are kind of my two teams that I you know, the Mets gave him an opportunity in the minor leagues and got to the big leagues. But then I really kind of blossomed with San Diego, and so those are my two teams at heart, and I just I really follow them a lot, and you know, it's just I'm I would love to coach for one of them, especially San Diego, you know, or do something with them. But you know, talking about baseball, Heck, my wife never wants to bring that up because I'll just talk all day long. So and she's like, how do you know these things? And I'm like, I don't know, because maybe I played and I pay attention, So who knows?
Speaker 3: All right? Real quick?
Speaker 4: Last one one of the conversations we had here was Ryan Helsley was coming out the Hell's Bells. Is that fair because you played with hoff and you have the last name obviously to be able to play that song. Can anybody else use his song? And are saying, man, here, here, here's the thing. If you enjoy baseball and you respect the game, Hell, no, you cannot use his song.
Speaker 3: I even have the name.
Speaker 1: And I was in Triple A and they put it out for me, and then I came in after the game. I was like, don't ever use that song again. That's Trevor Hoffmann's song. And I was with the Mets organization of the time, even though it kind of fits with me in my last name, I said, I gotta find a song that fits me. I can't take somebody's song. So you can't. You can't take Inner Sandman or Hell's Bells. Those are like tradition. You get, you gotta you just you hold those guys on a pedestal Hall of Fame. If you're a Hall of Famer and you want to use it, go ahead, But honestly, you that's just disrespectful to those guys. I really believe in the game of baseball. So I'm gonna say no on that aspect.
Speaker 2: Okay, there you go like it. Plus, there are a few other songs from a few other songs, a few other No, my thing is.
Speaker 3: Is just not even.
Speaker 4: It's just one of those things like those guys are the best of all time, right yea, and everyone knows them with their songs, so that's them. Like, figure it out. There's a million songs with hell in it, bel in it, this and that and whatever you want.
Speaker 3: I mean, figure it out you.
Speaker 2: Yep, exactly. Heath great to have you on, man, appreciate the time. We'll see on friar.
Speaker 3: Thanks enjoy watching you guys. Take care,