Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Vincent Goodwill has all the answers. Yea Hu's Sports senior, NBA writer and host of The Good Word podcast. Is it a slight to say Kevin Durant is one of the greatest scorers of all time?
Speaker 3: It's a got a slight, Dan, It's just limiting, you know what I mean. Like when you say someone's a great scorer, you're saying that's the only thing that they're great at. Like when I say Carmelo Anthony is a great score, that's like the first thing that you think of.
Speaker 4: And this if you.
Speaker 3: Take a while before you go to maybe the other things of this game. And I'm not insulting Carmelo in any way, but you think of Carmelo as the first, as a great score first and foremost you think of kad Or. You should think of kat as one of the greatest all around players this league has ever seen. Unfortunately, in the era of Lebron James and Stephen Curry, you tend to limit him or discuss him in other ways a lot of times that have nothing.
Speaker 4: To do with basketball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I think with Steph Curry, he's the greatest shooter of all time. We talk about anything else with him. Now, granted that's a great compliment, but if I said Steph Curry one of the greatest scorers of all time, that would be accurate because he's not known for anything else other than being the greatest shooter in the history of the game.
Speaker 4: I agree, And it's weird.
Speaker 3: You know what's funny is because we don't think about shooters being great players.
Speaker 4: In that way.
Speaker 3: When you think maybe aside from Larry Bird, but when you thought of great shooters, you think of guys that have like a specialized skill like a Dale Ellis or someone like that that's just a three point shooter only almost like a field goal kicker in a way in football. But Steph has sort of revolutionized it in a way that he is a great scorer and he is a great shooter, the great shooter we've ever seen, but there's so many other different parts and different facets to his game. I think with someone like Kadie, the conversation is so convoluted and a lot of times unfair when it comes to Kevin Durant that we're always looking for the slight when someone calls him a great God saying, wait a minute, what about the other parts of this game you don't like? For me, Dan, I thought Kevin Durant became the league's best player in twenty fourteen when he became the best defensive player between himself and Lebron James. Except we never thought about Kevin Durant in that way. We short ourselves and we short him in the way that we discuss him. And now that he's on the back end of his career, now we're starting to hopefully acknowledge and see all the great parts of this game.
Speaker 2: Okay, how about we look at this down the road when their careers are over with who will be recognized as a better player, Steph Curry or Kevin Durant.
Speaker 4: That's an excellent, excellent question, man.
Speaker 3: I think Steph Curry won that championship in twenty twenty two put him over the top of Kevin Durant. I think, unfortunately this Rings culture. I don't subscribe to Rings culture in that sort of direct way, but I do think that STEP's ability to lead a franchise, to stay with a franchise, to stick it out with a franchise, compared to who's been a little bit more mercenary. That's going to be something that people look at as a demerit. I think it's a basketball player Kevin Durant because of what he does defensively, he's a better all around player and stuff.
Speaker 2: Let's look at the post trade deadline, Jimmy Butler's contribution impact at Golden State and Lucas with the Lakers. Which team do you think goes further due to these two editions.
Speaker 3: I think Jimmy Butler makes a bigger impact with the Golden State Warriors, but that's because the Golden State Warriors have such a long way to go relative to the Lakers. Like the Lakers were on a roll up until this trade, and part of that has been the schedule lighting up and Lebron coming off of his sabbatical, if that's what we're going.
Speaker 4: To call it.
Speaker 3: He's coming back from that with both freshet of legs and everything else. I think Luca is a little bit more duplication. He just does it at a higher level and he probably has the stamina to do it for longer stretches of time than Lebron does at this stage of his career. But I don't see the Lakers having enough actual functional size and defense on the back line to make a real impact in the playoffs. I know that they've won a lot of games, and I think they're you know, a game and a half and the lost cosum of being like third in the West or second in the West or whatever it is. But I still think that size gets it done when you're talking about playing a full seven game series. Now, when I look at Golden State, they're used to playing small and you have someone in Draymond Green on the back line. Steph Curry has not played with a guy who can create his own shot at.
Speaker 4: An elite level.
Speaker 3: Stency's played with Kevin Durant and that was in twenty nineteen, was the last year those guys played together. I'm very curious to see how those two guys mesh, you know, Katie and Katie, Jimmy going to the bucket and being able to be passed first and Steph being able to roam around on the perimeter having someone.
Speaker 4: Create shots for him. That could be scary.
Speaker 2: Dan Patrick good Will y'allho's sports senior NBA writer, host of The Good Word podcast. You know a story that's kind of gone under the radar, you know, Utah's tanking, Washington's tanking.
Speaker 5: Are the Pelicans tanking? Are they just bad?
Speaker 4: They're confident, they're not trying to be bad. Man.
Speaker 3: Some look, when you're in the luxury tax, you ain't in a luxury tax because you're trying to tank. This is not a stealth tank job on the Pelicans part. Like, yeah, they traded Brandon Ingram, but they were expecting Zion Willims.
Speaker 4: And to be good this year.
Speaker 3: They acquired the john Ty Murray because they wanted to make a run, like on December one of last season, not December first of this season. They were the best team in the Western Conference and they were looking at it saying, if we get healthy, if we stay healthy, we're going to be able to make some real noise because of the youth and the defense and some of the athleticism that we have. It just hasn't worked and they're bad. And unfortunately for New Wallan, I feel like they're going to have to part ways with Zion Williams and after the season. And it's not to say that Zion can't turn it around. It's just that it feels like that relationship is going sour and those sides cannot go on. So I don't think this is by design. They were not intending to be bad. David Griffin thought he was going to put together a team that was going to compete in the Western Conference this year.
Speaker 2: So the coach didn't talk. After the last game, the fans booed the new team governor, the former owner, told fans to shut the bleep up. Fans got tossed for signs saying fire Nico, and the team lost to Sacramento. Other than that, it seems like, as Tim Klashaw has tweeted out, everything's going well in Dallas.
Speaker 4: Everything's going swimmingly there.
Speaker 3: Look, then we can all adjudicate the Luka Donci's trade, right, And I'm not one of those people that cause it the worst trade of all time, Like when they say they traded for ad I think there are people are trying to say that they traded for Antonio Davis in nineteen ninety four, so that like Anthony Betas is one of the top ten players in basketball. But I think that it's been a stroke of bad luck for a franchise that is so connected to Luke. They're more connected to Luka Doncic than they were to the actual Dallas Mavericks, and that's something that you generally dan incorporate with losers. Like I'm gonna tell you a quick story. I was a fan of the Detroit Lions, and then July twenty seventh, nineteen ninety nine happened, and I was no longer a fan of the Detroit Lions and I have not gone back since. Why because they were losers. And then when they made Barry Sanders quit, I quit them. Dallas has won a championship and they went to the finals. Those fans should not be bailing, even though I understand their anger and frustration, but this is a bit shocking the reaction from everyone.
Speaker 4: Death that's Niel Henderson. That's a bit low to me.
Speaker 2: If you gave Nico a do over a mulligan right now today.
Speaker 3: I think, given the fact that we don't know the extent of Anthony Davis's injury, this core muscle injury that he has, you might give him a mull again based off of that, not necessarily based off of the reaction. Usually you can ride off the reaction, and I think he was confident enough to say we got some bigs here that can really make some things happen.
Speaker 4: In the Western Conference.
Speaker 3: If we get them all healthy and upright, I don't think I don't think people as strong minded as Nico Harrison are going to be swayed that quickly because of the reaction.
Speaker 4: He could be swayed because of.
Speaker 3: Anthony Davis's health, not because everybody is so heartbroken and betrayed over Lukadomcic.
Speaker 2: Always great to talk to you, Vincent. Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 4: Next time, I'll be on video.
Speaker 3: Dan.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's what our audience wants. The ladies love that. The ladies want that.
Speaker 3: Dan.
Speaker 4: Don't get me in trouble man.
Speaker 2: Oh okay. I was gonna say, Vincent Goodwill hunting, but you're not. You're in love right.
Speaker 3: I'm the love doctor. No Moore just gonna say that, I'm the love doctor.
Speaker 4: No Moore.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Vincent.
Speaker 2: Vincent Goodwill, Yahoo's sports senior NBA writer, host of The Good Word podcast.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 6: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm rich David and together we're Covino and rich On Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 7: You could catch us.
Speaker 8: Weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 6: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 8: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 6: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 8: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out.
Speaker 6: We like to get you involved, to take your phone calls, chop it up.
Speaker 8: As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 5: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 6: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern, two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcast, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: I don't know what he does for his twenty third birthday, but his twenty second birthday was pretty cool. Cooper de Jean, the Eagles defensive back, had to pick six as the Eagles win the Super Bowl, they got the parade coming up on Friday. How much sleep since Sunday?
Speaker 5: Coop?
Speaker 7: Not a whole lot, Not a whole lot.
Speaker 9: I've been trying to catch up a little bit, but I've gotten I've gotten very little sleep these past few days.
Speaker 5: How was the after party?
Speaker 7: It was awesome? It was awesome. It's a lot better when you win.
Speaker 5: Who is who is the MVP of the after party?
Speaker 7: That's a good question.
Speaker 9: There was a there's quite a few guys that were having to having good time at the after party.
Speaker 2: Well, you're just old enough to drink now now that you're twenty two, So did you Did you celebrate as well with these guys?
Speaker 7: Of course, of course I celebrate.
Speaker 9: I had to had to celebrate winning a world championship and on my birthday, so I had to celebrate.
Speaker 2: The defensive game plan of not blitzing. Was that discussed prior to the game, that that was going to be the game plan? That nobody is going after mahomes other than your front four?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean I think that's that's the way we practiced all week. It's just to play our coverage like we like we've done all year. Obviously we've blitz a little bit this year, but I think, you know, we we work really well together in the back end, the way we plays on coverage and the way we match routes, and you know, it's it makes it easy on on the back end when you know you got a D line up front that's that gets pressure without without having to you know, plits the quarterback.
Speaker 5: What was your job? What was your role in the Super Bowl?
Speaker 9: I mean, just to disrupt timing and you know, packing zones and make create tight windows for the quarterback, you know, disrupt timing from the receivers getting off the getting off the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 7: You know, try to give our D line as much.
Speaker 9: Time to get to the quarterback, you know, and then and then packing those zones, you know, and switch up the picture on the quarterback and you know, make him have to make him have to play quarterback.
Speaker 2: What did you show my homes or that maybe he didn't see on your pick six?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think we were. We were playing uh zone coverage and you know the way we played it, it was I was kind of playing off Zach in front of me, and he actually he actually ran to the flat, which was my responsibility, and it allowed me to fall back inside. But I think, I think that's just how it's been all year, just us playing off of each other. And I saw him go out there to the flat, and I was able to fall back inside and got to be a free player and just read the quarterback and able to pick the ball off.
Speaker 5: When did you start thinking end zone?
Speaker 9: Right when I caught the ball. Every time I touched the ball, I want to score, you know. It's It's been that way since as long as I remember playing football. So but luckily I got some got some blocks out there from the big guys up up front.
Speaker 7: Threw me some blocks and found my way in to the end zone.
Speaker 5: Did you keep the ball?
Speaker 7: Of course, of course I kept. I had to keep.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you get too excited and you might, you know, be spiking it or something and then teammate has to grab it or something. But look, this isn't normal like your age, Super Bowl going against Mahomes pick six. I mean, how do you how do you process that of where you were, where you were drafted and uh, here you are.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's I mean, I don't think I processed it yet.
Speaker 9: Yeah, three and a half years ago, I was in high school and I'm playing on on the biggest stage in football in the super Bowl, And I think it's just a lot of credit to the people who've helped me along along the way.
Speaker 2: You didn't have a Mahomes poster on your wall growing up, did you?
Speaker 7: No? I didn't. I didn't. I did watch him.
Speaker 9: You haven't haven't played quarterback, you know, I did watch him quite a bit growing up.
Speaker 5: But did you talk to him at all? Have you talked to Mahomes after the game?
Speaker 7: I have No, I haven't, I have it. I'm not sure. Yeah, I haven't talked to him.
Speaker 2: And I wouldn't ask him to sign the football. I'd wait a little while before you do something like that. Me into halftime, what was it like.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean a lot of a lot of focus.
Speaker 9: I think, you know, I think everybody understood that the game wasn't over because you know, we understood who you know who, who they were on.
Speaker 7: On that side.
Speaker 9: You know their their offense and what they're capable of, their quarterback, their offense, how explosive it is, and you know, so we knew, we knew it wasn't finished you at halftime, and you know we had to you know, we had to go out there and you know put it away in that second half.
Speaker 5: When did you know the game was over?
Speaker 9: That's I mean, I don't know if I really crossed my mind until it was later in that in that fourth quarter.
Speaker 5: Like thirty four to nothing. I think you feel pretty safe, don't you.
Speaker 7: That Then I think we gave up.
Speaker 9: We give up a touchdown, So, I mean I was, I was still a little a little nervous. I didn't want to, you know, say it was over yet, but there's there was definitely a lot of a lot of confidence when we got when we went up thirty four.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that you guys should put the score forty to six on your ring because those last two touchdowns they really don't count. I mean, it was an incredible defensive performance, but you gave up a couple of garbage touchdowns.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think the way our defensive played, we just we just continue to get better over the year, and you know, the performers that we put out there, you know, in the super Bowl on the biggest stage. I don't think it's a surprise to any of us, you know, the work we put it in, you know, throughout the whole year, throughout practice, and then just going out there and do our doing, doing our thing, what we've done all year.
Speaker 5: The number of people lived in your hometown is what A thousand?
Speaker 7: This hundred thousand?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Okay, yep.
Speaker 2: Do you get a statue in your hometown? Is there any talk of a Cooper to Gene statue?
Speaker 7: I don't. I don't think there's any talk of that, not that I've earned, at least that I've heard.
Speaker 2: Well, we should start that. Where is anybody more famous in your hometown?
Speaker 7: I mean, not that I know of.
Speaker 9: I don't know if there's I don't know if there's any any professional athletes from from my hometown.
Speaker 2: A thousand people. You got a traffic light in your hometown?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: Why don't you?
Speaker 5: Why don't you have one installed?
Speaker 2: Like you could have the Cooper to g and you gotta have something in there the Cooper to g maybe a park bench, maybe a traffic light stop something. Yeah, your defense, I mean stop, I think that would be a By the way, if I get a slam dunk contest for NFL players, how do you think you do.
Speaker 7: You know, I got a couple of couple of tricks in my bag that I could.
Speaker 9: I haven't played basketball in a while, so I probably need a little bit of practice, but I think I could.
Speaker 7: I could compete a little bit.
Speaker 5: What's your go to.
Speaker 7: Go to man?
Speaker 9: Probably just a windmill, Maybe something off the side of the backboard, could be something.
Speaker 7: Off the glass. Three sixty three sixty. That's some ideas.
Speaker 2: I think we should get this together and maybe I could work on this. I got to work on a statue for you in a slam done contest with NFL players.
Speaker 5: Congrats, a great.
Speaker 2: Moment for you, certainly for your family and your hometown as well, and thanks for joining us. Be careful with the parade on Friday, Cooper, Absolutely be careful. Be careful, Cooper to Jean the Eagles defensive bank.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: He's Nick Right, host of First Things First on Fox Sports one and What's Right with Nick Right on YouTube wherever you get your podcast. Thanks for joining us. Let's go back to Sunday morning. Your level of confidence was what.
Speaker 10: Extremely high listen I said to you. I think I'm sure I did that. I knew they could lose. I didn't think they I thought it was zero percent. They lost to the Texans. I thought they could lose to the Bills, but I would have been shocked. And I thought they could lose to the Eagles, but I would have been shocked. What I obviously did not anticipate at all was the method in which they lost. And one of the reasons I was so confident is I had said, this is a team that you can't blow out, and if it's close late, you trust Patrick, and so I didn't think the Chiefs were gonna blow out Philly. You know, I had respect for Philly, and I think they're a great roster and even better than I expected. But yeah, I was my confidence Sunday morning. Maybe what might be more instructive is my confidence Saturday night, Dan, when at a few Super Bowl parties, a few drinks in every Eagles fan I saw, if they started talking to me, I'd very earnestly look them in the eye and say, I really hope tonight is one of the best nights of your life, because tomorrow is gonna be one of the worst. Oh my god, and that didn't you know it happens?
Speaker 2: I suppose when did you realize you were in trouble during the game?
Speaker 10: Probably later than I should have, Dan, to be honest with you, ten nothing. I felt, fine, They've come back from ten nothing down in every Super or not ten nothing, but ten down in every Super Bowl. The pick six even obviously at that moment, I'm like, oh, you're up against it now, but I still felt, Okay, get the ball, score, get the ball after half. Fine, the three and out after the pick six. Everyone points to the interception the next drive. But the three and out is what was to me really concerning because it was like, Oh, they know now they've got to go, and they don't have answers. So in that moment, I was like, oh, they're probably cooked. But then one of the downsides Dan to a long halftime, Do you have enough time to walk around? And I had a gosh darn it. I think addics call it a moment of clarity, and I was like, this whole thing started down twenty four to nothing, the first Super Bowl they ever won, down twenty four to nothing, and then go on to run and now down twenty four to nothing, with mister twenty eight to three in the booth to pull off the three peet, I'm like, oh my, and I'm now at halftime. I spent most of the time formulating my Monday argument as to why a twenty four to nothing comeback is so much better than a twenty eight to three comeback, and turns out I won't need that argument.
Speaker 5: But how do you explain this?
Speaker 2: If somebody didn't see it, you would say this is why it happened.
Speaker 10: I would say that two most basic reasons are as follows, and they both oddly have a direct game corollary and the same game reason one the single most and this is not a high level analysis, but it's just a truism of football, The single most effective way to disrupt a great quarterback is to if you can get constant pressure without sending a guys, because they're already at a numbers disadvantage. You got five blocking four and the quarterback. So if you can get pressure with those four, your seven get to guard their five, right, And so that's the single best way to do it. They did it brilliantly. It was the best any team had done it in at least fifteen years in a Super Bowl. More on that in the moment. And the second reason is, for the first time all year, the moment got to the team and got to Patrick. They have been like, I'm not going I'm not here to make excuses. I will give context if people want to act like Patrick is the first, in fact, he just joins every other quarterback ever to have a truly brutal playoff game. But the moment got to him. It felt like and the last time. And this is where sports are great. In my lifetime, there have only been two NFL games played where a team walked onto the field and knew, if we win today, we are the greatest team of all time, the seven Super Bowl Patriots Giants and this year's Super Bowl. Now different greatest team O seven was going for single season Chiefs going for the greatest you know stretch and it was the exact same blueprint in both games. Got home with four and one of the greatest quarterbacks we've ever seen was skittish and didn't play well. Like that's that that is what happened. Now that game was close, obviously this game was not, but that defensive performance holding that Patriots seemed to fourteen points. It was unthinkable they were fourteen point favorites, and so and so it's we saw it a team that all year long, the moment was never too big for him. It watching it the first people the first third down of the game, Dan little easy pass, Mahomes throws it a little behind and Kelsey doesn't quite grab it, and you're like, oh, that's weird. That was an important play. It's Kelsey and it's Mahomes and they were both a little off and that was the story of the game.
Speaker 5: How much of a hit to Mahomes Aura?
Speaker 10: You think, Oh, Aura is a great question. So I think temporarily it's a big hit. This is again where I the twenty twenty one AFC Championship game, coming off a year they had been blown out in the Super Bowl against Tampa and they're up twenty one to three on Cincinnati, and then Mahomes played the worst half of his life and they lose. That was and then they trade Tyreek Hill. The aura, the mystique, all of it was dead and gone. They were a one time champion who had back to back tough playoff losses, and then they spent the last three years building that back up, so they're going to have to do that again. The can we talk legacy stuff for a moment here, sure, because what I and I don't think you've done this. But what is really frustrating to me, though, is folks acting like, listen, if you're an all time great, this doesn't happen to you. The fact of the matter is every single all time great ever this has happened to. We know Elway got annihilated in a bunch of Super Bowls fifty five to ten, most notably, Marino got annihilated in his only Super Bowl. Peyton Manning got annihilated forty three to eight. People will say Joe Montana never did. In fact, Joe Montana was perfect in super Bowls. That is true. Joe Montana, also in the smack Dad middle of his prime, in back to back to back years, was one and done in the playoffs back to back to back years, zero playoff touchdowns, back to back to back years, blown out in the playoffs by a combined score of one hundred and one hundred and two to thirty. So and then people say, what about Tom the year he was going for a three peat, didn't get to have his melt down in the Super Bowl because he threw a pick six to let a game get out of hand against Jake Plumber in round two. So I'm not making excuses. I am saying the one thing Patrick had on his resume, depending on how you judge that Tampa Super Bowl was never a moment like this. Now he has it, and he joins literally every other quarterback ever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd only push back on a little bit with that. If Mahomes had won forty to twenty two, we might be having a conversation of a larger picture of Mahomes with Brady. Now now they're even.
Speaker 10: Uh so that is where that is where I totally agree with you. What this game did. I don't think I think anyone acting like it moved Mahomes backwards. I think it is being dishonest or unfair it now not only did it stall the progress, but had they won, I would have come on here and said he doesn't need seven. In fact, he might already be the best ever seven years, four rings, a three peat, you know, boom. But now Brady also went back to back right, so like you didn't do something he didn't do. So now it's like he walked onto the field, and it's like there could be a real goat debate Monday morning, a real debate, I think, And now the earliest that can probably happen is twenty thirty. And so yes, like, I agree with you entirely on that.
Speaker 2: He's Nick Wright, host of First Things First on Fox Sports one, What's Right with Nick Wright? On YouTube wherever you get your podcast. I'll move on from the Chiefs here for a moment. I mentioned Kevin Durant going to thirty thousand career points, and I think it's a slight to call him one of the greatest score of all time because it really limits just your focus of what Kevin Durant really is. Dirk Novitsky was a great scorer, Alan Iverson a great score, Alex English a great score. Kevin Durant is far more than that. He's a better basketball player than Steph Curry. But it feels like when you say he's the one of the great scorers of all time, I don't think we look at the totality. So I'm curious where you see Durant in his placement.
Speaker 10: I agree with a lot of what you said. Better basket Is flatly called him a better basketball player than Steph Curry. I'd have to spend more time thinking about. But I understand the point up in my head and this is the ultimate compliment insult. I kind of put him in the same category as Shack, which is one of the greatest players ever who did not reach their potential. So like, he's one of the fifteen to twenty greatest players of all time time and that was probably a worst case scenario for him, and that's a bummer. Like I the Kevin Durant lived, lived in the conference finals or NBA finals for his twenties and in his thirties, he hasn't made it out a round two. He is, you know, he's his basketball nomad. His his very ardent belief that it is not my job to be a leader has clearly hurt him. He has picked strange bedfellows. He the You know, there's just a lot of stuff where I had somebody that is incredibly close to a different all time great. Say if you had lined up every top twenty player ever blacktop style, you know, picking picking teams, and there was someone who'd never seen any of them play, and you described their attributes to the guy, It's like, hey, who do you want for overall? And you go to Jordan and it's like, well, he's about average height for the people here. He's you know, the second or third best athlete. There's about seven guys that can shoot better than him. There's a couple of guys who can dribble better than him. But he is a crazy competitor, like insane competitor. They'd be like, Okay, who else you got? Like, all right, and describe Lebron. He's the best athlete here. There's ten guys who can dribble better than him. There's two guys who can pass better than him. There's seven guys who can shoot.
Speaker 4: Better than him.
Speaker 10: Be like, Okay, who's the next guy, who's the tall guy? It's like, oh him, Well, he's the second best shooter here, he's the second tallest person here, he's the fourth best dribbler here. He's like, oh, I want him, Like I actually, he's gonna be my first pick of every basketball player ever. And that's where I say he kind of didn't quite reach what he should have. Okay, is that fair?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 5: I get it. I get it.
Speaker 2: The nomad and I think if he had gone back to if he had gone to the Wizards and led them to the play, you know, like Lebron went back to Cleveland and that cemented his legacy. Before I let you go, who had the worst weekend?
Speaker 9: Me?
Speaker 5: Mahomes, Me Drake or you Me?
Speaker 10: No goodness, no matter who was on the list, it was gonna be me, I know. Can I tell you a quick story?
Speaker 5: Okay? Is it a quick story?
Speaker 10: Probably not, but it's a great story.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 5: Can I take a break for your great story?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 5: Is it teas worthy? It is?
Speaker 10: You will love it?
Speaker 2: Okay, your group, Okay, we'll love it. Okay, all right, we'll take a break. We'll come back with Nick Wright and his great story. Well, let's see if it's a great story. If Mike Greenberg was selling this, he would be like coming up one of the greatest stories ever told.
Speaker 1: Get up.
Speaker 2: So Nick Wright is staying with us, of course, the host of First Things First on Fox Sports wand What's Right with Nick Right on YouTube wherever you get your podcast, had a rough weekend, had a weekend that was worse than Mahomes or Drake, which is saying a lot.
Speaker 10: So first of all, what is this a Ken Burns documentary? How long are your commercial breaks. My god, I said I'd sit through the break. I didn't know, I mean, my god. Well, so here's the benefit of there's not a lot of benefits of the fact that you're not a listener to the ever growing and very popular What's Right in the Great podcast host with my son Deman's. One of the benefits is you're gonna get to hear the story for the first time. Subscribers and listeners got to hear it yesterday. Subscribe on YouTube right Saturday night for the Super Bowl. I'm at one of the many Super Bowl parties. Of course you've met my wife. She's with her best friend, both beautiful women. As often as the case whenever we go to like some you know, nightclub type place. We haven't been in there five minutes, and all of a sudden, some group of fellas have been like, hey, we have a second you guys want to sit here. They're wearing heels, so they're like yeah. They My wife then says to me, do you want to sit I'm like, no, I'm gonna go ahead and not sit in these fellows section who invited you in because you're beautiful and they have no idea we're together. You guys, go ahead, all have fun, circle around, you have sea fights on a giant scream. So I'm just standing kind of close to the section watching the USC fight, having a few cocktails. Some point after I stood there a while, a woman walks up to me says, can I ask you a question? Like, of course, why do you talk so bad about Jalen Hurts. I'm like, well, I don't know that it's I do and you know, I do a little tap dancing. And she's like no, and she seems to have some very quotables. Some I said, some I didn't, And I'm like, okay, well, okay, so here are the good things I've said. Here are the critical things I've said. You know, I throw on some of that patented right charm. And I figure, we're, you know, this is going, We're gonna be out of here quickly, not budging an inch. And then I realized something Dan probably would have realized earlier had I not been a couple of cocktails in. And I said, ma'am, may ask you a question. She said yeah. I said, are you Jalen Hurts mother? She said yes, I am. I'm like, god, dog it, I'm like, this is and I said, well, I'm now in a terrible position. She said, what do you mean. I'm like, well, you're his mom. I'm supposed to right now be like, ma'am, I'm so sorry. Your son's amazing. You know, I'm playing a character on TV. Like you know, it's my job because you're his mom. I was like, however, I don't know if you respect me to begin with, but if I do that, you certainly won't. It's like, so now I feel like I have to say to you why I believe Eve the somewhat negative things I've said about your son is a thrower of the football. And she's like, yes, go ahead, and Dan when I tell you. I sat there. I stood there for fifteen minutes having a conversation about like, listen, I thought he handled the benching at Alabama incredibly well. I think I think this. I was like, now, did I call him the weak link of the Eagles offense? I did. However, the context of that is I think they have a top two everything else. I think he's top two quarterback. And she really grilled me. And then I look to my sides and I'm like, I don't know if these are cousins, brothers, uncles or whatever. But I'm now kind of flanked by what appears to be the Hurts family. So she says to me at the end, she was like, what are you gonna say? She didn't say it harshly, she said, what are you gonna say? When he wins? And because I'm me and I can't ever stop being me, I'm like, well if he went She's like, no, when he wins? And I was like, well, I got to see the game first, but then we'll see and you know, it was nice and I got I went outside sweating bullets and I was like, I don't know what just happened, but that's my that's my night before the Super Bowl?
Speaker 4: Story?
Speaker 2: Dan, why didn't you have Jalen Hurt's mom on your YouTube podcast?
Speaker 10: Invite Open?
Speaker 5: But that that's called good producing right there?
Speaker 10: Well, so here, you know what, that opens the door to a second great story. And then I'll let you go.
Speaker 5: Is it going to be better than that story?
Speaker 10: No chance?
Speaker 5: Oh, because that wasn't a great story.
Speaker 10: What do you mean?
Speaker 5: Okay, let's go around the room, Todd. Was that a great story? I think it was a good story, right, seeing story, it's a good story, all right? Marvin good story, Aunt, Paulie.
Speaker 10: I'm going very good the teas and then it being the mom and the way he ramped up to it.
Speaker 5: I'm going very good, but not great.
Speaker 2: I was more concerned with your wife and her friend at a table.
Speaker 10: I added that, now that you've heard the story, totally irrelevant detail, just to make sure you were locked in, buddy, because I knew. I knew that that was the Chekhov's gun of the story, except it was never used. Yeah, I need a better producer. I don't need That's unfair. I love my producers, but not everybody can have a Fritzy Fritzi who texts me mid super Bowl knowing what pain I'm in, then posts super Bowl and then when I defer and I'm like, hey, I can't, he then is like, oh, that's interesting because I see another show as promoting an upcoming appearance you're having, and I'm like, well, that other show is the TV show on the network that pays me. So yes, as much as I love Dan, I do to do that. And then all come on, Fritzie's a bull man. All that is true, am I lion?
Speaker 2: He's done that before to people who have lost had emotional losses, but before the game is over, when you think you're going to win, and he'll say, hey, when you win, we want to have you on and then they lose in dramatic fashion. So Fritzi, it's not just you, Nick, but you're right. I tell him to go get people, and he goes and gets people.
Speaker 10: Well, I know, I kind of finally saw all the sausage made. I always was. It was always amazing to me before we even knew each other. I'm like, man, I know people really like and respect Dane Patrick, but he gets all of the guests you'd want the day you want him, and it turns out it's because you employ a psychopath.
Speaker 2: Yes, that is true. That is true. That that is fair. That is fair. Uh so the other.
Speaker 5: Story that is that was it? That was the story. Okay, that was a.
Speaker 10: Great story that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but that's a story we've heard many, many times from different people.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 2: You had something to say to Nick, Oh, well, yeah, I was gonna say about Nick's story.
Speaker 5: It was a solid move.
Speaker 11: Including the bit about your wife and the table, because not only did you reinforce that your wife is beautiful, but also you just proved that you're supremely confident, Like now, babe, go ahead, you go, sid I'm good, don't worry about it. I'm gonna go walk around. You go have fun. I'll see you later. Don't worry about it. That's a solid flex.
Speaker 10: Oh well thanks, I didn't even think about that. Yeah, yeah, yeah, that too.
Speaker 7: How about that?
Speaker 10: They have solid enough flex.
Speaker 11: Had fun, your gorgeous go enjoy yourself. Don't worry about it. See, at the end of the.
Speaker 2: Day, he ever walked into a room, been in a room with Nick when he walks in, I mean, he's not suffering from insecurity.
Speaker 5: Just saying maybe he should.
Speaker 2: But I'm just saying when he walks in, walks in like Rick Flair, Yeah, it's.
Speaker 5: Like, dude, Wow, that's a that's a bright red.
Speaker 7: Bring the coat.
Speaker 10: You were going to bring up the coat? And did you.
Speaker 2: Did you get your coat from that restaurant yet the.
Speaker 10: Gun club you took you? No? I didn't.
Speaker 2: I never It is still okay, all right, I'll get it and I'll okay, I'll take it.
Speaker 5: To my cart.
Speaker 10: Gone, that's gone. That was a year and a half ago.
Speaker 2: There's nobody that's going to take that coat, Nick. Oh, nobody could wear that coat.
Speaker 10: I wasn't. That's not the orange coat. The orange coat I would have gotten. That was because you mocked the orange coat so badly. I wore a much more conservative dude. I think it's called camel coat, and I left it. I'll see you.
Speaker 5: How much money did you lose on Sunday?
Speaker 10: It's less about how much I lost and more about what I would have won. I uh, because they weren't. I didn't. I actually didn't have to bet the game directly because it is complex. I'm in a gambling consortium where we trade futures like stocks. So I had I had basically a downside risk of less than ten thousand dollars if the Chiefs lost, and an upside of just north of seventy if they won, and a lot of people then would have just bet thirty on the Eagles and lock in a big profit. But there's a name for those people. They're called cowards, and so I just let it ride.
Speaker 2: Keep your head up, keep your head up, as I told you Sunday night, keep your head up. Talk to you Letter two peak, Let's shut it, let's make shirts up. That's Nick Right, hosts of First Things First on Fox Sports one, what's right with Nick right,