Speaker 1: Pushkin. Camila Cabello is in the midst of a creative revival. Her brand new album, c Xoxo was recently dubbed hyper pop by Rolling Stone in the wake of the frenetic first single I Love It featuring Playboy Carti. The track is an entirely new direction for Camilla, who first rose to fame in twenty twelve as a member of the girl group Fifth Harmony. She's been a successful solo artist for nearly a decade now, scoring Billboard hits with Havana and Senorita, among others. On her new album, though, Camilla is racing into uncharted territory with her sound. She enlisted producers Jasper Harris and Alguinho, who's known for his work with Rosalia. Together they introduced a variety of new sounds into Camila's orbit, including all the latest sounds in hip hop, and the result is Camilla's edgiest album yet. On today's episode, I talked to Kamila about the every particular set of creative influences that inspired her new album, including a book by Joan Didion. She also talks about having features from Drake on a new album and why she wanted to make music for Miami spring Breakers. This is broken record liner notes for the Digital Age. I'm justin Mitchman. Here's my conversation with Camilla like Abeo, taped live at the Amazon Music Studios in Culver City. At what point during like a new album sort of cycle, as you're creating it and getting into going into market it, at what point do you stop and decide what like the tour is going to look like and set lists and visuals and stuff like, at what point in the creative process does that start to well?
Speaker 2: I think this was an album that was really like early on in tandem with writing it, I was kind of like drying up like pinterrest boards and stuff, and that kind of influenced the music. Like I remember, you know, kind of putting together this Pinterest board of kind of like what cx SO look like to me, And a lot of it was what you're kind of going to see on the festival stage, like you know, like the BMX culture in Miami and like the spring Breakers and the kind of girls with the sche mass and it being kind of like this kind of almost like girl gang vibe and like the XOXO girls. Like I kind of was thinking of that while we were in the studio, So it's been pretty easy in that sense. It hasn't been very like oh shit, what are we gonna do? Because I feel like this album kind of started as I was like, Okay, I feel like I've always been such a song driven artist, Like everything to me was always like how do I just make the best song, the best you know, like you know, the best chorus melody, and how do I make this lyric really good? I thought of things as very just kind of like self contained in the songs, and then I think, as I've gotten older, the next level is having this kind of world or aesthetic, which I feel like Lana does so well or you know, like I feel like that's like the next evolution for me is having like great songs obviously because that's so important to me, and and that's like obviously, like I feel like the like my starting point is.
Speaker 1: Just like if that's the bedrock for.
Speaker 3: D yeah, that's the bedrock for for everything.
Speaker 1: But like, yeah, the songs for you clearly seem like the bedrock. But this album good songs, but there's definitely.
Speaker 3: Have you heard it yet?
Speaker 1: I have? I have, I have.
Speaker 2: It's really good, really good and everything.
Speaker 1: Well it's I'll say the first time I heard it was with the new single or the first single, I love it. Yeah, and it shocked me, you know what, like that. It was funny, I think, and even going through I love looking at YouTube comments because they're both like the cesspool of society but also a bit of I.
Speaker 2: Love looking at other people's YouTube comments. Mine make me want to jump into this not even graphic just like a.
Speaker 3: Really fast card, but no, it is.
Speaker 2: It is such a good like just like human experiment project, like what do people But okay.
Speaker 1: It is mad. I mean it's mad, it's like a bunch of but but there's also it's also like interesting to sort of just see how people are processing certain things. And it was funny over time when that album first or when the song first came out and the video first came out to see the shock that people had. I think, even just like you going blonde like shocked people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, totally, but.
Speaker 1: It's funny like returning to it, like over the last week or so, you started to see people are kind of catching up with what you're doing. Yeah, And so I had a similar experience with the entire album, which was the first time listening, it's what it's been like, Wow, it was really I love hearing that expecting it. But then by the third, fourth, fifth listening, I.
Speaker 2: Love hearing that because I feel like that's a really honest take, because I feel like, for me, it's like I've been living with these songs for a year now, and I've been living with.
Speaker 3: The world and the kind of like.
Speaker 2: Aesthetic evolution for a while now, and so I've obviously for me, I'm like I kind of my brain was probably like just expects people to just be as excited and and and lean into it as much as I am in the moment, But it.
Speaker 3: Really is important for me to hear you say that that.
Speaker 2: It's so true like with my favorite artists too, like when it's something that you know you haven't heard from them before, it takes you a second to warm up to understand, to recontextualize them. And I remember even like, for example, Anti like work by Rihanna.
Speaker 3: At first, I was like.
Speaker 2: What, like, I'm so confused, Like I don't know if I like this, And then I think it was like a couple months later, I was like, this is the best song of all time, but it.
Speaker 1: And the one of the best albums and one of them that whole decade of her career of R and B period, And I.
Speaker 2: Think it also I'm not by any means like because I don't think comparisons like.
Speaker 3: That exist, but I think it.
Speaker 2: I always like, I'm thinking about that now and I'm like, oh yeah, that also took us, like took a second. And I think it's so true when you, like, when you pivot and you're trying to do like something new, it just like takes people a second and you shouldn't take it personally.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, But also even before hearing the album or the singles, I was super shocked and excited that you were working with Elgwen Show. Yeah, because I mean I've been listening to Elgwen Show for like a decade now. Really incredible artist like his like his artists, Yeah, yeah, yeah, his head that he's he's phenomenally phenomenal. And it was like shot. I was like wait a second, like she's like because she's got interesting tastes, like how did how did it happen? Because he's not the obvious.
Speaker 3: Choice as as like somebody in the pops.
Speaker 1: Yeah you're a pops. I mean you're an artist, but you're also your pop star, which I feel like, do you kind of probably have to work to appease both, but I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't really work to like appease both.
Speaker 2: And I've never really been somebody who, like, I don't really try to cater to what I think people want from me or expect from me. I really just like every time, I just kind of follow my instincts. And you know, I remember my first album, like I worked with like Frank Duke's and you know, he had never worked with like a pop artist before, somebody coming from like a girl group who was like a pop girl group, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I think with Green Show, I think I gravitate to people that take risks and you know, make kind of like fresh choices, and I feel like he's somebody that has such a like consistent fresh perspective, especially on like because I don't even know, I wouldn't even say, like, I wouldn't say Rose is like a pop stars, do you know what I mean? Like she kind of exists in her on lane, and I really that's kind of what I'm working towards, is like I don't want to be perceived as like a pop girl. I just kind of want to be me like outside of that. But anyway, but back to gen show, Yeah, I mean, I just I love like weirdos in the music space, and I love like weirdo producers.
Speaker 3: I love weirdo.
Speaker 2: Artists, and I really try to like always like align myself with the weirdos because I think they pull. Because I feel like the weirdos are are the ones that are not afraid to take risks.
Speaker 3: They're not trying to like.
Speaker 2: Have you know, oh, what's been the thing that's working, and how can we make something that works like the thing that we know that's gonna work? Like they I feel like they're the people that are gonna make unpredictable choices. They're the people that are gonna, you know, drive the label people crazy because they're like, we know that this is weird. We know that this, you know, is like a leap from the stuff she's done before. And I like those people because they make me also bold enough to follow those instincts in myself.
Speaker 3: And that's when I feel happiest. I feel happiest.
Speaker 2: When like I make a song like you know, I love it or he knows where I feel like I've done something different and something that feels like I followed my curiosity than just like having a big song that doesn't like excite me.
Speaker 3: Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like when when it's something that feels creatively fulfilling and it hits commercially totally.
Speaker 3: I mean, if it hits commercial, no complaints here.
Speaker 2: But I think if I had to pick one, I feel like I always feel better when it's when it feels like when I just feel proud of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so yeah, But I mean it felt in so many ways like the pop world was kind of just catching up to you anyways. You grew up your Cuban, your Mexican, you grew up in Miami, And it's been incredible to see over the last handful of years the way that like popular culture and pop music has has sort of enmeshed with like Latin culture and Latin music, particularly from the Caribbean. You know, es is so much of the sound of your early records, your earlier records, So it's like not only is it like a detour from what you've been doing, but it's like kind of like you're deviating also from where popular music is going, and popul music was like turning towards you. So it's like it's a really bold moves. It's it's really I don't know. It was really impressive to me listening to it that that's, yeah, where you're deciding to go. Now, this is where you're deciding to go.
Speaker 2: Well, I think I when I'm in the studio, I really am just like I'm writing for myself and I'm making music for myself. And if I'm just like, oh, this feels like you know, Havana Part three, then I feel like I get kind of bored, you know. And I also think like I feel like this was almost a new take on you know for me, like Havannah and drawing on those sounds from my culture was like me exploring those parts of myself at that time. And I also was like, Okay, what perspective do I have that nobody or other people don't, you know, And that felt fresh at the time, Like at that time, Havana was like whoa, Like this is like super weird because it has this kind of like Cuban you know, like done son piano, but it has like these eight O waights Like that was like fresh at that time. Now it's like like you said like it.
Speaker 3: We hear that.
Speaker 2: A lot, so it's kind of like, okay, like what's I'm just always like, okay, what haven't I heard that I would want to here? And I almost feel like this album feels like the other stuff was exploring kind of Latin culture, Cuban culture, you know, sometimes like the Mexican like Madiachi music on my last album, Familia, and this one is like more Miami, which I feel like is like, you know, it's like this melting pot of like you're driving around in Miami and you hear like afrobeat, you hear rigaton, you hear hip hop.
Speaker 3: You hear like a lot of these different things.
Speaker 1: You still live in Miami, right, Yeah, how do you experience Miami differently now from when you were a kid?
Speaker 2: I think I like it more now because I think when you grow up in a place, you always I feel like, just don't appreciate it. Yeah, right, just like this is boring, and I think living in other places and spending a lot of time in LA and spending not to hate on LA, but you know what I mean, like but a little bit, but that's up. You know what, though, it's different when it's your hometown because I get it very totally different experience when I'm.
Speaker 1: Here in Miami. In LA are very similar in the sense of like, people come to LA and I was like, that's wow, it's so flashy, it's so and then I go to i.
Speaker 3: Fla to Miami and I'm guilty, guilty, this is how people feel.
Speaker 1: Come to LA because all of a sudden, I'm like, what, like me too, I mean I came everywhere, come.
Speaker 2: To LA and I'm like, what, like, I don't feel like the real people like I don't feel.
Speaker 3: And and you probably the same one. People come to Miami.
Speaker 2: They're like, oh, you're at like Nikki Beach and I'm like, no, I've been there one time.
Speaker 3: That's not the experience I get in Miami. I think.
Speaker 2: I think, like, for example, like making this album in Miami, like when I'm in writing mode, I'm like, I was talking about this the other day. It's almost like you're just like looking at everything with like just extra attention, you know what I mean, and it makes you There's this quote that says something like, look at your city with the eyes of a tourist, like with the eyes of somebody that's like never there before. And I remember just I'm trying to say like more and like less in general and interviews because I feel like I say like a lot.
Speaker 1: Good luck.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, I say it's so much.
Speaker 1: I'm trying interview, so I'm happy you're doing.
Speaker 3: Oh no cursing is that's that'll be the last thing to go.
Speaker 2: But the likes, Damn, it's just like I just insert it instead of a pause, but I'll just pause.
Speaker 3: But anyway, Yeah, I feel like, fuck it whatever.
Speaker 2: I feel like I would just go into the studio and just kind of just and even be driving back at night and be like, Wow, these lights. You don't get this like specific shade of yellow and orange anywhere else. Or you don't get this kind of music. You don't get, you know, this kind of what they call Miami English.
Speaker 3: You know, the.
Speaker 2: Slang and the whatever anywhere else you don't get the you know, the the this look of the skyline you don't get you know. I was just really looking at it with extra attention, and I think looking at anything with extra attention, everything becomes more beautiful. Yeah, And I think that's kind of how I feel about Miami. I suddenly was looking at it for writing purposes, for research purposes, and you know, writing down everything that felt to me like you know, like representative of her.
Speaker 1: And is that part of your writing process as you're living your life and going around doing things, something strikes you in the moment. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I notice, for example, like right now, I'm in rehearsal mode, and so when I'm not in rehearsal, like I'll be like looking at the videos, or I'll be practicing, or I'll be whatever. And then writing time, when I'm like making an album is the time where I have the luxury of just being like I wake up in the morning and I you know, bring my iPad to like a coffee shop and I'll just like write down anything. If I had any kind of adventures that week or whatever, I'll just kind of write it down like a diary entry, or I'll just kind of be able to have the time to really take stock of everything.
Speaker 3: And write it down.
Speaker 2: But for example, like right now, it's like this whole phase of my life where I'm rehearsing, there could be tons of things I could be writing about if I was making an album.
Speaker 3: Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm going to ask a lot of just like weird because I'm obsessed with like the demands of being like a pop star, you know, and and I know you're feeling like and that's why. But it's like, because it's like it is a very unique lifestyle and unique from me. Even there's only a certain percentage of people in the world who are in the arts, and even smaller percentage of people who are in the arts and could be considered pop stars. So it's like, is there there Your life sort of is lived in phases necessarily, is there a phase of life that you yes, like more dislike the most? Like what were my writing phase?
Speaker 2: The writing phase is my favorite for me. But when I, for example, if we were in the studio for more than two weeks, I would need to take a break and then just live some life because I run out of things to say, you know, because I usually just have thoughts and ideas, and then I'm like, well, I don't have anything else to say because I've been in the studio with you motherfuckers for the last two weeks. So there's you know, I got to go and go on a date. I gotta go get on a fight with someone, and I get something because otherwise, you know, I think the buck stops here, So it usually is like for me, that's usually my favorite phase is like the year of like writing, and then you.
Speaker 3: Go take a few days off writing, take a few days off, come back writing.
Speaker 1: I'm back. Like.
Speaker 2: I love that because I also that's a time where I feel like I'm also when I'm writing, I'm devouring other forms of art as input. So I'm like reading a lot, listening to a lot of music, watching a lot of movies, even like going to see like physical art in museums because I feel like I benefit from a lot of input and then I get like newer and newer forms of output.
Speaker 1: After a quick break, we'll be back with more from Kamila Cabello. We're back with Kamila Cabello. What were you taking in like in the beginning stages of this album or throughout?
Speaker 3: Oh, I wrote it down on my iPad? Can I pull it out?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Incredible.
Speaker 2: Brought my iPad because I had it felt like, you know, if there's any podcasts that I can nerd out and bring my my trustee Patty, please, this is the iPad I wrote down like some of the books and like some of the references and stuff so these are the books that I read. Okay, so Joan Diddy and the White Album.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a great book.
Speaker 2: Great, great book, right, Candy House, Jennifer Egan, Bird by Bird by m LaMotte.
Speaker 3: Did you ever read that? It's about writing?
Speaker 1: Really? Yeah, I'm gonna have to check that out. I don't know it.
Speaker 2: Bird by Bird, My Year of Rest and Relaxation. Uh, Metamorphosis by Friends Friends.
Speaker 1: Kafka, Wow, you're reading some co I was.
Speaker 2: Reading some classics, but I was mostly reading. I was reading a lot of Sally Rooney. I was reading a lot of books by girls going through things in their twenties because I was like, I just love the like inner dialogue, and I wanted to have exactly exactly what else did I write down here? This poetry podcast poetryon Bound.
Speaker 3: But I love that podcast. It really has taught me so much.
Speaker 2: Oh, these are just like things like kind of guidelines of c xoxo.
Speaker 1: But what I don't know I want to hear that's.
Speaker 3: Well, this is just yeah, like this is just some stuff.
Speaker 2: Like I remember talking to my therapist a lot about this. This album kind of being about questions without answers, and you know that quote that's like uh Rainer Maria Rilka, that's like Livia Questions, where it's like letters to a young poet where he's like, but I don't.
Speaker 3: Know what to do, like do I do this with my life? Do I do this with my life?
Speaker 2: And he's like, don't wait until you know the answer, live your questions. And I feel like a lot of my songs before were very like bam bam, it's like we broke up and yay, and you know, my own lind it's like he's a bad boy and ooh and you know, it's very kind of these neat neat lines. Yeah, totally, Whereas I feel like a lot of these songs are almost like zooming in on one moment, which is my favorite thing about poetry. For example, where it's like I don't know, like twenty some things is like.
Speaker 3: It's like you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a lot of ankst. It's a lot of not knowing.
Speaker 3: A lot of not knowing totally not being sure of yourself even I love It. It is just like a zoom in on just a very tiny feeling.
Speaker 1: Do you remember the genesis of I Love It?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I do.
Speaker 2: We were thinking about so we had maybe like fifty percent of the album kind of done, and then one day I was like, okay, well what would be our first or track one because we were kind of starting to mock up a track list and I was listening to a lot of Cardi and I played this one song by Cardi called mister Rage.
Speaker 3: You know that song.
Speaker 2: I don't know that one so good, but I was just like, whoa, the energy of that I was so obsessed with. I think I've always gravitated towards since and this album.
Speaker 3: I was like, let's just let's just go there.
Speaker 2: Leaned, I leaned in ye and so yeah, so Jasper started playing those chords and then I went in the booth and I started singing the verse, the.
Speaker 3: Supersonic you of Ita Nana. It probably was.
Speaker 2: It probably wasn't all the words, but I do think supersonic was the was a word that was in the because I usually that's how I write. It's like kind of like freestyle mumble and then kind of fill in the words after cool. Yeah. And so then I saw the guys and they were like, oh my god, and I was like, yeah, I love it. And the auto tune kind of did something and then I like kind of kept singing it and they were like yeah, like keep saying it whatever, and then that's how the chorus happened. And then gin Cho put in that Lemonade sample right because I think and I think he'll probably explain to like where he was thinking about it, But we were at that time, we were already like, this is a Miami album, and we were thinking of like people from Miami or Miami Transplants or spring Breakers and Gucci Mane kind of yeah, like straddles both of those things, spring Breakers and Miami Transplant and yep, yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's so literally the I was an aspect. I love it, I love it, I love it. It was just because they were kept telling you keep going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I think but I think before I probably before this album, I wouldn't have kept going with a choice like that. I would have been like, no, you know, this needs more words, right, And I think that you know, in this album, one like listening to people like Cardi where it is you know, it feels instinctive and visceral, and then also learning that you know, repetition is also intentional.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know it sounds like the feeling.
Speaker 1: There's a power in a print, you know. It's that Prince on Joy and repetition. There's like a joy or power and and sometimes there's like a like all right, you know, because that's the thing with repetition. I love it. I love it. It's like cool. And then it's like halfway through it's like kind of I'm kind of done with this.
Speaker 3: But then you change the note or something.
Speaker 1: Something, or you just keep going and by the end of you like, wait, I'm in Like.
Speaker 3: This is incredibly Yes, it's so true.
Speaker 1: There's a power, there's a there's a there's a there really is a power in.
Speaker 2: It because it hits your body differently. Yeah, every time you.
Speaker 1: Say it, every time, every single time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: What are the ways in which because you worked with Jasper Harris as well, Yes and el Gwen show, Yes, what are the ways in which they kind of pushed you or took you out of your comfort zone? Oh?
Speaker 3: So much? That was they took me on my comfort zone. The whole time. I was like, can y'all just leave me in here for a second?
Speaker 2: But no, I love that about them, And that's actually that's why I wanted to work with them. And I think That's why I probably really expanded my references. And if I would show up and be like, oh, like I love this song, then they would show me, you know, eight more kind of underground songs that I didn't know.
Speaker 3: And I feel like.
Speaker 2: That really yeah, just kind of like it expanded, you know, my kind of input folder.
Speaker 1: And are there any of the names that like they shared with you that are on there totally?
Speaker 2: I mean I don't think I've really listened to they are like, we're massive, massive Cardi fans, Like they talked about Cardi so so much, and I think that made me, like, then I started listening to him more. And like, you know, uh Im Triplin, Pabula showed me Im Triplin. I mean, so many people, even like ethel Kine Jasper showed me. They showed me a lot of, like I feel like, amazing artists and amazing songs. For example, I remember this one song Dreamgirls, like we were in the Bahamas.
Speaker 3: We went to Bahamas.
Speaker 1: And and jazz yes wow.
Speaker 2: And literally we were just we just barely saw the sunlight, like we were just in the studio the whole time.
Speaker 3: I was so tired by the time we left. It was so much but we got a.
Speaker 2: Lot of the album done there, but anyway that this was after like Chanel number five and a lot of the I feel like thesis, which Chanel number five I consider kind of like the thesis statement, like the centerpiece of the table that is cxoxo. And for example, like we were we were working on dream Girls in the Bahamas, and you know, I would do like I would write the verse or whatever, and they'd be like, yeah, like it's it's good, but I feel like it's like I don't know, it's like Chanelle number five, like you did that, you know, like I feel like there's like this bar now.
Speaker 3: And I did like maybe three more.
Speaker 2: Versions of verses, and I was like at some point I was like they were just hating, like what do they want from it? But they were right, they were right, and I you know, I I pushed myself and I got the verse that I got like out of dream Girls because I feel like they are consistently challenging me and pushing me to be like it's good, but it's not excellent. Right, Everybody needs people like that, you know, Like that's like that kind of we constantly had that creative tension where we were always you know, getting into little things, but in a good way because I think it really it constantly pushed me to be better. And I you know, I tell them this all the time, Like I was, like, you guys have made me a better writer and a better art artists and you know.
Speaker 1: Had a typical way of working in the studio free before. Like would you have those kinds of dust ups with with collaborators, producers, writers in the past.
Speaker 3: I did with like I did with Frank for sure.
Speaker 2: Like I think that that push and pull is it's important because it's so easy for things to just be Yeah, and it can happen even with yourself. I can it can happen with myself where I can be like I like that melody. That melody is cool, and this lyric is cool, and that's a cool and that's.
Speaker 3: A cool song. I like it.
Speaker 2: And it's easy to just put out things that are just cool. And I've done it, you know what I mean. But it's not a business for them. There really are about craftsmanship and about respecting the craft and the integrity of a project and the integrity of things.
Speaker 3: And they're real artists, they really are, both of them.
Speaker 2: And yeah, they really I'm I think the thing that I'm the most thankful for for this project is how much I feel like it leveled. It made me step my game up as a writer.
Speaker 1: Confident.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, yes, yeah totally. I just feel like I learned so much. I feel like it was a boot camp for me. And I think, you know, when I listened to even now, because I'm in rehearsals and I'm listening to older songs and whatever, I'm like, I can see, for example, where oh this line could have been tweaked or this could could have been better on old songs based on what I know now, because I think before, I think I was just following instincts and doing the best with whatever instincts I had at that moment. But now I feel like I've have guide guidelines for what I think is cool.
Speaker 1: Can I tell you some of that please?
Speaker 3: And I was just thinking, I was just thinking out loud.
Speaker 2: I was like, I feel like I became a big fan of just like Show Don't Tell.
Speaker 1: Show Don't Tell. How do you think that comes up in the album.
Speaker 2: Like instead of being like, instead of being like he's so obsessed with me, it's like fold for me, Like Origami Oh does that make sense?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a way better line.
Speaker 3: Is way better line.
Speaker 2: But I hope that didn't sound doesn't sound obnoxious because I have what I'm saying is I before I probably would have said things like something said and more tried to be like. I follow this Instagram account called the Paris Review, and I think Greta Gerwig said something like the only way to make something universal is like to make it as specific as possible.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, and it's right, yes, absolutely.
Speaker 2: And it's like Taylor has been saying that for such a long time and rappers have been doing that for such a long time, where it's like, you know, and ginshow is like a huge hip hop head, so he would always tell me, you know, I would come in with my perspective of like probably more pop songwriting, which is like the beginning of the story, middle of the story, end of the story, and he'd be like, you know, in rap songs, it's like you're in this scene and now you're in the car, and now you're in the bar, and now you're here and now you know, there's a glass and now there's shoes and the shoes are beige, and now there's like it's like all sensory and colors and painting all of these different pictures where it's like a movie that you can see in your head and like these flash cuts. And I learned so much from that, and I learned so much from rappers and.
Speaker 3: Hip hop and the way that I saw.
Speaker 2: Jay Z said something that Sizza reposted yesterday, which is like, you know when people are like, I don't know, like Paul McCartney is one of the greatest writers of all time. I think Biggie Smalls is too, you know where it's like the.
Speaker 1: I think Paul would probably agree with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally, totally. I don't even think he said Paul mcartny. I think he said somebody else, but I can't remember. But it's like, yeah, just like the it's like it's like poetry, and because poetry is so sensory and visual.
Speaker 3: And I don't think I was conscious of that before.
Speaker 2: I think, like, coincidentally, my favorite songs that I've ever done before, like first Man from a from a writing perspective, I'm like, I'm so proud of that song thank You, or.
Speaker 3: Used to This that I did with Phineas.
Speaker 2: There's like they're very specific and like the callouses on your fingers. Like every time, I was like, this is one of my favorite songs.
Speaker 3: I did that.
Speaker 1: That's a good point. Yeah, that's a great line too. There's calases on your finger and I forget how long ago, and now I feel them on my face and yeah.
Speaker 2: And I admire them from a distance. Now they're on my cheeks. And I think Phineas and Billy do that a lot too. But I think this album, I was really like, this is what I like this, this is my ship.
Speaker 3: Sally Rooney does it, Joan Didion does it, and I and and and I.
Speaker 2: I just yeah, I was like, this is the show. Don't tell album. I don't want to do these universal statements. I wanted to be as sensory as possible, which is why I think Chanel number five is my favorite song that I've that I've written, because I feel like it is written from that kind of like rap perspective where it's just like, oh, Makassi shabari whoop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, it's like all these different pictures.
Speaker 1: No. So that's so that's why that's like the mission statement of the album for you, Shanela.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I feel like it's like it has I feel like all of my tastes and all the things I like coming together, which is like this like kind of whimsical, alternative, weird thing and then like hip hop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in one song.
Speaker 1: Are there were there other kind of guide guidelines you kind of wanted?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like show Don't Tell was one, right, I think the sensory thing was big.
Speaker 1: There really is a visceralness like to that to the album, and and it's you know what's funny has I hadn't really thought about it, but you know, we always talk about like the album and then the visuals, and then we think about them as these I think because there are visuals and going back to MTV or whatever, there's there's always visuals. You can rely on the video to provide the like this is what what this is, how I'm seeing. This is how you should see the song, you know. But what is cool about this album is like you're able to see the song before you see a visuals. You know.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I think that I was listening to so much rap, and I think that that probably influenced because I love melodies and I love like pop melodies, like I love like a I love a melody but I do feel like I love when a rap song comes out and I like go on genius and have to be like, what is this?
Speaker 3: What is this?
Speaker 2: They just there's like so many things, like tangible things.
Speaker 1: Were you were you like a big hip hop fan growing up or not as much I was.
Speaker 2: But I think I leaned into it more for this album because also gin Show and Jasper.
Speaker 3: Were showing me so many more things too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: We I think when you're making an album with people, you kind of obviously it's like it's you, but you're also in the room with these people like ten hours a day, and you're gonna be talking about your favorite songs and wherever there's overlapt you know, Like I feel like they're such huge like hip hop and rap lovers.
Speaker 3: Like I think we kind of like that's what we.
Speaker 1: Your love, your love of melody, their sort of sense of like really like deep love of knowledge of hip hop, kind of blending those.
Speaker 3: Two exactly totally.
Speaker 1: It's amazing, totally talking about your love of hip hop going on genius. Drake is on two songs on the album. Yes, but how we feel about this Drake, what I mean Drake is kind of it's going through hard time right now.
Speaker 2: I'm you know, I obviously have huge respect for both of them, but I also something that's really important to me and my friendships and as a value is is loyalty and also and speaking the truth about people that you know. And I really will talk all day about how generous he was to work with, like throughout this whole process, how much he really is like a true music lover who was like, oh, like, you know, I want to like hear your album, and I want to see the video, and I want to contribute something and I'm so excited about what you're doing and I and genuinely like, you know, does not need anything from me, but was is I feel like always you know, puts other people on. So I DMed him. I was like, hey, I would love to play my album. He was like, I'd love to hear it, and.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So then we met up and I played in my album and it was kind of like a little bit more in the rough stages, but I played him number five, I played I Love It, I played him twenty somethings, and he played me some of for all the Dogs Wow, And I was like, I remember having this moment where I was like, Wow, this is crazy because I listened to Drake before I was even.
Speaker 3: Famous or whatever. Famous is a lame word, but you know what.
Speaker 1: I mean, Yeah, you got famous young. I mean yeah, before you were famous. Yeah that's that's your truth.
Speaker 2: So anyway, so yeah, then I think it was like a couple of weeks later he sent me this kind of demo, this hot up town, and he.
Speaker 3: Was like, what do you think about this? I like, I kind of think this could be sick. And I was like, oh my god, I love it.
Speaker 2: And I went into the studio with Pablo in Miami and I was like, I am not wasting any time.
Speaker 3: And I wrote my parts like whatever.
Speaker 2: And then we kind of cut back and forth to make it sound like a duet and sent it to him and he was like hard and all caps, and I was like.
Speaker 1: Did it? Did it? Had? That must have been kind of big for guin show too, like I'd imagine that's it.
Speaker 2: And and Jazpers like the biggest drap Like we're always like, well, he's the best.
Speaker 1: Like he's got did you can Jasper? Because I'm not super familiar with.
Speaker 3: Them, but I know Jasper is they're both fucking geniuses.
Speaker 2: Like they're just insane, and Jasper is it's really rare to find producers like both of them, and I'm lucky I got two where it's their taste. It's not even that they're just musically talented and that they you'll be talking about an idea and they will pick the right pick the best chords, which Jasper does. But it's also he sees like a larger vision and he sees, you know, oh, this flow would be so sick, and like this person would be so sick on that song and.
Speaker 3: This texture and whatever.
Speaker 2: Like his taste level is just amazing, and he's always putting me onto new music too. He's always talking about McGee. I don't know what McGhee, he's always that's that's his latest.
Speaker 1: So Gwen Show was first, and then Jasper.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Green Show was first, and yeah, he was act the first producer that I reached out to for this project. And yeah, and so we did like a few songs and then we I think I worked with maybe a couple more people, and then I was like, no, Green Show is it?
Speaker 3: Green Show?
Speaker 1: Is it? Well? It's interesting too because I feel like Familia was the first time, I mean, you worked with Frank Duke's a lot. But I feel like Ricky Reid on Familia was like the first time seemed like you like really bunkered down with someone and like was like, we're going to do this like one to one, you know. I mean there's more people involved in that record, yes, yeah.
Speaker 3: One hundred.
Speaker 2: I think with Frank it was like me and him. But I was so it was my first album, so I was like, oh my god, like I had, you know, the most imposter syndrome, and I was like, well, we must have the best people in town to help, you know. And I think the second album it was like that but a little bit less. And then I think the third album familiar. I was like, you know, I want to do this with a small group of people, like we can do it and it feels better. And and I think for me, like writing is so you know, I'm just like I'm sensitive and I just can't open up if it's like somebody I don't know, like I saw it.
Speaker 3: I had to kick someone out.
Speaker 1: You did you kicked something? We won't to say who. You kicked someone out.
Speaker 3: I don't know his name, but you know, like.
Speaker 2: And so even like if I can't be like vulnerable and intimate in my writing. If it's like my first day meeting you. That's why I think. I think that is also something I've learned, like from now on, it's always going to have to be.
Speaker 3: The same.
Speaker 2: Small, tiny family for an album, because otherwise I just can't open up. And there were even some songs here that I would kick, you know, I would kick Pablo and jazz Bro Yeah, you know, like I like twenty somethings in June Gloom. I was like, I can't write this chorus with you guys in here like that.
Speaker 3: Just get out.
Speaker 1: After one last break, we'll be back with more from Camilla Cabeo. We're back with the rest of my conversation with Camila Cabello. I was talking to him, boy, I was like, you know, because he did that run of like he did four or five NODS records, like where he was the sole producer, and it was interesting, like not in the documentary. Did you see that in Hip Hop Revolution? Yeah? Well, and then going back to like Ellmatic, that first NODS record is the first time that like someone was like, I'm gonna work with all these different producers and they were like.
Speaker 3: The top producers at the top, ye.
Speaker 1: Q Tip Premiere, who else is on that large professor whatever, whatever, whatever, But it's it's it's funny, and I feel like that opened up a thing where people work with a bunch of different producers, like these big camps, and that sort of become the thing.
Speaker 2: But it gives me anxiety to be honest with you, because I actually did that. I remember from my first album, I you know, it was Frank and then I went into like Max Martin's thing.
Speaker 1: And I read I was a Max Martin.
Speaker 3: I mean I was, to be honest, I was so young.
Speaker 2: I was like twenty, which I don't know, maybe that doesn't seem that young, but for my age at that time, I was like kind of seventeen inside yeah, you know, because I started at fifteen.
Speaker 3: So I was just like, my god, and it was Max Martin, Like I was like, what the fuck? What am I doing?
Speaker 2: This is so much and I at that time, Max Martin, I'm working with Pharrell. I was like, what is going on? And I just wanted to prove myself to these people. I literally wasn't even thinking to be honest with you, which is not the way to be. But I wasn't even thinking about what's gonna make the best song?
Speaker 3: Walking out of here? I was just trying to prove that I was good to Parrell.
Speaker 1: Well, how do you do that as you're twenty and you're in a studio with Pharrell?
Speaker 2: Literally wanted him to think I was good. I didn't even care like this song, I didn't care. I was just like, I just want Pharrell to walk out of here thinking I'm a good writer.
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Period?
Speaker 1: What can I bring to this? Really? As a toy like that? You know, it's like you kind of I could imagine that feeling.
Speaker 2: It's just I think when it's like too many superstar, so many superstar producers, it kind of just makes me anxious. Like even Ginsho in the beginning, I was so nervous. I felt like I needed needed to prove myself to him, and I would tell him is the tea?
Speaker 3: And Ricky too, and.
Speaker 2: Frank God, I'm so so vulnerable with all of them. But that's what you can do when you, you know, hunker down.
Speaker 3: With people, you can be like.
Speaker 2: I remember, like I would literally be like, are you comparing me to blink right now?
Speaker 3: Because I'm crazy and I have way I need more of a filter. And he would be like, what are you kidding?
Speaker 2: No, what, But then you see them as a human, which is where I need to be in order to write.
Speaker 3: I cannot see you as a superstar producer.
Speaker 1: Rachel too is just like a cool factor too that I could have met, Like, I mean I never I never met him, but just like listening to his music, You're like, that's a guy who knows a lot about a lot.
Speaker 2: Well he yeah, I mean he he schooled the fuck out of me, which is amazing. But that I want to be around people who school me constantly because that's the only way that I can get better. Yeah, And I feel like that's like what I feel like mad made this album so creatively fulfilling and rewarding is that I wasn't fucking school Like I was like, you know, I was listening to classic albums that I'd never heard before because.
Speaker 3: I grew up music. It was all Latin music.
Speaker 2: It was Latin music plus Michael Jackson, Universal period and that that was.
Speaker 3: Pretty much it.
Speaker 2: So I kind of went back and I was like, oh, what is this radiohead that people keep talking about?
Speaker 3: You know what it like?
Speaker 2: So I think, yeah, I just like did a lot of studying on this album.
Speaker 1: That's cool. So do you think all this is going to inform the next thing, the next thing moving forward your career your I.
Speaker 2: Think so, Yeah, for sure, I think I you know, I think like gin Cho and like I think that I always kind of need to work with people like gin Cho who really know their shit and.
Speaker 3: Just hold me to like a higher standard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think that's like, Yeah, something I really learned is just really putting a lot of love and care into something, which I feel like I really did. I put a lot of love and care into it, and I just love it.
Speaker 1: It's a very cool. It's a great album. I'm still I still like I love it a lot of it because it is straight up and it's like the funny thing too, is you kicked it off with like the the strength, the weirdest song on the album, like you didn't hold it. You didn't hold you didn't hold back, like you were just like we're announced album, we're going and it is so it's like abrasive. It's abrasive copy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I actually hate when I Do you think I was right when I.
Speaker 3: Called it hyper pop?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I don't know, Okay, I don't know what that means. People say it.
Speaker 2: I don't because I like said it and then it was like this hyper pop song and I was like, guys, it's not though, like it's it's so many things at the same time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's a lot of things. I mean, it's a lot of it's a very it's a visceral record. I mean the stuff on me that sounds like like that no wave stuff like that, like that late seventies, early eighties New York like underground club stuff. It's just so it's such a I don't know, just ooze is like a cool I think that I love it. Yeah, it is it.
Speaker 3: I also think like that's it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I was telling my choreographer, uh, my choreographers, Calvit and Sarah Yesterday, who I've worked with for a long time, because we have like I love it and we have like Dave County dreaming.
Speaker 3: Did you hear it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's you the album enough because I got sent to stream and the link was but I can't wait to hear it.
Speaker 2: But like on both of those songs, I feel like I I yeah, I feel like mainly most of those songs man Hot of Town and I don't know me, but mostly.
Speaker 1: I not z x cut is really cool too. I mean he sounds like really he sounds amazing.
Speaker 3: Though, no, he went crazy on his verse.
Speaker 1: How did that happen?
Speaker 2: He's really close with Jasper, and so I think we were always just kind of like in the same family circles and uh he Jasper like played him my album and he loved it. And I think we've always been like kind of like loving and supportive of each other for the past, like since we've met, like six years ago, and I just always loved him. I just think he's like such an incredible artist. And we were thinking of like who to have on that song, and Jasper was like, oh, like what about nas And he had never done a feature before at that time, so I was like, I don't know if he's going to do it, but we asked, and we were so excited about the idea of like us both singing about the same guy or fighting over the same guy, because it's just like I just never seen that before.
Speaker 1: It's just such a such a funny concept and perfect challenges having just come out like the same person. It's like that kind of drama of that. And he's like, yeah, I wasn't sure what to expect from it, you know, like what he would sound like on it, And it is really cool, like I don't know, it sounds like he's almost in character or something like he's.
Speaker 3: Playing with new stuff too, because he said the other.
Speaker 2: Day he was playing with the kind of like like kind of like Jamaican like New York, like the sounds like the.
Speaker 3: Whatever.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, he's kind of you know, exploring different things in his different pockets too.
Speaker 1: That's so cool.
Speaker 2: But I was gonna say about Dade County Dreaming and I love it. I feel like those were feelings that I always put on other people's music to tap into, like this feeling of like bravado or cockiness or like you know, like which I feel like rap gives you.
Speaker 3: Like this feeling of just like can't fuck with me?
Speaker 1: Yeah you know what I mean. Those songs have that.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I'm just like excited that I get to kind of I feel like I am able to embody that now in my own music.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love it. Have you had a chance to go to Cuba?
Speaker 3: I was born there, but like back when I was fourteen.
Speaker 1: When what was the how was how was that I haven't been.
Speaker 2: Able to go again just because like passport issues and stuff like that. But it was it was like right before I auditioned for X Factor and my grandparents.
Speaker 3: No, my grandma was still living there at the time.
Speaker 2: Now she lives in Miami and I had tons of family there. I still have family there, but a lot of people have come to Miami now, thank god. Honestly, what I mostly remember is like I was like obsessed with Justin Bieber.
Speaker 3: At the time. They had no Internet.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and like they only had like the like an email app and like Solitaire, but they had no Internet at all.
Speaker 3: So when the whole.
Speaker 2: World was obsessed with like Justin Bieber, They're like, we don't know who that is. And I was like, no, guys, Justin Bieber, No for sure, No, I don't know. I haven't been back, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the situation is rough.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, it's bad. I was there a few years back.
Speaker 3: And what was your experience?
Speaker 1: Very very strange, strange, Like it was a weird experience because the people are so incredible.
Speaker 3: The people are.
Speaker 1: Just precious, some of the greatest people on the planet that I've come across.
Speaker 3: Warm, so warm, so generous, so loving. My mommy's Cuban.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's who is right, Yeah, yeah, yeah, there's a warmth, man, there's just a warmth. But you know, then obviously, but then you're like also balancing that with that and obviously the country itself is beautiful.
Speaker 3: The terrainanape, the landscapes insane.
Speaker 1: But then then you but then you're also a knowledge and you're like, you know, remember I met a guy there, amazing guy, so cool, and he was like showing us around and we're like, come, like, come have dinner, Like, let's just get your dinner. And he was like, this is the first time I've had like lobster in twenty years. Like how you live by the ocean, what do you mean my.
Speaker 2: Mom my mom never had lobster until I you know, yeah had money now, but she never had They barely had meat or chicken or eggs. They had like four eggs a month.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's it's so it's it's it's just it's a really I don't know. I always recommend it for people to go because you just can't. It's it's it's you. I don't know if that level of uh, you know, it's just so bifurcated. It's so weird my thinking on it. It's so strange where it's like people are beautiful, trains beautiful, it's lovely, and the music's incredible. I've never been to more musical place in my life. New Orleans would be second, which is saying something, yes, totally, but then you're like, man, these people have like like there's no help. You know, It's like it's kind of tragic. It's very tragic.
Speaker 2: I know, I wonder, like I feel like music and that warmth and that generosity is also like a has evolved out of that paint too, and that yeah, you know hardship.
Speaker 1: Right, which is another tough, tough thing to stomach. It's like, yeah, all that pain did bring a certain level of beauty.
Speaker 3: Out of totally.
Speaker 2: Have you ever seen this documentary, Cuba and the Cameraman. No, It's on Netflix. It's amazing. It was the first time that I understood because I had always heard my grandma and my mom talking about, you know, the different phases of the Cuban Revolution and then what the situation was looking like when my mom left to go to Mexico. But that documentary, it's basically it's the same guy a shot on one camera forty years of traveling to Cuba, I think every ten years. So you see in the beginning everything is amazing, and then maybe twenty years later you see him going to the supermarkets and there's nothing on the shelves. You see him, you know, going up to people and he's like, can I get a beer? Can I get some meat? They're like, we don't have anything. It was just the first time that I was like, oh, wow, I've seen I'm seeing now through visuals and images what my grandma and my mom lived.
Speaker 1: And we're talking because you didn't understand that by the time you left right.
Speaker 2: When you no, no, no, no, I mean I was seven, so I definitely I would. You know, as a kid, you have no stresses and you know your parents. My parents, I feel like always kind of carried the burdens for me, like they never you know what I mean. Yeah, So, yeah, I was having a I was having a great time. But now I have cousins that like in the past, every year, I feel like I have new family members that come because we're trying to get more and more people kind of out. Yeah and yeah. The things that they say is like it's so crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, why did your dad go to Cuba by the way, because he's from Mexico.
Speaker 3: My dad is from Mexico.
Speaker 2: He only went to Cuba after my mom was pregnant with me, and it was just like to kind of visit family, got it.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right. It's just such an interesting background that you have.
Speaker 4: Then I feel very lucky because I just love I just love having access to like my Cuban side and my Mexican side, like the people, like the food in Miami.
Speaker 2: Like I feel so happy that there's actually one song that didn't make the album because it's like not cxoxo, but it was called Broken English that.
Speaker 3: I wrote about my mom.
Speaker 2: Oh cool, And there was like this one line that was like empty chairs at like Christmas dinner table or whatever, because that's like how Cuban people always describe.
Speaker 3: Like just like immigrant families.
Speaker 2: And for so long, it was like my holidays were like, you know, just me and my mom and my dad, and then my sister was born and just the four of us, and now we're having more and more family come and it feels very healing for me because I get to have cousins around and I get to I don't know, just like have access to a lot of things about me that were probably just like in me, but I didn't know that, Oh my cousin has that same I don't know, like have it as me or yeah, or like she has the same tick as my mom or whatever.
Speaker 3: Like it like feels very healing for me.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's incredible, And I hope you get to go back one day.
Speaker 2: Me too, But even Miami in that way feels very healing for me because I get to spend time with them and yeah, it's just like it feels almost like it feels like the new home that we've all had to make because we can't ever like really go back to Cuba or you know, we wouldn't go back to Cuba or go to Mexico. So it feels like Miami is like, Okay, this is like where the new family line is being kind of created.
Speaker 1: It's amazing. Well, Camilla, thank you so much for making the album and for coming to LA and talking to us about I know you'd rather be in Miami, but you're here in mind.
Speaker 3: No, because then I wouldn't have gone to meet you. And you're so lovely.
Speaker 1: You're really good with people. Thank you.
Speaker 3: Stop it, no, I really mean it.
Speaker 2: You have you have really great energy, very you have very calming, kind energy.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you. I appreciate that. Thanks to Camila Cabello for chatting about the making of her new album Sex. You can hear all of our favorite Camilokbeo tracks on a playlist at broken record podcast dot com. Subscribe to our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com slash broken Record Podcast, where you can find all of our new episodes. You can follow us on Twitter at broken Record. Broken Record is produced and edited by Leah Rose, with marketing help from Eric Sandler and Jordan McMillan. Our engineer is Ben Tolliday. Broken Record is a production of Pushkin Industries. If you love this show and others from Pushkin, consider subscribing to Pushkin Plus. Pushkin Plus is a podcast subscription that offers bonus content and ad free listening for four ninety nine a month. Look for Pushkin Plus on Apple Podcasts subscriptions. And if you like this show, please remember to share, rate, interview us on your podcast app. Our theme music's by Kenny Beats. I'm justin Richmond,